Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This interview is not of someone who will ever be Tory leader

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This interview is not of someone who will ever be Tory leader or Prime Minister, let alone the next one.

For quite some time I’ve been advising laying Gavin Williamson for next PM and Tory leader, somebody once compared him to an incontinent puppy and his media performances seem to confirm that, wherever he goes there’s a great steaming pile of excrement not far behind.

Read the full story here

Comments

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    First, unlike Gavin
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,768
    FPT

ydoethur said:

I'm sure those seven or eight voters who listen will make all the difference.
    Clearly you have never campaigned in a tight Westminster by-election.
    Nope, I never have.

But the only way this will be a tight by-election is if the canvassers are offered free brandy.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    He's truly the pineapple on this pizza of a Government.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    2nd like Liverpool.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,404
    Let's not forget that Tezzie promoted this nutty.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    How do you get savaged by Richard Madeley?!

Truly, we live in an age without heroes.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited May 2018
    ydoethur said:

FPT

ydoethur said:

Nope, I never have.

But the only way this will be a tight by-election is if the canvassers are offered free brandy.
    It is quite common to offer lifts to people to get to the polling station if they are on your side and mobility restricted and it’s expected to be close.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    He's so bad, he combines Michael Howards ability to answer questions with John Major's style and ability to get to the point . Not leadership material at all . Hmmmm.
    He is a very popular constituency MP, for whatever that's worth. They think he's very assiduous, very kind, very friendly. A quick way of making yourself highly unpopular is to criticise him when in South Staffs (which I obviously am fairly often).

But then the good burghers of Islington think the same of Jeremy Corbyn.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    MaxPB said:

How do you get savaged by Richard Madeley?!

Truly, we live in an age without heroes.

Perhaps we need a new gold standard Sunday morning political show: "Judge and Judy"
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

FPT

ydoethur said:

Nope, I never have.

It is quite common to offer lifts to people to get to the polling station if they are on your side and mobility restricted and it’s expected to be close.
    Not the voters - the canvassers. And not lifts - snifters.

I am also assuming you don't expect the actual election to be close...
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    He should simply have said no.

I'm pretty sure he promotes himself and she was too weak to do anything about it. Tbh, she should have stood behind Fallon.
    MaxPB said:

I'm pretty sure he promotes himself and she was too weak to do anything about it. Tbh, she should have stood behind Fallon.
    Much safer than sitting next to him.
    MaxPB said:

... probably the safest place!
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    Ouch

That was painful.

Also he's stolen Vince Cable's droning delivery.
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    This semolina-brained clot is not fit to be secretary of his local toy soldiers club, never mind the MoD.
    As an aside, Madeley is incredibly youthful-looking.

Remarkable as it might seem, he is 62 years of age.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Seats have been won by fewer than 7 votes.
    However....
    If this seat has seven votes in it on the final count, then Jeremy Corbyn will be an ex-Labour leader by noon on 15th June.
    From previous thread

My prediction for Lewisham East (versus 2017)

Lab 54 (-14)
    Con 18 (-5)
    LD 23 (+19)

The Tory messiah is not Williamson but Davidson.
    https://twitter.com/davies_will/status/1001483156699189253
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,922

I'd have thought having tipped Priti Patel and then Esther McVey, he'd have been high on your list of the runners and riders.
    ydoethur said:

He is a very popular constituency MP, for whatever that's worth. They think he's very assiduous, very kind, very friendly. A quick way of making yourself highly unpopular is to criticise him when in South Staffs (which I obviously am fairly often).

I can see he might be very assiduous, very kind, very friendly. But he's transparently ambitious and just comes across as a naive wally. The military top brass must hate him being their boss.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    Evening all :)

He'll probably end up like another former Defence Secretary, doing travel programmes but for one of the really naff satellite channels. It'll be called "Williamson's Wanderings" or something like that.
  • ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,501
    rcs1000 said:

Ouch

That was painful.

Also he's stolen Vince Cable's droning delivery.

His voice alone is annoying enough to make him unsuitable for TV or Radio. In this era that should prevent him becoming leader.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,404

I'd have thought having tipped Priti Patel and then Esther McVey, he'd have been high on your list of the runners and riders.
    Not swivel-eyed enough for my taste.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Isn't he the favourite one on Teresa May? Anyone know why? Because he's so useless he can't possibly be a threat?
  • BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    ydoethur said:

I live in Staffordshire South. People around here would vote for Peter Pumpkinhead* if he wore a blue rosette.

* last seen nailed to a block of wood.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    Have some people really been putting money on Williamson ?

Seriously ?
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414
    Blimey. Just watched it. I think that’s more cringeworthy than the infamous Paxo-Howard encounter.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

Seriously ?

Not anyone who listens to @Richard_Nabavi - he pointed out the foolishness of such a position months ago...
    stodge said:

He'll probably end up like another former Defence Secretary, doing travel programmes but for one of the really naff satellite channels. It'll be called "Williamson's Wanderings" or something like that.

How about a journey on the trans-siberian railway?
    Re ethnic minorities in the countryside.

Emmerdale Farm usually has a higher than real life non-white population whereas Eastenders has steadily got more outer London over the years.

The BBC always seem to have ethnic minority presenters on their rural programs.
    stodge said:

He could do property shows with Kirstie Allsopp. He'd be the annoying sidekick who wants to put a nice fireplace in every room.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    edited May 2018
    TBF to Mr. Madeley, I remenber him from my childhood presenting on Granada Reports (local news). He formed a remakable triumvirate with Tony Wilson (of Hacienda and Factory Records fame), and his wife to be. Judy Finnigan. All 3 rose to national prominence.
    Wilson would do the culture and the sport, Finnigan the human interest, while the serious political/news interviews were Madeley's. He was a serious journalist and a tenacious interviewer.
    His reputation for light-hearted fluff came when he moved to national daytime TV.
    And, yes. I can well believe he is 62. He seems to have been around forever.

Emmerdale Farm usually has a higher than real life non-white population whereas Eastenders has steadily got more outer London over the years.

Perhaps they've had a look at the viewing figures among non-white voters.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Blimey. Just watched it. I think that’s more cringeworthy than the infamous Paxo-Howard encounter.

Who went on to be leader.
    Jonathan said:

As the safe pair of hands candidate after IDS... If we follow that pattern we'll need some truly awful candidates before its Gavin's turn.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    Mortimer said:

Seriously ?

Not anyone who listens to @Richard_Nabavi - he pointed out the foolishness of such a position months ago...
    I don't think I need the wisdom of Richard Nabavi to realise that the defence secretary is a grade A pillock
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,972
    I trust you've all clicked on the link of the Shatner video?

If Gavin is reading this blog, my advice is - don't be upset but do take it to heart. You are better suited to a more invisible role like Chief Whip. Perhaps a job swap with Julian? Have a word with Theresa.
  • ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,501
    Barnesian said:

If Gavin is reading this blog, my advice is - don't be upset but do take it to heart. You are better suited to a more invisible role like Chief Whip. Perhaps a job swap with Julian? Have a word with Theresa.
    And remember that this will be wheeled out on TV and social media for years. If you can't cope with Richard Madeley, the voters cannot trust you to be PM. End of. And to the Tory MPs who think we'd vote for them with him as leader? No. Just No.
    Mortimer said:

Seriously ?

This Nabavi fellow must be some sort of sage.

Oh my gawd!
    dixiedean said:

TBF to Mr. Madeley, I remenber him from my childhood presenting on Granada Reports (local news). He formed a remakable triumvirate with Tony Wilson (of Hacienda and Factory Records fame), and his wife to be. Judy Finnigan. All 3 rose to national prominence.
    Wilson would do the culture and the sport, Finnigan the human interest, while the serious political/news interviews were Madeley's. He was a serious journalist and a tenacious interviewer.
    His reputation for light-hearted fluff came when he moved to national daytime TV.
    And, yes. I can well believe he is 62. He seems to have been around forever.

He’s had a very long and successful career. As you say, people forget that he is serious journalist by profession. I think the fluff paid much better and was probably a lot easier!
    You fucker TSE...that Shatner link should be illegal. I cannot unforget what I have just witnessed

I managed 20 seconds!
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Barnesian said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

However....
    If this seat has seven votes in it on the final count, then Jeremy Corbyn will be an ex-Labour leader by noon on 15th June.
    From previous thread

Lab 54 (-14)
    Con 18 (-5)
    LD 23 (+19)

Have you been campaigning there.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    :lol: Terrible. And the casual viewer will be left wondering why there are herds of majestic wildebeest elephants wandering around in the background.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043

Barnesian said:

And remember that this will be wheeled out on TV and social media for years. If you can't cope with Richard Madeley, the voters cannot trust you to be PM. End of. And to the Tory MPs who think we'd vote for them with him as leader? No. Just No.
    You need to send this view by letter to Mrs May, as rumour has it she is his only fan.
  • surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Seriously ?

He certainly acts like one.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    Interesting to see Ruth Davidson making a pitch to be party leader.

I didn't realise she wanted to lead the Liberal Democrats.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    edited May 2018
    Lol yes. Poor chap.

Incidentally, my tongue was slightly in my cheek on the last thread. But I still don't know what pub cricket is. Something like fantasy football? (Perhaps, like Mr Williamson, I should stop digging.)

I will keep Josiah's warning about dogging in mind, should the subject come up...

• hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Agree completely re: Gavin Williamson. I have some dirt on this 'individual' but it wouldn't be appropriate to share it on this forum. He certainly won't make it anywhere near PM after today.
    AndyJS said:

Barnesian said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

However....
    From previous thread

Lab 54 (-14)
    Con 18 (-5)
    LD 23 (+19)

Not yet but I'm inside the campaign on their virtual HQ.
    Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:

Barnesian said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

However....
    From previous thread

Lab 54 (-14)
    Con 18 (-5)
    LD 23 (+19)

Not yet but I'm inside the campaign on their virtual HQ.
    Your prediction is pretty much what I was thinking as well.
    stodge said:

Is it just a go pro video uploaded to YouTube where he gets lost in the English countryside?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

I'm not that bold
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Presumably Madeley will be doing this to every politician he now interviews, since none of them answer the (awkward) questions they are asked.

edited May 2018
    stodge said:

That was a very bland speech. If Ruthie is the coming Tory messiah you're probably well-fecked imo
    Jonathan said:

Hardly a good omen for the Tories, that.
    Well it was my first day in a new job today (which was excellent). And what a firecracker day on the financial markets - worst performing day of Italian credit and debt since the 2011 crisis. Finally, finally the great sovereign debt crisis that I've been predicting has started with the Italian banking system as I thought it would, although it has taken much longer to ignite than I (and I daresay many others) expected.

I had to laugh at Gunther Oettinger's comments:

https://www.politico.eu/article/oettinger-italy-markets-will-give-signal-not-to-vote-for-populists/

The market won't punish the populists. It will over the next 2.5 years punish the faulty design of the Euro where the sovereign debt areas are not contiguous with the common currency Euro area. This design has been tried in history and always fails, as sooner or later capital migrates to the areas where the sovereign debt is perceived to be stronger and away from the weaker states. Yes the ECB and Mario Draghi's 'do whatever it takes' speech held the line for longer than I thought was possible, but it's all starting to come apart at the seams yet again. When Italy came together in the 1861 unification after the 2 independence wars, their leaders knew that all the sovereign debts of all the constituent parts forming that unification had to be consolidated into one, as did the leaders of other European states that came together historically post the reformation following out of the dark ages.

If those leaders knew that lesson then, then it beggars belief that the EU leaders in the mid to late 1990's (Mitterrand and Kohl principally) didn't know that lesson?! Well according to someone I know on the inside, they did know that lesson, but wanted to get the Euro currency circulating first, and then they'd address the consolidating the debt issue later. Well Mitterrand and Kohl soon faded from the stage at that time, and the leaders who followed never knew that the consolidation of debt had to be done in order to safeguard the long term viability of the Euro, long before the nightmare in Greece and Southern Italy with 60% youth unemployment in parts on the periphery unfolded. Another example of the lessons of history not having been learnt or remembered sadly, with tragic results for many in the Euro area today.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Lol yes. Poor chap.

Incidentally, my tongue was slightly in my cheek on the last thread. But I still don't know what pub cricket is. Something like fantasy football? (Perhaps, like Mr Williamson, I should stop digging.)

I will keep Josiah's warning about dogging in mind, should the subject come up...

There is a brilliant joke about it in Car Share - based on the confusion between dogs and ... well I will leave it to you to find out. Or not.

PS If pub cricket is as boring as ordinary cricket, then your lack of knowledge about it is probably a blessing.

** .... runs and hides .... **

Presumably Madeley will be doing this to every politician he now interviews, since none of them answer the (awkward) questions they are asked.

It does seem to be a badge of honour amongst aspiring politicians not to answer the question put to them. I can appreciate they want to manage the agenda and get key points across but if they should answer the question at the second time of asking, otherwise, as we have seen, they just look foolish and shifty.
    edited May 2018
    Edit: hunchman beat me to it.

"Europe’s confusion and tension over Italy’s deepening political crisis was manifest on Tuesday as some of the EU’s most senior figures sparred over how to respond.

Günther Oettinger, Germany’s EU commissioner, hinted that the upheaval in markets, with Italian bond yields spiking to their highest in years, would exert healthy, pro-European discipline on Italian voters as they confront an unprecedented second election within a calendar year."

https://www.ft.com/content/8edfb128-631f-11e8-90c2-9563a0613e56
    kle4 said:

I'm not that bold
    Very wise - I wish I hadn't, I'll have trouble sleeping tonight now.
    surby said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Seriously ?

He certainly acts like one.

The great one, Nabavi, doesn't like me much...but then I dared once in a moment of utter weakness to call him pompous....

I'm glad his loyal acolyte, Mortimer, has restored him to his rightful role

• MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

It does seem to be a badge of honour amongst aspiring politicians not to answer the question put to them. I can appreciate they want to manage the agenda and get key points across but if they should answer the question at the second time of asking, otherwise, as we have seen, they just look foolish and shifty.

Perhaps he should have said something like: "These comments are wrong at a time when threats are still going on. But spies and the public have been let down by both sides and Russia has acted in a reckless and provocative manner."

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,081

Lol yes. Poor chap.

Pub Cricket is a driving game when children are bored in the car. One bats, and the object is to score runs. The number of runs is based on the number of limbs of the pub title. An out happens for every non limbed sign. So the Black Horse scores 4 points, the Green Man 4 points, The Kings Head is an out, and the Slug and Lettuce starts an argument about whether a slug has a limb. After each out the batter changes. It is good on rural roads, less so on Motorways.

On the vital issue of the day I spotted 15 cyclists on my way home. 4 white, 4 Afro-Caribbean, 7 Asian. Only one female, and only one wearing any sort of cycling clothing (Deliveroo rider). My verdict is that the Leicester Cycling Commisar is doing a fine job up the Humberstone Rd. Either that or the folk there cannot afford a car to get to work! The Cycling shop on Humberstone Road is Asian owned and goes by the great name of "The Bike Pedlar". No Hipsters or MAMiLs seen.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,753
    edited May 2018
    Soros's milkshake sure brings all the racist loons to his yard.

https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/status/1001513639147274240
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Every now and then he falls apart.
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

ydoethur said:

I live in Staffordshire South. People around here would vote for Peter Pumpkinhead* if he wore a blue rosette.

98% White - *Noted*

• MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

Every now and then he falls apart.

I think you just won the Internet.

Lol yes. Poor chap.

Actually I didn't know what pub cricket was either.

I assumed that it was a pub which had a cricket team on the local village green or for this Scottish pub on the local beach:

https://www.shipinn.scot/cricket/

but it turns out to be a way of passing long car journeys by looking at pub signs:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hometruths/0318pub_cricket.shtml

I vaguely remember Auf Wiedersehen Pet showing this game while in Cuba but with roadkill instead of pub signs.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,774
    What are the odds on Tommy Robinson becoming Tory Leader?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,081

Not swivel-eyed enough for my taste.
    He does advocate Niclear War, which surely is a bit swivelly:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/defence-cuts-could-force-britain-12588047.amp
    A relative of mine just spent a million quid on a house in outer London. It's not very nice either judging by the pictures. They also have to pay the additional stamp duty because they've decided to hold on to their previous property.

They didn't take any advice from anyone in the family despite most of us working in some kind of finance.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I played pub cricket as a child. There were a lot of arguments about The Beehive.
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited May 2018

I'm sure it started as something of an art form, where the person answering would cleverly shift the answer around in a way that would at least appear to a decent number of people to be answering the question, now our politicians almost completely ignore the question and give a good answer to some completely different question.

I'm not sure they are any worse for dodging questions, they just seem to be less skilled at it than they used to be...

Edit: Don't know pub cricket, pub golf on the other hand....

Soros's milkshake sure brings all the racist loons to his yard.

https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/status/1001513639147274240

The f***? Is that genuine?! Christ

stodge said:

That was a very bland speech. If Ruthie is the coming Tory messiah you're probably well-fecked imo
    I think they'd settle for 'not crap', let alone a messiah.
    MaxPB said:

A relative of mine just spent a million quid on a house in outer London. It's not very nice either judging by the pictures. They also have to pay the additional stamp duty because they've decided to hold on to their previous property.

They didn't take any advice from anyone in the family despite most of us working in some kind of finance.

Is there any social cachet in buying a million quid house ?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,532
    Pub cricket is a part of my childhood that I had utterly forgotten about.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2018

Eastenders should be set in Billericay Essex of Gavin and Stacey fame - even outer London bar perhaps Richmond and Twickenham - isn't that undiverse.

Still they sent a strong message last week - don't steal other people's bikes as no good will come of it!
    Very interesting straw in the wind that the place where I have moved to, which is about as genteel Tory as you will get had a "Free Tommy" Robinson banner at the weekend at the main river bridge in the town. Yet another incident which shows that whatever you think of his views, and I disassociate myself completely from his anti-Islamic hysteria, that freedom of speech has been fatally undermined by this government, to its eternal shame. The mainstream media may be ignoring this story, but I sense that there is a ground swell of opinion that could rear its head in a most ugly way at a point down the line.

At least I no longer have Caroline Nokes as my constituency MP any longer........although the Tory MP on my new patch is no better!

MaxPB said:

Is there any social cachet in buying a million quid house ?
    I guess so I've had a message from the relative, the mum and brother about it and they all mention it was over a million quid. More money than sense. Some estate agent has earned their bonus today.
  • May's reasoning for having Williamson as her blue eyed boy, I suspect, is that ministerial competence is key, and that presentation isn't that important. After all, it got her to Downing Street.

Leaving aside whether Gav is competent rather than, say, a massively out of his depth Axminster salesman, being able to front it up in a campaign really matters, and we have an example of that which isn't yet a year old.

Is Williamson utterly out of the running? Bizarrely, no. The field is unbelievably weak.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    MaxPB said:

How does it compare to err this one :

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72714215.html - 2806 sq ft and a 50 metre back garden, good value for a million quid in London I reckon !
    brendan16 said:

Eastenders should be set in Billericay Essex of Gavin and Stacey fame - even outer London bar perhaps Richmond and Twickenham - isn't that undiverse.

Still they sent a strong message last week - don't steal other people's bikes as no good will come of it!
    Billericay would be too middle class but I think Hornchurch might still fit.

Given the lack of London references and storylines Eastenders could be set anywhere.
    AndyJS said:

Edit: hunchman beat me to it.

"Europe’s confusion and tension over Italy’s deepening political crisis was manifest on Tuesday as some of the EU’s most senior figures sparred over how to respond.

Günther Oettinger, Germany’s EU commissioner, hinted that the upheaval in markets, with Italian bond yields spiking to their highest in years, would exert healthy, pro-European discipline on Italian voters as they confront an unprecedented second election within a calendar year."

https://www.ft.com/content/8edfb128-631f-11e8-90c2-9563a0613e56

Thanks AndyJS - what's your take on Lewisham East? I know the area a bit, although it was my final year at the LSE when I lived in Lewisham West, and when Eltham was my stomping ground at the 1997 general election........since which time there has been enormous demographic change which rather renders my experience and knowledge from 20 years ago rather redundant.

I think that Labour 54, Tory down a bit, Lib Dem low 20's prediction to be broadly on the money if I had to guess from afar.
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72714215.html - 2806 sq ft and a 50 metre back garden, good value for a million quid in London I reckon !
    Well this is in North West London so the prices are going to be on a different level to any SE postcode. Value wise that looks much, much better though.
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Do the locals count Bromley as London ?
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    hunchman said:

Very interesting straw in the wind that the place where I have moved to, which is about as genteel Tory as you will get had a "Free Tommy" Robinson banner at the weekend at the main river bridge in the town. Yet another incident which shows that whatever you think of his views, and I disassociate myself completely from his anti-Islamic hysteria, that freedom of speech has been fatally undermined by this government, to its eternal shame. The mainstream media may be ignoring this story, but I sense that there is a ground swell of opinion that could rear its head in a most ugly way at a point down the line.

At least I no longer have Caroline Nokes as my constituency MP any longer........although the Tory MP on my new patch is no better!

Tommy Robinson is emphatically not a free speech martyr.

The authorities are acting entirely properly in seeking to preserve the integrity of the trial process.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Staffs South does have the lovely Kinver Edge to recommend it if not the local MP!
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    It does seem as though GW is a complete waste of space...
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    tyson said:

Mortimer said:

Seriously ?

I don't think I need the wisdom of Richard Nabavi to realise that the defence secretary is a grade A pillock
    True, but I pointed it out long before you'd heard of him, when others were suggesting he was a bet for next PM.
    Mind you, as Defence Secretaries go, Gavin Williamson is only middling in the pilllock stakes. Just look at some of the Blair appointees (Des Browne, Geoff Hoon, Bob Ainsworth...) and weep:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_of_State_for_Defence
    edited May 2018
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Here's another good value property - an ex Council house.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63781288.html

Nice wide angle lens!
    On the other hand, and to be fair to him, it does seem that he was a good Chief Whip and before that a good PPS to Cameron. The thing is, being a front-line politician who has to perform in the media is a completely different skill.

Mind you, as Defence Secretaries go, Gavin Williamson is only middling in the pilllock stakes. Just look at some of the Blair appointees (Des Browne, Geoff Hoon, Bob Ainsworth...) and weep:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_of_State_for_Defence

Does Des Browne only count as half a pillock as he was also Scottish Secretary at the same time.
This discussion has been closed.