Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Europe: The Final Countdown. Eight days to go until the Common

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited June 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Europe: The Final Countdown. Eight days to go until the Commons votes on those Brexit amendments

Cancel all plans for June 12 pic.twitter.com/LSHBwCsXId

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Quiet. Too quiet.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Dear Colleague? Why has colleague got a capital C and is there not some sort of electrical gizmo that will stick MPs' names into the letter?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    Evening all :)

Well, it makes a pleasant change from numpties writing "First, like LEAVE, Mrs May and No" or "Second, like Corbyn, REMAIN and Yes" or whatever inanity someone can come up with.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    If reversed will the Lords try again?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828

Dear Colleague? Why has colleague got a capital C and is there not some sort of electrical gizmo that will stick MPs' names into the letter?

It's something used a lot in workplaces. It's interesting the MPs are seen in those terms as a work force and part of a team rather than as supported individuals.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    dodrade said:

I expect some will try but I doubt there would be a majority to send it back. The government would be well within its rights to then send 500 new temporary peers to the upper house and ram through all legislation.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    edited June 2018
    I suspect this will be a damp squib, with most of the Tories falling into line and voting every amendment down. The Brexit ultras are just too powerful and threatening to defy. It would be a brave Tory MP to invite their wrath.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

I watched Solo yesterday. It's absolutely crap. There is a new jar jar binks level character in it and all the acting is awful.

I didn't like it much, but I must have missed the Jar Jar level character!
    As @rcs1000 mentioned, the stupid L3 robot. Awful character. Almost irritating enough for me to walk out of the cinema. Even my fairly feminist partner found the robot extremely irritating "reminds me of that friend no one wants to invite to stuff".
  • Options
    PurplePurple Posts: 150
    edited June 2018
    Boys and girls are different and saying boys "should be allowed" to wear girls' clothes because discrimination is bad and because transsexuals have rights is insane. And contrary to what the entire British media have said, no it is not possible for a man to get pregnant and give birth.

Those who believe that law and public policy should where feasible prioritise individual rights over any concept of the public good might as well support the legalisation of incest and incestuous marriage, and why not recognise polygamous marriage too?

Nor do people have a right to expect mental illness to be recognised as sanity.

I believe people should have the right to eat turd sandwiches if they wish, but I don't think they should have the right to sit on buses next to the non-turd-eating majority ostentatiously eating turd sandwiches or to stick up posters on school noticeboards saying come to our big turd-sandwich eating festival on Saturday where we'll be advocating that eating turds should be officially recognised as being as "normal" as eating food that doesn't contain faeces.

It's so liberal infantile to want to base everything on everyone doing whatever they want in a culture where all actions are considered equally valid.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    MaxPB said:

dodrade said:

I expect some will try but I doubt there would be a majority to send it back. The government would be well within its rights to then send 500 new temporary peers to the upper house and ram through all legislation.
    Except the Government lost its majority last year with this manifesto so I'd expect Her Majesty to refuse any appointment of peers.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

I suspect this will be a damp squib, with most of the Tories falling into line and voting every amendment down. The Brexit ultras are just too powerful and threatening to defy. It would be a brave Tory MP to invite their wrath.

I think it will be a clean slate for the Govt.

Every Lords amendment has so far been overturned.
  • Options
    I think I might do a thread on the People's Budget.

Still cracks me up that the Liberals' two terrible twins were David Lloyd George and Winston Churchill.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Mortimer said:

Not true. Remember the meaningful vote?

You can dismiss it as procedural, but it was still a loss. You might say the same with the customs union vote, but it will be highly damaging to May if it passes.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Purple said:

Boys and girls are different and saying boys "should be allowed" to wear girls' clothes because discrimination is bad and because transsexuals have rights is insane. And contrary to what the entire British media have said, no it is not possible for a man to get pregnant and give birth.

Those who believe that law and public policy should where feasible prioritise individual rights over any concept of the public good might as well support the legalisation of incest and incestuous marriage, and why not recognise polygamous marriage too?

I believe people should have the right to eat turd sandwiches if they wish, but I don't think they should have the right to sit on buses next to the non-turd-eating majority ostentatiously eating turd sandwiches or to stick up posters on school noticeboards saying come to our big turd-sandwich eating festival on Saturday where we'll be advocating that eating turds should be officially recognised as being as "normal" as eating food that doesn't contain faeces.

It's so liberal infantile to want to base everything on everyone doing whatever they want in a culture where all actions are considered equally valid.

Symbolic of a struggle against reality :)

https://youtu.be/sFBOQzSk14c
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291

MaxPB said:

dodrade said:

Except the Government lost its majority last year with this manifesto so I'd expect Her Majesty to refuse any appointment of peers.
    Quite right. In fact it would be would shameful for the government to embarrass Her Majesty by dragging her into an act of wanton constitutional vandalism.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Well, it makes a pleasant change from numpties writing "First, like LEAVE, Mrs May and No" or "Second, like Corbyn, REMAIN and Yes" or whatever inanity someone can come up with.

Those first/second posts do my head in. Utterly banal!

(And often, as you say, repetitive – I must have read that "First, like LEAVE, Mrs May and No" 50-odd times).
  • Options
    PurplePurple Posts: 150
    edited June 2018

"Colleague" has a capital letter because that is the correct form in a salutation. Treat even a common noun as if it were a name or office, e.g. "Dear Friend", etc.

I wish I could think of a joke that might be made about working beyond the "moment of interruption".
  • Options
    Purple said:

You have jumped from school uniforms to public turd-sandwich eating and legalised incest?

Wow.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    Anazina said:

stodge said:

(And often, as you say, repetitive – I must have read that "First, like LEAVE, Mrs May and No" 50-odd times).
    Eighteenth!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

They haven't won every vote – that's factually incorrect.

However, I do agree that this will be a non-event and the simpering Tory wets will buckle in the face of Jacob Rees and his oh-so-scary brethren.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,642
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

However, I do agree that this will be a non-event and the simpering Tory wets will buckle in the face of Jacob Rees and his oh-so-scary brethren.
    My gut says one or two may get through, for all the Brexit ultras have been very powerful so far.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Purple said:

You have jumped from school uniforms to public turd-sandwich eating and legalised incest?

Wow.
    A classic of the slippery slope arguments if ever I have seen one.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

stodge said:

Not as bad as posts moaning about other posts...
  • Options

Anazina said:

stodge said:

Eighteenth!
    Slightly more inventive :D
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2018
    Is there something wrong with the commenting system? Before I logged in just now only the first comment was visible; as soon as I logged in a lot more appeared. That isn't usual on here.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

I watched Solo yesterday. It's absolutely crap. There is a new jar jar binks level character in it and all the acting is awful.

I didn't like it much, but I must have missed the Jar Jar level character!
    As @rcs1000 mentioned, the stupid L3 robot. Awful character. Almost irritating enough for me to walk out of the cinema. Even my fairly feminist partner found the robot extremely irritating "reminds me of that friend no one wants to invite to stuff".
    Many fans have joked about how droids are treated in Star Wars, but that character was one note and not played well, nor was there any payoff. The droid in Rogue One was far funnier and had actual impact to it.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

I didn’t say they’ve won every vote. But every Lords amendment that the Govt opposed has been successfully overturned. I’d be surprised if this time is an exception.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

stodge said:

Eighteenth!
    Slightly more inventive :D
    Twenty-seventh like William Howard Taft.
  • Options

I'm sure there is, but maybe they are overly cautious of mail merging after events like the below, even with just a list of MP names.

https://order-order.com/2018/04/11/donate-tories-must-fing-joking/
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Opinium finds that Labour voters preferred Brexit outcome is to stay in the EEA while Conservative voters preferred outcome is CETA, the Canada trade deal with the EU but also including services.

37% of Labour voters say leaving on WTO terms would be completely unacceptable, 23% say a Canada style trade deal excluding services would be completely unacceptable and 21% say a Canada style deal with services would be completely unacceptable.

30% of Conservative voters say full EEA membership would be completely unacceptable.

However 57% of Conservative voters say EEA membership with immigration restrictions would be acceptable with 41% unacceptable. 66% of Labour voters find this acceptable and 20% unacceptable and 72% of LD voters find this acceptable with 24% unacceptable. The only voters opposed to EEA with restrictions are UKIP voters with 67% finding this unacceptable and 28% acceptable.

http://opinium.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Which-way-to-the-Brexit-FINAL.pdf
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

stodge said:

Not as bad as posts moaning about other posts...
    Meta moan from you!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Is there something wrong with the commenting system? Before I logged in just now only the first comment was visible; as soon as I logged in a lot more appeared. That isn't usual on here.

The quality of debate was better in the early phase of this thread.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I've had loads of trouble, seemingly unrelated to being logged in or not. for a day or two it even prevented me from posting, which might be more of a feature than a bug ... :)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Purple said:

"Colleague" has a capital letter because that is the correct form in a salutation. Treat even a common noun as if it were a name or office, e.g. "Dear Friend", etc.

I wish I could think of a joke that might be made about working beyond the "moment of interruption".
    I'm disappointed that my elected representative didn't use 'Comrades'.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

AndyJS said:

I've had loads of trouble, seemingly unrelated to being logged in or not. for a day or two it even prevented me from posting, which might be more of a feature than a bug ... :)
    I've had trouble too. The incredibly wise thoughts I post seem somehow to be transformed in to the not quite so wise after a little while.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

I don't know. The first post was definitely missing a 'first'.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Opinium finds that Labour voters preferred Brexit outcome is to stay in the EEA while Conservative voters preferred outcome is CETA, the Canada trade deal with the EU but also including services.

37% of Labour voters say leaving on WTO terms would be completely unacceptable, 23% say a Canada style trade deal excluding services would be completely unacceptable and 21% say a Canada style deal with services would be completely unacceptable.

30% of Conservative voters say full EEA membership would be completely unacceptable.

However 57% of Conservative voters say EEA membership with immigration restrictions would be acceptable with 41% unacceptable. 66% of Labour voters find this acceptable and 20% unacceptable and 72% of LD voters find this acceptable with 24% unacceptable. The only voters opposed to EEA with restrictions are UKIP voters with 67% finding this unacceptable and 28% acceptable.

http://opinium.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Which-way-to-the-Brexit-FINAL.pdf

Sadly, EEA with restrictions is effectively impossible, as I understand it. Otherwise, it would be worthy of further investigation as a solution to this sorry mess.
  • Options

Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

I have bunged a 'last' on the previous thread as a friendly compromise.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Nicholas Parsons is taking a couple of days off it seems. 94 and still going strong though. When I was at school (and perhaps still now) there was a prominent graffiti written on our school wall - 'Nicholas Parsons is the neo-opiate of the people'. I can't really imagine who wrote such a thing - it's pretty damn sophisticated as graffiti goes. I think though it's rather swayed me against him - that, and a certain smugness and grandeur on 'sale of the century'. However as I reflect I realise he's an enormously nice chap. I wish him all the best.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

Are you sure?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I’m disappointed in you @TheScreamingEagles

Only one Eighties pun?

What happened to [Orchestral] Manouveres in the Dark and Two Tribes Go to War?

Or even Enola May?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    HYUFD said:

The real issue is what the EU27 find acceptable.

If its not on the menu, then no point in ordering it, like asking for the Peking Duck at McDonalds.
  • Options
    Purple said:

Why do you think that a border in Ireland will reignite the Troubles? (FPT)

• Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

Are you sure?
    Its accuracy was fleeting.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    HYUFD said:

Am wary of these kind of polls though. The difference between EEA and CETA and WTO is an esoteric topic for your average voter. Not sure I would be confident of explaining the difference even after years of reading PB!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

If its not on the menu, then no point in ordering it, like asking for the Peking Duck at McDonalds.
    Sadly the 27 member states won't have a say. It will be their overlords in Brussels who will decide what is and isn't acceptable. And if that is to the detriment of all 28 of us, they won't give a damn. Just as long as it dissuades everyone else from making a break for freedom.

Night all.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

MaxPB said:

dodrade said:

The Liberals lost their majority in 1910. But King George V accepted that the Commons could not be defied by the Lords.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Only one Eighties pun?

Or even Enola May?

I've had a very long day.

Plus I've got half an hour to write the morning thread.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

dodrade said:

The Liberals lost their majority in 1910. But King George V accepted that the Commons could not be defied by the Lords.
    Not exactly the same however, as the King insisted on new elections before he agreed to new Peers.
    Edit...he says confidently...heads off to check...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

dodrade said:

But that was then, this is now.

Does the Salisbuy-Addison convention apply to minority governments?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Sadly, EEA with restrictions is effectively impossible, as I understand it. Otherwise, it would be worthy of further investigation as a solution to this sorry mess.
    Most probably, unless we get something akin to the transition controls Blair lost us
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

More what France and Germany would find acceptable, I expect Poland, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy, Greece, Denmark etc would be more amenable to giving us 'EEA with restrictions'
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    MaxPB said:

dodrade said:

You cannot have temporary peers. Tony Benn wanted a 1000 peers to abolish the Lords.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Am wary of these kind of polls though. The difference between EEA and CETA and WTO is an esoteric topic for your average voter. Not sure I would be confident of explaining the difference even after years of reading PB!
    See p14 and 15 for the explanations given to those polled

• Options
    dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

dodrade said:

Not exactly the same however, as the King insisted on new elections before he agreed to new Peers.
    Edit...he says confidently...heads off to check...
    In fact the Lords caved in after 2 General Elections. They balked when made aware the King was reluctantly willing to do so. However, this option was never carried out, so it is not really a precedent.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Still remain wary. It is rather like choosing a car from looking at it rather than test driving it.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

More what France and Germany would find acceptable, I expect Poland, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy, Greece, Denmark etc would be more amenable to giving us 'EEA with restrictions'
    Any deal has to be signed off by all, and the EU27 have managed a solidarity that even our own Cabinet can not manage. The only deal that we can definitely choose is No Deal. The rest require the opposition to co-operate.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

dodrade said:

We'll find out, when and if the Queen rules on the point.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Still remain wary. It is rather like choosing a car from looking at it rather than test driving it.
    That will be the same whatever Brexit deal done
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Not much point in offering people scenarios that cannot be delivered in the real world. Just because the leave campaign did it in the referendum is no reason for respectable polling organisations to follow suit.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Charles said:

Only one Eighties pun?

Or even Enola May?

HMG turning its back on PFI nonsense because government borrowing is cheaper (which is what Ken Livingstone fell out with Gordon Brown over).
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44363366
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Any deal has to be signed off by all, and the EU27 have managed a solidarity that even our own Cabinet can manage. The only deal that we can definitely choose is No Deal. The rest require the opposition to co-operate.
    The EU has managed that so far, with the Freedom Party now partly in government in Austria and Five Star and Lega Nord forming the government in Italy and Orban and the Poles flexing their muscles we will see how long that absolute unanimity lasts. However as we both agree if the EU heart of the French and Germans and Luxembourg and Belgium don't approve a deal it won't happen because of the unanimity requirement
  • Options
    Ramos, what a legend/c*** (delete as appropriate). Not only did he get Salah off the pitch, he gave Karius a concussion which was why he looked so dodgy for the match.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

I reckon so too.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Sadly the 27 member states won't have a say. It will be their overlords in Brussels who will decide what is and isn't acceptable. And if that is to the detriment of all 28 of us, they won't give a damn. Just as long as it dissuades everyone else from making a break for freedom.

Night all.
    You're just making things up
  • Options

Charles said:

Only one Eighties pun?

Or even Enola May?

It was also Killing Moon not Manouveres in the Dark I was thinking of....
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

dodrade said:

I believe it does. The government is merely that group of office holders that supports the individual who commands a majority of the house.

People also argue that the manifesto doesn’t count as it didn’t win a majority - but the DUP has agreed to support the government (at least of s&c+b). Those who seek to disapply the convention are playing fast and loose with a system that works
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Charles said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

dodrade said:

I believe it does. The government is merely that group of office holders that supports the individual who commands a majority of the house.

People also argue that the manifesto doesn’t count as it didn’t win a majority - but the DUP has agreed to support the government (at least of s&c+b). Those who seek to disapply the convention are playing fast and loose with a system that works
    That would be a weak argument at the best of times but in support of a government that is ignoring the Sewel convention for its own convenience, it looks pitiful.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    It's all jolly exciting isn't it? :D
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

dodrade said:

That would be a weak argument at the best of times but in support of a government that is ignoring the Sewel convention for its own convenience, it looks pitiful.
    The Sewel convention is nonsense. Why should Westminster give an implicit veto to subordinate legislatures that are elected with lower turnouts?

The Salisbury convention says the unelected don’t have a right to veto the manifesto of the elected. What would you do instead?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

Charles said:

Only one Eighties pun?

Or even Enola May?

You've had a blue monday by the sounds of things presumably about the state of the nation. Don't give in to temptation and start walking round the park when it gets late at night.
  • Options

Charles said:

Only one Eighties pun?

Or even Enola May?

You've had a blue monday by the sounds of things presumably about the state of the nation. Don't give in to temptation and start walking round the park when it gets late at night.
    Last year Theresa May scheduled the general election on my girlfriend's birthday.

I wonder what she's got planned to overshadow the big day.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    I really don't get why people think losing the customs vote would endanger May's premiership. She's not going to be putsched by a Remainer at this point, and there'd be no point in a Brexiteer takeover if the Commons numbers aren't there for a different approach.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

dodrade said:

The Sewel convention is nonsense. Why should Westminster give an implicit veto to subordinate legislatures that are elected with lower turnouts?

The Salisbury convention says the unelected don’t have a right to veto the manifesto of the elected. What would you do instead?
    Have you really reached the point of saying that conventions you don’t like are therefore to be discarded? I mean, I know Brexit has addled the brain of many Leavers but that’s a new low.

As for the Salisbury convention, which dates from the 1940s not 1911, that convention arose when Labour had a majority of three figures in the Commons. The Conservatives now have no majority and nothing like the moral authority. The “manifesto of the elected” argument suffers from the considerable defect that the current government is brokered, not in position by sheer strength of mandate. Their lordships are entitled to look at claims of “the will of the people” with a jaundiced eye.
  • Options
    Have the DUP confirmed which way they’re voting yet? The logic of their recent statements would imply that they’re voting against.
  • Options

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

dodrade said:

The SNP is trying to abuse the Sewel convention

The U.K. government has committed to transfer the relevant powers to Scotland as soon as they are repatriated to the U.K.

Sewel never intended that the Scottish Parliament would have an effective veto over the U.K. parliament’s decisions
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    edited June 2018
    FPT @Charles I’m surprised about Shaun Bailey in Kensington. We worked closely with him in Hammersmith in 2010 and he was exceptional.
  • Options

Have the DUP confirmed which way they’re voting yet? The logic of their recent statements would imply that they’re voting against.
    I've been texting a seasoned Westminster watcher, he says the DUP are absolutely fuming and are in no mood to help the government.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1003746139294793729
    https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1003702001321070592

The fact that one of those is Karen Bradley...
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

dodrade said:

Have you really reached the point of saying that conventions you don’t like are therefore to be discarded? I mean, I know Brexit has addled the brain of many Leavers but that’s a new low.

As for the Salisbury convention, which dates from the 1940s not 1911, that convention arose when Labour had a majority of three figures in the Commons. The Conservatives now have no majority and nothing like the moral authority. The “manifesto of the elected” argument suffers from the considerable defect that the current government is brokered, not in position by sheer strength of mandate. Their lordships are entitled to look at claims of “the will of the people” with a jaundiced eye.
    The current government has a pretty strong mandate. If the Commons reverses the Lords' Amendments, and the Lords fight to the bitter end, the Lords will lose.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,801
    Coordinated call across the north's regional papers for Grayling to go.

Links to follow.
  • Options

Charles said:

Only one Eighties pun?

Or even Enola May?

Last year Theresa May scheduled the general election on my girlfriend's birthday.

Or maybe Klopp to real Madrid that day?
  • Options

I've been texting a seasoned Westminster watcher, he says the DUP are absolutely fuming and are in no mood to help the government.

I saw that the other way around. The government has decided that the DUP won’t support them on the customs union vote and they’re not going to bother trying a charm offensive.
  • Options

I saw that the other way around. The government has decided that the DUP won’t support them on the customs union vote and they’re not going to bother trying a charm offensive.
    I like your theory.
  • Options

The DUP wouldn't go soft on Brexit if they felt it left them exposed to being cast adrift by Brexiteers who'd be content with a GB-only hard Brexit, so if their calculation has changed, they must feel the Tory Brexiteers are a busted flush.
  • Options

Charles said:

Only one Eighties pun?

Or even Enola May?

Real Madrid are worse than Mark Reckless to me.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1003670403502493701
  • Options

The DUP wouldn't go soft on Brexit if they felt it left them exposed to being cast adrift by Brexiteers who'd be content with a GB-only hard Brexit, so if their calculation has changed, they must feel the Tory Brexiteers are a busted flush.
    Just about the only red line I believe will hold out of the lot of them mooted of late is the DUP’s refusal to contemplate a border in the Irish Sea.
  • Options
    Bercow appears to be aging rapidly.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,801
    edited June 2018
    Pro_Rata said:

Links to follow.

MEN link with all participants should suffice:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/great-north-fightback-enough-enough-14743720

But MEN, Yorkshire Post, Hull Daily News, Huddersfield Examiner & probably other s all running the same headline.

Liverpool Echo and Sheffield Star, not yet, but on board
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Just about the only red line I believe will hold out of the lot of them mooted of late is the DUP’s refusal to contemplate a border in the Irish Sea.
    Unlike the government, the DUP knows what it wants from Brexit and what sacrifices it is prepared to make to get its preferred version.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Links to follow.

Perhaps Grayling should go for the DfT's failures. However the head of Network Rail should certainly go. Mark Carne is due to leave NR soon anyway, but he should go without any golden handshake and with more than a little cloud over him. They've mucked up too much over recent years - the entire electrification debacle is down to them.
  • Options
    The only thing that makes me question that conclusion is it is hardly just remainers who are running riot due to her indecisiveness - the hardcore Tory Brexiters have been flapping about at least as much as any hardcore Tory remainers, surely?
  • Options
    George is always right, no one should ever doubt George, everybody should be more like George.

https://twitter.com/Tim_Wallace/status/1003670642405896192
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    One thing I sure do not envy the americans with is the constant bloody speculation about people preparing presidential runs.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Unlike the government, the DUP knows what it wants from Brexit and what sacrifices it is prepared to make to get its preferred version.
    So it will either be the EU tolerating a wholly non-physical border between NI and RoI or CU/SM for the UK.

I mean it’s hardly control.
  • Options

Charles said:

Only one Eighties pun?

Or even Enola May?

Real Madrid are worse than Mark Reckless to me.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1003670403502493701
    I'm with you there...
  • Options
    Daniel Hannan is now saying he thought the close Brexit result would have led to us just renegotiating the terms of membership.

https://twitter.com/EenVandaag/status/1003677539980664832
This discussion has been closed.