Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest PB/Polling Matters Podcast: Ireland post referendum

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest PB/Polling Matters Podcast: Ireland post referendum & Irish unity, Where are Leave and Remain Voters? David Davis: back-stop or back-down?

The PB / Polling Matters podcast returns! On this week’s episode, Keiran is joined by Irish journalist and host of ‘The Irish Passport’ podcast Naomi O’Leary to discuss the fallout from the recent referendum on abortion and where Ireland goes from here. Naomi gives her take on how Ireland has come to change so much in such a relatively short space of time and the relationship between the Irish people and the Catholic church, alongside perspectives on Brexit in Ireland.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    David Davis should have stuck with presenting the World of Sport on ITV .
  • JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Does anybody know how I can get Bloomberg Anywhere on my N900?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262
    Jonathan said:

David Davis should have stuck with presenting the World of Sport on ITV .

LOL - I am sure Dickie Davies would have made a better job of Brexit!
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Brexit should be Aborted!
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    FPT:

Purple said:

Off-topic: NASA say they found organic molecules on Mars.

Everything else in our solar system has been replicated in other solar systems we have discovered and examined. I expect life to be no exception.

As to whether it's intelligent? On other solar systems maybe......
    One of the fascinating aspects of the search for life is the way we so often think we are exceptional. Two decades ago, I remember reading in serious journals about issues realting to the Drake equation. They went like: "It is possible that our solar system is the only one with planets," a few years before we discovered the first exoplanet. Then it became: "It is possible that other solar systems only have gas giants," etc, etc.

The thinking is that we, and our situation, is exceptional. Yet every time such barriers are probed, we find that we are not exceptional.

This makes me think that life is common, and intelligent life probable.

In which case the Fermi Paradox becomes a vital question.
    Although solar systems like ours with the giant planets in the outer reaches and only a few small rocky worlds close to the sun seem not at all to be the norm. Some astronomers have suggested that a solar system layout like ours might be more stable in the very long term which is why life on Earth has lasted long enough to produce intelligent beings.

Of course it could well be that our tools and methods for finding exoplanets can find systems with "hot Jupiters" much more easily than they can analogues of our system.
    rpjs said:

FPT:

Purple said:

Everything else in our solar system has been replicated in other solar systems we have discovered and examined. I expect life to be no exception.

One of the fascinating aspects of the search for life is the way we so often think we are exceptional. Two decades ago, I remember reading in serious journals about issues realting to the Drake equation. They went like: "It is possible that our solar system is the only one with planets," a few years before we discovered the first exoplanet. Then it became: "It is possible that other solar systems only have gas giants," etc, etc.

The thinking is that we, and our situation, is exceptional. Yet every time such barriers are probed, we find that we are not exceptional.

Although solar systems like ours with the giant planets in the outer reaches and only a few small rocky worlds close to the sun seem not at all to be the norm. Some astronomers have suggested that a solar system layout like ours might be more stable in the very long term which is why life on Earth has lasted long enough to produce intelligent beings.

Of course it could well be that our tools and methods for finding exoplanets can find systems with "hot Jupiters" much more easily than they can analogues of our system.
    I'm still waiting for the NASA announcement that they've discovered intelligent life in the Cabinet.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    FPT
    AndyJS said:

New post on UKPR:

"Why the polls were wrong in 2017"

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/10002

Really interesting, thank you.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited June 2018

Does anybody know how I can get Bloomberg Anywhere on my N900?

LOL, yes indeed I do.

Best ever in-joke PB post?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    FPT:
    HYUFD said:

Anti immigration Swedish Democrats take the lead from the governing Social Democrats in shock new Swedish poll ahead of September's Swedish general election

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1004791984513601536

• GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited June 2018

Yes lets just "abort" all votes we don't like.

Let's make Theresa May ruler forever and any election that might threaten to unseat her from Office we'll just "abort" them.

Yes?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    rpjs said:

FPT:

Purple said:

AIUI detecting Earth-sized planets at any distance from a star yet alone at Earth-distance (i.e. 1AU) is terribly difficult. It is much easier to find larger planets closer in. But yes, the number of systems found with hot jupiters might mean our planetary system is unusual.

I don't think anyone predicted hot Jupiters before the first exoplanet was found, and now they're the easiest things to find!

I can recommend the following book as an excellent primer:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Planet-Factory-Exoplanets-Search-Second/dp/1472917723/
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    That Rashford goal was something special!
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Rashford showing some quality in the first half.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    With the ongoing retail apocalypse (Poundworld is more of a loss than HoF IMO) I'd be interested if anyone knows what's happening to Italian retail chains as while UK retail sales are 8% higher than they were in 2015 Italian retail sales are lower.

Like here the internet is having a major effect:

' While both large scale distribution and small scale distribution strongly decreased when compared to April 2017, the online sales increased year-on-year by 16.2%. '

https://www.istat.it/en/archivio/216508

Is our old friend Andrea still around somewhere ?
    Talking of retail there were 8 (that's eight) different counties of origin on Tesco's British strawberries today:

Aberdeenshire
    Perthshire
    Nottinghamshire
    Leicestershire
    Herefordshire
    Berkshire
    Surrey
    Kent

With raspberries from Herefordshire and Sussex and blackberries from Glamorgan.

Anyone want to give odds whether the strawberry counties will hit double figures soon ?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    Is this website ever going to comply with GDPR?
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

Talking of retail there were 8 (that's eight) different counties of origin on Tesco's British strawberries today:

Aberdeenshire
    Perthshire
    Nottinghamshire
    Leicestershire
    Herefordshire
    Berkshire
    Surrey
    Kent

Anyone want to give odds whether the strawberry counties will hit double figures soon ?

British strawberries have been fantastic this year. Best I can remember for years.

It must be the added essence of impending sovereignty.....*ducks*
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753

Aberdeenshire
    Perthshire
    Nottinghamshire
    Leicestershire
    Herefordshire
    Berkshire
    Surrey
    Kent

Weird. I thought that they were all rotting in the field because our European pickers had all gone home in the huff.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753

Rashford showing some quality in the first half.

He has not had the best of seasons, trapped by Man U passivity and caution, but he is truly special. I can see him scoring a Michael Owen type goal in the World Cup given the chance.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,050
    GIN1138 said:

Especially for @Morrisdancer

https://twitter.com/jwiechers/status/1002026919079153664?s=19
    Incredibly off-topic:

The other day I mentioned that I'd managed to get my thousandth walk done for my website (I have done many other walks that are not on the 'site). If you will all excuse some rather silly bragging:

In those thousand walks I have:
    *) Walked 17,527.5 miles.
    *) Ascended 1,506,554 feet (285.33 miles)
    *) Descended 1,506,382 feet (285.29 miles)
    *) Written 1,119,439 words of notes
    *) Written 734,278 words of directions

And if you want to see where I've been, I've knocked up the following page (note, may not work well or at all on mobile devices or anything other than the latest browsers):

https://www.britishwalks.org/walks/Scripts/Maps/interactive_walk_map.php

Note: some parts of the 'site are borken atm. I might get around to fixing some of the issues in the next decade or two ...

Now you can resume usual service!
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,702
    Excellent Polling Article from UKPR

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/10002
    What are we setting the line at for england goals conceded at the world cup due to a John stones error?
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    GIN1138 said:

https://vanillaforums.com/en/legal/gdpr/

• Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

Incredibly off-topic:

The other day I mentioned that I'd managed to get my thousandth walk done for my website (I have done many other walks that are not on the 'site). If you will all excuse some rather silly bragging:

And if you want to see where I've been, I've knocked up the following page (note, may not work well or at all on mobile devices or anything other than the latest browsers):

Note: some parts of the 'site are borken atm. I might get around to fixing some of the issues in the next decade or two ...

That is a stunning achievement JJ and you should be rightly proud. Bookmarked the site for future reference.
  • GIN1138 said:

Don't you have anything more important to worry about?!
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    AndyJS said:

FPT:

HYUFD said:

Anti immigration Swedish Democrats take the lead from the governing Social Democrats in shock new Swedish poll ahead of September's Swedish general election

How relevant is it? Assuming the other parties view the Swedish Democrats as 'untouchables' like in most of Europe then even if they finish first (I expect they won't) then they will still be in the opposition once the government is finally formed.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,729
    GIN1138 said:

Yes lets just "abort" all votes we don't like.

Let's make Theresa May ruler forever and any election that might threaten to unseat her from Office we'll just "abort" them.

Yes?
    Please don't give Corbyn ideas!

What are we setting the line at for england goals conceded at the world cup due to a John stones error?

Friendlies are always hard to judge, but looking at this performance we are not oozing confidence in front of goal.

Delph does a good set piece.
    Absolutely right.

Trump says he's going to walk off people believe him, May says she's going to walk off people scoff and say no you won't.

Incredibly off-topic:

That is a stunning achievement JJ and you should be rightly proud. Bookmarked the site for future reference.
    Thanks.

The insane thing isn't the walking; it's the time I have to f'ing well spend writing them up and doing the 'site. I'm not proud of the 'site - it was novel when I started it in 1999, but walking websites have developed further technologically since then. It's also held together with spit and string (i.e. Perl and PHP), and as can be seen, I am no photographer, writer or web designer.

If I was starting now it'd all be database and Python (and perhaps a Wiki to allow contributions for directions), but it's quicker and easier to keep what's there going. In fact, as a programmer I'm a little ashamed of the 'site, but it's my little baby and I love it. :)
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Incredibly off-topic:

Thanks.

The insane thing isn't the walking; it's the time I have to f'ing well spend writing them up and doing the 'site. I'm not proud of the 'site - it was novel when I started it in 1999, but walking websites have developed further technologically since then. It's also held together with spit and string (i.e. Perl and PHP), and as can be seen, I am no photographer, writer or web designer.

If I was starting now it'd all be database and Python (and perhaps a Wiki to allow contributions for directions), but it's quicker and easier to keep what's there going. In fact, as a programmer I'm a little ashamed of the 'site, but it's my little baby and I love it. :)
    Very impressive! I'll have to look see if you've done any round my neck of the woods.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755

AndyJS said:

FPT:

HYUFD said:

How relevant is it? Assuming the other parties view the Swedish Democrats as 'untouchables' like in most of Europe then even if they finish first (I expect they won't) then they will still be in the opposition once the government is finally formed.
    I think the Moderates and Christian Democrats would form a Coalition with the Swedish Democrats, if they won over 50% between them.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Incredibly off-topic:

You're John Hillaby writ large.
    While I let site run so's to see the full web (so far) of your walks let me also say that I believe our solar system is chaotic so that, as a speculation, theSolar System might spit out the Earth altogether.
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Incredibly off-topic:

Thanks.

Just checked and you did some of your least favourite walks near my town :lol:

Incredibly off-topic:

I'm impressed.

But if you don't mind me asking why so many in Hampshire instead of further south-west ?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Evening all :)

GDPR is wonderful - I attended a couple of briefings, did some research and am now considered the Guru of GDPR within my company. I've briefed the Directors and received gushing praise bordering on worship.

GDPR is really very simple - most organisations have decided to panic and get it wrong. All those emails asking you to re-subscribe to their pathetic emails are unnecessary sh1te, completely irrelevant to GDPR and a waste of bytes.

The key is knowing what personal information you hold about individuals, why you hold it, what you do with it and how you remove it when it is no longer needed and based on a documented retention process. In addition, you have to be able to remove personal information if someone asks via the right of erasure (which isn't universal by the way).

From that comes the Privacy Notice which is all most organisations need and if you haven't got one, shamelessly plagiarise one from a company doing the same thing. Stick it on the website or make it available "upon request" and pitch it at a level any Conservative MP, PB Contributor or three year old would understand.

The Information Commissioner is going to go after organisations holding specific category information such as local authorities, central Government and big firms holding biometric and ethnic profiling data.

Catching a couple of big firms getting it wrong and the fines available might help pay down the National Debt.

Incredibly off-topic:

I'm impressed.

But if you don't mind me asking why so many in Hampshire instead of further south-west ?
    My family are up in Derbyshire, and I love it up there, so a lot of my early walks were in Derbyshire. I currently live in Cambridgeshire, and lived for four or so years in Hampshire. Since I mostly only get away for day walks, they've tended to congregate within two hours drive of those areas. I've also done a couple of trips in Devon/Cornwall that did not get onto the 'site (as well as others elsewhere).

(I've also noticed the map only seems to go up to 999, not 1,000. Bu**er. I blame the spit and string).
    Freggles said:

Incredibly off-topic:

Thanks.

Just checked and you did some of your least favourite walks near my town :lol:
    :) Which is?
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

GDPR is wonderful - I attended a couple of briefings, did some research and am now considered the Guru of GDPR within my company. I've briefed the Directors and received gushing praise bordering on worship.

GDPR is really very simple - most organisations have decided to panic and get it wrong. All those emails asking you to re-subscribe to their pathetic emails are unnecessary sh1te, completely irrelevant to GDPR and a waste of bytes.

The key is knowing what personal information you hold about individuals, why you hold it, what you do with it and how you remove it when it is no longer needed and based on a documented retention process. In addition, you have to be able to remove personal information if someone asks via the right of erasure (which isn't universal by the way).

From that comes the Privacy Notice which is all most organisations need and if you haven't got one, shamelessly plagiarise one from a company doing the same thing. Stick it on the website or make it available "upon request" and pitch it at a level any Conservative MP, PB Contributor or three year old would understand.

The Information Commissioner is going to go after organisations holding specific category information such as local authorities, central Government and big firms holding biometric and ethnic profiling data.

Catching a couple of big firms getting it wrong and the fines available might help pay down the National Debt.

Is there a Privacy Notice template available anywhere? Most seem to be many pages of legalese which I'd rather not copy and screw up - normally for most things the government provides reasonable templates to use for small businesses but I've not found any template for this.
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037
    edited June 2018
    Brexit=a calamity!
    Brexiteers=idiots!

We are in a mess, a HUGE mess! Does anyone actually a coherent plan to get out of this mess? The fact that dullard David Davis and sleazy Liam Fox are negotiating on our behalf should have rung alarm bells. Barrnier continues to run circles round these morons.

Incredibly off-topic:

I'm impressed.

My family are up in Derbyshire, and I love it up there, so a lot of my early walks were in Derbyshire. I currently live in Cambridgeshire, and lived for four or so years in Hampshire. Since I mostly only get away for day walks, they've tended to congregate within two hours drive of those areas. I've also done a couple of trips in Devon/Cornwall that did not get onto the 'site (as well as others elsewhere).

(I've also noticed the map only seems to go up to 999, not 1,000. Bu**er. I blame the spit and string).
    Thanks.

Are there any particular walks which were much better than you expected and any which were much worse ?

Incredibly off-topic:

I'm impressed.

You only have 999 walks in your list...

https://www.britishwalks.org/walksindex.txt

• Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    My evening commute to Birmingham interrupted by armed police and a sniffer dog boarding our train at Birmingham International, looks like they didn't find anything, but we were delayed by more than 40 minutes!

Incredibly off-topic:

I'm impressed.

You only have 999 walks in your list...

https://www.britishwalks.org/walksindex.txt

I've just realised it's a little more borkem than that. I think I've forgotten to update some files from my local copy. (Bashes head with a walking pole).
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,702
    murali_s said:

Brexit=a calamity!
    Brexiteers=idiots!

We are in a mess, a HUGE mess! Does anyone actually a coherent plan to get out of this mess? The fact that dullard David Davis and sleazy Liam Fox are negotiating on our behalf should have rung alarm bells. Barrnier continues to run circles round these morons.

I am a Brexiteer

17m idiots!!!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,840
    @JosiasJessop Does your wife "encourage" you to go walking often xD ?!
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    murali_s said:

Brexit=a calamity!
    Brexiteers=idiots!

That raises fond memories of one of my favourite incidents from a sci-fi book read in my youth (forget what it was called, forget the author).

Some sort of space-faring family (father, mother, 2 teenage lads plus other relatives). After a family conflab during which the father is overwhelmingly outvoted, one of the lads says to the other: "Hey, you ever noticed how Dad gets pushed around and pushed around until he gets his own way?".

Good evening, everybody.
    Pulpstar said:

@JosiasJessop Does your wife "encourage" you to go walking often xD ?!

:)

I met her immediately after completing the coast walk, when I walked into my new job at a startup and had to share a phone with her. So she knows what I'm like ...
  • kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

FPT:

HYUFD said:

I think the Moderates and Christian Democrats would form a Coalition with the Swedish Democrats, if they won over 50% between them.
    The Dansk Folkeparti convinced the 'Left' (meaning the right) to go into govt - see no reason the Sweden Democrats won't be able to wheedle their way into government if they are the largest party - these nationalist - almost-but-not-quite nazis are the go to party for a lot of working class voters now and the idea everyone will refuse to work with them no longer holds true I think.
  • BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    SeanT said:

BoJo is completely right, of course. A Mad Hatter approach - fuck you, we're capable of anything, look I have a knife, and I will cut off my own testicles, AND your nose, HAH - would have been better than May's cautious, turgid, idiotic Red Line which is then immediately crossed approach.

The EU is mugging us. If a blade-flashing mugger is about to mug you, the best bet is to make yourself look so loony and weird and dangerous he think it ain't worth the uncertainty and risk: is he armed too? Why is he acting so strangely?

I have personally used this method, to a knife wielding mugger, and it worked. I was very high and I acted so oddly, with hints of hidden aggression, he walked away, anxiously. And quite quickly.

We should have Trumped the EU. Too late now.
    Negotiating with the European Union is not like scaring a mugger.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    SeanT said:

BoJo is completely right, of course. A Mad Hatter approach - fuck you, we're capable of anything, look I have a knife, and I will cut off my own testicles, AND your nose, HAH - would have been better than May's cautious, turgid, idiotic Red Line which is then immediately crossed approach.

The EU is mugging us. If a blade-flashing mugger is about to mug you, the best bet is to make yourself look so loony and weird and dangerous he think it ain't worth the uncertainty and risk: is he armed too? Why is he acting so strangely?

I have personally used this method, to a knife wielding mugger, and it worked. I was very high and I acted so oddly, with hints of hidden aggression, he walked away, anxiously. And quite quickly.

Mate...you just love reducing the conversation to your good self....I suppose as a narcissistic
    notright you cannot really help it... So carry on comrade...

SeanT said:

EU contributions = Protection Money

Incredibly off-topic:

I'm impressed.

Thanks.

Are there any particular walks which were much better than you expected and any which were much worse ?
    The weather makes or breaks a walk, generally. I'd really been looking forward to doing the Gower in Wales, but when I got there the weather was miserable and my camera broke. I hated it. Then when I went back a few years later I thought it was sublime.

Perhaps the worst path was the Black Path from Middlesborough to Redcar on the Teesdale Way, where the path is trapped between chemical works and a railway line. I think it'll soon be part of the English Coastal Path as well, so I hope they improve it!

SeanT said:

Is it really worth bothering a discourse into the aforementioned narcissism?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741

Is there a Privacy Notice template available anywhere? Most seem to be many pages of legalese which I'd rather not copy and screw up - normally for most things the government provides reasonable templates to use for small businesses but I've not found any template for this.

It depends what business you're in - the first questions I would ask are what personal data do you collect and why do you collect it ? If you offer a service, you probably ask people for their details so that's explicit consent. If you are a property management company, you have tenant name, address and banking details to carry out a contractual arrangement.

You won't need a lot of the legal-ese as you put it if you don't do anything with personal data.

Can't wait for the book:

"The EU and other muggers" by S T Homas

Probably be a best seller.

Talking of mugging...I wonder how much all the media focus on moped mugging is cutting through to the wider public, soft on law and order, police cuts, etc etc etc? I wonder where it places in public worries vs brexit?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

Is it really worth bothering a discourse into the aforementioned narcissism?
    You obviously think so or you wouldn't respond to even a discussion of it.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    Hubris: the hand of history on Blair's shoulder
    Nemesis: the boot on the throat of British democracy.
    SeanT said:

A friend of mine was kidnapped by a fake taxi driver at a Nigerian airport once. He had got a name from the ground crew and had a fake taxi greeting board. When my friend realised that was kidnapped, he started to sing "Onward Christian Soldiers" at full volume. Then repeated it, again and again. After 3 hours of this he was dumped out and found his way back to the airport, and carried on with his trip. His tactic worked, but in Jo'burg he would have probably been dumped out dead. That sort of crazy needs doing carefully.

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    murali_s said:

Brexit=a calamity!
    Brexiteers=idiots!
    The fact that dullard David Davis and sleazy Liam Fox are negotiating on our behalf should have rung alarm bells.

It did. I seem to recall several, including if memory serves one SeanT, expressing doubt on the sense of the appointments when the Fab three of Davis, Fox and Johnson were appointed to the key roles.

Of course at the time even those not worshipping May presumed both that she could do a better job than those three, and that she could have found someone better suited, which may have been false.
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

Mate...you just love reducing the conversation to your good self....I suppose as a narcissistic
    notright you cannot really help it... So carry on comrade...

Norwich.

lol.
    A Fine City.

:)
    SeanT said:

I am a fellow though lesser walker. I admire and honour your achievement! Dude!

For what it is worth, I agree entirely on the context thing. I have had some of my very greatest walks in the most "ordinary circumstances". The Surrey Hills, for example, east of Guildford, are utterly sublime in the right weather - beautiful, poetic, varied and fascinating - and as good as a hike in the Himalayas or the Alps or the Zambian bush. Likewise the Chilterns.

Thanks. This surprises people, but I think my favourite trail isn't the South West Coast path, or the Pennine Way; it's the Thames Path. It is so varied, interesting, and best of all, FLAT! :)

I have an acquaintance who only walks in Scotland or the Lakes. He misses out on so much.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

It really IS. Once we triggered A50 it meant we were in a street confrontation. And they had the knife - Article 50, absurdly biassed towards the bigger aggressor - and we were the victim, or at best the supplicant. So what do we do. Hand over the watch? Hand over the watch AND the wallet? Etc.

Then: This will be the easiest negotiation in history.

Now: we should have glassed the bastards first.

Where did it all go wrong?

Incredibly off-topic:

Ha! You're just too cheap to catch the train, aren't you? Admit it!

Only kidding! That's a fantastic achievement, congratulations!
    Foxy said:

SeanT said:

A friend of mine was kidnapped by a fake taxi driver at a Nigerian airport once. He had got a name from the ground crew and had a fake taxi greeting board. When my friend realised that was kidnapped, he started to sing "Onward Christian Soldiers" at full volume. Then repeated it, again and again. After 3 hours of this he was dumped out and found his way back to the airport, and carried on with his trip. His tactic worked, but in Jo'burg he would have probably been dumped out dead. That sort of crazy needs doing carefully.

Would a 3 hour repetition of Oasis' Wonderwall worked?

Is the biblical reference relevant? Just asking....
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Boris Johnson is a fucking dipstick.

How did this third-rate clown end up as our foreign secretary?
    Anazina said:

Boris Johnson is a fucking dipstick.

How did this third-rate clown end up as our foreign secretary?

And how many Yanks are asking the same question about the POTUS....
    tyson said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Probably, but Nigerians are quite tolerant of religious nuts, so not a bad choice.
    Peston thinks the government will lose the CU vote on Tuesday.

I disagree. I think they have the numbers to squeak it (alas).
    SeanT said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Indeed. It is risky, and can go wrong. But if the alternative is a CERTAIN mugging or a DEFINITE kidnapping then it is worth the risk. As I see it, we are now certainly being mugged by the EU, they are demanding money with menaces, and with nothing guaranteed in return.

TMay needs to resign and we need some nasty mo-fo to take her place.
    I don't know what a mo-fo is, but I couldn't agree more.
    Foxy said:

tyson said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Probably, but Nigerians are quite tolerant of religious nuts, so not a bad choice.
    There are quite a few Nigerians social working in the outer reaches of Norfolk...I couldn't quite imagine two contrasting groups....that said, it seems to work....

geoffw said:

SeanT said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

Indeed. It is risky, and can go wrong. But if the alternative is a CERTAIN mugging or a DEFINITE kidnapping then it is worth the risk. As I see it, we are now certainly being mugged by the EU, they are demanding money with menaces, and with nothing guaranteed in return.

I know what a mo fo is....

but....some little time ago, I came across the term "rimming" which when I investigated has still left me with something of an episode of PTSD....yuck
    Anazina said:

Yes, I think todays eternal backstop CU makes an explicit CU redundant.
    Scott_P said:
    The trio of gammon - Trumpton, Bozo and Crackers - are doing a good PR job for May.

I’m warming to her.
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

It really IS. Once we triggered A50 it meant we were in a street confrontation. And they had the knife - Article 50, absurdly biassed towards the bigger aggressor - and we were the victim, or at best the supplicant. So what do we do. Hand over the watch? Hand over the watch AND the wallet? Etc.

The ultra-Brexiteers were idiotically optimistic from the start. As I pointed out a couple of months after the vote:

"Brexit is going to be painful, like childbirth. It just is. The Leave quacks who promised a brisk and blissful delivery don’t have enough diamorphine to dull the nerves. We might need epidurals from the Treasury. We will swear a lot, and not care. It might be rather embarrassing but again, we probably won’t care, because we’ll be concentrating on the pain. Other countries will look at us and think ‘I’m never going through that’. Immediately after Brexit, we will likely appear reduced, saggy, wrinkled."

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/10/brexit-just-like-baby/
    You were right again! Presumably you were wrong once, but it was so long ago no one can remember it.
    Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

The ultra-Brexiteers were idiotically optimistic from the start. As I pointed out a couple of months after the vote:

"Brexit is going to be painful, like childbirth. It just is. The Leave quacks who promised a brisk and blissful delivery don’t have enough diamorphine to dull the nerves. We might need epidurals from the Treasury. We will swear a lot, and not care. It might be rather embarrassing but again, we probably won’t care, because we’ll be concentrating on the pain. Other countries will look at us and think ‘I’m never going through that’. Immediately after Brexit, we will likely appear reduced, saggy, wrinkled."

You were right again! Presumably you were wrong once, but it was so long ago no one can remember it.
    It's easy to be right when you flip flop quite so much.
    Anazina said:

If Peston thinks it's lost the govt are probably ok.
    Foxy said:

Anazina said:

The Tory rebellion need 15 MPs I think.

I can count three reliable rebels: Clarke, Morgan and Soubry. Add Greening. Who are the other 11?
    Foxy said:

Anazina said:

Could it be a cunning plan by TM/DD to get over the CU vote knowing that Barnier will reject the "temporary" backstop and thereby send the talks back to square one?
    Anazina said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

The Tory rebellion need 15 MPs I think.

I can count three reliable rebels: Clarke, Morgan and Soubry. Add Greening. Who are the other 11?
    Claire Perry, Heidi Alexander. Nine more?

Incredibly off-topic:

It's mightily impressive Josais but don't you think you might be overdoing this walking lark a tad? Maybe you need to get out more? :wink:
    geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Anazina said:

Could it be a cunning plan by TM/DD to get over the CU vote knowing that Barnier will reject the "temporary" backstop and thereby send the talks back to square one?
    I think such devilish cunning is beyond her. I dont think she plans further ahead than the next meeting.
    SeanT said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

When I commit something to publication (especially in the greatest and oldest political magazine in the English language) then I do it very seriously, and I mean it. That Spectator piece was my opinion, and my prognosis, and I stand by it.

On the other hand, given that I am a self confessed bipolar alcoholic (and I am quite pissed now), my day to day maunderings on here should be regarded as the semi-insane conversational fluff that they are. Ignore me!
    Lock up your daughters.....
    SeanT said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

When I commit something to publication (especially in the greatest and oldest political magazine in the English language) then I do it very seriously, and I mean it. That Spectator piece was my opinion, and my prognosis, and I stand by it.

On the other hand, given that I am a self confessed bipolar alcoholic (and I am quite pissed now), my day to day maunderings on here should be regarded as the semi-insane conversational fluff that they are. Ignore me!
    Fear not, a greater oracle even than thee, the PB favourite Richard Madeley, is on Question Time.

Appointment to view.
    Geordie Greig has been named as new editor of the Daily Mail, and will replace Paul Dacre later this year. The 57-year-old currently edits the paper's sister title the Mail on Sunday.

Daily rant not going to be so anti-EU in the future.
    It's a diverse conversation this evening but there's a common thread:
    Defeating muggers? - SeanT's done it.
    Long distance walking? - Sean's been there.
    Rimming? - He's an expert.
    Predicting Brexit? - Yes indeed!

:wink:
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

geoffw said:

SeanT said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

but....some little time ago, I came across the term "rimming" which when I investigated has still left me with something of an episode of PTSD....yuck
    You should open your mind, All you need is a proper shower and soap, because women love it. Nerve endings, dear, nerve endings.

Perhaps Mrs Tyson is being rimmed by lustier, more broad-minded Norfolk farmers? Right now, in, a village not far away from suburban Norwich? Just a guess, mind you, just a guess.

They might take it from your good self because during said act, they do not have to stare at your face....
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Kensington MP Emma Dent Coad says Queen should move out of Buckingham Palace for public

The Labour MP previously claimed Prince Harry, who lives in her constituency, was not a qualified helicopter pilot"

https://news.sky.com/story/kensington-mp-emma-dent-coad-says-queen-should-move-out-of-buckingham-palace-for-public-11397929
    Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

Fear not, a greater oracle even than thee, the PB favourite Richard Madeley, is on Question Time.

Appointment to view.
    What a shit panel.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    tyson said:

SeanT said:

tyson said:

geoffw said:

SeanT said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

You should open your mind, All you need is a proper shower and soap, because women love it. Nerve endings, dear, nerve endings.

Perhaps Mrs Tyson is being rimmed by lustier, more broad-minded Norfolk farmers? Right now, in, a village not far away from suburban Norwich? Just a guess, mind you, just a guess.

They might take it from your good self because during said act, they do not have to stare at your face....
    oh fuck it Tyson

buy a butt plug
This discussion has been closed.