Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The July plot to oust Mrs May

124»

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

brendan16 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Havering is part of London last time I checked. Or should we only consider those parts of the capital to be ‘London proper’ which happen to share your views on Brexit? The Tories’ secular decline in the capital predates the EU referendum. You can see similar trends in the US.

More Londoners voted for Brexit than for Sadiq Khan.

Just out of curiosity, were you born and bred in the capital?

I actually expect that Havering has many if not more true Londoners (who were born and/or grew up there) than much of inner London these days. It is full of people who grew up in boroughs like Tower Hamlets, Hackney and Newham.

Since 1965 Romford is just as much legally London as Westminster or Camden.

Only the sneering liberal chattering classes - who think themselves so superior - would suggest the area isn't London - but that doesn't mean like other parts of the GLA area it doesn't retain allegiances to historic counties like Essex, Kent, Surrey and Middlesex.
    Havering probably has more people who were born in London than some London boroughs have of people who were born in Britain.
    So?
    It seems that people who have lived all their lives in London can be referred to as not 'proper' Londoners.

Perhaps London is now more of a state of mind than an actual place or it is a Schroedinger's London where its borders can simultaneously stretch to encompass the whole world and shrink to discard Havering and its like.

Surely there must be degrees in 'London Studies' at the more mickey mouse universities ?

If not there might be a whole new opportunity for a Prof. Alastair Meeks.
    Interesting how you dehumanise people based on where they’re born. For most people in London, it’s not where you’re from it’s where you’re at.
    And how am I dehumanising anyone ?

I didn't refer to 'London proper'.

Nor have I referred to people as 'carrot-munchers' and 'yokels' as you have to those who don't live in London.
    People not born in Britain are people too. I’m not sure quite what importance you place on the fact that Havering might have more people born in London than other boroughs have people born in Britain but it’s evidently not a good thing for you that other boroughs are more diverse. Londoners are made not born.

As for the boundaries of London, ask a tourist. You’ll find them in Westminster and Camden. You won’t find them in Havering.

FYI I would never refer to anyone as carrot munchers. Carrot crunchers is far more alliterative. I have been known to mainline vitamin A myself.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

brendan16 said:

RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

If the Tories get a good turnout in their best wards of Grove Park and Blackheath and turnout is poor elsewhere and the rest of the vote is split between Labour and the LDs almost evenly it could get interesting

I draw your attention to the piss and wind related posts below....You don't live in London, and the parts of London nearest to you are areas like Brexit-central Havering. You haven't the slightest clue how badly the Tories' credibility has taken a knocking in London proper.
    Havering is part of London last time I checked. Or should we only consider those parts of the capital to be ‘London proper’ which happen to share your views on Brexit? The Tories’ secular decline in the capital predates the EU referendum. You can see similar trends in the US.

I actually expect that Havering has many if not more true Londoners (who were born and/or grew up there) than much of inner London these days. It is full of people who grew up in boroughs like Tower Hamlets, Hackney and Newham.

Only the sneering liberal chattering classes - who think themselves so superior - would suggest the area isn't London - but that doesn't mean like other parts of the GLA area it doesn't retain allegiances to historic counties like Essex, Kent, Surrey and Middlesex.
    Havering probably has more people who were born in London than some London boroughs have of people who were born in Britain.
    So?
    ndon Studies' at the more mickey mouse universities ?

Interesting how you dehumanise people based on where they’re born. For most people in London, it’s not where you’re from it’s where you’re at.

Nor have I referred to people as 'carrot-munchers' and 'yokels' as you have to those who don't live in London.
    You do have this weird obsession about London as a city of incomers and immigrants though, and the house prices down here. You are forever going on about it!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,035
    edited June 2018
    Purple said:

Nigelb said:

Roger said:

Has there ever been a more repulsive human being than Donald Trump?

You have to give him credit for attention to detail.... even in the smaller things, he’s a complete arsehole:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/10/trump-papers-filing-system-635164
    So Trump's a germophile but not a messophile. Or perhaps after he's torn up some papers he juts his chin and runs out of the room, expecting them to be removed by the time he comes back. Then again, while like Mussolini he hates shaking hands he may not be as great a germophile as he makes out. Perhaps one day Putin will release a tape and we'll find out.

Robert Maxwell used to wipe his bum with a towel.

I'm wondering whether Trump will kook out in Singapore.
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Toms said:

The Tory rebels,both pro and anti-EU,are full of wind and piss.May will cling on and on like a hard lump of turd caught up in the hairs around one's rectum.

The word is "dingleberry"
    Afraid it is "Dangleberry"
    There is some dispute over that - but given your preferred word also describes an edible berry (amongst other things...), the former is probably correct.
    For goodness sake, the correct word is "dag"! As in "rattle your dags!"
    Did the Robert Maxwell reference get carried over from another comment ?

Even for Sunday night PB this is getting a bit abstruse.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    The documentary om Mussolini for those who can't sleep. If you don't know it it's an entertaining story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--tIaau9o4

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,197
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

‪This is the sort of thing I’d expect Indian match fixing ‘bookies’ to do so they can launder their money. ‬

https://twitter.com/msmithsonpb/status/1005843906947420162?s=21

How does that work for them?
    I offer silly odds and hope that an associate of mine takes the bet.

When they win, they pay me what's left after the Betfair commission and the other party's 'commission'
    Is that really silly odds though?

Afterall if a 5/1 shot is a valued at 10/1 then that's a bargain.

While the odds of the Tories winning are miniscule is 1000/1 + Betfair commission + intermediate's commission really "silly"? What should the true odds be that makes 1000/1 such good value?
    If the Tories get a good turnout in their best wards of Grove Park and Blackheath and turnout is poor elsewhere and the rest of the vote is split between Labour and the LDs almost evenly it could get interesting
    I draw your attention to the piss and wind related posts below....You don't live in London, and the parts of London nearest to you are areas like Brexit-central Havering. You haven't the slightest clue how badly the Tories' credibility has taken a knocking in London proper.
    What is "London Proper?". If it's the LCC plus Brent, Haringey, Newham, I'd agree. In the rest of Greater London, the Tories are very competitive.
    Waltham Forest?
    Waltham Forest and Newham were parts of Essex until 1965.
    I am aware of that.
    Except for North Woolwich, which was LCC from 1888-1965, and before that "parte of Kent".
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

brendan16 said:

RoyalBlue said:

So?
    It seems that people who have lived all their lives in London can be referred to as not 'proper' Londoners.

Perhaps London is now more of a state of mind than an actual place or it is a Schroedinger's London where its borders can simultaneously stretch to encompass the whole world and shrink to discard Havering and its like.

Surely there must be degrees in 'London Studies' at the more mickey mouse universities ?

People not born in Britain are people too. I’m not sure quite what importance you place on the fact that Havering might have more people born in London than other boroughs have people born in Britain but it’s evidently not a good thing for you that other boroughs are more diverse. Londoners are made not born.

As for the boundaries of London, ask a tourist. You’ll find them in Westminster and Camden. You won’t find them in Havering.

FYI I would never refer to anyone as carrot munchers. Carrot crunchers is far more alliterative. I have been known to mainline vitamin A myself.
    "People not born in Britain are people too"

Apart from the French obviously. I know that sort of thing goes without saying, but young people might be reading and get the wrong idea!
  • Options
    Roger said:

The documentary om Mussolini for those who can't sleep. If you don't know it it's an entertaining story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--tIaau9o4

More of an interesting, pathetic story.

I can only think that Italy had overindulged in a love of comic operas.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    One of the problems some of the far flung areas of London have had with identifying with the capital is their use of shire county postcodes. Ken Livingstone as mayor tried to expand W, E, NW, SE and N right to the boundary of the GLA. The Royal Mail refused and even now some people in Bromley think they live in Kent, and Surbiton, Surrey.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

brendan16 said:

RoyalBlue said:

So?

Londoners are made not born? Rubbish. Please stop conflating your life story with our nation’s capital. More Londoners are being born today than at any time since the late 60s.

Why would a tourist know the borders of London better than the denizens of PB?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,314
    Purple said:

Nigelb said:

Roger said:

You have to give him credit for attention to detail.... even in the smaller things, he’s a complete arsehole:
    So Trump's a germophile but not a messophile. Or perhaps after he's torn up some papers he juts his chin and runs out of the room, expecting them to be removed by the time he comes back. Then again, while like Mussolini he hates shaking hands he may not be as great a germophile as he makes out. Perhaps one day Putin will release a tape and we'll find out.

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Toms said:

The Tory rebels,both pro and anti-EU,are full of wind and piss.May will cling on and on like a hard lump of turd caught up in the hairs around one's rectum.

There is some dispute over that - but given your preferred word also describes an edible berry (amongst other things...), the former is probably correct.
    ‘Dag’ is primarily used to described the bits of wool around the sheep’s backside matted with dung - poorly scoured wool is often described as ‘full of dags’.

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Anazina said:

One of the problems some of the far flung areas of London have had with identifying with the capital is their use of shire county postcodes. Ken Livingstone as mayor tried to expand W, E, NW, SE and N right to the boundary of the GLA. The Royal Mail refused and even now some people in Bromley think they live in Kent, and Surbiton, Surrey.

SE postcodes tend not to have the best connotations. You can see why we resist.

Describing south east London as Kent is very much age-related. No-one will do so in 30 years.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Purple said:

Nigelb said:

Roger said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Toms said:

‘Dag’ is primarily used to described the bits of wool around the sheep’s backside matted with dung - poorly scoured wool is often described as ‘full of dags’.

Dag nabit!
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Anazina said:

brendan16 said:

RoyalBlue said:

So?
    ndon Studies' at the more mickey mouse universities ?

You do have this weird obsession about London as a city of incomers and immigrants though, and the house prices down here. You are forever going on about it!
    Well it wasn't me who started the 'look at the overexpensive million pound houses in London' discussion last week.

In fact I don't think I commented on it at all.

For that matter I don't think I start London discussions at all though I do sometimes comment on them. And why not, is London only to be discussed by people who live or work there ?

London gives much important info for people interested in elections and political betting - for example the high number of indebted graduates and young renters have clearly contributed to the crippling of the Conservative party in many areas.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Just came across this, and for all the legal and armchair legal experts on PB, worth reading. What's the betting on neither Trump or May being in power by Mid July?

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/6/4/1769461/-Manafort-violates-bail-but-the-reasons-he-did-it-are-now-more-interesting?detail=emaildkre
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Anazina said:

Are you aware the Post Office officially stopped using county names in addresses in 1996?

I'm sure you are aware that Sewardstone in Essex is part of "London E4"
  • Options

So?

So are you saying tourists now define what the boundaries of London are ?

An interesting view - I would have thought that those areas which vote for the London Mayor or which are served by the Metropolitan police would be a better description.

But thanks for the 'Londoners are made not born' quote - it really should form part of the London studies course. BTW who decides if someone has 'made' themselves a Londoner and are there any requirements they have to meet ?

And I must thank you for pointing out the 'carrot-munchers' / 'carrot-crunchers' difference. There are other PBers who you have not felt the need to correct so I'll give myself a self-important pat of the back.

:wink:

Anyway I've had a sunny weekend among the strawberry fields and slagheaps and have a busy week ahead so I'd better call it a night now.

Good luck on your house move.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935

RoyalBlue said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

‪This is the sort of thing I’d expect Indian match fixing ‘bookies’ to do so they can launder their money. ‬

https://twitter.com/msmithsonpb/status/1005843906947420162?s=21

How does that work for them?
    I offer silly odds and hope that an associate of mine takes the bet.

When they win, they pay me what's left after the Betfair commission and the other party's 'commission'
    Is that really silly odds though?

Afterall if a 5/1 shot is a valued at 10/1 then that's a bargain.

While the odds of the Tories winning are miniscule is 1000/1 + Betfair commission + intermediate's commission really "silly"? What should the true odds be that makes 1000/1 such good value?

I don't think Havering likes to be reminded that it's in Greater London. Seriously, the demographics and campaigning style of Andrew Rosindell make it very different to the rest of London.

As for Lewisham- yes, there's a Conservative-inclined vote left around Blackheath, and another around Catford / Grove Park. Trouble is that it's hard to bag both those votes at once; tickle one and you annoy the other.
    The Conservatives haven't won in the Lewisham part of Blackheath since about 1990, possibly 1986.
    The last time Lewisham East elected a Tory MP was 1987
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Random betting thought: Why are Labour so presumed to lose vote share in Lewisham East? They got 68% last time but are 7/1 to get 70%+ on Thursday. That's despite a rise in the number of super-safe Labour seats of late in their heartlands, and a rise in the Labour share in the Tooting by-election.

Not saying I'd have it odds on, but where is the rationale for a drop in vote share being nearly inevitable coming from?

Remainers moving from Labour to LD and LD activists flooding the seat
  • Options
    edited June 2018

brendan16 said:

RoyalBlue said:

I actually expesex.
    So?

And how am I dndon.

If Conservatives win in London it is because of the less glamorous suburbs. Boris for instance won the London Mayoralty in 2008 and 2012 by winning by huge margins in Sutton, Bexley, Bromley and Havering and Hillingdon and also taking Enfield and Redbridge, he lost inner London.

Similarly Rudy Giuliani first won the New York City mayoralty in 1993 and Michael Bloomberg in 2001 (at the time as a Republican) by winning suburban Queens and Staten Island by large margins while losing Manhattan, the Bronx and Brooklyn.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,917
    Living in Los Angeles, I thought I would engage in a small experiment. How many of the parents of children at my kids school are actually from LA, or even California?

And out of a dozen kids, I can't seem to find a single parent who's actually an Angelino. That's genuinely staggering to me. Most of the kids parents are from the East Coast, but there's also a few from Seattle, plus Arizona, Illinois, Indiana and a fair number of foreigners like me.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    rcs1000 said:

Living in Los Angeles, I thought I would engage in a small experiment. How many of the parents of children at my kids school are actually from LA, or even California?

And out of a dozen kids, I can't seem to find a single parent who's actually an Angelino. That's genuinely staggering to me. Most of the kids parents are from the East Coast, but there's also a few from Seattle, plus Arizona, Illinois, Indiana and a fair number of foreigners like me.

Interesting. Where are the LA parents? is the question I guess.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    rcs1000 said:

In my office in Auckland, out of 27 people in my department, 3 are born in NZ.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Roger said:

Pol Pot? Adolf Hitler? Genghis Khan? Ivan the Terrible? Dennis Nilsen? Mrs Trellis of North Wales?

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,010
    rcs1000 said:

"Calexit Leader to Tucker Carlson: Export Middle Class To Make Room For Next "Wave" Of Immigrants"

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/08/01/calexit_proponent_to_tucker_carlson_were_exporting_middle_class_to_make_room_for_next_wave_of_immigrants.html

"If everyone in the middle class is leaving, that's actually a good thing. We need these spots opened up for the new wave of immigrants to come up. It's what we do. We export our middle class to the United States. You guys should be thanking us for that," Singam said to a stunned Carlson.

"Not only that, when our middle class does move out to Texas and Colorado they are taking our values out to the United States. If you look at Texas, in fact, all the major cities Californians are going to they are turning blue. And soon enough Texas will be a blue state," Singam said.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    If Donald Trump behaves like that to Justin Trudeau, how will he speak to Kim Jong Un?
    After the shambles of G7, I have little hope for the Kim-Trump summit achieving anything substantial.

Talking of G7, they don't exactly have inspiring leaders at the moment:

UK: a weak incompetent Prime Minister who recklessly threw away a parliamentary majority.

Germany: a weakened Prime Minister who recklessly let in a million immigrants in one swell foop with no quality check.

France: a vacuous telegenic centrist who is an EU-fanatic.

Italy: an inexperienced functionary who is a puppet of two rival insurgent populist parties.

USA: an inexperienced psychotic narcissist bully.

Canada: a vacuous telegenic centrist who is a twerp.

Japan: a Prime Minister who is vaguely normal and has been in office for 7 years.

1 out of 7 is not very encouraging.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,835

rcs1000 said:

In my office in Auckland, out of 27 people in my department, 3 are born in NZ.
    That’s about as bad as the ratio of native Emiratis in Dubai!
  • Options
    ABLAABLABLAABL Posts: 23
    I think the amendments will be voted down this week but it will be much harder for Theresa May when the other Brexit Bills come back...

https://www.abitleftandabitlost.com/posts/theresa-may-could-knock-back-every-amendment-this-week-and-still-have-a-worse-june-than-last-year
This discussion has been closed.