Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LDs to outperform the Tories in Thursday’s by-election is

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    SeanT said:

Just realised Brexit is likely to dominate British political debate for the next three-to-five years. Maybe ten years.

Oh god.

Hasn't Europe on-and-off dominated British political debate for much of the last 50 years already?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Does this need repeating?

But it is going to work. The UK as mentioned cannot be in a position whereby one outcome of a negotiation would be a hard border.

People say "let the EU put up a border on their side" as if the physical location were miles away and that it wouldn't be, er, a hard NI border. And thus what would the government's chances of survival be if they were to abnegate their responsibility (let's call it control) of the northern Irish border?
    And then TMay would be deposed, and a new leader would be requested to show some balls, and tell the EU to shove it.

Then what?
    Lab govt.

Getting rid of TMay doesn't force a GE.

Getting rid of TMay and replacing her with someone who tells the EU to shove it probably would.
    There would still be no way that Tory MPs would support a Vote of No Confidence tabled in the Commons however chaotic things become.
    True, but didn’t you say the same thing about Labour MPs and the FTPA? :p
    Not quite sure what your point is - though I did suggest before last year's election was called that if the Labour leadership had tried to block it by relying on the FTPA that no Labour MP would have rebelled. Any Labour MP who had done that would have faced loss of the Whip and deselection. In the event, it did not arise because Corbyn went along with May's plans.
    I recall you being more forceful in saying they’d never vote for an early dissolution.
    I strongly held the view that Corbyn had the option available to him of being able to block an early election - and at the time I was more than a little upset that he failed to do so! I still have little doubt that had the Labour Leadership gone down the road of forcing May to table a No Confidence Vote in her own Government that the PLP would have accepted such a tactic. There might well have been constitutional chaos for a few weeks - and even the possibility of an election being held with Corbyn as effectively a caretaker PM.
    This is now water under the bridge in that Corbyn was clearly up for the fight - and proceeded to prove me - and virtually everybody else - wrong by achieving a creditable election result which greatly enhanced his authority!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

Owen Jones has apparently started a Twitter storm with comments about Merkel's government:

"Owen Jones

“Ed Balls
    Something went wrong with the copy and paste function.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

But it is going to work. The UK as mentioned cannot be in a position whereby one outcome of a negotiation would be a hard border.

People say "let the EU put up a border on their side" as if the physical location were miles away and that it wouldn't be, er, a hard NI border. And thus what would the government's chances of survival be if they were to abnegate their responsibility (let's call it control) of the northern Irish border?
    And then TMay would be deposed, and a new leader would be requested to show some balls, and tell the EU to shove it.

Then what?
    Lab govt.

Getting rid of TMay and replacing her with someone who tells the EU to shove it probably would.
    There would still be no way that Tory MPs would support a Vote of No Confidence tabled in the Commons however chaotic things become.
    Not quite sure what your point is - though I did suggest before last year's election was called that if the Labour leadership had tried to block it by relying on the FTPA that no Labour MP would have rebelled. Any Labour MP who had done that would have faced loss of the Whip and deselection. In the event, it did not arise because Corbyn went along with May's plans.
    I recall you being more forceful in saying they’d never vote for an early dissolution.
    I strongly held the view that Corbyn had the option available to him of being able to block an early election - and at the time I was more than a little upset that he failed to do so! I still have little doubt that had the Labour Leadership gone down the road of forcing May to table a No Confidence Vote in her own Government that the PLP would have accepted such a tactic. There might well have been constitutional chaos for a few weeks - and even the possibility of an election being held with Corbyn as effectively a caretaker PM.
    This is now water under the bridge in that Corbyn was clearly up for the fight - and proceeded to prove me - and virtually everybody else - wrong by achieving a creditable election result which greatly enhanced his authority!
    Corbyn had no choice.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Just realised Brexit is likely to dominate British political debate for the next three-to-five years. Maybe ten years.

Oh god.

I remember predicting that. ;)
    I might have to emigrate until it is over. It's just so relentless and repetitive.
    Brexit is subsuming government, yet alone good government.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

And who can blame them when it’s firmly ij their national interest. It isn’t the Irish problem that Brexit was promised to be easy.

It is easy, we just need people in charge who actually intend to Brexit. We don't.

Which of May, Hammond and Robbins voted for Brexit in your eyes?
    We (thankfully) have people in charge who understand the harsh realities of Brexit and are doing their best to minimise the damage it will cause.
    You mean that we have people in charge who believe the project fear nonsense despite it not coming true and are ignoring the referendum results to ensure Brexit does not mean Brexit?

Why bother asking the people what they think when our ministerial 'betters' know better than us?
    I assume you are referring to an EEA Brexit (an option that would likely have majority support of the public), a status deemed sufficiently different to EU membership by Norwegian voters that a referendum was held where it was rejected.

Your personal vision of Brexit is just one of many.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    We can all relax now - Dennis Rodman has arrived in Singapore for the summit.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    This is just a crazy amount of money for the gun lobby to spend on a political campaign, regardless of its source.
    https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1006155726664785921
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    Is it the Customs Arrangement or a customs arrangement? We demand clarity!!
    You're bonkers - it is clearly Customs arrangement or customs Arrangement which are the options. :)

And don't dare trust those people in favour of a Customs 'Arrangement'.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Catastrophic news:
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1006214084046610432

If Letwin's doing it, the odds on it falling the pieces must be significant.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    SeanT said:

Oh god.

You can't say I didn't warn you.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

In the event of NO DEAL, the UK would abide by its commitments, and would not erect infrastructure on the NI border.

The onus would then fall on the EU (and specifically the Dublin government). Would they start building customs post on the Irish side of the frontier, would they be unrolling barbed wire across the roads of east Donegal and north Louth?

No, of course they would not. It's a load of bluffing nonsense. Neither side would do anything, and this quasi-legal anomaly would be quietly accepted by everyone, as being superior in all ways to a hard frontier.

The EU is understandably using the NI problem to exert maximum leverage, at this crucial moment of negotiation, but as we near the doomsday event itself, it would become clear it was and is a bluff.

Yawn. You know I am right. If there was NO DEAL, neither side would erect a border.

You might however be right that TMay will fold, but even that I doubt, or rather, I'm not sure it matters. No UK PM (even Corbyn) could accept a border down the Irish Sea. Folding therefore means the UK entire staying, for an indefinite period, in the SM and CU and accepting FoM. If she agrees to that there is a VERY strong chance she will be deposed as leader.

What would he or she do? Dunno. By that point the economic pain would be making itself felt across northwest Europe. Perhaps the EU will see sense and compromise.
    NPXMPX2 told us yesterday that there could easily be a border in the Irish Sea if Lab were in power. Get with the plan, and Nick has been a Maoist Momentumer for 20 years so he should know.

Also, I said you *could* be right. But the EU isn't as sensible as you or me. They would roll up to the negotiations, quote EU Lex 1200543T/PRO/UKNI/03/HBORDER and May would quiche. Instantly.
    Then let them put up a border which prevents Irish people in NI from going to Ireland. In fact if I were Theresa I would double dare them. Alas, I am not.
    is why you're not a politician.
    It is why Theresa would get deposed if she did give in.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

I might have to emigrate until it is over. It's just so relentless and repetitive.
    Your freedom of movement to EU is about to end, so you may have to cast your net wider :-)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Brexit is a bag of bollocks!

Yes. I suspect history will judge Cameron more harshly than Blair.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Voting against the continued existance of your own government is a deselection matter.

Voting against the continued existance of the opposition's government is not.

Imagine the FTPA had existed in John Major's day and Tony Blair had ordered a three line whip against Major calling an early vote. Skinner and Corbyn would have ignored that whip and voted against the Tories in their eyes and not been deselected for it.
    If the Leadership took the view that an early poll would be seriously damaging to the party's interests , it would be entitled to respond accordingly. Any backbench Labour MP who sought to sabotage that would have been denied endorsement by the NEC.Moreover, Labour only needed to abstain on the key Dissolution vote.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

We can all relax now - Dennis Rodman has arrived in Singapore for the summit.

Was he invited or is it the equivalent of Gazza turning up at the siege of Raoul Moat with a fishing rod?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Oh god.

Hasn't Europe on-and-off dominated British political debate for much of the last 50 years already?
    Nah - it was a constant presence, and clearly (given the Brexit result) more important than those who flippantly pretended it was of no concern realised, but it was never this intense and all consuming. Some years of that was inevitable, but I suppose it depends if it is decades.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, Rodman's a friend of Kim Jong-un. It's not as odd as it sounds that he's there.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    kle4 said:

Anazina said:

Scott_P said:
    You're bonkers - it is clearly Customs arrangement or customs Arrangement which are the options. :)

Another nutter. Those of us in the know, are perfectly aware it is An Arrangement on Customs.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Brexit is a bag of bollocks!

Yes. I suspect history will judge Cameron more harshly than Blair.
    As I recall it was the British public who made the decision.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    kle4 said:

Anazina said:

Scott_P said:

I thought we wanted a custom arrangement?

• Options

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Then what?
    Lab govt.

Corbyn had no choice.
    I believe he did - though in the event he may have made the correct choice.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2018
    AndyJS said:

Owen Jones has apparently started a Twitter storm with comments about Merkel's government:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1005920434179772417

Anybody who uses the word woke is a total twat, the sort of person who would pay £15 an hour to play darts!
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Pulpstar said:
    It’s the DM comments section, they also love Trump as well.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

Hoist by your own petard.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Anybody who uses the word woke is a total twat, the sort of person who would pay £15 an hour to play darts!
    He's now claiming to be a Remainer, despite writing articles about how the left should campaign to leave the EU.
    https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1006186102611435521
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942

Not least because 400 of the 600 on this particular boat were apparently picked up by Italian naval vessels and then transferred to the charity ship. Is Max accusing the Italian Navy of people trafficking?

Depositing them back on the short they left (or nearby) is, IMV, a reasonable idea (it would have to be done with arrangement, and probable payment, of the relevant country).

But that is only one side of the story. The people making the journey will be doing so for a whole host of reasons, but going out to sea in some of these 'boats' (and I use the term loosely) smacks of desperation. And there will always be desperate people for the unscrupulous to take advantage of.

So as well as returning them, we need to tackle the people making billions out of this trade; whether it is migrants wanting a better life, refugees escaping horror or young girls trafficked for the advantage of sick men. Where countries do not have strict laws against people trafficking, the UN should take charge.

Yes, other unscrupulous people will take over. But the rewards for doing so should be less, and the dangers greater.
    No disagreement from me. As with almost any issue you need to deal with both the push and the pull factors. Making it clear that those being picked up will be sent back goes a long way to dealing with pull factors.

Dealing with the push factors is more difficult. But attacking the people in the middle - whether NGOs or Governmental - whose only aim is to save lives seems particularly ill judged.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

AndyJS said:

Are you saying without the word 'woke' he wouldn't be a twat?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

What most annoyed me about that article about Flight Club is the suggestion it's in Shoreditch. It's just behind Finsbury Square. It's not populated by hipsters but by suits.

Anyway, everyone knows that ping pong is where it's at.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,950

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

Brexit is subsuming government, yet alone good government.
    WE have crap government in any case so does not impact, chances of good government from the bunch of absolute duffers in the cabinet is zero.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

AndyJS said:

What most annoyed me about that article about Flight Club is the suggestion it's in Shoreditch. It's just behind Finsbury Square. It's not populated by hipsters but by suits.

The garudian being inaccurate...surely not...to be fair flight club themselves call their location shoreditch.
  • Options

Mr. Glenn, Rodman's a friend of Kim Jong-un. It's not as odd as it sounds that he's there.

The Rodmeister is a lynchpin figure in the negotiations!
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Scott_P said:

The key point is that Solihull is going to be upgraded to make electric. The future is electric. Solihull gets the future, Eastern Europe gets the past.
    Nobody complains when BMW or Merc move production around the world. JLR do it and it's disaster.
    Idiot journalists need to get a grip.

Here is what JLR said

At a Number 10 meeting in July, Jaguar Land Rover boss Ralph Speth is understood to have directed a "heated" monologue on the impact of no deal and no transition on the car industry towards the PM.

Top JLR boss Andy Goss told Sky News that its investment in a car plant in Slovakia should now be seen as a "hedge" against uncertainty around the post-Brexit trading environment.

"It's become a hedge by default - we will assess everything in the cold light of day - we don't expect to do it, but if we have to we will," he told me.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-forensics-why-car-industry-is-getting-worried-11041671
    Here is bloomberg with the truth not Faisal's propaganda. Read the first paragraphs of his piece where he is implying all crankshafts go to Munich and all Mini engines come from Germany. You may want to think where the Mini engine plants are.

The decision to build the Slovak factory was made in 2015 before Brexit.
    The decision to move the Discovery there was made in 2016. But today it is a surprise to all these remainer journalists, it is not a surprise to the educated.
    Also in the Bloomberg article Solihull and Halewood get significant upgrades to build the FUTURE SUPER DUPER new models.
    This is not bad news, this is good news. As I said before it is just what every other major car company does.
  • Options
    Ms. Anazina, in our turbulent political times, it is no strange thing...

Anyway, I must be off. Play nicely, everyone.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited June 2018
    "Not my side, Mr Max. It is the Tories who are in charge of everything. I don`t think there is any dispute about the incompetent mess they (that is you, IIRC) are making of everything."

So so true. The Tories are an incompetent disgrace. To be honest, a sharp operator like Barnier against a certified moron, David Davis and a sleazy friend of war criminals, Liam Fox was always going to be walkover.

The old adage rings true as ever before - the Conservative Party will put their own party interest ahead of the national interest every single time.

Brexit = a calamity!
    Brexiteers = Idiots!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

AndyJS said:

Do you mean whiff waff?
  • Options
    ICM poll - Con 42 Lab 40 LD 8 Grn 3 UKIP 3
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Charles said:

AndyJS said:

Do you mean whiff waff?
    What’s the difference between ping pong and whiff whaff...about £15/hr.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Anazina said:

Chortle. I am certainly not a supporter of Corbyn. Just your average centrist Joe.

ing.
    Re Anazina, disliking Blairites (although I haven’t seen her hate on them much at all) and Tories doesn’t equal = Corbynista. My dad hates both of those groups and he’s certainly not a Corbyn supporter.
    snip
    It was Gordon Brown who called Gillian Duffy a bigot in 2010. In 2015, Ed Miliband was producing tough on immigration mugs and promising this:
    Labour pledges to "control" immigration by hiring an extra 1,000 border staff, increasing the powers of the Gangmasters Licensing Authority and banning the recruitment of only overseas workers. Migrants will not be able to claim benefits for two years, or send child benefit overseas. People working in public facing roles in the public sector will be required to speak English.
    How it compares to the Tories
    David Cameron has pledged to end benefits for migrants for four years, and remove them from Britain if they have no found work after six months. Beggars and fraudsters removed from Britain face longer re-entry bans.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11532277/manifesto-2015-summary.html

And he still lost the last election. The left will always be the ‘imitation’ even with policies like this, because the right will always be able to out do the Left on this issue.
    I was talking more about views on things like gang crime, respect for teachers etc. On immigration, I find it depends a lot on the minority group. I certainly know a fair few Indian and Chinese professionals who wonder why we would let in uneducated Romanians and Somalis.

Thanks for clarifying my confusion on elections. Still, Miliband's efforts seemed fake because he wasn't - and repeatedly refused to - actually committing to get numbers down. As I said before, it is not even promises that matter, but actually reducing the numbers changing working class neigbourhoods.
    In 2015, even the Tories weren’t committing to a specific number, saying that getting it down to the tens of thousands was now an ambition: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11448694/George-Osborne-Immigration-target-only-an-ambition.html
    Partly because of the difficulty in meeting the targets they set themselves in 2010: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/6961675/David-Cameron-net-immigration-will-be-capped-at-tens-of-thousands.html
    Yet despite of all that, they were definitely seen as the ‘tough on immigration’ party by the voters.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    FYI unemployment & earnings data out tomorrow
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    justin124 said:

I think that is

Con 42 (-1)
    Lab 40 (n/c)
    LD 8 (n/c)
    Grn 3 (+1)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

Scott_P said:

The key point is that Solihull is going to be upgraded to make electric. The future is electric. Solihull gets the future, Eastern Europe gets the past.
    Nobody complains when BMW or Merc move production around the world. JLR do it and it's disaster.

Here is what JLR said

At a Number 10 meeting in July, Jaguar Land Rover boss Ralph Speth is understood to have directed a "heated" monologue on the impact of no deal and no transition on the car industry towards the PM.

Top JLR boss Andy Goss told Sky News that its investment in a car plant in Slovakia should now be seen as a "hedge" against uncertainty around the post-Brexit trading environment.

"It's become a hedge by default - we will assess everything in the cold light of day - we don't expect to do it, but if we have to we will," he told me.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-forensics-why-car-industry-is-getting-worried-11041671
    Here is bloomberg with the truth not Faisal's propaganda. Read the first paragraphs of his piece where he is implying all crankshafts go to Munich and all Mini engines come from Germany. You may want to think where the Mini engine plants are.

The decision to move the Discovery there was made in 2016. But today it is a surprise to all these remainer journalists, it is not a surprise to the educated.
    Also in the Bloomberg article Solihull and Halewood get significant upgrades to build the FUTURE SUPER DUPER new models.
    This is not bad news, this is good news. As I said before it is just what every other major car company does.
    Can’t we have a cake and eat it strategy for car plants?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

I agree it’s just so relentless and repetitive.
  • Options
    The manufacturer said it would also be investing in its plant at Halewood, Merseyside, to build the next generation Range Rover Evoque.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/11/jaguar-land-rover-to-move-production-of-discovery-from-uk-to-slovakia-jobs-solihull

Even the guardian says it isn’t brexit.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Well, you can consider me a total twat then. Although judging by some of the other people who I know who also use it, people generally who use the word woke aren’t likely to be big darts fans in the first place.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

justin124 said:

I think that is

Con 42 (-1)
    Lab 40 (n/c)
    LD 8 (n/c)
    Grn 3 (+1)
    Which was the Election result iirc. Remarkable lack of change.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Well, you can consider me a total twat then. Although judging by some of the other people who I know who also use it, people generally who use the word woke aren’t likely to be big darts fans in the first place.
    Did you not get the memo, all the woke kids are darting these days.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

AndyJS said:

Do you understand what he means, Mr Urquhart? I have no idea.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I’m more of a football fan. Darts seems pretty boring to me. Although at least it’s not golf....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

This is just a crazy amount of money for the gun lobby to spend on a political campaign, regardless of its source.

Don't they have a lot of members? That tweet does read like a bit of a smear "of course, there's no evidence of Russian money *wink wink*"
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Here is what JLR said

There is, it's called customs pre-clearance, the US and Canada use the system for certain key industries.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Here is what JLR said

There is, it's called customs pre-clearance, the US and Canada use the system for certain key industries.
    I wanted the old JLR model plant and the new one.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    justin124 said:

Takes the number of polls without a Labour lead to 23.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Don't they have a lot of members? That tweet does read like a bit of a smear "of course, there's no evidence of Russian money *wink wink*"
    More than 5 million members and another 9 million who appear to support it in some way

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59651114e4b005b0fdc8fe90/amp

Remember they have all sorts of revenue streams like tv channel, training courses etc etc etc.
  • Options
    Have the Conservative party decided to play some bizarre version of Just A Minute where they come up with new ways to describe their preferred trading arrangement with the EU without hesitation, repetition or deviation? Because if so, they suck at it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Here is what JLR said

I wanted the old JLR model plant and the new one.
    EU or not I don't think it would have been economically viable for JLR to do the old model here vs a low wage country like Slovakia. New models make sense here because it requires lots of R&D and the company can scale up processes easily. Old models make sense in lower cost countries because the production process is already mature.
  • Options
    Totally OT, hitman 2 out soon and playable demo level available.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

AndyJS said:

I have never been to Flight Club but a friend went there for a party and loved it. Apparently the electronic scoring system and variety of games makes it.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

I have never been to Flight Club but a friend went there for a party and loved it. Apparently the electronic scoring system and variety of games makes it.
    Can’t see it going down very well in Stoke...you want how much to add the score up for me....
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I must be getting old, WTF is a "woke kid" or a "woke government"?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

It's too close to home for me to venture into. I have been known to visit PizzaBuzz a few doors down.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Might get round to it, after a fortnite or so..
  • Options

And who can blame them when it’s firmly ij their national interest. It isn’t the Irish problem that Brexit was promised to be easy.

It is easy, we just need people in charge who actually intend to Brexit. We don't.

Which of May, Hammond and Robbins voted for Brexit in your eyes?
    We (thankfully) have people in charge who understand the harsh realities of Brexit and are doing their best to minimise the damage it will cause.
    You mean that we have people in charge who believe the project fear nonsense despite it not coming true and are ignoring the referendum results to ensure Brexit does not mean Brexit?

Why bother asking the people what they think when our ministerial 'betters' know better than us?
    I assume you are referring to an EEA Brexit (an option that would likely have majority support of the public), a status deemed sufficiently different to EU membership by Norwegian voters that a referendum was held where it was rejected.

Your personal vision of Brexit is just one of many.
    EEA including Norway are outside of the Customs Union. I would be perfectly OK with that. All non-EU EEA members are outside of the Customs Union.

Ireland and continuity remainers are seeking the UK to remain in both the Single Market and the Customs Union. There is a name for that: EU membership.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I must be getting old, WTF is a "woke kid" or a "woke government"?
    I cannot say I recall hearing it much until the last year or two, it's about being aware (in a very obvious way I presume, since merely being aware of them means nothing if you are not advertising it) of social issues.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,591
    Barnesian said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

Repetitive and relentless...

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,626
    dixiedean said:

justin124 said:

I think that is

Con 42 (-1)
    Lab 40 (n/c)
    LD 8 (n/c)
    Grn 3 (+1)
    dixiedean said:

justin124 said:

I think that is

Con 42 (-1)
    Lab 40 (n/c)
    LD 8 (n/c)
    Grn 3 (+1)
    This is 1917 attrition, We await the decisive campaigns of 1918.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Might get round to it, after a fortnite or so..
    Pissing fortnite....I would rather eat pineapple pizza while playing £15/hr darts with Radiohead live from Glastonbury blasting out over the bar speakers.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

Can’t think of anything more boring so interested to hear it was fun.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

justin124 said:

I think that is

Con 42 (-1)
    Lab 40 (n/c)
    LD 8 (n/c)
    Grn 3 (+1)
    dixiedean said:

justin124 said:

I think that is

Con 42 (-1)
    Lab 40 (n/c)
    LD 8 (n/c)
    Grn 3 (+1)
    This is 1917 attrition, We await the decisive campaigns of 1918.
    Not 1618 and the beginning of the Thirty Year’s War ?

• Options
    I'm about to leave work to pick up some shopping, and I will walk straight past Flight Club. I shall give you a report from the front line if there's anything of interest.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,666
    edited June 2018
    Anazina said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

pedant mode Hoist with your own petar' / pedant mode

I know you're such a stickler for accuracy.....
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

Only on here....

In the real world, on the other hand, people have babies, buy houses, are gazumped, go on holiday, lose loved ones, watch movies......invite (must we really?) people to dinner drinks...
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited June 2018
    SeanT said:

Oh god.

I share the feeling. My support for Brexit is undimmed, but the drumbeat of endless repetition and uncertainty is exhausting.

Perhaps we need a WTO exit to reinvigorate ourselves, and our debates.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I have been there, junkyard golf and the ping pong. Of those the golf is the best and the darts the worst. It is just a waste of everyone's money. The best time is still the pool hall in King's Cross, if one is looking to play a pub game.
  • Options

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

Petard is quite correct.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

Petard is quite correct.
    Indeed. To be hoist be one's own petard.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited June 2018
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

Soon there won't be a PBBrexiteer left in the UK, they will all be in California, Spain, the UAE, Australia, Singapore etc.

Sunil may be the only PB Leave voter still sticking it out in Blighty!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    murali_s said:

"Not my side, Mr Max. It is the Tories who are in charge of everything. I don`t think there is any dispute about the incompetent mess they (that is you, IIRC) are making of everything."

So so true. The Tories are an incompetent disgrace. To be honest, a sharp operator like Barnier against a certified moron, David Davis and a sleazy friend of war criminals, Liam Fox was always going to be walkover.

The old adage rings true as ever before - the Conservative Party will put their own party interest ahead of the national interest every single time.

Brexit = a calamity!
    Brexiteers = Idiots!

It was the British voters who voted for Brexit, the Tory leader at the time backed Remain
  • Options
    The UK should respond to that in the terms of Arkell v Pressdram
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    The proposal is utterly unacceptable.

In a pleasant irony, it was Asquith’s dependence on the IPP that ensured Home Rule got onto the statute book, while it is May’s dependence on the DUP that will will ensure Northern Ireland is not surrendered to cut a deal.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

Soon there won't be a PBBrexiteer left in the UK, they will all be in California, Spain, the UAE, Australia, Singapore etc.

Quite an internationalist bunch of xenophobic liars!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

Catastrophic news:

Letwin is genuinely very nice (making him a good bridge-builder) and he's clever. The risk is that he's not very streetwise and things he propose don't sound as good to punters as they did on paper.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

Takes the number of polls without a Labour lead to 23.
    There was a massive Poll at the start of May

Labour won it comfortably
  • Options
    They have a strong position, and appear to have gambled they can get everything they want, so do not even care to attempt a compromise. Given the rejection of the UK proposals, even backstop proposals, and troubling parliamentary arithmetic to try anything else, there doesn't seem a whole lot of point discussing it further.
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

I'm not going anywhere, except into hiding once Brexit really hits the fan.
  • Options

Catastrophic news:

Letwin is genuinely very nice (making him a good bridge-builder) and he's clever. The risk is that he's not very streetwise and things he propose don't sound as good to punters as they did on paper.
    And he might accidentally put them in a bin in a park...
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

Does Wales count for these purposes?
  • Options
    KABOOM!!!!

Labour, 2350 councillors, +79

Conservative, 1332 councillors, -35

Liberal Democrat, 536 councillors, +75

Green, 39 councillors, +8

UKIP, 3 councillors, -123
  • Options
    welshowl said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

Does Wales count for these purposes?
    Or Chesterfield
  • Options

KABOOM!!!!

Projected Vote Share showed the major parties neck and neck though.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

KABOOM!!!!

Projected Vote Share showed the major parties neck and neck though.
    JICIPM I believe
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

I see no way that I could move abroad even if I wanted to. Of course, I might be dead.

Good evening, everybody.
  • Options

Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

Can’t see it going down very well in Stoke...you want how much to add the score up for me....
    I doubt their business strategy extends to opening a branch in Hanley.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

Quite an internationalist bunch of xenophobic liars!
    Would the last Brexiteer to leave Britain please turn out the lights?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

Is Dorset still in the UK, or have the EU tried to annex that today too?
  • Options

The UK should respond to that in the terms of Arkell v Pressdram
    Well....lets just say the UK land bridge on which much of the republic's food business depends upon just got a bit more 'interesting'

'Delays at Holyhead? Don't ask me mate, ask your friend in Brussels.....and have you seen the queues at Dover, let alone Calais?'
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god.

Petard is quite correct.
    Indeed. To be hoist be one's own petard.
    Carlotta is referring to Shakespeare’s original wording, which is presumed to be a lavatorial joke by the Bard.
This discussion has been closed.