Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Italy: 50 ways to leave the Euro

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Easy win for Government Methinks if people like Woolaston have caved. Circa 30 Majority.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

Very very unlikely to be true as stated.
    Agreed. Isn’t 3x2 SOP for 24 cover?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Tory 'rebels'. A load of piss and wind.

And whatshisface resigned over it - heart of stone etc.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Tory 'rebels'. A load of piss and wind.

The government has done everything to appear to cave in without actually caving in. This simply delays the reckoning. 9 months, 17 days to go...
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    Pulpstar said:

I know he isn't liked by the Brexiteers, but having Bercow as the speaker is effectively another vote for the Gov't on european matters.

Is it? I would have thought he may well vote to give more powers to MPs since it is them he is supposed to be representing.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

"We've heard a lot about the will of the people" and he says "this is the only reason the government can deploy for supporting a Brexit". - Tom Brake, Liberal Democrat exiting the EU spokesperson

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Pity the rest of us now have no idea what the government's position is.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited June 2018
    Frank Field makes clear he will back the government and vote down the Lords amendments . Graham Stringer and Gavin Strang and Kate Hoey expected to join him from the Labour benches giving an extra net +8 to the Government and DUP side
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

"We've heard a lot about the will of the people" and he says "this is the only reason the government can deploy for supporting a Brexit". - Tom Brake, Liberal Democrat exiting the EU spokesperson

I laughed out loud when I read what he said, no wonder the Lib Dems are below 10% in the polls
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Scott_P said:
    No chance in a million years they will have a deal by November. So Parliament will decide.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Scott_P said:
    A deal needs to be agreed by then to fit in with the existing timetable doesn't it pretty much ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. Borough, that's not really 'buying off' so much as 'capitulating utterly'.

Mr. P, if Newton Dunn's tweet is correct, it's in the EU's interest to not even seek an agreement by the end of November so the Commons can direct the Government to just roll over.

Marvellous.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Pity the rest of us now have no idea what the government's position is.
    To be fair, we don't know what the Opposition's or Lords' position is either. It seems to be something along the lines of a meaningful vote on a meaningless proposition, but who knows?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Government must be reasonably confident of a deal then...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    Scott_P said:
    Hooray for a sovereign parliament.

I reckon this means we will ask for an extension of Article 50.

I was so wrong about Theresa, she’s awesome.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    A deal needs to be agreed by then to fit in with the existing timetable doesn't it pretty much ?
    Surely the EU will just block everything up till then..
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    RobD said:

That is one of the funniest comments ever posted on this site!
  • Options

No chance in a million years they will have a deal by November. So Parliament will decide.

By then the momentum behind a second referendum will be very strong.

A winter of Brexit discontent, followed by a referendum to consign it to history, and then we'll vote in the European elections to send Farage packing.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    The Commons is about to vote to leave the EEA and the Customs Union it seems
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

RobD said:

That is one of the funniest comments ever posted on this site!
    I try :p
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I reckon this means we will ask for an extension of Article 50.

There aint the votes for that..
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited June 2018
    Scott_P said:
    Wow - almost certainly there will be no deal. Election early in the new year?
  • Options

A winter of Brexit discontent, followed by a referendum to consign it to history, and then we'll vote in the European elections to send Farage packing.
    (However I still think May will preempt this and be the one to decide to go to the country with the deal versus Remain.)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

She gave the impression that the MP was surrounded by six protection offices forming a Roman phalanx..
  • Options

A winter of Brexit Discontent would only occur if Parliament flung back the Brexit vote in Leave voters faces
  • Options

You really really don't understand the electorate do you.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Perfect opportunity for Labour to switch to pro EEA (with a figleaf on free movement).
  • Options
    How are the EU going to cover the £39Bn hole in their accounts if no deal ?

• Options
    murali_s said:

Scott_P said:
    Which would solve zilch and on current polling produce almost exactly the same composition in the Commons
  • Options

Mr. P, if Newton Dunn's tweet is correct, it's in the EU's interest to not even seek an agreement by the end of November so the Commons can direct the Government to just roll over.

Marvellous.

Indeed that is brilliant work by Theresa May.

You have to hand it to her.
  • Options
    So after November what happens ?
    Barnier arrives and starts negotiating with 643 MPs in the commons ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

The EU will just spend all autumn drinking vintage champagne and procrastinating.

(Do your own punchline...)
  • Options
    So if (big if) there is a deal by the end of November, Parliament don't get a vote on it?

Otherwise it looks like DD goes on a long winter holiday and Hilary Benn is in charge of negotiations.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Pulpstar said:

The European Parliament negotiates directly with Westminster, long boozy weekends in Brussels, Strasbourg and Central London in 5* hotels at taxpayer expense to ensure a deal?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Scott_P said:
    They'll have to be a new general election by then...
  • Options

(However I still think May will preempt this and be the one to decide to go to the country with the deal versus Remain.)
    She will never get the chance to do that. If the option of Remain did appear she would be gone long before she could call a vote.
  • Options

Perhaps 500 words from you explaining the 2001 General Election result would help me understand.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Marvellous.

I don't think that's right. It's probably easier for the EU to negotiate with the PM and her divided cabinet then it would be to negotiate with a divided House of Commons. And I think the EU want this settled and dealt with so that they can get on with creating a banking and fiscal union.

So what this does is to establish a hard deadline for the EU. Give us a deal we can agree to by the end of November, or you have to try and negotiate with >600 MPs. (And good luck doing that)
  • Options
    What are the odds of a deal before November?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Perfect opportunity for Labour to switch to pro EEA (with a figleaf on free movement).
    Which is clearly going to happen over Corbyn's dead body while he leads the party!
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Sounds like Brexit moves a step closer, those seeking to overturn the referendum result now need to take the hint
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,767
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

She gave the impression that the MP was surrounded by six protection offices forming a Roman phalanx..
    A modern day Contubernium, surely.
  • Options

Perhaps 500 words from you explaining the 2001 General Election result would help me understand.
    Nah. You still wouldnt understand.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Parliament can't negotiate a treaty - practically, constitutionally, it is impossible. They don't have the powers or the means. Means that Govt. are assured of a deal by November.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

Frank Field makes clear he will back the government and vote down the Lords amendments . Graham Stringer and Gavin Strang and Kate Hoey expected to join him from the Labour benches giving an extra net +8 to the Government and DUP side

Gavin Strang retired from the Commons years ago!
  • Options
    I think Brexit still goes ahead on time but in terms of betting on it I've withdrawn my stake. I'm happy enough with my position.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    TGOHF said:

Tariffs on imports from the UK?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Scott_P said:
    Which would solve zilch and on current polling produce almost exactly the same composition in the Commons
    ... whereas a new referendum would.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Parliament creates a Committee of Safety to negotiate with Barnier.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited June 2018

TGOHF said:

You mean tariffs on the world.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I take it you are lumped on "No deal by 29th" with these views ?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Parliament can't negotiate a treaty - practically, constitutionally, it is impossible. They don't have the powers or the means. Means that Govt. are assured of a deal by November.

Thats my reading of it
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    sarissa said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

A modern day Contubernium, surely.
    *pause*

*google*

yes...yes that is exactly what I meant!

:smile:
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Apologies, meant Gareth Snell the new Stoke Central MP
  • Options

TGOHF said:

We import more than we export to the EU, so they'll lose that game.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Give them a hard deadline and you might get progress in the last twenty four hours.

Giving powers to parliament will only result in snail pace if any progress. The only hope Remainers have is to bore everyone for at least another three years and hope for a change of mind of the electorate sufficient to cover up their dismissal of a democratic result.

The LDs still wouldn't have an alibi, but they could always go back to being just the Liberal party.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Apologies, meant Gareth Snell the new Stoke MP
    I think he is a Remainer. Perhaps you mean Graham Stringer?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Parliament can't negotiate a treaty - practically, constitutionally, it is impossible. They don't have the powers or the means.

Do the EU understand that though? I reckon the EU will now just dig there heels in (even more) thinking that this will be took out of the governments hands in November...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Sky News completely miss vote 2
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    edited June 2018
    That is a big concession by the Government - if it really really comes to it, I think the only thing parliament could usefully do would be to vote for EEA membership (EDIT - or ask for an article 50 extension as TSE says, but I think the EU would say no and force us into EEA) and this concession stops the Government from preventing this being voted on. So Labour have months to continue their current drift to soft Brexit. And probably topple Theresa May in the process.

Not sure this will change much from the EU's perspective - I don't buy this idea that they will suddenly play hardball with us. They've been doing that for months, and flit between bemused and frustrated that we can't even present our position on key issues that should have been dealt with ahead of the referendum let alone the A50 trigger. Hard to imagine that anything today changes their thinking, that they have us in a vice-like grip.

What really changes today, is that the Government get to blame parliament, and that might actually be quite useful for them.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I take it you are lumped on "No deal by 29th" with these views ?
    I'm trying to get Shadsy to open up on a market on the UK asking for an extension of Article 50.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Scott_P said:
    Solve zilch too, the last gold Standard Survation had it Leave 50% Remain 50%.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

TGOHF said:

We only export £150bn worth of goods to the EU, the average tariff rate is about 3% for the EU and that gets charged to EU companies doing the importing, not the UK company doing the exporting.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

Parliament can't negotiate a treaty - practically, constitutionally, it is impossible. They don't have the powers or the means.

Do the EU understand that though? I reckon the EU will now just dig there heels in (even more) thinking that this will be took out of the governments hands in November...
    And into the hands of Rees-Mogg etc, no chance of that, I think the chances of a deal being done are so much higher now.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Chances of No Deal Brexit have just dropped sharply. If Parliament is going to get control of negotiations if no deal has been done by the end of November, then the majority in Parliament who favour a deal is going to get one of one form or another.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    In the earliest period of Roman history, I believe they did pretty much just have a phalanx. Obviously the legionary approach is better known.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Apologies, meant Gareth Snell the new Stoke MP
    I think he is a Remainer. Perhaps you mean Graham Stringer?
    Stringer and Snell will vote with the Government apparently is the latest

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrexitBin/status/1006525448996687872
  • Options
    Mr Currystar,

"I think the chances of a deal being done are so much higher now."

You could be right. It will concentrate the minds of the negotiators. The alternative is several years of uncertainty which no one wants.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Pulpstar said:

I know he isn't liked by the Brexiteers, but having Bercow as the speaker is effectively another vote for the Gov't on european matters.

Sort of though if he wasn't Speaker anymore then his first action after resigning is probably taking the Chiltern Hundreds anyway at which point the resulting by-election cancels that out.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Scott_P said:
    Coin toss to settle it?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Currystar,

You could be right. It will concentrate the minds of the negotiators. The alternative is several years of uncertainty which no one wants.

I think it is a very clever move, the EU will be desperate for a deal now, they will not want the alternative.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Scott_P said:
    Coin toss to settle it?
    Or a second civil war? Remainers Cavaliers and Brexiteers Roundheads?
  • Options
    Looks like we will get EEA which will solve all kinds of problems, just about unite the country (not to say PB), avoid any issues in Ireland (where the compromise of EEA is far better and likelier than any kind of border fudge) and we can then move on.

Poorer, obvs, but free of much of the laws of the EU so many Leavers will be happy as they don't seem overly worried about the well being of their fellow Leavers for whom a vote to Leave was one to make themselves better off but hey, no biggie.

Just as long as no one mentions immigration.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    An armed man claiming to have a bomb has taken three people including a pregnant woman hostage in Paris.

Anti-terrorist police are surrounding the Mixicom computer store in the French capital's 10th arrondissement, close to the Gare du Nord Eurostar hub.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Mortimer said:

I don't think you are right there. The house can resolve itself into a committee and do just about anything.
  • Options
    Anticlimax, as expected.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Once again, the Tory party has put it's own interest over the national interest - they do it every single time!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    currystar said:

CD13 said:

Mr Currystar,

I think it is a very clever move, the EU will be desperate for a deal now, they will not want the alternative.
    Will they? Parliament is full to the brim with the worst kind of remainer, the longer they drag it out the more chance that Parliament will take any kind of shite deal. The EU just got a huge win, our MPs are working to strengthen the hand of our enemy. It's absolutely disgraceful.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Scott_P said:
    Coin toss to settle it?

Probably wrong way around; Cavaliers became the Conservatives, and more of those are Brexiters.

• Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483

Chances of No Deal Brexit have just dropped sharply. If Parliament is going to get control of negotiations if no deal has been done by the end of November, then the majority in Parliament who favour a deal is going to get one of one form or another.

EU have said that deal will have to be done by end of October to allow time to get them all to agree and vote in EU Parliament.
    Government is handing Parliament the cliff edge.
  • Options
    Mr Topping.

I suspect Keir Starmer will agree with you, but the chances of everyone forgetting about the 'i' word are approximately nil.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    MaxPB said:

currystar said:

CD13 said:

Mr Currystar,

Will they? Parliament is full to the brim with the worst kind of remainer, the longer they drag it out the more chance that Parliament will take any kind of shite deal. The EU just got a huge win, our MPs are working to strengthen the hand of our enemy. It's absolutely disgraceful.
    A general election in November might solve a lot of problems
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Looks like we will get EEA which will solve all kinds of problems, just about unite the country (not to say PB), avoid any issues in Ireland (where the compromise of EEA is far better and likelier than any kind of border fudge) and we can then move on.

Poorer, obvs, but free of much of the laws of the EU so many Leavers will be happy as they don't seem overly worried about the well being of their fellow Leavers for whom a vote to Leave was one to make themselves better off but hey, no biggie.

No we won't as both May and Corbyn still oppose EEA
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    CD13 said:

Mr Topping.

I suspect Keir Starmer will agree with you, but the chances of everyone forgetting about the 'i' word are approximately nil.

I'm sure they'll call it something obfuscating.

Who knows, they might even just use the existing controls available to any EU member, tell the general public that the country has left, and carry on as full EU members.

No one would notice.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

currystar said:

CD13 said:

Mr Currystar,

There is no way that will happen, the press coverage of any MP doing what they can to block Brexit will just be too awful for any MP to risk it. I voted Remain but democracy must prevail.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    Great video - would recommend it highly to those who haven't yet seen it.
    Jokes were funny too!
  • Options
    DeClare said:

EU have said that deal will have to be done by end of October to allow time to get them all to agree and vote in EU Parliament.
    Government is handing Parliament the cliff edge.

We thought we had to next March. Now we only have till this October.

Great. Just great.

• Options
    edited June 2018

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Scott_P said:
    Coin toss to settle it?

Probably wrong way around; Cavaliers became the Conservatives, and more of those are Brexiters.

The Tory or Whig Parties were not founded until after the Civil War and the poshest Tories were more likely to be Remainers while working and lower middle class Labour voters were more likely to be Leavers
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    When Grieve was interviewed this morning he said his amendment referred to a cut-off date of 15 February.

Is it clear precisely what Govt has agreed to re 30 November cut-off - I doubt Govt has gone further than what Grieve was proposing.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Mortimer said:

I don't think you are right there. The house can resolve itself into a committee and do just about anything.
    It wouldn’t have control over departments of government. It wouldn’t be able to speak on behalf of the crown. Therefore it is unable to negotiate with a foreign power.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

We are in a very strange place now, @HYUFD so I would hesitate to rule anything out categorically. Especially, as has been demonstrated today, as parliament is not particularly minded to listen to their leaders on either side.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    edited June 2018
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Scott_P said:
    Coin toss to settle it?

The Tory or Whig Parties were not founded until after the Civil War and the poshest Tories were more likely to be Remainers while working and lower middle class Labour voters were more likely to be Leavers
    Their origins were much older. And it’s the irreconcialability which is important.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

We are in a very strange place now, @HYUFD so I would hesitate to rule anything out categorically. Especially, as has been demonstrated today, as parliament is not particularly minded to listen to their leaders on either side.
    And that is why the EU will agree a deal
  • Options
    currystar said:

MaxPB said:

currystar said:

CD13 said:

Mr Currystar,

There is no way that will happen, the press coverage of any MP doing what they can to block Brexit will just be too awful for any MP to risk it.
    You really think they care? :D
This discussion has been closed.