Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lewisham East: Five take aways

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    Roger said:

Dreadful result for Labour particularly in a seat like Lewisham. Probably terminal for Corbyn's chances of being other than an also ran.

If you are a Remainer who would you vote for out of Labour or Tory? Until last week there was sufficient ambiguity to go for Labour. Now I can't see any and it looks like the voters of Lewisham agree. They have tossed away their priceless USP

I heard John McDonnell saying how difficult it was for Labour to ride two horses without bifurcating itself. For once he was correct and now they're well and truly bifurcated.

Did I miss Labour narrowing down their internal divisions down to two horses? That would be progress.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    A good result for the LDs yesterday. It will encourage the troops. Now they can push to be the "Any spare votes, Guv?" party.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902

' The LD canvas projection yet again proved to be remarkably predictive '

How do we know that it was the real canvass return and not expectations management ?

The accuracy of the predictions shows us it was good information.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    IanB2 said:

How do we know that it was the real canvass return and not expectations management ?

In which case the LDs have become stunningly good at guessing. Unless you are suggesting some mystical process in which voters respond to their predictions in sufficient numbers to make them come true?
    Perhaps it was a lucky guess, its certainly a fact that all parties indulge in expectations management.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561
    CD13 said:

I see this comment is circulating again …

The English football team visited an orphanage in Russia yesterday. "It was heart breaking to see their little faces with no hope," said Vladimir, aged six.

:lol: The old ones are the best, eh?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Sean_F said:

Don't get mad, get even. Satellite technology is well advanced in this country. Creating our own system is well within our capacity.

We have no launch capability.

Apart from that...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

That Labour and the Conservatives would be down and the LibDems in second was a pretty easy thing to predict.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,244
    edited June 2018

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

So as I understand it from R4 this morning on Galileo, the UK is like a member of a club, who contributed to a new library when a member, and then after he resigned, still wants to be able to take books away rather than just come in to use the library?

@kle4 analogy rating pls

Or the other way of looking at it is if your were a partner in a business, when you leave that business you would expect your share back, or the other partners to buy you out....

So basically similies like the above can just be spun however you like, so it's pointless.
    Oh it's a simile now is it?

Well in yours, I think you'll find that it all depends on what was in the partnership agreement. If it said if you leave and get zilch, then zilch you get. The EU would be treating us like a Third Country as per, er, the agreement.
    Oh, silly me! Since the partnership agreement (EU treaties) contain no provisions saying that any country leaving has to pay anything to the EU, then according to you we don't have to pay the Brexit bill, right?
    Yeah sure whatevs don't pay them. I thought it was contracted though?

The EU is process-based. In one of their many, many treaties and protocols it has rules for how a Third Country should be treated. Those treaties and protocols are ones that, in our lunacy, we actually signed up to. So as per whoever it was saying the partners would buy us out - only if it is in the agreement.

I mean by all means go hire an army and invade them if it makes you happier but we should continue to be bound be the law in our activities with other institutions and countries.
  • Options
    Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438
    RoyalBlue said:

Coming close on a low turnout by-election tells us nothing.

If you want to spend your time campaigning for a minor party, that’s clearly your choice. It’s other people’s choice to point out that this is probably a waste of your time and energy using the evidence available.

Oh goody! The Conservatives are rattled too. :D Double joy!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    IanB2 said:

In which case the LDs have become stunningly good at guessing. Unless you are suggesting some mystical process in which voters respond to their predictions in sufficient numbers to make them come true?
    Well I for one would not bet against the LDs canvas numbers. Maybe you would - more fool you
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,573
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

So as I understand it from R4 this morning on Galileo, the UK is like a member of a club, who contributed to a new library when a member, and then after he resigned, still wants to be able to take books away rather than just come in to use the library?

@kle4 analogy rating pls

Or the other way of looking at it is if your were a partner in a business, when you leave that business you would expect your share back, or the other partners to buy you out....

So basically similies like the above can just be spun however you like, so it's pointless.
    The EU would be treating us like a Third Country
    So they won’t object if we do the same on things like security, defence, intelligence and immigration, will they?
    Don't get mad, get even. Satellite technology is well advanced in this country. Creating our own system is well within our capacity.
    And has advanced by leaps & bounds since the Galileo design was frozen.....
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Can't see what s very distant second does for the Lib Dems . A waste of resources.

Oh come on... It establishes us as the clear challenger in the seat. Oh, and fighting against Labour is never a waste of resources - your sense of entitlement is very much on show today.
    Spending money and effort to become clear challenger in never-going-to-change-hands seats is the very definition of a waste of resources.
    But there's nothing else politically/vote-wise going on at the moment. Surely your definition fits May's trip to Leeds East during the GE ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_East_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Sean_F said:

Apart from that...
    Isn’t it available in the market?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

That Labour and the Conservatives would be down and the LibDems in second was a pretty easy thing to predict.
    Glad you lumped on te Lib Dems :>
  • Options
    edited June 2018

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

BBC report on Merkel says her CSU agitator is probably grandstanding, so I assume she'll come up with some fudged words over migration and it'll blow over for now?

Hard to know.

I think the beeb is downplaying the problems the CSU boss Seehofer is having with his party. Bavaria has borne the brunt of the Merkel created asylum crisis and the CSU is watching its support drift away to the AfD. Seehofer's job is on the line and he has very little room for manoeuvre. Merkel has rejected every proposed compromise. Over the border the Austrians are telling the CSU to push a hard line on immigration much as they are doing, so Seehofer is between a rock and a hard place.
    You will obviously be reading more widely than me but it does seem that this is an issue that could drive a serious wedge between the CDU and the CSU. Under Merkel the CDU has consistently been more centrist than the CSU. Merkel seems perfectly comfortable with a grand coalition, for example. The CSU’s threat is more to the right than the left and there is only so much of that they can take without sustaining damage. In contrast Merkel has been feeding off an historically weak SDP and doing well by being more centrist.

As in this country Immigration is the sort of visceral issue that can blow this apart. There may be some grandstanding but this coalition is under more strain than it has been for decades.
    Merkel is currently having a hellish fourth term with everything going wrong at the same time.

duff election
    weak coalition
    Europe = Italy, Austria, Brexit,
    Immigration crises - bribes, integration, AfD, CSU
    Diesel scandal -Daimler were forced to recall 772,00 cars last week
    Trump

and now just possibly the economy is about to slow down

There's also the Susanna F affair - young girl murdered by an Iraqi migrant and authorities let him fly home - which gets no reporting here but has filled the German media for the last couple of weeks. English summary below but cant find any article in UK press.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/community-shocked-aghast-after-german-jewish-teen-found-raped-murdered/

It all gives the impression Merkel is losing her grip. As Ive said before who goes first Merkel or May is a fun bet.

If Germany go out in the first round of the World Cup she's toast :-)
    Interesting post, thank-you.

Making a lot of sense until your last point, then you switched to fantasy mode: "If Germany go out in the first round..."? What are you smoking?!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Maybe I'm being thick but I for one still don't understand what purpose Galileo is meant to serve that GPS doesn't. It seems to be creating a system for the sake of creating one.
  • Options

Spending money and effort to become clear challenger in never-going-to-change-hands seats is the very definition of a waste of resources.

There's no such thing as a seat that can never change hands. Just varying degrees of likelihood of them doing so. No Lib Dem thinks of any seat as being safe... not even any of our own.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Scott_P said:

Sean_F said:

Apart from that...
    SpaceX sell that for around £16,000/Kilogram. It is marginal compared to the cost of developing and producing a positioning satellite.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,885

Jonathan said:

No entitlement . Just reality. Can't see how this gets you any closer to actually winning a seat.

A 19% Labour to Liberal Democrat swing is enough to take the following seats from you:

Sheffield, Hallam
    Leeds NW
    Bermondsey & Old Southwark
    Cambridge
    Portsmouth South (from 3rd)
    Vauxhall
    Burnley (from 3rd)

and Birmingham Yardley would be a close run thing.
    Without needing to look anything up, two of these stand out to me as "should be" LD seats and I bet there are a couple more there. By "should be" I mean seats which until recently had prominent LD MPs and without such seats the LDs will comfortably remain the 4th Party in Westminster, and hold no polcy leverage on the government.

Since the Orpington By-election 55 years ago the Liberals/SDP/LDs have had often had great by-election results but have had disappointment in the same seats at the following election.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Scott_P said:

Sean_F said:

Apart from that...
    I wonder how all of those British satellite operators get theirs into space then. Sometimes I wonder why you even bother taking the dunce hat off.
  • Options

Maybe I'm being thick but I for one still don't understand what purpose Galileo is meant to serve that GPS doesn't. It seems to be creating a system for the sake of creating one.

It’s a fall back if the US turns off GPS or degrades it’s accuracy...we should get on with it and build our own....
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Sean_F said:

Apart from that...
    Isn’t it available in the market?
    Indeed as well as private American companies doing it for the faction of what governments used to pay, aren't Virgin (a British company) working on it in their Galactic subsidiary too?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Glad you lumped on te Lib Dems :>
    Sadly no - I didn't know what the odds were until I read the PB header here and by then it was too late.
  • Options

It’s a fall back if the US turns off GPS or degrades it’s accuracy...we should get on with it and build our own....
    OK so its an emergency backup in case of war presumably? Considering the US would only turn it off in an emergency situation.

What purpose does sharing an emergency backup with nearly 30 other countries serve then? In that situation it would be far more secure if we had our own surely?
  • Options

Thousands of bank jobs lost.

But no need to get excited as they're only prole jobs in prole towns:

' About 60 bank branches are closing every month with RBS shutting the most, consumer group Which? has warned.

It found that 2,868 branches will have closed between 2015 and the end of 2018, with the number accelerating this year. '

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44483304

It's another symptom of the more general high-street malaise as many people switch to online. As for shopping, so for banking - much reduced footfall in most branches, it becomes harder and harder to justify keeping them open.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Can't see what s very distant second does for the Lib Dems . A waste of resources.

Oh come on... It establishes us as the clear challenger in the seat. Oh, and fighting against Labour is never a waste of resources - your sense of entitlement is very much on show today.
    But there's nothing else politically/vote-wise going on at the moment. Surely your definition fits May's trip to Leeds East during the GE ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_East_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
    I think that was from the category of 'somewhere up north'.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

Sean_F said:

Apart from that...
    I wonder how all of those British satellite operators get theirs into space then. Sometimes I wonder why you even bother taking the dunce hat off.
    So we are saying fuck you to the EU, we'll make our own effing positioning system so there in order to retain the strategic advantage because, you know, this shit will be used by the military and all sorts of sneaky-beaky outfits we may have but we can't tell you about. Yep we are taking back control.

And then going on to the internet and searching Man-with-a-Van to get a few quotes for launch capacity.
  • Options

There's no such thing as a seat that can never change hands. Just varying degrees of likelihood of them doing so. No Lib Dem thinks of any seat as being safe... not even any of our own.

To be fair that wasn't said before 2015 about Lib Dem seats. I recall a lot written here about the Lib Dems "cockroach" like ability to dig in and secure their seats.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    tlg86 said:

Blue_rog said:

O/T

Guido has a rather amusing article on the number of tickets for Labour live that have been given to Trotsky, Tony Blair etc.

Oh yes and Matt's cartoon is priceless today

My Facebook feed has been full of Labour Live. Apparently some people called "Clean Bandit" are going to be performing.
    If they’ve managed to get bands like Clean Bandit to perform then they’ll probably be okay. They make popular summer singalong hits. I’ll bet they’ve had to pay them a fortune though.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=m-M1AtrxztU
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Really? Wasn't lib dem overconfidence in 2015 largely based on the idea of "strongholds"?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The LibDems will be very pleased with this result, but it's quite hard to interpret on such low absolute numbers. 5,404 votes is not exactly taking the polling stations by storm. The main phenomenon here has been both Labour and Tory voters staying away in droves; both the big parties seem to have mislaid two-thirds of their GE2017 voters.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

Sean_F said:

Apart from that...
    So we are saying fuck you to the EU, we'll make our own effing positioning system so there in order to retain the strategic advantage because, you know, this shit will be used by the military and all sorts of sneaky-beaky outfits we may have but we can't tell you about. Yep we are taking back control.

And then going on to the internet and searching Man-with-a-Van to get a few quotes for launch capacity.
    SpaceX launch capacity is just transport it won't compromise our security.
  • Options

' About 60 bank branches are closing every month with RBS shutting the most, consumer group Which? has warned.

It found that 2,868 branches will have closed between 2015 and the end of 2018, with the number accelerating this year. '

It's another symptom of the more general high-street malaise as many people switch to online. As for shopping, so for banking - much reduced footfall in most branches, it becomes harder and harder to justify keeping them open.
    There's a feedback loop operating as well.

Each shop or bank closing in a town makes it a less useful place to go which reduces potential customers for other shops and banks there.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    eristdoof said:

Without needing to look anything up, two of these stand out to me as "should be" LD seats and I bet there are a couple more there. By "should be" I mean seats which until recently had prominent LD MPs and without such seats the LDs will comfortably remain the 4th Party in Westminster, and hold no polcy leverage on the government.

Since the Orpington By-election 55 years ago the Liberals/SDP/LDs have had often had great by-election results but have had disappointment in the same seats at the following election.

Yes, all but one of those on the list (we've never had Vauxhall) have been LD seats at some point in recent years.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_P said:

Sean_F said:

Apart from that...
    So we are saying fuck you to the EU
    You’ve got that the wrong way round.....
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Scott_P said:

Sean_F said:

Apart from that...
    Galileo uses Russian Soyuz rockets for launching Galileo satellites.
  • Options

The LibDems will be very pleased with this result, but it's quite hard to interpret on such low absolute numbers. 5,404 votes is not exactly taking the polling stations by storm. The main phenomenon here has been both Labour and Tory voters staying away in droves; both the big parties seem to have mislaid two-thirds of their GE2017 voters.

Good point. I think its fair to say that in a GE those who didn't vote this time will vote for either of the main parties and not the Lib Dems as the LDs were buoyed by the by-election whereas in a GE its about who runs the country. I think the LDs vote share is flattered by the low turnout.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Sean_F said:

Apart from that...
    LOL! And Scott thought he was making a point, you couldn't make that up!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Really? Wasn't lib dem overconfidence in 2015 largely based on the idea of "strongholds"?
    Supported by all that Ashcroft constituency polling
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I wonder how all of those British satellite operators get theirs into space then.

We used the ESA launch capability.

Duh.........
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320

kle4 said:

BBC report on Merkel says her CSU agitator is probably grandstanding, so I assume she'll come up with some fudged words over migration and it'll blow over for now?

Hard to know.

I think the beeb is downplaying the problems the CSU boss Seehofer is having with his party. Bavaria has borne the brunt of the Merkel created asylum crisis and the CSU is watching its support drift away to the AfD. Seehofer's job is on the line and he has very little room for manoeuvre. Merkel has rejected every proposed compromise. Over the border the Austrians are telling the CSU to push a hard line on immigration much as they are doing, so Seehofer is between a rock and a hard place.
    I was in Berlin this week - the media were highlighting CDU-CSU divisions, but downplaying the Austrian role: the visitor was being careful not to get involved, and hinting that he was more flexible than one might think. Historically the CSU have always grumbled that the CDU is too centrist but have always fallen into line, and it's hard to see this any differently. That said, the policy is very much associated with Merkel personally - if she retired, I'm sure we'd see a tightening.

The polls are showing the usual drift from government parties to opposition parties (Greens mostly, then AfD and Linke), but nothing existential yet.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

I wonder how all of those British satellite operators get theirs into space then.

Duh.........
    Soyuz is ESA?
  • Options

International partnerships.

What a great idea!

oh, wait...
  • Options

Soyuz is ESA?

Not all satellites used Soyuz
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

International partnerships.

What a great idea!

oh, wait...
    Indeed you don't need to be in a bureaucratic, monolithic, sclerotic and incompetent multinational organisation to partner with Russia ... or SpaceX for a fraction of the cost.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Sean_F said:

Apart from that...
    But Miss...he hit Tommy...

That isn't the point - the point is that if we are going to do our own thing then we should take back control of it all. Or why bother?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

GPS is a legacy system with some weaknesses which is why the US is developing a successor. Galileo addresses some of the deficiencies of GPS by being more accurate, more resistant to disruption via strong encryption and capable of downstream comms to the receivers.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

@kle4 analogy rating pls

Oh it's a simile now is it?

Well in yours, I think you'll find that it all depends on what was in the partnership agreement. If it said if you leave and get zilch, then zilch you get. The EU would be treating us like a Third Country as per, er, the agreement.
    Oh, silly me! Since the partnership agreement (EU treaties) contain no provisions saying that any country leaving has to pay anything to the EU, then according to you we don't have to pay the Brexit bill, right?
    Yeah sure whatevs don't pay them. I thought it was contracted though?

The EU is process-based. In one of their many, many treaties and protocols it has rules for how a Third Country should be treated. Those treaties and protocols are ones that, in our lunacy, we actually signed up to. So as per whoever it was saying the partners would buy us out - only if it is in the agreement.

I mean by all means go hire an army and invade them if it makes you happier but we should continue to be bound be the law in our activities with other institutions and countries.
    This is what is so funny about Remainers - their utterly delusional view of the EU.

The EU treaties are absolutely clear - the EU is funded ONLY via the EUs own resources, and the own resources part of the treaty ends on Brexit. No liability whatsoever.

The EU is not process based. They are not law based. They don't follow rules whenever it suits them. They had a tantrum about the Brexit bill, but EXACTLY the same argument also applies for giving the UK a refund. The EU broke their own laws on bailouts; Target 2 is illegal; the current ECB QE program is also illegal. Their obsession with the ECJ is founded on the fact that the ECJ is a political court, not a legal one, which will always turn a blind eye when asked by the 'colleagues'.

Please get a grip on reality. This is nothing to do with treaties, laws, or doing the right thing. The EU are throwing their weight around like they always do, until someone stands up to them. Russia comes to mind over Ukraine. And then you see how powerful the EU really is (not).
  • Options

OK so its an emergency backup in case of war presumably? Considering the US would only turn it off in an emergency situation.

What purpose does sharing an emergency backup with nearly 30 other countries serve then? In that situation it would be far more secure if we had our own surely?
    The real use for the future is stuff like driverless cars, trucks etc. If you control the GPS signal you could shut down a countries entire economy in the future.
  • Options

The real use for the future is stuff like driverless cars, trucks etc. If you control the GPS signal you could shut down a countries entire economy in the future.
    If security and control are the issues then surely we should control our own? Put it in our Defence budget. Sharing a system with 27 other nations doesn't seem especially secure.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

Duh.........
    Soyuz is ESA?
    ESA buy Soyuz rockets of the nice Mr Putin and send them off from French Guyana.
  • Options

If security and control are the issues then surely we should control our own? Put it in our Defence budget. Sharing a system with 27 other nations doesn't seem especially secure.
    Correct, especially when the fancy encryption technology was developed by the MoD and GCHQ. Big security issue for all the other participants in Galileo.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

kle4 said:

Hard to know.

I was in Berlin this week - the media were highlighting CDU-CSU divisions, but downplaying the Austrian role: the visitor was being careful not to get involved, and hinting that he was more flexible than one might think. Historically the CSU have always grumbled that the CDU is too centrist but have always fallen into line, and it's hard to see this any differently. That said, the policy is very much associated with Merkel personally - if she retired, I'm sure we'd see a tightening.

The polls are showing the usual drift from government parties to opposition parties (Greens mostly, then AfD and Linke), but nothing existential yet.
    I suspect this is more than the usual CDU\CSU jostling, I think Seehofer is having trouble managing his party and is looking a concession which Merkel wont give. Merkel's problem is Seehofer who was almost unseated after the 2017 result.

As for the polls it's the AfD and Die Linke who now have 27% of the vote something I never really imagined we'd see in the Bundesrepublik. Given AfD usually get under reported I'd say were nearing the point where one in three germans is backing a radical party.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

Creating our own system is the obvious (and safe) thing to do. It would have the added benefit of creating several thousand well-paid jobs.
  • Options
    On topic, this is a fine, though not spectacular result, for the Lib Dems. The purpose of working a seat like this is to get your side match-fit, for when more winnable seats come up.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Brooke, months ago, saw an interesting graphic on German parties. Every single one except the AfD was to the left of median public opinion (of course, one would need the detail to make a firm assessment, but that does tally with the AfD having huge room to operate).
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Ref Mike's points:

1. Voters tend to avoid avoidable by-elections

They do, and they have, but this was still an unusually large drop, which is a good measure that there was no great positive enthusiasm for any party, nor any great inclination to punish any of them. Yes, the result wasn't really in doubt and that always suppresses turnout, particularly when there's no larger election in which to cast a 'mandate' vote, but there is a message to take from the low turnout.

2. The Tory vote is hard to squeeze

It's hard for the Lib Dems to squeeze when they're running an ultra-Remain campaign and the Tories are chasing Leave votes (at least on a national level). Actually, I think the LDs did well to suppress the Con share as much as they did. There's also the tactical question of why vote LD to stop Lab when Farron and Cable have been solidly anti-Tory since 2015?

3. The LD canvas projection yet again proved to be remarkably predictive

Indeed. They did extremely well on that score.

4. Getting 50%+ is not too bad for Corbyn

Thoroughly disagree. In Newham NE in 1994, when Lab was looking to replace a weak Tory govt, divided by Europe with a small majority and a leader under threat, Labour put on 17% in a London by-election in a safe Labour seat, and swept up three-quarters of the vote. In Lewisham, Labour leaked votes badly, not just to the LDs but the Grns+WEP won 6% between them. Rod Crosby would say that this is a result that indicates a Con majority at the next GE (there was a nominal Lab-to-Con swing of more than 4%). I've always thought that Rod was too deterministic on that metric but there's no doubt that it's proven surprisingly accurate over the last 10 years. Lab should have hit 70%+ if they were on course to win.

5. The LDs have got their by-election mojo back

Hmm. Mojo is in the eye of the beholder. There's no doubt that:

- Quintupling their vote share;
    - Increasing absolute vote by 160%;
    - Advancing into second; and
    - Achieving the biggest Lab-LD swing in a Labour defence since 1983

is a great set of stats.

On the other hand:

- the LDs threw the kitchen sink at the election and still finished with a vote share smaller than that which they won in the seat in 2010;
    - they pre-announced the result (see (3) above) and so buggered up the expectations game;
    - they lost, comfortably, for the 44th consecutive time in a Labour-in-opposition defence.

You pays your money and you takes your choice on that one.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Hard to know.

I suspect this is more than the usual CDU\CSU jostling, I think Seehofer is having trouble managing his party and is looking a concession which Merkel wont give. Merkel's problem is Seehofer who was almost unseated after the 2017 result.

As for the polls it's the AfD and Die Linke who now have 27% of the vote something I never really imagined we'd see in the Bundesrepublik. Given AfD usually get under reported I'd say were nearing the point where one in three germans is backing a radical party.

There's a huge belt of adjoining countries and regions, Bavaria, Northern Italy, Austria, Hungary, Czechia, Poland, that has moved sharply Right.
  • Options

Mr. Brooke, months ago, saw an interesting graphic on German parties. Every single one except the AfD was to the left of median public opinion (of course, one would need the detail to make a firm assessment, but that does tally with the AfD having huge room to operate).

the more Merkel has pushed the CDU to the centre the more she has left her traditional supporters feeling ignored and looking for an alternative.

reminds me of Cameron in some ways.
  • Options
    Have to disagree with the comments about the Lib Dems. As I far as I see, they threw a lot of money and resources at a safe Labour seat and didn't get anywhere close. Next time round it will probably revert to type. Look at Witney:

In 2010 the LDs were 2nd with 19%. In 2015 after the coalition they dropped to 4th with 7%. At the by-election they soared to 30%, but then last time round they dropped back to 20% in 3rd just behind Labour.

Ultimately, while they can throw resources at by-elections, the LDs won't get more than 20 seats tops at a general election unless they can get their national poll rating out of single figures. In my view to do that they will need a new leader who is willing to bring on board former LD voters who backed Brexit
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

Ref Mike's points:

1. Voters tend to avoid avoidable by-elections

They do, and they have, but this was still an unusually large drop, which is a good measure that there was no great positive enthusiasm for any party, nor any great inclination to punish any of them. Yes, the result wasn't really in doubt and that always suppresses turnout, particularly when there's no larger election in which to cast a 'mandate' vote, but there is a message to take from the low turnout.

2. The Tory vote is hard to squeeze

It's hard for the Lib Dems to squeeze when they're running an ultra-Remain campaign and the Tories are chasing Leave votes (at least on a national level). Actually, I think the LDs did well to suppress the Con share as much as they did. There's also the tactical question of why vote LD to stop Lab when Farron and Cable have been solidly anti-Tory since 2015?

3. The LD canvas projection yet again proved to be remarkably predictive

Indeed. They did extremely well on that score.

4. Getting 50%+ is not too bad for Corbyn

Thoroughly disagree. In Newham NE in 1994, when Lab was looking to replace a weak Tory govt, divided by Europe with a small majority and a leader under threat, Labour put on 17% in a London by-election in a safe Labour seat, and swept up three-quarters of the vote. In Lewisham, Labour leaked votes badly, not just to the LDs but the Grns+WEP won 6% between them. Rod Crosby would say that this is a result that indicates a Con majority at the next GE (there was a nominal Lab-to-Con swing of more than 4%). I've always thought that Rod was too deterministic on that metric but there's no doubt that it's proven surprisingly accurate over the last 10 years. Lab should have hit 70%+ if they were on course to win.

5. The LDs have got their by-election mojo back

Hmm. Mojo is in the eye of the beholder. There's no doubt that:

- Quintupling their vote share;
    - Increasing absolute vote by 160%;
    - Advancing into second; and
    - Achieving the biggest Lab-LD swing in a Labour defence since 1983

is a great set of stats.

On the other hand:

- the LDs threw the kitchen sink at the election and still finished with a vote share smaller than that which they won in the seat in 2010;
    - they pre-announced the result (see (3) above) and so buggered up the expectations game;
    - they lost, comfortably, for the 44th consecutive time in a Labour-in-opposition defence.

You pays your money and you takes your choice on that one.

" they pre-announced the result "
    They also did this in the Richmond By-election and others I think. Accurate there too.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Hard to know.

There's a huge belt of adjoining countries and regions, Bavaria, Northern Italy, Austria, Hungary, Czechia, Poland, that has moved sharply Right.
    I found this article in english which is a reasonable summary of where Merkel is.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/angela-merkel-is-no-longer-the-queen-of-europe-a-1211950.html
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Hard to know.

You will obviously be reading more widely than me but it does seem that this is an issue that could drive a serious wedge between the CDU and the CSU. Under Merkel the CDU has consistently been more centrist than the CSU. Merkel seems perfectly comfortable with a grand coalition, for example. The CSU’s threat is more to the right than the left and there is only so much of that they can take without sustaining damage. In contrast Merkel has been feeding off an historically weak SDP and doing well by being more centrist.

As in this country Immigration is the sort of visceral issue that can blow this apart. There may be some grandstanding but this coalition is under more strain than it has been for decades.
    Merkel is currently having a hellish fourth term with everything going wrong at the same time.

duff election
    weak coalition
    Trump

There's also the Susanna F affair - young girl murdered by an Iraqi migrant and authorities let him fly home - which gets no reporting here but has filled the German media for the last couple of weeks. English summary below but cant find any article in UK press.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/community-shocked-aghast-after-german-jewish-teen-found-raped-murdered/

It all gives the impression Merkel is losing her grip. As Ive said before who goes first Merkel or May is a fun bet.

Well at least my mate Boris looks like he's going to get diplomatic immunity as cultural ambassador for Africa

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44489798
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    malcolmg said:
    You don't think the Second World War allusion is just a little overdramatic?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Hard to know.

duff election
    weak coalition
    Trump

Well at least my mate Boris looks like he's going to get diplomatic immunity as cultural ambassador for Africa

I imagine he’s going to struggle to make that one stick, it’s clear that he’s done what he has purely in order to avoid paying his debts.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Hard to know.

This is why Merkel was monumentally stupid with her policy on immigration. If it had happened that immigrants made there way across borders to reach Germany it would have been an international scale problem. By taking them in in such large numbers Merkel has owned that policy and is continuing to pay, and her old partners are paying by association,

She learned no lessons from the UK experience of mass immigration. Normal people, not racists, are unconformortable with large scale change in areas. This can also be seen in things such as opposition to new housing where insufficient additional services are provided.
  • Options

malcolmg said:
    Is there really a power grab going on?
  • Options
    Mr. L, I'm amused that the SNP is happy for those powers to be held by Brussels but aghast they might be held by London.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    edited June 2018

Arguable. Although perfectly possible, I doubt the UK will create its own positioning system. To be effective you need scale and standardisation. The US, the EU and China can do that. We can't. So we might have some bespoke military equipment that can work with the UK system but off the shelf systems for companies, emergency services etc will be restricted to GPS and Galileo.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:
    Worth reading for the first line

"It must be surreal to be accused of organising a publicity stunt by members of the party that brought us the Great Blue British passport."

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FF43 said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

@kle4 analogy rating pls

3.5 - plenty of people who didn't fund the library can be members of a library, so it might be they are arguing they are off the library funding committee but could still ask to be a member
    As can the UK in terms of access to Galileo. I think the library analogy is a good one because -this is the key thing - the rules for full membership and external access were setup at the time of founding. The UK helped draft those rules. The rest of the committee don't see a reason to change them as a special case for an ex member. Which is pretty much an analogy for the whole of Brexit.
    The difference is that in this case the ex member has a small specialst library (one of the best in the world in its field).

The members of the big library want full access to it, but won’t let the owner of the small library borrow books from them because they think he’ll steal them
  • Options

the more Merkel has pushed the CDU to the centre the more she has left her traditional supporters feeling ignored and looking for an alternative.

reminds me of Cameron in some ways.
    Cameron was to the left of many of his parties traditional supporters but still to the right of median British opinion.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Roger said:

I imagine he’s going to struggle to make that one stick, it’s clear that he’s done what he has purely in order to avoid paying his debts.
    High on his own binary options supply :) ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGM7Na5Nv9Q
  • Options
    Charles said:

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

@kle4 analogy rating pls

3.5 - plenty of people who didn't fund the library can be members of a library, so it might be they are arguing they are off the library funding committee but could still ask to be a member
    As can the UK in terms of access to Galileo. I think the library analogy is a good one because -this is the key thing - the rules for full membership and external access were setup at the time of founding. The UK helped draft those rules. The rest of the committee don't see a reason to change them as a special case for an ex member. Which is pretty much an analogy for the whole of Brexit.
    The difference is that in this case the ex member has a small specialst library (one of the best in the world in its field).

The members of the big library want full access to it, but won’t let the owner of the small library borrow books from them because they think he’ll steal them
    I think that's overstating. The UK is good, but not uniquely good.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,962

malcolmg said:
    It seems to be the primary narrative with the English currently, and for some time. Why shouldn't we have a slice of the overblown bollox?
  • Options

malcolmg said:
    I don't see how, none of the powers that the EU had were devolved powers previously so what's the issue?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

And ignoring what was being said by pb.com contributors on the ground....
  • Options
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Hard to know.

duff election
    weak coalition
    Trump

If only it were the other Boris (not that he should be your mate I hasten to add).
  • Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    The Lib Dems may be the biggest winner of a hard Brexit. Even the most ardent leavers here admit this option is a risk. If it goes wrong then Labour have blown their opportunity to be the true opposition.

• Options
    edited June 2018

Mr. L, I'm amused that the SNP is happy for those powers to be held by Brussels but aghast they might be held by London.

I also find it amusing that a large number of Scots feel the EU is more trustworthy than Westminster.
  • Options

You have to be careful on understanding how the figure is worked out too. I know of a branch closure where the bank is now situated in the adjacent Asda. Normally when they do these stories that would count as a closure. I work in the pub industry and know that Camra's figures about pub closures are nonsense as they count a pub closure in their figures even if it reopens shortly after and things like TUPE apply to staff. I think they even include pubs that stop operating as they are being refurbished.

That said I do all my banking online and only go to a bank to pay in a cheque, and they have machines to do that now.
  • Options

malcolmg said:
    At the moment powers are reserved to the EU and then to the UK. Everything else is devolved to Scotland. The UK government is saying, we'll take the EU powers and then decide if devolve anything down. So Scotland doesn't lose powers through Brexit, but the arrangement arguably goes against the spirit of the devolution settlement where everything is devolved unless explicitly reserved.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Hard to know.

duff election
    weak coalition
    Trump

Talking of diplomatic immunity, has Assange reached any agreement with Ecuador? Its government has changed. I gathered from a R4 programme that the new one would probably like him out of his 'temporary home'.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Roger said:

I don't know the ins and outs of the Boris Becker situation but I'm vaguely surprised no German squillionaire has stepped in to write off his debts.
  • Options
    Charles said:

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

@kle4 analogy rating pls

Do you ever wonder whether these tales of derring-do ang British glory might be a little over-egged? Is it just possible that in some fields we might not be as pre-eminent as The Sun might have us believe?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    I see no evidence for this. Rather there is evidence for the contrary.
  • Options

You have to be careful on understanding how the figure is worked out too. I know of a branch closure where the bank is now situated in the adjacent Asda. Normally when they do these stories that would count as a closure. I work in the pub industry and know that Camra's figures about pub closures are nonsense as they count a pub closure in their figures even if it reopens shortly after and things like TUPE apply to staff. I think they even include pubs that stop operating as they are being refurbished.

That said I do all my banking online and only go to a bank to pay in a cheque, and they have machines to do that now.
    I think now you can pay in a cheque by snapping it on your phone.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

High on his own binary options supply :) ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGM7Na5Nv9Q
    Here's one I did earlier. A slightly more youthful version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP-FqtPFSV0
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Pulpstar said:

That is why all the PB Tories were on here boasting how the Tories were ahead of the Lib Dems. You seem to have very short memory, Mr Richard.
  • Options
    DeanoDeano Posts: 9
    Good work, Mike. I think Lab vote would have suffered more in a Leave constituency. Lewisham will revert to 70% red in 2022, as Libs won't have the manpower.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, those with a political interest in stoking division between Scotland and the rest of the UK certainly seem to believe Brussels is lovelier than London. Can't imagine why...
  • Options
    Welcome to PB, Mr. Deano.
  • Options

And ignoring what was being said by pb.com contributors on the ground....
    I think that the biggest problem for Lib dems is nothing to do with their own performance or leader but everything to do with Corbyn and the risk he poses. It is no longer safe to vote Lib dem when John McDonnell could end up running the economy. I mean May is not very right wing, having adopted a number of Ed Millibands proposals.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Roger said:

malcolmg said:
    Worth reading for the first line

"It must be surreal to be accused of organising a publicity stunt by members of the party that brought us the Great Blue British passport."

Looks like the Record could become pro-independence. Big shift.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

malcolmg said:
    At the moment powers are reserved to the EU and then to the UK. Everything else is devolved to Scotland. The UK government is saying, we'll take the EU powers and then decide if devolve anything down. So Scotland doesn't lose powers through Brexit, but the arrangement arguably goes against the spirit of the devolution settlement where everything is devolved unless explicitly reserved.
    Except these already are explicitly reserved powers not devolved ones.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

I don't know the ins and outs of the Boris Becker situation but I'm vaguely surprised no German squillionaire has stepped in to write off his debts.
    Perhaps the ECB could bail him out
This discussion has been closed.