Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tipping point. Why Scotland’s ultimate independence now looks

1235»

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

It is a pretty sad tale of the death of a British High St.

Not sure why you see it as "Peak Guardian", it seems quite good reportage.
    Agreed. What on earth are we going to do with all this surplus space on the High Street? And what is going to happen to the return on business rates? It is a real problem and local government must stop seeing these stores as cash cows rather than key businesses for local development.
    A lot of the spare building space will inevitably end up as flats especially with the housing shortage
    Maybe. In Dundee city centre we have had retail accomodation that is crying out to be converted into flats sitting empty for 20 years. The Local Authority will not grant change of use somehow believing that the shops (and the associated jobs) will magically return.
    The government's housing targets will mean they soon don't have much choice but to turn them into flats in their Local Plans
    Maybe. I think people prefer to live in suburbia to be honest. Especially if they have kids. The lack of parking is always an issue too.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

DavidL said:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL....

Oil tanker defending from Germany.

To be fair the Mexicans have been frightening going forward. I am not sure I would fancy England's defence against this lot.

This is the best game (bar Portugal-v-Spain of course) that I have seen by a distance.
    I don't fancy England defence against my local U11's team...
    England have only conceded two goals in their last four matches
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Agreed. What on earth are we going to do with all this surplus space on the High Street? And what is going to happen to the return on business rates? It is a real problem and local government must stop seeing these stores as cash cows rather than key businesses for local development.
    A lot of the spare building space will inevitably end up as flats especially with the housing shortage
    Maybe. In Dundee city centre we have had retail accomodation that is crying out to be converted into flats sitting empty for 20 years. The Local Authority will not grant change of use somehow believing that the shops (and the associated jobs) will magically return.
    The government's housing targets will mean they soon don't have much choice but to turn them into flats in their Local Plans
    Maybe. I think people prefer to live in suburbia to be honest. Especially if they have kids. The lack of parking is always an issue too.
    Ultimately yes but young singles, couples with newborns and retired couples are all common in flats ( most of which have car parks and/or residents parking now), suburban semi or detached houses tend to be what you buy to raise a family in
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,938
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

There's another issue I've heard about, and that's parking. Residential properties sell better if they have a parking space, and preferably two, near to the door. Whilst parking is often plentiful near small shops, every spot reserved for residents is one that cannot be used by customers of other small retail units in the area.

I believe parking is a really big issue in urban areas, and is an important aspect to planning decisions. Now, council conversions for social rent might be a very different matter from commercial developments...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

To be fair the Mexicans have been frightening going forward. I am not sure I would fancy England's defence against this lot.

This is the best game (bar Portugal-v-Spain of course) that I have seen by a distance.
    Lets see how they cope against a really good attack.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

There's another issue I've heard about, and that's parking. Residential properties sell better if they have a parking space, and preferably two, near to the door. Whilst parking is often plentiful near small shops, every spot reserved for residents is one that cannot be used by customers of other small retail units in the area.

I believe parking is a really big issue in urban areas, and is an important aspect to planning decisions. Now, council conversions for social rent might be a very different matter from commercial developments...
    Well if fewer customers use high street shops inevitably there will be less parking places provided for shoppers
  • Options
    I hope our future leaders are better at running the country than making boats...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5853745/Cambridge-University-students-boats-celebrate-end-exams-Suicide-Sunday.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Yeah I think that England have good defenders, fast and athletic with a bit of experience.

The problem I see is the midfield which is not focussed enough to give the defence the support it needs and not creative enough to give the ammunition to the front line. Against weaker teams that may not matter. Against the better teams I think it will be a problem.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Ultimately yes but young singles, couples with newborns and retired couples are all common in flats ( most of which have car parks and/or residents parking now), suburban semi or detached houses tend to be what you buy to raise a family in
    Purpose built housing has parking. Converted shops, not so much.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Yeah I think that England have good defenders, fast and athletic with a bit of experience.

The problem I see is the midfield which is not focussed enough to give the defence the support it needs and not creative enough to give the ammunition to the front line. Against weaker teams that may not matter. Against the better teams I think it will be a problem.
    Not sure I agree we have good defenders. We are playing 5 at the back, with Kyle Walker is our best defender but we are having to play him as a make-shift centre back. Jon Stones always looks it is when not if he will make a blunder. Cahill is slow. Maguire inexperienced.

Wing backs, Alexander Arnold is again inexperienced and makes mistakes or the very dull Trippier and left back, it is either out of form Rose or Ashley Young who isn't a left back.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Some could have underground parking
  • Options

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Not sure I agree we have good defenders. We are playing 5 at the back, with Kyle Walker is our best defender but we are having to play him as a make-shift centre back. Jon Stones always looks it is when not if he will make a blunder. Cahill is slow. Maguire inexperienced.

Wing backs, Alexander Arnold is again inexperienced and makes mistakes or the very dull Trippier and left back, it is either out of form Rose or Ashley Young who isn't a left back.
    I think you are much too harsh. Cahill will play centrally where his speed is less of an issue. He is good in the air and has had a good season. Stones and or Jones is good support and Walker is best played as a wingback to take advantage of his exceptional speed. ALexander Arnold is a risk but Young played very well for United this season and is a useful addition if England are trying to break someone down. I see the problems further forward.
  • Options
    Mexico sitting a tad deeper. Could be a mistake.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Should we have anticipated Germany running into trouble in Russia?

Mind you, the French did fine in their first match.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,938
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Some could have underground parking
    I've heard of millionaire pads in London 'digging deep' to add swimming pools and more room sunder existing houses; I doubt it'll be cost-effective to do so on South Woodford high street...
  • Options
    How the hell was that not a penalty? Ridiculous.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936
    Mexico are starting to annoy with the deep back passes. They are going to get caught out if they are not careful.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I expected more of a PB Mexican wave ....
  • Options
    dellertronicdellertronic Posts: 133
    Much of Brexit is down to the SNP. First the attempt to abolish the United Kingdom without asking three of the four countries sent English voters into the arms of the party that traditionally represents them. That created the Conservative majority that enabled the referendum to be called. The First Minister then made a promise (some might call it a vow) to English voters in the run up to the EU vote. Voter leave and get rid of Scotland too. As a leave campaigner I know that promise strengthened the leave vote in the final days and may well have turned remain to leave. So where is the Brexit for Independence deal we voted for?
This discussion has been closed.