Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And so the “meaningful vote” issue gets put back into the bill

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited June 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And so the “meaningful vote” issue gets put back into the bill by the Lords

New Lords defeat for government on Brexit 'meaningful vote' amendment https://t.co/QfOQmitOuC

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    edited June 2018
    The Lords are overriding a manifesto commitment from a sitting government in blatant overruling of the British constitution. May should add another 100 peers.

Now let us see whether the Anglo-French Dominic Grieve continues to serve his other country.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    edited June 2018
    I'm not surprised their Lordships decided to give this particular one another try given what went down in the Commons last week.

For all the outrage some will have at this. if the Commons do indeed accept it this time, which seems to be at least possible, then parliament's will will have been done, in unorthodox fashion. If it is the will of the Commons to say no to this then they will say no again. If it they say yes, then the will of the Commons will have changed.

The questions are if the Commons rebels will take on the government this time, and if they don't (or it is not enough) how much more will the Lords push it?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Elliot said:

The Lords are overriding a manifesto commitment from a sitting government in blatant overruling of the British constitution. May should add another 100 peers.

Now let us see whether the Anglo-French Dominic Grieve continues to serve his other country.

Quite. I believe the lords tried to break the Salisbury Doctrine with Blair. He put them well and truly in their box.

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    I don’t think the rebels have the numbers.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I'm sure the SNP will be happy to accept the view of his noble Lordship on the matter.

More generally, whether something is a constitutional crisis or not I would think partially comes down to if enough people, if the right place, are convinced it is one, even if by the letter it should not be.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Maybe it's not Brexit which will lead to May's downfall.Just maybe,it's the seeds of a bloody plant,genus cannabis,that could bring her down.She's on her own on this one.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Evening all :)

Oh dear, out comes the knee-jerk response "let's have 100, 200 or 500 new peers" to ensure the Government gets its way.

If we get to January 2019 and there's no deal, I think we'd all like to know what the Government's plans are. As for an actual Treaty, what's wrong with the closest scrutiny of such a deal ?
  • Options
    notme said:

Elliot said:

Quite. I believe the lords tried to break the Salisbury Doctrine with Blair. He put them well and truly in their box.

I thought the LDs didn't follow the Salisbury Convention anymore anyway, and no doubt a bunch of others will argue that it doesn't apply in non majority governments, even if the Tories were the most popular single party last time.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    A truly awesome set of events on Waterloo Day.

Hurrah for Harry Kane and the House of Lords.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    So it all comes down to the vote on Wednesday?

We could be within 48hrs of the end of the May government. Or The Good Ship May could just sail on serenely...
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited June 2018
    What would the Commons taking over the executive role in the negotiation of an international treaty mean in practice? Parliament could consider a number of resolutions - extend A50, revoke A50, continue negotiating, crash out.. etc, etc. But what if none of the options commands majority support? Here is a recipe for paralysis. Government can, at least in theory, make a decision. With MPs on their own it will be like herding cats.

I think we can be reasonably sure that there is no majority for:

crashing out
    revoking A50
    holding a referendum
    making Corbyn PM
    Deposing Theresa May as Tory leader
    holding a general election
    EEA
    Border in Ireland.

I do wonder whether Dominic Grieve may have somewhat over reached himself. No surprise that he wakes up in a cold sweat - he could be left holding the baby.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    FPT:
    Anazina said:

SeanT said:

HHAHAHAHAHAH Good to see lots of depressed Remoaners on here tonight, hoping England would lose and we'd all collapse and accept a 2nd referendum, policed by Belgians with watercannons outside the voting booths.

Heh.

Cry God for Harry, Brexit and St George, you treacherous europhile wankers.

+1

Stop being a fucking twat. I have been following England - win or lose - for 35 years.
    As I said before, ignore him. Some on this site have been calling Remainers ‘traitors’ now for sometime so this is unsurprising in some respects. I guess behaviour such as what we’ve seen tonight provides yet explanation as why so many of my generation don’t have a good image of the Conservative Party.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    Time for today's Tesco Strawberry score:

Fife
    Nottinghamshire
    Staffordshire
    Cambridgeshire
    Herefordshire
    Surrey
    Kent

A somewhat unimpressive seven.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Thank God for the World Cup.
  • Options

Fife
    Nottinghamshire
    Staffordshire
    Cambridgeshire
    Herefordshire
    Surrey
    Kent

Who on earth could they be finding to pick these Strawbs?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    I cannot recall too many dividends that I've had to pay for.

Theresa May raising taxes is always a sure fire winner.

https://twitter.com/BBCHelenaLee/status/1008820477534535680
  • Options
    edited June 2018

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

HHAHAHAHAHAH Good to see lots of depressed Remoaners on here tonight, hoping England would lose and we'd all collapse and accept a 2nd referendum, policed by Belgians with watercannons outside the voting booths.

Heh.

+1

Stop being a fucking twat. I have been following England - win or lose - for 35 years.
    I guess behaviour such as what we’ve seen tonight provides yet explanation as why so many of my generation don’t have a good image of the Conservative Party.

I hardly think that is the reason - since young people have never exactly been enamoured of the Tory party, nor are insults from any party's supporters unusual unfortunately. Am I to believe that only Tories spew insults and that's why young people don't like them? There are good reasons why young people don't feel inclined to support the Tories, by and large, and good reasons why their image might not be good with some groups, but supporters spewing insults must surely rank very very low as a factor.

It's tantamount to endorsing the view that 'it's not what you say it's how you say it'.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Ever since June 2016, some on this site have been totally deranged over a certain subject. It’s bizarre. In real life, the only person who I know of who constantly talks about Brexit is my dad, who incidentally wasn’t supporting the England team tonight while me and my mum were.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

I guess behaviour such as what we’ve seen tonight provides yet explanation as why so many of my generation don’t have a good image of the Conservative Party.

I hardly think that is the reason - since young people have never exactly been enamoured of the Tory party, nor are insults from any party's supporters unusual unfortunately. Am I to believe that only Tories spew insults and that's why young people don't like them? There are good reasons why young people don't feel inclined to support the Tories, by and large, and good reasons why their image might not be good with some groups, but supporters spewing insults must surely rank very very low as a factor.
    My generation are millennials, that goes up to those in their late thirties. While 18-24 year olds have never really been fans of the Tories, people after the age of 30 more open to the party, but those people moved away from the Tories at the last GE. It’s not ‘insults’ pe se, more just the mentality among some Leavers that they own patriotism which is what the assertion that 48% of the electorate some how wasn’t rooting for England tonight seems to imply.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287

This is looking like Dementia Tax II. Surely she'll be nicknamed Theresa the Taxing Tory. She's been getting the Right's gander up for some time. This latest tomfoolery - hiking taxes to fund the NHS of all things - might finally persuade them to pull the plug.
  • Options

Well deep reform is out of the question and there's no other way to get the money, and the Tories are going to be pilloried for not spending more on the NHS if they don't promise to do it, so I'm not really sure what her options were in fairness. Raising taxes will be unpopular, even for the NHS, but presumably the others intend to do the same and will lead on the issue in any case, so I guess best for the Tories to state it now and hopefully it will be less caustic an issue for them in 4 years?
  • Options

This is looking like Dementia Tax II. Surely she'll be nicknamed Theresa the Taxing Tory. She's been getting the Right's gander up for some time. This latest tomfoolery - hiking taxes to fund the NHS of all things - might finally persuade them to pull the plug.
    Many on this site were convinced that this was some kind of win on Sunday. May has played this badly, given ‘Remoaners’ all the ammunition they needed against her on this one.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

As I said before, ignore him. Some on this site have been calling Remainers ‘traitors’ now for sometime so this is unsurprising in some respects. I guess behaviour such as what we’ve seen tonight provides yet explanation as why so many of my generation don’t have a good image of the Conservative Party.

lol,. Thatcher was so popular amongst the youngsters. Hence her continued electoral failure.
    SeanT said:

Anazina said:

"Just been in a London pub throwing beer in the air. Shame on you."

So you're not just a traitor, you're a lying traitor. You secretly wanted us to lose and pretended to be a fan. Well done.

hmm.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited June 2018

No it isn't, further property taxes are deeply unpopular, however polling shows a clear majority of voters support increasing National Insurance to provide more funds for the NHS and social care and a plurality support an increase in Income Tax to provide more funds for the NHS and social care
  • Options
    I expect a number of Labour abstentions on the ‘meaningful vote’ amendment, in addition to the usual few who will vote with the government.

• Options
    SeanT said:

News at Ten.

Prince Harry supports Brexit, "It's just something we have to try".

That's Harry Kane and Harry Windsor.

Possibly the two most popular men in the Kingdom,

Eat crow, you europedophile losers.

I reckon:

HMQ - LEAVE

Phil - LEAVE

Harry - LEAVE

Camilla - LEAVE

Vs

Charles - REMAIN

William - REMAIN

Kate - REMAIN

#FamilyAtWar
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    SeanT said:

News at Ten.

He's gonna be disappointed then when we end up with BINO :lol:
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    Nice assist from Leicesters Harry Maguire, and two goals from Former Leicester City loanee Harry Kane.

Belgium will be a tougher test. We need Three oints on Sunday.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    This 'meaningful vote' would be utterly pointless given the Commons has now voted with a big majority to leave the single market and a clear majority to leave the customs union.

What is Parliament going to say 'May go back to the EU and try and get the Canada style FTA you are trying to negotiate with the EU anyway?'
  • Options

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

My generation are millennials, that goes up to those in their late thirties. While 18-24 year olds have never really been fans of the Tories, people after the 30 more open to the party, but those people moved away from the Tories at the last GE. It’s not ‘insults’ pe se, more just the mentality among some Leavers that they own patriotism which is what the assertion that 48% of the electorate some how wasn’t rooting for England tonight seems to imply.
    I don't know that the actions of a deliberate provocateur are illustrative of a general mindset.

Some sides present as owning patriotism. Others present as owning decency (I always remember learning learning through a PPB that Martin Freeman supports Labour because he was raised to be decent. If only more parents had raised their kids to be decent). Others present as owning common sense.

And of course Labour can get away with meddling in the NHS more than the Tories, who can get away with meddling with the armed forces than Labour. How the sides present as 'owning' certain issues is pretty silly, of course it is, but it's party of the party political game.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well deep reform is out of the question and there's no other way to get the money, and the Tories are going to be pilloried for not spending more on the NHS if they don't promise to do it, so I'm not really sure what her options were in fairness. Raising taxes will be unpopular, even for the NHS, but presumably the others intend to do the same and will lead on the issue in any case, so I guess best for the Tories to state it now and hopefully it will be less caustic an issue for them in 4 years?
    How about not cutting Corporation Tax for a start?
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    And as the problems mount for Theresa, so they do for Mutti Merkel:

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/international-news/politics/angela-merkel-down-to-the-count/
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

lol,. Thatcher was so popular amongst the youngsters. Hence her continued electoral failure.
    Thatcher actually won 18-24 year olds in 1983, the last Tory leader to do so
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Foxy said:

Nice assist from Leicesters Harry Maguire, and two goals from Former Leicester City loanee Harry Kane.

Belgium will be a tougher test. We need Three oints on Sunday.

Fly in the ointment with your keyboard Foxy?!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

My generation are millennials, that goes up to those in their late thirties. While 18-24 year olds have never really been fans of the Tories, people after the 30 more open to the party, but those people moved away from the Tories at the last GE. It’s not ‘insults’ pe se, more just the mentality among some Leavers that they own patriotism which is what the assertion that 48% of the electorate some how wasn’t rooting for England tonight seems to imply.
    You're just a traitor, sorry. Every Remoaner is a traitor. It's a truism.

Moving on from that, my wife is 22 and HER generation - younger than you - is, in my experience, very different. They are much more sceptical of ALL politics, left and right. They don't like Tories but they severely dislike Corbyn's Labour as well.

They aren't very patriotic (to my mind) but they aren't keen on Islam AT ALL.

They are an interesting generation (much more interesting than yours, people like you are tediously predictable and drearily unimaginative), it will be interesting to see how they turn out.
    You will of course be dead before you find out what your wife will be like when she grows up.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Maybe it's not Brexit which will lead to May's downfall.Just maybe,it's the seeds of a bloody plant,genus cannabis,that could bring her down.She's on her own on this one.

Maybe she has been smoking it! It would explain a lot of her positions in the Brexit negotiations or lack of them.

Maybe I am being unfair as she does have those dedicated Brexit advocates playing for her. Mind you to give a sporting analogy Johnson, Fox and Davis are not the winning side of 1966 but the team that failed to qualify in 1994!

Anyway - GOOD to see an ENGLAND WIN, shame we cannot have one off the Football field in the realms of politics.
  • Options

kle4 said:

How about not cutting Corporation Tax for a start?
    I'm not an economic expert, but I thought I read that Corporation Tax receipts had gone up since the cut in rates?
  • Options

Many on this site were convinced that this was some kind of win on Sunday. May has played this badly, given ‘Remoaners’ all the ammunition they needed against her on this one.
    There is no space in public discourse for 90% of the cynicism we see on PB. And that’s when there isn’t a World Cup on.

The idea that anything has succeeded or backfired amongst the public at large is for the birds. It was about setting up a position where a few Labour MPs abstain in the Lords ping pong amnendment vote. And a couple of wavering Tories stay onside.

The weekend destroyed Greive’s last hope of suceeding with his silly amendment. Good.
  • Options

SeanT said:

News at Ten.

It’s according to Thomas Markle - this is what Markle said:

TM: It was just a loose conversation about something we have to try. There was no real commitment to it.
    PM: Do you think he was in favour of it?
    TM: I think he was open to the experiment.
    I mean, if it’s true (that’s a big if), it’s not really a massive Pro Brexit stance. Reminds me a lot of The Sun’s claim the Queen supported Brexit a few years earlier.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Voters don't mind paying a bit more national insurance to fund the NHS and social care which is basically what it was set up to fund anyway.

What they do mind and their children mind is the government taxing the value of their properties when they die which they intend to pass onto their children which for some who are not high earners may be the only way they will get on the housing ladder. The dementia tax was a disaster as it effectively would have reversed Osborne's popular inheritance tax cut if you needed personal care at home for dementia
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    FPT:-

As I understand it the consequences of taking strong cannabis affect those in their late teens and early twenties. The sorts of mental health issues affecting the young affect them in the years to ca. 23/24. The 18 year old dividing line is a fiction which does not correspond to underlying reality. This should not be ignored when making policy in this most sensitive of areas.

And if harmless cannabis is sold by Boots, do you think drug dealers are going to stop selling the stronger stuff? We do need to get real about this.

Our current laws may not work. That doesn’t mean that decriminalisation is the answer and won’t have different - but equally harmful - consequences. There may well be no good answers to these problems.

The “oh let’s decriminalise because what we have doesn’t work” brigade are being a bit too pat and superficial in their analysis and prescriptions. Always easy to criticise what we have. A damn sight more difficult to come up with something better. And change is not always - or even necessarily - for the better.

PS The last three sentences could apply to Brexit.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

The weekend destroyed Greive’s last hope of suceeding with his silly amendment.
    How did the weekend do that?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

Moving on from that, my wife is 22 and HER generation - younger than you - is, in my experience, very different. They are much more sceptical of ALL politics, left and right. They don't like Tories but they severely dislike Corbyn's Labour as well.

They are an interesting generation (much more interesting than yours, people like you are tediously predictable and drearily unimaginative), it will be interesting to see how they turn out.
    "Generation Z" could be the one's to save the "Boomers" and "Gen X's" from these dreary Millennial's. :D
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

Brilliant. You have to admire HYUFD’s energy. 2238hrs on a Monday night, everyone else pissed up on football, and he is there with a stat. It’s probably accurate - but who would bother to check it?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

"...people like you are tediously predictable and drearily unimaginative"

Irony is not dead, I see.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    GIN1138 said:

Fife
    Nottinghamshire
    Staffordshire
    Cambridgeshire
    Herefordshire
    Surrey
    Kent

TBH there's such vast amounts of strawberries in the supermarkets and market stalls and at such low prices I'm rather baffled as to who is doing all the picking.

Not to mention pick-your-own are doing a roaring trade from what I've seen and heard.

On a more serious note if there does turn out to be a shortage of agricultural labourers in 2019 (which I very much doubt) farmer will have had three years to invest in equipment replacements and / or convert their output to something less labour intensive.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

I’m only a few years older than your wife, and 22 is a millennial so she’s in ‘my generation’. I don’t know how old you thought I was, lol.
    18-24 year olds voted for Corbyn a year ago, so it turns out you don’t know much about your wife’s generation at all. They also voted for Remain as well, so they are traitors by your assertions as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Elliot said:

Expect Lords Farage, Cash, Caine, Campbell-Bannerman, Carswell, Dacre, Hannan, Reckless etc if this continues much longer
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

As I understand it the consequences of taking strong cannabis affect those in their late teens and early twenties. The sorts of mental health issues affecting the young affect them in the years to ca. 23/24. The 18 year old dividing line is a fiction which does not correspond to underlying reality. This should not be ignored when making policy in this most sensitive of areas.

Make the legal date for selling it 25 then.

I've never felt inclined to use the stuff myself, but I confess while you are usually able to persuade me to pretty much any position I'm not really feeling very swayed from the 'we can probably make it work' side of the argument, since your case seems to boil down to 'It is more damaging than some say' (perhaps, but several places in the world appear to disagree that that means it cannot be managed), 'we don't know what the consequences might be therefore we should do nothing' (on which basis we'd never do anything). Your counter arguments seem to be as superficial as some of the arguments, for once.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    FPT
    SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Oh dear, Bill Shankly was born in Scotland

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1008759999688998917

Catnip for Tim.

https://twitter.com/GOsborneGenius/status/1008770019705094144

At least Jez/the posh boys didn't call it soccer.
    Without Googling it, I assume you know the origin of the word soccer?
    Ha, I didn't until I Googled it.
    Aposite!
    So, annoyingly, the Americans are right to say soccer. The word football belongs to none of the sports that claim to be it.
    I was thinking more of this.

'THE WORD "soccer" is simply a diminutive of association, as in As-soc-iation Football, with "er" added. It was, apparently, all the rage among public schoolboys in the mid to late nineteenth century to bung "er" on the end of a butchered word. '
    I didn't realise that it was posh boys who came up with this and, presumably, rugger.
    C.f. “rugger” (for rugby), “Twickers” (Twickenham), “Singers” (Singapore), the naval game of “uckers“. In fact quite a lot of naval slang does the -er or -ers thing: icers [cold, superlative "harry icers"], redders [hot], roughers, shippers, four [or nine] O’clockers, sippers, gulpers, homeward bounders, limers, snorkers.
    The posho slang for waste paper basket used to be Wagger Pagger Bagger. I jest not.
    Thanks for that delightful factoid Sean - one I had seen before but completely forgotten about. Wikipedia has a nice entry on the Oxford -er. (And for those who missed it, this page of Navy/RM slang is rather fun and has quite a lot of -ers - but I also particularly like "Yodel in a bucket"/"Pavement pizza"/"dockyard omelette"/"technicolor yawn")
  • Options

SeanT said:

News at Ten.

TM: It was just a loose conversation about something we have to try. There was no real commitment to it.
    I mean, if it’s true (that’s a big if), it’s not really a massive Pro Brexit stance. Reminds me a lot of The Sun’s claim the Queen supported Brexit a few years earlier.
    Indeed. It's about as reliable and worthwhile as any of SeanT's rants.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Thank God for the World Cup.

Er, hello. Some of us couldn’t care less about it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Elliot said:

Expect Lords Farage, Cash, Caine, Carswell, Dacre, Reckless etc if this continues much longer
    If the Commons back the Lords amendment this time then the Lords will have been shown to have been right to send it back.

If they send it (or something to the effect) back a third time, then they really have nothing to back up why they did so.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

Ye
    You will of course be dead before you find out what your wife will be like when she grows up.
    I know. How good is that? She's also exceptionally beautiful and very highly sexed. I hope to die like Attila the Hun (in about 15-20 years)
    Can’t be bothered to google it. Did he become frustrated at his open marriage also?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Elliot said:

Expect Lords Farage, Cash, Caine, Campbell-Bannerman, Carswell, Dacre, Hannan, Reckless etc if this continues much longer
    Except... No. None of that's going to happen is it?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

Ye
    I know. How good is that? She's also exceptionally beautiful and very highly sexed. I hope to die like Attila the Hun (in about 15-20 years)
    Didn't he die from a nosebleed? IIRC it was at a party, but even so.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

+1

Ye
    Can’t be bothered to google it. Did he become frustrated at his open marriage also?
    Suspect he suffocated with his head up his own arse.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

And if harmless cannabis is sold by Boots, do you think drug dealers are going to stop selling the stronger stuff? We do need to get real about this.

Our current laws may not work. That doesn’t mean that decriminalisation is the answer and won’t have different - but equally harmful - consequences. There may well be no good answers to these problems.

The “oh let’s decriminalise because what we have doesn’t work” brigade are being a bit too pat and superficial in their analysis and prescriptions. Always easy to criticise what we have. A damn sight more difficult to come up with something better. And change is not always - or even necessarily - for the better.

PS The last three sentences could apply to Brexit.

I agree with what you say with regard to Drugs policy. The law of unintended consequences and all that. Just look at the dreadful way people are left vulnerable with legal highs slumped on the flaw. I suppose opium was never a problem in China around a certain point in history either! I have always thought the Libertarian view of allowing people to do what they want with regard to Drugs is barking mad. Clearly the people who advocate it have never seen the terrible consequences of one nights experiment, which can result in unforeseen misery.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

Thats a bit cruel to say the least
  • Options

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

+1

I’m only a few years older than your wife, and 22 is a millennial so she’s in ‘my generation’. I don’t know how old you thought I was, lol.
    18-24 year olds voted for Corbyn a year ago, so it turns out you don’t know much about your wife’s generation at all. They also voted for Remain as well, so they are traitors by your assertions as well.
    With respect, you are making the mistake of thinking that facts have anything to do with Sean's diatribes.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

Brilliant. You have to admire HYUFD’s energy. 2238hrs on a Monday night, everyone else pissed up on football, and he is there with a stat. It’s probably accurate - but who would bother to check it?
    Justin124 I would imagine.

If you are not too hung over you can check the stat here

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-october-1974

Cameron came close in 2010, the Tories getting 30% of 18 to 24 year olds to 31% for Brown's Labour and 30% for Clegg's LDs

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-october-1974
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

SeanT said:

News at Ten.

Most of the country are now open to Brexit as they have accepted the result and just want to get on with it. It doesn't mean Harry has turned into Jacob Rees Mogg.

Given the Royal family's obvious links to the Anglosphere and the Commonwealth it's inevitable they have had conflicted loyalties since 1973 when we essentially turned our back on the latter for Brussels. Whether Prince William or George eventually become Kings of Jamaica, Australia, NZ and Canada of course is harder to say.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

Ever the gent, eh, Big_G? :wink:

• Options
    SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

I hardly think tod with some groups, but supporters spewing insults must surely rank very very low as a factor.

"Generation Z" could be the one's to save the "Boomers" and "Gen X's" from these dreary Millennial's. :D
    The Millennials (like Apocalypse) are just fucking awful. Boring, repetitive, politically correct, ugly, hairy, smelly, consistently lesbian, and often surprisingly stupid. They will have a reproductive rate of about 1.1 per couple. The stats show this, the men are so scared and effete they won't have sex:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/aug/02/less-sex-please-were-millennials-study

Thank fuck the next generation apparently have a bit more buzz than the likes of "Apocalypse". Otherwise we are doomed.
    You’re only making yourself look bad, here.
  • Options
    More important than any Brexit vote, The Incredibles 2 is out in less than a month. I don't care that I'm over 30, I'll be there.

Play nice everybody, good night.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

Hope so !!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Elliot said:

If May is in the mood to troll the Lords if they keep going on like this it might be
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

SeanT said:

News at Ten.

Most of the country are now open to Brexit as they have accepted the result and just want to get on with it. It doesn't mean Harry has turned into Jacob Rees Mogg.

Given the Royal family's obvious links to the Anglosphere and the Commonwealth it's inevitable they have had conflicted loyalties since 1973 when we essentially turned our back on the latter for Brussels. Whether Prince William or George eventually become Kings of Jamaica, Australia, NZ and Canada of course is harder to say.
    I'm frankly astonished the Queen is still queen of Jamaica. I think it requires a referendum to change, but IIRC both main parties support becoming a republic, so not sure what the hold up is.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Fife
    Nottinghamshire
    Staffordshire
    Cambridgeshire
    Herefordshire
    Surrey
    Kent

TBH there's such vast amounts of strawberries in the supermarkets and market stalls and at such low prices I'm rather baffled as to who is doing all the picking.

Not to mention pick-your-own are doing a roaring trade from what I've seen and heard.

On a more serious note if there does turn out to be a shortage of agricultural labourers in 2019 (which I very much doubt) farmer will have had three years to invest in equipment replacements and / or convert their output to something less labour intensive.
    Wimbledon starts in two weeks. Given I have credit cards and current accounts with HSBC, M&S and First direct I will be entitled to up to six free strawberries and cream courtesy of the HSBC group per visit.

If there is a strawberry shortage the entire tournament may have to be cancelled next year!
  • Options

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

+1

I hardly think tod with some groups, but supporters spewing insults must surely rank very very low as a factor.

The Millennials (like Apocalypse) are just fucking awful. Boring, repetitive, politically correct, ugly, hairy, smelly, consistently lesbian, and often surprisingly stupid. They will have a reproductive rate of about 1.1 per couple. The stats show this, the men are so scared and effete they won't have sex:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/aug/02/less-sex-please-were-millennials-study

Thank fuck the next generation apparently have a bit more buzz than the likes of "Apocalypse". Otherwise we are doomed.
    You’re only making yourself look bad, here.
    LOL 'bad' in this context is shorthand for 'a complete dick as usual'.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Elliot said:

Expect Lords Farage, Cash, Caine, Carswell, Dacre, Reckless etc if this continues much longer
    If the Commons back the Lords amendment this time then the Lords will have been shown to have been right to send it back.

If they send it (or something to the effect) back a third time, then they really have nothing to back up why they did so.
    I expect the latter is the most likely course
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited June 2018

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

I think a successful, published best seller fiction writer requires imagination.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Elliot said:

Of course not
  • Options

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

Hope so !!
    Did you enjoy (or endure) the football?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

Sean - go to bed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Make the legal date for selling it 25 then.

I've never felt inclined to use the stuff myself, but I confess while you are usually able to persuade me to pretty much any position I'm not really feeling very swayed from the 'we can probably make it work' side of the argument, since your case seems to boil down to 'It is more damaging than some say' (perhaps, but several places in the world appear to disagree that that means it cannot be managed), 'we don't know what the consequences might be therefore we should do nothing' (on which basis we'd never do anything). Your counter arguments seem to be as superficial as some of the arguments, for once.
    Well, I’m flattered that I have been able to persuade you in the past.

I think this is something that needs a Royal Commission with evidence taken etc. I don’t know what the answer is so am not really trying to persuade to any one course of action. I have concerns and worry about laws being changed on the basis of sentiment rather than evidence. That is really my point. If change is needed it needs to be for the better and be based on evidence and with properly enforced safeguards. So I am open to persuasion - if sceptical.

I would only say that I have majored on the mental health angle because I have seen close up what this means in practice. It is not pretty. And I feel cross about those who ignore the very real consequences for the vulnerable which they don’t have to live with while spouting their love for libertarianism.
  • Options
    notme said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

I think a successful, published best seller fiction writer requires imagination.
    Fair point. And his rants do always provoke a reaction, I guess. I bet he's nice as pie face to face.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

+1

With respect, you are making the mistake of thinking that facts have anything to do with Sean's diatribes.
    It’s one of the reasons why I generally (try) to ignore his posts. I’m generally open to hearing other views - DavidL, David Herdson, Big G et al are all great right leaning posters on here as well as kle4. But hearing constantly how terrrrible Muslims are from SeanT, on the other hand isn’t exactly pleasant nor insightful.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

brendan16 said:

SeanT said:

News at Ten.

I'm frankly astonished the Queen is still queen of Jamaica. I think it requires a referendum to change, but IIRC both main parties support becoming a republic, so not sure what the hold up is.
    I expect they are respectfully waiting for Charles to take over.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

You'ret.

The younger generation have more distractions, from multi-channel TV, internet, Netflix, facebook, twitter, google etc than their parents and grandparents generation did and of course if you are feeling frisky you can access multiple amounts of porn on tap over the internet without actually having to do the deed
  • Options

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

+1

It’s one of the reasons why I generally (try) to ignore his posts. I’m always open to hearing other views - DavidL, David Herdson, Big G et al are all great right leaning posters on here as well as kle4. But hearing constantly how terrrrible Muslims from SeanT, on the other hand isn’t exactly pleasant nor insightful.
    Agreed, on all points.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    The Grieve 2 amendment while sensible and useful is incredibly minor in the scheme of things. The Commons controls Confidence and Supply for God's sake let alone the raft of other Brexit legislation that's yet to be considered. If there is either a no deal no deal or a deal on no deal rhe Commons will have ample oppertunity to change government policy or change the government. I think it's largely displacement activity on both sides.

A legislature wjich lost control of Brexit when it squandered the Supreme Court ruling and an Executive that lost control of Brexit when it invoked A50 without a plan. Both now squabbling for control over each other because neither has control over the other. The EU will decide what deal it will offer ( in light of our Red lines ) then we'll take it as we've no choice.

In addition I'm not convinced Corbyn wants to defeat May over Grieve 2. Look at the size of the Labour EEA rebellion on the Leave side as well as Remain. Grieve and the Lord's are too be saluted for doing their jobs. But it really doesn't matter very much at all in terms of where Brexit goes. I just wish I liked Football as I suspect an England world cup win would have more practical impact on the Brexit outcome than Grieve 2.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

SeanT said:

News at Ten.

lol - The Royal family changed their name around the time of the 1st World War because the existing name was too Germanic! The Royal Family, whilst it is true has become more British in its appearance in recent generations has an ancestry that has its roots in Europe. Indeed, I would say only the Hapsburg challenge the British for having their blood in other European royal bloodlines. Just think of Russia, Germany, Spain all of which have links back to Queen Victoria.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

kle4 said:

brendan16 said:

SeanT said:

News at Ten.

That is probably true now, but they've been talking about doing it for a long time, as have other Caribbean nations apparently, decades in Jamaica's case.

And since the Queen is immortal they may be waiting a long time.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

I hardly think be good with some groups, but supporters spewing insults must surely rank very very low as a factor.
    My generation are millennials, that goes up to those in their late thirties. While 18-24 year olds have nw wasn’t rooting for England tonight seems to imply.

Nope. I'll cease tormenting and insulting you - you embarrass yourself quite enough, to be honest, you ludicrously pungent, weirdly bearded witch - but Millennial by definition is "self-defining" and she's 22, born in late 1995. Millenials are generally deemed those born from about 1997 to 1994.

So she's younger than you and she self defines differently. Sorry. You're older.
    Jesus Sean if you fancy @The_Apocalypse just come out and tell her. Sorry to hear not everything is going well at home.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Hope so !!

.................................................................................

It was poor and rather funny with the penalty and I doubt it heralds and all conquering England march to the final
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Someone aged 22 would be Gen-Z - The generation after the Milennials.

Gen-Z is generally regarded to be the children on Gen-X and they're born from the mid-1990's to mid-2000's (although there is no clearly defined end date for Gen-Z yet)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Z

So a 22 year old would be born around 1996 making them very early Gen-Z.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

+1

I hardly think be good with some groups, but supporters spewing insults must surely rank very very low as a factor.
    My generation are millennials, that goes up to those in their late thirties. While 18-24 year olds have nw wasn’t rooting for England tonight seems to imply.

Nope. I'll cease tormenting and insulting you - you embarrass yourself quite enough, to be honest, you ludicrously pungent, weirdly bearded witch - but Millennial by definition is "self-defining" and she's 22, born in late 1995. Millenials are generally deemed those born from about 1997 to 1994.

So she's younger than you and she self defines differently. Sorry. You're older.
    More tosh.

You'd better get Wikipedia corrected...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

"There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

Millennial is not self defining, and millennials are deemed those born between 1981 and up to the late 90s/the year 2000.

So yes, as 1995 baby she’s a millennial. A lot of the early Gen Z estimates mainly start at 1996, and even then many others seem fall between 1998-2000.

• Options
    edited June 2018

'You will of course be dead before you find out what your wife will be like when she grows up.

Hope so !!

.................................................................................

It was poor and rather funny with the penalty and I doubt it heralds and all conquering England march to the final'

Looking at the draw after Germany lost we might be better off going through runners up, if we win the group we likely face Germany or Brazil in the quarter finals as runners up we likely face Mexico (though Mexico could keep up their form of course)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

I hardly think that is t factor.

They aren't very patrivenotic (to my mind) but they aren't keen on Islam AT ALL.

Dude. Ta but no. I dish out cruelty and expect it in return. I thankyou for your concern but, let's be fair, I can be a total bastard and see this site as a place to vent my spleen, and I therefore predict vented return-o-spleen. Bring it on!
    I know Sean - as my dear wife would say 'just a big stirrer'
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Heh.

+1

Your bed is calling. Pint of water. Two paracetamol. Apology in the morning.
  • Options

Hope so !!

It was poor and rather funny with the penalty and I doubt it heralds and all conquering England march to the final
    Indeed but at least depression is delayed by a few more days.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200
    House of Lords?

Don't you mean House of Unelected Has-Beens? :lol:
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Looking forward to Mr Meek’s piece tomorrow about how Harry Kane’s late goal means Scottish Independence is inevitable.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    GIN1138 said:

Someone aged 22 would be Gen-Z - The generation after the Milennials.

Gen-Z is generally regarded to be the children on Gen-X and they're born from the mid-1990's to mid-2000's (although there is no clearly defined end date for Gen-Z yet)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Z

So a 22 year old would be born around 1996 making them very early Gen-Z.
    Someone 22 isn’t necessarily born in 1996, it depends on birthday - it can be someone born in either 1995/96 - and SeanT’s just said his wife is born in 1995.

Gen Z doesn’t have a determined start date, let alone a determined end state. The earliest start dates are mainly placed at 1996, but others - such a as Pew Research - place the start date at 1997/8. Some place it at 2000. It’s very rare that it gets placed at 1995 - which is when SeanT’s wife is born.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    HYUFD said:

'You will of course be dead before you find out what your wife will be like when she grows up.

Hope so !!

It was poor and rather funny with the penalty and I doubt it heralds and all conquering England march to the final'

Looking at the draw after Germany lost we might be better off going through runners up, if we win the group we likely face Germany or Brazil in the quarter finals as runners up we likely face Mexico (though Mexico could keep up their form of course)
    A bit too early to say that yet - let's get through the second group games before assessing the permutations. Germany could be out by then!
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    kle4 said:

brendan16 said:

kle4 said:

brendan16 said:

SeanT said:

News at Ten.

That is probably true now, but they've been talking about doing it for a long time, as have other Caribbean nations apparently, decades in Jamaica's case.

And since the Queen is immortal they may be waiting a long time.
    Plus the Caribbean nations can now see the royal family has a mixed race member at last thanks to Harry marrying Meghan Markle
  • Options

Hope so !!

Indeed but at least depression is delayed by a few more days.
    They will get through the group but that is when they wlll be tested
This discussion has been closed.