Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Older voters more likely to back legalisation of cannabis for

Comments

• ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    That's the ERG block vote gone.
  • JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

Won't they wait to hear what Sajid says about the meeting?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,273

He was never going to get it anyway.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

Prime Minister in waiting

If you zoom out, are they both doing the Tory power stance?

He was never going to get it anyway.
    I agree with that.
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    @Cyclefree

That is fair enough, my neither here nor there comment was in regards to medical marijuana and specifically the most serious cases. Much in the same way we wouldn't take away someone's morphine away who medically needed it despite the problems it can cause when misused.

As in regards to your comments how do you know they were cannabis induced?

Scientists have yet to actually discover/prove the actual link so I suspect that it is thought to be cannabis induced. Although as I've discovered people are often quick to look for something bad to blame rather than assume there might be some underlying problems, which can be accurate but sometimes isn't. It may well be but it might not be. Did these teenagers also drink and smoke tobacco?

Assuming they are victims of cannabis why are you supporting the system that enabled this to happen to them?

Your argument must surely be about other children which would fall prey to cannabis and develop a psychosis as the system you currently support has made these people and their families victims (assuming your accurate that cannabis was the cause)
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733
    He's great on foreign affairs, beyond useless on domestic stuff. I'll pass.

Oh sorry, did you mean Javid? Nah, he's too hot a favourite now.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,566
    edited June 2018
    ydoethur said:

Australia all out for 236, losing 7-75 to spin off 15 overs.

Even old Alistair Campbell wasn't that good at spinning figures.

Interestingly, England’s score isn’t the one day international record - that is held by New Zealand’s women’s team.

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    A tube station has been evacuated after an explosion with several people feared injured.

The Met Police were investigating a suspicious package at Southgate Tube Station in Enfield, North London, tonight when an explosion happened.
    You do know that it's written in our unwritten constitution that a bald man cannot become PM, don't you?

A tube station has been evacuated after an explosion with several people feared injured.

The Met Police were investigating a suspicious package at Southgate Tube Station in Enfield, North London, tonight when an explosion happened.

That doesn't sound good.
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    ydoethur said:

Freggles said:

O/T

Wouldn't it have been awesome if Ed Miliband had won in 2015.

No. It would have been a bit like it is now, only with UKIP still rampaging around rather than providing us with light relief by splitting every three minutes.
    No Brexit.
    No hard left takeover of Labour. Antisemitism out in the cold. Greens probably on 7%.
    Yes, UKIP would still be skulking around but that's because their ideology would not have become mainstream.

You do know that it's written in our unwritten constitution that a bald man cannot become PM, don't you?
    Didn't stop Cameron, Churchill, Attlee or Salisbury off the top of my head (no pun intended).
    ydoethur said:

That doesn't sound good.
    No serious injuries according to the Grauniad, thankfully...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/19/minor-explosion-reported-at-southgate-north-london-tube-station
    Freggles said:

ydoethur said:

Freggles said:

O/T

Wouldn't it have been awesome if Ed Miliband had won in 2015.

No. It would have been a bit like it is now, only with UKIP still rampaging around rather than providing us with light relief by splitting every three minutes.
    No Brexit.
    No hard left takeover of Labour. Antisemitism out in the cold. Greens probably on 7%.
    Yes, UKIP would still be skulking around but that's because their ideology would not have become mainstream.
    I'm not sure I would bet on the third. And as long as they were around there was always a risk of the first.

ydoethur said:

That doesn't sound good.
    No serious injuries according to the Grauniad, thankfully...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/19/minor-explosion-reported-at-southgate-north-london-tube-station
    That sounds a lot better.
    ydoethur said:

Didn't stop Cameron, Churchill, Attlee or Salisbury off the top of my head (no pun intended).
    Cameron? That's a bit harsh.

It's now over 60 years since we had a bald PM which is long enough for it to become fully embedded in the constitution imho. In any event, being a bit thin on top myself, I have regretfully decided my ambition to become PM is now unrealistic.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Haha, thank you to be honest I think a lot of the problems to do with legislation are based on a complete lack of understanding, even this whole super skunk thing seems something of a propaganda weapon rather than based on any actual understanding. My suspicion, call me paranoid, was that it is an attempt to differentiate it from the weed some people smoked, or knew people who smoked back in the 70's and 80's and such. We should try to assuage people's fears but legislation should be based on results and not how it might look in newspaper headlines.

Also in regards to the medical marijuana thing there are people with incredibly debilitating conditions that need it now, the fact it isn't good for teenagers is neither here nor there, I wouldn't suggest that we start telling GPs to supply everybody with marijuana for their conditions but people who have constant seizures like this boy or other videos I have seen should be allowed it right now regardless of other effects it could have the benefits far out way the costs.

I know from personal experience it can provide pain relief, although it was only in one specific circumstance rather than all pain but those people in constant pain, especially those who are already adults would be better off taking marijuana than harder pain medications.

One of my mates' dad has MS and he hasn't found anything as effective as strong marijuana for the symptoms.

I often hear the argument that it hasn't been proved effective in clinical trials; how many clinical trials have been done? This isn't like the homeopathy bullshit; THC and CBD are real drugs that have actual effects. The law truly is an ass if it's prevented testing of these drugs, while we've been wasting money doing tests on sugar pills.
    It’s not. GW Pharma is a U.K. company that developed Savitex for spascity associated with MS. The challenge is the relatively small market for some of the drugs which makes it non economic to invest the money to run the trials
    edited June 2018

ydoethur said:

Cameron? That's a bit harsh.

It's now over 60 years since we had a bald PM which is long enough for it to become fully embedded in the constitution imho. In any event, being a bit thin on top myself, I have regretfully decided my ambition to become PM is now unrealistic.
    For me, that would be about the only positive of going bald at 32!
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Just amazing thread on the post referendum revisionism that says the non CU, non SM model was always the Brexit prospectus.

https://twitter.com/EmporersNewC/status/1009155543087362050?s=19

Even looking through old threads on here, the comment threads are much more focused on "the freedom to choose our destiny" than any particular model. Many Leavers argued it was for the government, not the referendum campaigns, to decide what to do after a Leave vote.
    Ha! Whoever wrote the ERG note can't spell:

"...negotiations braking down..."
    "...gain a further mandate for it's stance..."

Teaching standards at Eton must be pretty shoddy!
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

1/2

I imagine th are attracted to such things, they are often people with bad childhoods and people who have grown up in poor environments. Many people with far better lives like to escape/unwind/enjoy themselves with these things people who have suffered will be far more attracted to them.

Alcohol isn't a good example as it does cause mental illness but (as far as I know) tobacco doesn't, yet you would probably find a high correlation between smokers and those with mental health problems.

The issueof whether psychiatric disease preceeds or arises from drug use is an interesting question, but the evidence as assessed by the Psychiatrists is that the drug use comes first:

https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfo/problems/alcoholanddrugs/cannabisandmentalhealth.aspx?theme=mobile

People may want cannabis to be innocuous to themselves and to society, but it isn't.
    Thank you. I made this point yesterday evening and was roundly poo-poohed for my pains.

I despair when I read people like The Jezziah saying that the effect on a few teenagers is “neither here nor there”. Try seeing what its effect is like on your teenager. Psychosis is not pretty.
    Can’t believe I’m defending The Jezz against your strawmanning, but I am.
    His point “In fact the current regime probably helps children get marijuana more easily than a legalised system...” is quite clear on why it’s “neither here not there”.
    Exactly!

Also my neither here nor there comment about teenagers was in regards to people with serious medical conditions being denied medical treatment. I'm not sure any woman in the mothers situation recently whose boy had seizures all the time would give a damn either about arguments saying it causes problems in some teenagers. That is absolutely no good reason to force her son to live in pain. Some people have no compassion.
    Pharmaceuticals can be released prior to definitive licensing on compassionate grounds, though there is a fair amount of paperwork. Just allowing anyone to use it to self medicate without a proper testing procedure is neither safe nor ethical.
    Except that in this case, you are talking about a substance which has been used for self medication for several millennia. Extending that to a general principle doesn’t really work.
    It doesn’t work like that. Synthetic compounds can be different.

As an example look at Rimonabant on wiki. Drug related SAEs include depression, suicidation, URTI and nausea as well as more minor side effects.

And post marketing analysis demonstrated a doubled risk of psychosis among takers
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Yes, Verhofstadt would be quite good.

Yes, Verhofstadt would be quite good.
    :lol: Very good!
    edited June 2018

@Cyclefree

That is fair enough, my neither here nor there comment was in regards to medical marijuana and specifically the most serious cases. Much in the same way we wouldn't take away someone's morphine away who medically needed it despite the problems it can cause when misused.

Scientists have yet to actually discover/prove the actual link so I suspect that it is thought to be cannabis induced. Although as I've discovered people are often quick to look for something bad to blame rather than assume there might be some underlying problems, which can be accurate but sometimes isn't. It may well be but it might not be. Did these teenagers also drink and smoke tobacco?

Assuming they are victims of cannabis why are you supporting the system that enabled this to happen to them?

Your argument must surely be about other children which would fall prey to cannabis and develop a psychosis as the system you currently support has made these people and their families victims (assuming your accurate that cannabis was the cause)

Look at the post marketing data analysis for Rimonabant

Can't see it tbh Big_G... too many of your dwindling party members have views more akin to Chope's than your more enlightened outlook.
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,701
    It's a bit premature for the England manager to have tube stations named after him?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2018
    O/T:

Update on yesterday's shooting in Malmo:

"Sweden shooting: Three dead in Malmo cafe attack

A shooting at an internet cafe in the southern Swedish city of Malmo has claimed the lives of three men.
    Several others were wounded in the centre of the city late on Monday, when at least one attacker opened fire as the victims left the cafe.
    Police said there was no indication of terrorism. Malmo has gained a reputation for violent crime."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44531447
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957

Can't see it tbh Big_G... too many of your dwindling party members have views more akin to Chope's than your more enlightened outlook.
    That is just such a lazy, uninformed piece of spouting from somebody with zero insight into today's Conservative Party.
    Off topic, the separation of illegal immigrant children from their families looks like it could be beginning to hurt Trump and the GOP ahead of the mid-terms.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/separating-families-at-the-border-is-really-unpopular/
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

I think it's fair to say Australia are struggling here.

All over. That really wasn't close.
    We should have enforced the Follow On. Make it a real contest.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    No Italy or Holland in World Cup this time? Is that not rare?

That is just such a lazy, uninformed piece of spouting from somebody with zero insight into today's Conservative Party.
    Time will tell. I can only speak as I find... Tory party members on PB? - generally reasonably socially liberal. Those I meet locally? - er, no.
    justin124 said:

No, it is rare. :wink:
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Time will tell. I can only speak as I find... Tory party members on PB? - generally reasonably socially liberal. Those I meet locally? - er, no.
    Maybe that says more about the circle of Tory party members you travel in locally. How many do you know locally?
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited June 2018

Tim Bale’s research didn’t exactly indicate that Tory party members were all that liberal either. But, politics is very unpredictable right now, so we can’t make any sure conclusions as to how they’d respond to Javid.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Nigelb said:

Except that in this case, you are talking about a substance which has been used for self medication for several millennia. Extending that to a general principle doesn’t really work.

So has mercury. And cannabis of the kind which has been developed by selective breeding over the past 30 odd years has been available for less than 30 odd years, rather than millennia. Good point, though.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001

Members want power more than anything
    Charles said:

@Cyclefree

You are going to have to give me a bit more to go on here....

That seems to be a weight loss drug?

I was talking about marijuana you would buy on the street rather than one where a company has tried to take elements out of it, which I do wonder could be part of the problem itself. In companies determination to take out the bits that make you high I think they end up causing more problems than they solve most of the time.

The advantage to legalised supply is the government could even extend some control to what strains are grown by studying in further detail the slight differences between them and their effect.

And Ben - referring to the dinosaur Chope does not cut it. He was comprehensively called out by everyone in the party and I am still at a state of fury with his stupid ill thought through actions.
  • hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    The cannabis poll surprised me - I would have thought that the young would be more progressive in their attitude towards it when compared to older voters. I don't have a problem with legalising cannabis - its effectively legal now, how many people have been prosecuted for cannabis use of recent times?

Funny how we're not hearing about the extremely cold weather that is going on in Australia right now, and the energy crisis last week - with a salient warning of where the lunacy of the man made climate change nonsense inspired energy policies lead:

https://www.2gb.com/energy-grid-at-crisis-point-as-power-prices-surge-160-times-the-usual-rate/

Off topic, the separation of illegal immigrant children from their families looks like it could be beginning to hurt Trump and the GOP ahead of the mid-terms.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/separating-families-at-the-border-is-really-unpopular/

And so it should - absolutely disgraceful and unjustifyable
    edited June 2018

Maybe that says more about the circle of Tory party members you travel in locally. How many do you know locally?
    Not as many as I used to, as several have lapsed and a few unfortunately have passed away.

I prefaced my response to Big_G "Can't see it [Javid becoming leader] tbh..." - it was only an opinion. If those of you who are Tory party members think differently I am happy to stand corrected, though time of course may be the real judge.

Tim Bale’s research didn’t exactly indicate that Tory party members were all that liberal either. But, politics is very unpredictable right now, so we can’t make any sure conclusions as to how they’d respond to Javid.
    He has my vote and I have just received my renewed membership card all ready to go whenever it is required

Not as many as I used to, as several have lapsed and a few unfortunately have passed away.

I prefaced my response to Big_G "Can't see it [Javid becoming leader] tbh..." - it was only an opinion. If those of you who are Tory party members think differently I am happy to stand corrected, though time of course may be the real judge.
    At present he must be the hot favourite

Charles said:

@Cyclefree

I was talking about marijuana you would buy on the street rather than one where a company has tried to take elements out of it, which I do wonder could be part of the problem itself. In companies determination to take out the bits that make you high I think they end up causing more problems than they solve most of the time.

The advantage to legalised supply is the government could even extend some control to what strains are grown by studying in further detail the slight differences between them and their effect.
    It was a cannanbinoid antaganist. Gerard’s idea was the “reverse munchies” as an appetite suppressant. Problem was the active crossed the blood brain barrier and fucked people up.

If you are going to approve something for general use it needs to be standardised and tested. You can do that with herbal medicines but it is complex and costly
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

1/2

I imagine

Alcohol isn't a good example as it does cause mental illness but (as far as I know) tobacco doesn't, yet you would probably find a high correlation between smokers and those with mental health problems.

The issueof whether psychiatric disease preceeds or arises from drug use is an interesting question, but the evidence as assessed by the Psychiatrists is that the drug use comes first:

https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfo/problems/alcoholanddrugs/cannabisandmentalhealth.aspx?theme=mobile

People may want cannabis to be innocuous to themselves and to society, but it isn't.
    Thank you. I made this point yesterday evening and was roundly poo-poohed for my pains.

I despair when I read people like The Jezziah saying that the effect on a few teenagers is “neither here nor there”. Try seeing what its effect is like on your teenager. Psychosis is not pretty.
    His point “In fact the current regime probably helps children get marijuana more easily than a legalised system...” is quite clear on why it’s “neither here not there”.
    Exactly!

Also my neither here nor there comment about teenagers was in regards to people with serious medical conditions being denied medical treatment. I'm not sure any woman in the mothers situation recently whose boy had seizures all the time would give a damn either about arguments saying it causes problems in some teenagers. That is absolutely no good reason to force her son to live in pain. Some people have no compassion.
    Pharmaceuticals can be released prior to definitive licensing on compassionate grounds, though there is a fair amount of paperwork. Just allowing anyone to use it to self medicate without a proper testing procedure is neither safe nor ethical.

As an example look at Rimonabant on wiki. Drug related SAEs include depression, suicidation, URTI and nausea as well as more minor side effects.

And post marketing analysis demonstrated a doubled risk of psychosis among takers
    Thought we were discussing medical cannabis ?
    What’s Rimonabant got to do with it ?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Nothing very amazing, but interesting that a referendum in Ulster on unity with Ireland is now close to a toss-up:

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2018/06/brexit-the-border-and-the-union/

justin124 said:

No, it is rare. :wink:
    Really enjoyed the world cup so far. More goals from free kicks (4) than the whole of Brazil 4 years ago. Lots of bright positive play from the games I've seen with plenty of teams seeing vulnerabilities in their opponents that they feel they can exploit. I hope we don't resort to cagey knock out games as has been the case in recent tournaments, after a lot of bright positive play in the group games.

VAR didn't work in the England game with 2 stonewall penalties, but by and large it has worked well. One grey area with it is a penalty appeal that gets reviewed when the opposing team has a quick counter-attack on which happened in one of the games. Should you play on until that promising counter attack results in a goal or stalls before going back to the original penalty appeal? Opens up a can of worms if the opposing team scores a goal, then its chalked off with a penalty at the other end! A bit like DRS in cricket has lead to more lbw's, VAR is leading to more penalties, but I expect teams over time will modify their strategies to counter it, just like batsmen playing spin bowlers with the bat whilst getting their pads out of the line of the stumps a la Amla countering Swann a while back.
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

1/2

I imagine

Exactly!

One of the few examples of cannabinoids being tested in clinical trials
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

1/2

I imagine

Exactly!

Looking like the 2nd part of the stock market correction is beginning to unfold. We had the first part after the frothy end of January highs where the market was short term overbought. When this plays out through the next few months or so, it will provide a great buying opportunity on US stocks with the rising dollar providing great returns for UK investors:

http://www.pretzelcharts.com/2018/06/spx-update-short-and-sweet.html
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    hunchman said:

The cannabis poll surprised me - I would have thought that the young would be more progressive in their attitude towards it when compared to older voters. I don't have a problem with legalising cannabis - its effectively legal now, how many people have been prosecuted for cannabis use of recent times?

Funny how we're not hearing about the extremely cold weather that is going on in Australia right now, and the energy crisis last week - with a salient warning of where the lunacy of the man made climate change nonsense inspired energy policies lead:

https://www.2gb.com/energy-grid-at-crisis-point-as-power-prices-surge-160-times-the-usual-rate/

Indeed it is de facto legal - (almost?) nobody gets prosecuted for smoking weed. Given that other western jurisdictions have legalised or decriminalised it, it is surely just a matter of time?
    hunchman said:

Looking like the 2nd part of the stock market correction is beginning to unfold. We had the first part after the frothy end of January highs where the market was short term overbought. When this plays out through the next few months or so, it will provide a great buying opportunity on US stocks with the rising dollar providing great returns for UK investors:

Mate, you're a climate change denier, in the face of all reason. That doesn't fill me with confidence about your investment advice.

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

? It’s an ODI.
    Hearing remarkably little in the UK mainstream media about Mutti Merkel and her immigration troubles with the CSU. Doesn't quite fit the remoaner narrative does it?! And that just compounds the divisions in society not reporting on news to your favoured audience when it doesn't fit the carefully constructed narrative. I much prefer to go where the data leads me, without fear or favour to any political grouping.

Strangely yesterday's tragedy of 3 people killed on the tracks at Loughborough Junction got little attention - I'd sometimes get the train from there when living in Herne Hill in my 2nd year at LSE, trains only called there in the rush hour morning and night, and the station had quite an eerie feel about it as there were no train staff there on duty.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Nothing very amazing, but interesting that a referendum in Ulster on unity with Ireland is now close to a toss-up:

I hate to be a pedant. But it is not Ulster but Northern Ireland. The former has 9 counties, 3 of which are in the RoI. Northern Ireland consists of 6 counties.
    Anazina said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

? It’s an ODI.
    It was a (quite funny) joke, I believe. :smile:

Sure, a synthetic CB1 inverse agonist trialled for obesity.
    Not exactly what we’re talking about.

Anazina said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

? It’s an ODI.
    It was a (quite funny) joke, I believe. :smile:
    Ah. I which case I retract!
    edited June 2018
    Charles said:

Charles said:

It was a cannanbinoid antaganist. Gerard’s idea was the “reverse munchies” as an appetite suppressant. Problem was the active crossed the blood brain barrier and fucked people up.

If you are going to approve something for general use it needs to be standardised and tested. You can do that with herbal medicines but it is complex and costly
    That's proof that drug is a bad idea, not that marijuana itself turns people crazy. The main evidence of harm is correlation and mostly centres around children. As nobody is suggesting we sell it to children then there seems to be little argument left.

It is already in general use, the argument is whether the government should legalise it and have some control of it and how old you have to be to buy it and be able to use to profits from it or whether it should be left as an unregulated black market with the profits going to drug dealers who don't mind selling to people under 18.

Edit: Having seen your further comment as I posted before companies going out their way to mess around with something and extract elements of it, such as marijuana can have all kinds of unintended consequences. The reason that isn't widely used as proof is because it isn't an example of marijuana it is an example of that drug.

You can develop deadly poisons from things we use that are relatively harmless, that doesn't mean we should throw these things away, just not do the combination of things to make them deadly.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,911
    Cyclefree said:

I hate to be a pedant. But it is not Ulster but Northern Ireland. The former has 9 counties, 3 of which are in the RoI. Northern Ireland consists of 6 counties.
    According to the UK and RoI 2011 Census data, Ulster has a very slim Catholic majority - very slim!

hunchman said:

Mate, you're a climate change denier, in the face of all reason. That doesn't fill me with confidence about your investment advice.
    Latest unadjusted satellite data shows global temperatures dropped 0.56C in the past 2 years, although no reporting of it in the mainstream media. Lots of cold weather has and is wrecking crops worldwide, look at what has happened in NE Canada and the French vineyards for example, and the latest Australian cold period. Its you who continues to deny all the evidence of a gathering mini ice age which lines up in pattern with the weather pattern of the 17th century mini-ice age and other cold periods in the past in grand solar minimum type conditions.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited June 2018
    Best pictures of Trump ever. Little kids crying for their parents from inside metal cages...cut to a smiling Trump hugging the flag looking smug.

No more Mr Nice Guy!
    The more I listen to Sky News with their exclusive reports from Europe the more I am convinced the EU are feeding them negatives knowing Sky and Faisal Islam will report them diligently and always anti Brexit.

I cannot ever recall Faisal Islam making any criticsm of the EU, Barnier or anyone else in the EU.

I have taken to switching the sound off when he comes on as I could write his comment piece myself
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    edited June 2018
    People need to realise you don’t have to smoke Cannabis... It can be vapourised, it can be eaten and it can be converted into oil and placed under your tongue.

Negative side effects associated with smoking do not apply to all of these.

People also need to realise that different strains do different things. Cannabis with low THC but high CBD will have a different effect to a plant with equal amounts or a plant with high THC (like Skunk).

When you buy from a street dealer, you rarely have choice in what you get.
    Roger said:

Best pictures of Trump ever. Little kids crying for their parents from inside metal cages...cut to a smiling Trump hugging the flag looking smug.

No more Mr Nice Guy!

When was he ever a nice guy

The more I listen to Sky News with their exclusive reports from Europe the more I am convinced the EU are feeding them negatives knowing Sky and Faisal Islam will report them diligently and always anti Brexit.

I cannot ever recall Faisal Islam making any criticsm of the EU, Barnier or anyone else in the EU.

I have taken to switching the sound off when he comes on as I could write his comment piece myself

Other channels are available!

Roger said:

No more Mr Nice Guy!

When was he ever a nice guy
    Politico has a useful factual background primer on the issue:
    https://www.politico.com/interactives/2018/family-separation-at-the-border-explained/
    edited June 2018

Whether or not he’s biased is a question - but journalists tend to be lazy. It might equally be that the EU is just better at PR - or rather that our government is seriously rubbish at it.

(You see a similar thing with US Trump apologists on Newsnight, for example, and it’s hard to think that Newsnight is biased towards Trump...)

But we are entitled to balanced reporting from our main broadcasters. The BBC do seem to be more balanced
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

Latest unadjusted satellite data shows global temperatures dropped 0.56C in the past 2 years, although no reporting of it in the mainstream media. Lots of cold weather has and is wrecking crops worldwide, look at what has happened in NE Canada and the French vineyards for example, and the latest Australian cold period. Its you who continues to deny all the evidence of a gathering mini ice age which lines up in pattern with the weather pattern of the 17th century mini-ice age and other cold periods in the past in grand solar minimum type conditions.
    Now then, shall I listen to the guy who keeps banging on about some Finchley Road (or wherever) conspiracy theory, or should I put more store by what NASA says. Mmmm...

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/global-temperature/

OTOH, I agree with your points about the WC and VAR. :smile:

But we are entitled to balanced reporting from our main broadcasters. The BBC do seem to be more balanced
    I agree, but if you don't think they're balanced you should vote with your feet (well, remote).
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2018
    edit

People need to realise you don’t have to smoke Cannabis... It can be vapourised, it can be eaten and it can be converted into oil and placed under your tongue.

Negative side effects associated with smoking do not apply to all of these.

People also need to realise that different strains do different things. Cannabis with low THC but high CBD will have a different effect to a plant with equal amounts or a plant with high THC (like Skunk).

When you buy from a street dealer, you rarely have choice in what you get.

From what I understand some of the negative effects are (or at least were I think they have started to grasp that one) actually associated with using foil whilst smoking it rather than the marijuana itself

As you point out these kinds of negatives can actually be lessened by legalisation.
    edited June 2018

I agree, but if you don't think they're balanced you should vote with your feet (well, remote).
    Just had the possibility of needing a new knee today and at present walking and my feet are a bit painful. And in Wales there is upto a two year wait, so hey ho, keep taking the pain killers.

But at my age and after a lifetime of playing various sports not really surprising and there are a lot more serious health issues oldies like me have to face

And on subject I have never taken cannabis or any other drug not prescribed

It's a bit premature for the England manager to have tube stations named after him?
    Well Hoddle's got one named after him. It's at the eastern end of the Hammersmith & City line.

Just had the possibility of needing a new knee today and at present walking and my feet are a bit painful. And in Wales there is upto a two year wait, so hey ho, keep taking the pain killers.

But at my age and after a lifetime of playing various sports not really surprising and there are a lot more serious health issues oldies like me have to face
    My brothers MiL is having her hip replacement done private 10K, when would you like to be booked in, big smile on face from customer focused person asking the question?

My brothers MiL is having her hip replacement done private 10K, when would you like to be booked in, big smile on face from customer focused person asking the question?
    Thank you for your suggestion but at present I am going through investigations and tests and will see how it all develops
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

Russia Today? - the antithesis one might say of Sky News's subservience to the EU...!!

But Islam is so extreme that he should be captioned as an EU advocate, rather than just being a presenter or whatever he is officially. His devoted one-sidedness is embarrassing from a professional newsman.

My FiL's knee was done in 6 weeks on the NHS in Somerset last year. He was very well looked after.

But Islam is so extreme that he should be captioned as an EU advocate, rather than just being a presenter or whatever he is officially. His devoted one-sidedness is embarrassing from a professional newsman.
    And he is not unique in Sky - I cannot think of anyone on Sky who is not anti Brexit
    Cyclefree said:

To be real pedantic Donegal extends further north than anywhere in Northern Ireland - so it's not really 'Northern' Ireland.

The six counties is perhaps the most accurate description - or two thirds of Ulster.
    edited June 2018
    brendan16 said:

Russia Today? - the antithesis one might say of Sky News's subservience to the EU...!!
    I stick with the BBC - even though it's become a bit Tory-biased recently with its team of closet Tory policitos. :wink:

And he is not unique in Sky - I cannot think of anyone on Sky who is not anti Brexit
    Rupert Murdoch?

brendan16 said:

I stick with the BBC - even though it's become a bit Tory-biased recently with its team of closet Tory policitos. :wink:
    Who are they Ben

My FiL's knee was done in 6 weeks on the NHS in Somerset last year. He was very well looked after.
    Good on Jeremy Hunt and the English NHS but this is labour Wales NHS and they are a disaster
    Y

brendan16 said:

Who are they Ben
    All those who aren't pro-Corbyn, obviously

Rupert Murdoch?
    On Sky Ben
    Anyway - time to bid everyone a pleasant nights rest

Good night
    Cyclefree said:
    Good to hear the NHS boss is backing legalisation, given the addiction risk to kids in the current system why would anyone want drug dealers continuing to decide who is old enough to buy marijuana?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

I thought you'd had an epiphany on your last cruise and wanted us to Remain after all?
    edited June 2018

I presume the text in the second sentence does not represent the position of our Home Secretary in terms of the words mitigating and damage.

Why couldn't Guy the V just say 'we had a productive meeting on EU and UK citizens rights post Brexit?'

I thought you'd had an epiphany on your last cruise and wanted us to Remain after all?
    No I want the vote to be honoured - for better or worse
This discussion has been closed.