Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Losing today’s Brexit vote could prove fatal for Mrs. May’s pr

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    Foxy said:

Hmm. This Gosport Memorial Hospital report is pretty bad. 456 dead.

More than a little local difficulty:

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1009384238255427584?s=19

Did no-one notice? Did anyone blow the whistle or raise concerns? Were they initially ignored?

I’m willing to guess the answers: yes, yes and yes.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

Pulpstar said:

Norm said:

I actually think if May loses this vote, she'll resign.

Which could be the reason Corbyn is putting heavy pressure on Lab leavers not to support the gov't.
    I think there'll only be two Labour rebels, Hoey and Field. Mann, Flint et al will vote on the basis of parliamentary sovereignty - and then probably vote with the Gov't if the 'meaningful vote' actually takes place.
    Mann is furious against Grieve and will clearly support the government today - just been on Sky news
    I'd expect the same number of Labour rebels (plus Kelvin Hopkins) as last week.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1009384238255427584?s=19

The report found there was a "disregard for human life" of a large number of patients from 1989 and 2000. Dr Jane Barton was responsible for prescribing painkillers over 12 years.

No criminal charges against anyone at present, so be careful.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5864127/Families-wait-answers-major-inquiry-hundreds-hospital-painkiller-deaths.html

Unless there has been an oversight, Mail doesn't normally accept comments on sub judice stuff ?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

MJW said:

The whole situation is completely mad. The clock is ticking, we should be in intensive negotiations with the EU. In fact we should have already largely completed negotiations. Instead we are arguing vehemently with ourselves about hypothetical scenarios and options which don't exist. Meanwhile the EU seems equally out with the fairies.

One can only hope that there is some real discussion going on behind the scenes, and that some last-minute fudge will be created. But it's now too late for business, and especially for the City, which is having to assume no deal and is moving jobs accordingly. Unnecessary damage to our economy (and indeed the EU27's) is now inevitable - and the continuity Remainers and the Lords are at least as much to blame as the headbanging wing of the Brexiteer contingent.

Edit: Having said that, I agree with those who say the government will win this particular vote. However, the guerrilla attacks will no doubt continue.

A lot of these problems can be put down to May's initial misjudgements in her 2016 conference speech. In it she judged her main task was to reassure the headbanging wing of the Brexiteers - as a remain PM elected in effect by default. However, the opposite was true - it was her moment to challenge their delusions and make it clear that it would be a difficult technical task. It was also a moment to reassure remainers - who at the time largely reluctantly accepted Brexit would happen in some form - but hardened their attitudes after months of 'Brexit means Brexit' and May effectively arguing that it would be done on the headbangers' terms rather than attempting unity. It also set up a totally unrealistic negotiating position whereby she's promised her party things that the EU were never going to agree to - thus setting up the adversarial negotiations that have resulted in climb downs or fudges since. It was the one point she had a largely open book with Brexit to set out something that would've annoyed the ultras on either side but which was achievable and united those on either side who wanted to be pragmatic about the whole thing. Instead, all sides have become more entrenched as they increasingly see it as a zero sum game rather than a technical project everyone has a stake in and can contribute to.
    Spot on
    Agreed. An excellent summary.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Norm said:

I actually think if May loses this vote, she'll resign.

Which could be the reason Corbyn is putting heavy pressure on Lab leavers not to support the gov't.
    I think there'll only be two Labour rebels, Hoey and Field. Mann, Flint et al will vote on the basis of parliamentary sovereignty - and then probably vote with the Gov't if the 'meaningful vote' actually takes place.
    Mann is furious against Grieve and will clearly support the government today - just been on Sky news
    I'd expect the same number of Labour rebels (plus Kelvin Hopkins) as last week.
    Is he your constituency MP ?
    You could send him an email mentioning your good work for Labour leave :) !
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited June 2018
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Corbyn is very like May: the ability to hang on and on and defy all attempts to oust him. There is more to leadership than that, as we are seeing with Mrs May.

???

I was thinking of his early years as leader when he faced votes of no confidence from the PLP and Shadow Cabinet resignations (though some more junior resignations have happened in recent weeks) which would likely have felled a different leader.

He does have the advantage over May of having defeated his rivals twice and of having outperformed expectations at the GE. I disagree with @Dura_Ace and @Benpointer on one point: he may be dim and lazy but he is cunning and so I think his capacity to harm is considerably greater than they suppose and the PLP’s ability to restrain him will be largely non-existent. The PLP couldn’t take the skin off a rice pudding.
    I find that some who are anti Corbyn are foolishly - in my view - dismissive of him and what he has achieved.

By accident or design, he has managed capture and re-energise one of the two big parties. He managed to connect with young people in a way that no-one has since Blair. His performance in 2017 exceeded expectations. He was actually good on the stump. Refreshingly direct and clear.

I disagree with him on many things. Ironically, I think he resembles Blair in many ways. He certainly has made all the same mistakes as Blair in his party management. If he could find a way to motivate the other tribes of the left he could well win.

But however much you disagree with him, he should not be dismissed. He has led Labour to a new place. No doubt about that.

---

May on the other hand, doesn't offer much on leadership. For me she is a poor man's late Gordon Brown. It's all about duty, resilience and tactical party management. The Tories are where they were two years ago, but weaker.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,526

Foxy said:

twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1009384238255427584?s=19

The report found there was a "disregard for human life" of a large number of patients from 1989 and 2000. Dr Jane Barton was responsible for prescribing painkillers over 12 years.

How does this compare with the US approach to prescribing opioids?
    Certainly gross over prescribing of opiods has contributed to the overdose death rate in America (now higher than either gun or motor vehicle deaths).

Mostly in the US it seems to be voluntary rather than involuntary overconsumption. There has been quite a busy secondary market where pensioners get opiod prescriptions filled for pain, then sell them on to younger addicts to supplement pensions.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Are the SNP going to manage to make it through PMQs today without throwing another hissy fit?
  • Options

Are the SNP going to manage to make it through PMQs today without throwing another hissy fit?

Is the Heathrow vote today ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130
    I am working at home today so put PMQs on. Beginning to wish I hadn't bothered. Both sides truly pathetic.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,893

It's a fair question; I have many reasons. To list a few...

The Labour manifesto was much better than I expected; I rate their policies (so does TMay, apparently as she has started adopting them.) The Tories in contrast are looking like a government that has been in power for 18 years, never mind 8 years; they are bereft of ideas to move the country forward.

The current government is being dictated to by the extreme eurosceptic ERG cabal of 60-70 MPs who are hell-bent on hard Brexit. No way was (or is) there a majority in the country for hard Brexit. If Labour were in power ERG would become just another pressure group, rather than a real danger to the country.

Corbyn is not a dicator, complete the opposite (which is part of his problem) - he will need the support of the PLP which will moderate/stop some of the more extreme Momentum wishes.

I could go on...

"Corbyn is not a dicator"

Putin was not a dictator. Erdogan was not a dictator. el-Sisi was not a dictator. Chavez was not a dictator. Etc, etc.

You just need to look at the regimes Corbyn supports - Venezuela being an example - and the cultist midset of his 'supporters' who will excuse him anything, to see the direction a Corbynite government with a stonking majority might go.

The Economist had an interesting article recently about dictatrors:
    https://www.economist.com/leaders/2018/06/16/lessons-from-the-rise-of-strongmen-in-weak-states

Summing up:
    The four stages to dismantling a democracy:
    1) First comes a genuine popular grievance with the status quo and, often, with the liberal elites who are in charge.
    2) would-be strongmen identify enemies for angry voters to blame.
    3) having won power by exploiting fear or discontent, strongmen chisel away at a free press, an impartial justice system and other institutions that form the “liberal” part of liberal democracy
    4) in stage four, the erosion of liberal institutions leads to the death of democracy in all but name.

Corbyn might not be that strongman, but someone taking over from him well might be.

Paranoia? Perhaps. But I don't like the warning signs. The cultists' fondness of Leveson 2 being an example.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

BBC vows to increase diversity of senior management by 2020

Corporation will also adopt US-style ‘Rooney rule’ to ensure BAME candidates on shortlists

The BBC has said that by 2020 it wants half of its workforce to be women, 8% disabled people, 8% lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender people, and 15% to be from a BAME background.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jun/20/bbc-vows-to-increase-diversity-of-senior-management-by-2020

Well, that reflects the make-up of Devon......
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Corbyn is very like May: the ability to hang on and on and defy all attempts to oust him. There is more to leadership than that, as we are seeing with Mrs May.

???

I was thinking of his early years as leader when he faced votes of no confidence from the PLP and Shadow Cabinet resignations (though some more junior resignations have happened in recent weeks) which would likely have felled a different leader.

He does have the advantage over May of having defeated his rivals twice and of having outperformed expectations at the GE. I disagree with @Dura_Ace and @Benpointer on one point: he may be dim and lazy but he is cunning and so I think his capacity to harm is considerably greater than they suppose and the PLP’s ability to restrain him will be largely non-existent. The PLP couldn’t take the skin off a rice pudding.
    I find that some who are anti Corbyn are foolishly - in my view - dismissive of him and what he has achieved.

By accident or design, he has managed capture and re-energise one of the two big parties. He managed to connect with young people in a way that no-one has since Blair. His performance in 2017 exceeded expectations. He was actually good on the stump. Refreshingly direct and clear.

I disagree with him on many things. Ironically, I think he resembles Blair in many ways. He certainly has made all the same mistakes as Blair in his party management. If he could find a way to motivate the other tribes of the left he could well win.

But however much you disagree with him, he should not be dismissed. He has led Labour to a new place. No doubt about that.

---

May on the other hand, doesn't offer much on leadership. For me she is a poor man's late Gordon Brown. It's all about duty, resilience and tactical party management.

I don’t dismiss him. I wrote a thread header comparing him to Thatcher. It is two of his supporters on here who described him in insulting terms. I think he has, if he becomes PM, the capacity to make changes to Britain which I think will be harmful. I hope I am proved wrong - either because he does not become PM or because, if he does, he does not make the sorts of harmful changes I fear.

I do not rate Mrs May at all. Her handling of Brexit has been woeful and she has utterly failed to follow through on what seemed like quite a good speech when she first became PM.
  • Options

The Labour manifesto was much better than I expected; I rate their policies (so does TMay, apparently as she has started adopting them.) The Tories in contrast are looking like a government that has been in power for 18 years, never mind 8 years; they are bereft of ideas to move the country forward.

The current government is being dictated to by the extreme eurosceptic ERG cabal of 60-70 MPs who are hell-bent on hard Brexit. No way was (or is) there a majority in the country for hard Brexit. If Labour were in power ERG would become just another pressure group, rather than a real danger to the country.

Corbyn is not a dicator, complete the opposite (which is part of his problem) - he will need the support of the PLP which will moderate/stop some of the more extreme Momentum wishes.

I could go on...

Putin was not a dictator. Erdogan was not a dictator. el-Sisi was not a dictator. Chavez was not a dictator. Etc, etc.

You just need to look at the regimes Corbyn supports - Venezuela being an example - and the cultist midset of his 'supporters' who will excuse him anything, to see the direction a Corbynite government with a stonking majority might go.

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2018/06/16/lessons-from-the-rise-of-strongmen-in-weak-states

Summing up:
    1) First comes a genuine popular grievance with the status quo and, often, with the liberal elites who are in charge.
    3) having won power by exploiting fear or discontent, strongmen chisel away at a free press, an impartial justice system and other institutions that form the “liberal” part of liberal democracy
    4) in stage four, the erosion of liberal institutions leads to the death of democracy in all but name.

Corbyn might not be that strongman, but someone taking over from him well might be.

Paranoia? Perhaps. But I don't like the warning signs. The cultists' fondness of Leveson 2 being an example.
    Yup. Definitely, paranoia.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1009384238255427584?s=19

Did no-one notice? Did anyone blow the whistle or raise concerns? Were they initially ignored?

I’m willing to guess the answers: yes, yes and yes.
    The investigation has been ongoing for at least 15 years. The Commission for Health Improvement published its report on opiate overprescribing There in July 2002. The timeline is here:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/06/20/gosport-hospital-inquiry-families-get-answers-hundreds-painkiller/

• Options
    I thought Tunsia had taken the Irish under Jack Charlton approach to international football, but apparently 17 of Morocco's 23-man squad weren't born in Morocco.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    Pulpstar said:

Is the Heathrow vote today ?
    I think it is tomorrow
  • Options
    So now we have that those totally unsustainable and unfunded spending on the NHS is not enough. And Wales. Too tedious for words.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

???

---

May on the other hand, doesn't offer much on leadership. For me she is a poor man's late Gordon Brown. It's all about duty, resilience and tactical party management.

I don’t dismiss him. I wrote a thread header comparing him to Thatcher. It is two of his supporters on here who described him in insulting terms. I think he has, if he becomes PM, the capacity to make changes to Britain which I think will be harmful. I hope I am proved wrong - either because he does not become PM or because, if he does, he does not make the sorts of harmful changes I fear.

I do not rate Mrs May at all. Her handling of Brexit has been woeful and she has utterly failed to follow through on what seemed like quite a good speech when she first became PM.
    Doesn't it annoy you when people fail to engage with Corbyn? You get all the IRA, Hamas stuff and they say people could never vote for him - forgetting that he got over 40% of the vote last time.

People need to take him seriously.
  • Options

I thought Tunsia had taken the Irish under Jack Charlton approach to international football, but apparently 17 of Morocco's 23-man squad weren't born in Morocco.

I believe 5/23 of the Swiss team were eligible to play for Kosovo. Asylum seekers done good.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Foxy said:

I believe 5/23 of the Swiss team were eligible to play for Kosovo. Asylum seekers done good.
    That is a slightly different situation, in that didn't they all arrive in Switzerland as kids whose family had fled the war?

Tunsia and Morrocco have a policy (like Ireland did) of basically going out into the French and Dutch leagues and finding players who could qualify through family linkage. Having 17 of a 23 man squad seems quite ridiculous level.

Obviously England have done it in the past with cricket and rugby and the gulf states "import" a lot of athletes.

It just seems the rules for world sport are a bit of a joke. I don't really see a problem of moving as a kid to a different country, growing up there and then representing them, but when you get this situation where they have never lived there, often played for different international teams beforehand and then swap (with the rules being this rather silly "not in a competitive match, but friendlies are ok).
  • Options
    Blackford raises Trump. Quite right too.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    DavidL said:

I am working at home today so put PMQs on. Beginning to wish I hadn't bothered. Both sides truly pathetic.

Agreed , it was dire.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Sounds like Corbyn just lost on the NHS - he really should have gone on Trump, especially on World Refugees Day.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

Agreed , it was dire.
    It was torrid - just dreadful from both sides.

The Country deserves better, much better
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    edited June 2018

"Doesn't it annoy you when people fail to engage with Corbyn? You get all the IRA, Hamas stuff and they say people could never vote for him - forgetting that he got over 40% of the vote last time.

People need to take him seriously".

I think people do take him seriously. It is the unreconstructed Blairites and ultra remainers who don't. Look at the contempt shown towards him by the likes of Alastair Campbell or Blairite jouunalists like Rachel Sylvester and Philip Collins in the Times.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Jonathan said:

I could go on...

Summing up:

Yes , he has certainly got that persistent irrational feeling..
  • Options

Foxy said:

That is a slightly different situation, in that didn't they all arrive in Switzerland as kids whose family had fled the war?

Tunsia and Morrocco have a policy (like Ireland did) of basically going out into the French and Dutch leagues and finding players who could qualify through family linkage. Having 17 of a 23 man squad seems quite ridiculous level.

Obviously England have done it in the past with cricket and rugby and the gulf states "import" a lot of athletes.

It just seems the rules for world sport are a bit of a joke. I don't really see a problem of moving as a kid to a different country, growing up there and then representing them, but when you get this situation where they have never lived there, often played for different international teams beforehand and then swap (with the rules being this rather silly "not in a competitive match, but friendlies are ok).
    Wes Morgan has Captained the Jamaica team, despite being born in Nottingham and living his whole life in the East Midlands.

Zola Budd or Kevin Pietersen anyone?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

???

---

May on the other hand, doesn't offer much on leadership. For me she is a poor man's late Gordon Brown. It's all about duty, resilience and tactical party management. The Tories are where they were two years ago, but weaker.
    It's because I don't underrate him, that I think he could achieve a great deal of harm, as Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

---

Doesn't it annoy you when people fail to engage with Corbyn? You get all the IRA, Hamas stuff and they say people could never vote for him - forgetting that he got over 40% of the vote last time.

People need to take him seriously.
    Yes it does annoy me. I think he is underestimated. I do not support him but I do not underestimate him. I think that he would be a very bad PM and that many (though not all) the changes he is likely to or wants to make will be bad for Britain.

But I am a bit baffled that people will vote for him while not rating him. And there is a danger there for him, of course: that his support is shallow and some of those voting for him will turn against him when he does something they don’t like. Again, much as with May.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Half an hour in to PMQ's and still no questions about today's vote.

Theresa's won it hasn't she?
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Wes Morgan has Captained the Jamaica team, despite being born in Nottingham and living his whole life in the East Midlands.

Zola Budd or Kevin Pietersen anyone?
    Well at this WC, Egypt have a lad from Wolverhampton, whose whole career has been in England and who currently plays for Wigan.

Yes, as I said, it isn't limited to any one nation. I was just saying that the rules are nonsense. Re cricket, Jofra Archer, one of the brigtest stars in T20 game is willing to put his international career on hold for 7 years just to play for England.

The athletics seems to be the biggest joke, loads have changed nation because they have been offered a better funding package.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    GIN1138 said:

Doubt anyone will raise it - we will see the result at about 3.45 today
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Yes.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I could go on...

Summing up:

Really? Okay (and try replying with more than three words). Tell me why Corbyn finds Venezuela such an excellent place, and one which he wanted us to emulate. Why he finds it so hard to blame Russia when they attack us? Why he wants Leveson 2 to go ahead to muzzle the free press, etc, etc.

Corbyn and his cultists are about control. As we are seeing around the world, democracy is a fragile thing, and it needs protecting. I'm far from sure Corbyn is interested in that.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

I could go on...

Summing up:

Yes , he has certainly got that persistent irrational feeling..
    If that's the case, then put my mind at rest. For instance, do you not finding the support Corbynm and his allies (e.g. Milne, Williamson, McDonnell) for Chavez and/or Maduro a little concerning?

Do you not feel the Leveson 2 proposals might be stamping a little too much on vital press freedoms?

I could go on, but it'd be interesting to see your responses.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Corporation will also adopt US-style ‘Rooney rule’ to ensure BAME candidates on shortlists

The BBC has said that by 2020 it wants half of its workforce to be women, 8% disabled people, 8% lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender people, and 15% to be from a BAME background.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jun/20/bbc-vows-to-increase-diversity-of-senior-management-by-2020

I’m not sure why LGBT people should get double their share of the population. Surely there’s already overepresentation in the media, not to mention politics?

• Options
    edited June 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

I’m not sure why LGBT people should get double their share of the population. Surely there’s already overepresentation in the media, not to mention politics?

Well there may be an opening for such an individual as host of the Apprentice....
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    RoyalBlue said:

Is 8% double their share? I thought estimates were between 5 and 10%
  • Options
    Norman Lamb gives a good question about Gosport War Memorial hospital. Another shocking example of the NHS trying to hide a serious scandal.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Bombshell from Lisa Nandy at PMQs. She has been leaked emails between officials at the Department for Transport which admit key northern routes are ‘not really valued’:

https://order-order.com/2018/06/20/read-leaked-emails-show-dft-officials-lied-northern-rail/
  • Options
    Btw, 12.51 and still going? This is ridiculous.
  • Options

Bombshell from Lisa Nandy at PMQs. She has been leaked emails between officials at the Department for Transport which admit key northern routes are ‘not really valued’:

https://order-order.com/2018/06/20/read-leaked-emails-show-dft-officials-lied-northern-rail/

It was a good question. Answers came there none (as usual).
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

???

---

It's because I don't underrate him, that I think he could achieve a great deal of harm, as Prime Minister.
    I fear McDonnell even more.

I think he’d ruin my family, and millions of others like it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Norman Lamb gives a good question about Gosport War Memorial hospital. Another shocking example of the NHS trying to hide a serious scandal.

Shussh! You're damaging the reputation of the NHS!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    Guardian snap verdict:

Corbyn clearly had the best of the argument. His questions weren’t particularly flash, but they were were pertinent and reasonable, and May didn’t even begin to answer them. Where will all the money for the NHS come from? What taxes will go up? Will there be extra borrowing? These are proper questions (not loaded PMQs jibes, which the PM can ignore with some justification) and May’s perfectly articulate flannel could not really hide the fact that Corbyn had a point. He is outscoring May on fiscal prudence. The Tories ought to be worried ....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    edited June 2018
    DavidL said:

Though to be fair it was not just the NHS, the doctor in question had a brother who was an Oxford medicine professor and was well known in Gosport society and a friend of local Tory MP (now retired) Sir Peter Viggars
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

???

---

Irrational fear.

What on earth do you fear.
  • Options
    Looks like I need a trip to Peru...

https://www.theworlds50best.com/list/1-50-winners
  • Options

Guardian snap verdict:

Corbyn clearly had the best of the argument. His questions weren’t particularly flash, but they were were pertinent and reasonable, and May didn’t even begin to answer them. Where will all the money for the NHS come from? What taxes will go up? Will there be extra borrowing? These are proper questions (not loaded PMQs jibes, which the PM can ignore with some justification) and May’s perfectly articulate flannel could not really hide the fact that Corbyn had a point. He is outscoring May on fiscal prudence. The Tories ought to be worried ....

May has already said taxes will have to go up for the NHS, probably income tax and/or NI so beyond debating points there is no difference between the parties on that
  • Options
    Oh no another BREXIT compromise on the way according to LK
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,020

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

???

---

If you had a binary choice between cancelling Brexit and a majority Corbyn/McDonnell government, which would you go for?
  • Options

The first of those is a reasonable comment IMO (though context might change that). The second seems just to be a statement of reality.

The third, though is a bit of a wow comment. As ever, never say anything in an email that might embarrass you if it gets out...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/Laura_K_Hughes/status/1009402643205251072

And that sums up the core problem with the 27 state EU in its current form. It is too slow / rigid to be able to adapt with the rapidly changing modern world.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

???

---

Irrational fear.

The man’s a Marxist. Regimes inspired by Marx killed 100 million of their own people, and made life a misery for the rest. McDonnell is proud not to accept donations from ‘bourgeois organisations’.

He is extremely dangerous.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

What does BAME even mean? I understand the black bit. But what about someone who is mixed race? How are they classed? Does minority ethnic include jews and irish people and chinese? What about poles living in Britain? How can the BBC know about sexuality? Is it even legal to ask? And what of people who tell them that their private life is their own business? Will it start making redundant or sacking those who are in an over-represented category? Why aren’t religions included? What about age discrimination? Why no quota for the over 50’s woman?

We really need a South African to guide us through this maze and tell us into what category we fall or should aim for.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

And that sums up the core problem with the 27 state EU in its current form. It is too slow / rigid to be able to adapt with the rapidly changing modern world.
    That’s constitutional government for you. The core of your argument is not a critique of the EU but of constitutional democracy.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Scott_P said:

That’s constitutional government for you. The core of your argument is not a critique of the EU but of constitutional democracy.
    No it isn't, the problem is having both the EU parliament and then 27 very different nations, with very different economies and thus very different priorities, all having to process things.

6 similar nations is much more manageable.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Though to be fair it was not just the NHS, the doctor in question had a brother who was an Oxford medicine professor and was well known in Gosport society and a friend of local Tory MP (now retired) Sir Peter Viggars
    When you are talking about 456 "shortened lives" and another 200 potential victims where the paperwork is missing you are not talking about a single rogue doctor. You are talking about a systemic approach which took a view on the value of these sick and elderly lives.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Only if we do not get the outline if the agreement and any associate status by the autumn
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

???

---

If you had a binary choice between cancelling Brexit and a majority Corbyn/McDonnell government, which would you go for?
    51% of voters think a Corbyn government would be a change for the worse but only 41% think Brexit will be a change for the worse according to the Ashcroft poll yesterday

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2018/06/brexit-the-border-and-the-union/#more-15616
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Only if we do not get the outline if the agreement and any associate status by the autumn
    You believe we will? :lol:
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

When you are talking about 456 "shortened lives" and another 200 potential victims where the paperwork is missing you are not talking about a single rogue doctor. You are talking about a systemic approach which took a view on the value of these sick and elderly lives.
    The whole Gosport Trust needs reform it seems agreed
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/shadsy/status/1009407561265745921

I hope he laid that off with Ronaldo to score multiple goals...cos Portugal are going to take the Morrocan French Foreign legion team to the cleaners.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    To be fair to David Davis, he's only been working part-time on Brexit.
    He probably assumed whoever took over would make a bit more of an effort, 5 days a week 9-5 etc. We ought to give him until 2020 really...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    4 minutes. Not that shrewd then.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

???

---

Irrational fear.

The man’s a Marxist. Regimes inspired by Marx killed 100 million of their own people, and made life a misery for the rest. McDonnell is proud not to accept donations from ‘bourgeois organisations’.

He is extremely dangerous.
    Who do you think Jezza is going to kill

Would have thought the War Criminal with Iraq the Tories Austerity have more Blood on their hands than any previous Government.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

The obvious question to ask is if it could and did happen in Gosport, can we be certain that something similar is not happening in other trusts?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

For Central? No need. The chef's expanded to London, just round the corner from SeanT iirc.
    https://www.limalondongroup.com/fitzrovia/about
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

The obvious question to ask is if it could and did happen in Gosport, can we be certain that something similar is not happening in other trusts?
    Mid Staffs, Morecambe Bay? Of course statistically it is likely there have been a few such instances
  • Options
    Limpet like ! - Meeks' tips to lay her going were good ones I think. Quite clear May is making sure she won't lose the vote today, hopefully this post will age better than Shadsy's tweet.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

For Central? No need. The chef's expanded to London, just round the corner from SeanT iirc.
    https://www.limalondongroup.com/fitzrovia/about
    I didn't know that, however I somehow can't imagine the Ceviche is quite the same. I have been to the "Ceviche" restaurant in London and it just isn't the same as having it in the Americas.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,244
    Cyclefree said:

RoyalBlue said:

What does BAME even mean? I understand the black bit. But what about someone who is mixed race? How are they classed? Does minority ethnic include jews and irish people and chinese? What about poles living in Britain? How can the BBC know about sexuality? Is it even legal to ask? And what of people who tell them that their private life is their own business? Will it start making redundant or sacking those who are in an over-represented category? Why aren’t religions included? What about age discrimination? Why no quota for the over 50’s woman?

We really need a South African to guide us through this maze and tell us into what category we fall or should aim for.
    Maybe get each grouping to go to stand in different corner of the room. That should make it easier to distinguish amongst them.
  • Options
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,289
    Pulpstar said:
    You can't trust lyin' Theresa.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    You can't trust lyin' Theresa.
    Barnacle Theresa.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    tlg86 said:
    General pairing was off, but kept for those seriously ill/pregnant and ministers attending overseas meetings.
  • Options
    VAR.

What is is good for?

Absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    Swedish Democrats, who led a recent Swedish poll for September's Swedish general election, call for a Swexit EU referendum in Sweden

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1009342095927234561
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,244

VAR.

What is is good for?

Absolutely nothing.

Interesting for anyone betting live on the WC (who is not in Russia at the game) - difficult to know which is the live feed, given the multiplicity of channel deliveries.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Pulpstar said:
    Imagine Soubry and Clarke's baby? Would they call it Brussels?

Has anyone ever gone into labour in the voting lobbies?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Scott_P said:
    Aah poor Jonathan Reynolds - obviously doesn't remember the halycon days of 1978
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

???

---

And whose power is it in to offer that choice ?

No one's.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

tlg86 said:
    General pairing was off, but kept for those seriously ill/pregnant and ministers attending overseas meetings.
    I see. Has that idiot from Sheffield Hallam been voting recently?
  • Options
    Looking at the way the Government are playing silly buggers with the shared amendment, refusing to pair, and that written minsterial statement, I really hope they lose by exactly 1 vote.

That way, it's all blamed on them ducking the vote from the previous week, when the Lewisham East MP wasn't there. They've trampled so much on parliamentary procedures and their own promises, there deserves to be some real comeback.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Pulpstar said:
    Imagine Soubry and Clarke's baby? Would they call it Brussels?

Has anyone ever gone into labour in the voting lobbies?
    Jo Swinson is basically due....
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    The pseudo dramas over these parliamentary votes is utterly tiresome. The government will 'win', there is no doubt.

I actually agree with @Mortimer on this – the chance of a successful rebellion is always over ramped by political nerds and commentators who have nothing better to do. Instead of tweeting about chief whips' thumbs, perhaps Laura K would care to put a number on her prediction?

Lots of heat, little light – and never any real drama.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Mid Staffs, Morecambe Bay? Of course statistically it is likely there have been a few such instances
    Gosport seems different. Those others were neglect, but this seems specific to excessive opiod prescribing, rather than overall care.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    tpfkar said:

I really hope they lose by exactly 1 vote.

52% to 48% would have a nice symmetry to it...
This discussion has been closed.