Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Losing today’s Brexit vote could prove fatal for Mrs. May’s pr

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Anazina said:

The pseudo dramas over these parliamentary votes is utterly tiresome. The government will 'win', there is no doubt.

I actually agree with @Mortimer on this – the chance of a successful rebellion is always over ramped by political nerds and commentators who have nothing better to do. Instead of tweeting about chief whips' thumbs, perhaps Laura K would care to put a number on her prediction?

Lots of heat, little light – and never any real drama.

Don't be daft, this is real drama. It's also democracy in action. Important not to disregard it.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Cyclefree said:

Miss Cyclefree, for some, 'diversity' trumps competence. There's been some furore over comments Shriver made regarding Penguin's drive for diversity, including Shriver being axed from a judging panel.

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1008363778474496005

On a more minor note, last year I was attacked somewhat on Twitter for my apparently odious claim that books should be judged on quality, not the demographics of the author (but I would say that, being an evil white man...).

Indeed, we risk becoming as a society quite as obsessed with minute gradations of skin colour and other irrelevant and unchangeable characteristics as some historically evil and unpleasant regimes. It is not an improvement.
    Quite. I get the idea on ingrained prejudices and,barriers which may not be obvious but still need addressing, but there seems a trend toward hyper awareness and sensitivity on race and other identifiers, making us focus on them more, not less, as time goes on.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,545
    Norm said:

Scott_P said:
    Aah poor Jonathan Reynolds - obviously doesn't remember the halycon days of 1978
    Social attitudes to pregnancy and illness were rather different in 1978! And parliament was not televised.
  • ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    tpfkar said:

Looking at the way the Government are playing silly buggers with the shared amendment, refusing to pair, and that written minsterial statement, I really hope they lose by exactly 1 vote.

That way, it's all blamed on them ducking the vote from the previous week, when the Lewisham East MP wasn't there. They've trampled so much on parliamentary procedures and their own promises, there deserves to be some real comeback.

The trampling on parliamentary procedures entails the rebels arguing parliament should usurp executive powers from the executive and the Lords overruling the Commons on a manifesto commitment. These are people more loyal to the EU than the British constitution.

No surprise when some of them are part of the French republican peerage.
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

The pseudo dramas over these parliamentary votes is utterly tiresome. The government will 'win', there is no doubt.

I actually agree with @Mortimer on this – the chance of a successful rebellion is always over ramped by political nerds and commentators who have nothing better to do. Instead of tweeting about chief whips' thumbs, perhaps Laura K would care to put a number on her prediction?

Don't be daft, this is real drama. It's also democracy in action. Important not to disregard it.
    Nope. Straightforward win for the government, thanks to so-called Labour MPs propping up the government. The Labour Leavers are a rum bunch.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited June 2018
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    General pairing was off, but kept for those seriously ill/pregnant and ministers attending overseas meetings.
    I see. Has that idiot from Sheffield Hallam been voting recently?
    Don't think so.

It is just like having a member of Sinn Fein representing Sheffield Hallam.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    General pairing was off, but kept for those seriously ill/pregnant and ministers attending overseas meetings.
    It appears so:
    http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/mp.php?mpn=Jared_O'Mara&mpc=Sheffield,_Hallam&house=commons&display=everyvote#divisions
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

Looking at the way the Government are playing silly buggers with the shared amendment, refusing to pair, and that written minsterial statement, I really hope they lose by exactly 1 vote.

That way, it's all blamed on them ducking the vote from the previous week, when the Lewisham East MP wasn't there. They've trampled so much on parliamentary procedures and their own promises, there deserves to be some real comeback.

The trampling on parliamentary procedures entails the rebels arguing parliament should usurp executive powers from the executive and the Lords overruling the Commons on a manifesto commitment. These are people more loyal to the EU than the British constitution.

I think you've undermined your first sentence with the last two. The Lords might be overreaching, and Grieve was disingenuous about the effect of his amendment, and the Gov have been up to tricks. All are using parliamentary shenanigans. There's no need to bring up loyalty or heritage
    Anazina said:

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

Nope. Straightforward win for the government, thanks to so-called Labour MPs propping up the government. The Labour Leavers are a rum bunch.
    This is how things work here. Change comes not from speeches and soundbites, but from lots of messy compromises, little steps and weird bedfellows.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    He did last week.
    Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

Priceless.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    GIN1138 said:

Half an hour in to PMQ's and still no questions about today's vote.

Theresa's won it hasn't she?

It certainly looks that way. In asking for the power to reverse the public vote, Grieve showed his true colours and his true agenda. He is a repulsive Brussels apologist who disgraces our party and our country.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,702

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    Don't think so.

He has

Its not
    Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

I bet you got your knickers in a twist when Lord Sugar disgracefully mentioned Gisela Stuart's background in the run up to the referendum?

Aren't you part Iranian? Are we sure your support for Leave is to ensure the little great Satan is divided by Brexit.
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

It certainly looks that way. In asking for the power to reverse the public vote, Grieve showed his true colours and his true agenda. He is a repulsive Brussels apologist who disgraces our party and our country.
    LOL
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,835

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    Don't think so.

I wonder if Shaffaq Mohammed might be the man to defeat him in 2022 ?

http://democracy.sheffield.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=181

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    Don't think so.

He has

Its not
    He's still not made his maiden speech, just like Sinn Fein MPs.

No wonder Jez likes him.
    Anazina said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

LOL
    Before long, Grieve will try and get Barnier or Junker to become PM!
  • OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    RoyalBlue said:

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Corbyn is very like May: the ability to hang on and on and defy all attempts to oust him. There is more to leadership than that, as we are seeing with Mrs May.

???

I was thinking of his early years as leader when he faced votes of no confidence from the PLP and Shadow Cabinet resignations (though some more junior resignations have happened in recent weeks) which would likely have felled a different leader.

But however much you disagree with him, he should not be dismissed. He has led Labour to a new place. No doubt about that.

---

May on the other hand, doesn't offer much on leadership. For me she is a poor man's late Gordon Brown. It's all about duty, resilience and tactical party management. The Tories are where they were two years ago, but weaker.
    It's because I don't underrate him, that I think he could achieve a great deal of harm, as Prime Minister.
    I fear McDonnell even more.

I think he’d ruin my family, and millions of others like it.
    Irrational fear.

What on earth do you fear.
    The man’s a Marxist. Regimes inspired by Marx killed 100 million of their own people, and made life a misery for the rest. McDonnell is proud not to accept donations from ‘bourgeois organisations’.

He is extremely dangerous.
    So was Jeshua ben Marium, crucified, and look how many people killed and died for him, but then the Son of God and his followers were guaranteed to have their sins forgiven. Then the Sainted Tony with his pal GW Bush (Supported by Cameron and many in the Tories (and who can forget Libya and Syria)) with the blood of millions on their hands from Iraq and Afghanistan. Once you manage to clean the dust from your knees, you might realise how weak and daft you sound.
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    Don't think so.

If I were the Sheffield Lib Dems I'm be working 24/7 to get Magid Magid to defect and make him the candidate for Hallam.

Lib Dem gain nailed on.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

No it's arcane debating about procedural matters which may or may not be required in a few months based on certain hypothetical scenarios. Do even the proposers of the amendments - let alone most of those voting on them - know what they would mean in practice?

When is a meaningful vote meaningful?

It must look very odd to voters.
    brendan16 said:

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

No it's arcane debating about procedural matters which may or may not be required in a few months based on certain hypothetical scenarios. Do even the proposers of the amendments - let alone most of those voting on them - know what they would mean in practice?

When is a meaningful vote meaningful?

It must look very odd to voters.
    Just because it looks odd to voters (all of Westminster is arcane and an anachronism) doesn't mean that it isn't important.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Yo Max!! I see it is once more Mojito-time at Max Towers!!

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

I bet you got your knickers in a twist when Lord Sugar disgracefully mentioned Gisela Stuart's background in the run up to the referendum?

Aren't you part Iranian? Are we sure your support for Leave is to ensure the little great Satan is divided by Brexit.
    I'm British. My father is Iranian. I was born and brought up here. I wasn't educated by the Iranian government despite access to UK schools, I haven't taken any honours from the Iranian government and I'm not the president of any pro-Iranian organisations.

Other than that, good point.
    Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

I'm British. My father is Iranian. I was born and brought up here. I wasn't educated by the Iranian government despite access to UK schools, I haven't taken any honours from the Iranian government and I'm not the president of any pro-Iranian organisations.

So you're doing the Ayatollah's work to divide the West.

Noted.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    Don't think so.

He has

Its not
    Is there anything about Labour and Corbyn you won't instinctively defend BJO?
    Scott_P said:
    Theresa must really regret her antics last week.

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    Don't think so.

If I were the Sheffield Lib Dems I'm be working 24/7 to get Magid Magid to defect and make him the candidate for Hallam.

Lib Dem gain nailed on.
    I'd have thought he'll probably be standing for the Greens in central ?

I wonder how a by-election would go there now. Labour would win but a big swing from Lab -> Green would be my guess.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    MaxPB said:

Anazina said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

LOL
    Before long, Grieve will try and get Barnier or Junker to become PM!
    For a second Glorious Revolution it should be someone from Benelux, so Juncker or Verhofstadt.

Scott_P said:
    Is there really time to run through an amendment at that stage ?
    It's way past the final whistle in terms of time.

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

Noted.
    So you're a racist that judges people on their genetics rather than their actions.

Noted.
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    Don't think so.

Lib Dem gain nailed on.
    I'd have thought he'll probably be standing for the Greens in central ?

I wonder how a by-election would go there now. Labour would win but a big swing from Lab -> Green would be my guess.
    In a by election I reckon the Lib Dems gain.

Hanretty estimates Hallam voted 66% Remain, which is in the same ball park as Lewisham East, and we saw the Lab to LD swing there.

Plus I can see a lot of Tories voting tactically to get rid of O'Mara.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Scott_P said:
    I think the rebels have disappeared up their own backsides.

Call their bluff Theresa - and if you fail, go.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    Scott_P said:
    If the Government has conceded that the motion can be amended, then presumably they'll have no problem with voting for the Lords amendment that says just that.
    edited June 2018
    Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

Noted.
    So you're a racist that judges people on their genetics rather than their actions.

Noted.
    I'm mocking you in the same manner that you condemn Dominic Grieve.

Light bends around you.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    Wow. This statement from the families at Gosport is truly damning
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    I'm now utterly confused, and I expect most people are over this navel gazing stuff.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001

Wow. This statement from the families at Gosport is truly damning

And so it should be
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Well if the EU agree an extension to Article 50 there'll be plenty of time for that amendment and many more.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,702

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    Don't think so.

He has

Its not
    I dont think Sheffield Hallam MP has done well

TSE was factually incorrect he is voting now

It is nothing like having a SF MP

and regarding Corbyn I do not believe in UND

REGARDING LABOUR MPs loads of examples where i criticise them

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

Noted.

Noted.

Light bends around you.
    Dominic Grieve being president of the Anglo-French society and taking the Legion d'Honeur is his ethnic background? Whatever you say.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    Don't think so.

He has

Its not
    I dont think Sheffield Hallam MP has done well

TSE was factually incorrect he is voting now

It is nothing like having a SF MP

and regarding Corbyn I do not believe in UND

REGARDING LABOUR MPs loads of examples where i criticise them
    Thanks for your reply, but the Labour MPs you tend to criticise appear to be centrist ones. ;)
    Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

Noted.

Noted.

Light bends around you.
    Dominic Grieve being president of the Anglo-French society and taking the Legion d'Honeur is his ethnic background? Whatever you say.
    Grieve's mother is French.

Another British politician with a foreign born mother was awarded Légion d'Honneur, but I guess you'll be condemning Sir Winston Churchill too, after all he was in favour of a political union with France.
    Totally British patriot Dominic Grieve.

https://imgur.com/a/PsPdas1

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Well if the EU agree an extension to Article 50 there'll be plenty of time for that amendment and many more.
    Yes but Alistair has assured me I've been a total melt in terms of taking my stake out on that bet and we're leaving on time :>
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

He has a bee in his bonnet, certainly.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,748
    Still on Brexit, progress on securing an air travel agreement will definitely start soon (!)

https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/jobs.cgi?jcode=1586968
    edited June 2018
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm actually enjoying a couple of pints at the Kings Stores in Liverpool Street!
    edited June 2018
    Elliot said:

Here's another British patriot with the same Légion d'Honneur

• AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Yes but Alistair has assured me I've been a total melt in terms of taking my stake out on that bet and we're leaving on time :>
    You trust lawyers? Tsk.
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    I think we will Leave on time, but I'm seeing the chances of us asking for an extension rising day by day.

To reassure you further, there's no guarantee that our request for an extension will be met.
    Lol, the rebels are so weak! Less backbone than IDS!!!
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Game over for the rebels if Morgan has folded.

Increasingly difficult to see Anna Soubry staying in the party.
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm actually enjoying a couple of pints at the Kings Stores in Liverpool Street!
    Would never have guessed!

:smile:
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755

Elliot said:

My father-in=law was made a Chevalier, for serving in the Arctic Convoy, just before he died.
    Elliot said:

I think his amendment daft but this is stupid as those attacks on SNP MPs when they had snaps taken by the tricolour at Kilmainham Gaol.
    Will Bercow decide it is 'meaningful' ?
    Can he ?
    I'll admit I'm a bit lost.
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

:D

I wanted a pizza for lunch so walked over from London Wall to Pizza Union, then the pub called to me on the walk back.

Given that my gardening leave starts next week, I think I'm in the clear.

Elliot said:

Was he president of the Franco-British society too?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

Noted.

Noted.

Light bends around you.

Another British politician with a foreign born mother was awarded Légion d'Honneur, but I guess you'll be condemning Sir Winston Churchill too, after all he was in favour of a political union with France.
    Priti Patel’s fan club won’t tolerate anyone with foreign parents.
    https://twitter.com/pritipatel4pm/status/1008695196970823681?s=21
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Thank Christ we have a Strong & Stable government.

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

Noted.

Noted.

Light bends around you.

That's not her official account.
    Pulpstar said:

Can he ?

He may not be speaker by then
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,879

I'm now utterly confused, and I expect most people are over this navel gazing stuff.

Yeah I've got no idea what's going on.
    I'd sort of assumed this was all storm in a teacup stuff, but some of the wiser heads on here like OGH and TSE seem to think this could be the end of Theresa May.
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

I wanted a pizza for lunch so walked over from London Wall to Pizza Union, then the pub called to me on the walk back.

ha I thought you must be on gardening leave....far too much time posting on PB.

Going/doing anything nice on the time off?

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

Noted.

Noted.

Light bends around you.

This message is supported and endorsed by @Elliot.
    Things we have learned this week:

1. That the House can sit in private; and

2. That a motion can be expressed in neutral terms.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Two new Italian polls give the League a small lead for the first time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_Italian_general_election#2018
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Lol, they agreed to give me 3 months gardening leave and three months double pay for my 6 month notice (which contractually I was entitled to take all as gardening leave). Clearly, I didn't do very much work.

Wedding planning, honeymoon planning then the honeymoon. Got to finish buying my place, hopefully it will complete next month. The London property market has huge discounts available for anyone who asks! I got about £200k off the asking price for my place. :)

Pulpstar said:

Can he ?

If that is what the government is banking on then I think that would be a huge mistake.
    Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Worse than that.

Churchill tried to merge the UK and France into one country.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

I don’t like to get personal. But, really, Max: do grow up. Grieve is a distinguished thoughtful lawyer and Parliamentarian, who has been a loss to the Cabinet, and who is trying to do the best for his country as he sees it. He may be wrong. But he is not a repulsive apologist or traitor and he disgraces no-one. Your post, on the other hand.....

The single thing I hate most about the EU referendum has been the way otherwise apparently sensible people have lost the ability to understand the concept of the honest and legitimate disagreement. Taking a different view frome one’s own does not thereby mean that the person doing so is somehow evil. There are plenty on here on both sides who might like to reflect on that. And I apologise in advance if that makes me sound pompous. But some threads are well nigh unbearable with all the “traitor”, “remoaner”, “xenophobe” abuse.

Pulpstar said:

Can he ?

Don't be silly. He's even more barnacle like than May.

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Worse than that.

Wasn't it more a takeover rather than merging?
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Lol, they agreed to give me 3 months gardening leave and three months double pay for my 6 month notice (which contractually I was entitled to take all as gardening leave). Clearly, I didn't do very much work.

Wedding planning, honeymoon planning then the honeymoon. Got to finish buying my place, hopefully it will complete next month. The London property market has huge discounts available for anyone who asks! I got about £200k off the asking price for my place. :)
    good job and sounds like a busy few weeks.
    MaxPB said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Worse than that.

Merger.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/536106/
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,539
    Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

I don’t like to get personal. But, really, Max: do grow up. Grieve is a distinguished thoughtful lawyer and Parliamentarian, who has been a loss to the Cabinet, and who is trying to do the best for his country as he sees it. He may be wrong. But he is not a repulsive apologist or traitor and he disgraces no-one. Your post, on the other hand.....

The single thing I hate most about the EU referendum has been the way otherwise apparently sensible people have lost the ability to understand the concept of the honest and legitimate disagreement. Taking a different view frome one’s own does not thereby mean that the person doing so is somehow evil. There are plenty on here on both sides who might like to reflect on that. And I apologise in advance if that makes me sound pompous. But some threads are well nigh unbearable with all the “traitor”, “remoaner”, “xenophobe” abuse.
    Not for the first time, I am in absolute agreement with your eminent reason.

If only you could overcome your xocolatophobia...
    TOPPING said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

Noted.

Noted.

Light bends around you.

Unbelievable. On her own basis, Priti Patel should be described as a Ugandan. What is wrong with these people?

MaxPB said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Worse than that.

Merger.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/536106/
    Goodness..
    “Better be a Nazi province. At least we know what that means.”
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

Noted.

Noted.

Light bends around you.

Unbelievable. On her own basis, Priti Patel should be described as a Ugandan. What is wrong with these people?
    Dominic Grieve is a British as Mr. Punch - to whom he bears a passing resemblance...
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

I have no phobia about chocolate. Love the good stuff. Just like eating - rather than drinking - it.

But I have now given up coffee. So perhaps you could see your way to forgiving me .......
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited June 2018
    Cyclefree said:

That's not Priti's tweet and I doubt she would share its sentiments.
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

Noted.

Noted.

Light bends around you.

Dominic Grieve is a British as Mr. Punch - to whom he bears a passing resemblance...
    I must admit I don't remember any Brexiteers attacking Gisela Stuart for being German when she was campaigning for Brexit.
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

I have no phobia about chocolate. Love the good stuff. Just like eating - rather than drinking - it.

But I have now given up coffee. So perhaps you could see your way to forgiving me .......
    I hereby acknowledge you as the nonpareil of PB.
    edited June 2018
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

Noted.

Noted.

Light bends around you.

I could not care less who his parents are or where he was educated. Unlike Ms Patel he understands the importance of not lying, which is rather more important than his mother’s nationality.

Edited: I see that @Tissue_Price has pointed out that it’s not Ms Patel’s tweet. Her supporters should be ashamed of themselves.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,747
    Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

+1. I get very tired of personal abuse on both sides on this debate. It really doesn't help.
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

Noted.

Noted.

Light bends around you.

I could not care less who his parents are or where he was educated. Unlike Ms Patel he understands the importance of not lying, which is rather more important than his mother’s nationality. Priti Patel should be ashamed of that tweet.

It's not her tweet.
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

Noted.

Noted.

Light bends around you.

I could not care less who his parents are or where he was educated. Unlike Ms Patel he understands the importance of not lying, which is rather more important than his mother’s nationality. Priti Patel should be ashamed of that tweet.

As has already been mentioned I am pretty sure that is not Patel's twitter feed. Some deluded supporter I suspect.

Cyclefree said:

That's not Priti's tweet and I doubt she would share its sentiments.
    Thanks. Have edited my post.

• MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

Noted.

Noted.

Light bends around you.

Parody account of some kind.

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm, usually, trolling/goading the ardent remainers on PB.

I said before I really do believe that Grieve is a traitor, however I think the rest of them are just misguided. It's not his background or his mum's citizenship (which I didn't know about until someone here pointed it out) but his actions in Parliament. He has systematically undermined the British negotiating position while strengthening our opponent's. For that he has crossed the line. You may not believe in leaving, you may not agree with it, however, everyone in this country should be agreed that the UK needs to negotiate from a position of strength, Grieve has proven with his actions time and again he doesn't believe that. The logical conclusion is that he serves another master.
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

+1. I get very tired of personal abuse on both sides on this debate. It really doesn't help.
    And me
This discussion has been closed.