Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Losing today’s Brexit vote could prove fatal for Mrs. May’s pr

Comments

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,407

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

No surprise when some of them are part of the French republican peerage.
    I bet you got your knickers in a twist when Lord Sugar disgracefully mentioned Gisela Stuart's background in the run up to the referendum?

Aren't you part Iranian? Are we sure your support for Leave is to ensure the little great Satan is divided by Brexit.
    I'm British. My father is Iranian. I was born and brought up here. I wasn't educated by the Iranian government despite access to UK schools, I haven't taken any honours from the Iranian government and I'm not the president of any pro-Iranian organisations.

Other than that, good point.
    So you're doing the Ayatollah's work to divide the West.

Noted.
    So you're a racist that judges people on their genetics rather than their actions.

Noted.
    I'm mocking you in the same manner that you condemn Dominic Grieve.

Light bends around you.
    Dominic Grieve being president of the Anglo-French society and taking the Legion d'Honeur is his ethnic background? Whatever you say.
    Grieve's mother is French.

Another British politician with a foreign born mother was awarded Légion d'Honneur, but I guess you'll be condemning Sir Winston Churchill too, after all he was in favour of a political union with France.
    Priti Patel’s fan club won’t tolerate anyone with foreign parents.
    https://twitter.com/pritipatel4pm/status/1008695196970823681?s=21
    This message is supported and endorsed by @Elliot.
    Unbelievable. On her own basis, Priti Patel should be described as a Ugandan. What is wrong with these people?
    Dominic Grieve is a British as Mr. Punch - to whom he bears a passing resemblance...
    I could not care less who his parents are or where he was educated. Unlike Ms Patel he understands the importance of not lying, which is rather more important than his mother’s nationality. Priti Patel should be ashamed of that tweet.

As has already been mentioned I am pretty sure that is not Patel's twitter feed. Some deluded supporter I suspect.
    Not me!
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Half an hour in to PMQ's and still no questions about today's vote.

Theresa's won it hasn't she?

It certainly looks that way. In asking for the power to reverse the public vote, Grieve showed his true colours and his true agenda. He is a repulsive Brussels apologist who disgraces our party and our country.
    I don’t like to get personal. But, really, Max: do grow up. Grieve is a distinguished thoughtful lawyer and Parliamentarian, who has been a loss to the Cabinet, and who is trying to do the best for his country as he sees it. He may be wrong. But he is not a repulsive apologist or traitor and he disgraces no-one. Your post, on the other hand.....

The single thing I hate most about the EU referendum has been the way otherwise apparently sensible people have lost the ability to understand the concept of the honest and legitimate disagreement. Taking a different view frome one’s own does not thereby mean that the person doing so is somehow evil. There are plenty on here on both sides who might like to reflect on that. And I apologise in advance if that makes me sound pompous. But some threads are well nigh unbearable with all the “traitor”, “remoaner”, “xenophobe” abuse.
    Not for the first time, I am in absolute agreement with your eminent reason.

If only you could overcome your xocolatophobia...
    I have no phobia about chocolate. Love the good stuff. Just like eating - rather than drinking - it.

But I have now given up coffee. So perhaps you could see your way to forgiving me .......
    I hereby acknowledge you as the nonpareil of PB.
    La Belle Dame Vous Remercie

(I suppose once cannabis is decriminalised we will have people sprinkling THAT on their coffee...... :) )
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    DavidL said:

+1. I get very tired of personal abuse on both sides on this debate. It really doesn't help.

I have a theory (might make a good thread header) based on the Indyref and Brexit, that referendums are particularly toxic.

Normally politics takes place at one remove. You can only vote for 1 MP, so the actions of others are somewhat out of your control.

In referendums, the traitors (whichever side you are on) are your family, co-workers, neighbours and friends. you can actually look them in the eye, and hate them for their vote.

The rancour in Scotland continues unabated. Brexit is 2 years younger, and probably has at least a generation to run (whatever the outcome)
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    With the end of that match, I really should get back to work.
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Remarkably this eighthwit is not a spoof Priti Patel, it's the real thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DrsVhzbLzU

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

I bet you got your knickers in a twist when Lord Sugar disgracefully mentioned Gisela Stuart's background in the run up to the referendum?

Aren't you part Iranian? Are we sure your support for Leave is to ensure the little great Satan is divided by Brexit.
    I'm British. My father is Iranian. I was born and brought up here. I wasn't educated by the Iranian government despite access to UK schools, I haven't taken any honours from the Iranian government and I'm not the president of any pro-Iranian organisations.

Noted.
    So you're a racist that judges people on their genetics rather than their actions.

Noted.

Light bends around you.
    Dominic Grieve being president of the Anglo-French society and taking the Legion d'Honeur is his ethnic background? Whatever you say.

Another British politician with a foreign born mother was awarded Légion d'Honneur, but I guess you'll be condemning Sir Winston Churchill too, after all he was in favour of a political union with France.
    Unbelievable. On her own basis, Priti Patel should be described as a Ugandan. What is wrong with these people?
    Dominic Grieve is a British as Mr. Punch - to whom he bears a passing resemblance...
    I could not care less who his parents are or where he was educated. Unlike Ms Patel he understands the importance of not lying, which is rather more important than his mother’s nationality. Priti Patel should be ashamed of that tweet.

As has already been mentioned I am pretty sure that is not Patel's twitter feed. Some deluded supporter I suspect.
    Are any of her supporters luded?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited June 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

Noted.

Noted.

Light bends around you.

It's not her tweet.
    It's either a) someone who is mocking her and what she might say; or b) someone who is a supporter who wishes she had said it.

Either way not a good look/snapshot of British politics right now.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

It certainly looks that way. In asking for the power to reverse the public vote, Grieve showed his true colours and his true agenda. He is a repulsive Brussels apologist who disgraces our party and our country.
    I don’t like to get personal. But, really, Max: do grow up. Grieve is a distinguished thoughtful lawyer and Parliamentarian, who has been a loss to the Cabinet, and who is trying to do the best for his country as he sees it. He may be wrong. But he is not a repulsive apologist or traitor and he disgraces no-one. Your post, on the other hand.....

The single thing I hate most about the EU referendum has been the way otherwise apparently sensible people have lost the ability to understand the concept of the honest and legitimate disagreement. Taking a different view frome one’s own does not thereby mean that the person doing so is somehow evil. There are plenty on here on both sides who might like to reflect on that. And I apologise in advance if that makes me sound pompous. But some threads are well nigh unbearable with all the “traitor”, “remoaner”, “xenophobe” abuse.
    +1. I get very tired of personal abuse on both sides on this debate. It really doesn't help.
    And me
    The single most important fact in British politics today is that the EU referendum was won with xenophobic lies. I'm not going to enter into some form of self-denying ordinance in pointing this out. It underpins most of current politics in one way or another. An extreme allergy to the x word is something that others are just going to have to get an epipen for.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776
    Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Usually, I'd agree, but Grieve really is a liar, humbug, loathsome spotted reptile, and self-confessed chicken-strangler.
  • NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm, usually, trolling/goading the ardent remainers on PB.

I said before I really do believe that Grieve is a traitor, however I think the rest of them are just misguided. It's not his background or his mum's citizenship (which I didn't know about until someone here pointed it out) but his actions in Parliament. He has systematically undermined the British negotiating position while strengthening our opponent's. For that he has crossed the line. You may not believe in leaving, you may not agree with it, however, everyone in this country should be agreed that the UK needs to negotiate from a position of strength, Grieve has proven with his actions time and again he doesn't believe that. The logical conclusion is that he serves another master.
    Yup and it does seem some of the "misguided" rebels are every bit as weird as the more extreme Brexiteers. To add to the apologist Grieve we have Soubry who sees herself as a kind of latter day reverse Joan of Arc, Sandbach who is up for suing people having the temerity to email her about Brexit, the policy somersaulting flakey Woollaston and Heidi Allen who might as well sit on the opposition benches as she seems to oppose the gov't on almost everything. Pragmatic centre of the party Tories groan at both sides.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited June 2018
    Grieve to back Government from Bloomberg

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    The single most important fact in British politics today is that the EU referendum was won with xenophobic lies. I'm not going to enter into some form of self-denying ordinance in pointing this out. It underpins most of current politics in one way or another. An extreme allergy to the x word is something that others are just going to have to get an epipen for.
    Alastair - you do persist with this argument but just as many were misled by the remain scare stories.

Time we all moved on
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Usually, I'd agree, but Grieve really is a liar, humbug, loathsome spotted reptile, and self-confessed chicken-strangler.
    Grieve has caved. It feels like witness for the prosecution.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,548
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

https://youtu.be/-B0dqvXyx84?t=37

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    Alastair - you do persist with this argument but just as many were misled by the remain scare stories.

Time we all moved on
    The country cannot move on. It is committed to an anti-immigration prospectus, because of the way the referendum was won. There is no positive prospectus for Leave, because Leavers fell in behind a campaign of xenophobic lies.

Until this disaster is confronted, the process of clearing up the wreckage can't start.
    MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm, usually, trolling/goading the ardent remainers on PB.

I said before I really do believe that Grieve is a traitor, however I think the rest of them are just misguided. It's not his background or his mum's citizenship (which I didn't know about until someone here pointed it out) but his actions in Parliament. He has systematically undermined the British negotiating position while strengthening our opponent's. For that he has crossed the line. You may not believe in leaving, you may not agree with it, however, everyone in this country should be agreed that the UK needs to negotiate from a position of strength, Grieve has proven with his actions time and again he doesn't believe that. The logical conclusion is that he serves another master.
    No. Your conclusion simply does not follow from your preceding statements. The reason the government’s position is weaker than it might have been is because of the actions of the government over the last two years. Grieve has been active relatively recently. His assessment may be wrong. But this does not mean that he is serving a different master. It simply means that he has a different view to yours as to what is in his country’s national interest, a country he has served in a distinguished capacity for a number of years.

There is absolutely no basis for accusing him of acting in the interests of a foreign government or entity. If you are going to start throwing accusations like that around you might do better to look at the antics of Mr Banks and Mr Farage.

And I am not an ardent Remainer. I have severely criticised the EU over the years. But I am becoming ashamed of the infantile incompetence of my country’s government and the behaviour of some of its supporters. Not all Brexiteers are like this but enough of them are to make me seriously wonder what sort of country we are going to end up being if they remain in charge.

As for trolling, leave this to @SeanT. He does it best.

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me

Time we all moved on
    The country cannot move on. It is committed to an anti-immigration prospectus, because of the way the referendum was won. There is no positive prospectus for Leave, because Leavers fell in behind a campaign of xenophobic lies.

Until this disaster is confronted, the process of clearing up the wreckage can't start.
    Sorry Alastair but you are going to be in turmoil indefinitely
    edited June 2018
    Grieve in HOC accepting government position much to murmurings from labour

TM is a remarkable survivor
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

So in your world, the Good People of Remain didn't lose the referendum, it was just that the Bad Racists of Leave who won it. Right. Ok.

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me

Time we all moved on

Sorry Alastair but you are going to be in turmoil indefinitely
    Delete "you are" and replace with "Britain is". The way in which the referendum vote was won was the most important and most disastrous thing to hit this country in my lifetime.
    Norm said:

Yup and it does seem some of the "misguided" rebels are every bit as weird as the more extreme Brexiteers. To add to the apologist Grieve we have Soubry who sees herself as a kind of latter day reverse Joan of Arc, Sandbach who is up for suing people having the temerity to email her about Brexit, the policy somersaulting flakey Woollaston and Heidi Allen who might as well sit on the opposition benches as she seems to oppose the gov't on almost everything. Pragmatic centre of the party Tories groan at both sides.

"... flakey Woollaston and Heidi Allen who might as well sit on the opposition benches as she seems to oppose the gov't on almost everything. "

Ahem:
    "Heidi Allen is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs."
    "Heidi Allen has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament."
    https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/25348/heidi_allen/south_cambridgeshire

"Sarah Wollaston is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs."
    "Sarah Wollaston has occasionally rebelled against their party in the current parliament."
    https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24761/sarah_wollaston/totnes

Don't let this one issue blind you. Both are loyal Conservatives; but they are also individuals and constituency MPs.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

The rancour in Scotland continues unabated. Brexit is 2 years younger, and probably has at least a generation to run (whatever the outcome)
    So, about 2 years....
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Huh

Norm said:

"... flakey Woollaston and Heidi Allen who might as well sit on the opposition benches as she seems to oppose the gov't on almost everything. "

Ahem:
    "Heidi Allen is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs."
    "Heidi Allen has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament."

"Sarah Wollaston is a Conservative MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Conservative MPs."
    "Sarah Wollaston has occasionally rebelled against their party in the current parliament."

Don't let this one issue blind you. Both are loyal Conservatives; but they are also individuals and constituency MPs.
    Yeah, isn't one of the features of the Tory party that it is a broad church? The fact they are independently minded is a good thing, even if it is bloody annoying sometimes :p

Norm said:

Ahem:

Opposing and rebelling are not quite the same thing especially bearing in mind the way the gov't and T May give way so easily to avoid defeats.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.

It's certainly a momentous week. F1 returns to France after over a decade away (I think), and Red Bull have announced they're switching to Honda engines next year. Not to mention (although I am) Alonso's Le Mans win, alongside Buemi and Nakajima.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    Anazina said:

Took me a moment to get that :)

Similar to the one I always ask about which is whether one can be bauched.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Big win for May. I've had a small top up laying 2018 exit date.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.132897849
    Always knew Grieve was a jolly good egg. :D
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037

So in your world, the Good People of Remain didn't lose the referendum, it was just that the Bad Racists of Leave who won it. Right. Ok.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head (even though your sense of irony is misplaced).

The Leave campaign consisted of an unholy alliance of xenophobes, bigots, racists, thickos, ignorant folk and little Englanders. Thanks to that unholy alliance, this country is staring down the barrel. Sad, sad times.
  • ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

A bloody difficult woman.
    murali_s said:

You pretty much hit the nail on the head (even though your sense of irony is misplaced).

The Leave campaign consisted of an unholy alliance of xenophobes, bigots, racists, thickos, ignorant folk and little Englanders. Thanks to that unholy alliance, this country is staring down the barrel. Sad, sad times.
    And yet they still won. :smiley:
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,981
    RobD said:

Always knew Grieve was a jolly good egg. :D

Grieve's a typical Frenchman, surrenders very easily :lol:
    RobD said:

murali_s said:

It was because of this that they won. Playing to people's worst instincts is a powerful strategy.

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    You are just a bitter elitist who thinks his little cultural tribe is superior to others who live outside Zone 2 and is so blinded by his pretension he doesn't even realise Londoners are the unhappiest people in the country.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

tpfkar said:

Looking at the way the Government are playing silly buggers with the shared amendment, refusing to pair, and that written minsterial statement, I really hope they lose by exactly 1 vote.

That way, it's all blamed on them ducking the vote from the previous week, when the Lewisham East MP wasn't there. They've trampled so much on parliamentary procedures and their own promises, there deserves to be some real comeback.

The trampling on parliamentary procedures entails the rebels arguing parliament should usurp executive powers from the executive and the Lords overruling the Commons on a manifesto commitment. These are people more loyal to the EU than the British constitution.

Noted.

Noted.

Light bends around you.

It was pretty staggering how gullible so many people proved to be regarding this tweet. I sometimes think social media means people are desperate to find outrage and in doing so fail to verify and scrutinise the source of their anger.

Amazed Grieve gave in like that. What a huge win for the government this could be.
    RobD said:

murali_s said:

The fact that thickos and xenophobes are in the majority is indeed very sad. Lying disingenuous politicians like Boris Johnson are the architects of this calamity.

Anazina said:

Took me a moment to get that :)

Similar to the one I always ask about which is whether one can be bauched.
    :) I have fleeting moments of gruntlement, usually on a Saturday, frequently within the walls of a good pub
    murali_s said:

And yet you lost to them.

What does that make you?
  • PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

The single thing I hate most about the EU referendum has been the way otherwise apparently sensible people have lost the ability to understand the concept of the honest and legitimate disagreement. Taking a different view from one’s own does not thereby mean that the person doing so is somehow evil. There are plenty on here on both sides who might like to reflect on that. And I apologise in advance if that makes me sound pompous. But some threads are well nigh unbearable with all the “traitor”, “remoaner”, “xenophobe” abuse.
    And a Tory, Mr F. You forgot to mention that.

Do you think he was put up to the whole thing by the Tory whips, in order to raise hopes and then dash them to the ground? A the time of the Referendum, Dr Woolaston did much the same thing.
    Antoinette Sandbach supports government - another rebel voting for TM
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,235
    edited June 2018
    Theresa's played a blinder. The Brexit we're going to go for will be entirely what she has decided upon. Whether on not the EU agrees is, of course, an entirely different matter, but Theresa's as safe as houses for now.
    Elliot said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    You are just a bitter elitist who thinks his little cultural tribe is superior to others who live outside Zone 2
    Zone 2? How very dare you?
    murali_s said:

"I was beaten by a bus"; "I was outwitted by thickos" " in other words.
    murali_s said:

RobD said:

murali_s said:

The fact that thickos and xenophobes are in the majority is indeed very sad. Lying disingenuous politicians like Boris Johnson are the architects of this calamity.
    It was a victory for voting and self-determination over bitter snobs that despise Britain and democracy.
    Elliot said:

murali_s said:

RobD said:

murali_s said:

It was a victory for voting and self-determination over bitter snobs that despise Britain and democracy.
    The comedy just keeps on coming.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Guardian liveblog reporting the opposite.
    Elliot said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    You are just a bitter elitist who thinks his little cultural tribe is superior to others who live outside Zone 2 and is so blinded by his pretension he doesn't even realise Londoners are the unhappiest people in the country.
    I'm comfortable being criticised by a man who thinks that a man's racial history is a valid reason for questioning his integrity. Since I now live in the countryside, you can't even nail one basic fact to hang your insult on.
    Elliot said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    Why are the PB Paleo Right so weirdly obsessed with London? It's utterly bizarre.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Just heard that Grieve is proposing an amendment he doesn't support.

This a week after a minister resigned on a matter of principle, then abstained.

Is the Parliamentary Conservative Party becoming some sort of postmodern performance art?

Guardian liveblog reporting the opposite.
    I just heard her live in the HOC
    edited June 2018

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    I’ve never quite understood if you think that having any concerns at all about immigration are ipso facto xenophobic. Or any concerns about FoM? Or whether it was just the way the concerns about Turkey and non-EU migration were expressed ie the infamous posters?

Ie do you think that there was a legitimate way in which immigration concerns could have been expressed but that this was not, very regrettably in your view, the choice made by the Leave campaign?

For the record I do not think that having concerns about the level or type of immigration or indeed the effects of FoM is ipso facto xenophobic or racist. But it is possible that such concerns may be animated by prejudice and may be expressed in a way which is harmful to a society.

I think your definition of rebel needs work.

Theresa's played a blinder. The Brexit we're going to go for will be entirely what she has decided upon. Whether on not the EU agrees is, of course, an entirely different matter, but Theresa's as safe as houses for now.

Yes, God only knows what Brexit we'll get but Javid's team will be parking the bus till the 2019 conference now when May's Brexit deal starts to unravel to topple May.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    edited June 2018
    Elliot said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    Where do you live, Elliot?

murali_s said:

What does that make you?
    Honourable.
    Norm said:

Norm said:

Ahem:

Opposing and rebelling are not quite the same thing especially bearing in mind the way the gov't and T May give way so easily to avoid defeats.
    No, sorry, you are wrong: on the vast majority of issues those two you named are loyal Conservatives, balancing (as all MPs should do) what they feel is right for their conscience, their constituents, the party and the country.

You could argue they are mouthy gits, but then so are people like IDS (when not coughing), JRM and others. In fact, being mouthy is sometimes the best way of getting what you feel is best for their conscience, their constituents, their party and the country.
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    I’ve never quite understood if you think that having any concerns at all about immigration are ipso facto xenophobic. Or any concerns about FoM? Or whether it was just the way the concerns about Turkey and non-EU migration were expressed ie the infamous posters?

Ie do you think that there was a legitimate way in which immigration concerns could have been expressed but that this was not, very regrettably in your view, the choice made by the Leave campaign?

For the record I do not think that having concerns about the level or type of immigration or indeed the effects of FoM is ipso fact xenophobic or racist. But it is possible that such concerns may be animated by prejudice and my be expressed in a way which is harmful to a society.
    Did you think the Leave campaign was xenophobic in tone or not?

Elliot said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    I'm comfortable being criticised by a man who thinks that a man's racial history is a valid reason for questioning his integrity. Since I now live in the countryside, you can't even nail one basic fact to hang your insult on.
    Can Bernard Jenkin count on your vote ;) ?

murali_s said:

What does that make you?

It has to be stated for younger readers: Carlotta was the most vociferous Remainer on this site before the vote was in.
    Anazina said:

I am sure it does and looking on the Guardian blog she is being ambiguous - so not sure of how she will vote

Anazina said:

I am sure it does and looking on the Guardian blog she is being ambiguous - so not sure of how she will vote
    More Labourites rebelling against their front bench than Tories would be my guess now.

Elliot said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    I hope the move went well. I am planning a similar move in the course of the next year or so. When I think of all that is involved, I need a lie down.......
    Anazina said:

Elliot said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    Why are the PB Paleo Right so weirdly obsessed with London? It's utterly bizarre.
    Just J I guess. What has become of the PB Right - it used to be a great source of betting information - now just a tribe of (ugly) certified morons.
    murali_s said:

Anazina said:

Elliot said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    Just J I guess. What has become of the PB Right - it used to be a great source of betting information - now just a tribe of (ugly) certified morons.
    Lay 2018 at 2.98, it is too short: https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.132897849
    murali_s said:

Anazina said:

Elliot said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    You do absolutely no favours to yourself by calling half of PB ugly morons.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    It is going to be a much bigger win. I think @Sean_F is right - 15+

murali_s said:

What does that make you?

It has to be stated for younger readers: Carlotta was the most vociferous Remainer on this site before the vote was in.
    Incredibly hard to believe now. But reading her posts back makes for an incredible comparison.
    Cyclefree said:

No. Your conclusion simply does not follow from your preceding statements. The reason the government’s position is weaker than it might have been is because of the actions of the government over the last two years. Grieve has been active relatively recently. His assessment may be wrong. But this does not mean that he is serving a different master. It simply means that he has a different view to yours as to what is in his country’s national interest, a country he has served in a distinguished capacity for a number of years.

There is absolutely no basis for accusing him of acting in the interests of a foreign government or entity. If you are going to start throwing accusations like that around you might do better to look at the antics of Mr Banks and Mr Farage.

And I am not an ardent Remainer. I have severely criticised the EU over the years. But I am becoming ashamed of the infantile incompetence of my country’s government and the behaviour of some of its supporters. Not all Brexiteers are like this but enough of them are to make me seriously wonder what sort of country we are going to end up being if they remain in charge.

It's not aimed at anyone in particular.

Wrt Grieve, it looks like he's given up for today, I'm sure he'll pipe up again and try and find a way to help the EU.

I think the difference is that I see the EU as the EU seen the UK, a third country and potential enemy. The remainers are still deluding themselves that the EU sees us as any kind of partner. Some nations may do so, but the EU machinery will never forgive our leave vote and the nation should act accordingly. I trust them as much as they trust us, very little. The Tory rebels and Grieve in particular are enabling a potential enemy of the state to dictate terms.

Though I wasn't serious last time, a bout of McCarthyism might not go amiss at the moment, root out the pro-EU forces in the civil service and government. It's time for those who support the EU to prove their loyalty.

Elliot said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    Where do you live, Elliot?
    Bedfordshire from next week!
    Anazina said:

murali_s said:

What does that make you?

Incredibly hard to believe now. But reading her posts back makes for an incredible comparison.
    There are definitely a few in the get on with it camp.
  • rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Pulpstar said:

murali_s said:

Anazina said:

Elliot said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    Lay 2018 at 2.98, it is too short: https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.132897849
    Anyone have a link for Ladbrokes betting exchange? I heard that they had opened one; hopefully I can get there from my normal Ladbrokes a.c. Don't have a B'fair one.
    edited June 2018
    @RobD

Some of this is tongue in cheek as you know!

Not sure how you voted in the Referendum - I am guessing you voted Remain.

However, the Right are responsible for Brexit - you guys need to suck it up. Calamity ahead for sure - all avoidable sadly.
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,921
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    General pairing was off, but kept for those seriously ill/pregnant and ministers attending overseas meetings.
    I see. Has that idiot from Sheffield Hallam been voting recently?
    Don't think so.

It is just like having a member of Sinn Fein representing Sheffield Hallam.
    I wonder if Shaffaq Mohammed might be the man to defeat him in 2022 ?

http://democracy.sheffield.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=181
    The Lib Dems have already selected Laura Gordon.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    edited June 2018
    The Good Ship May sails on serenely...

Until next time. ;)

Elliot said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    Apparently you are another one who is thick enough to think going to a French school, presiding over a French society, taking an honour from the French government and working for French TV is "racial history".

murali_s said:

What does that make you?
    People who lose must derive some comfort from branding their successful opponents as stupid and/or malicious, given how often the allegation is made. But, it does nothing to help said losers work out how to win in the future.
    GIN1138 said:

The Good Ship May sails on serenely...

Until next time. ;)

Tomorrow then? :D
    Pulpstar said:

murali_s said:

Anazina said:

Elliot said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    Thanks for the tip and I certainly think this is value!
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,794

Time we all moved on

What did you intend to happen when you posted this, Alistair?
    If it was to cause unrest and argument, then fine, you've succeeded, but I do wonder why you think that's a worthwhile exercise of your time, my time, and everyone else's here.
    If it was to convince people or change minds, it's an utter failure and was always going to be, wasn't it?

When you say "confront the disaster", what exactly do you expect people to do? Do you genuinely think (objectively and not an emotional reaction) you're going to get people kneeling down and saying, "Oh, I confess it, I'm scum and I may as well be a Nazi"? Because the impression you give is that such is what you want/expect to happen.

I'm autistic, so I have to put social interactions through a mental model to make sense, and there's no behavioural model where that's ever going to happen, yet it seems to be what you want to happen.

I get where your anger is coming from, but at the moment your contributions on this subject seem to be as conducive to genuine debate and discussion on the Brexit front as SeanT.
    MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

It's not aimed at anyone in particular.

Wrt Grieve, it looks like he's given up for today, I'm sure he'll pipe up again and try and find a way to help the EU.

I think the difference is that I see the EU as the EU seen the UK, a third country and potential enemy. The remainers are still deluding themselves that the EU sees us as any kind of partner. Some nations may do so, but the EU machinery will never forgive our leave vote and the nation should act accordingly. I trust them as much as they trust us, very little. The Tory rebels and Grieve in particular are enabling a potential enemy of the state to dictate terms.

Though I wasn't serious last time, a bout of McCarthyism might not go amiss at the moment, root out the pro-EU forces in the civil service and government. It's time for those who support the EU to prove their loyalty.
    I think the EU might be better disposed to us if a) we knew what we wanted and presented it to them, on the assumption that we are also aware of the rules of the EU as they stand; and b) if we didn't call people traitors who dissent from today's particular government line (whatever that happens to be day in day out).

I don't mean you, I mean our national media and senior politicians. As has been pointed out, the EU can use social and traditional media and when the most popular news website on the planet uses such terminology it is entirely understandable that they are suitably on guard.

They are pushing their advantage as we are trying to push ours.
    Cyclefree said:

And me

For the record I do not think that having concerns about the level or type of immigration or indeed the effects of FoM is ipso facto xenophobic or racist. But it is possible that such concerns may be animated by prejudice and may be expressed in a way which is harmful to a society.
    To answer your questions in turn:

1) No I don't believe that having concerns about immigration are automatically xenophobic. They frequently are though.

2) Ditto freedom of movement. Not that most people understand what freedom of movement is, seeing it as interchangeable with immigration mostly.

3) Yes immigration concerns could in theory have been expressed legitimately. Looking at the calibre of those on the Leave side, however, the chances of that were remote in reality.

To answer an unasked question, I do not believe that all Leave voters are xenophobic. What emerged was a toxic mix of xenophobes and those who hated the EU so much that they were happy to race-bait (or acquiesce in whipping up xenophobia) in order to have a chance of getting over the line. The complete absence of positive reasons is why the process of leaving is going so badly.

But there we are.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,547
    Main takeaways from today's shenanigans

A If May was sure of winning she would have pushed it to a vote. She wasn't sure so she bought Grieve off - again.

B The ERG is still driving the policy agenda. They want a no deal Brexit, and that is still very much on the table after today. May has foregone another opportunity to allow the HoC to articulate the views of the majority of MPs who favour a softer line.

C The absurdity of the debate about an amendment to a motion that might allow a possible future motion to be amended is symptomatic of how Brexit has made Westminster completely dysfunctional. The country faces the biggest crisis in the lifetime of anyone born after the Second World War and politicians can only debate it in terms of arcane procedural devices which do not do justice to the colossal issues at stake and are completely baffling to most people.

D The government is unable to lead, it remains riven and personal animosities are worse than ever. May is the weakest PM for many generations and she is viewed with distrust and contempt on all sides, her own colleagues included. It becomes harder by the day to see how it can reach an acceptable withdrawal deal.

Norm said:

Norm said:

Ahem:

No, sorry, you are wrong: on the vast majority of issues those two you named are loyal Conservatives, balancing (as all MPs should do) what they feel is right for their conscience, their constituents, the party and the country.

You could argue they are mouthy gits, but then so are people like IDS (when not coughing), JRM and others. In fact, being mouthy is sometimes the best way of getting what you feel is best for their conscience, their constituents, their party and the country.
    Look Heidi is attractive (if I'm allowed to say that) and bright but she opposed the UTC roll-out , the DUP confidence arrangement and pronounced TM would only survive 6 months in addition to her pro EU stance. I'm all for independently minded MPs but sometimes you have to rein that back for the greater good. It looks like the rebels have done just that today.
    Cyclefree said:

Elliot said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    I hope the move went well. I am planning a similar move in the course of the next year or so. When I think of all that is involved, I need a lie down.......
    I too am moving to the country. It's interesting how many people try to escape over congested cramped London once they can afford to, isn't it?
    Elliot said:

Elliot said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me
    Apparently you are another one who is thick enough to think going to a French school, presiding over a French society, taking an honour from the French government and working for French TV is "racial history".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM-E2H1ChJM
    Soubry, Clarke and Sandbach rebelling against the Gov't ?

Wonder who will rebel on the Labour side, and who will abstain.
    Anazina said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me

For the record I do not think that having concerns about the level or type of immigration or indeed the effects of FoM is ipso fact xenophobic or racist. But it is possible that such concerns may be animated by prejudice and my be expressed in a way which is harmful to a society.
    I wrote a thread header on immigration during the campaign which sets out my thoughts. I did not pay any attention to the Leave campaign on this issue. I rather like FoM. I was away for the last week so have no memory of seeing the Farage poster at the time. I have since written a thread header expressing my view on that and, more importantly, the language used about EU citizens here since the vote. To say I have concerns would be accurate.

I do understand why some people do worry about immigration and think one of the biggest policy mistakes all governments have made in recent decades is not to address this topic sensibly. This mistake is not limited to the British government, as a look across the Channel will show you. If it is not addressed properly, we end up with leaders justifying separating children from their mothers, as in the US, which is horrible.

Main takeaways from today's shenanigans

A If May was sure of winning she would have pushed it to a vote. She wasn't sure so she bought Grieve off - again.

B The ERG is still driving the policy agenda. They want a no deal Brexit, and that is still very much on the table after today. May has foregone another opportunity to allow the HoC to articulate the views of the majority of MPs who favour a softer line.

C The absurdity of the debate about an amendment to a motion that might allow a possible future motion to be amended is symptomatic of how Brexit has made Westminster completely dysfunctional. The country faces the biggest crisis in the lifetime of anyone born after the Second World War and politicians can only debate it in terms of arcane procedural devices which do not do justice to the colossal issues at stake and are completely baffling to most people.

D The government is unable to lead, it remains riven and personal animosities are worse than ever. May is the weakest PM for many generations and she is viewed with distrust and contempt on all sides, her own colleagues included. It becomes harder by the day to see how it can reach an acceptable withdrawal deal.

What was the compromise this time around?
    edited June 2018
    Elliot said:

Cyclefree said:

Elliot said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

raitor”, “remoaner”, “xenophobe” abuse.
    And me
    I too am moving to the country. It's interesting how many people try to escape over congested cramped London once they can afford to, isn't it?
    There's nowhere worse than central London on a humid Summer's day. The Tube is like a furnace.

Luton is about 3 degrees cooler on average, and I can afford a house with half an acre of garden, there, as opposed to a flat in London.
    TOPPING said:

I think the EU might be better disposed to us if a) we knew what we wanted and presented it to them, on the assumption that we are also aware of the rules of the EU as they stand; and b) if we didn't call people traitors who dissent from today's particular government line (whatever that happens to be day in day out).

I don't mean you, I mean our national media and senior politicians. As has been pointed out, the EU can use social and traditional media and when the most popular news website on the planet uses such terminology it is entirely understandable that they are suitably on guard.

If the government was trying to push it's advantage it would start the process of locking EU nations and companies out of London's capital markets. Force them to try and raise their money in Frankfurt and try and get investors to buy bonds under the threat of the ECJ's "for the greater good" attitude. It would also be beginning to withdraw from EU security cooperation and putting up the gates.

The EU are definitely pushing what advantages they have, and I don't blame them for that. The government are not doing so, and there are remainers in there preventing it. We should be readying the national economy for no deal Brexit, the work hasn't been done because the two remainers in 10/11 are still deluding themselves that the EU is interested in being in a partnership with the UK.
    Norm said:

Norm said:

Norm said:

Ahem:

Look Heidi is attractive (if I'm allowed to say that) and bright but she opposed the UTC roll-out , the DUP confidence arrangement and pronounced TM would only survive 6 months in addition to her pro EU stance. I'm all for independently minded MPs but sometimes you have to rein that back for the greater good. It looks like the rebels have done just that today.
    "I'm all for independently minded MPs "

Evidently you are not.
    Sean_F said:

Elliot said:

Cyclefree said:

Elliot said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

raitor”, “remoaner”, “xenophobe” abuse.
    And me
    There's nowhere worse than central London on a humid Summer's day. The Tube is like a furnace.
    Then don't use the Tube in rush hour – walk or cycle like me. Weird how people conflate an entire city with its rapid transport system at a certain time or in a particular weather pattern. It's rather like saying, "I don't like Manchester. The Metrolink is unpleasant at 11pm on Friday nights."
    Elliot said:

Cyclefree said:

Elliot said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

The single thing I hate most aboue” abuse.
    And me
    "Once they can afford to"???

rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61877683.html

vs

rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71854229.html
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,780
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

If the government was trying to push it's advantage it would start the process of locking EU nations and companies out of London's capital markets.
    I'm not sure that's a very sensible idea. Ultimately, London is just one financial centre, and there are others - such as New York.

Also, the people that make up the capital markets in London are fundamentally mobile. There is massive factory, there are a bunch of people with phones and computers, who can get on planes and move elsewhere.
    Lordy I'm bored with this - every week we get yet another Leave figure of hate. Grieve is just the latest. Let's just go with 'Full English Brexit': WTO, no arrangements with continental Europe, chlorinated chicken and all the rest of it. Yes, it will all be shit other than for those Leavers who can afford to emigrate, but let's give ourselves some peace.
    edited June 2018

Cyclefree said:

And me

To answer your questions in turn:

1) No I don't believe that having concerns about immigration are automatically xenophobic. They frequently are though.

2) Ditto freedom of movement. Not that most people understand what freedom of movement is, seeing it as interchangeable with immigration mostly.

3) Yes immigration concerns could in theory have been expressed legitimately. Looking at the calibre of those on the Leave side, however, the chances of that were remote in reality.

To answer an unasked question, I do not believe that all Leave voters are xenophobic. What emerged was a toxic mix of xenophobes and those who hated the EU so much that they were happy to race-bait (or acquiesce in whipping up xenophobia) in order to have a chance of getting over the line. The complete absence of positive reasons is why the process of leaving is going so badly.

But there we are.
    Thank you.

Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

And me

I wrote a thread header on immigration during the campaign which sets out my thoughts. I did not pay any attention to the Leave campaign on this issue. I rather like FoM. I was away for the last week so have no memory of seeing the Farage poster at the time. I have since written a thread header expressing my view on that and, more importantly, the language used about EU citizens here since the vote. To say I have concerns would be accurate.

I do understand why some people do worry about immigration and think one of the biggest policy mistakes all governments have made in recent decades is not to address this topic sensibly. This mistake is not limited to the British government, as a look across the Channel will show you. If it is not addressed properly, we end up with leaders justifying separating children from their mothers, as in the US, which is horrible.

You are equivocating. I'm asking you whether you thought the campaign was xenophobic. That you weren't aware of the content of the campaign bears no scrutiny whatsoever.
This discussion has been closed.