Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Michael Bloomberg to spend $80m helping the Democrats in key r

124»

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    ydoethur said:

(Continued)
    Second, let's not mince words. The UK is a massive loss to the EU. It's the one really significant military power, the financial hub of Europe - arguably, one of only two hubs on the planet - it is home to almost all of Europe's top universities, much of the medical and pharmaceutical industries and around 15% of the population. Losing the UK is a serious blow to the EU's dreams of becoming the world's most powerful entity and not only are they still reeling from shock, they think if they make leaving difficult we'll change our minds and come back in to their great benefit. In this as I have made clear many times they are approximately as wrong as Richard Dawkins on the religious views of Joseph Stalin (and that's pretty damn wrong) but again, we come back to the fact that they see the world through an alcoholic haze and low IQ.

I think we are going to leave with no deal and that will be immensely damaging to both of us. I think not only is the EU extraordinarily blasé about creating a major hostile power on its north-western and southern periphery, but the fallout for them directly will be serious - it seems entirely possible it will down banking systems in Italy, Spain and Ireland for a start. Indeed, this foreseeable car crash is one of the key reasons I voted remain (it certainly wasn't out of starry eyed admiration for the EU, although I appreciate you would never guess that from my posts). But they don't seem to care. They're so wedded to the project they can't bear to compromise to save it. Their attitude reminds me very forcibly of the great Sir Boyle Roche: "It would surely be better, Mr. Speaker, to give up not only a part, but, if necessary, even the whole, of our constitution, to preserve the remainder!"

Love ya, ydoether !
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    @ydoethur - I trust, having read your latest posts, that you will be voting Leave when the Establishment makes us vote again?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,056
    Foxy said:

Brazil must be intensively relaxed at the moment. None of the big teams look very good, especially in defence.

Brazil didn't look great either.

Spain or Portugal, look most likely. Uruguay my dark horse for the final.
    Spain look strong and will be very hard to beat - its possible they've already suffered their 'bad penalty conceded', 'goalkeeper howler' and 'victim of brilliance' goals.

Portugal look very dependent upon Ronaldo, now he's in great form but its a big ask for him to do it game after game.

We'll get to see what Uruguay are capable of when they play Russia so far they've scraped past two weak teams.
  • Options
    Well we were warned that lots of jobs would be created in foreign countries because of Brexit.

But the foreign country in this case is the UK:

' An Irish company will set up a Belfast base and create 124 jobs to "future-proof" the UK part of its business against a hard Brexit.

Eirtech Aviation Services is a manufacturing and aircraft repair firm headquartered in Shannon, County Clare.

It is the second company from the Republic of Ireland to recently expand north ahead of the UK's withdrawal from the European Union.

In May, IT firm Teamwork.com said it would hire 100 staff in Belfast. '

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44563979
  • Options
    Anyone remember what was happening on this Thursday night two years ago ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TmUP1StPf0
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So the prevailing theory on Yoon Twitter is that the SNP have bought off Chris Deerin.

That's my day brightened up.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Foxy said:

surby said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

I can't see how the border issue is going to be solved, a while back I thought the backstop fudge would just transpose to the whole of the UK across the Irish sea - but Barnier ruled that out.
    And Weak and Wobbly might sell Northern Ireland out but the DUP won't. I'm intrigued as to how this one will be worked out.

There doesn't need to be a special border rule for Ireland - you can drive from France to England via a train.

The ROI can't afford to police the border so it won't be policed physically.

As it is done now.

I think you have no understanding of the issue.
    The issue is that despite thousands of international borders existing perfectly normally between hundreds of countries the EU is trying to exploit this one to get a deal where it can can have it's cake and eat it too.

Does that about sum it up?
    No. The number of people who have died in living memory over the existence of that border means it is anything but normal. As you know full well.
    How's it any different to any border in Eastern Europe then? Let alone the Middle East etc

Does every former Soviet Union or Yugoslavia state have this cake and eat it solution the EU is seeking?

Though I agree that given the history of bloodshed in Ireland that the EU and Barniers attempt to exploit that and seek to force an NI only solution with checks on Ferries as Barnier put it is utterly reprehensible.
    That is what May signed up to back in December though. We either stick to it or gain a reputation for not keeping our word.

All part of May's short termist tactics.
    No it isn't what May signed up to it. We signed an agreement that there would be neither restrictions in Ireland or within the UK between NI and GB. Barnier promptly disregarded the latter part which his demand for checks on Ferries violates.
This discussion has been closed.