Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If some of the threats we are hearing are carried out then the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If some of the threats we are hearing are carried out then the cabinet could look very different after the weekend

I have a long history of getting bets on the next cabinet exit wrong and of losing a fair bit of money over the years. So I’m reluctant to enter this market at the moment giving all the talk we have been getting today ahead of tomorrow’s critical cabinet meeting at Chequers on the UK’s Brexit policy.

Read the full story here

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    First out the blocks.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    If Esther McVey had any sense of shame or decency she'd quit now.

Irritating isn't it? I'm still smarting from David Gauke not resigning and missing out on the Rudd bet.
  • JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

Maybe you should email her and let her know how much you'll win if she did. I'm sure that'd help her see sense.
    tlg86 said:

Irritating isn't it? I'm still smarting from David Gauke not resigning and missing out on the Rudd bet.
    The worst one was Alastair Carmichael not quitting the cabinet in late 2014.

He cost me about four different bets.

Maybe you should email her and let her know how much you'll win if she did. I'm sure that'd help her see sense.
    It's not about money, call me old fashioned but when a Minister repeatedly misleads the Commons they should quit.
    I reckon I've won one bet this year - Harry not having a shave for his big day.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,743

So staying on then?

It's not about money, call me old fashioned but when a Minister repeatedly misleads the Commons they should quit.
    I'm glad you'll be almost as pleased if she quits second then
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Anyone looking forward to a Liam Fox Off, headline?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Hammersmith Pub to be renamed 'the Trump Arms' next week during the presidential visit by Irish-born landlord Damien Smyth and his New Yorker wife Marian.

Steve Bannon and Nigel Farage have been invited to a welcome party with hot dogs and cheeseburgers and Trump-themed cocktails and costumes and banners and music recreating the atmosphere of a Trump rally.

Tickets cost £32 a head

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/london/pub-renamed-trump-arms-for-presidential-visit-a3879986.html?amp
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2018
    Not just the Labour party that has a problem....

The German government plans to send 170 anti-bullying experts into schools after the summer break to tackle anti-Semitism among children.

"Anti-Semitism in schools is a big problem," Families Minister Franziska Giffey said.
  • surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    I thought May was having separate meetings with key cabinet ministers before tomorrow.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    surby said:

I thought May was having separate meetings with key cabinet ministers before tomorrow.
    Fox was supposedly in the meeting with Johnson and the rest at the FCO. My bet would be that he stays on as a favour to May.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    What happens if people resign at the same time?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    I think this one will be decided on dead heat rules if it’s this weekend. Can’t imagine that one poor bugger does a James Purnell unless he or she is certain others will jump too.
    Karma's brilliant isn't it?

At least three suspected poachers have been mauled to death and eaten by lions after breaking into a wildlife reserve in South Africa.

The men entered the Sibuya Game Reserve on the southeast coast armed with a rifle with a silencer, wire cutters and an axe, and had food supplies "for a number of days", said reserve owner Nick Fox.

He said they bore "all the hallmarks of a gang intent on killing rhino and removing their horns".

https://news.sky.com/story/rhino-poachers-eaten-by-lions-in-south-africa-11427165

Dead heat rules apply I presume
    HYUFD said:

Hammersmith Pub to be renamed 'the Trump Arms' next week during the presidential visit by Irish-born landlord Damien Smyth and his New Yorker wife Marian.

Steve Bannon and Nigel Farage have been invited to a welcome party with hot dogs and cheeseburgers and Trump-themed cocktails and costumes and banners and music recreating the atmosphere of a Trump rally.

Tickets cost £32 a head

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/london/pub-renamed-trump-arms-for-presidential-visit-a3879986.html?amp

Will the pub last another year ?

Dead heat rules kick in.

So if 2 ministers resign on the same day you get half your winnings, if 3 quit, you get a third of your winnings, if 4 quit you get a quarter of your winnings, so on so forth.

Dead heat rules kick in.

So if 2 ministers resign on the same day you get half your winnings, if 3 quit, you get a third of your winnings, if 4 quit you get a quarter of your winnings, so on so forth.
    I know you know, but not totally clear from that that you mean that fraction of winnings including stake
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Anything to stop a cabinet minister from not resigning but instead sending a letter to Graham Brady's postbox?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,764

They've seen it as part of their job, for a long time now.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Anything to stop a cabinet minister from not resigning but instead sending a letter to Graham Brady's postbox?

Collective responsibility?

Dead heat rules kick in.

I know you know, but not totally clear from that that you mean that fraction of winnings including stake
    So if say 4 ministers resign you get 1/4 of your stake back and win 1/4 of your winnings . . . while simultaneously losing 3/4 of your stake?
    edited July 2018

Nope.

Some ministers voted against Thatcher in 1990.
    MaxPB said:

Collective responsibility?
    Does collective responsibility prevent you from sending in a no confidence letter? Also are the letter senders anonymous?
    edited July 2018

Dead heat rules kick in.

So if say 4 ministers resign you get 1/4 of your stake back and win 1/4 of your winnings . . . while simultaneously losing 3/4 of your stake?
    Correct.
    1/4 of your stake would win and 3/4 of your stake would lose.

Dead heat rules kick in.

Yes
    It wouldn’t surprise me if Andrea Jenkyns sent a group letter to Graham Brady with 48 redacted names.
    O/T Macron's ratings collapse suggests that one term is as good as it gets, for a French President.
    Yorkshire is the best accent in the world.

https://twitter.com/BBCLookNorth/status/1014469702561693696
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,545
    Speaking to a city fund manager today who had just returned from a recce trip to Brussels. He was surprised to find that there was a high level of preparedness for no deal - thick manuals for various industrial sectors apparently. He was told that the EU thinks it's far too late to begin talking about a bespoke deal even in the unlikely event of the UK government being able to agree on what it wants to put in such a deal. So it was either no deal, a Canada type FTA with an Irish Sea customs border or full participation in the single market. No other options are practical.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    So if The Government collapses over the weekend, gets No Confidenced Tuesday, Corbyn gets to attempt a minority government and goes to the Palace on Wednesday, then he would be the PM greeting Trump on Thursday.

Almost worth doing for the LOL's!
  • nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    surby said:

"key" being the operative word. Fox's goose is cooked?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    Is anyone offering odds on "No resignations" tommorow ?

I see why she lost her seat now, even as the Tories gained a majority.

Yorkshire is the best accent in the world.

https://twitter.com/BBCLookNorth/status/1014469702561693696

An immigrant though!

Speaking to a city fund manager today who had just returned from a recce trip to Brussels. He was surprised to find that there was a high level of preparedness for no deal - thick manuals for various industrial sectors apparently. He was told that the EU thinks it's far too late to begin talking about a bespoke deal even in the unlikely event of the UK government being able to agree on what it wants to put in such a deal. So it was either no deal, a Canada type FTA with an Irish Sea customs border or full participation in the single market. No other options are practical.

single market was voted down with a massive majority in Parliament.
    edited July 2018
    nunuone said:

I see why she lost her seat now, even as the Tories gained a majority.
    No Green candidate.
    nunuone said:

Not this again... Tying the government’s hands was voted down, but nothing prevents the government from staying in the single market.
    Objecting to freedom of expression? It's political correctness gone mad I tells ye.

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1014933261817171969

nunuone said:

The problem is that we all know what the vote was against, no one knows what it was for.

I compared it to Suez, but Suez was at least well planned on the military side, just incompetently on the political side.
    Foxy said:

So if The Government collapses over the weekend, gets No Confidenced Tuesday, Corbyn gets to attempt a minority government and goes to the Palace on Wednesday, then he would be the PM greeting Trump on Thursday.

What really are the chances of the government collapsing ? May has no ideology or belief. She will pursue any policy which will command a majority in Parliament - if necessary from non Tories.

Objecting to freedom of expression? It's political correctness gone mad I tells ye.

Farage wasn't around when George W Bush visited in 2003.
    dr_spyn said:

Anyone looking forward to a Liam Fox Off, headline?

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Sean_F said:

O/T Macron's ratings collapse suggests that one term is as good as it gets, for a French President.

I think that depends on if the opposition remains as split as it is now.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    FPT 'Ending free movement means no more pensioners retiring to Spain' - not so - the process will change, but other non-EU nationals (such as Americans or Australians) already retire there:

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/guide-to-retiring-in-spain
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    edited July 2018
    Foxy said:

nunuone said:

The problem is that we all know what the vote was against, no one knows what it was for.

I compared it to Suez, but Suez was at least well planned on the military side, just incompetently on the political side.
    that's because the establishment couldn't think of anything positive FOR the EU

all Brexit tells us is the numpties who run the country should have less jurisdiction in our every day lives since they cant organise a piss up in a urinal

• justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Foxy said:

That won't happen - no way the Government would lose a confidence vote on the floor of the Commons.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    Foxy said:
    Ignore Peston, but do pay attention to Kuenssberg would be my suggestion.

FPT 'Ending free movement means no more pensioners retiring to Spain' - not so - the process will change, but other non-EU nationals (such as Americans or Australians) already retire there:

Indeed. It’s up to Spain if they think that having thousands of Brits spending their pensions in their country is a good thing or not.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122

Quite - I know several. The process is more arduous but the current Spanish government is in the process of giving free health provision to all foreign nationals who are resident regardless of age, income, country of origin, etc, etc. I'd expect as this becomes widely known there will be an increase of Brits making the move.

Foxy said:

nunuone said:

all Brexit tells us is the numpties who run the country should have less jurisdiction in our every day lives since they cant organise a piss up in a urinal

I quite agree. The EU has a much better functioning government, but Westminster has now taken back control, with Henry VIII powers in addition.

Hang on to your seats, its going to be a bumpy ride.
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

Tickets cost £32 a head

Will the pub last another year ?
    Given the thousands of pubs in London and the fact that maybe even if only a few hundred thousand Londoners out of 8 million are Trump supporters that is still a lot of potential customers
    Sandpit said:

Indeed. It’s up to Spain if they think that having thousands of Brits spending their pensions in their country is a good thing or not.
    I guess that Spain will continue to welcome younger, fitter pensioners but since they will no longer be eligible for free healthcare all except the very rich will return to the UK in their final years in order to access the NHS.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Foxy said:

The government wouldn't fall, just May.

nunuone said:

Not this again... Tying the government’s hands was voted down, but nothing prevents the government from staying in the single market.
    The amendment to pursue staying in the single market was voted down by 327 votes to 126

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/eu-withdrawal-bill-mps-reject-eea-membership-after-brexit-in-key-vote-11404084
    edited July 2018
    Foxy said:

Then Corbyn would have to deal with Brexit and his just as divided party.

Plus Trump has shown himself ready to deal with Lopez Obrador so no reason he could not deal with Corbyn too

Sandpit said:

I guess that Spain will continue to welcome younger, fitter pensioners but since they will no longer be eligible for free healthcare all except the very rich will return to the UK in their final years in order to access the NHS.
    You are wrong on healthcare - the new government is in the process of giving free healthcare to all foreign nationals resident in Spain of any age.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nunuone said:

I quite agree. The EU has a much better functioning government, but Westminster has now taken back control, with Henry VIII powers in addition.

Probably helped by the fact they hardly have to run anything.
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Plus Trump has shown himself ready to deal with Lopez Obrador so no reason he could not deal with Corbyn too
    Yes, but the prospect of Jezza giving Trump a lesson in Jam making is too good to miss.
    edited July 2018
    Middlesex collapsing. :D
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,876

What will end is the right to retire there. That's quite a big deal.

edited July 2018
    tlg86 said:

Positively Englandesque collapse by the not real county.

From 88/1 to 89/5
    edited July 2018

Nope - the new government in Spain is changing the position on healthcare for all foreign nationals.

https://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/spainnews/18364/government-to-make-healthcare-free-and-universal-again-within-six-weeks.aspx

Apparently they have said they hope the UK government will still pay for pensioners as they do now.

Also the new measure has got all party support.
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nunuone said:

I fear it is. The city contact I mentioned earlier was visibly nervous when talking about the EU's preparations for no deal. The financial community has been unanimously of the view that a no deal outcome was so damaging and stupid that it could not possibly happen. No sane government could possibly contemplate it. But we don't have a sane government, or indeed any government, we have some people in various offices of state but they cannot be said to be governing. If no deal looks like becoming a reality there will be panic in the city and it will not be pretty.

tlg86 said:

Positively Englandesque collapse by the not real county.

From 88/1 to 89/5
    What do you expect - a trans cricket team isn't gonna cut it really :)
    felix said:

Nope - the new government in Spain is changing the position on healthcare for all foreign nationals.

https://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/spainnews/18364/government-to-make-healthcare-free-and-universal-again-within-six-weeks.aspx

Apparently they have said they hope the UK government will still pay for pensioners as they do now.

The new Spanish government - a huge improvement on the previous one - is, unfortunately, not guaranteed to be in power forever. Right now, that does not matter. Once we leave the EU it will.

felix said:

The new Spanish government - a huge improvement on the previous one - is, unfortunately, not guaranteed to be in power forever. Right now, that does not matter. Once we leave the EU it will.

As I said the measure has all party support. Of course nothing is guaranteed forever - except death and taxes.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Yes, but the prospect of Jezza giving Trump a lesson in Jam making is too good to miss.
    Trump might get on better with Corbyn than May. Arguably she is more a polar opposite than he.
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Trump might get on better with Corbyn than May. Arguably she is more a polar opposite than he.
    Quite true - Corbyn and Trump are far closer than appearances would suggest.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Defending champion Muguruza in trouble against Belgian player Alison Van Uytvanck.

There is no 'right to retire' guaranteed by the EU - what the EU guarantees is a 'freedom of movement of labour' - not 'pensioners'. After we've left presumably British retirees will enjoy the same rights as American or Australian ones. People were retiring to Spain before it joined the EU - and will continue to do so after we leave.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nunuone said:

I fear it is. The city contact I mentioned earlier was visibly nervous when talking about the EU's preparations for no deal. The financial community has been unanimously of the view that a no deal outcome was so damaging and stupid that it could not possibly happen. No sane government could possibly contemplate it. But we don't have a sane government, or indeed any government, we have some people in various offices of state but they cannot be said to be governing. If no deal looks like becoming a reality there will be panic in the city and it will not be pretty.
    Perhaps neither side wants a deal.
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

What could Trump possibly have in common with a rable rousing demagogue who spouts meaningless platitudes?

Nope.

Some ministers voted against Thatcher in 1990.
    If a cabinet minister thinks that May is signing the wrong deal then I would imagine sending a letter of no confidence to Graham Brady is surely more likely to result in a change of direction than a resignation.

There is no 'right to retire' guaranteed by the EU - what the EU guarantees is a 'freedom of movement of labour' - not 'pensioners'. After we've left presumably British retirees will enjoy the same rights as American or Australian ones. People were retiring to Spain before it joined the EU - and will continue to do so after we leave.

Of course - the wealthy will notice no real difference. What EU citizenship offers are guarantees of residence and access to services that are not available to Americans and Australians as of right.

• brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

There is freedom of expression - and there is just childishness. Surprising City Hall allowed it.

Surely there are more grown up ways to protest against Trump?L
    edited July 2018
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

No hand holding though. Also pretty sure Jezza wouldn't get dragged into the alpha male, arm wrestling handshake.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    O/T, and especially for the attention of @rcs1000

I've been experiencing very weird behaviour re comments variously showing with a large delay (up to 90 minutes), and no persisting of login on an iphone 8, chrome or safari.

I've seen others make similar comments. Anyone know any solution?
    Mortimer said:
    And you’re ok with the length of time it will take to implement anything like a Canada deal?
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

nunuone said:

Perhaps neither side wants a deal.
    It would be consistent with neither side wanting a Brexit.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Mortimer said:

I've been experiencing very weird behaviour re comments variously showing with a large delay (up to 90 minutes), and no persisting of login on an iphone 8, chrome or safari.

To ensure the comments flow properly make sure you are logged into Vanilla even if you don't intend to post. If you are not registered with Vanilla then do so
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    How gracious of him to seek to settle for what was always his preferred objective.
  • ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    brendan16 said:

There is freedom of expression - and there is just childishness. Surprising City Hall allowed it.

Surely there are more grown up ways to protest against Trump?L
    Freedom of expression means individuals get to decide how childish they want their language to be, not politicians.
    Ah yes, Carswell wants 'controlled' 'Free Movement'

Good luck with that......

Mortimer said:

To ensure the comments flow properly make sure you are logged into Vanilla even if you don't intend to post. If you are not registered with Vanilla then do so
    Thanks Mike.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Speaking of issues that won't go away and both sides struggling to make a deal, I see Silverstone is in trouble again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44728847
    Mortimer said:

I've had the same thing. Log back in and the up to date comment re-appear as if by magic.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Mortimer said:
    But with a customs border along the Irish Sea, which would be anathema to the DUP.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

I'd love it if we got a tweet from Donald along the lines of 'Just met with UK Labor leader Jeremy Corbyn. Great guy. Agree on so much about international/economic affairs. Looking forward to doing business with'.

Mortimer said:

I've had the same thing. Log back in and the up to date comment re-appear as if by magic.
    I tried this from the main site - logins (and comments) just don't seem to persist via chrome/safari on the latest ios, though they used to.

Guess I'll have to switch to the vanilla site on the mobile!

This discussion has been closed.