Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Surely this means that TMay has to sack “Fuck Business” Boris?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Surely this means that TMay has to sack “Fuck Business” Boris?

CABINET COLLECTIVE RESPONSIBILITY RESTORED: LATEST PICTURES

Read the full story here

Comments

• GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    Go Boris! :D
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    FPT:

So she sacks him then?

I guess that will be the real test. If she does, the EU might believe her that this is the best the UK will offer, but if not, then they'll be going for full FOM, CJEU oversight etc.

And they'll get it.
  • FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Sack him and do the job herself.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

kle4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

So Boris is quoted as saying it was a turd at Chequers, and that anyone defending it would be polishing a turd, but is reported to have backed down.

So can we now ask him how he is getting on with his turd polishing?

You can’t polish a turd.

You can, however, roll it in glitter...
    As I am sure has been noted before you can polish a turd, you just end up covered in shit from the attempt.
    Rubbish. Either freeze it or bake it and the task is entirely feasible.
    I suppose in the context of this metaphor that means putting a bad proposal 'on ice' as it were, and giving it time before you start to attempt to polish it. So that explains why the Cabinet Brexiteers have been quiet today.
    edited July 2018
    rpjs said:

FPT:

So she sacks him then?

I guess that will be the real test. If she does, the EU might believe her that this is the best the UK will offer, but if not, then they'll be going for full FOM, CJEU oversight etc.

And they'll get it.

The Times story says he called it a turd at Chequers, but backed down and still supported the statement. So not sackworthy.

I cannot quite figure out whether he has leaked it to try and cover his arse later by at least suggesting he saw it was a bad idea, or if May and co have leaked it to damn him yet further, in that it wasn't just that he backed the deal, he initially didn't and backed down like a coward.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    edited July 2018
    Turd like Boris.

Edit Crap! I thought I had that slot.

Further edit. Boris actually submitted to collective discipline. He said it was a turd, was told that was the policy and so he is now supporting it.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    In defence of Boris he said before the collective responsibility rules were restored.

More interestingly the Sunday Times says shagger Boris has been told he has 48 hours to resign or he can kiss his leadership ambitions goodbye

Also ten more letters to be sent to be Sir Graham Brady.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    kle4 said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

So she sacks him then?

And they'll get it.

The Times story says he called it a turd at Chequers, but backed down and still supported the statement. So not sackworthy.
    And demonstrates how shallow he is and unfit for PM
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Didn’t this predate the showdown?
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    kle4 said:

Boris backed down? Shocker.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Who leaked it? Cui bono?
    Andrew Bridgen has dumped all over Boris

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1015704291997290496

Hope you all listened to me when I told you to keep on laying Boris.

In defence of Boris he said before the collective responsibility rules were restored.

How fortunate for him that they were ever not in place, which we only knew as of yesterday.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    GIN1138 said:

Go Boris! :D

Aka the big fat thrush (Latin name turdus turdus).

• GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695

Didn’t this predate the showdown?

It was AT the showdown! :D
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753
    Just because Boris thinks that the offer is a turd doesn’t mean that he does not accept that it is the best we can do right now. I think we need more clarification of this.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Surely Boris has to go.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    At the moment Rees Mogg has the 'stop this treacherous deal' candidacy ticket in the next Tory leadership contest all to himself. Boris may not complain too much now if May sacks him as he can present himself then as a Brexiteer martyr and give Mogg a run for his money for the hard Brexit ticket
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    What if Brussels turns down Theresa's brexit plan ? Time to pick sides my remain friends ?
    rpjs said:

FPT:

So she sacks him then?

And they'll get it.

No they will get no deal if they refuse this, no question
    On reflection given that Boris apparently did back down, it feels like this might be his opponents leaking his comments on this in an attempt to force him out now that they are told collective discipline is back in vogue. Or at least tie him down, watching to see what his response to the report is, how careful he is, to see if he crosses the line.
    MaxPB said:

Surely Boris has to go.

The answer to the question is usually yes.
    FPT

If England does make it to the final, has anything been said about whether any of our great and good will be attending?

Well the official line is that we'll still maintain our boycott of Russia, that includes politicos and Royals, including the Duke of Cambridge.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Bollocks England game is on ITV.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    Fpt, if England does make it to the final, has anything been said about whether any of our great and good will be attending?

Perhaps a job(by) for the turd polisher.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    BBC presenters’ annual salary report to be published on... Wednesday.
    As Jo Cox once said, a good day to bury bad news....
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/07/bbc-stars-say-broadcaster-humiliating-plans-publish-salaries/
    Sandpit said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/07/bbc-stars-say-broadcaster-humiliating-plans-publish-salaries/

Jo Moore, not Jo Cox.
    Sandpit said:

How convenient.....

Fpt, if England does make it to the final, has anything been said about whether any of our great and good will be attending?

None officially because of the Salisbury poisonings
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    Today's Tesco Strawberry score is a disappointing seven:

Aberdeenshire
    Angus
    Perthshire
    Fife
    Staffordshire
    Cambridgeshire
    Kent

The only point of interest was Northamptonshire joining the list of soft fruit sources with some blueberries.
    edited July 2018

What if Brussels turns down Theresa's brexit plan ? Time to pick sides my remain friends ?

Neither, Because the Political Declaration on the Future Relationship Framework won't be worth the paper it will be printed on. The same applies to any EU "agreement" to the UK position of course, which is why they should agree. (And, edit, the same also applies to the UK position itself)

FPT:
    FF43 said:

Some reflections on the Chequers statement:

1. It is a conjurer's sleight of hand. Theresa May gets people to focus on the future relationship while the critical manoeuvre is the Withdrawal Agreement. The Withdrawal Agreement is a hard treaty arrangement. If we don't follow through we can be hauled in front the Court of Settlements in the Hague, whereas the "Political Declaration on the Future Relationship Framework" that the Chequers statement links to is every bit as vague as it sounds.

2. The Future Relationship Framework declaration can therefore be as fudged as we like. It's never going to be the treaty but negotiators might refer to it in post-Brexit negotiations if they feel like it.

3. Chequers tells us the government will sign the Northern Ireland backstop so the WA goes ahead. The government will hope the FRF will give cover and credibility to their claim the NI backstop will never be used.

4. The EU should welcome Chequers in its normal bland Eurospeak as a basis of of a FRF subject to blahblah if it moves the WA forward, which is what really matters. EU people are usually tactful when they are getting their way but Barnier is a bit of a loose cannon and the sheer number of parties involved increases the possibility of a row blowing up.

5. Brexiteers have weakened their position by not devising a credible alternative plan for Brexit that people can rally around. As a Remoaner I can see why they didn't. Nevertheless it's a problem for them.

6. No-one is thinking strategically: neither the Govt, the EU nor Brexiteers. The focus is entirely on staggering through to March 29 next year.

7. Theresa May is stretching the truth on her red lines. So "The UK and the EU would maintain a common rulebook" actually means the UK doing whatever is in the EU rulebook. The CJEU wouldn't rule on UK cases because it never has done, even when the UK was a member - a common misconception.

edited July 2018

Andrew Bridgen has dumped all over Boris

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1015704291997290496

Hope you all listened to me when I told you to keep on laying Boris.

Bridgen has already endorsed Mogg to succeed May in that article I see

https://twitter.com/davecohencomedy/status/1015700871504592899?s=21

I didn't realise they were all Swedish supporters.
    I now have a potentially annoying conundrum. Next Sunday, 15th, is Mrs Sandpit’s birthday. I never thought that England might be actually playing in the final, and booked a nice restaurant. Thankfully she doesn’t know yet.

So, do I cancel and cook her a steak at home (with the footy on in the background), let it run and hope that either we don’t qualify or they put up a TV to watch the game, or book an hotel for the following weekend (which I have done already, the QEII) and run off to the pub to watch the match?

Funny how sympathies change.

The Croatians have often been referred to as scarcely concealed fascists.

Sandpit said:

Jo Moore, not Jo Cox.
    Yes, Jo Moore. Whoops!
    Sandpit said:

I now have a potentially annoying conundrum. Next Sunday, 15th, is Mrs Sandpit’s birthday. I never thought that England might be actually playing in the final, and booked a nice restaurant. Thankfully she doesn’t know yet.

So, do I cancel and cook her a steak at home (with the footy on in the background), let it run and hope that either we don’t qualify or they put up a TV to watch the game, or book an hotel for the following weekend (which I have done already, the QEII) and run off to the pub to watch the match?

Sounds a bit like the dilemma I had when Mrs May scheduled a general election on my girlfriend's birthday.

It's gonna cost you (both in money and emotional blackmail) if you put something ahead of your partner's birthday.
    That's what you do with them.

You really don't want them up you permanently.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    edited July 2018
    Theresa, just sack the c*nt.
    Sandpit said:

Book the hotel for the football weekend and watch the game drinking champagne as part of a programme of sybaritic luxury that fully involves your wife.
    All this embarrassing stuff about Mrs May betraying Tory members/voters.

This is the hyperbole brought to you by the people who predicted Anna Soubry would be ousted by her association.

How'd that turn out?

Power, unlimited power is what Tories like, especially when Corbyn is the alternative.
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    The monday leave supporting newspapers should be interesting.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Theresa, just sack the c*nt.

Tory mp's just sack Theresa
    edited July 2018
    Of course you can polish a turd.
    Mythbusters say so.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Sandpit said:

Rather depends on whether or not Mrs Sandpit reads PB, doesn't it?
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Fenman said:

Sack him and do the job herself.

Christ, she is bad enough at the one she already has
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230
    Sandpit said:

Take your lovely wife to the nice meal, ignore the football match, and stop complaining... :) Wives are more important than football.
    How does one apply for a Victoria Cross because I deserve one for today.

I wore a morning suit, replete with double breasted waistcoat in 29 degree temperature, you can't get more heroic than that.

This is the hyperbole brought to you by the people who predicted Anna Soubry would be ousted by her association.

How'd that turn out?

Power, unlimited power is what Tories like, especially when Corbyn is the alternative.

I was campaigning in Enfield Southgate this morning and I had a man tell me 'I will not vote Tory again while that woman is in charge after she betrayed the referendum result.'

OK so it was only one man and most people wanted to talk about local issues or the NHS but Leavers who don't like this deal REALLY don't like this deal
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/07/07/brexiteers-hopes-shattered-single-meeting/

On Gove: “His pretensions to being a credible leader have been blown to smithereens,” said one senior Brexiteer. “He’s a busted flush.”

I wore a morning suit, replete with double breasted waistcoat in 29 degree temperature, you can't get more heroic than that.

It's about being heroic in the face of the enemy though - who was the enemy you faced?

I think the George Cross is more realistic - it was bloody sweltering out there today, and very clammy too. I'm at the cricket tomorrow, I hope it is not as bad.
    FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

Book the hotel for the football weekend and watch the game drinking champagne as part of a programme of sybaritic luxury that fully involves your wife.
    I wish that was an option, but sadly it isn’t. She won’t celebrate an event (her birthday) that hasn’t yet happened, it’s seen as bad luck.
    kle4 said:

It's about being heroic in the face of the enemy though - who was the enemy you faced?

I think the George Cross is more realistic - it was bloody sweltering out there today, and very clammy too. I'm at the cricket tomorrow, I hope it is not as bad.
    The bride who said she'd smash a bottle of champagne over the head of anyone who tried to watch the football on their phone.
    Scott_P said:
    And that's what the Brexiteers in Cabinet are waiting to see - will it go further, or is the level pegging of the past 6 months or so just returning to a few Lab leads again?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741

How'd that turn out?

So, given the following choices, which way would you jump:

1) An A50 deal which economically damages the country but keeps the Conservative Party united.

2) An A50 deal which is economically positive for the country but which destroys the Conservative Party.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/07/07/brexiteers-hopes-shattered-single-meeting/

On Gove: “His pretensions to being a credible leader have been blown to smithereens,” said one senior Brexiteer. “He’s a busted flush.”

The ERG seem to think they have 150 members rather than 60 or so. One wonders what they will do in a leadership campaign once their own purist Brexit candidate has ended on the cutting room floor.
    edited July 2018

Who was the enemy you were facing? Because a VC is only given for military bravery in the face of the enemy. Otherwise you’ll be looking at only a George Cross.
    Edit. Damn kle4 beat me to it.
    stodge said:

How'd that turn out?

1) An A50 deal which economically damages the country but keeps the Conservative Party united.

2) An A50 deal which is economically positive for the country but which destroys the Conservative Party.
    But we have been told by plenty of people there is no economically positive deal. So add up those tories who believe that, those who don't believe the negative stories anyway, and suddenly 1) is the only game in town.
    stodge said:

How'd that turn out?

Country before party.
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    And that's what the Brexiteers in Cabinet are waiting to see - will it go further, or is the level pegging of the past 6 months or so just returning to a few Lab leads again?
    If the Brexit right/wrong figures per party are consistent, then Remain has a dramatically bigger lead on those numbers.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    HYUFD said:

None officially because of the Salisbury poisonings
    The ambassador in Moscow?

kle4 said:

The bride who said she'd smash a bottle of champagne over the head of anyone who tried to watch the football on their phone.
    Sounds like you didn't do that, so sorry, I don't think you really faced down the enemy. It's for the best - Lord Ashcroft would just buy it off you anyway.
    AnneJGP said:

Sandpit said:

Rather depends on whether or not Mrs Sandpit reads PB, doesn't it?
    I don’t think she does!!!
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

The Chequers meeting exposed that no ministers and certainly not those directly responsible actually have the faintest idea about what sort of Brexit they want, let alone what is practicable. At best, some of them know what they don't want. Views will likely firm up once ministers have read the Sunday papers.
    edited July 2018
    stodge said:

How'd that turn out?

Most Tories will pick the former, members especially as in my experience a majority are as ideologically pro Brexit as Labour members at the moment are ideologically pro Corbyn socialism.

There are still significant numbers of Remainers and soft Brexiteers in the Tory Party at the moment of course just as there are still many Blairites and centrists in Labour but in neither case do they make up a majority of the current party
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Sounds like you didn't do that, so sorry, I don't think you really faced down the enemy. It's for the best - Lord Ashcroft would just buy it off you anyway.
    I did.

Whilst she thought I was filming her on my phone I had iplayer on.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741

stodge said:

How'd that turn out?

Country before party.
    There's a possibility that come the next GE, as in 1945, the electorate will thank the Conservatives for guiding the country through Brexit out of the EU by dumping them for Corbyn's promises.
    stodge said:

stodge said:

How'd that turn out?

Country before party.
    There's a possibility that come the next GE, as in 1945, the electorate will thank the Conservatives for guiding the country through Brexit out of the EU by dumping them for Corbyn's promises.
    A pretty good chance, I'd say, particularly when you add in the 12 years they'll have been in office.
    stodge said:

stodge said:

How'd that turn out?

Country before party.
    The Conservatives have a clear interest in the next national vote being an EU referendum rather than a General Election, otherwise they will get slaughtered.

It must be the deal versus Remain, and they must stop trying to polish a turd.
    I see Services businesses aren't happy, but any sign that other business sectors think the proposed deal is ok?
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Sandpit said:

If you think it will be another 52 years to wait for an England final, reschedule...
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited July 2018
    Tant pis M. Macron:

https://twitter.com/nicholadrummond/status/1015711881066110976?s=21

Britain on 42% among Republicans - nearly double next nearest, Israel....
    edited July 2018
    kle4 said:

I see Services businesses aren't happy, but any sign that other business sectors think the proposed deal is ok?

They want the full single market and customs union - polar opposite of Brexiteers

CBI have welcomed it

Tant pis M. Macron

More like "tant pis DUP". Great Britain? Has Theresa May given them a heads up about what's coming?
    Scott_P said:
    I don't think that means much especially as it was almost certainly mainly taken before yesterday's proposal from May, if anything her plan mau have reduced that LD and Labour rise in this poll. The polls in a week or two though will be significant, especially to see what Tory Leavers do and if some have moved to UKIP or even Labour
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

Tant pis M. Macron

More like "tant pis DUP". Great Britain? Has Theresa May given them a heads up about what's coming?
    That and your second referendum......
    Re plans for next Sunday....aren't you getting the wrong day...the 3rd/4th playoff is on Saturday ;-)
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited July 2018
    Hang on.

England are in the semis of the world cup.
    Well if it was taken today that is clear Leaver movement to Labour or the LDs as a protest at May's deal I suggest, though not necessarily with much logic behind it. Reinforced by Leavers disapproving of the plans almost as much as Remainers. However I think May can live with just a 2% deficit for now behind Labour
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Huge numbers for don't know. Both sides better get spinning!
    UKIP = Panama?
    edited July 2018
    Boris will be interested to know most voters think he should have resigned and most Leavers think the Chequers deal is a bad deal by a 12% margin although Remainers approve of it by a clear 14% majority.

Overall the voters are split on it and still split on Brexit it seems with less than 5% between Leave and Remain and whether the Chequers plan is a good or bad deal
    Anyone keeping up with events in Thailand? I know there were a few quite knowledgeable people commenting on it the other day. The whole thing seems daunting.
    HYUFD said:

Boris will be interested to know most voters think he should have resigned and most Leavers think the Chequers deal is a bad deal although Remainers approve of it by a clear majority.

Oberall the voters are split in it and still split on Brexit it seems
    A plurality of both Leavers and Remainers say it's the wrong deal for Britain.
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    I don't think that means much especially as it was almost certainly mainly taken before yesterday's proposal from May, if anything her plan mau have reduced that LD and Labour rise in this poll. The polls in a week or two though will be significant, especially to see what Tory Leavers do and if some have moved to UKIP or even Labour
    The poll was done today and the detail polling is shocking for Boris
    kle4 said:

UKIP = Panama?
    UKIP = Germany.

Top dog in 2014 and the way things are going may well make a comeback.
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    The poll was done today and the detail polling is shocking for Boris
    who the bloody hell was answering polling questions today? Everywhere I went it was rammed with people's only concern the footy.
This discussion has been closed.