Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PaddyPower clearly doesn’t understand the CON leadership rules

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PaddyPower clearly doesn’t understand the CON leadership rules

It is perhaps not surprising given the scale of the story at the time was but whenever people think of Conservative leadership contests and disposal of incumbents they look back to 1990 when Mrs Thatcher had to depart.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Could she technically resign and stand? IE Without a confidence vote?
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Jonathan said:

Isn’t that exactly what Major did?
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    FPT
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:
    Max not a good look especially in advance of your wedding.
    What's his wedding got to do with anything ?
    Championing a potentially misogynist sentiment in advance of your own wedding (assuming he is marrying a woman) is I don't think well-judged.
    Does what he said really constitute misogyny?
    I think insulting women because they are women can be seen as misogynist.
    Was he insulting women because they are women?
    He was insulting feminists many of whom are women. People of course dismiss feminism out of hand without thought of the principles behind it like drunk Ukippers even some on here.
    Many Conservatives are women. If someone insults Conservatives does that mean they're insulting women?
    Yeah good hair to split. Even Theresa slapped him down but to you lot he's doing a-ok.
    I never said he's doing a ok. I just thought your logic was awful.

That's a judgement on you. Not Theresa or anyone else.
    Yes you are right. Insulting women, or applauding it, is great prep for a life of wedded bliss.
    Nobody insulted women. The fact you are substituting another word for women just shows you know that insulting women is worse than what was really said. Don't be dishonest.

Any -Ism can and should stand on its own two feet not need to be substituted for another word.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    I think Boris resigns this afternoon.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,910
    rpjs said:

Jonathan said:

Put up or shut up :lol:
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited July 2018
    10/1 on Boris going today looks huge!
    (Or maybe he simply cancelled his engagement to attend COBRA on the Salisbury incident?)
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Good spot Mike.

On the question of a leadership challenge, no one is in control of events. That means that the Conservatives might well wander accidentally into a vote of confidence when no big beast wants one. What would happen after that is hard to judge.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Sandpit said:

Looks like a value bet to me.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2018
    GIN1138 said:

I think Boris resigns this afternoon.

I wouldn't fancy being a Tory minster who has decided that they will also go if Boris goes. All there with your letter and ready to go to war and he could march them up to the top of the hill and then decide that it isn't good for him.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

FPT

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:
    Championing a potentially misogynist sentiment in advance of your own wedding (assuming he is marrying a woman) is I don't think well-judged.
    He was insulting feminists many of whom are women. People of course dismiss feminism out of hand without thought of the principles behind it like drunk Ukippers even some on here.
    Many Conservatives are women. If someone insults Conservatives does that mean they're insulting women?
    Yeah good hair to split. Even Theresa slapped him down but to you lot he's doing a-ok.

Yes you are right. Insulting women, or applauding it, is great prep for a life of wedded bliss.
    Nobody insulted women.
    Is calling a set of women "rabid" insulting or not.
    edited July 2018
    https://order-order.com/2018/07/09/baker-no-10-blindsided-brexiters-briefed-us/

Team May again comes across as a right load of shits. Doesn't seem much has changed since Timothy and co were running the show.
    Sandpit said:

(Or maybe he simply cancelled his engagement to attend COBRA on the Salisbury incident?)

He is attending:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1016298270195437571
    Cynically could it be that PaddyPower do understand the rules but are profiting off the ignorance of punters that don't?

After all if there is a leadership contest and May doesn't stand (As she is ineligible) then all those who bet at 1/2 have lost the bet and PaddyPower wins.

Sandpit said:

He is attending:

I would have thought not attending would be instant sacking, as it is national security issue.
    edited July 2018
    TOPPING said:

FPT

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Nobody insulted women.
    To that set of women yes. To women in general no.

To put it in a way you may understand if I say the Republicans today are rabid that is insulting to Republicans. It is not insulting to Americans. This is a very basic all dogs are animals but not all animals are dogs issue.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    Who's got the Raab's dogsbody job ?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Pulpstar said:

Raab is the dogsbody by the sound of it.
  • JSpringJSpring Posts: 95

Sandpit said:

He is attending:

https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/1016300671270772738
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    S T R O N G A N D S T A B L E
    N O T H I N G H A S C H A N G E D
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2018
    Scott_P said:
    We even now seem to have ITV and the BBC offering conflicting accounts of Boris's movements.

Surely for such a serious meeting that involves relations with Russia potentially one might expect people to know where the Foreign Secretary is?

Where is Boris?
    I haven't been so excited since journalists were live-tracking Priti Patel's plane before she was sacked. Though the football at the weekend was moderately gripping by comparison.
    May should sack Boris right now and make Hague foreign secretary.

TOPPING said:

FPT

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Nobody insulted women.
    To that set of women yes. To women in general no.

To put it in a way you may understand if I say the Republicans today are rabid that is insulting to Republicans. It is not insulting to Americans. This is a very basic all dogs are animals but not all animals are dogs issue.
    First, you said that he hadn't insulted women ("nobody insulted women") and now you at least acknowledge that you were wrong and he did insult women.

And secondly, in this case he seems to have invented a set of opinions, attributed them to "feminists", and then insulted them. If you really don't understand the implications and context of this, then I'm afraid I can't help you further.
    Surely if Boris hasn't gone to COBRA he has to resign now? Or feign a serious illness.

It's either that or be sacked surely?
    edited July 2018
    In the words of Tammy Wynette talking about her hard drinking husband George Jones when he was off on a bender;

"I don't know where Boris is. Even Boris doesn't know where Boris is"

:D
    TOPPING said:

First, you said that he hadn't insulted women ("nobody insulted women") and now you at least acknowledge that you were wrong and he did insult women.

And secondly, in this case he seems to have invented a set of opinions, attributed them to "feminists", and then insulted them. If you really don't understand the implications and context of this, then I'm afraid I can't help you further.

No he did not insult women. I didn't say he did.

Women is a general phrase that refers to 50% of the population. The way you are meaning it means all women. Insulting some women is no more insulting women than insulting Tories is insulting Britons.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,545
    rpjs said:

Jonathan said:

It is. But even if May was reelected under such a process positions on Brexit are now so entrenched that she would be still be unable to make progress. It is not conceivable that the Tory Party can come up with any Brexit deal that will go through Parliament under May or any other leader.
    edited July 2018

Pulpstar said:

Raab is the dogsbody by the sound of it.
    Wonder whether Theresa told Raab the department he's taking over is about to be stripped of it's responsibilities?

If not he might resign later (saying that he took the job under false pretenses)

What's the shortest ever held Cabinet position in history?

Surely if Boris hasn't gone to COBRA he has to resign now? Or feign a serious illness.

How does the PM’s chief of staff not know where the foreign secretary is?

rpjs said:

Jonathan said:

It is. But even if May was reelected under such a process positions on Brexit are now so entrenched that she would be still be unable to make progress. It is not conceivable that the Tory Party can come up with any Brexit deal that will go through Parliament under May or any other leader.
    If only we were three years after the last election at a point where it might be reasonable to call another one. Or had an overall working majority.

May deserves nothing but contempt for what she has done.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Schrodinger's Boris.
    Sandpit said:

This is what a collapsing government looks like?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    Where’s Wally?

Is the Tory party a government or a comedy show?
    dixiedean said:

Schrodinger's Boris.

Can we just not open the box? Win/win.
  • Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Not a good day to be a Tory not-obsessed with Europe ...

Repeat daily x 25 years on and off.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Sometimes I think about writing something comparing the Conservative Party's approach to leadership to the Macedonian concept of kingship in the 4th century BC.
    And I really regret helping Andrea Jenkyns win.

It might have been better if Ed Balls had held on.

https://twitter.com/andreajenkyns/status/1016105706519396352?s=21
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    Jonathan said:

No. A leader who resigns is explicitly barred from the subsequent election. This rule was introduced during Hague's leadership, when the Party adopted its constitution.
    edited July 2018

TOPPING said:

No he did not insult women. I didn't say he did.
    "Nobody insulted women."

Is what you said. Do you think calling feminists obnoxious bigots was not insulting?

Here's the whole thing for interested fans:

FPT

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Nobody insulted women. The fact you are substituting another word for women just shows you know that insulting women is worse than what was really said. Don't be dishonest.

Any -Ism can and should stand on its own two feet not need to be substituted for another word.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,545

rpjs said:

Jonathan said:

If only we were three years after the last election at a point where it might be reasonable to call another one. Or had an overall working majority.

May deserves nothing but contempt for what she has done.
    May inherited a very difficult position. Which she proceeded to make much worse.

But an election now seems likely to produce a very similar result to last time. I don't see how this would help move us forward.

dixiedean said:

Schrodinger's Boris.

Can we just not open the box? Win/win.
    Is the political version of Schroedinger’s cat where you lock the Tory party in a box along with John Redwood? The experiment began in the 90s and the box is only being opened now.
  • Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

Lemmings.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Penny for David Miliband's thoughts...

This is how you organise a coup. Or not.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

Where’s Wally?

Is the Tory party a government or a comedy show?

Why can't it be both? :)
    On topic some bookies also don’t understand understand the rules on impeachment and a successful conviction.

But an election now seems likely to produce a very similar result to last time. I don't see how this would help move us forward.

There would have to be explicit manifestos on both sides, and candidates would have to swear blood oaths
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Sandpit said:

And why would the PM's chief of staff admit to not knowing? Boris is being smoked out.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    On topic, I can only assume that Paddy Power are defining a 'leadership contest' and the combination of the two stages of the VoNC and (contingently) the subsequent election i.e. they would pay out if there's a VoNC and May wins. However, check the rules carefully (I'm at work and can't log in).
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    What the government need to do is wait for England to be winning 3-0 in the World Cup Final, and with a minute of injury time to go, substitute themselves en mass onto the pitch. Boris in goal, May as the captain, and Javid as a mid-fielder.

They can then say they on the world cup final, and they'll have a massive vote.

Can anyone see any flaws in my stunningly cunning plan?

Lemmings.
    I’d be saying a lot more stronger things but then I’m a gentleman and you can’t talk about women like that.

Safe to say she’s a bit Mark Reckless in my eyes.
    edited July 2018
    Trump will appoint Kavanagh QC to the court this evening I think.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211

Andrew Bridgen still tops the list but she’s catching up fast.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957
    Scott_P said:

There would have to be explicit manifestos on both sides, and candidates would have to swear blood oaths
    86.6% of votes in 2017 were for parties pledging to implement Brexit. On manifestoes pledging it would be outside the Customs Union.

The voters might just think these same MPs have already given blood oaths.
  • NormNorm Posts: 1,251

To state the obvious the ultras on both sides of the Tory party are acting as parties within a party. Gove at least has his head screwed on recognising Brexit is better achieved by steady evolution than revolution.

Lemmings.
    I’d be saying a lot more stronger things but then I’m a gentleman and you can’t talk about women like that.

Safe to say she’s a bit Mark Reckless in my eyes.
    Her Tory MP husband sounds like a charmer too.

https://thebristolcable.org/2017/03/ice-cream-wage-scandal/
    Russian fans to back England after Croatian star Domagoj Vida's 'Glory to Ukraine' chant

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/07/09/russian-fans-back-england-croatian-stars-glory-ukraine-chant/
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Scott_P said:

Jeremy would promise 'A workers Brexit, for the many not the few, protecting jobs & living standards and taking us out of the customs union and single market, while negotiating barrier free access to both and enabling his widespread nationalisation plans'. Didn't you know?

86.6% of votes in 2017 were for parties pledging to implement Brexit. On manifestoes pledging it would be outside the Customs Union.

Yeah, they would have to explain it this time.

Brexit means Brexit is not gonna fly.
    Norm said:

To state the obvious the ultras on both sides of the Tory party are acting as parties within a party. Gove at least has his head screwed on recognising Brexit is better achieved by steady evolution than revolution.
    Actually the "revolution" already happened in the polling booths of Britain on 23rd June 2016.

Politics just hasn't caught up yet.
    F1: apparently Gasly got a penalty, so Perez got the final point.
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

What the government need to do is wait for England to be winning 3-0 in the World Cup Final, and with a minute of injury time to go, substitute themselves en mass onto the pitch. Boris in goal, May as the captain, and Javid as a mid-fielder.

Belgium would score 4 goals in under a minute...

Scott_P said:

Jeremy would promise 'A workers Brexit, for the many not the few, protecting jobs & living standards and taking us out of the customs union and single market, while negotiating barrier free access to both and enabling his widespread nationalisation plans'. Didn't you know?
    Yebbut it might get him into office. We are dealing with an electorate in the mood to hear what it wants to hear. All they know at the moment is that the Cons are messing Brexit up England have a chance to get to the World Cup final . Why not give someone else a chance?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

F1: apparently Gasly got a penalty, so Perez got the final point.

I went to Silverstone yesterday. I nearly fell asleep half way through the race. I swear they were all coasting between Stowe and Vale.
    edited July 2018
    Scott_P said:
    Why is Ruth there when she's not an MP?
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    What’s interesting about Raab’s comment is that even May wasn’t particularly pleased by it. Re how many people generally identify as feminists, tbh I think the electorate seem to be weary of nailing their colours to mask on anything and adopting a clear cut label for their beliefs. You rarely get people identifying as left or right wing, most will say they are centrists. Even though quite a few ‘centrists’ I’ve met are clearly ideological in the way they view things, even though they don’t realise it. Their views are often quite conservative, especially on cultural issues, yet they reject being called conservative or right wing.
    Scott_P said:
    Interesting. Javid beats Hunt - the two likeliest to make it through...
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,880
    Scott_P said:
    Dubious about the polling - but what a great graphic to represent who wins and who loses.
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited July 2018
    Scott_P said:

Who were those guys who modelled the World Cup and showed that Germany will win?

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Scott_P said:
    Williamson outperforming expectation by getting on the list.
    Scott_P said:
    I'd be prepared to bet that at least four of those won't even run and quite possibly more.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    IF this tweet re: Boris not showing up is true, then May needs to fire him. Not let him choose the moment of his resignation/pledge of undying loyalty.

Sandpit said:

And why would the PM's chief of staff admit to not knowing? Boris is being smoked out.
    Indeed. One assumes that the Chief of Staff has a contact at Special Branch, and if they don’t know where Boris is then there’s a senior plod getting fired today!
    Mr. 86, be fair, the last quarter was absolutely fantastic.
  • NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    GIN1138 said:

Norm said:

Actually the "revolution" already happened in the polling booths of Britain on 23rd June 2016.

Politics just hasn't caught up yet.
    I'm with you on Brexit. Just disagree on how we get there. Achieving a successful economic Brexit simultaneously with an effective political Brexit is asking too much. Get out of the EU political structures plus the CAP and CFP first, pause for breath as a member of the EEA and sometime down the line consider where we want to go next.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    That YouGov model makes no sense, JRM beats all of the other contenders, but that means there must be a huge shy-JRM contingent among the members because very few are going to vote for him that I know.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    The EU have about three days to compose a coherent response which isn't "Gotcha!", "Nowhere near good enough" , or "Tell us what you want."

I don't honestly think they are capable of doing so. Their response or lack of it may well change the political picture.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Scott_P said:
    Wait, we are hosting this summit but we might not have a Foreign Secretary to take part in it. This is not conducive to being taken seriously by the rest of the world. We need to stop navel-gazing.
    CD13 said:

The EU have about three days to compose a coherent response which isn't "Gotcha!", "Nowhere near good enough" , or "Tell us what you want."

I don't honestly think they are capable of doing so. Their response or lack of it may well change the political picture.

The white paper hasn’t been published yet.
    Norm said:

Achieving a successful economic Brexit simultaneously with an effective political Brexit is asking too much.

But that's what we voted for.

BETRAYAL!!!
    Of course Boris has chosen now to go missing....
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited July 2018
    MaxPB said:

That YouGov model makes no sense, JRM beats all of the other contenders, but that means there must be a huge shy-JRM contingent among the members because very few are going to vote for him that I know.

Well, you're extrapolating from a biased data-set! In my experience the JRM fans are not always the most active campaigners.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

You are Nick Timothy.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

Mr. 86, be fair, the last quarter was absolutely fantastic.

I'd be annoyed if I was Bottas. He might not have won had he pitted, but he'd definitely have made the podium.

If that is the case, then May needs to not just sack him but go nuclear. None of this "asked to resign" BS: get Brenda to dismiss him from office. And strip him of his Privy Council membership too.
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Why is Ruth there when she's not an MP?
    Shush, some of us are laying her for next leader on Betfair.

Scott_P said:
    Wait, we are hosting this summit but we might not have a Foreign Secretary to take part in it. This is not conducive to being taken seriously by the rest of the world. We need to stop navel-gazing.
    The rest of the world stopped taking us seriously on 24th June 2016.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

MaxPB said:

Well, you're extrapolating from a biased data-set! In my experience the JRM fans are not always the most active campaigners.
    I guess that's possible, still don't see how he makes it to the final two or wins the members ballot. I also didn't know YouGov had started doing polls of the members on a regular basis.
    May needs to show her inner Corbyn :>
    Wonder how reliable YouGov are re Tory members - they have a good track record when it comes to polling Labour members.
This discussion has been closed.