Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB voters have become much less enamoured with their leader s

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited July 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB voters have become much less enamoured with their leader since GE2017

The chart above shows the net satisfaction ratings for Jeremy Corbyn from Ipsos MORI in every published poll since the last general election. Note how this was remaining relatively solid until April this year when there was a dramatic drop which has remained.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    Have I stumbled on being first?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    JohnO said:

Have I stumbled on being first?

Yes
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,836
    Bronze for me. Hopefully England will do better.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Awkward...

Last year's list sparked an outcry about gender and ethnic inequality because the top of the list was dominated by white men and because some men were shown to have been paid more than female co-hosts.

Last year, the top seven were all men - this time, it's the top 12.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44779292
    Was 1963 and the Wilson and MacMillan the last time both major parties were led by men who used the same Christian name?

I reckon it is going to happen again with Corbyn and Hunt.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Awkward...

Last year's list sparked an outcry about gender and ethnic inequality because the top of the list was dominated by white men and because some men were shown to have been paid more than female co-hosts.

How many were right and left handed ?

How many were size 9 feet or below ?

How many were Libra or Sagittarius ?

There could be no end to the discrimination at the BBC....
    O/T. How do these figures compare with pre GE figures. Given the performance then, which surprised everyone, even senior Labour figures, it is no surprise that satisfaction was high. But time passes, the agenda changes. May clings on, the Tory electoral coalition remains, thus far, unbroken.
    People remember JC's manifest flaws....
  • grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    edited July 2018
    I get the sense that Corbyn's drifting is intentional, he's slowly allowing himself to float towards the gate marked "bowing out gracefully" in time for our one and true Meme Queen Emily T to take the reins in pounding whatever Mogglodyte shitheel is leading the Tories like a dockside hooker in the next GE.
    TGOHF said:

Awkward...

Well higher pay for Sagittarians is a policy I wholeheartedly endorse.

I get the sense that Corbyn's drifting is intentional, he's slowly allowing himself to float towards the gate marked "bowing out gracefully" in time for our one and true Meme Queen Emily T to take the reins in pounding May like a dockside hooker in the next GE.

The Uk hasn't voted for a fat PM since 1951...
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    I thought the latest Youguv poll for The times was a dead heat 39% for Conservative , 39% for Labour.
    TGOHF said:

Awkward...

Gary Lineker has, whilst working for the BBC, siphoned off the best part of a quarter of a billion pounds of taxpayer money.

That boy has some serious sponging SKILLS.
    dixiedean said:

O/T. How do these figures compare with pre GE figures. Given the performance then, which surprised everyone, even senior Labour figures, it is no surprise that satisfaction was high. But time passes, the agenda changes. May clings on, the Tory electoral coalition remains, thus far, unbroken.

Figures are here.

For comparison here's what the figures were in the early part of 2017

Jan 2017 minus 6%

Feb 2017 minus 9%

March 2017 minus 10%

April 2017 plus 17%

May 2017 plus 23%

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/satisfaction-leaders-amongst-party-supporters

TGOHF said:

Awkward...

Gary Lineker has, whilst working for the BBC, siphoned off the best part of a quarter of a billion pounds of taxpayer money.

Has his pay risen since he grew a beard ? If so why does the BBC discriminate against the clean shaven ?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,002
    edited July 2018

I get the sense that Corbyn's drifting is intentional, he's slowly allowing himself to float towards the gate marked "bowing out gracefully" in time for our one and true Meme Queen Emily T to take the reins in pounding whatever Mogglodyte shitheel is leading the Tories like a dockside hooker in the next GE.

The Guardian of all people said that her position on Brexit at PMQ's was incoherrent and easily taken down by Lidington
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    TGOHF said:

I get the sense that Corbyn's drifting is intentional, he's slowly allowing himself to float towards the gate marked "bowing out gracefully" in time for our one and true Meme Queen Emily T to take the reins in pounding May like a dockside hooker in the next GE.

So, you're saying there's a chance...
    Here's a thought, if the ERG lot don't have the 48 votes to trigger a VONC are we sure they'll be able to get a favoured son or daughter onto the final two for the next Tory leadership contest?
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

The Guardian of all people said that her position on Brexit at PMQ's was incoherrent and easily taken down by Lidington
    Yeah what a shame. Two parties with incoherent policies on Brexit. Labour just needs to hint that it would have done something a bit better than what the Tories will already have done by the time of the next election. Brexit means BINO next March.
    TGOHF said:
    Notice he did not mention remain but the Information Commissioner also referred to the remain campaign.

TBH Labour's creative incoherence over Brexit has served them pretty well this far. Never interrupt your enemy while they're making a mistake and all that.

No need to start a fight in your own house when there's a much more entertaining argy bargy going on next door.

TGOHF said:

Awkward...

And we're going to win the World Cup which makes Lineker the best MOTD presenter since Ken Wolstenholme.
    Dura_Ace said:

TGOHF said:

No - she's too rotund.

Shows why Corbyn so rarely asks about it. It is fiendishly complex, easy to get bogged down in details, as it did today, and not given to sound bites.
    Moreover, virtually no one outside Westminster or this board, (and plenty inside) really understands it.

TBH Labour's creative incoherence over Brexit has served them pretty well this far. Never interrupt your enemy while they're making a mistake and all that.

No need to start a fight in your own house when there's a much more entertaining argy bargy going on next door.
    Trouble for labour is the Government now have a position and Labour do not
    TGOHF said:

Dura_Ace said:

TGOHF said:

No - she's too rotund.

Is this the part where we pretend that Dave wasn't a teeny bit of a porker?

Do you think he only won because he was less fat than Gordon Brown? Because Dave was definitely fatter than EdM.

Or is it done by average fatness of the whole cabinet?
    dixiedean said:

Shows why Corbyn so rarely asks about it. It is fiendishly complex, easy to get bogged down in details, as it did today, and not given to sound bites.
    Moreover, virtually no one outside Westminster or this board, (and plenty inside) really understands it.
    And that includes me on some of the technical detail
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Here's a thought, if the ERG lot don't have the 48 votes to trigger a VONC are we sure they'll be able to get a favoured son or daughter onto the final two for the next Tory leadership contest?

That is my exact thinking and why I asked the question as to whether there is the votes for a hard Brexiter to make the final 2.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Really? £200m+?

Funnily enough I think that's more of a pain for May than Corbyn. May *needs* Labour to back her sordid little compromise or there's no way it's getting through Parliament.

The ERG lot could not even agree on a favoured son or daughter, let alone get them elected.

It could still be Hammond as Brexit converges on what he forecast originally (albeit he was probably just reading a Treasury briefing note). 50/1 with Shadsy and an odds boost if you are lucky.

Who are the grown-ups left? Hunt, Javid, Hammond; who else?
    edited July 2018

Really? £200m+?
    He probably hasn't, but if you add in Crisps, Al-Jazeera, BT-Sport etc, I wouldn't be shocked if he hasn't earned that in total over the past 20 years.

Really? £200m+?
    Ignore me I realised I just factor of tenned Lineker's salary

I thought £17m seemed like a lot of money.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787

You could give the members a choice of Hunt or Soubry.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Really? £200m+?

A rounding error, as the boys in the City say.

Really? £200m+?
    I presume that is working on the assumption he has got a £1 million a year since he started in 1999. He probably hasn't, but if you add in Crisps, Al-Jazeera, BT-Sport etc, I wouldn't be shocked if he hasn't earned even more than that.
    Ah yes, let's never forget this National Treasure has spent most of his twilight years hawking crisps at kids, the little prick.
    Dura_Ace said:

TGOHF said:

Or that Ted Heath doesn't count?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

The ERG lot could not even agree on a favoured son or daughter, let alone get them elected.

It could still be Hammond as Brexit converges on what he forecast originally (albeit he was probably just reading a Treasury briefing note). 50/1 with Shadsy and an odds boost if you are lucky.

Priti
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211

Was 1963 and the Wilson and MacMillan the last time both major parties were led by men who used the same Christian name?

John Major and John Smith.

That is an optimistic call, the conservatives have a firm position ?
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Anybody who thinks Phil "If it moves I am going to tax it" Hammond will be next Tory leader is not on planet reality (in my opinion of course).
    Yorkcity said:

It'll be firmer after the EU gives it a good iron.
    JohnO said:

John Major and John Smith.
    Of course.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It’s the wrong week to be complaining about Gary Lineker’s salary. He’s been hosting some of the most watched television programmes for years.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    "I’m far from convinced that LAB would win a general election if it were to be called in the coming months."

Would? no. Could? Definitely. That also goes for beyond the next few months depending on how Brexit and May's leadership go.

Dura_Ace said:

TGOHF said:

He was reasonably svelte when he was elected...

It’s the wrong week to be complaining about Gary Lineker’s salary. He’s been hosting some of the most watched television programmes for years.

Mark Pougatch is the most valuable man in television on that basis.

TGOHF said:

Dura_Ace said:

TGOHF said:

No - she's too rotund.

Is this the part where we pretend that Dave wasn't a teeny bit of a porker?

Do you think he only won because he was less fat than Gordon Brown? Because Dave was definitely fatter than EdM.

Or is it done by average fatness of the whole cabinet?
    Chubby is probably fine - but being obese suggests you can't control yourself. Not PM material. The Uk public notes these sort of things.

edited July 2018

You could have put Winnie the Pooh in his chair and the viewership would have been the same.

I think he does a perfectly ok job presenting, but BBC and ITV sports coverage is still stuck in the 20th Century*. The analysis is very poor in comparison to say Gary Neville on Sky (why ITV thought it was a great idea to pay for Gary Neville, then not give him an interactive board is beyond me).

* other than we have now gone to 4 in the studio, 2-3 pitchside and 2 commentators for every game....which is like watching CNN news where you learn nothing because everybody only get 5s to make their point before they move onto the next person.

I mean, that's a weird argument. I don't think people are tuning in to the world cup just because they're massive fans of Walkers Cheese and Onion.
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    This exchange is a keeper from these two Graduates of the Charm School...

–––

grabcocque said:
    I get the sense that Corbyn's drifting is intentional, he's slowly allowing himself to float towards the gate marked "bowing out gracefully" in time for our one and true Meme Queen Emily T to take the reins in *pounding May like a dockside hooker* in the next GE.

The Uk hasn't voted for a *fat PM* since 1951...
    Flag Quote · Off Topic

–––

Just gallantry at its finest from a couple of silver-tongued rakes on PB.
    On another sport, I'm almost the same age and height; and do look a bit like Roger Federer. Unfortunately I don't have his talent at tennis.
    Anazina said:

–––

grabcocque said:
    I get the sense that Corbyn's drifting is intentional, he's slowly allowing himself to float towards the gate marked "bowing out gracefully" in time for our one and true Meme Queen Emily T to take the reins in *pounding May like a dockside hooker* in the next GE.

Flag Quote · Off Topic

–––

Hey, "pounded like a dockside hooker" used to be a TSE regular. I just ran with it.

Anazina said:

–––

grabcocque said:

Flag Quote · Off Topic

–––

Hey, "pounded like a dockside hooker" used to be a TSE regular. I just ran with it.
    Have a look around the room, you might find your own mind lying around somewhere.
    Anazina said:

–––

grabcocque said:

Flag Quote · Off Topic

–––

Ah - attack the messenger as you can't argue with the reality. With a bit of virtue signalling thrown in for added SJW points..

Pulpstar said:

On another sport, I'm almost the same age and height; and do look a bit like Roger Federer. Unfortunately I don't have his talent at tennis.

Is that a humble brag on the looks front / hit with the ladies?
    Yorkcity said:

Come on - I didn't say firm !!!!!
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881

You could have put Winnie the Pooh in his chair and the viewership would have been the same.

I think he does a perfectly ok job presenting, but BBC and ITV sports coverage is still stuck in the 20th Century*. The analysis is very poor in comparison to say Gary Neville on Sky (why ITV thought it was a great idea to pay for Gary Neville, then not give him an interactive board is beyond me).

* other than we have now gone to 4 in the studio, 2-3 pitchside and 2 commentators for every game....which is like watching CNN news where you learn nothing because everybody only get 5s to make their point before they move onto the next person.
    Agree Neville's analysis is very good, but you have to remember most football fans, especially at a world cup time which brings in a wider audience, aren't that interested in detailed analysis. They don't want an interactive board.

We do know that they have the votes to trigger a VoNC - that's simply a question of numbers. The fact that there hasn't been such a vote however means that quite a lot of them don't want one right now, for whatever reasons. And yes, one of those reasons may well be that they don't think they'd get a candidate onto the members' ballot paper. I think they'd be right in that assessment. The MPs won't vote just on brexit stance but on all sorts of factors, including the traditional ones of experience and demonstrated capability in office. If JRM was to stand, it's far from obvious that the majority, never mind all, of the ERG would back him - and even if they did, he'd still struggle to make the final two.
    edited July 2018
    rkrkrk said:

Agree Neville's analysis is very good, but you have to remember most football fans, especially at a world cup time which brings in a wider audience, aren't that interested in detailed analysis. They don't want an interactive board.
    I doubt they want input from up to 10 people per game either. I think presenter plus a couple in the studio is more than enough outside of the live coverage.

Also, they could offer an analysis in the highlights shows in the evening....they do, but its rubbish.
    TGOHF said:

Dura_Ace said:

TGOHF said:

I do not think , it would have stopped John Smith getting elected.
    TGOHF said:

Chubby is probably fine - but being obese suggests you can't control yourself. Not PM material. The Uk public notes these sort of things.

I wonder why it isn't an issue for US electorates who were happy to elect a morbidly obese wotsit.

Or German electorates, for that matter. I bet Merkel's boobs probably weigh more than Macron.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    ICM:

CON: 41% (-)
    LAB: 39% (-1)
    LD: 9% (-)
    UKIP: 4% (+1)
    GRN: 3% (-)
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Really? £200m+?

The terrifying thing is that most of us prohably just thought - meh!
    TGOHF said:

How many options has it been given? I can't think of a fat post-war LotO who didn't make PM. Possibly Smith but the country never got the chance to vote for him (and he probably would have won anyway).
    Anazina said:

–––

grabcocque said:

Flag Quote · Off Topic

–––

Agree with you - I have been critical over a long time on the unnecessary use of language and how it defeats the argument of the person making it
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

We do know that they have the votes to trigger a VoNC - that's simply a question of numbers. The fact that there hasn't been such a vote however means that quite a lot of them don't want one right now, for whatever reasons. And yes, one of those reasons may well be that they don't think they'd get a candidate onto the members' ballot paper. I think they'd be right in that assessment. The MPs won't vote just on brexit stance but on all sorts of factors, including the traditional ones of experience and demonstrated capability in office. If JRM was to stand, it's far from obvious that the majority, never mind all, of the ERG would back him - and even if they did, he'd still struggle to make the final two.
    What are your thoughts if Suella Braverman stood? Would she get the universal backing of the ERG?

Anazina said:

–––

grabcocque said:

Flag Quote · Off Topic

–––

Agree with you - I have been critical over a long time on the unnecessary use of language and how it defeats the argument of the person making it
    I will have you know that swearing is both big AND clever.

Anazina said:

–––

grabcocque said:

Flag Quote · Off Topic

–––

For you maybe

Pulpstar said:

Is that a humble brag on the looks front / hit with the ladies?
    My other half would like a good sized yard in the Alps.

What are your thoughts if Suella Braverman stood? Would she get the universal backing of the ERG?
    She would need a lot more than the ERG group

Yorkcity said:

True , you have been very fair IMO.

I hope May can get the deal done, even if it needs opposition assistance.

TGOHF said:

How many options has it been given? I can't think of a fat post-war LotO who didn't make PM. Possibly Smith but the country never got the chance to vote for him (and he probably would have won anyway).
    Gordon Brown. Who was also slovenly.

Suggest that political parties at least subconsciously tend not to put up corpulent types either as it's a big risk.

Or that contenders go on a diet as the prize comes in sight.

TGOHF said:

I wonder why it isn't an issue for US electorates who were happy to elect a morbidly obese wotsit.

Or German electorates, for that matter. I bet Merkel's boobs probably weigh more than Macron.
    The gallantry just keeps on coming.
    Yorkcity said:

TGOHF said:

Dura_Ace said:

TGOHF said:

I do not think , it would have stopped John Smith getting elected.
    John Smith is one of the most overrated politicos of our age - he was a bald Gordon Brown.

TGOHF said:

Anazina said:

–––

grabcocque said:

Flag Quote · Off Topic

–––

Ah - attack the messenger as you can't argue with the reality. With a bit of virtue signalling thrown in for added SJW points..

Virtue signalling and SJW in the same sentence. Wow. The alt-right lives!
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Really? £200m+?

You are Diane Abbott and I claim my £5.
    edited July 2018

TGOHF said:

The Uk has higher sartorial standards ?

Anazina said:

–––

grabcocque said:

Flag Quote · Off Topic

–––

Indeed, it has been part of the PB vocabulary since 2007.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    dixiedean said:

That explains the slow drift down until March, but something more sudden appears to have changed from March to April.

I would rather it was because of the antisemitism, rather than backing the Customs Union, because of my respective views on the two subjects. It's hard to tell.

Either way it does look like some actual damage occurred and so this makes it less likely that Corbyn will recover the lost ground in a GE campaign as his supporters believe.
    @grabcoque - What happened to your twitter account?

I miss it.
    edited July 2018

Anazina said:

–––

grabcocque said:

Flag Quote · Off Topic

–––

It's fucking NOT.
    edited July 2018
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Thanks - I have been on a journey these last few weeks triggerred by Boris unacceptable FO to Airbus ( my son in law is a senior engineer for them travelling backwards and forwards through France, Germany and Spain ) and his comments and behaviour before and since has been shameful. He, more than anyone, has turned me against the hard Brexiteers to the point that for me TM deal is the deal I support to fulfill the referendum and if the hard Brexiteers frustrate the process to a hard Brexit I would strongly campaign to remain.

It goes without saying that as a member I will not vote for a hard Brexiteer including Boris and JRM

And I try to be honest and not abusive
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,282
    Corbyn's problem is that his greatest asset is becoming his biggest weakness. Where he's different to previous standard bearers of the hard left, like his mentor Tony Benn, is that he doesn't follow through on the logic of his beliefs and include the potentially unpopular or negative consequences or corollaries to them. He's really a 'Declarative Socialist' whose lodestar is socialism not because he understands the mechanics but because he believes it a cure-all. Every Corbyn speech takes the format of stating a societal or global ill, declaring he'll solve it and then to paraphrase Elvis Costello, saying: "What's so funny about (peace love and understanding) that?". That's served him well as it's why his internal and external enemies have never quite got to grips with him. He's difficult to cast as the ogre because he only declares himself for nice things - even when the logical consequences of his actions are vile or awful. It's what runs through his actions on everything from Syria, to Brexit and anti-Semitism. He'll declare himself in favour of something objectively good - peace, Brexit without any of the negatives, broad anti-racism - without examining the complexities of the issue and why the answer might be a bit more complicated than having a well meaning socialist in charge.

That so far has been an asset. He's mostly been able to brush off even profoundly justified attacks by being vague and asserting his belief in his own moral virtue. However, eventually, even as an opposition leader you begin to be judged on the consequences of your actions and what you've actually achieved. We're getting to that stage with both Brexit and anti-Semitism - where even some of the faithful are beginning to get a bit tired of the magic grandpa act and ask what the actual plan is. On anti-Semitism even those who are mildly sympathetic towards the left of the party are beginning to see that he's hugely responsible, both through inaction and his actions, for the racist filth polluting the party. On Brexit they're starting to question why there's a vacuum when we need some form of alternative strategy to the chaos among the Tories - whether it's EEA/EFTA soft Brexit or revisiting the vote in the wake of two years of ballsing it up. We're not quite there yet, but he's getting to the point now where he's led the party long enough to have put his stamp on it and have made a difference, and people are going to start asking where's the beef?

Anazina said:

–––

grabcocque said:

Flag Quote · Off Topic

–––

Time to retire it perhaps? It's a charmless and ugly phrase. Misogynist and beneath you.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Anorak said:

Anazina said:

–––

grabcocque said:

Flag Quote · Off Topic

–––

It's fucking NOT.
    Touché.

Suppose Liz Truss becomes PM - when would be the last time that Monarch and PM shared a first name?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

–––

grabcocque said:

Flag Quote · Off Topic

–––

Time to retire it perhaps? It's a charmless and ugly phrase. Misogynist and beneath you.
    Then how can we properly express what Ramos did to Liverpool in the Champions League final?

Anybody who thinks Phil "If it moves I am going to tax it" Hammond will be next Tory leader is not on planet reality (in my opinion of course).
    It's like the World Cup. Three weeks ago everyone said England would be lucky to get past the round of 16 and Croatia has a smaller population than Scotland. Yet here we are.

So who will be the semi-finalists in the Tory leadership betting? The Chancellor, Home Secretary and Foreign Secretary, and who? Not who do you like or who would you vote for or even (thanks to this thread) who ate all the pies but who has a solid defence, creative midfield and a top striker? Who will the draw open up for? Hunt maybe? I don't know if anyone had the foresight to tip him at 100/1 when Hunt was at Health but now he is in one of the great offices of state and will shake hands with The Donald. If I were a lady Cabinet minister's SpAd I might advise her to polish up her twitter feed and take elocution lessons but is there another bloke in the running?
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

The Uk has higher sartorial standards ?

In Merkel's case, I think her heft comes across as matronly rather than slovenly.

In the case of Trump, his supporters are all fucking mental so who knows.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Can't recall Darren Jones getting worked up about those unusual referendum papers in his home city.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/30/bristol-council-withdraws-eu-referendum-leaflet-unfair-remain-graphic
    MJW said:

Corbyn's problem is that his greatest asset is becoming his biggest weakness. Where he's different to previous standard bearers of the hard left, like his mentor Tony Benn, is that he doesn't follow through on the logic of his beliefs and include the potentially unpopular or negative consequences or corollaries to them. He's really a 'Declarative Socialist' whose lodestar is socialism not because he understands the mechanics but because he believes it a cure-all. Every Corbyn speech takes the format of stating a societal or global ill, declaring he'll solve it and then to paraphrase Elvis Costello, saying: "What's so funny about (peace love and understanding) that?". That's served him well as it's why his internal and external enemies have never quite got to grips with him. He's difficult to cast as the ogre because he only declares himself for nice things - even when the logical consequences of his actions are vile or awful. It's what runs through his actions on everything from Syria, to Brexit and anti-Semitism. He'll declare himself in favour of something objectively good - peace, Brexit without any of the negatives, broad anti-racism - without examining the complexities of the issue and why the answer might be a bit more complicated than having a well meaning socialist in charge.

That so far has been an asset. He's mostly been able to brush off even profoundly justified attacks by being vague and asserting his belief in his own moral virtue. However, eventually, even as an opposition leader you begin to be judged on the consequences of your actions and what you've actually achieved. We're getting to that stage with both Brexit and anti-Semitism - where even some of the faithful are beginning to get a bit tired of the magic grandpa act and ask what the actual plan is. On anti-Semitism even those who are mildly sympathetic towards the left of the party are beginning to see that he's hugely responsible, both through inaction and his actions, for the racist filth polluting the party. On Brexit they're starting to question why there's a vacuum when we need some form of alternative strategy to the chaos among the Tories - whether it's EEA/EFTA soft Brexit or revisiting the vote in the wake of two years of ballsing it up. We're not quite there yet, but he's getting to the point now where he's led the party long enough to have put his stamp on it and have made a difference, and people are going to start asking where's the beef?

Lovely comment.

Although I do think a lot of the first paragraph can be explained by him being rather dim.
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

–––

grabcocque said:

Flag Quote · Off Topic

–––

It was a term that was use on the Guardian OBO.

Plus I think you're showing off your misogyny, dockside hookers can be male as well as female, as well as gender fluid people.
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

–––

grabcocque said:

Flag Quote · Off Topic

–––

It might be charmless and misogynistic, but it clearly isn't beneath him. Unlike the aforementioned...

No. I doubt that the ERG is capable of acting as a block anyway but certainly not in favour of a very junior minister in her 30s, only three years an MP, and who didn't resign alongside David Davis.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    New York Times take on Boris:

"Britain is in this mess principally because the Brexiteers — led largely by Mr. Johnson — sold the country a series of lies in the lead up to the June 2016 referendum on leaving the European Union. They did so because neither Mr. Johnson nor his fellow leader of the Leave campaign, Michael Gove, intended, wanted or expected to win."
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/10/opinion/boris-johnson-resignation-brexit.html
    Plus I'm the PB thread writer that put 'Cummingtonite' into the opening of a thread header though nothing will ever top Alastair's thread about gay sex in Turkey.

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

–––

grabcocque said:

Flag Quote · Off Topic

–––

It was a term that was use on the Guardian OBO.

Plus I think you're showing off your misogyny, dockside hookers can be male as well as female, as well as gender fluid people.
    Whatever gets you through the night.

Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Thanks - I have been on a journey these last few weeks triggerred by Boris unacceptable FO to Airbus ( my son in law is a senior engineer for them travelling backwards and forwards through France, Germany and Spain ) and his comments and behaviour before and since has been shameful. He, more than anyone, has turned me against the hard Brexiteers to the point that for me TM deal is the deal I support to fulfill the referendum and if the hard Brexiteers frustrate the process to a hard Brexit I would strongly campaign to remain.

It goes without saying that as a member I will not vote for a hard Brexiteer including Boris and JRM

And I try to be honest and not abusive
    To your credit you always are.

Best regards .
This discussion has been closed.