Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Video Analysis. Brexit: How We Got Here & What We Want

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    May says she is in it for the long haul in answer to whether she will stand and fight a no confidence vote
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    Marr not understanding the Conservative Leader process “will you stand”.....
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    There is no Brexit that can deliver what those who voted for Brexit were told they would get. Choices have to be made. If reducing immigration is the priority then there is an economic and fiscal price to pay for that. And vice versa. Surely there are Brexiteer politicians out there who are willing to level with voters on this. Isn't it time to trust the people?
  • Options
    May also says Trump told her to sue the EU which was the advice she refused
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

maaarsh said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

Unfortunately I am not able to view video at the moment so apologies if my general remarks repeat what you say or are irrelevant to it.

Empirically, membership of the European Union is best for the UK. It's multilateral, which suits a medium powered country that wants to spread its influence. We're at the table helping to shape decisions in our interest. It's a collective of liberal democracies like us, it promotes the rule of law as we want to do and it's in Europe - our continent. This translates into useful programmes, greater prospects and more trade and more prosperity than we would otherwise have.

If these are things we want, it goes without saying that we will get far less of them after Brexit.

It shouldn't need saying, but unfortunately we do need to say it, because there is widespread denial about the consequences of Brexit. We won't get what we want, I suggest, because we had it but rejected it. It will instead be a messy distracting decade of damage limitation.

We had want we wanted but the Brussels fanatics with their ongoing drive for integration fucked it all up
    “We had what we wanted.”

One of the few true things you’ve said of late.
    That is offensive and inaccurate.

You may disagree with me - that is your right - but i never lie
    That's a little pompous and over-sensitive. There's a wide range of statements which fall between being true, and being a lie. You need to add intent to falsehood to make a lie, and there's no such accusation in the post you responded to.
    Gardenwalker has a history of accusing me of lying without providing evidence

My reputation and brand depends on honesty
    Never knew you had a brand, can we expect to see adverts on our screens soon?
    By chance my name is the brand of my brother’s business. But no: it doesn’t advertise.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,297
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

30 to 45 letters in to Brady for a No Confidence vote in May already according to Amanda Platell based on her sources in the Tory Party.

To be fair they need to put up or shut up. I have no problem with a VNOC
    We are heading for a Major 'back me or sack me' vote soon I think
    She is poor on Marr and looks shattered. I have no idea what happens next
    To be fair to May I do like her personally despite my deep reservations over this deal, she deserves a chance to try and get something from the EU.

May also confirmed it is non negotiable we will end free movement and leave the customs union.

She also says her mobility plans will not be free movement but based on specific business needs
    I haven't see Marr but I don't think many would doubt that May is doing her very best in a very difficult situation.

With hindsight the Tories really should have sorted some of these issues out once she had lost the majority in the election and either gone hard Brexit with full preparation or soft Brexit under someone like Hammond who did not have her baggage. The failure to make a decision is in itself a decision and allowing May to stagger on putting every hard question off for another day was a succession of poor decisions by the party. But we are where we are and now have to live with the consequences of failing to decide.
  • Options
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Charles said:

maaarsh said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

Unfortunately I am not able to view video at the moment so apologies if my general remarks repeat what you say or are irrelevant to it.

Empirically, membership of the European Union is best for the UK. It's multilateral, which suits a medium powered country that wants to spread its influence. We're at the table helping to shape decisions in our interest. It's a collective of liberal democracies like us, it promotes the rule of law as we want to do and it's in Europe - our continent. This translates into useful programmes, greater prospects and more trade and more prosperity than we would otherwise have.

If these are things we want, it goes without saying that we will get far less of them after Brexit.

It shouldn't need saying, but unfortunately we do need to say it, because there is widespread denial about the consequences of Brexit. We won't get what we want, I suggest, because we had it but rejected it. It will instead be a messy distracting decade of damage limitation.

We had want we wanted but the Brussels fanatics with their ongoing drive for integration fucked it all up
    “We had what we wanted.”

That's a little pompous and over-sensitive. There's a wide range of statements which fall between being true, and being a lie. You need to add intent to falsehood to make a lie, and there's no such accusation in the post you responded to.

Never knew you had a brand, can we expect to see adverts on our screens soon?
    By chance my name is the brand of my brother’s business. But no: it doesn’t advertise.
    Thanks for the clarification
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

May says she is in it for the long haul in answer to whether she will stand and fight a no confidence vote

May doesn’t have an option. In a no confidence vote of course she’s “standing” - if she loses, she can’t stand in the consequent election....
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    edited July 2018
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

The Sunday press does not read well for May. She is very isolated. With a couple of resignation speeches looming and the distraction of the World Cup behind us she will do well to survive the week intact.

Meanwhile, if it does come to that, wondering who the Stop Boris candidate will be.

I am underwhelmed by her proposals .... It can't be a fun position to be in.

How does this deal - or any deal - get signed off, though?

I think that there will be enough pragmatists, even if pretty unhappy ones, to force it through the Commons.

I simply look at my own position. I am not thrilled, to put it politely, with the extent to which we are committing ourselves to keep all existing EU based laws and, even worse, commit ourselves to enacting all future laws that impinge on the Single Market as a condition of a FTA.

I am not comfortable with how the interpretation of those laws will in fact be in the control of the CJE and UK Courts will have to follow their guidance. We will effectively have a shadow legal system where a lot of the important decisions are made elsewhere and this is particularly concerning when one considers how the CJE has consistently made additional land grabs for the EU giving legislation passed its widest possible effect rather than seeking to construe it narrowly as UK courts tend to do with our legislation.

But TINA. If I was in the Commons I would vote for the proposal through gritted teeth.

Labour will whip its MPs to vote against any deal May gets. So the Tories will be relying on their loons to come into line.

I am not saying that there is no risk but Labour will have to decide between May's deal and no deal. I seriously doubt that they will be able to whip all their MPs to oppose if that is the alternative.
    Wrong. We are inexorably moving towards a second vote - the makeup of it is the only decision for Parliament.

I would like two votes on separate ballot papers:

1. "With the agreement we have reached with the EU........do you support the UK to REMAIN in the EU or LEAVE the EU"

If and only if the above results in a LEAVE vote

2. Do you support the agreement the UK has reached with the EU or do you support to leave the EU without any agreement ?

The Moggsters will, of course, vote LEAVE in (1) and no deal in (2).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Esther McVey and Penny Mordaunt on 'resignation suicide watch' according to paper review on Marr

Part of the second wave, once Brussels responds.

If Brussels ays "OK, OK, you can have the White Paper as Brexit", then they can all claim they played their part in facing down the Eurocracy. Anyone think that is going to happen though?
    Barnier is playing for time but I expect a 'Non Madame May' in due course much as De Gaulle refused Macmillan's EEC entry plans almost half a century ago, at least as far as a FTA goes
    In which case, her handling of the 2018 White Paper will prove to be be even more disatrous than her handling of the 2017 Manifesto.....
    She may though still be able to get a transition deal but the party will demand it is ended by December 2020 if no FTA confirmed by then

There will be no FTA by then. But we will have left the EU. We could find that this satisfies the vast majority of people and that a lot of the current noise dies down as a result. I suspect that is May's gamble. Once we leave on 29th March 2019, the referendum result will have been unquestionably delivered. What happens next will largely be seen as detail as long as there are symbolic wins - blue passports, etc.

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    May did well on Marr.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

30 to 45 letters in to Brady for a No Confidence vote in May already according to Amanda Platell based on her sources in the Tory Party.

To be fair to May I do like her personally despite my deep reservations over this deal, she deserves a chance to try and get something from the EU.

May also confirmed it is non negotiable we will end free movement and leave the customs union.

She also says her mobility plans will not be free movement but based on specific business needs
    I haven't see Marr but I don't think many would doubt that May is doing her very best in a very difficult situation.

With hindsight the Tories really should have sorted some of these issues out once she had lost the majority in the election and either gone hard Brexit with full preparation or soft Brexit under someone like Hammond who did not have her baggage. The failure to make a decision is in itself a decision and allowing May to stagger on putting every hard question off for another day was a succession of poor decisions by the party. But we are where we are and now have to live with the consequences of failing to decide.
    The problem is the EU will delay and prevaricate.

Whether May or Hammond led the party soft Brexit would never be easy to agree with the EU in a way the party and its voters and mbers would accept which means longer term we have to also be prepared for hard Brexit
  • Options
    surby said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

The Sunday press does not read well for May. She is very isolated. With a couple of resignation speeches looming and the distraction of the World Cup behind us she will do well to survive the week intact.

Meanwhile, if it does come to that, wondering who the Stop Boris candidate will be.

I think that there will be enough pragmatists, even if pretty unhappy ones, to force it through the Commons.

I simply look at my own position. I am not thrilled, to put it politely, with the extent to which we are committing ourselves to keep all existing EU based laws and, even worse, commit ourselves to enacting all future laws that impinge on the Single Market as a condition of a FTA.

I am not comfortable with how the interpretation of those laws will in fact be in the control of the CJE and UK Courts will have to follow their guidance. We will effectively have a shadow legal system where a lot of the important decisions are made elsewhere and this is particularly concerning when one considers how the CJE has consistently made additional land grabs for the EU giving legislation passed its widest possible effect rather than seeking to construe it narrowly as UK courts tend to do with our legislation.

But TINA. If I was in the Commons I would vote for the proposal through gritted teeth.

Labour will whip its MPs to vote against any deal May gets. So the Tories will be relying on their loons to come into line.

I am not saying that there is no risk but Labour will have to decide between May's deal and no deal. I seriously doubt that they will be able to whip all their MPs to oppose if that is the alternative.
    Wrong. We are inexorably moving towards a second vote - the makeup of it is the only decision for Parliament.

1. "With the agreement we have reached with the EU........do you support the UK to REMAIN in the EU or LEAVE the EU"

2. Do you support the agreement the UK has reached with the UK or do you support to leave the EU with no deal ?

Care to set out a timetable for these two referendums in the remaining time available?
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Revelations today re Andrew Griffiths could lead to by-election as the people of Burton and Uttoxeter may object to having a depraved pervert as an MP.Tories have a 20% lead to defend from Labour.Hard ask for Labour unless ukip starts to cream off Tory votes but a potentially tricky by-election is all May and the Tories need right now.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Esther McVey and Penny Mordaunt on 'resignation suicide watch' according to paper review on Marr

If Brussels ays "OK, OK, you can have the White Paper as Brexit", then they can all claim they played their part in facing down the Eurocracy. Anyone think that is going to happen though?
    Barnier is playing for time but I expect a 'Non Madame May' in due course much as De Gaulle refused Macmillan's EEC entry plans almost half a century ago, at least as far as a FTA goes
    In which case, her handling of the 2018 White Paper will prove to be be even more disatrous than her handling of the 2017 Manifesto.....
    She may though still be able to get a transition deal but the party will demand it is ended by December 2020 if no FTA confirmed by then

There will be no FTA by then. But we will have left the EU. We could find that this satisfies the vast majority of people and that a lot of the current noise dies down as a result. I suspect that is May's gamble. Once we leave on 29th March 2019, the referendum result will have been unquestionably delivered. What happens next will largely be seen as detail as long as there are symbolic wins - blue passports, etc.

I agree on that.

The key date now is no longer what happens in March 2019 but what has happened by December 2020 and the mood of the public and Tory voters and members and MPs then
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    JackW said:

And the umpire is Junker.

"Are we taking drinks?"
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

May also says Trump told her to sue the EU which was the advice she refused

Trump also said I know a personal lawyer..............
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,296
    Tom Watson hedging his bets on supporting Chequers on Sophy Ridge on Sunday
  • Options
    surby said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

2. Do you support the agreement the UK has reached with the EU or do you support to leave the EU without any agreement ?

Nothing is impossible in the current situation but I think a second referendum with a question about remain or leave is a good working approximation.
  • Options

Revelations today re Andrew Griffiths could lead to by-election as the people of Burton and Uttoxeter may object to having a depraved pervert as an MP.Tories have a 20% lead to defend from Labour.Hard ask for Labour unless ukip starts to cream off Tory votes but a potentially tricky by-election is all May and the Tories need right now.

As there is no recall power in the UK they can object all they like but unless Griffiths stands down there will be no by election
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Tom Watson worries about the manufacturing in his constituency
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I heard that a few days ago

On reflection I am more relaxed about Brexit and have no idea whether TM survives, or there is a leadership election, but it is obvious that everything is at deadlock and there is no possible way of seeing how this pans out between now and October

As a matter of interest did you catch up on the Airbus report in the business section of the guardian
    I have just read it, Airbus clearly welcomes the Chequers Deal but what they really want is to ensure there is a transition deal if we leave the single market and customs union which May's plan makes more likely even if it is ultimately hard Brexit. Also seems Airbus is more likely to move work to China than the EU if it moves put of the UK so the EU would get little benefit from an Airbus departure.

Also note Broughton where the Airbus plant is is in Flintshire which voted 56% Leave
    Thanks for reading it and you can see why I am content with May's Brexit.

It already has moved production to China but that production is for the Chinese market.

Airbus will remain in Europe and continue its development of new products. Indeed it is that that takes my son in law to meetings in France, Germany and Spain regularly

The area voted leave but they did not vote for Airbus to close their operations in North Wales
    Yeah. Nissan workers also voted to LEAVE..........
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited July 2018
    HYUFD said:

As there is no recall power in the UK they can object all they like but unless Griffiths stands down there will be no by election
    Yes there is.

Griffiths doesn't have to stand down for there to be a by election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recall_of_MPs_Act_2015
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Sophy doing a good job on interviewing Tom Watson who is evasive on supporting Chequers but does seem to be open to discussion with the government

Also leaving a second vote option open
  • Options
    FWIW I suspect to avoid a by election Griffiths would have announce his intention to stand down as an MP at the next general election.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I agree on that.

The key date now is no longer what happens in March 2019 but what has happened by December 2020 and the mood of the public and Tory voters and members and MPs then

Symbolic wins and no big downsides, I should have said.

But my hunch is that for a lot of Leave voters - not the obsessives, but how many are that? - the act of leaving will in and of itself be plenty enough. That will then give May a lot more leeway than she has now. If the transition period is extended, who is going to notice and who is really going to care? Very few people indeed. The White paper is all about getting the UK to 30th March without falling off the cliff. The Northern Ireland backstop will never be invoked because if we do get to 30th March in tact a deal will eventually be done. That is a big if, though.

• Options
    Barnesian said:

May did well on Marr.

Really? If BigG thinks she was poor I was assuming it was fairly catastrophic.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Charles said:

maaarsh said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

“We had what we wanted.”

I don’t think I’ve accused you of outright lying.
    You’re confusing me with Mr Jessop (I think).

I’m just annoyed by your progression from seemingly sensible patrician Tory liberal to defending Trump while claiming Brexit will be vindicated in 100 years.
  • Options
    From The Sunday Times

•Sources said the prime minister was “very emotional” after meeting the former party leader Iain Duncan Smith on Wednesday — though No 10 denied she had cried

•Cabinet ministers Penny Mordaunt and Esther McVey are privately still contemplating resignation, with Brexiteer backbenchers pushing the slogan “PM for PM”

•Rebel MPs said 40 letters had been submitted to the 1922 committee demanding a vote of no confidence in May, eight short of the number required

•Constituency bosses are leaning on MPs loyal to May to tell them to block her plans or get rid of her

•Whips threatened MPs in marginal seats with the loss of campaign funds at the next election unless they withdraw their letters.

•One plan being floated by May loyalists would even see the whips put in letters to force a leadership vote in the belief that the prime minister would win, since Tory rules mean she could not be challenged for another year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/davis-brands-pm-dishonest-over-his-brexit-alternative-w9dxnqrwh
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Still think a second vote is a plausible possibility.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Barnesian said:

May did well on Marr.

Always good to get an alternative view
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed so. Too much pretending something would come up to make all the sides agree. V ONC best for everyone.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think Barnier will go along with May in preserving the ambiguous semantics until after the withdrawal agreement is done on 29 March next year. Then will come the 'Non Madame May' and we will end up with the EEA/CU deal at the end of the transition period, which, in effect, never ends.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Barnesian said:

May did well on Marr.

I thought Mrs May was ok - (Marr was tougher than usual, but she kept going) - and she got to throw her dead cat on the table.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed so. Too much pretending something would come up to make all the sides agree. V ONC best for everyone.
    I think its too late. The priority now is the deal and there is no time for anyone else to negotiate it. If the EU come back and say get lost, which they might, that might change but while there is a reasonable prospect we need to let her get on with it.
  • Options

From The Sunday Times

•Sources said the prime minister was “very emotional” after meeting the former party leader Iain Duncan Smith on Wednesday — though No 10 denied she had cried

•Cabinet ministers Penny Mordaunt and Esther McVey are privately still contemplating resignation, with Brexiteer backbenchers pushing the slogan “PM for PM”

•Rebel MPs said 40 letters had been submitted to the 1922 committee demanding a vote of no confidence in May, eight short of the number required

•Constituency bosses are leaning on MPs loyal to May to tell them to block her plans or get rid of her

•Whips threatened MPs in marginal seats with the loss of campaign funds at the next election unless they withdraw their letters.

•One plan being floated by May loyalists would even see the whips put in letters to force a leadership vote in the belief that the prime minister would win, since Tory rules mean she could not be challenged for another year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/davis-brands-pm-dishonest-over-his-brexit-alternative-w9dxnqrwh

Ha, if they are contemplating my plan of forcing a vote themselves they are in a bad way.as for more resignations, the delays of the others in doing so we're poorly justified, doing so now would be very hard to justify. Sure it has become more unpopular, but if they think the plan is the best option they've has plenty of time now.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think Barnier will go along with May in preserving the ambiguous semantics until after the withdrawal agreement is done on 29 March next year. Then will come the 'Non Madame May' and we will end up with the EEA/CU deal at the end of the transition period, which, in effect, never ends.

And you know what? Most people would be absolutely fine with that.

• Options

surby said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

2. Do you support the agreement the UK has reached with the UK or do you support to leave the EU with no deal ?

Care to set out a timetable for these two referendums in the remaining time available?
    Only one voting day. Two different ballot papers like General Election and Council Election. The second ballot will only be counted if the first one results in LEAVE.

Date ? As soon as practically possible after any agreement has been reached with the EU. Even as late as early March but early or mid-February would be best.

If the result of (1) is REMAIN then Art.50 is withdrawn. Primary legislation can be whisked through Parliament in a week.

If (1) is LEAVE and (2) is No Deal, then it is armageddon time.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

And the umpire is Junker.

"Are we taking drinks?"
    Always .... :sunglasses:

May I also note my utter disdain that some vile PB miscreant posted an odious slur in accusing me of being a "posh Tory".

I'm far too grand to be determined as simply "posh" and any link to these contemporary arriviste Tories is just too vulgar to comment on.

Departs huffily stage right .....
  • Options

DavidL said:

Barnesian said:

May did well on Marr.

Absolutely. I was hoping he/she might expand why he/she thought so.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,848
    One crumb of comfort for May is that 48% of Tory supporters back the Chequers proposal, while 26% oppose, according to Opinium.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

maaarsh said:

Never seen Marr get so close to actually showing teeth in an interview. Amazing May doesn't have better responses to these questions yet - it's out there flapping in the wind now that the complaints are valid.

I think she is suffering now from her inability to express herself and it is painful to watch this morning
    Being interviewed is a learned skill and politicians who have spent most of their careers ducking interviews, like Theresa May and Gordon Brown, end up being no good at it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Barnesian said:

May did well on Marr.

I watched it, she did ok.

A bit like a premier league manager bigging up a one nil victory over Barnsley in the cup.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

On reflection I am more relaxed about Brexit and have no idea whether TM survives, or there is a leadership election, but it is obvious that everything is at deadlock and there is no possible way of seeing how this pans out between now and October

As a matter of interest did you catch up on the Airbus report in the business section of the guardian
    I have just read it, Airbus clearly welcomes the Chequers Deal but what they really want is to ensure there is a transition deal if we leave the single market and customs union which May's plan makes more likely even if it is ultimately hard Brexit. Also seems Airbus is more likely to move work to China than the EU if it moves put of the UK so the EU would get little benefit from an Airbus departure.

Also note Broughton where the Airbus plant is is in Flintshire which voted 56% Leave
    I know that you’re obsessed by individual voting patterns for or against, but you might consider the the now clear fact that the voters were actively lied to about the consequences of a leave vote. People who were low information voters are less so now. Perhaps, and I appreciate this would be a leap for you, Flintshire might think differently now.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think its too late. The priority now is the deal and there is no time for anyone else to negotiate it. If the EU come back and say get lost, which they might, that might change but while there is a reasonable prospect we need to let her get on with it.
    Yes, but that's why the vote - either she wins and stops waiting for the sword of damocles to drop and gets on with it, or she loses and we go for no deal . We know lots of tories want no deal, and those who want another deal are suspect as they've waited too long if they are sincere .
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2018
    Charles said:

maaarsh said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

“We had what we wanted.”

....As Gerald Ratner said to his dinner guests
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes there is.

To be triggered by the Speaker not constituents and only in the event of a custodial sentence or suspension from the Commons etc and while Griffiths has been stupid no evidence yet of anything illegal
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Barnesian said:

May did well on Marr.

Absolutely. I was hoping he/she might expand why he/she thought so.
    Maybe she did ok but during her interview my wife asked me a question, I listened, and gave her an answer. Even my wife was surprised as that never normally happens when TM is live on tv !!!!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

From The Sunday Times

Love how those last two have basically the same people engaging in two different types of ratfucking that exactly cancel each other out. I suppose one of the main reasons people go into politics is because they really, really enjoy ratfucking.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Barnesian said:

May did well on Marr.

BigG probably has higher standards for his leader than I do.

Marr was badgering and interrupting and very irritating. I think he was trying to prove he is not a Tory or something. She did well in the circumstances. I was interested in what she had to say. It wasn't just platitudes.

I also liked her revelation that Trump's advice was "Sue the EU"! Typical Trump. I laughed out loud.
  • Options
    Both Penny Mordaunt, the international development secretary, and Esther McVey, the work and pensions secretary, are still on resignation “suicide watch”. Neither has commented publicly on the Chequers deal. Mordaunt has privately not ruled out resignation. MPs say McVey has been encouraged to quit by her partner, Philip Davies, MP for Shipley. “She’s being wound up by Philip,” a female MP said. “We are wearing our tin hats.”

Davis launched an expletive-laden rant at May’s chief of staff, Gavin Barwell, at a meeting in No 10 last Saturday, declaring Downing Street’s arguments “bollocks” and accusing May of having “bullied the cabinet” into backing her plans.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-odd-couple-clicked-at-last-but-tory-plotters-won-t-be-pacified-as-easily-as-trump-3l26nkgcd
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

twitter.com/Daniel_Sugarman/status/1018264850206687232
    twitter.com/Daniel_Sugarman/status/1018270955091709952

We all know that Tommy has a massive Muslim following...
  • Options

From The Sunday Times

This would be the Penny Mordaunt who signed an EDM in support of homeopathy? That Penny Mordaunt? What on earth has she done in office to make people think she has something to offer as PM?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I agree on that.

But my hunch is that for a lot of Leave voters - not the obsessives, but how many are that? - the act of leaving will in and of itself be plenty enough. That will then give May a lot more leeway than she has now. If the transition period is extended, who is going to notice and who is really going to care? Very few people indeed. The White paper is all about getting the UK to 30th March without falling off the cliff. The Northern Ireland backstop will never be invoked because if we do get to 30th March in tact a deal will eventually be done. That is a big if, though.

Perhaps but the fact UKIP are already up to 8% in today's Opinium poll is not a sign of most Leavers supporting this deal, indeed all the polling so far shows a clear majority of Leave voters oppose the Chequers Deal as too soft a Brexit deal and while fewer Remainers oppose it about a third of Remainers still think it is too hard a Brexit deal
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes there is.

To be triggered by the Speaker not constituents and only in the event of a custodial sentence or suspension from the Commons etc and while Griffiths has been stupid no evidence yet of anything illegal
    But you said 'but unless Griffiths stands down there will be no by election' and that has been proven to be demonstrably untrue.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

From The Sunday Times

This would be the Penny Mordaunt who signed an EDM in support of homeopathy? That Penny Mordaunt? What on earth has she done in office to make people think she has something to offer as PM?
    Seems like her initials qualify her.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

One crumb of comfort for May is that 48% of Tory supporters back the Chequers proposal, while 26% oppose, according to Opinium.

I'm astonished. I doubt she is worried by reputation at this point, she just needs to eke out a deal, then resign next year, then Boris can pillory her and say how he never would have gotten us in to this mess and he at least will take us down the right path now. Corbyn will say the same thing.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,062
    surby said:

DavidL said:

From The Sunday Times

Seems like her initials qualify her.
    The new Peter Mandelson?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    May comments about Trump telling her to sue the EU screams quick look over there distraction attempt, as she might be crap at interviews but even she knows mention Trumps saying something dumb and it is catnip for the media.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

From The Sunday Times

Penny Mordaunt also organised and led the rally for Leadsom.

Possibly the most embarrasing thing since John Redwood 'performed' the Welsh national anthem.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2016/jul/07/andrea-leadsom-tory-leadership-supporters-march-parliament-video
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

Barnesian said:

May did well on Marr.

BigG probably has higher standards for his leader than I do.

Marr was badgering and interrupting and very irritating. I think he was trying to prove he is not a Tory or something. She did well in the circumstances. I was interested in what she had to say. It wasn't just platitudes.

I also liked her revelation that Trump's advice was "Sue the EU"! Typical Trump. I laughed out loud.
    Thanks for the insight.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Given about a third of current Tory voters voted Remain that still means most Tory Leave voters do not support it
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That is the point at which Tory Leavers will seek to topple May, any VNOC now will just be a shot across her bows
  • Options

DavidL said:

From The Sunday Times

Possibly the most embarrasing thing since John Redwood 'performed' the Welsh national anthem.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2016/jul/07/andrea-leadsom-tory-leadership-supporters-march-parliament-video
    Blimey. 2 examples of very poor judgment. Surely that is enough?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

From The Sunday Times

This is interesting. It is what I said the other day we should look for. Take those two points in reverse order. What Number 10 is saying is the opposite of what it is doing. It is spinning that it could call the vote itself, implying full confidence that May will cruise to victory.

But it is threatening MPs to ensure no vote of no confidence -- because it knows the PM is doomed.

Deeds not words.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There will be ult will have been unquestionably delivered. What happens next will largely be seen as detail as long as there are symbolic wins - blue passports, etc.

I agree on Ps then

Perhaps but the fact UKIP are already up to 8% in today's Opinium poll is not a sign of most Leavers supporting this deal, indeed all the polling so far shows a clear majority of Leave voters oppose the Chequers Deal as too soft a Brexit deal and while fewer Remainers oppose it about a third of Remainers still think it is too hard a Brexit deal
    Yes, which is as reason to avoid a referendum on the deal - it'd lose. Assuming for the sake of argument that no deal is very bad, May and the party might need to accept unpopularity to get something through. To have any chance at the next election they need to sell it better though.
  • Options
    Mr. F, how old is the footage?

Twitter rumblings, so obviously not necessarily accurate, suggest that the more people hear of the proposals the less they like them.
  • Options
    Also from the Sunday Times

Brexiteers are seeking to persuade Johnson to use a resignation speech in the Commons — as early as tomorrow — to “do a Geoffrey Howe” and use an attack on May to trigger an avalanche of letters to the backbench 1922 committee to spark a vote of no confidence in May. “If Boris doesn’t go for it, he will never have another chance,” one said.

Johnson told friends last week he was “feeling very liberated and energised”, but one ally who spoke to him said he was enduring a “black dog” depression and was “sitting around in his pants wondering if he’s done the right thing”.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    John Mann says lots more in common on Chequers with labour than is not

Also WTO will decimate aerospace industry in the UK
  • Options

From The Sunday Times

This is interesting. It is what I said the other day we should look for. Take those two points in reverse order. What Number 10 is saying is the opposite of what it is doing. It is spinning that it could call the vote itself, implying full confidence that May will cruise to victory.

But it is threatening MPs to ensure no vote of no confidence -- because it knows the PM is doomed.

Deeds not words.
    Perhaps, but then the rebels say the deal is terrible yet so far not enough are callingfor a vote to get someone in to change direction. Deeds not words.
  • Options

Brexiteers are seeking to persuade Johnson to use a resignation speech in the Commons — as early as tomorrow — to “do a Geoffrey Howe” and use an attack on May to trigger an avalanche of letters to the backbench 1922 committee to spark a vote of no confidence in May. “If Boris doesn’t go for it, he will never have another chance,” one said.

Johnson told friends last week he was “feeling very liberated and energised”, but one ally who spoke to him said he was enduring a “black dog” depression and was “sitting around in his pants wondering if he’s done the right thing”.

If the Tories plotter were smart and organized this would be the plan all along. Few resignations, then other saying well this is a concern, but I am reasonable so let me see the details, oh no they are shit....

But I doubt that is how it has gone down.
  • Options

May comments about Trump telling her to sue the EU screams quick look over there distraction attempt, as she might be crap at interviews but even she knows mention Trumps saying something dumb and it is catnip for the media.

Marr asked her specifically what advice did Trump give her, and she told him. I don't think it was a dead cat to distract.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    matt said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I know that you’re obsessed by individual voting patterns for or against, but you might consider the the now clear fact that the voters were actively lied to about the consequences of a leave vote. People who were low information voters are less so now. Perhaps, and I appreciate this would be a leap for you, Flintshire might think differently now.
    There were ample warnings from big business leaders and Osborne about what they called the dire consequences for the economy of a Leave vote, if Leave voters still put sovereignty and immigration control first by voting Leave then fine but I am afraid I have little sympathy with those who say they were not warned of the economic consequences of a Leave vote
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Marr asked her specifically what advice did Trump give her, and she told him. I don't think it was a dead cat to distract.
    I don't know, she could have said something more diplomatic, it just screams look dead cat, DEAD CAT....as straight away my phone lit up with alerts.
  • Options

DavidL said:

From The Sunday Times

Mordaunt is also a liar.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/penny-mordaunt-andrew-marr-uk-veto-tory-minister-accused-of-flat-out-lying-over-turkey-joining-the-a7041956.html

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

From The Sunday Times

Deeds not words.
    Very perceptive, I fear.
  • Options

If the Tories plotter were smart and organized this would be the plan all along. Few resignations, then other saying well this is a concern, but I am reasonable so let me see the details, oh no they are shit....

I know of a few Tories who should be sympathetic to Boris but think he's a copper bottomed shit, skipping out of the COBRA meeting and the Balkans meeting.

As an aside I totally expect some Foreign Office memos to be leaked saying how Boris screwed up the whole Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe thing which should be even more fatal for his leadership chances.
  • Options

No kidding. I don't see it harming her or garnering her support, so what other purpose could it have had? She may be on the brink but she still has her politicians instincts.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    Charles said:

No - it was missold original but fundamentally there was an accelerating pace of integration. You only have to see some of Junker and others musings since Brexit.

We'll have to agree to differ on that. As an integrationist I've found the EU depressingly slow to move in that direction, partly because the new Eastern European members have very mixed feelings (passionate about sovereignty but also keen to be part of a booming union), and Juncker in particular is ultra-cautious about doing anything at all - talk to EU staff about any ideas for change and they shrug and say "Juncker thinks there's too much EU policy already, we can't get anything new through".

An interesting question is whether the new Commission will be different. The centre of gravity will be the Merkelite EPP, with the nationalists (AfD etc.) stronger and the moderate socialists (SPD etc.) much weaker, though the far left and Greens will gain some ground. Britain's withdrawal will kill the Eurosceptic ECR group - its remaining members will sign up elsewhere.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Given about a third of current Tory voters voted Remain that still means most Tory Leave voters do not support it
    Huh ? SeanF wrote 48% of TORY supporters back Chequers and 26% oppose. Surely, they include both Tory Remain and Tory Leave supporters. What are you on today ?
  • Options
    Anyhoo, I'm off to enjoy the summer just a public service announcement.

If you're not cheering for Croatia today then you're not really deserving of a British passport, blue or otherwise.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

She didn't have to tell him. It was breaking news when I woke up. Seems like a distraction to me.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

I know of a few Tories who should be sympathetic to Boris but think he's a copper bottomed shit, skipping out of the COBRA meeting and the Balkans meeting.

As an aside I totally expect some Foreign Office memos to be leaked saying how Boris screwed up the whole Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe thing which should be even more fatal for his leadership chances.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44831698

BBC reporting that the family think Boris was doing a good job. I know, this surprised me as well.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There etc.

I agree on that.

But my That is a big if, though.

A minority of Leavers plus all Remainers = a majority of people. That is clearly the way forward. And that is where we are likely to end up. It's all going to look very different once we have left. In the lead up to exit day, there will be fireworks, endless newspaper articles and pull-outs, the TV will be flooded with programmes. No-one will be able to miss it. And the referendum result will have been delivered. As long as there are no discernible downsides and a few symbols of departure are in place.that will be enough and May will have a hell of a lot more leeway than she does at the moment. If she can get to 30th March 2019, she will be home free.
  • Options

DavidL said:

From The Sunday Times

Mordaunt is also a liar.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/penny-mordaunt-andrew-marr-uk-veto-tory-minister-accused-of-flat-out-lying-over-turkey-joining-the-a7041956.html

Or alternatively, just completely pig ignorant (apologies to any pigs reading this). Her homeopathy views suggest to me an inability to think or comprehend relevant information. I think we may be struggling to get past @surby's very sound point that she has the right initials.
  • Options

BBC reporting that the family think Boris was doing a good job. I know, this surprised me as well.
    They shouldn't worry, Jeremy Hunt will bring her home as he's very competent, and it will ensure he is Mrs May's successor.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

From The Sunday Times

Mordaunt is also a liar.

Or alternatively, just completely pig ignorant (apologies to any pigs reading this). Her homeopathy views suggest to me an inability to think or comprehend relevant information. I think we may be struggling to get past @surby's very sound point that she has the right initials.
    As another Old Etonian pointed out to me 'BJ4PM' wasn't a good slogan more a sales pitch for mind bleach.
  • Options

They shouldn't worry, Jeremy Hunt will bring her home as he's very competent, and it will ensure he is Mrs May's successor.
    You are talking about that Iranian woman but it would not surprise me if the same is true of a deal with the EU. He will be vastly more assistance to May than Boris ever was. She will have a sounding board she can actually trust for a start.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

On the Lower East Side the Dauphin of New Labour types 'Uttoxeter' into Google Maps.
  • Options

Charles said:

maaarsh said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

“We had what we wanted.”

I don’t think I’ve accused you of outright lying.
    You’re confusing me with Mr Jessop (I think).

I’m just annoyed by your progression from seemingly sensible patrician Tory liberal to defending Trump while claiming Brexit will be vindicated in 100 years.
    I’m not defending Trump - I think he’s a prat and a fool of the first order.

I just get irritated by politicians and journalists who ignore diplomatic convention or constitutional proprietary to make a point.

For instance claiming that Brexiteers were hypocritics from not complaining about Trump’s comments on a trade deal and equating it with Obama’s comment while ignoring the fact that they are subtly different and - in diplomacy - nuances matter.

The BBC should be better quality than that
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There etc.

I agree on that.

A minority of Leavers plus all Remainers = a majority of people. That is clearly the way forward.
    It was a suggestion made 2 years ago (if not quite so stark) for a start. But for one thing, it would appear not all remainers are on board. Some because they see a chance to remain out of this, some because they too agree the proposal is not a proper brexit. Hence the difficulties.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Charles said:

maaarsh said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

“We had what we wanted.”

....As Gerald Ratner said to his dinner guests
    Yes. That fall from grace is a salutary warning
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Barnesian said:

She didn't have to tell him. It was breaking news when I woke up. Seems like a distraction to me.
    Perhaps it was a deliberate distraction. It is the headline on BBC news. I thought not. She was prompted to say it. She was obviously amused by Trump's advice and she didn't mind disclosing it. She thinks he is a joke.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

From The Sunday Times

To be fair homeopathy, like placebo, has its place in healthcare. The issue is the price at which it is reimbursed. I’m a great fan of value based pricing for pharmaceuticals
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There etc.

I agree on that.

A minority of Leavers plus all Remainers = a majority of people. That is clearly the way forward.
    It was a suggestion made 2 years ago (if not quite so stark) for a start. But for one thing, it would appear not all remainers are on board. Some because they see a chance to remain out of this, some because they too agree the proposal is not a proper brexit. Hence the difficulties.

Once we have left we cannot remain. As I say, all May needs to do is get to 30th March without the UK having fallen off a cliff. Some current Remainers will then campaign for the UK to rejoin the EU, but at the same time they are not going to oppose the softest possible Brexit. And while some Leavers will, others will not as they will have got what they wanted.
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, funny, but also a bit worrying that it's so easy, and commonplace, for fake news (ahem) to spread.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

That's a very wide range. According to some reports over 40 had been submitted several months ago!
This discussion has been closed.