Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another day goes by and still 48 CON MPs have not sent letters

Comments

• brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2018
    Government has lost the EMA amendment - clause 17 - by 4 votes. 305 to 301

Suggests they may lose on clause 18 too.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,702
    Govt lose Clause 17

Big one is 18 coming up now

• NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,261

Government defeated by 4 on NC17 (not the crucial one)

That's Phillip Lee's medicines one, I think. Not crucial.
    That's right. But possibly a trial run for NC18.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001

brendan16 said:

Which is the CU Amendment??

New clause 18.
    Thanks

Now voting on 17

What do PBers think?

On past form the rebels will fold at the last minute

Will this time be different?
    No - I think they will rebel due to yesterday events.

Could TM resign tonight. Now that would be a story
    Well if ERG vote against 3rd reading she must be in serious danger.

I keep feeling a bit sorry for her but then i remind myself without GE 2017 ......
    I doubt they would have the numbers against the third reading
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    William_H said:

TOPPING said:

I hope we’re not losing PBers for wondering why @William_H is not out campaigning for the Native Americans to reclaim New York.

I support the existence of America, as I do the existence of Israel alongside Palestine. I condemn the genocide of the Native Americans, just as I do the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians (and their continued lack of self determination).

I generally don't get into arguments about native americans online because few now justify the atrocities carried out against them

It is not I who am being inconsistent.
    @Cyclefree very eloquently explained to you the situation of the Palestinians.

Of course it doesn’t suit your preferred narrative but them was the facts.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2018

That's right. But possibly a trial run for NC18.
    We shall soon see!

Edit: Actually I'm surprised the government didn't just accept it. It doesn't seem very controversial.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786

Wouldn't it imply membership of the EEA?
  • PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

brendan16 said:

New clause 18.
    Thanks

Now voting on 17

What do PBers think?

I’m not sure resigning is a thing she does. It’s not clear to me why NC18 is worse than the ERG amendments adopted by the government yesterday (if you squint slightly, both of them could be seen as approximately compatible with Chequers) so I can’t see why she would take yesterday’s events in her stride and then be completely destabilised by a comparable defeat from the other flank.

The level of anger about yesterday seems very high on the moderate wing of the party, and it looks like the whips are having to resort to some pretty extreme threats - question is whether they will be taken seriously.
    305-303

If one moves back to Govt its a tie

What happens then????
    Polruan said:

brendan16 said:

New clause 18.
    Thanks

Now voting on 17

What do PBers think?

I’m not sure resigning is a thing she does. It’s not clear to me why NC18 is worse than the ERG amendments adopted by the government yesterday (if you squint slightly, both of them could be seen as approximately compatible with Chequers) so I can’t see why she would take yesterday’s events in her stride and then be completely destabilised by a comparable defeat from the other flank.

The level of anger about yesterday seems very high on the moderate wing of the party, and it looks like the whips are having to resort to some pretty extreme threats - question is whether they will be taken seriously.
    Looks as if ERG may have pushed things too far. Won the battle and lost the war, maybe
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

305-303

What happens then????

It was 305 - 301!

305-303

What happens then????

The Speaker votes for the status quo, i.e. against the amendment. Was 305-301 though.

305-303

What happens then????

Speaker maybe
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

305-303

What happens then????

The Speaker votes for the status quo, i.e. against the amendment. Was 305-301 though.
    You could argue that the status quo is that we are in a Customs Union!
    First time for a while I've watched the Parliament channel live.

brendan16 said:

New clause 18.
    Thanks

Now voting on 17

What do PBers think?

Well if ERG vote against 3rd reading she must be in serious danger.

I keep feeling a bit sorry for her but then i remind myself without GE 2017 ......
    I doubt they would have the numbers against the third reading
    They surely would if other parties voted against.

Its not passed the 6 tests remember

305-303

What happens then????

Status quo in the bill
    edited July 2018

Wouldn't it imply membership of the EEA?
    Well it's an EU agency which oversees medicines in the EU and EEA member states. Not sure if a non EEA/EU member can be a member of the EMA but there is always a first.

Switzerland isn't a member but does have mutual recognition agreements in place with the EMA.

http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages/partners_and_networks/general/general_content_001712.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058009b148

305-303

What happens then????

Bercow could argue the moon was made of cheese TBF
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited July 2018

305-303

What happens then????

Bercow could argue the moon was made of cheese TBF
    Quite right. Have you not seen the documentary "A Grand Day Out"?
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    Wonder if Labour leavers might help to defeat the customs union for a 5th time...
    Rebels folded
    Government holds 307-301

Rebels folded

Wow
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,544
    edited July 2018
    Polruan said:

brendan16 said:

New clause 18.
    Thanks

Now voting on 17

What do PBers think?

I’m not sure the threats are being taken particularly seriously, but the strong arm treatment of the rebels compared to that of the ERG rebels appears to be helping make them rather angry.

But apparently not angry enough...

First time for a while I've watched the Parliament channel live.

Enjoy it while you can.

It's being heavily scaled back - from next week it will only broadcast when parliament is sitting (rather than 24 hour coverage all year round as now) and will have no original or analysis shows programming due to BBC cuts.

Rebels folded

Will be interesting to see who bailed.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,835
    Looks like there are roughly 4 sensible MPs in the house.
    Mortimer said:

Wonder if Labour leavers might help to defeat the customs union for a 5th time...

Boy do the whips deserve a huge hug from TM
    Who changed between votes
    Mortimer said:

Maybe parliament will stop faffing around with customs unions amendments now?
    Suggests a few MPs wanted to fire a warning shot with NC17 but not defeat the Government.
    Polruan said:

Rebels folded

Will be interesting to see who bailed.
    John Mann :p ?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,725

Government holds 307-301

It was the Customs Union's Nearest Test.

Coincidentally, the acronym of that describes many people involved on all sides, starting with the Commission and the DExEU

Suggests a few MPs wanted to fire a warning shot with NC17 but not defeat the Government.

Or a few true and sturdy yeoman from the opposition understand that staying on the customs union is a non starter.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706

Government holds 307-301

Bigger win for the Govt than last night then on the Customs Union vote in the end
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    TOPPING said:

William_H said:

TOPPING said:

I hope we’re not losing PBers for wondering why @William_H is not out campaigning for the Native Americans to reclaim New York.

I support the existence of America, as I do the existence of Israel alongside Palestine. I condemn the genocide of the Native Americans, just as I do the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians (and their continued lack of self determination).

I generally don't get into arguments about native americans online because few now justify the atrocities carried out against them

It is not I who am being inconsistent.
    @Cyclefree very eloquently explained to you the situation of the Palestinians.

Of course it doesn’t suit your preferred narrative but them was the facts.
    Using the Israel-Palestine argument and transferring it to the native Americans I assume all Israel supporters would enthusiastically support the native Americans taking back America and kicking out the people who live there in a couple of thousand years time if they move to another continent and suffer a terrible genocide in that time...

There never usually seems to be as much enthusiasm for the comparison once you look into it in a bit more depth.

Rebels folded

Which rebels?
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Er, haven’t we had a vote on staying in the customs union before? This whole Brexit process feels like Groundhog Day....
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Interesting outcome.
    Suggests there is a majority in the House comfortable with hard Brexit.

Hold on to your knickers. This sucker’s going down, as George Bush once said.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,544
    Pulpstar said:

Labour votes, according to the Guardian.

Interesting outcome.

Not sure there is if that becomes the deal
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Interesting outcome.

Let the stockpiling of tinned foods begin.

Er, haven’t we had a vote on staying in the customs union before? This whole Brexit process feels like Groundhog Day....

Yes various customs amendments have been defeated 5 times now. Personally I'd favour it in an ideal world but Id have voted against it this time on the basis the house has rejected it 4 times.aleady

Interesting outcome.

Not sure there is if that becomes the deal
    Agreed. A lot of MPs and ministers are keeping their powder dry until the crisis gets a lot more acute.
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

So 3 Labour MPs turned down the opportunity to trigger a no-confidence vote (if Julian Smith’s threats are to be believed)... interesting priorities for an opposition.
    But why would that worry them given that the rebels would all fall back into line on the confidence vote?

This is the fifth.

It’s ridiculous. MPs need to get the message this time...

Interesting outcome.

Given 408 out of 650 MPs constituencies voted Leave it is not surprising the Commons has voted to Leave the Single Market and Customs Union.

Until say Chuka Umunna wins a general election on a pro single market platform there is likely to be a narrow majority in the Commons for hard Brexit for some time to come, especially as neither the Tories nor Corbyn support staying in the single market even if Corbyn had got his way and we stayed in a Customs Union after tonight's votes
  • The size of these government victories will encourage the Lords to play ping pong in the Autumn. Unless May has made progress on her fantasy Customs Partnership which she wasn't going to anyway and certainly won't after yesterday's capitulation. We'll be here again in the Autumn. The only question is will the undetlying dynamic between now and then have strengthened the governments hand or further weakened it ? Still nice to see the Tory Europhiles finally fighting back even if they don't have the numbers yet. The EMA defeat of the government is symbolic but symbolism matters.
    edited July 2018

Interesting outcome.

Surely it was the President after Bush who said that?

Edit - re your other point, the thing is that Hard Brexit is now the default. The only thing we have learned in the last fortnight is that nobody, including Parliament and the EU, can agree on an alternative. That makes the default the likely outcome.
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Freggles said:

Interesting outcome.

Let the stockpiling of tinned foods begin.
    Not for us country bumpkins. I look forward to the BBC headlines, moped gangs mug sharp suited city dweller of a tin of baked beans but leave the iphone and massive "wally" watch.
    Did Cable and Farron vote this time and did they know who to vote for !!!!!!
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Pulpstar said:

Yes various customs amendments have been defeated 5 times now. Personally I'd favour it in an ideal world but Id have voted against it this time on the basis the house has rejected it 4 times.aleady
    So why the doom and gloom regarding this particular vote by some commentators? Since the house has already rejected these amendments before, today is hardly surprising. Yet all over twitter there’s comments suggesting we are definitely heading towards a Hard Brexit. The mood seems to chop and change: one minute we’re going to have a Soft Brexit, the next a Hard Brexit. And commentators make these conclusions definitively each and every time until themood swings again. This whole process is beyond tedious at this stage.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited July 2018
    Anddddddddd....

The Good Ship May sails on serenely. :D
    GIN1138 said:

Anddddddddd....

The Good Ship May sails on serenely. :D

Definitely Titanic rather than Olympic, though.

Did Cable and Farron vote this time and did they know who to vote for !!!!!!

Looks like they did. There were 12 Tory rebels on NC18, but 4 Labour MPs voted with the government.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,879
    Polruan said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

So 3 Labour MPs turned down the opportunity to trigger a no-confidence vote (if Julian Smith’s threats are to be believed)... interesting priorities for an opposition.
    All because they are desperate to leave the customs union!?

Against the stated policy of their leader, the trades unions, and what I imagine is also the view of both the membership and labour voters.

I can understand Labour leavers backing the end of FOM but desperately saving a Tory govt for this!?
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414

The size of these government victories will encourage the Lords to play ping pong in the Autumn. Unless May has made progress on her fantasy Customs Partnership which she wasn't going to anyway and certainly won't after yesterday's capitulation. We'll be here again in the Autumn. The only question is will the undetlying dynamic between now and then have strengthened the governments hand or further weakened it ? Still nice to see the Tory Europhiles finally fighting back even if they don't have the numbers yet. The EMA defeat of the government is symbolic but symbolism matters.

Might they be trying to delay these votes until after the deal is struck?

Then it becomes a “vote this down and you get hard Brexit” line..
    Polruan said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

But the Government would have won any confidence vote!
  • But the ( current ) direction of travel is clear. If the government is down to a majority of 6 after the ' Nuclear Option ' ( though the FTPA has reduced the megatonage ) of a Confidence vote threat has been deployed where will we be in the Autumn ? After all these votes are all dress rehersal. You can't will into existence a UK/EU agreement by unilatetally amending domestic legislation after all. The big votes come in the Winter. The question is can the government change the direction of travel ? Because after this week ( a ) it has to do what the ERG says ( b ) can onkybthen pass what the ERG says by 6 votes.

Is 6 votes in July going to last till next April ?
    edited July 2018
    rkrkrk said:

Polruan said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

All because they are desperate to leave the customs union!?

Against the stated policy of their leader, the trades unions, and what I imagine is also the view of both the membership and labour voters.

I can understand Labour leavers backing the end of FOM but desperately saving a Tory govt for this!?
    What was that article (Blair’s?) which pointed out that every other Leaver article of faith had been shown to be a sham and hence they are now clinging on to the Customs Union which as a result has become totemic.
    To be honest. It is time for everyone to go on summer leave and let TM get on negotiating with the 27 leaders.
    The Government was also saved by Labour abstentions tonight. Perhaps pressure will be applied to them before 'ping pong' resumes in the Autumn.

But the ( current ) direction of travel is clear. If the government is down to a majority of 6 after the ' Nuclear Option ' ( though the FTPA has reduced the megatonage ) of a Confidence vote threat has been deployed where will we be in the Autumn ? After all these votes are all dress rehersal. You can't will into existence a UK/EU agreement by unilatetally amending domestic legislation after all. The big votes come in the Winter. The question is can the government change the direction of travel ? Because after this week ( a ) it has to do what the ERG says ( b ) can onkybthen pass what the ERG says by 6 votes.

Is 6 votes in July going to last till next April ?

But a Confidence Vote is not a nuclear option at all - the Government would win it!
  • volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    edited July 2018
    This hard Tory brexit has revealed the true intentions of the Lib Dems,to be the enabling handmaidens of the Tories.Cable and Farron are the midwives of a hard Tory brexit and the allies of the ERG.My money is on May clinging on,but Cable getting the boot before her.
    justin124 said:

The Government was also saved by Labour abstentions tonight. Perhaps pressure will be applied to them before 'ping pong' resumes in the Autumn.

Extraordinary at least Corbyn realises the game he’s in and that Labour is the Opposition.

This hard Tory brexit has revealed the true intentions of the Lib Dems,to be the enabling haidnaidens of the Tories.Cable and Farron are the midwives of a hard Tory brexit and the allies of the ERG.My money is on May clinging on,but Cable getting the boot before her.

Cable is useless
    Field, Hoey, Hopkins, Mann and Stringer all voted with the Government to leave the Customs Union

https://mobile.twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1019282377850449920
    HYUFD said:

Field, Hoey, Hopkins, Mann and Stringer all voted with the Government to leave the Customs Union

That will upset Faisal Islam
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    justin124 said:

Yes - 12 Con rebels and 4 Lab rebels equals a Govt defeat if equal number of abstentions.

Must have been approx 9 more Opposition abstentions than Con abstentions - that's a lot.

This hard Tory brexit has revealed the true intentions of the Lib Dems,to be the enabling handmaidens of the Tories.Cable and Farron are the midwives of a hard Tory brexit and the allies of the ERG.My money is on May clinging on,but Cable getting the boot before her.

As it happens their votes would not have changed the outcome last night - simply a Government majority of 1 rather than 3.
  • The size of these government victories will encourage the Lords to play ping pong in the Autumn. Unless May has made progress on her fantasy Customs Partnership which she wasn't going to anyway and certainly won't after yesterday's capitulation. We'll be here again in the Autumn. The only question is will the undetlying dynamic between now and then have strengthened the governments hand or further weakened it ? Still nice to see the Tory Europhiles finally fighting back even if they don't have the numbers yet. The EMA defeat of the government is symbolic but symbolism matters.

Might they be trying to delay these votes until after the deal is struck?

Then it becomes a “vote this down and you get hard Brexit” line..
    Agreed. We all keep saying " there is no majority for anything in the Commons " but there will be a majority against a No deal No Deal - no A50 agreement and legal chaos. So doubtless the government strategy will be to kick everything possible into the transition period and hold a ' vote for this or the Dog gets it ' vote as late as possible before Brexit Day. So curiously you have two delay dynamics tunning concurrently. The long we wait the further the government decays but the nearer the cliff edge we get the more powerfully the government can frame the A50 Ratification Bill as ' back us or doomsday '.

How those two competing dynamics play out will be fascinating.

HYUFD said:

Gutto Bebb voted for Customs Union Ammendment - but not the earlier one lost by Government.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    MikeL said:

justin124 said:

Yes - 12 Con rebels and 4 Lab rebels equals a Govt defeat if equal number of abstentions.

Must have been approx 9 more Opposition abstentions than Con abstentions - that's a lot.
    Make that 7 if Hopkins with Govt.
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Gutto Bebb voted for Customs Union Ammendment - but not the earlier one lost by Government.
    I have made my views on him to his constituency chairman. He is my mp
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

justin124 said:

Make that 7 if Hopkins with Govt.
    They have been doing so pretty consistently.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    5 times the commons has said no to a customs union - get the message please.
    John Mann, Frank Field, Kate Hoey and Graham Stringer
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    edited July 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Reality will hit eventually and we will be in the customs Union because there is very little reason not to be. That parliament has voted five times against simply shows how divorced from reality it has become.
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Reality will hit wrist and we will be in the customs Union because there is very little reason not to be. That parliament has voted five times against simply shows how divorced from reality it has become.
    How very democratic of you.

Plus Kelvin Hopkins currently suspended. To be fair these people do hold strong views on the issue and we need to remember that until late 80/early 90s Labour was more Euroscepric than the Tories! I would have thought that the Labour Whips might have more luck working on the abstainers such as Caroline Flint.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    MikeL said:

justin124 said:

How does this work?

Excluding Sinn Fein and speakers the Government has a majority of 13. That means 7 Tory rebels can defeat the government. If 5 Labour MPs vote with the government, 12 rebels becomes the magic number.

You only need 2 more Lab abstentions for the Government to win. I’d be surprised if Caroline Flint would ever vote for any of these amendments that neuter Brexit. You only need 1 more.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Pulpstar said:

So why the doom and gloom regarding this particular vote by some commentators? Since the house has already rejected these amendments before, today is hardly surprising. Yet all over twitter there’s comments suggesting we are definitely heading towards a Hard Brexit. The mood seems to chop and change: one minute we’re going to have a Soft Brexit, the next a Hard Brexit. And commentators make these conclusions definitively each and every time until themood swings again. This whole process is beyond tedious at this stage.
    Agreed to the extreme. We still keep changing what counts as hard and soft in any case, so it's misplaced tedium as well.
    justin124 said:

As it happens their votes would not have changed the outcome last night - simply a Government majority of 1 rather than 3.
    A shame that - we don't get many opportunities for a majority of 1, so it would have been hilarious.

Just spared us a VONC
    Polruan said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

There are things more important than party politics, especially when the government is so flimsy like this one that there will be further opportunities.
  • All Brexit has left going for it is it's inevitability. If that goes then it's game on. Which as ever takes us back to public opinion. Which fundamentally hasn't changed. The big question now is whether than fundamental consistency of public opinion holds in the heat of the Autumn/Winter Crisis that's now approaching. On the one hand the demographic underpinnings of both Brexit blocs looks remarkably solid. On the other hand Leave has had no fresh momentum since the early May government put the machinery of state behind it. It's a supertanker moving on momentum butvwith it's engine switched off.

We'll see but it's going to be genuinely historic either way.

Just spared us a VONC
    But that would only have been a day of theatre which the Government would have won anyway. At the end of the day the Opposition can always table a No Confidence Vote.
    Oh please, this government will shift position on anything if it has to, I don't believe for a second something is fundamental to it.
    justin124 said:

Plus Kelvin Hopkins currently suspended. To be fair these people do hold strong views on the issue and we need to remember that until late 80/early 90s Labour was more Euroscepric than the Tories! I would have thought that the Labour Whips might have more luck working on the abstainers such as Caroline Flint.
    We need more MPs voting for what they believe in not just toeing the whips line for cynical advantage. A good day for democracy.

305-303

What happens then????

The Speaker votes for the status quo, i.e. against the amendment.
    That is the rule, but Bercow doesn't like tradition, would he do so?
    TGOHF said:

justin124 said:

We need more MPs voting for what they believe in not just toeing the whips line for cynical advantage. A good day for democracy.
    I agree.
    edited July 2018
    kle4 said:

305-303

What happens then????

I don't think that's a rule, merely a convention. Melville was impeached in 1805 on the casting vote of a speaker.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

What did you say Big G? :D
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755
    MikeL said:

justin124 said:

If 20 - 25% of Labour voters support Leave, it's not surprising some Labour MP's abstain.
    edited July 2018

All Brexit has left going for it is it's inevitability. If that goes then it's game on. Which as ever takes us back to public opinion. Which fundamentally hasn't changed. The big question now is whether than fundamental consistency of public opinion holds in the heat of the Autumn/Winter Crisis that's now approaching. On the one hand the demographic underpinnings of both Brexit blocs looks remarkably solid. On the other hand Leave has had no fresh momentum since the early May government put the machinery of state behind it. It's a supertanker moving on momentum butvwith it's engine switched off.

We'll see but it's going to be genuinely historic either way.

The YouGov tracker shows unprecedented pessimism about how Brexit is going, but the number of people saying it was the right decision still hasn't dipped below 40% at any time. That will feel like a sea change if it happens.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/6krrxypwta/YG Trackers - EU Tracker Questions_W.pdf
    edited July 2018
    GIN1138 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

What did you say Big G? :D
    He has lost my support

And that was before tonight. He was in Plaid before 2002
  • ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

305-303

What happens then????

I don't think that's a rule, merely a convention. Melville was impeached in 1805 on the casting vote of a speaker.
    David Steel used his casting vote as Presiding Officer to pass a motion changing the status quo in the Scottish Parliament. Widely criticised at the time for breaking UK parliamentry ' convention ' but it's just that. Convention.
This discussion has been closed.