Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » BoJo moves to joint next CON leader favourite with Moggsy foll

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited July 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » BoJo moves to joint next CON leader favourite with Moggsy following his resignation speech

Betdata.io

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,928
    Top 5 runners near enough 9-1 the lot.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,434
    Phew I can start laying the favourite for the Tory leadership again.
  • Options
    Plus isn’t Boris in trouble for his Telegraph deal.

Seems like an obvious breach of the ministerial code.

Give him a suspension.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    I presume whoever's buying Boris and JRM have little to no idea how the Tory leadership election process works?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Plus isn’t Boris in trouble for his Telegraph deal.

Seems like an obvious breach of the ministerial code.

Give him a suspension.

To be fair, Boris being a toxic twat hasn't harmed him until now.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Xenon said:

The EU are signing a free trade deal with Japan, which amazingly doesn't involve freedom of movement or any of the other crap that they are insisting with us.

They hate us and want to destroy us.

It's going to be really painful to leave thanks to the EU acting like it is, but thankfully we'll be out and can rebuild on our own terms.

Have Japan signed up to things like Euroatom?
    No, but it begs the question as to why we are bothering with that stuff.
    Because people could literally die if it isn’t sorted

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/health/brexit-cancer-deaths-more-patients-die-delays-euratom-leave-warning-a8070641.html?amp
    Or, how about we replicate the functions of Euratom with Britatom. You know, actual exit planning.
    But that costs money and paperwork, something you said would be reduced thanks to Brexit.

Plus do we have the capability and resources to replicate Euratom. The experts have their doubts.
    Plus I assume that EurAtom and Britatom would have a mutual recognition, joint standards, etc....
    Possibly and then we’ve got to sort out a dispute resolution mechanism.

CJEU anyone?

If so we might as well stay in Euratom.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Eagles, suspect most people would have no problem with ongoing membership of Euratom (although why it needs to have been swallowed by the empire-building EU is another matter).

The EU attempting to impose a customs barrier within the UK by embarking upon the regulatory annexation of Northern Ireland is another matter.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, suspect most people would have no problem with ongoing membership of Euratom (although why it needs to have been swallowed by the empire-building EU is another matter).

The EU attempting to impose a customs barrier within the UK by embarking upon the regulatory annexation of Northern Ireland is another matter.

If you want to be a member of a club you have to play by their rules.
  • Options

Historical reasons. Euratom and the European Coal and Steel Community predate the foundation of the EEC, and were rolled into it largely out of convenience.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Pulpstar said:

Top 5 runners near enough 9-1 the lot.

And all men. Surprising considering that the final two in the last contest were both women.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

Historical reasons. Euratom and the European Coal and Steel Community predate the foundation of the EEC, and were rolled into it largely out of convenience.
    The merger treaty to consolidate the political institutions was in the 60s though.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I’d have thought both would have been more likely to be next UKIP leader than next Conservative leader.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

I’d have thought both would have been more likely to be next UKIP leader than next Conservative leader.

If No Deal happens then surely UKIP is finished as there will be no point to them
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    How can anyone remotely contemplate Boris or JRM as leaders of a country? Seriously.

One has just spent two years proving how he handles High Office and the other has never held any High Office. Both appear to be masters of vacuous promises with little substance behind them.

I cannot think of any better way of catapulting Corbyn into No 10 than electing either of those two buffoons to PM.

At the minute, the only MP who looks like she has both a spine and working brain is Soubry and she has zero chance (if she even wants to be PM).
  • Options
    Anna Soubry next Tory leader nailed on.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, aren't the Swiss associate members of Euratom?

Also, you paint the EU in a very malevolent light.

Mr. Cocque, convenience for the EU, indeed. It remains damned silly.

Mr. Meeks, interesting to consider what will happen to UKIP in the future.

We could realistically (although odds against) see both major parties split, perhaps with both splitting groups forming a new pro-EU party (perhaps swallowing the Lib Dems). Turbulent times indeed.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Joint favourite, but at 8/1. Those are extremely long odds for a Next Leader market favourite and (rightly) indicative that there's no stand-out candidate and a great deal of uncertainty.

FWIW, I think they're about right for Boris but a good deal too short for JRM.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

You might as well take the Tory party out the back and shoot it now if that's on the cards. I know we're doing it to ourselves anyway, but it would be the end of us if that horrible woman became our leader.
  • Options

:D
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, aren't the Swiss associate members of Euratom?

Also, you paint the EU in a very malevolent light.

Mr. Cocque, convenience for the EU, indeed. It remains damned silly.

Mr. Meeks, interesting to consider what will happen to UKIP in the future.

We could realistically (although odds against) see both major parties split, perhaps with both splitting groups forming a new pro-EU party (perhaps swallowing the Lib Dems). Turbulent times indeed.

Switzerland is not a member of Euratom, it is an "associated state". Which is to say, it accepts the EU's jurisdiction over Euratom via its bilateral treaties.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Xenon said:

The EU are signing a free trade deal with Japan, which amazingly doesn't involve freedom of movement or any of the other crap that they are insisting with us.

It's going to be really painful to leave thanks to the EU acting like it is, but thankfully we'll be out and can rebuild on our own terms.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/health/brexit-cancer-deaths-more-patients-die-delays-euratom-leave-warning-a8070641.html?amp
    Or, how about we replicate the functions of Euratom with Britatom. You know, actual exit planning.
    But that costs money and paperwork, something you said would be reduced thanks to Brexit.

Plus do we have the capability and resources to replicate Euratom. The experts have their doubts.
    Plus I assume that EurAtom and Britatom would have a mutual recognition, joint standards, etc....

CJEU anyone?

We might as well stay in Euratom anyway. If that means having to concede FoM for nuclear physicists, I think most of the population could live with that.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,597
    MaxPB said:

You might as well take the Tory party out the back and shoot it now if that's on the cards. I know we're doing it to ourselves anyway, but it would be the end of us if that horrible woman became our leader.
    I'm sure something along those lines has been said before....
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

How can anyone remotely contemplate Boris or JRM as leaders of a country? Seriously.

One has just spent two years proving how he handles High Office and the other has never held any High Office. Both appear to be masters of vacuous promises with little substance behind them.

I cannot think of any better way of catapulting Corbyn into No 10 than electing either of those two buffoons to PM.

At the minute, the only MP who looks like she has both a spine and working brain is Soubry and she has zero chance (if she even wants to be PM).

I doubt we're going to be offered the choice of twat or papist twat. But honestly, given the events of the last two years, nothing surprises me any longer. May could be revealed as a Martian and I'd hardly raise an eyebrow.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

It was 'swallowed' as early as 1967, when the European Communities was formed, which merged (most of) the respective institutions of the EEC, ECSC and Euratom.
  • Options

We might as well stay in Euratom anyway. If that means having to concede FoM for nuclear physicists, I think most of the population could live with that.

"Mrs May, leaving the EU without a deal could mean thousands of people dying unnecessarily of cancer"

"BREXIT MEANS BREXIT"
  • Options
    currystar said:

If No Deal happens then surely UKIP is finished as there will be no point to them
    I wouldn't be so sure, cockroaches can survive pretty much anything. There will still be room for a party that opposes any and all migration. I expect after Brexit migration will go up as the new rules will encourage the highly mobile and highly skilled to relocate to the UK.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    FPT

"Have not the EU said that they are willing to negotiate and sign a free trade deal ?
    What we are asking for goes some way beyond that."

Mr B,

Are you suggesting that Japan have been offered non-tariff trade without the four freedoms, including freedom of movement?

If so, what's the problem? It's what we joined the single market for. BTW, Tony Benn was laughed at in 1975 for suggesting that the Europeans intended to incorporate us into a larger European bloc. If I remember correctly, the phrase was 'lefty loony'.
  • Options

Euratom and the EEC were created at the same time. The ECSC came first.
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, I also condemned Augustus/Tiberius for the creation of the Praetorian Guard and the failure to establish a legitimate means of imperial succession.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I'm reasonably certain JRM doesn't want it.

His mystique comes from his "power behind the throne" schtick his followers carefully disseminate from within ERG towers.

It'd never survive a millisecond in contact with the coalface of British politics and JRM knows it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

currystar said:

I wouldn't be so sure, cockroaches can survive pretty much anything. There will still be room for a party that opposes any and all migration. I expect after Brexit migration will go up as the new rules will encourage the highly mobile and highly skilled to relocate to the UK.
    After Brexit the highly mobile and highly skilled are going to be leaving Britain for countries that don’t put mindless barriers in their way. The immigrants will be at the other end of the scale. That will of course be good for UKIP.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,928

His mystique comes from his "power behind the throne" schtick his followers carefully disseminate from with ERG towers.

It'd never survive a millisecond in contact with the coalface of British politics and JRM knows it.

Well yes, quite. He made the PM shift her position on the withdrawal agreement via amendment whilst the pro EU rebels were defeated. Once he is PM the pro EU rebels numbers inside the Tories prepared to rebel swells and he knows it.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

FPT

"Have not the EU said that they are willing to negotiate and sign a free trade deal ?

The EU offered us CETA+ right off the bat, but May rejected it out of hand because of the Irish issue, economic uncertainty and the fact that she doesn't have the votes.

If she went back to the EU now and said she'd changed her mind about CETA, she might find that the price has... changed.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    How do countries with considerably smaller economies than ours, like Australia for instance, cope without being members of Euratom?
  • Options

It was 'swallowed' as early as 1967, when the European Communities was formed, which merged (most of) the respective institutions of the EEC, ECSC and Euratom.
    Correcting Morris Dancer’s historical inaccuracies is a full time job.
  • Options

CD13 said:

FPT

The EU offered us CETA+ right off the bat, but May rejected it out of hand because of the Irish issue, economic uncertainty and the fact that she doesn't have the votes.

If she went back to the EU now and said she'd changed her mind about CETA, she might find that the price has... changed.
    The EU were also concerned about the Irish issue. Other than trying to annex NI they don't seem to have done squat to resolve it though.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Police believe they have identified the suspected perpetrators of the Novichok attack on a Russian ex-spy and his daughter in Salisbury in March, according to reports.

Several Russians were involved in the attempted murder of Sergei and Yulia Skripal, the Press Association say.

They have been identified through CCTV, cross-checked with border entry data.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44883803

Jezza and the cult will still be limbo dancing that it was rogue actors acting on their own, etc etc etc...
  • Options
    edited July 2018

How do countries with considerably smaller economies than ours, like Australia for instance, cope without being members of Euratom?

Australia signed an agreement with Euratom in 1981.

http://dfat.gov.au/international-relations/security/non-proliferation-disarmament-arms-control/policies-agreements-treaties/nuclear-cooperation-agreements/Pages/australias-network-of-nuclear-cooperation-agreements.aspx
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    edited July 2018

They are members of the global body IAEA. The Nuclear Institute here in the UK recommended that we replace Euratom by becoming fully engaged in The IAEA, dispute resolution by the ICJ.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

currystar said:

After Brexit the highly mobile and highly skilled are going to be leaving Britain for countries that don’t put mindless barriers in their way. The immigrants will be at the other end of the scale. That will of course be good for UKIP.
    Even in the middle of this non-EU immigration of highly skilled workers is rising and unskilled immigration from the EU is falling. The facts go against your prejudices.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,299

His mystique comes from his "power behind the throne" schtick his followers carefully disseminate from within ERG towers.

Yes his tweet yesterday calling Boris a statesman was indicative of him wanting/endorsing Boris as PM, rather than any kind of power play for himself.
  • Options

http://dfat.gov.au/international-relations/security/non-proliferation-disarmament-arms-control/policies-agreements-treaties/nuclear-cooperation-agreements/Pages/australias-network-of-nuclear-cooperation-agreements.aspx
    So what stops Britatom from doing the same?
  • Options

So we could sign a cooperation agreement from outside too?
  • Options
    And another thing …

I think there's surprise about the oldies being so set on leaving. I'll give you a clue.

We voted IN on the basis we were dealing with a trade structure. We were lied to, and we still have functioning memories. As I've said before … 'Fool me once, more fool you - fool me twice, more fool me.'

Now, the explanation given is "We always intended to create a Euro country. If you'd read the small print is section 43 (a), you'd have realised that. It's not our fault you're all cretins and didn't listen carefully enough."

Just the response to produce the referendum result. And why it's not a good idea to try and sneak in a BINO.

• Options

Mr. Herdson, I also condemned Augustus/Tiberius for the creation of the Praetorian Guard and the failure to establish a legitimate means of imperial succession.

I am sure they are both trembling in their graves Mr Dancer :)
  • Options

It's quite an extensive treaty. However, the practical issue is the import of medical radioisotopes. We make some domestically, but things like technetium and radon come from Johnny Foreigner. Distance and time do matter.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

currystar said:

Even in the middle of this non-EU immigration of highly skilled workers is rising and unskilled immigration from the EU is falling. The facts go against your prejudices.
    Not disputing you're right but do you have a source for that? It's very interesting.
  • Options
    Lewis Hamilton extends his contract.
  • Options

CD13 said:

FPT

May rejected it because she wants the holy grail of cake picking. She wants UK regulatory agencies to be able to certify products as being compliant with EU regs so they can be sold in the EU27 plus EEA with no input from their country regulators and no border checks for single market regs.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

currystar said:

Not disputing you're right but do you have a source for that? It's very interesting.
    The migration data from a few days ago. Non-EU migration up, EU migration down. Specifically EU migration was down heavily among those arriving without a job or those who arrived "looking for work". Non-EU migration tends to all be highly skilled as they need to satisfy visa requirements.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Now, the explanation given is "We always intended to create a Euro country. If you'd read the small print is section 43 (a), you'd have realised that. It's not our fault you're all cretins and didn't listen carefully enough."

On a point of order here, it's hardly in the smallprint.

The preamble to the treaty of Rome says "Determined to lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe"

It's right there on the first damn page.

If y'all were too lazy to even read the title cover you deserve to be bamboozled.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,670

This is the party that gave us IDS - in opposition, admittedly, but anything is possible - though the Tories do have a wonderful lesson on the folly of ensuring “a range of views” are represented from Labour...
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I think there's surprise about the oldies being so set on leaving. I'll give you a clue.

We voted IN on the basis we were dealing with a trade structure. We were lied to, and we still have functioning memories. As I've said before … 'Fool me once, more fool you - fool me twice, more fool me.'

If only you'd been watching Jean Monnet on Panorama in 1960... The rest of the thread below is interesting too.

https://twitter.com/EmporersNewC/status/1019597477358526465
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

currystar said:

The migration data from a few days ago. Non-EU migration up, EU migration down. Specifically EU migration was down heavily among those arriving without a job or those who arrived "looking for work". Non-EU migration tends to all be highly skilled as they need to satisfy visa requirements.
    I also read that non-EU student numbers especially from Asia have increase by a lot. So much for Brexit is ruining the reputation of the UK around the world.
  • Options

CD13 said:

The preamble to the treaty of Rome says "Determined to lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe"

If y'all were too lazy to even read the title cover you deserve to be bamboozled.
    You'll find that those of us who were minors in the 70s only had a chance to vote in 2016. Those fucking oldies in '75 didn't care about us yoofs.
  • Options
    John_M said:

It's quite an extensive treaty. However, the practical issue is the import of medical radioisotopes. We make some domestically, but things like technetium and radon come from Johnny Foreigner. Distance and time do matter.
    I'm sure whoever we are purchasing them from will want to ensure they can continue getting those exports after we exit. There's no reason we can't act as any other importer does.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Well people did read it (and live it) over the last 40 years and unsurprisingly voted to leave. Only very few (even among remainers) want to sign up to the federal superstate. The likes of @williamglenn are in a small minority that are hugely over represented in the media and at Westminster.
  • Options
    Mr Grabcocque,

"If y'all were too lazy to even read the title cover you deserve to be bamboozled."

What proportion of the population read and digest International treaties? What proportion of MPs do? 99% of voters have a life.

But you make my point very well. Have you thought of standing as an MP? It would be fun on the doorstep.

• Options
    Mrs C, to be fair, it wasn't the worst thing Tiberius ever did...

Mr. Eagles, not a huge surprise, although I'll be interested to see how many years it's for.
  • Options

Mrs C, to be fair, it wasn't the worst thing Tiberius ever did...

Mr. Eagles, not a huge surprise, although I'll be interested to see how many years it's for.

Until the end of the 2020 season.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,299

CD13 said:

This of course is one reason why Dave's was such a good deal. An explicit opt-out of that Page 1 stunna. It in effect would have allowed us to deem anything "ever closer union" and then press the red buzzer.

But don't get the Brex-o-loons started because he apparently achieved "nothing".
  • Options
    The point stands though. UK politicians have lied for generations that the EU project was solely about trade and regulatory alignment.

Sooner or later that combined mass of falsehoods UK politicians have told about the European integration project were going to collapse under their unsustainable weight.
  • Options

This is the party that gave us IDS - in opposition, admittedly, but anything is possible - though the Tories do have a wonderful lesson on the folly of ensuring “a range of views” are represented from Labour...
    All too true. It is an even sadder commentary that Corbyn may be the best of a terribly bad bunch.
  • Options

The point stands though. UK politicians have lied for generations that the EU project was solely about trade and regulatory alignment.

Sooner or later that combined mass of falsehoods UK politicians have told about the European integration project were going to collapse under their unsustainable weight.

Absolutely. The issue is that people like our very own williamglenn were in power and happy to try and use the ratchet and lock the UK into the EU in perpetuity. The leave vote is as much a fight back against unrestricted migration as it was a fight back at being blatantly lied to for 40 years about the nature of the EU.
  • Options
    Mr M,

"Those fucking oldies in '75 didn't care about us yoofs."

But we did care about being lied to. the fact that we believed what we were told makes us feel stupid, and that makes us angrier. This is what's called human nature.
  • Options

I think you're a bit harsh on both points.

The Praetorians worked fine, as long as the system for choosing emperors was working. The problem with them becoming king-makers developed initially out of a necessity which developed into an art-form. However, their role in that respect was reactive - it was a consequence of the imperial throne becoming culturally open to just about any ambitious general, millionaire or politician, rather than being restricted to a narrow ruling dynasty (barring exceptional circumstances).

Fairer point on the succession but again, that was a consequence of culture - in this case, Rome's antipathy to kings (Octavian had, after all witnessed (first hand?) Julius Caesar's attempt to be symbolically crowned. As such, he always concealed his absolute power within the nominal framework of the Republic and eschewed royal titles (despite spawning the later titles of emperor, prince, tsar, kaisar, and Augustus). In truth, the new emperors were the new kings of Rome but Rome was unwilling to acknowledge them as such because it offended their sense of identity and the myth of the Republic. Octavian was wise enough to recognise that. Problem is, as you say, how do you resolve that dichotomy when the realities of necessity clash with the pretence of appearances? For all that, considering the chaos Augustus inherited and the two centuries of internal peace that by and large was his legacy, I think you're being a bit picky.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

currystar said:

Even your dim wit should be able to comprehend that given a choice between filling out the 25 page questionnaire that post-Brexit Britain will require of prospective EU immigrants or getting a job in Germany, Sweden or the Netherlands will be an easy choice for most of the brightest and best.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Xenon said:

CJEU anyone?

Cherry picking Mr Herdson?
  • Options
    Meanwhile, one immigrant’s WhatsApp messages to me yesterday:

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Boris Johnson: It is not too late to save Brexit - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44871629

Should I find another nation?

Yes or no?

It's less than one year

Still have to know if I can stay here

How I can stay here

And if I want to leave if I can come back

It's revolting

And if I will be fully covered in terms of health care

Your country is becoming a joke not even the crappiest Italian government from the war would be able create such a massive uncertainty
  • Options

All too true. It is an even sadder commentary that Corbyn may be the best of a terribly bad bunch.
    Liz Kendall
    Neva4get
    You are wiv da angles now
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

currystar said:

Even your dim wit should be able to comprehend that given a choice between filling out the 25 page questionnaire that post-Brexit Britain will require of prospective EU immigrants or getting a job in Germany, Sweden or the Netherlands will be an easy choice for most of the brightest and best.
    And yet, all of those highly skilled non-EU migrants happily fill out those forms to get their tier 2 visas.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    TOPPING said:

CD13 said:

This of course is one reason why Dave's was such a good deal. An explicit opt-out of that Page 1 stunna. It in effect would have allowed us to deem anything "ever closer union" and then press the red buzzer.

But don't get the Brex-o-loons started because he apparently achieved "nothing".
    Well, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, innit? He achieved brexit.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, cheers. That's not a huge length of time.

Mr. Herdson, disagree. You might make that claim regarding Claudius but it was the Praetorians who proactively compelled Nerva to ditch his first choice and opt for Trajan as his new heir.

Basil II showed how a bodyguard could function with loyalty rather than self-interest when he created the Varangian Guard.

There was mostly peace for the first couple of centuries and then the Crisis of the Third Century occurred, fuelled in no small part to the donative (again dating back to the early emperors) and rule being based purely on military might.

It's a fair point you make on Roman allegedly antipathy to kings, but by this stage of republican corruption there were political dynasties aplenty.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

And yet, all of those highly skilled non-EU migrants happily fill out those forms to get their tier 2 visas.

Brexiteers: always horny for ever more bureaucracy.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    a very volatile market where the recent lines are all over the place indicating some knowledge of psychosis,especially Tory psychosis is required.To make any sense of it ,long-term trends still provide a clue so always lay the 1st and 2nd favourite,preferably having backed them first.I think what is happening here is more short-term trading activity,I imagine,Back-to-lay bets proving the most profitable.
    As a guide as to who will win the Tory leadership,I prefer the tea-leaves than this rather mad market.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

currystar said:

@MaxPB the man who believes that introducing an onerous new requirement will encourage immigrants.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

currystar said:

What other choice do they have ?
  • Options
    Mr. Cocque, some just want to be tied up with red tape ;)
  • Options
    ‪Shocked by this. I thought he’d have sent his in ages. Makes life awkward around the cabinet for Esther McVey. ‬
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

currystar said:

Indeed.

And ending the ability of large companies to source low wage labour from Europe might actually increase investment in innovation and technology.
  • Options
    Mr Glenn,

"If only you'd been watching Jean Monnet on Panorama in 1960... The rest of the thread below is interesting too."

My bad. I've asked my social secretary to check my diary for then. We didn't have a television then, and neither did anyone else on our council estate. That explains everything. It's all my own fault that I believed a word those lying politicians told me.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr M,

"Those fucking oldies in '75 didn't care about us yoofs."

But we did care about being lied to. the fact that we believed what we were told makes us feel stupid, and that makes us angrier. This is what's called human nature.

Harold Macmillan may have equivocated about political union in the 60s, but Ted Heath was very clear that the primary purpose of the Community was political, and he made the argument very openly in the major debates of the 1975 referendum campaign.

In any case, to the extent that the phenomenon you describe is true, how do you think people in 10 years time will think about Brexit if it goes ahead? They will think they were lied to about the sunlit uplands, lied to about control, lied to about Turkey, etc. Based on your logic Brexit is doomed in the long term, even if you somehow keep it alive for another 8 months.
  • Options

CD13 said:

It's the first clause of the first sentence:

https://ec.europa.eu/romania/sites/romania/files/tratatul_de_la_roma.pdf
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Brexiteers: always horny for ever more bureaucracy.
    Time to laminate all that paperwork.

I guess laminate is a bit like PVC, really easy to clean up.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited July 2018
    In my opinion, a hard Brexit or remaining in the EU are the two choices on the table. Chequers and its derivatives are all dead in the water.

It's obvious what the sane choice is!

Brexit=a calamity!

Brexiteers = xenophobes/little Englanders/thickos (delete as appropriate).
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

currystar said:

@MaxPB the man who believes that introducing an onerous new requirement will encourage immigrants.
    Where did I say that? Don't put words in my mouth. I specifically said "new rules". Nothing was said about existing rules, though I would be surprised if it made a dent to highly skilled migration if the existing rules were applied across the board. It would, however, discourage unskilled or low skilled migration as well as those arriving without a job.
  • Options
    surby said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

currystar said:

What other choice do they have ?
    Well, in @AlastairMeeks' world, not bothering. Yet somehow they still do.
  • Options

Liz Kendall
    Neva4get
    You are wiv da angles now
    I think that this was translated by the same people who did the govt's position paper for the EU
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    murali_s said:

In my opinion, a hard Brexit or remaining in the EU are the two choices on the table. Chequers and its derivatives are all dead in the water.

Brexit=a calamity!

Play the ball sir, not the man.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

currystar said:

Where did I say that? Don't put words in my mouth. I specifically said "new rules". Nothing was said about existing rules, though I would be surprised if it made a dent to highly skilled migration if the existing rules were applied across the board. It would, however, discourage unskilled or low skilled migration as well as those arriving without a job.
    New rules that are far more onerous than existing rules for a huge chunk of current immigrants. But you seem to think it will encourage them.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,294
    Anazina said:
    I have no idea what they hope to achieve
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,845

I think it will be Philip Davies.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    edited July 2018
    @Beverley_C

In light of our conversation on the last thread, you might find this of interest:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/25/eu-emergency-talks-brexit-berlin

Or this:

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2016/06/27/uk-trigger-article-50-immediately/

May did attempt to set out a position prior to this, but was then told it was unacceptable as the EU would only accept something else. They have not budged from that position even to the extent of endorsing policies pioneered by the apartheid regime in South Africa.

They are of course within their rights to do this. They may even believe they are serving the interests of the EU by doing so (I think they're wrong, as I've made clear, but that wouldn't be surprising given the dogmatic and less than intelligent people involved).

However, they have by doing this wrecked any chance of nudging us into EEA - which I and I think most remainers could live with - and given the Brexiteers political cover for their failure, as well as making it almost inconceivable we will ever rejoin the EU. They have behaved arrogantly, complacently and with a total lack of responsibility and deserve all the opprobrium they will get if the consequences for the EU are as negative as I fear.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,845
    murali_s said:

Brexit=a calamity!

One needs to be careful what one wishes for.

Assume that the Commons decide to revoke A.50 and the EU agrees. The next election for the EU Parliament would see UKIP win c.40% or so. Added to the Sweden Democrats, Law & Justice, Lega, FN, AFD, Fidesz, FPO, that's a great many troublemakers.
  • Options
    There were dissenting voices in 1975 who actually told the truth. A rag-taggle bunch of eccentrics widely disparaged by the media (what we now call the Establishment Elite).

Ted Heath was too enthusiastic about the EEC to lie - "yesterday's man", and so on.

Disowned then by the same people who now wear their superiority like a garland of honour, and who are wrong again.
  • Options
    Mr. F, bigger question is how would UKIP do at a General Election after a revocation of Article 50?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

There were dissenting voices in 1975 who actually told the truth. A rag-taggle bunch of eccentrics widely disparaged by the media (what we now call the Establishment Elite).

Ted Heath was too enthusiastic about the EEC to lie - "yesterday's man", and so on.

Disowned then by the same people who now wear their superiority like a garland of honour, and who are wrong again.

The next referendum will be unlike 2016 and 1975.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718

Mr. F, bigger question is how would UKIP do at a General Election after a revocation of Article 50?

Not really, how many MPs did they get when they were on 13%?
This discussion has been closed.