Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » BoJo back on top of the ConHome preferred next leader ratings

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » BoJo back on top of the ConHome preferred next leader ratings

Former Mayor of London and former foreign secretary, Boris Johnson, who quit the cabinet last month over the Chequers deal, has seen a remarkable upsurge in his fortunes in the monthly ConservativeHome survey of preferred next leader survey. He’s now on 29% up from the 8% of a month ago.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    Good morning.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    Second! Like Remain.....

On which:

"Remainers have to hope there is a crisis" in order to try to reverse Brexit, Grant pointed out.

He said that this was a "high-risk strategy", because many perceive it as "scaremongering."

Pressure for a second vote "will come with renewed force after summer," predicted Menon, because it will be the last chance for 'Remain' supporters, before the EU and the UK try to reach a deal and the UK parliament votes to ratify it.

According to the Sky TV poll, 78 percent of Britons think that the government is doing a bad job on Brexit, and 42 percent - against 31 percent - think that Brexit will be bad for them.

Grant insisted however that public opinion's "shift towards regret [was] very small."

He noted that Remain led by a few percentage points in recent polls, the trend was similar ahead of the June 2016. And while some Leave voters may turn to Remain, the opposite was also true, especially due to a perception that the EU is "bullying the British".

https://euobserver.com/uk-referendum/142503
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Is it me or does Boris look rather red in that picture...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    When in a hole....

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration plans to propose slapping a 25-percent tariff on $200 billion of imported Chinese goods after initially setting them at 10 percent, in a bid to pressure Beijing into making trade concessions, a source familiar with the plan said on Tuesday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-china/trump-to-propose-25-percent-tariff-on-200-bln-of-chinese-imports-source-idUSKBN1KM3B3?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Pretty sure it's photoshopped
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983

Just identifying with his core constituency. Living in the love of gammon people...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    Dura_Ace said:

Just identifying with his core constituency. Living in the love of gammon people...
    More a delicate shade of magenta.
    I think he has a white balance issue.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    RobD said:

Pretty sure it's photoshopped
    The hands behind also seem rather red.
  • Options
    Not very good headlines for Corbyn today. The top story on the BBC News website is this:

"Jeremy Corbyn apologises for hosting 2010 Holocaust event"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45027582

His comment is also funny: "Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has apologised for appearing on platforms with people whose views he "completely rejects".

He probably means he's stood on platforms with some Blairite wannabe-Tory war criminals once. ;)

• Options
    Off-topic:

A lot of lucky people in Mexico yesterday: a plane crashed on take-off, and it appears as though everyone has survived.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-45027112
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    OGH with a ConHome derived thread leader !!!!!!! .... Has the world gone mad?

Next we'll have Jezza at the Wailing Wall, Theresa May on the next series of "Love Island" with Trump and Vince Cable at the opening of an envelope.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Meanwhile .... In other wow news at the WTA San Jose event Jo Konta defeats Serena Williams 6:1 6:0 in the most lopsided loss of her career.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    edited August 2018
    He has been tested in high office and is widely seen to have failed that test. Really, that should be that.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

He has been tested in high office and is widely seen to have failed that test. Really, that should be that.

In a party that values ideology and talk above competence and action I suspect that too many think he's passed all his tests with flying colours. It's quite scary isn't it?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited August 2018
    This is why you should never pay any attention to "Con Home" readers, No one knows if they represent Tory views. They just (IIRC )have to state that they are a Tory voter... If they do vote Tory,, they are barking, and if they don't, then all the more reason to ignore them. Boris would be unthinkable as PM>
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    Well I have to say this is what I expected. The next Tory leader will be a Leaver. A Leaver who stands up for a real Brexit. And right now Boris is that man.

Javid will continue to fall and Hunt will never register. After May, Tory members are never going to take a chance on a Remainer who now says that they will implement Brexit after all.

Would be worth seeing the utter meltdown on this site of Boris did make it - I think it would be enough to get me back from Australia just for the show...
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    They want their own Trump but Boris isn't even that good. At least Trump is consistent in his world view.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855
    IanB2 said:

Yep, keep laying Boris. He might be popular over Brexit with the Conhome readership, but he’s got little chance of making it past the MPs who have seen his performance and know about all the skeletons.
  • Options

Off-topic:

A lot of lucky people in Mexico yesterday: a plane crashed on take-off, and it appears as though everyone has survived.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-45027112

It overran the runway on takeoff, rumours are of an engine failure in stormy conditions. Incredibly lucky if no fatalities is correct.
    https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/611718-aeromexico-crash.html
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited August 2018

Well I have to say this is what I expected. The next Tory leader will be a Leaver. A Leaver who stands up for a real Brexit. And right now Boris is that man.

Javid will continue to fall and Hunt will never register. After May, Tory members are never going to take a chance on a Remainer who now says that they will implement Brexit after all.

Would be worth seeing the utter meltdown on this site of Boris did make it - I think it would be enough to get me back from Australia just for the show...

Tory members won't get a free choice, and Boris won't make the final two. His back catalogue would make Jeremy Corbyn blush, and leadership rivals will make sure every Conservative MP (who are the ones who vote) knows it. And the N-word has gone out of fashion in the two years since Boris compared the EU to the third reich in its aim of taking over Europe.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    In an open field with multiple potential runners and no clear favourite, under the Tory system it's the views of the MPs that matter the most, yet we know little about their preferences. There is however plenty of anecdotal evidence that Boris hasn't got that many supporters.

The fact that his senior civil servants kept champagne on ice ready for his departure - and more to the point at least one of them was happy to make this fact known - is also telling.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Ask yourself which is more likely to be next Conservative party leader: Boris Johnson or Jacob Rees-Mogg (whose supporters BoJo is now stealing). But Jacob Rees-Mogg can be laid at shorter odds.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

This is why you should never pay any attention to "Con Home" readers, No one knows if they represent Tory views. They just (IIRC )have to state that they are a Tory voter... If they do vote Tory,, they are barking, and if they don't, then all the more reason to ignore them. Boris would be unthinkable as PM>

Corbyn makes Boris look like Churchill, and May like the illegitimate lovechild of Blair and Thatcher.

If Boris is unthinkable as PM, then what about Corbyn? A passive anti-Semite who seems to hate everything about Britain; a man who offers no workable answers and has an utter tin ear to criticism. Someone who celebrated the people who brought Venezuela to its knees, and who feted the IRA even as they were trying (and sometimes succeeding) in killing his fellow MPs?

Yet he might well become PM. Such are the depths Brexit has reduced us to.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Freggles said:

They want their own Trump but Boris isn't even that good. At least Trump is consistent in his world view.

Just because you haven't seen Trump's other letter welcoming in more Mexicans...
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

Tory members won't get a free choice, and Boris won't make the final two. His back catalogue would make Jeremy Corbyn blush, and leadership rivals will make sure every Conservative MP (who are the ones who vote) knows it. And the N-word has gone out of fashion in the two years since Boris compared the EU to the third reich in its aim of taking over Europe.
    Conservative MPs care about one thing and one thing only. Holding their seats. If Boris is the guy that is popular with the public, they will vote for him without a second thought. And since the Tory vote will never recover if a Remainer is in charge (because the Tory base won't stand for it) they will have to pick a Leaver.

If Boris does fall, JRM will be there to pick up the torch. Careful what you wish for!
  • Options
    So John McDonnell’s dead cat on the virtual front page of the Independent is the old Universal Basic Income, one of those things that looks great in theory but just can’t be made to add up in practice.

Assume universality and a payment of £100pw for adults and £50pw for children, this works out around £280bn per year.

This would require scrapping of the following:
    Personal allowances for income tax
    Minimum wage
    State pension
    Tax credits
    Child benefit
    Unemployment benefit
    And the big one:
    ***HOUSING BENEFIT***

And yet still come up £100bn short.

For anyone not disabled this would be their only benefit and would remove a number of existing protections. From a Labour Party point of view it would also result in a large number of redundancies in the bureaucracies, possibly several hundred thousand in total as whole departments like DWP could be wound up.

There would also be a lot of questions to answer about immigration and eligibility. UBI would certainly not work if 500m EU citizens were entitled to it, if workers here could claim for dependents living abroad, how it works for Brits living abroad (especially with regard to pensions) etc.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Something for the gourmands who post here.
  • Options

Corbyn makes Boris look like Churchill, and May like the illegitimate lovechild of Blair and Thatcher.

If Boris is unthinkable as PM, then what about Corbyn? A passive anti-Semite who seems to hate everything about Britain; a man who offers no workable answers and has an utter tin ear to criticism. Someone who celebrated the people who brought Venezuela to its knees, and who feted the IRA even as they were trying (and sometimes succeeding) in killing his fellow MPs?

Yet he might well become PM. Such are the depths Brexit has reduced us to.
    The absolutely key difference is that Labour's election was up to its members (and £3 joiners)
  • Options

Conservative MPs care about one thing and one thing only. Holding their seats. If Boris is the guy that is popular with the public, they will vote for him without a second thought. And since the Tory vote will never recover if a Remainer is in charge (because the Tory base won't stand for it) they will have to pick a Leaver.

If Boris does fall, JRM will be there to pick up the torch. Careful what you wish for!
    You make Conservative MPs sound brain-dead and venal ...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,971
    Good morning, everyone.

On the news last night there was an excerpt from a statement from Jeremy Hunt. It was quite nice having a Foreign Secretary who isn't a bloody oaf.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The Dan Hodges who attacked the Jewish leader of the Labour party day in and day out for five years.
  • Options

Ask yourself which is more likely to be next Conservative party leader: Boris Johnson or Jacob Rees-Mogg (whose supporters BoJo is now stealing). But Jacob Rees-Mogg can be laid at shorter odds.

No Hope and Bob Hope?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

So John McDonnell’s dead cat on the virtual front page of the Independent is the old Universal Basic Income, one of those things that looks great in theory but just can’t be made to add up in practice.

Assume universality and a payment of £100pw for adults and £50pw for children, this works out around £280bn per year.

Minimum wage
    State pension
    Tax credits
    Child benefit
    Unemployment benefit
    And the big one:
    ***HOUSING BENEFIT***

For anyone not disabled this would be their only benefit and would remove a number of existing protections. From a Labour Party point of view it would also result in a large number of redundancies in the bureaucracies, possibly several hundred thousand in total as whole departments like DWP could be wound up.

There would also be a lot of questions to answer about immigration and eligibility. UBI would certainly not work if 500m EU citizens were entitled to it, if workers here could claim for dependents living abroad, how it works for Brits living abroad (especially with regard to pensions) etc.

The funny thing is that universal basic income is actually a right wing idea, not left, though it used to be called negative income tax.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Sandpit said:

No Hope and Bob Hope?
    Both are probably lays. But start with the one at ridiculously short odds as opposed to the one at ungenerous odds.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Wow! Corbyn has physically aged a hell of a lot in 8 years! Quite a feat for someone who never grows up mentally.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Scott_P said:
    More to the point, Dan, he wishes to preserve his right to continue to do so.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    The Dan Hodges who attacked the Jewish leader of the Labour party day in and day out for five years.
    To be fair, he wasn't attacking Miliband because he was Jewish. Being Jewish does not mean you cannot be criticised - as long as Hodges did not criticise him for being Jewish. Which I doubt Hodges ever did.

(Having said that, Hodges is a bit of a talking head, which means he's probably written several conflicting views at the same time.)
  • Options
    The most important political story overnight was Facebook identifying Russian-backed accounts aimed at influencing this year's American elections. It's lucky that nice Mr Putin has no interest in British politics, or in breaking up the EU.
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-election-facebook/facebook-says-it-uncovered-new-meddling-before-2018-us-elections-idUKKBN1KL2FH
  • Options
    Is the anti-semitism story ever going to end? I thought Baroness (ahem) Chakrabarti gave them a clean bill of health? :p
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983
    Sandpit said:

Minimum wage
    State pension
    Tax credits
    Child benefit
    Unemployment benefit
    And the big one:
    ***HOUSING BENEFIT***

Nobody gives a shit whether anything adds up or can be accurately costed - if we can afford Brexit we can afford anything. McDonnell's idea will probably be very popular.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Sandpit said:

Minimum wage
    State pension
    Tax credits
    Child benefit
    Unemployment benefit
    And the big one:
    ***HOUSING BENEFIT***

The funny thing is that universal basic income is actually a right wing idea, not left, though it used to be called negative income tax.
    Yes, variations have been proposed by people of pretty much all political persuasion over the years. It could probably be done if setting up a State from scratch or transferring from communism like Venezuela, but the difficulty (like with Brexit and anything really complicated) is the transition from the status quo to the desired end point. Universal credit is another example of this, as is the much-mooted combining of income tax and NI. It’s also something while a pilot scheme is useless,, because it just isn’t possible to make the changes necessary for only a small proportion of the population.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    Corbyn on front page of bbc news web.

The McD dead cat has failed.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    What is the question that Boris is the answer to? particularly in a post Brexit leadership contest?

• Options

Scott_P said:
    More to the point, Dan, he wishes to preserve his right to continue to do so.
    Yep. I doubt very much Corbyn can see what the issue is. And the apology has been prised out of him by McD.

• Options
    RobD said:

Is the anti-semitism story ever going to end? I thought Baroness (ahem) Chakrabarti gave them a clean bill of health? :p

I never really liked Chakrabarti, and felt she was always rather one-sided on complex issues. Mrs J always disagreed with me, and quite liked her.

I'm pleased to say that Mrs J now seems more disgusted with her than I am. I get the impression that Chakrabarti's time at Liberty was not about preserving and promoting concepts of liberty and freedom, but about progressing her own little career.

She has been exposed as a fraud.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Scott_P said:
    I think that is the weakest point ever made on pb, and probably on the internet. I do sympathise though, Corbyn's apology does put the plus anti-sémitique que le roi lot in an awkward position.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116

Sandpit said:

Minimum wage
    State pension
    Tax credits
    Child benefit
    Unemployment benefit
    And the big one:
    ***HOUSING BENEFIT***

So were tax credits of course. They were, it has to be said, not one of the right's more intelligent ideas, but the shambolic way they were implemented may have had a bearing on this.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Minimum wage
    State pension
    Tax credits
    Child benefit
    Unemployment benefit
    And the big one:
    ***HOUSING BENEFIT***

Nobody gives a shit whether anything adds up or can be accurately costed - if we can afford Brexit we can afford anything. McDonnell's idea will probably be very popular.
    That's an incredibly revealing statement about the current Labour Party.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    deleted
  • Options
  • Options
    I thought she was on holiday? She certainly needs one.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

No Hope and Bob Hope?
    Both are probably lays. But start with the one at ridiculously short odds as opposed to the one at ungenerous odds.
    I can see why JRM is popular with conservative right wing libertarians, but the odds on him as next leader are silly, doubly so in government, and he shows no interest in being anything but a backbencher (with substantial outside earnings). He should be 100/1.

Boris should be a little shorter, maybe 25/1, as the odds of the MPs messing up their selection and sending him to the members against a hardcore remainer like Morgan or Rudd.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    Is Boris really *that* colour, or has a bit of Photoshop flamingo been added?

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

No Hope and Bob Hope?
    I can see why JRM is popular with conservative right wing libertarians, but the odds on him as next leader are silly, doubly so in government, and he shows no interest in being anything but a backbencher (with substantial outside earnings). He should be 100/1.

Boris should be a little shorter, maybe 25/1, as the odds of the MPs messing up their selection and sending him to the members against a hardcore remainer like Morgan or Rudd.
    Can't see how those two even get nominated, to be honest. Hunt would surely be the front running Remain candidate now.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

You start off correctly by saying that Tory MPs will vote for whoever will preserve their seats, then rush in to draw the entirely wrong conculsion from it.

When it comes to retaining marginals neither Boris or JRM is the guy. Both of them play well in very safe Tory seats in the south of England but dreadfully in the marginals in the north and Scotland.

As an example there are 13 tory mps in Scotland, a party led by either Boris or JRM would lose every single seat.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

She cut short her holiday to beg the French for help.

That is Brexit Britain...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Tezza's cunning plan for UK only passport lanes means we will have to queue for longer while EU citizens breeze through more quickly and easily.

Another genius Brexit dividend...
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Scott_P said:
    Non-sequitor post of the day award is very early today. If you read Corbyn's apology it is cleverly worded. I detect the hand of Seamus Milne.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Scott_P said:
    Wow! Corbyn has physically aged a hell of a lot in 8 years! Quite a feat for someone who never grows up mentally.
    Reverse Dorian Gray?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Tezza's cunning plan for UK only passport lanes means we will have to queue for longer while EU citizens breeze through more quickly and easily.

How does that work?
  • Options

RobD said:

I never really liked Chakrabarti, and felt she was always rather one-sided on complex issues. Mrs J always disagreed with me, and quite liked her.

I'm pleased to say that Mrs J now seems more disgusted with her than I am. I get the impression that Chakrabarti's time at Liberty was not about preserving and promoting concepts of liberty and freedom, but about progressing her own little career.

She did nevertheless get to carry the Olympic flag.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

She did nevertheless get to carry the Olympic flag.
    And her report was designed to run rings round Labour's critics as well.

I'll get my coat.
  • Options

RobD said:

I quite like Shami.

Boris, Jezza or Cable. If these are the best we can do then we are truly circling the plughole.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138

Good morning, everyone.

On the news last night there was an excerpt from a statement from Jeremy Hunt. It was quite nice having a Foreign Secretary who isn't a bloody oaf.

Apart from the small detail of forgetting the nationality of his wife when it should have been an asset he has fitted in rather well. The contrast with Boris is quite telling, not least because the FO now seems to be a part of our drive to get a deal with the EU rather than a somewhat unreliable outsider in the process.

Boris's time as FS was not much short of a disaster for both the country and for his own ambition. I find his rise in this poll perplexing.
  • Options

RobD said:

Sadly so.

Like a number of charities, Liberty changed over time from standing up to those in real need across the world to criticising Western governments.

Chakrabati showed her true colours by writing the whitewash report for Labour, in what clearly smells like an exchange for a Peerage.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    MattW said:

Not really possible to tell without the original .CR2 or .NEF

Here's what I got from Lightroom on the picture as taken from here - note the hands behind Boris in the original are very red. I certainly think the hue for the red channel has been changed by whoever originally posted the picture (Not this site obvs). Note also the pink-red flecks in the wood behind Boris

Here's a quick edit to make Boris appear less pink !

https://twitter.com/Pulpstar/status/1024543896494370816
  • Options
    The real story of this poll is the continued non-rehabilitation of Michael Gove as leaver-in-chief.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

I quite like Shami.

Boris, Jezza or Cable. If these are the best we can do then we are truly circling the plughole.
    As a matter of interest, why do you like her?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Here's a thought... perhaps they'd allocate the staff differently in such a scenario.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    When bargaining with the EU,will Johnson offer Merkel her second-hand water cannon back or are they still watering the playingfields of Eton?
  • Options

You start off correctly by saying that Tory MPs will vote for whoever will preserve their seats, then rush in to draw the entirely wrong conculsion from it.

When it comes to retaining marginals neither Boris or JRM is the guy. Both of them play well in very safe Tory seats in the south of England but dreadfully in the marginals in the north and Scotland.

As an example there are 13 tory mps in Scotland, a party led by either Boris or JRM would lose every single seat.
    Not sure about that but it wouldn't help. But then May didn't help much either and was basically kept out of Scotland last time around. The recovery of the Tories in Scotland is all down to Ruth and she would remain front and centre. What she would say about either Boris or JRM is, of course, another matter. She's not exactly been complimentary in the past.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

I quite like Shami.

We're still circling? Good to know there's an optimist out there!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Do they really think that the border staff wouldn’t open appropriate numbers of each type of line according to demand?? Like they do already!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818

LOL, I see Hunt makes the previous Buffoon that held the office look clever. He gets mixed up whether his wife is Chinese or Japanese, what a gaffe. Typical Tory attitude to a johnny foreigner, :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

How does that work?
    It just happens in the quite likely event that you have more uk than rest of eu arrivals at any particular time, which probably happens now and will happen more then. Unless you over-allocate UK lanes to spite the frog and the hun.
  • Options

Foxy said:

RobD said:

I quite like Shami.

Lovely eyes and soft voice.

:)
  • Options
    Dan Hodges is a bitter, little man who should be taken with a pinch of salt. His gig will be up at the Daily Mail when they have no further use for him.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    Do they really think that the border staff wouldn’t open appropriate numbers of each type of line according to demand?? Like they do already!
    It also presupposes that the new 'British' lanes will be in addition to, rather than instead of, the current arrangements where we're all together with other EU passport holders. I am not sure this is the correct assumption.

Edit - also with passports increasingly reliant on technology I think this may well become more or less redundant before long anyway.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

Here's what I got from Lightroom on the picture as taken from here - note the hands behind Boris in the original are very red. I certainly think the hue for the red channel has been changed by whoever originally posted the picture (Not this site obvs). Note also the pink-red flecks in the wood behind Boris

:-).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

No Hope and Bob Hope?

Can't see how those two even get nominated, to be honest. Hunt would surely be the front running Remain candidate now.
    LOL, you have to be joking the clown thinks his Japanese wife is Chinese, how bad can the Tories get and where do they find these cretins. Is it any wonder the English NHS is in a dire state when donkeys like that are responsible for it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

Doing God's work...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

Rather than someone having a sly dig at "Gammon" Boris, that more life-like image now makes you look at the pain of regret etched across his face......
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Here's a thought... perhaps they'd allocate the staff differently in such a scenario.
    WHen I came home from Italy on Saturday night there were effectively UK only lines for those bloody silly electronic passport machines. For the first time ever they actually recognised me. Even more remarkably they recognised my 15 year old son who looks nothing like the little 11 year old in the picture. My wife, however, (who is unchanging, at least in my eyes) had to go to the manual check.

This is yet another non story, we are drowning in them these days.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    It would be more harmful to Britain if foreigners have to queue longer. Brits have to come home but foreign tourists and business people can take their lovely, lovely Euros elsewhere.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

LOL, I see Hunt makes the previous Buffoon that held the office look clever. He gets mixed up whether his wife is Chinese or Japanese, what a gaffe. Typical Tory attitude to a johnny foreigner, :)
    Maybe they all look the same to him. :lol:
  • Options

The real story of this poll is the continued non-rehabilitation of Michael Gove as leaver-in-chief.

His loyalty to the PM and the Chequers compromise is clearly costing him. The underlying story of the poll is how unpopular that proposal (which has been rejected anyway, natch) was with the membership.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

How does that work?
    It just happens in the quite likely event that you have more uk than rest of eu arrivals at any particular time, which probably happens now and will happen more then. Unless you over-allocate UK lanes to spite the frog and the hun.
    Surely that’s the point, you adjust the lanes so the Brits on average go through quicker than now. 100 people - 70 Brits 30 EU, 10 lanes, 10 people per lane now. Give the Brits say 8 lanes out of the 10 means the Brits go through quicker.

No need to be petty about it for the sake just to slow down foreigners disproportionately , but that’s the drift in the numbers.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

No Hope and Bob Hope?

LOL, you have to be joking the clown thinks his Japanese wife is Chinese, how bad can the Tories get and where do they find these cretins. Is it any wonder the English NHS is in a dire state when donkeys like that are responsible for it.
    I don't think a party where Angela Constance was a candidate for Depute Leader is in any position to criticise, TBF. :smile:
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sadly so.

Like a number of charities, Liberty changed over time from standing up to those in real need across the world to criticising Western governments.

Chakrabati showed her true colours by writing the whitewash report for Labour, in what clearly smells like an exchange for a Peerage.
    In a crowded field, it is hard to think of a politician who has had their reputation more thoroughly trashed in recent years.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    WHen I came home from Italy on Saturday night there were effectively UK only lines for those bloody silly electronic passport machines. For the first time ever they actually recognised me. Even more remarkably they recognised my 15 year old son who looks nothing like the little 11 year old in the picture. My wife, however, (who is unchanging, at least in my eyes) had to go to the manual check.

What makes the machines effectively UK only?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

His loyalty to the PM and the Chequers compromise is clearly costing him. The underlying story of the poll is how unpopular that proposal (which has been rejected anyway, natch) was with the membership.
    So it's not all bad news then?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

I quite like Shami.

So has Kylie Minogue. Doesn’t mean we should trust her to write a report on anti Semitism either!
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

What makes the machines effectively UK only?
    My understanding, and IANAE, is that they are set up to check the passport against the UK databases for both valid passports and warrants etc. I don't think we would have access to that sort of information from other EU countries but I could be wrong. On the flight I was on there were some Italians and they were directed to an EU channel.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

What is costing him with members is that he knifed Boris and left us with May running (ruining, in their eyes) Brexit. That won't be forgotten.

Plus, with his record of leaking, he comes across as a terrible snitch who can't keep a secret. Not PM material.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Maybe they all look the same to him. :lol:
    But he didn't quote a Kipling poem saying that, so the direction of travel is good.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

I quite like Shami.

Ah, yes. She is not unattractive. But she is someone who has risen in prominence by pretending to have firm values, and has thoroughly debased those values.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

So it's not all bad news then?
    The Chequers compromise is looking right up there with the backstop arrangement as another May disaster. To lose so many ministers and so much support in the party and Parliament without getting a clear understanding in advance that it was a runner would be completely bewildering, if it was not for her consistent track record.
This discussion has been closed.