Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Away from Trump/Brexit/Antisemitism Sean Fear on the perils of

Comments

• India have a 50 partnership for the last wicket and still going with Kohli on 143 not out and the eleventh man on 1 not out.
  • Pubs, like libraries, inspire a lot of irrational sentimentality.

Irrational and largely undeserved. Far from being an important social hub, if you go into the average pub it usually contains the same few, angry, lonely, alcoholic old men, mumbling sullenly about nothing.

Basically like this place but with a stronger stench of stale urine.
    Hey. Less of the stale please...
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

Post Office have headed the same way as Pub Co. Though not as bad, they do expect the owner to subsidise any post office by using their own staff and premises and all rates, rents, utilities etc paid for by owner, and not PO.
    PO are no longer able to be stand alone businesses.

My local village shop has an embedded post office. It’s fairly popular.

How does the village shop survive?

I asked the owner that question. They sell, stationery, takeaway coffee, takeaway ready meals and fresh organic produce that you’d get in Waitrose but undercut their prices. Also do fresh bread and pastries. They also deliver several hundred newspapers a day, and magazines a week, which is apparently more profitable than I thought. They also offer cash withdrawals.

It also helps they are right opposite the village pub and open 6am-8pm a day.
    My understanding is that you have to be up early (6am) to accept the newspapers and start assembling the newpaper supplements into the main newspapers ready to deliver them or have them available for customers to collect. This is stoppig our pub/post office from taking on newspapers as well.
    My local newsagent, in the same place for decades, has been driven mad by a new tenant in the flat next door constantly complaining about noisy deliveries at 6 AM, to the Council amongst others. It put me in mid of this (probably photoshopped) tweet. Great responses too.

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1024725216071770112?s=19
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    About time. Quite a stand.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733
    And it worked...

Eventually.

If England had batted sensibly yesterday they would have a huge first innings lead.

If they had held their catches they would also have a huge first innings lead.

Just 13 isn't going to be enough if Ashwin gets going.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,559
    Last wicket partnership of 57.
    Yadav made 1.
  • Nigelb said:

Last wicket partnership of 57.
    Yadav made 1.

1 not out !
  • Pubs, like libraries, inspire a lot of irrational sentimentality.

Irrational and largely undeserved. Far from being an important social hub, if you go into the average pub it usually contains the same few, angry, lonely, alcoholic old men, mumbling sullenly about nothing.

Basically like this place but with a stronger stench of stale urine.
    I'm not sure what pubs you've been visiting recently, but the ones left in my little country town are mostly quite nice. There is still a dole claimants' boozer as well, but most of the dives have already been driven out of business.

The village hostelry near where my Mum lives is very pleasant as well.

Meanwhile, on the news, the inevitable blend of whining and satisfaction over today's tiddly rise in interest rates.
  • ydoethur said:

And it worked...

Eventually.

If England had batted sensibly yesterday they would have a huge first innings lead.

If .........

Somebody should write a poem about that.

edited August 2018
    Foxy said:

Post Office have headed the same way as Pub Co. Though not as bad, they do expect the owner to subsidise any post office by using their own staff and premises and all rates, rents, utilities etc paid for by owner, and not PO.

I asked the owner that question. They sell, stationery, takeaway coffee, takeaway ready meals and fresh organic produce that you’d get in Waitrose but undercut their prices. Also do fresh bread and pastries. They also deliver several hundred newspapers a day, and magazines a week, which is apparently more profitable than I thought. They also offer cash withdrawals.

My understanding is that you have to be up early (6am) to accept the newspapers and start assembling the newpaper supplements into the main newspapers ready to deliver them or have them available for customers to collect. This is stoppig our pub/post office from taking on newspapers as well.
    My local newsagent, in the same place for decades, has been driven mad by a new tenant in the flat next door constantly complaining about noisy deliveries at 6 AM, to the Council amongst others. It put me in mid of this (probably photoshopped) tweet. Great responses too.

I particularly remember somebody who bought a manor house next to a country church famed for its peal of ten bells, and then complained long, loudly and angrily that they woken at 9 on every Sunday morning by the noise.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Nigelb said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

My sister's local pub (as in, two doors down) has just been brutally torn apart in just the fashion described. But they are now selling the freehold. Thing is, although it's an itneresting building it's not really suitable for residential use and at the same time it's not in a good position to be a successful local - it's on the edge of a town not near the middle. Although she was very upset, I was frankly surprised it hadn't closed earlier (and when I'm in Dursley I go to the Old Spot in the town centre or the George in Cam for preference anyway).

It's been empty five months so far, could see it being on the market for two years.

Another factor in the demise of pubs has been the escalating housing market. Many pub buildings are worth more as houses than pubs.
    Country pubs are a lost cause, the business model depended on enough drunks (meaning, in the country, enough self-driving drunks) coming in night after night to polish off a week's worth of units in an evening, and smoke. Hankering for their return is pure back to the fifties stuff. It's like village shops, the people who lament their loss use them about once a year when they run out of butter and discover that the mark-up is such that it's worth driving the extra 5 miles to Tesco even if all you want is butter.
    Just wait for the drink drive limit to be reduced to the same level as Scotland. It has really hurt country pubs up here.
    The killer app for self-driving cars.
    Absobloodylutely. The day self driving cars work properly, they’ll like having your own private driver. What percentage of white collar businessmen are going to stop for “a couple” on the way home?

The Pub Cos and breweries need to be funding SD car research and testing.

Is ScooterMan still going in London and Manchester? The guy who drives you home in your car with a collapsible moped in the boot, which he then rides home himself. He’s more expensive than a taxi, but cheaper than two taxis and the risk of a morning parking ticket.

ydoethur said:

And it worked...

Eventually.

If .........

Somebody should write a poem about that.

Manchester SU would complain angrily and paint it out.
    Foxy said:

Very good. Those complaining about there being an airport at Heathrow can be put into the same category.
  • Rashid gets Kohli out

After Kohli had scored 149 runs.
  • England now face a tricky 10 minutes batting against the Indian bowling.
  • StonchStonch Posts: 42
    Hello everyone! Remember me? I used to comment here. Since then I became a pub landlord!
  • Stonch said:

Hello everyone! Remember me? I used to comment here. Since then I became a pub landlord!

Mine's a pint of bitter please.

England now face a tricky 10 minutes batting against the Indian bowling.

If ever there was a time to send out a couple of night watchmen...
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Amazing batting from Kohli. Shite from the rest though.
    Sandpit said:

Well, they have sent out Alistair Cook...
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    ydoethur said:

I particularly remember somebody who bought a manor house next to a country church famed for its peal of ten bells, and then complained long, loudly and angrily that they woken at 9 on every Sunday morning by the noise.

There is a flip side to this.

I live next to a pub with a beer garden. It is a tightly packed street of terraced properties - not often you find pub gardens under such circumstances.

For the first 10 years of living here, the landlord (who had been there forever) ran a quiet pub - a place with log fires and a battered game of Scrabble. The garden was hard, if ever, used.

It was a quiet pub with loyal regulars.

He then retired and the replacement started to turn the place into a music venue - including outside music events in the tiny garden. It turned out due to a quirk with the licence for this particular venue that he could do so without restriction. On the day of the Diamond Jubilee I think it was, he had placed large speakers in the garden - right against the party wall to my house. It was so loud that you couldn't hear yourself think - and the vibrations from the bass speakers made the house shake.

Thankfully he moved on shortly after only to be replaced by another guy who wanted to run frequent outdoor music events. As well as keeping the garden open until midnight (and frequently beyond)

None of this amounted to nuisance noise according to the council. Even though it was massively disruptive to the entire neighbourhood. The brewery weren't interested in helping.

My landlords needed to do some urgent repairs - which required putting scaffolding up in the pub garden to allow access to the gable end to our roof. This created some bad feeling between the builder and the pub landlord - who then threatened to put even more music events on by way of retribution.

He didn't - but that wasn't the point.

As a resident, you have no right to object to Temporary Event Notices. You don't get any consultation over licencing arrangements.

We have another tenant landlord now who tried his luck with keeping the garden open and the like. Thankfully I was able to get the council involved who reminded him in direct terms that he had to abide by the rules - which he has, by and large, done.

So sometimes residents near pubs do have a right to get upset by the noise. When the character of a pub radically changes - which happens quite frequently - so can the impact on the local community. That community has a right to register their displeasure if those changes are detrimental.

And, as a side issue, why do so many pubs feel it necessary to have Open Mic nights? Surely there is a very limited market for people who actually want to listen to such stuff!
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Ouch!
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Ouch!
    And there we have it.
    Alastair Cook, thank you and goodnight.
  • daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    edited August 2018
    ydoethur said:

Too long - the sentence should state "Alistair Cook - out".

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Ouch!
    And there we have it.
    Why is he f******* in the team in the first place, he’s useless.
  • volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Good stuff from Sean F.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    A thread not about Brexit or Corbyn :o
  • StonchStonch Posts: 42

ydoethur said:

And, as a side issue, why do so many pubs feel it necessary to have Open Mic nights? Surely there is a very limited market for people who actually want to listen to such stuff!

I have one in my pub once a month and it's a forum for really talented musicians to come together, and new ones to join what is effectively a bit of a club. My pub's in a tourist hotspot and visitors who happen to come for supper on that night are invariably elated at what goes on.
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Pulpstar said:

Give it time ;).
  • Pulpstar said:

No. It appears to be about cricket.

Which there will be no more of in these parts after Brexit, because everyone will have died of starvation.
    edited August 2018
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Ouch!
    And there we have it.
    Because he's scored 30 Test centuries, so they live in hope of a time when that comes round again.

And because all other openers in England are just as bad and don't have 12,000 runs at 45.

Edit - also, like Strauss towards the end, he's churning runs out below Test level, suggesting the problem is nerve rather than technique:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/18701/report/1145672/day/1/england-lions-vs-india-only-unofficial-test-india-england-2018
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

ydoethur said:

There is a flip side to this.

I live next to a pub with a beer garden. It is a tightly packed street of terraced properties - not often you find pub gardens under such circumstances.

For the first 10 years of living here, the landlord (who had been there forever) ran a quiet pub - a place with log fires and a battered game of Scrabble. The garden was hard, if ever, used.

It was a quiet pub with loyal regulars.

As a resident, you have no right to object to Temporary Event Notices. You don't get any consultation over licencing arrangements.

We have another tenant landlord now who tried his luck with keeping the garden open and the like. Thankfully I was able to get the council involved who reminded him in direct terms that he had to abide by the rules - which he has, by and large, done.

So sometimes residents near pubs do have a right to get upset by the noise. When the character of a pub radically changes - which happens quite frequently - so can the impact on the local community. That community has a right to register their displeasure if those changes are detrimental.

I agree, change of use is a different issue.

A decade ago the flightpath to East Midlands airport was shifted to directly over my house. As an airfreight airport it is unique in England in flying right through the night, and cargo planes tend to be older and noisier. It took me ages to be able to sleep through when the windows were open.

It works both ways though. I lived 3 doors from a dyeworks once, and the noise from the dyeing machines rumbled all day, apart from Sunday. Never has a new housing development been so welcomed by the neighbours. it added 15% to the value of the property too.

He then retired and the replacement started to turn the place into a music venue - including outside music events in the tiny garden. It turned out due to a quirk with the licence for this particular venue that he could do so without restriction. On the day of the Diamond Jubilee I think it was, he had placed large speakers in the garden - right against the party wall to my house. It was so loud that you couldn't hear yourself think - and the vibrations from the bass speakers made the house shake.

Thankfully he moved on shortly after only to be replaced by another guy who wanted to run frequent outdoor music events. As well as keeping the garden open until midnight (and frequently beyond)

None of this amounted to nuisance noise according to the council. Even though it was massively disruptive to the entire neighbourhood. The brewery weren't interested in helping.

My landlords needed to do some urgent repairs - which required putting scaffolding up in the pub garden to allow access to the gable end to our roof. This created some bad feeling between the builder and the pub landlord - who then threatened to put even more music events on by way of retribution.

Yes, I see your point. But in contrast to your new pub landlord, the church bells were there, and had been there for several centuries, before this person bought his Manor House.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    edited August 2018

Pubs, like libraries, inspire a lot of irrational sentimentality.

Both are vital parts of the community, the former particularly in non-metropolitan areas.

Nothing intrinsically irrational or sentimental about it in my view.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited August 2018

Pulpstar said:

Which there will be no more of in these parts after Brexit, because everyone will have died of starvation.
    Leavers love cricket. Something the EU is no good at.

For the rest of us it is supremely boring.
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

That’s a good idea, a UK vs EU cricket match. There’s a few good Irish and Dutch players out there for a limited overs game
    edited August 2018
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Ouch!
    And there we have it.
    Because he's scored 30 Test centuries, so they live in hope of a time when that comes round again.

And because all other openers in England are just as bad and don't have 12,000 runs at 45.

Edit - also, like Strauss towards the end, he's churning runs out below Test level, suggesting the problem is nerve rather than technique:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/18701/report/1145672/day/1/england-lions-vs-india-only-unofficial-test-india-england-2018
    The problem is that he’s been picked for what he’s done in the past, rather than what he’s capable of doing at the moment. Last summer and this, he’s more likely to be out for a dozen or two than for a hundred or two.
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

That’s a good idea, a UK vs EU cricket match. There’s a few good Irish and Dutch players out there for a limited overs game
    Winner takes sovereignty.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    I grew up in a pub.
    Every word Sean wrote is absolutely true. It's a vile model, which relies on attracting people who have rosy-tinted fantasies of pub life, wrings them dry of their life's savings while working them to death (my mother once worked out she'd not had a day off in over twelve years, and these were long and arduous days), and throwing them on to the discard pile while ushering the next suckers in.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45043647

So the speech might be back on.

Why do the terms 'piss up' and 'brewery' come to mind with their handling of this?
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,880
    Great piece. And a great opportunity for some politician/to do something popular and right.
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Ouch!
    And there we have it.

The problem is that he’s been picked for what he’s done in the past, rather than what he’s capable of doing at the moment. Last summer and this, he’s more likely to be out for a dozen or two than for a hundred or two.
    I think only one England opener has scored more than 180 in first class cricket this season - Rory Burns.

Although Cook is struggling in Tests, I can sort of see the logic in picking him when (a) there isn't a settled opener at the other end and (b) none of the other openers are any good either.

Why do the terms 'piss up' and 'brewery' come to mind with their handling of this?

Because nobody wants to think about Corbyn organising an orgy in a brothel if his taste in women encompasses Diane Abbott.

If I was the Jewish museum I would want a copy of his speech before I agreed to do anything. You can't trust Jezza further than you can throw him.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Perhaps ENA vs Eton over the Ashes of English Brexit?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Off-topic: before this year the only experience I'd had with hayfever like symptoms was whilst walking through a field of oil-seed rape many years ago; my trousers were yellow from the pollen, and I got a streaming nose, sore throat and running eyes - symptoms which disappeared within a short while after leaving the field. I've always thought of this as mechanical overload rather than hayfever.

A similar thing happened a month or so ago whilst walking through long grass atop a floodbank, and today I have a slight sore throat and runny nose. But the strange thing is that Mrs J, who has never had any hayfever-like symptoms, is really suffering today, especially whilst outside. We have done nothing unusual outside our daily routine.

That's enough whinging. So, two questions: is hayfever expected to be really bad this time of year, and do you get more susceptible to it as you get older?

And a final third question - any suggestions to how I can make my darling love more comfortable, as she's really suffering? I'm getting her lots of water, and bought some Pirititeze.

TIA.
    TOPPING said:

If I was the Jewish museum I would want a copy of his speech before I agreed to do anything. You can't trust Jezza further than you can throw him.
    You would then however be trusting him to stick to the agreed speech.
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

If he doesn't, then you can release the speech you were given and show how he's an untrustworthy little sh*t.
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

You publish the agreed text and show how he deviated. Would be pretty damning
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Absolutely, the Jewish media once again smearing the blessed Jeremy. So typical.

The problem is that Corbyn's followers have faith, and as we all know, faith is not susceptible to reason.

Because I'm feeling kind, I'll allow one of the lumbering Remainers to highlight how Brexiteers...oh go on, you fill in the blanks.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited August 2018

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Macron went to ENA but Barnier did not, he went to ESCP Europe, a European business school.

The last non ENA French President was Sarkozy (the only other non ENA post war President was Dr Gaulle), if Boris succeeds May we will have had 2/3 of our PMs old Etonians and all of them old Oxonians since the state educated, non Oxbridge Brown

Off-topic: before this year the only experience I'd had with hayfever like symptoms was whilst walking through a field of oil-seed rape many years ago; my trousers were yellow from the pollen, and I got a streaming nose, sore throat and running eyes - symptoms which disappeared within a short while after leaving the field. I've always thought of this as mechanical overload rather than hayfever.

A similar thing happened a month or so ago whilst walking through long grass atop a floodbank, and today I have a slight sore throat and runny nose. But the strange thing is that Mrs J, who has never had any hayfever-like symptoms, is really suffering today, especially whilst outside. We have done nothing unusual outside our daily routine.

That's enough whinging. So, two questions: is hayfever expected to be really bad this time of year, and do you get more susceptible to it as you get older?

And a final third question - any suggestions to how I can make my darling love more comfortable, as she's really suffering? I'm getting her lots of water, and bought some Pirititeze.

TIA.

Beconase is often a little more effective.

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Really?

We know he's a liar.

We know he's a fool.

We know he makes promises he can't keep and has no intention of keeping.

We know he's made common cause with murderers, crooks and Nazis.

And this has had what influence on his standing with his supporters?

That's right, none at all.

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

I would be amazed in any case if Milne et al ceded such control to anyone else. Especially the Jews
    edited August 2018
    TOPPING said:

If I was the Jewish museum I’d want him to have expelled from his party all those making antisemitic comments and called off his actions against Margaret Hodge and Ian Austin.

You know, driving out the institutional racism that’s become ingrained in the organisation he leads.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    ydoethur said:

Because nobody wants to think about Corbyn organising an orgy in a brothel if his taste in women encompasses Diane Abbott.
    30 or 40 years ago, you will look different , in a similar timescale .

Nevertheless that comment says a lot about you.
    Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

30 or 40 years ago, you will look different , in a similar timescale .

Nevertheless that comment says a lot about you.
    What makes you think I was referring to her looks?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741

TIA.

I've snipped the whinge, JJ, but only to hopefully offer something practical in response.

I'm a classic hay fever sufferer, like 95% of other sufferers, allergic to grass pollen. My season lasts from the end of May to the beginning of July and this year was one of the worst I've known. That said, my symptoms disappeared three weeks ago so I suspect you're not suffering from a grass pollen allergy

The more likely option is a weed pollen allergy which starts in July and continues to September. Nettle or Dock weed would be the prime suspects and your previous experience with oilseed rape suggests a weed pollen allergy. .

The different allergy treatments use different substances and some can have quite significant side effects. I take Clarityn which uses Loratadine while I can't cope with anything containing cetirizine which makes me drowsy and gives me bad cramps.

Aside that, Vaseline up the nose, keep soaking the eyes and DO NOT scratch them if they itch. Plenty of fluids because you are secreting them and keep in as clean-ventilated a place as possible. Pollen usually falls during the evening and settles at night but can affect sleep so just try to keep airways clear.

The weed pollen season is at its height now and in a week to a fortnight the worst will be over.
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

If I was the Jewish museum I’d want him to have expelled from his party all those making antisemitic comments and called off his actions against Margaret Hodge and Ian Austin.

You know, driving out the institutional racism that’s become ingrained in the organisation he leads.
    Yeah well there is that as well I suppose.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Mortimer said:

Both are vital parts of the community, the former particularly in non-metropolitan areas.

Everyone wants them and few use them.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    Apologies to bring up the B word, but this is not a surprise:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45043066

The Electoral Commission has rejected claims that the official Remain campaign breached spending rules in the EU referendum.

The watchdog said it found "nothing beyond conjecture" to support claims of undeclared joint spending between Britain Stronger in Europe and others.

But it is investigating possible joint spending between two other Remain campaign groups.

Guido is not a happy bunny.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited August 2018
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Macron went to ENA but Barnier did not, he went to ESCP Europe, a European business school.

The last non ENA French President was Sarkozy (the only other non ENA post war President was Dr Gaulle), if Boris succeeds May we will have had 2/3 of our PMs old Etonians and all of them old Oxonians since the state educated, non Oxbridge Brown
    Correction since the fifth republic.

Pompidou went to ENS and Mitterand to Sciences Po which while also highly selective grandes ecoles are separate institutions from ENA
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

I seem to remember John Major was quite keen on the game. Ken Clarke too.

In fact, I'd argue your comment is bloody stupid.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Mortimer said:

Everyone wants them and few use them.
    Few use pubs?
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Nice to see Sean writing on here again but surely it should have been on a Friday as in the good old days?

Whilst I don't tend to agree much politically with Sean I think one of our problems in Britain is the inability of politicians to put their finger on what the core problem is. Maybe it's not really government debt, demographics, the banks, education or even housing. Perhaps it's LAND?
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Ouch!
    And there we have it.

I think only one England opener has scored more than 180 in first class cricket this season - Rory Burns.

Although Cook is struggling in Tests, I can sort of see the logic in picking him when (a) there isn't a settled opener at the other end and (b) none of the other openers are any good either.
    Can he catch ?
    tlg86 said:

Guido is not a happy bunny.

Guido is never a happy bunny. His whole publishing ethos is based on him being the chippy outsider who thinks everything is wrong and everyone else is scum. The day that ceases he'll have to shut up shop.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Ouch!
    And there we have it.

Can he catch ?
    Well, his fielding coach is Chris Taylor, who was for many years the only rival to Jonty Rhodes as the world's best fielder. (One season they played for Gloucestershire - in the few matches Taylor actually played we had an outfield cordon that was practically impenetrable). So possibly.
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

I wouldn't expect a cricket fan to be able to apply logic to the issue.

Major's long shadows on county grounds speech could have been written expressly for Little Englander Leavers.
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

A statement as ridiculous as a declaration of fondness for pineapple pizza.
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Or of admiration for The Last Jedi.
    edited August 2018
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Splutter
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

I think he has a point but is it such a bad thing? I reckon that cricket fans are more likely to feel affection for the commonwealth (note not Empire) and the game crosses an impressive range of racial and cultural boundaries. During my childhood awe of the West Indies it never occurred to me that they were a different race than I.
    edited August 2018
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Ouch!
    And there we have it.

Can he catch ?
    Well, his fielding coach is Chris Taylor, who was for many years the only rival to Jonty Rhodes as the world's best fielder. (One season they played for Gloucestershire - in the few matches Taylor actually played we had an outfield cordon that was practically impenetrable). So possibly.
    No brainier, then.

Which means, for our selectors, not an automatic decision.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2018

A cynic might suggest that it is rather useful to Jezza to be seen to be turned down by the Jewish Museum...as the BBC report there is facing opposition from Jewish organisations over plans to deliver a speech at a Jewish venue...gives the cult ammunition to spin it as the lovely great leader reaching out as his kind and caring nature and been shot down.
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

I think he has a point but is it such a bad thing? I reckon that cricket fans are more likely to feel affection for the commonwealth (note not Empire) and the game crosses an impressive range of racial and cultural boundaries. During my childhood awe of the West Indies it never occurred to me that they were a different race than I.
    I think it is terrific that Afghanistan are fielding a national cricket team. I hope the coffee house are packed out and they get a feeling that their country has a future in the world because of it.
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Splutter
    You just tried some ?
    :smile:
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Ouch!
    And there we have it.

Can he catch ?
    No brainier, then.

Which means, for our selectors, not an automatic decision.
    He has 875 runs at 75 in the championship, with three centuries, two above 150. He seems likely to be the first past a thousand runs (he's 200 ahead of anyone else).

However, he did badly as Lions captain when Cook scored that 180 and that may have damaged his chances.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Ok, this is harsh. He deserves to be allowed to forget surely?:

https://twitter.com/_youhadonejob1/status/1025096418493689856
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

A cynic might suggest that it is rather useful to Jezza to be seen to be turned down by the Jewish Museum...as the BBC report there is facing opposition from Jewish organisations over plans to deliver a speech at a Jewish venue...gives the cult ammunition to spin it as the lovely great leader reaching out as his kind and caring nature and been shot down.
    Honestly, it is all way to way to late. And I for one wouldn't believe a bloody word he reads out from the Seamus script. But as many PBers have pointed out, the vast vast majority of voters have any idea about any of this.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    Anti-competitive practices such as these are exactly what the Competition and Markets Authority was set up to deal with. In fact, its predecessor, the MMC, broke up many of the larger tied pub chains in the 1980s. There should be no need for primary legislation or anything similar.

What is necessary, however, is simplification of the market inquiry process at the CMA. It takes two years, which is far too long. In addition, terms of reference are often unduly restrictive, and appeals too long and legalistic. Correcting that problem would be the first step towards solving this, and many other anti-competitive practices in this country.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,545

Nice to see Sean writing on here again but surely it should have been on a Friday as in the good old days?

Whilst I don't tend to agree much politically with Sean I think one of our problems in Britain is the inability of politicians to put their finger on what the core problem is. Maybe it's not really government debt, demographics, the banks, education or even housing. Perhaps it's LAND?

There is an interesting and readable book called Rethinking the Economics of Land and Housing by three economists from something called the New Economics Foundation which makes a powerful argument that land is indeed the major issue. Big residential developments in the 1950s and 1960s, such as the new towns, were built on land acquired through compulsory purchase at its agricultural value. This made development much cheaper - just imagine the cries of horror if the government tried that today!
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45043647

Honestly, it is all way to way to late. And I for one wouldn't believe a bloody word he reads out from the Seamus script. But as many PBers have pointed out, the vast vast majority of voters have any idea about any of this.
    While quite....as they say a leopard doesn't change his spots and in the case of Jezza, he hasn't changed his mind on anything in the past 40+ years. But as you say, outside of the Jewish community and places like PB, most voters will be oblivious to this.
  • ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Or of admiration for The Last Jedi.
    Or Die Hard not being a Christmas film

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

I think it is terrific that Afghanistan are fielding a national cricket team. I hope the coffee house are packed out and they get a feeling that their country has a future in the world because of it.
    :+1::+1::+1:

They’re playing in my part of the world next month, will try and catch a game or two.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Asia_Cup

I was wondering who might be in that situation. Of course, it would probably have been a shrewd sale at the time. Just imagine anyone who sold Apple stock at a loss in 1995 and how they feel today.

He still isn't as good in the lack of foresight stakes as the physics teacher in Munich who told his ten year old pupil that he didn't have a scientific mind.

This ten year old pupil.
    ydoethur said:

I was wondering who might be in that situation. Of course, it would probably have been a shrewd sale at the time. Just imagine anyone who sold Apple stock at a loss in 1995 and how they feel today.

He still isn't as good in the lack of foresight stakes as the physics teacher in Munich who told his ten year old pupil that he didn't have a scientific mind.

This ten year old pupil.
    Apple’s market cap just went through $1trn, so that 10% is now worth almost double what it was worth when that photo was taken.

On that note, time to retire for the evening.

http s://twitter.com/_youhadonejob1/status/1025096418493689856

He's always said he doesn't regret it, and that he made the right decision.

https://www.cultofmac.com/304686/ron-wayne-apple-co-founder/

There is also a strand of thought that, if he had stayed on, Apple would not have had its early successes. Not because he is a bad bloke, but because he was slightly less risk-averse than Woz or Jobs, who were younger and less knowledgeable, and would have put brakes on the company's early growth and changed its direction.

I can't help but think it's a shame the two of them haven't done a little more for him, though. ob's I can understand, as he was a sh*t, but Woz is a decent guy.
  • Just WTF....

What is the '#QAnon' conspiracy theory?

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-45040614

I wonder what the Jezza's cult version of this will be?
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

This ten year old pupil.
    Apple’s market cap just went through $1trn, so that 10% is now worth almost double what it was worth when that photo was taken.

On that note, time to retire for the evening.
    I think that's taking into account share dilutions, writedowns and restructuring. Bear in mind there was a lot of stock turbulence in the mid-90s when Apple was within a fraction of going bust.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Sean has a Friday piece as well this week.

I've been completely knocked off my focus by the suicide of a close friend of mind who has made a big contribution to PB over the years. So we've stepped up our guest slots at the moment
    ydoethur said:

This ten year old pupil.
    In 2000, I was sitting on a £200,000 profit (pre-tax) on share options with the company I was working for. Six or so months later, the bubble had burst, and the company had made some (ahem) unwise decisions wrt trade credit insurance risk, and I was sitting on f'all.

It didn't really bother me, as it was only paper money and I worked on.

What does bother me is that the same directors who made the decision on the insurance risk, had options on different terms, and which vested earlier, allowing them to get out before the bubble and the company got a fine of nearly half a million pounds that depressed the share price further.

Gits. But rich gits. :(

One thing I'd like to see brought in is a rule whereby options and such benefits have to have the same conditions for all employees, from top to bottom; only the amount granted may differ. It might stop some of the short-termism we see ...
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    ydoethur said:

This ten year old pupil.
    Basically anybody who invests in the stock market in buying direct stocks. Apple is exceptional but for example in 2001 I decided to invest 10K each into 10 shares that I felt would lead the future in technology from the UK. Of the 10 one was ARM, another was ASOS the ASOS shares I paid about 80p for they hit 70 quid at peak. Did i bank 875K, er no. Did I bank a very good profit, yes. So if you play the investment game then there is no point crying over spilt milk.
    Oh I also had 80K worth of Apple Shares that I bought in the 2008 crash. Do not really think about those.
    stodge said:

TIA.

I've snipped the whinge, JJ, but only to hopefully offer something practical in response.

I'm a classic hay fever sufferer, like 95% of other sufferers, allergic to grass pollen. My season lasts from the end of May to the beginning of July and this year was one of the worst I've known. That said, my symptoms disappeared three weeks ago so I suspect you're not suffering from a grass pollen allergy

The more likely option is a weed pollen allergy which starts in July and continues to September. Nettle or Dock weed would be the prime suspects and your previous experience with oilseed rape suggests a weed pollen allergy. .

The different allergy treatments use different substances and some can have quite significant side effects. I take Clarityn which uses Loratadine while I can't cope with anything containing cetirizine which makes me drowsy and gives me bad cramps.

Aside that, Vaseline up the nose, keep soaking the eyes and DO NOT scratch them if they itch. Plenty of fluids because you are secreting them and keep in as clean-ventilated a place as possible. Pollen usually falls during the evening and settles at night but can affect sleep so just try to keep airways clear.

The weed pollen season is at its height now and in a week to a fortnight the worst will be over.
    Thanks to both you and NigelB

ydoethur said:

This ten year old pupil.
    In 2000, I was sitting on a £200,000 profit (pre-tax) on share options with the company I was working for. Six or so months later, the bubble had burst, and the company had made some (ahem) unwise decisions wrt trade credit insurance risk, and I was sitting on f'all.

It didn't really bother me, as it was only paper money and I worked on.

What does bother me is that the same directors who made the decision on the insurance risk, had options on different terms, and which vested earlier, allowing them to get out before the bubble and the company got a fine of nearly half a million pounds that depressed the share price further.

Gits. But rich gits. :(

One thing I'd like to see brought in is a rule whereby options and such benefits have to have the same conditions for all employees, from top to bottom; only the amount granted may differ. It might stop some of the short-termism we see ...
    Convo with a friend in 2011...

7/06/2011 20:07
    Hey mate, How do i mine these bitcoin thingies ?
    Get a miner (eg. Phoenix Mod).
    Get the bitcoin client.
    Sync it.
    Generate a wallet ID.
    (Um, I mean bitcoin address not wallet ID.)
    Point miner at pool account.
    Profit.
    Got a link to phoenix mod ?
    It's on bitcoin forum somewhere.
    I mine through bitcoinpool.com -- there's a link in their faq.
    I've got phoenix 1.4
    Recommend 1.48.
    Is bitcoinpool the pool you mine for ?

I didn't bother to mine and he sold out his coins at like $8 each :D

ydoethur said:

This ten year old pupil.
    Basically anybody who invests in the stock market in buying direct stocks. Apple is exceptional but for example in 2001 I decided to invest 10K each into 10 shares that I felt would lead the future in technology from the UK. Of the 10 one was ARM, another was ASOS the ASOS shares I paid about 80p for they hit 70 quid at peak. Did i bank 875K, er no. Did I bank a very good profit, yes. So if you play the investment game then there is no point crying over spilt milk.
    Oh I also had 80K worth of Apple Shares that I bought in the 2008 crash. Do not really think about those.
    My parents, who up to about ten years ago made a good amount of money in stocks and shares, say that they concentrated on the money they'e made, not on the money they could have made, and that it's the only way to keep sane.

As an aside, they only stopped doing it because they started taking more foreign holidays, and couldn't / didn't want to keep up with the news.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Just WTF....

What is the '#QAnon' conspiracy theory?

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-45040614

I wonder what the Jezza's cult version of this will be?

Remember pizzagate? The conspiracy theory that Clinton/Podesta was running a pedophile ring out of the basement of a pizzaria that doesn't actually have a basement?

This is the refined even more bat shit version.
  • surbysurby Posts: 1,227

So the Jewish Museum is basically censuring free speech.
    No laughing at the back..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45047574
This discussion has been closed.