Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s YouGov has the worst LAB voting figures and the wors

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s YouGov has the worst LAB voting figures and the worst Corbyn best PM rating since GE17

Times YouGov pollCON 39%+1LAB 35%-3LD 10%=

Read the full story here

Comments

• First like the Chequers deal
  • Clearly this poll is a vindication of Mrs May and other Tories condemning Boris
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited August 2018
    A 1% swing to the Tories as in this poll would see May pick up 16 Labour seats, taking her to 334 seats and giving her an overall majority of 12.

That is despite a 3% lower Tory voteshare than 2017 and UKIP up to 7%
  • Clearly this poll is a vindication of Mrs May and other Tories condemning Boris

The hard Brexiteers need calling out and Boris has only himself to blame for the mess he is in.

Some reports Brussels is softening tonight and it is not entirely impossible to see TM getting her deal

For the Country's sake lets hope she does
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Ok, it's one poll, and how much can they be relied on etc, but I wouldn't have predicted this nonetheless. Same as earlier this year with lots of Tory leads even as they performed less than well in government.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

Clearly this poll is a vindication of Mrs May and other Tories condemning Boris

It shows to me how people do not like divided parties. The summer recess has given the Tories a Brexit break, but the Corbyn anti-semitism row has not required parliament.

Both Tory and Labour conferences could see major insurrections against their leaders. The post election stalemate could easily become more volatile.

Or on the other hand it could all be MOE!
  • Scott_P said:
    On these figures TM calling out Boris will result in a collective sigh of relief as she stands up to him at last
  • kle4 said:

Ok, it's one poll, and how much can they be relied on etc, but I wouldn't have predicted this nonetheless. Same as earlier this year with lots of Tory leads even as they performed less than well in government.

And summer holidays when the tories are away
  • SeanT said:

First like the Chequers deal

The Chequers deal is absolute shite. Just join the EEA or EFTA and have done with it.
    EEA/EFTA do not satisfy the desire of the voters on immigration.

The will of the people must be respected.
    edited August 2018
    SeanT said:

The Chequers deal is absolute shite. Just join the EEA or EFTA and have done with it.
    The Chequers Deal at least offers the 'mobility framework' which requires a job offer on arrival rather than after 3 months like FOM and is similar to the transition controls we could have had in 2004.

In most other respects May's deal will look like EEA/EFTA and close to the Customs Union in the end

Scott_P said:
    On these figures TM calling out Boris will result in a collective sigh of relief as she stands up to him at last
    I think we can all be wary of such a direct correlation. I'd still put money on him as next leader if he can get enough MPs.

People don't like compromises, and even if Brussels soften people won't like Chequers. The question is more do Boris and co move in September - chance to change things but puts them on the spot - or wait til after some deal and bitch about it.
  • SeanT said:

The hard Brexiteers need calling out and Boris has only himself to blame for the mess he is in.

Some reports Brussels is softening tonight and it is not entirely impossible to see TM getting her deal

Boris is not in a mess. The Remainery Tories are in a mess for bigging up his remarks, and enacting a huge split, because they are terrified he will move in for the kill, and take over.

They should have quietly condemned him, and left it at that.
    I think you will find there have been hundreds of complaints against him and the party has no choice but to review the complaints otherwise they risk being compared to Corbyn ignoring his problems
  • Awb683Awb683 Posts: 80
    Always good to see the polls moving against Labour.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    edited August 2018
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

So let Theresa sell that kettle of EEA crap to the voters then sack her, and get in a more Leaverish less cringey leader (Bojo, Javid, etc) to take the Tories into the next elex. Blame all the problems on stupid Theresa and Brussels.

Beat Corbyn soundly. Propose renegotiation with Brussels. Job done.

Our future vis a vis Brussels is endless renegotiation anyway. We will be like a big Switzerland. Switzerland argues with Brussels ALL THE TIME. We will inevitably do the same, only with more sway.
    The difference is that bits of Switzerland don’t drop off as they’re negotiating.
  • Scott_P said:
    I don't know when the fieldwork was done, but I suspect the gap opening is down to Corbyn becoming unacceptable for more voters than May becoming slightly less crap. It doesn't alter the fundamentals: Brexit is colouring everything of substance, and will come into sharper relief after the summer. I believe that May's ratings will fall if more concessions are made to the EU and then we are in uncharted territory.
  • Scott_P said:
    I don't know when the fieldwork was done, but I suspect the gap opening is down to Corbyn becoming unacceptable for more voters than May becoming slightly less crap. It doesn't alter the fundamentals: Brexit is colouring everything of substance, and will come into sharper relief after the summer. I believe that May's ratings will fall if more concessions are made to the EU and then we are in uncharted territory.
    YouGov’s fieldwork was yesterday and today.
  • Scott_P said:
    Talk tonight that Brussels are willing to compromise and hopefully a deal will be forthcoming
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I know it's the silly season, but how on earth can it be that those who inherited the tradition of the great C P Scott think it's sensible to run a massive splash telling us that Arron Banks - wait for it.. - didn't invest in a dodgy scam?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/aug/09/revealed-detail-of-exclusive-russian-deal-offered-to-arron-banks-in-brexit-run-up
  • kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

SeanT said:

Boris is not in a mess. The Remainery Tories are in a mess for bigging up his remarks, and enacting a huge split, because they are terrified he will move in for the kill, and take over.

I think you will find there have been hundreds of complaints against him and the party has no choice but to review the complaints otherwise they risk being compared to Corbyn ignoring his problems
    Rubbish, its a politically motivated witch hunt , calculated to try and destroy his leadership chances, but it has backfired spectacularly as the public is on his side. He has played a blinder here and if he holds in nerve he could be the next PM
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Remainers abandoning Labour plus the end of wage caps in the public sector.

Incredible considering the whirlwind we’re flying into.

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

So let Theresa sell that kettle of EEA crap to the voters then sack her, and get in a more Leaverish less cringey leader (Bojo, Javid, etc) to take the Tories into the next elex. Blame all the problems on stupid Theresa and Brussels.

Beat Corbyn soundly. Propose renegotiation with Brussels. Job done.

Our future vis a vis Brussels is endless renegotiation anyway. We will be like a big Switzerland. Switzerland argues with Brussels ALL THE TIME. We will inevitably do the same, only with more sway.
    The difference is that bits of Switzerland don’t drop off as they’re negotiating.
    Switzerland is made up of Cantons each with significant power and in both Scotland and NI Unionist parties won the largest number of votes in the NI Assembly election and the general election after the Brexit vote
  • SeanT said:

SeanT said:

His remarks were crass and designed to provoke, I think. But they were hardly hanging offences. If the Tories suspend the whip from Bojo it will look terrible and they will have an ENORMOUS revolt on their hands and they could lose 5 points to UKIP. That's an election losing swing.

Utterly insane. Fact is, he's a big beast and he is voicing the feelings of most Brits who hate conservative Islamic misogyny and the niqab. He has chosen his battlefield well.

Best thing they can do is get this inquiry done with, over the rest of August, rap him on the knuckles, cope with the minor fall out. But I suspect there are Remainer elements that want to lynch him on this pretext, and this will outright destroy the party (and possibly chances of a decent Brexit deal)
    I do not think anyone in the party will take the whip from him, rap on the knuckles at most but he has strengthened many of the mps, ex the ERG, against his ambition
    Scott_P said:
    You could see their faces through those veils
  • This has absolutely nothing to do with Boris and 'Burkagate' and everything to do with the fact that voters are at last seeing Corbyn for what he truly is. Comments here claimnig otherwise are talking balls.

Love or hate Boris, a majority of voters seem to agree with his point that the Burka is awful but that it shouldn't be banned.
  • Scott_P said:
    Thanks for that. It may be that Brexit has gone a bit quiet for the last week or so since Parliament went on holiday, people have noticed what has filled the political gap: Anti-Semitism and Burkas. Does that mean a positive move away from Corbyn and a positive move to Boris? I mean it's not as if May has done anything in the news recently, so it can't be her.
  • HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    We agree on that one. Simply daft comparision

Total rot.

And i voted remain and am deeply sceptical of Boris.
    Scott_P said:
    as you can see their faces then - no - a veil is not the same as a slit for the eyes
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    edited August 2018
    SeanT said:

His remarks were crass and designed to provoke, I think. But they were hardly hanging offences.

Most of the people I've heard on the radio talking about what Boris wrote have talked more about Brexit and party leadership than the supposedly offensive* remarks. It's blindingly obvious that the have seen a chance to have a pop at Boris and are taking it. Of course it would help Boris if he didn't provide cause to criticise him quite so frequently.

* In the grand scheme of things these are at the low end of the offensive scale.

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

His remarks were crass and designed to provoke, I think. But they were hardly hanging offences. If the Tories suspend the whip from Bojo it will look terrible and they will have an ENORMOUS revolt on their hands and they could lose 5 points to UKIP. That's an election losing swing.

Utterly insane. Fact is, he's a big beast and he is voicing the feelings of most Brits who hate conservative Islamic misogyny and the niqab. He has chosen his battlefield well.

Best thing they can do is get this inquiry done with, over the rest of August, rap him on the knuckles, cope with the minor fall out. But I suspect there are Remainer elements that want to lynch him on this pretext, and this will outright destroy the party (and possibly chances of a decent Brexit deal)
    I do not think anyone in the party will take the whip from him, rap on the knuckles at most but he has strengthened many of the mps, ex the ERG, against his ambition
    wishful thinking
  • SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Completely agree. Brandon Lewis has acted in an insane manner. He needs to be removed forthwith.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    SeanT said:

:+1:
  • This has absolutely nothing to do with Boris and 'Burkagate' and everything to do with the fact that voters are at last seeing Corbyn for what he truly is. Comments here claimnig otherwise are talking balls.

Love or hate Boris, a majority of voters seem to agree with his point that the Burka is awful but that it shouldn't be banned.

Actually the Sky data poll shown 59% want it banned which is ironic as Boris's was arguing for it not to be banned but the message is lost in his language
  • asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Jezza is crap.
  • Scott_P said:
    Thanks for that. It may be that Brexit has gone a bit quiet for the last week or so since Parliament went on holiday, people have noticed what has filled the political gap: Anti-Semitism and Burkas. Does that mean a positive move away from Corbyn and a positive move to Boris? I mean it's not as if May has done anything in the news recently, so it can't be her.
    And yet she has seen a big personal rise in this poll as well as Corbyns fall
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Plus, it's a funeral in the fecking 1950s. What is with this harking back to days of Empire?
  • kjohnw said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

wishful thinking
    Why
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    Looks a very odd, mid-Summer silly season poll.

Total rot.

Why
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    SeanT said:

I really really really really hope that the Remainery left choose, as their "Verdun", the battle to end all battles, the right of Islamic women to be oppressively and coercively death-shrouded in hideous burqas and niqabs, because they are "just like wearing a crucifix".

Why is it that you post about Muslims about 60% of the time?

Every single twitter from @hendopolis front page op, is grey and telling me 'may contain sensitive material'

:lol:

kjohnw said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

wishful thinking
    Why
    Because if TM tries to hang on to the next GE most MP's will be thinking about their seats, and BJ is the really the only one who can command a broad consensus in the country and has the charisma and positive vision for Britain after Brexit. BJ vs Corbyn = tory landslide
  • kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

wishful thinking
    Why
    Because if TM tries to hang on to the next GE most MP's will be thinking about their seats, and BJ is the really the only one who can command a broad consensus in the country and has the charisma and positive vision for Britain after Brexit. BJ vs Corbyn = tory landslide
    Where did I say TM leading into the next election. Boris has proved time after time he is unsuitable to be Prime Minister and has far more mps against him in his own party
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

SeanT said:

I really really really really hope that the Remainery left choose, as their "Verdun", the battle to end all battles, the right of Islamic women to be oppressively and coercively death-shrouded in hideous burqas and niqabs, because they are "just like wearing a crucifix".

It’s conservative Islam he’s worried about, but more to the point, is it not worth discussing the biggest ideological challenge facing the West since the end of communism?

It’s certainly more interesting than cricket or F1.

Total rot.

Why
    He needs to grow up and stop playing the fool.
  • GIN1138 said:

Looks a very odd, mid-Summer silly season poll.

Looks about right to me. Corbyn's true colours being exposed at last and it isnt pretty.

Total rot.

Why
    He needs to grow up and stop playing the fool.
    I agree with you but why total rot to my post
    Scott_P said:
    That's a pretty lame joke actually. Whether one supports what he said and how he said it or not that's not a comparable scenario for comedic purposes. It's easy to make fun of Boris, and that one misses that mark.
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

wishful thinking
    Why
    Predictions about a post-Brexit GE between BJ and Corbyn seem completely unreal. The political landscape will change utterly in the next 8 months.

Actually the Sky data poll shown 59% want it banned which is ironic as Boris's was arguing for it not to be banned but the message is lost in his language

Fair point. But only one poll. And i seem to remember others which were narrowly against a ban.

The point remains....
    Sorry to drag everyone away from popcorn, burqas, Shabbat, Boris sleeping with Bannon in a Italian hotel where mad fascists were singing in streets etc etc.

But,

McD's Universal Income proposal in the next 'Labour' manifesto would be a monumental self-destruct bomb in the hands of an opposition leader like Gordon Brown.

Discuss.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

wishful thinking
    Why
    This would be the Johnson who turned a 10,700 majority in 2015 into one of 5,034 two years later. That amazingly popular Johnson?
  • kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

wishful thinking
    Why
    Predictions about a post-Brexit GE between BJ and Corbyn seem completely unreal. The political landscape will change utterly in the next 8 months.
    We agree on that William
  • Scott_P said:
    Ad you can see their faces, probably not.

Is this the best you can do? Crass.
    glw said:

SeanT said:

His remarks were crass and designed to provoke, I think. But they were hardly hanging offences.

Most of the people I've heard on the radio talking about what Boris wrote have talked more about Brexit and party leadership than the supposedly offensive* remarks. It's blindingly obvious that the have seen a chance to have a pop at Boris and are taking it. Of course it would help Boris if he didn't provide cause to criticise him quite so frequently.

* In the grand scheme of things these are at the low end of the offensive scale.
    Boris has said more offensive things. It is being used as a stick to beat him. I do, however, hope the tories see that whatever his merits this sort of thing will be constant with him, and it's not as though he even could be relied upon to be suitably hard brexity or right wing.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,558
    SeanT said:

In the same manner Johnson is making his stand on the rectitude of being offensive about those who choose to wear the garment ?

The debate is nuanced. neither you nor he appear to acknowledge that.

Fair point. But only one poll. And i seem to remember others which were narrowly against a ban.

The point remains....
    In the same poll only 26% opposed banning the Burka
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    What a fucking disptick he is. Otto "English". God I despise the left. Kill them all.
    Didn't you say that your wife and all your friends are lefties? Have you shared this sentiment with them?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Foxy said:

It shows to me how people do not like divided parties. The summer recess has given the Tories a Brexit break, but the Corbyn anti-semitism row has not required parliament.

Both Tory and Labour conferences could see major insurrections against their leaders. The post election stalemate could easily become more volatile.

Or on the other hand it could all be MOE!
    Though Tories by instinct probably loathe Muslims in costume as much as Boris there is plenty of evidence that today's voters prefer their leaders less swivel eyed than themselves.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,744

SeanT said:

Even he realises going on about white pride 100% of the time would be mental.
    These people are literally mad:

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1027664922270945281

At least their utter purity will be maintained when they lose in 2020/21 and they can say the last Socialist government was still 1945.
    kle4 said:

Boris has said more offensive things. It is being used as a stick to beat him. I do, however, hope the tories see that whatever his merits this sort of thing will be constant with him, and it's not as though he even could be relied upon to be suitably hard brexity or right wing.

I think Boris is a smart and funny guy, but he's also lazy and gaffe-prone. Mayor of London worked for him as the Boroughs still do must of the local goverment work, so he was London's cheerleader, and quite good at that.

Boris be a terrible PM having to do things like diplomacy, deciding spending priorities, dealing with crises, having the buck stop at his desk, being expected to know what all the branches of govnerment are up to. Those all involve too much effort, and don't have many opportunites for cracking a good joke.
  • SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

In the same manner Johnson is making his stand on the rectitude of being offensive about those who choose to wear the garment ?

Actually he does acknowledge that. He finished the piece by saying a ban would be illiberal and unBritish.

But enough.

OGH, for all his baldness, maybe has a point that I am possibly banging on about Islam too much for one evening (tho it makes a change from Brexit).

Tomorrow, more school holiday parenting! Sigh.

So, NIGHT NIGHT.
    And from me also

May everyone have a restful night

Good night
  • glw said:

kle4 said:

I think Boris is a smart and funny guy, but he's also lazy and gaffe-prone. Mayor of London worked for him as the Boroughs still do must of the local goverment work, so he was London's cheerleader, and quite good at that.

Boris be a terrible PM having to do things like diplomacy, deciding spending priorities, dealing with crises, having the buck stop at his desk, being expected to know what all the branches of govnerment are up to. Those all involve too much effort, and don't have many opportunites for cracking a good joke.
    +1
  • Sorry to drag everyone away from popcorn, burqas, Shabbat, Boris sleeping with Bannon in a Italian hotel where mad fascists were singing in streets etc etc.

But,

McD's Universal Income proposal in the next 'Labour' manifesto would be a monumental self-destruct bomb in the hands of an opposition leader like Gordon Brown.

Discuss.

It's a timebomb while taxpayers are a majority. However, we are near the tipping point where taxpayers become a minority - more voters may say "yes please" than "how the heck will we pay for this?"

At least their utter purity will be maintained when they lose in 2020/21 and they can say the last Socialist government was still 1945.

They seem to be busy today boycotting the BBC.

glw said:

kle4 said:

+1
    Seconded
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    glw said:

Now if only they would quit twitter in favour of a dedicated socialist bubble site, we could ignore them forever!
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It must be a long time since the combined share for Con and Lab was as low as 74%.

Sorry to drag everyone away from popcorn, burqas, Shabbat, Boris sleeping with Bannon in a Italian hotel where mad fascists were singing in streets etc etc.

But,

Discuss.

It's a timebomb while taxpayers are a majority. However, we are near the tipping point where taxpayers become a minority - more voters may say "yes please" than "how the heck will we pay for this?"
    Honestly, I'm not totally against the idea, but it would need to be a generation-long adjustment, based on an overwhelming, settled will of the people before full implementation.

McD needs to tell us why the proposed UK pilot will be better than the Finnish and Canadian attempts?
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

is it not worth discussing the biggest ideological challenge facing the West since the end of communism?

FPT

1. People can be offended, if they want. It does not follow that they therefore are entitled to ask for whatever offends them to be banned.

2. The right to free speech & free thought are far more important than the right to dress in a particular way.

3. The reasons for banning the burqa (a very fine judgment) are not to do with the offence it may cause nor its aesthetic qualities but that it is the uniform of an ideology which is very hostile to integration within a secular society, that that unwillingness to integrate is harmful to women in that community & harmful to the level of social cohesion & shared values necessary to make society work well. & this is particularly the case where the community in question is currently very prone to an extremism hostile to the values, norms & laws of this country &, partly as a result, some of its members are vulnerable to terrorism. A society is entitled to say not just “When in Rome, do as the Romans” but also “When in Rome this is what you cannot do”.

But the burqa is only one of the issues to be tackled. What is taught in Islamic schools, in mosques, forced marriage & FGM are more important. But all these issues matter & need to be tackled.

There are serious problems within Muslim communities: a credal culture does not sit well within a democracy. How can you seriously believe in man made laws if you think that laws should come from your version of God? How can a mysogynistic culture fit happily within a culture which believes in equal rights for men & women? How can a religion which thinks that death is the appropriate punishment for apostasy fit comfortably with a culture based on the freedom to think & say what you want.

We should perhaps have asked these questions before continuing to permit large-scale Muslim immigration into the West. We should certainly have done so when we were warned of these issues with the Ray Honeyford affair & then the Rushdie fatwa. We put our heads in the sand. Now we focus on burqas or minarets. But it is to look at the symptoms rather than the bigger question. We need to have a serious debate about & effort at proper integration of minorities not toleration of or a cringe before cultural practices we consider criminal &/or abhorrent nor infantile abuse aimed at individuals.

To @Topping: if a society considers certain practices so damaging to social cohesion it can & should ban them. Ditto with practices considered harmful to particular groups eg forced marriages which come from a belief system (ideology, if you will) about the role of women.

A very fine judgment & I would have preferred it if we had not let ourselves get into this position.

Night all.
    Better news for Labour with ICM:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    10m10 minutes ago

UK, ICM Poll:

LAB-S&D: 40% (-1)
    CON-ECR: 39% (-1)
    LDEM-ALDE: 7% (-1)
    UKIP-EFDD: 6% (+1)
    Greens-G/EFA: 3%

Field work: 03/08/18 – 05/08/18
    Sample size: 2,049"
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    What a fucking disptick he is. Otto "English". God I despise the left. Kill them all.
    Didn't you say that your wife and all your friends are lefties? Have you shared this sentiment with them?
    Yup.
    You have told your wife and friends that you want to kill them?

• MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    rcs1000 What do you make of the Elon Musk tweet and the SEC's questions? Sounds like he is in real trouble to me.
    glw said:

A Jezza government will come after the free press and broadcasting as fast as a rat left Petrograd in 1917.
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    10m10 minutes ago

UK, ICM Poll:

None of these midterm polls are worth a hill of beans. Who cares?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    10m10 minutes ago

UK, ICM Poll:

Welcome to PB.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2018
    Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    10m10 minutes ago

UK, ICM Poll:

By the time of the next general election we will have dropped those silly EU parliament groupings next to the party names on these poll reports. All I see each time is Labour = SaD and the Lib Dems as being part of a German supermarket chain with the Greens invariably polling EFA.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited August 2018
    Does no-one remember the glorious days of the eccentric Hari Krishnas jangling their way through London? It's amazing how quickly people turn from free thinkers into Colonel Blimps.

A Jezza government will come after the free press and broadcasting as fast as a rat left Petrograd in 1917.

As I've said many times I find the parallels with Trumpism quite amusing/concerning. A different politics obviously but strikingly similar behaviour.
    MTimT said:

rcs1000 What do you make of the Elon Musk tweet and the SEC's questions? Sounds like he is in real trouble to me.

This comment from a couple of months ago rings true to me. He seems to be self-destructing.

https://twitter.com/Bershidsky/status/1009919631224655874
  • SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

Actually he does acknowledge that. He finished the piece by saying a ban would be illiberal and unBritish.

But enough.

OGH, for all his baldness, maybe has a point that I am possibly banging on about Islam too much for one evening (tho it makes a change from Brexit).

Tomorrow, more school holiday parenting! Sigh.

So, NIGHT NIGHT.
    Personally, I think OGH would look lovely in a burqa!

Mwah!
    edited August 2018
    "John Rentoul
    ‏Verified account @JohnRentoul

Best PM:
    May 36%+4,
    Corbyn 22%-3,
    Don’t know 39%"
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Cyclefree said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

is it not worth discussing the biggest ideological challenge facing the West since the end of communism?

FPT

1. People can be offended, if they want. It does not follow that they therefore are entitled to ask for whatever offends them to be banned.

2. The right to free speech & free thought are far more important than the right to dress in a particular way.

I agree with 1, but 2 sets up a false choice. There's nothing wrong with saying both that people have a right to dress how they like and other people have a right not to like it. Forms of dress are partly an expresion of opinion, and this comes close to saying that we're all in favour of freedom of speech, so long as we agree with it.

I think Boris was being simultaneously rude and frivolous about a difficult issue, but we shouldn't ban him saying what he thinks, just roll our eyes and ignore his tiresome attention-seeking.
  • Jezza is crap.

Sleazy, broken Labour on the slide.
    Anazina said:

AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    10m10 minutes ago

UK, ICM Poll:

This is a site where polls are usually discussed.

Jezza is crap.

Will May return from prostrating herself in front of Macron in order to call a snap election?
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2018

Scott_P said:
    Ad you can see their faces, probably not.

Is this the best you can do? Crass.
    They are also showing a fair bit of leg too. They presumably should have covered themselves up properly and acted more modestly to ensure they did not over excite the males in the congregation into acting inappropriately!

Cyclefree said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

FPT

I agree with 1, but 2 sets up a false choice. There's nothing wrong with saying both that people have a right to dress how they like and other people have a right not to like it. Forms of dress are partly an expresion of opinion, and this comes close to saying that we're all in favour of freedom of speech, so long as we agree with it.

I think Boris was being simultaneously rude and frivolous about a difficult issue, but we shouldn't ban him saying what he thinks, just roll our eyes and ignore his tiresome attention-seeking.
    The issue is whether those women, and it is women, not men, who wear these costumes are expressing a right to dress how they would like.

Jezza is crap.

Will May return from prostrating herself in front of Macron in order to call a snap election?
    https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1025478178163380224?s=19
    Every party on the slide except Tommy Robinson:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1027683460511682560
    Foxy said:

Jezza is crap.

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1025478178163380224?s=19
    :lol:

Although I think he is pointing out Dover, across the Channel, where May will have to build the world's biggest lorry park, by March.

Cyclefree said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

FPT

The issue is whether those women, and it is women, not men, who wear these costumes are expressing a right to dress how they would like.

Many are, some are not. Now I may regard their free decision to don what I consider to be oppressive misogynistic clothing as evidence that they have Stockholm syndrome, but they will undoubtably see it differently.

I more often see young women in Niqab than older, and not infrequently much more conservatively dressed than their parents. I think that at least in part this is second and third generation identity confusion, much like Rastafarianism in the Seventies and Eighties. These are often people who feel incompletely British, but also incompletely in touch with the old culture, and in investigating and seeking their true identity adopt a simalcrum of archaism. How genuine this spirituality is, as opposed to political, varies. It also varies whether it is a passing phase or a dissapearance down the rabbit hole.

My own approach is unlike Boris, I do not insult the wearers but rather support them in their education and careers. That is their best hope of escape.
  • HYUFD said:
    Broken, sleazy LibDems on the slide :)
  • LOL at the different results between YouGov and ICM.
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

LOL at the different results between YouGov and ICM.

Different methodologies plus different timeframes for the fieldwork

Not really that hard to understand
  • These people are literally mad:

Presumably Blairite magic only works on YouGov and not on ICM then? For their sake, they should be happy most of the general public still don’t know how crazy some of them are.
This discussion has been closed.