Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Video Analysis: How Bad Is The US-China Trade Deficit?

Comments

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Another day, another corbyn story. Why so many of them in silly season? I guess political wonks need something to keep us occupied in the summer, so it's like throwing on an old sitcom while hoping the new stuff come September will be decent.

Sky all over this story this morning.

I think the MSM are like a dog with a bone when they see a story that makes waves and they are not going to let this go anytime soon. Boris ill judged remarks must have the conservative leadership pulling their hair out by interrupting the implosion of Corbyn and his cabal this summer
    Sure, but they've been dogs with bones before. Until his core are shaken it's just a meaningless repeat. The prediction someone made that he might row back on the definition business because of this seems reasonable, and that will mean his less bold critics will dial it back again
    Nothing will change his core's loyalty. But the core will not see him elected.

I do believe we are past peak Corbyn and he is really damaging the labour brand now
    The number of people who remember Munich, grasp the details and will be sufficiently butthurt over JC's veneration of the perpetrators to not vote Labour over it is zero.
    Labour down to 35% in the latest Yougov. LDs up to 10%
    Ah, so YouGov is accurate for Westminster polling but not Second Referendum vote?
    Even on Second Referendum vote Yougov has support for it under 50%, hardly mass demand
    Support for a second referendum is higher than support for the Tories.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Scott_P said:
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if he did.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Another day, another corbyn story. Why so many of them in silly season? I guess political wonks need something to keep us occupied in the summer, so it's like throwing on an old sitcom while hoping the new stuff come September will be decent.

I think the MSM are like a dog with a bone when they see a story that makes waves and they are not going to let this go anytime soon. Boris ill judged remarks must have the conservative leadership pulling their hair out by interrupting the implosion of Corbyn and his cabal this summer
    Sure, but they've been dogs with bones before. Until his core are shaken it's just a meaningless repeat. The prediction someone made that he might row back on the definition business because of this seems reasonable, and that will mean his less bold critics will dial it back again

I do believe we are past peak Corbyn and he is really damaging the labour brand now
    The number of people who remember Munich, grasp the details and will be sufficiently butthurt over JC's veneration of the perpetrators to not vote Labour over it is zero.
    Ah, so YouGov is accurate for Westminster polling but not Second Referendum vote?
    Even on Second Referendum vote Yougov has support for it under 50%, hardly mass demand
    42% back a second referendum, the same as the Tories got in 2017 and 6% less than Remain got in 2016
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Stereotomy, may well make Corbyn keener to regulate the press.
    edited August 2018
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

And will that be sustained come election time in (possibly) 4 years? I wouldn't count on it.

Obviously don't rule anything out, but come on, push comes to shove stopping the Tories from being the top party 4 elections in a row will be a priority.

(This does presume Corbyn is still there in 4 years, which I don't think is certain even if he is currently safe as houses).
    Yougov has 5% of 2017 Labour voters saying they would now vote Tory but only 3% of 2017 Tory voters saying they would now vote Labour.

7% of 2017 Labour voters say they would now vote LD and 2% say they would now vote UKIP. 10% of 2017 voters say they would now vote UKIP and 2% of 2017 Tory voters say they would now vote LD.

10% of 2017 LD voters say they would now vote Tory and 11% say they would now vote Labour but 11% of 7% is much less than 7% of 40%.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2018/08/10/voting-intention-conservatives-39-labour-35-8-9-au/
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

I think this, from the BBC story on Rees-Mogg defending Boris, may have unintended consequences:

"The Downing Street source said the party is compelled to investigate any complaint."

Even if thousands of letters of complaint come in from members demanding that Theresa May be investigated for bringing the role of Prime Minister into disrepute? But you are "compelled to investigate", Downing Street.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45153483

I would assume there is fine print which allows a certain amount of discretion when it comes to trivial or vexatious complaints and the like - a Downing Street source using a possibly ill chosen word won't, er, compel the party to be compelled to investigate in reality. Although it would be embarrassing to have to explain that after being unrealistically definitive on the matter.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Is there a coherent Corbynite rebuttal of the Mail’s story? I’ve seen some vehement assertion but no explanation of the apparent photographic evidence.

Even from the Mail's story, or the online version, this is based on an old Sunday Times report, and Corbyn's own contemporary account in the Morning Star when he claimed to be honouring a different set of graves.
    The photos are from October 1st 2014, which was the anniversary of the event Corbyn is claiming to have been commemorating: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Wooden_Leg

To me, that's relatively strong evidence that he's telling the truth. The idea that they'd hold a commemorative event on the anniversary of one event, and write a press report about it, so that they could cover up secretly commemorating something different, seems a bit farfetched. As far as I can tell, the only evidence to the contrary is that at some point Corbyn was photographed standing near a different grave.
    This link seems to suggest that he was aware that they were terrorists doesn't it?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/uk-labour-leader-corbyn-denies-honoring-munich-olympics-terrorist/
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,724
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

And will that be sustained come election time in (possibly) 4 years? I wouldn't count on it.

Obviously don't rule anything out, but come on, push comes to shove stopping the Tories from being the top party 4 elections in a row will be a priority.

(This does presume Corbyn is still there in 4 years, which I don't think is certain even if he is currently safe as houses).
    And if the LD’s had a different, more charismatic and/or photogenic Leader.......
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    Omnium said:

Is there a coherent Corbynite rebuttal of the Mail’s story? I’ve seen some vehement assertion but no explanation of the apparent photographic evidence.

Even from the Mail's story, or the online version, this is based on an old Sunday Times report, and Corbyn's own contemporary account in the Morning Star when he claimed to be honouring a different set of graves.
    The photos are from October 1st 2014, which was the anniversary of the event Corbyn is claiming to have been commemorating: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Wooden_Leg

To me, that's relatively strong evidence that he's telling the truth. The idea that they'd hold a commemorative event on the anniversary of one event, and write a press report about it, so that they could cover up secretly commemorating something different, seems a bit farfetched. As far as I can tell, the only evidence to the contrary is that at some point Corbyn was photographed standing near a different grave.
    This link seems to suggest that he was aware that they were terrorists doesn't it?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/uk-labour-leader-corbyn-denies-honoring-munich-olympics-terrorist/
    Actually I've found the quote from his Morning Star article.

"After wreaths were laid at the graves of those who died on that day and on the graves of others killed by Mossad agents in Paris in 1991, we moved to the poignant statue in the main avenue of the coastal town of Ben Arous, which was festooned with Palestinian and Tunisian flags."

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/a-98de-palestine-united-1

So he was there for both purposes.
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Yougov has 5% of 2017 Labour voters saying they would now vote Tory but only 3% of 2017 Tory voters saying they would now vote Labour.

7% of 2017 Labour voters say they would now vote LD and 2% say they would now vote UKIP. 10% of 2017 voters say they would now vote UKIP and 2% of 2017 Tory voters say they would now vote LD.

10% of 2017 LD voters say they would now vote Tory and 11% say they would now vote Labour but 11% of 7% is much less than 7% of 40%.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2018/08/10/voting-intention-conservatives-39-labour-35-8-9-au/
    That should be 10% of 2017 Tory voters say they would now vote UKIP
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

And if the LD’s had a different, more charismatic and/or photogenic Leader.......
    When are the LDs 'scheduled' to change their leader? Waiting until March? No time like the present though!

Looking at the list of LD MPs, interesting to see Tim Farron now has the smallest majority, when he had the largest majority of the 2015 survivors IIRC.
  • BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

kle4 said:

I think they've also clocked that Corbyn's rebuttals are like being savaged by a particularly indolent sheep.
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Any thoughts on Labour going back down below 30 % within the next year or two?
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

42% back a second referendum, the same as the Tories got in 2017 and 6% less than Remain got in 2016
    45% support it in the latest YouGov.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    rcs1000 said:

The only thing is that China doesn't have a free trading currency.

The Chinese government is currently intervening (and spending foreign reserves) to prop up the Reminbi.

There's a bit of a myth that China runs this massive trade surplus, and it's not - in aggregate - true. It's current account as a percentage of GDP is 1.4%, which is lower than Spain (1.7%), Austria (2.1%), Italy (2.9%) and a host of others.

Even in US Dollar terms, China's surplus is surprisingly small; it's well below Germany or Japan, and is less than twice that of the Netherlands - which is not a very large country. We only really fixate on China's surplus because of the insane US-China number (which is rather misleading).
    You've got me there. Not any more.

source: tradingeconomics.com
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,963
    HYUFD said:

Given how tiny their membership is, and how close they came to going broke, I doubt that UKIP will field more than a handful of candidates in 2022 or whenever. They can't afford the lost deposits.

So the question becomes - will those 10% of Tory voters sit on ther hands and allow Jeremy Corbyn, Prime Minister....

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

42% was from the last just second referendum poll but even 45% is still 3% less than the 48% Remain got in 2016. Hardly significant if not even all Remain voters back a second EU referendum
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

When are the LDs 'scheduled' to change their leader? Waiting until March? No time like the present though!

Looking at the list of LD MPs, interesting to see Tim Farron now has the smallest majority, when he had the largest majority of the 2015 survivors IIRC.
    Conference is in Sept. Jo Swinson is Deputy Leader and just finished/finishing maternity leave.
  • I'm proud to be a member of the Labour Party. Proud to be an elected Parish Councillor. To have been selected to run for Borough Council next year. Of what this party and this movement stands for. The Corbyn era is increasingly descending into stupidity but it isn't bringing my party into disrepute, because our society is in disrepute - politics mirrors wider events.

We are months away from potentially hurling ourselves into the abyss with established facts, process and laws being outright dismissed as "project fear". We have cut public service to the bone so that the fabric of society - law and order, care for the sick and old - is being replaced by a "core offer". We have at best an ignorant passive anti-semite leading my party (and at worst...), a choice of an Edwardian toff or a dog whistle racist as next Tory leader and only just dumped a screaming homophobe from leading the yellow pox.

We have quite a broad spread of political views on here - broad within support of the main parties never mind from (as examples) Archer to Jezziah at opposite ends. We aren't all going to agree with each other's perspectives and usually don't. But I read absolute positions both from individuals and projected onto individuals usually along the lines of "how can you/I stay when x is saying y".

Its not that simple. Life isn't absolutes - that's cultist thinking. Life is shades of grey and one thing being a little better or worse than another thing. Can I represent a party that's caught in the Black Sleep of the Kali Ma Corbyn cult? Absolutely - because locally very few of us drunk the blood, we have an award-winning council successfully protecting people from the Tory cuts. And the alternative is to put local Tories in charge and end up like Northamptonshire.

And for the general election last year? Our local Tory MP was James "Where's" Wharton. Replacing him with the fabulous Dr Paul Williams was a no-brainer, and it was great to play such an integral role in planning and shaping a campaign that pulled off an unexpected win.

And what would Prime Minister Corbyn be like? The funny thing about government is that it shaves off the spikey bits, the daft ideas, the impossible pledges. They all post #jc4pm but they will be denouncing him as a sell-out within months as the realities of power kick in. And if the alternative is 60% of what I want in a Labour government or 10% of what I want in a Tory government, I'm with Jezbollah all the way...

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

No, not unless a big Labour to LD move over Brexit
    rcs - only pretty recent though!
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Will he stand again? Any indications whether he is happy just bobbling along as a constituency MP?
    edited August 2018
    On Jeremy

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

42% was from the last just second referendum poll but even 45% is still 3% less than the 48% Remain got in 2016. Hardly significant if not even all Remain voters back a second EU referendum
    It is when only 18% are strongly opposed to a second referendum. When the time comes, the political pressure for it will be irresistible.

HYUFD said:

Given how tiny their membership is, and how close they came to going broke, I doubt that UKIP will field more than a handful of candidates in 2022 or whenever. They can't afford the lost deposits.

So the question becomes - will those 10% of Tory voters sit on ther hands and allow Jeremy Corbyn, Prime Minister....
    Except in the same Yougov poll the Tories have a 4% lead which would give a small Tory overall majority.

So even if those voters all went UKIP or stayed home at the next general election Corbyn would still not be PM as May's Tories have made a net gain from 2017 Labour voters and also picked up 10% of 2017 LD voters too
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The fun and games comes with the certainty to vote dropping. Not sure how polling is going to reflect people going from 8-9 likelihood of voting Labour to 4-5. They won't vote anyone else - but are getting far more likely to not vote at all than vote for an anti-semite tolerant, Brexit-facilitating Jeremy Corbyn.
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I think the MSM are like a dog with a bone when they see a story that makes waves and they are not going to al this summer
    Sure, but they've been dogs with bones before. Until his less bold critics will dial it back again

It is when only 18% are strongly opposed to a second referendum. When the time comes, the political pressure for it will be irresistible.
    Most of those Tories who are the governing party and when even Corbyn opposes a second referendum it is not happening.

In fact on last week's polling and the latest news from the EU and after the Boris controversy more likely we Brexit on a variant of the Chequers Deal, May stays Tory leader and narrowly beats Corbyn in 2022 and the diehard Remainer push for a second EU referendum is killed off for good albeit much as the push for hard Brexit and No Deal gradually dies off too
  • volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    More serious questions for Boris Johnson to answer regarding his relationship with watermelons.Do they have a "special" relationship?
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

And what would Prime Minister Corbyn be like? The funny thing about government is that it shaves off the spikey bits, the daft ideas, the impossible pledges.

No, it really doesn't. See the current government for every example ever required.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725

On Jeremy

This story has fallen apart faster than the Commie Spy one.

Have a nice weekend. Change is coming and Dacre is shitting himself.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1028213757439295488

• We have cut public service to the bone so that the fabric of society - law and order, care for the sick and old - is being replaced by a "core offer".

Government spending is over £800bn per year and over 40% of GDP.

That should be more than enough to maintain the 'fabric of society'.

If it isn't then perhaps the government is spending the money on things either it or the electorate regard as more important.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1028213757439295488
    Dear Dan he was honouring those innocent Palastinians killed in the air attack in Tunisia.

Go back to being an Anti Semite Dan.

Have a nice weekend Change is coming.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Conference is in Sept. Jo Swinson is Deputy Leader and just finished/finishing maternity leave.
    Swinson and Moran are both making major set speeches at Conference which will be closely observed by members (and I assume by Vince).
    rochdale - that's an excellent post. Although I would add that if party politics does mirror society to some extent, we also have a situation where is is the most passionate/obsessive/extreme who tend to join parties whilst most voters are more restrained.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Except in the same Yougov poll the Tories have a 4% lead which would give a small Tory overall majority.

So even if those voters all went UKIP or stayed home at the next general election Corbyn would still not be PM as May's Tories have made a net gain from 2017 Labour voters and also picked up 10% of 2017 LD voters too
    You're putting way too much weight on a single poll of about 1000 people with an MOE of 3%, and much higher MOE for sub-samples.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Owls, that account appears to be contradicted by photographs and the Morning Star story.
    Re Corbyn and confirmation bias: When the truth is murky or complex (and it usually is), you believe what you want to believe. Everyone does.

The secret is not to let it interfere with your betting.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265

rochdale - that's an excellent post. Although I would add that if party politics does mirror society to some extent, we also have a situation where is is the most passionate/obsessive/extreme who tend to join parties whilst most voters are more restrained.

Agree with the spirit of both posts. Voters tend to be more restrained but also less obsessed with detail - what May does to Boris or where Corbyn lays wreaths rapidly turns into yesterday's chip paper, while members anxiously chew it all over. But ultimately FPTP turns us all into pragmatists forced to settle for voting for a party that gives us 60% of what we want if we're lucky, or for a small party that never gets anywhere.

What is unusual at present is that people who favour quite strong meat - socialism, hard Brexit - who never thought it was remotely possible see a realistic chance of getting what they want. So they are prone to be itchy and sensitive and prone to shout "betrayal", but also more prone to be terminally disappointed. People like me who've been doing this for a long time are less aggressive (and less certain we're right all the time) but more persistent and more willing to accept gradual progress to what we would like.

Agree with the spirit of both posts. Voters tend to be more restrained but also less obsessed with detail - what May does to Boris or where Corbyn lays wreaths rapidly turns into yesterday's chip paper, while members anxiously chew it all over. But ultimately FPTP turns us all into pragmatists forced to settle for voting for a party that gives us 60% of what we want if we're lucky, or for a small party that never gets anywhere.

What is unusual at present is that people who favour quite strong meat - socialism, hard Brexit - who never thought it was remotely possible see a realistic chance of getting what they want. So they are prone to be itchy and sensitive and prone to shout "betrayal", but also more prone to be terminally disappointed. People like me who've been doing this for a long time are less aggressive (and less certain we're right all the time) but more persistent and more willing to accept gradual progress to what we would like.
    Excellent post
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I know we haven’t (m)any council by-elections recently, but IIRC that’s not what’s happening on the ground.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I know we haven’t (m)any council by-elections recently, but IIRC that’s not what’s happening on the ground.
    Even in council by elections the Tories gained a seat from the LDs in Newquay in Cornwall on Thursday but of course even Blair lost council by elections. If the main opposition is not even winning council by elections it has no chance of winning the next general election
  • Scott_P said:

And what would Prime Minister Corbyn be like? The funny thing about government is that it shaves off the spikey bits, the daft ideas, the impossible pledges.

No, it really doesn't. See the current government for every example ever required.
    I agree with Scott p. In order to win, beat opponents, every government puts winning ahead of good government.
    edited August 2018
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You're putting way too much weight on a single poll of about 1000 people with an MOE of 3%, and much higher MOE for sub-samples.
    The Tories were on the same 39% with ICM as Yougov last week too albeit Labour were higher and the LDs and UKIP lower with ICM
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Glad to see one commentator who has the same views as myself :)
    https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2018/08/theres-a-case-for-an-amazon-tax-but-it-isnt-saving-the-high-street.html
    Instead of trying to extract more tax from a successsful but unprofitable online company, why not look instead at how we can best address the rising rents and business rates that are killing the high street.
    Isn't this fascinating?

https://www.wired.com/story/age-of-social-credit/?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=The+Long+Read+-+Collections+2017&utm_term=283229&subid=6274295&CMP=longread_collection

Not totally bad, but with a massive potential for misuse. If a social credit system had publicly-stated criteria that we could freely debate (bonuses for giving to charity, penalties for criminal convitions, etc.) then it might be better than the semi-conscious biases that we all use when dealing with each other. But it's...scary too, and that's before one even gets into the hacknig potential.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Corbyn isn't socialism. A sort of nostalgic, far left/ conservative hybrid with a side obsession for middle East politics.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Scott_P said:
    If that song is still in my head in 10 minutes time, I'm going to hunt you down and disembowel you with a rusty can opener.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarggggggggg......
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Tories were on the same 39% with ICM as Yougov last week too albeit Labour were higher and the LDs and UKIP lower with ICM
    The YouGov fieldwork was carried out at least 4 days after ICM and a lot was happening.
    edited August 2018
    Light relief
    https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/burqas-apparently-biggest-issue-facing-family-of-twats-from-nantwich-20180808176069

Dad Steve Sheridan agreed: “It just doesn’t feel like your own country anymore when women aren’t showing plenty of flabby midriff in ill-advised lycra tops."
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2018

On my TL, he's simply honouring Palestinian freedom fighters. Anyone who asks awkward questions about the precise nature of the freedom fighting is a filthy Zionist, natch.

Isn't this fascinating?

https://www.wired.com/story/age-of-social-credit/?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=The+Long+Read+-+Collections+2017&utm_term=283229&subid=6274295&CMP=longread_collection

Not totally bad, but with a massive potential for misuse. If a social credit system had publicly-stated criteria that we could freely debate (bonuses for giving to charity, penalties for criminal convitions, etc.) then it might be better than the semi-conscious biases that we all use when dealing with each other. But it's...scary too, and that's before one even gets into the hacknig potential.

That’s absolutely terrifying, 101 new ways your government can make you an un-person.

The writings of George Orwell were intended to serve as a warning to politicians, not an instruction manual.
    edited August 2018
    John_M said:

On my TL, he's simply honouring Palestinian freedom fighters. Anyone who asks awkward questions about the precise nature of the freedom fighting is a filthy Zionist, natch.
    Most of the cult have just said "Daily Mail, pfff. They supported Hitler."

Arse. Wicket. What a waste of a review.
    Anorak said:

John_M said:

Surely Cook at the other end should have told him straight away to walk. That review could come in useful later.
  • Uh oh - Spurs playing at same time as England batting...

Time to hide behind the sofa.
  • Yeah but no but yeah but singing Agadoo instead of the National Anthem would be poor form
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,095
    edited August 2018
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Even in council by elections the Tories gained a seat from the LDs in Newquay in Cornwall on Thursday but of course even Blair lost council by elections. If the main opposition is not even winning council by elections it has no chance of winning the next general election
    A seat that used to be UKIP until the LibDems won a surprise by-election in 2016 when Labour didn't stand. Hardly a surprise that in a three-way contest with no UKIP the Tory stood a chance, particularly as he was a well known local figure and former PPC.
    Anorak said:

If that song is still in my head in 10 minutes time, I'm going to hunt you down and disembowel you with a rusty can opener.

I don't believe you would Agadoo it...
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

The interesting aspect of this is that it shows Corbyn to be a liar. The fact that he honoured these people has been out in the public domain for some time but the response has been that he was honouring some other victims of Israel. This photo shows that his previous response was not the whole truth. It is not the first time commentators have pointed out that his responses have not been accurate or complete but it has not been easy to prove in a quick and easy way. This photo does that.

Whether it will have any political effect at all is another matter. Corbyn's sympathies are well known and “politician is a liar” is hardly news.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

I'm proud to be a member of the Labour Party. Proud to be an elected Parish Councillor. To have been selected to run for Borough Council next year. Of what this party and this movement stands for. The Corbyn era is increasingly descending into stupidity but it isn't bringing my party into disrepute, because our society is in disrepute - politics mirrors wider events.

We are months away from potentially hurling ourselves into the abyss with established facts, process and laws being outright dismissed as "project fear". We have cut public service to the bone so that the fabric of society - law and order, care for the sick and old - is being replaced by a "core offer". We have at best an ignorant passive anti-semite leading my party (and at worst...), a choice of an Edwardian toff or a dog whistle racist as next Tory leader and only just dumped a screaming homophobe from leading the yellow pox.

We have quite a broad spread of political views on here - broad within support of the main parties never mind from (as examples) Archer to Jezziah at opposite ends. We aren't all going to agree with each other's perspectives and usually don't. But I read absolute positions both from individuals and projected onto individuals usually along the lines of "how can you/I stay when x is saying y".

Its not that simple. Life isn't absolutes - that's cultist thinking. Life is shades of grey and one thing being a little better or worse than another thing. Can I represent a party that's caught in the Black Sleep of the Kali Ma Corbyn cult? Absolutely - because locally very few of us drunk the blood, we have an award-winning council successfully protecting people from the Tory cuts. And the alternative is to put local Tories in charge and end up like Northamptonshire.

And for the general election last year? Our local Tory MP was James "Where's" Wharton. Replacing him with the fabulous Dr Paul Williams was a no-brainer, and it was great to play such an integral role in planning and shaping a campaign that pulled off an unexpected win.

And what would Prime Minister Corbyn be like? The funny thing about government is that it shaves off the spikey bits, the daft ideas, the impossible pledges. They all post #jc4pm but they will be denouncing him as a sell-out within months as the realities of power kick in. And if the alternative is 60% of what I want in a Labour government or 10% of what I want in a Tory government, I'm with Jezbollah all the way...

Another great post.

Yeah but no but yeah but singing Agadoo instead of the National Anthem would be poor form
    One of the worst mistakes Cameron made was to tell him to smarten up and sing the national anthem. It made him look like a serious politician rather than a retired geography teacher with a lot of bad friends - even if us anoraks can see that he has only the one, dark blue, suit.
    Scott_P said:

Anorak said:

I don't believe you would Agadoo it...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESViOhqRdlE&list=RDESViOhqRdlE&t=34
    Very scary story coming out of Seattle, it looks like a possibly mentally ill airport worker stole an airliner, took off then crashed it. :open_mouth:
    https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/612056-someone-stole-q400-seattle.html
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    Sandpit said:

Very scary story coming out of Seattle, it looks like a possibly mentally ill airport worker stole an airliner, took off then crashed it. :open_mouth:

He threw some serious curves before going down.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1028208557173493760
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    @RochdalePioneers my only question is how do you look your local Jewish Labour voters in the eye. If you have any.
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

In a poll of 1000-1300 people I suggest you might usefully do the maths and work out how small some of these subsamples actually are. You are pontificating on the back of the responses of tiny handfuls of people.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,590
    Sandpit said:

Anorak said:

John_M said:

Surely Cook at the other end should have told him straight away to walk. That review could come in useful later.
    Doesn’t speak well of either of them, and for a player of Cook’s experience.....
    edited August 2018
    Sandpit said:

Yeah. Sad story. Suicidal guy but didn't hurt (or appear to want to hurt) anyone else. The barrel roll was pretty impressive; quite a way to sign out. Almost 80 seats on a plane like that, it's no Cessna.
    Anorak said:

Light relief
    https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/burqas-apparently-biggest-issue-facing-family-of-twats-from-nantwich-20180808176069

Dad Steve Sheridan agreed: “It just doesn’t feel like your own country anymore when women aren’t showing plenty of flabby midriff in ill-advised lycra tops."

I like the "accept cookies" button that the Mash uses: "Whatever"
  • I guess that the Turkish lira slide is an example of why contrary to the video bilateral deficits do matter. Germany traded sophisticated equipment with Turkey for holidays in the sun and cheap bank loans. When Germans decided turkey not the place to go anymore the turkey lira crashes.
  • The UK has traded lawyers and bankers for Mercedes with Germany. If the trade gets more complicated with Brexit who will suffer more? So far the markets are betting on the UK and the pound is dropping
    And there goes our other review, for what should have been an easy decision for the batsman to walk. Good little knock from Pope though, 28 from 38.
    edited August 2018
    Because an incompetent disloyal and dishonest "liberal" (sic) with erratic judgement is just what the country wants right now?
  • The UK has traded lawyers and bankers for Mercedes with Germany. If the trade gets more complicated with Brexit who will suffer more? So far the markets are betting on the UK and the pound is dropping

Perhaps you'd like to tell us what the trade balance between the UK and Germany has been during the last decade so we can see how successful trading lawyers and bankers for Mercedes has been.

Perhaps you'd like to tell us what the trade balance between the UK and Germany has been during the last decade so we can see how successful trading lawyers and bankers for Mercedes has been.
    The deficit with Germany is about £30bn on trade without services. This is in my view not healthy. I disagree with the video. We need to address it.
    Sandpit said:

And there goes our other review, for what should have been an easy decision for the batsman to walk. Good little knock from Pope though, 28 from 38.

Yes, really Root’s fault for not saying don’t review.
    Still, it does seem as though a result is on.... :smile:
    Sandpit said:

Glad to see one commentator who has the same views as myself :)
    https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2018/08/theres-a-case-for-an-amazon-tax-but-it-isnt-saving-the-high-street.html
    Instead of trying to extract more tax from a successsful but unprofitable online company, why not look instead at how we can best address the rising rents and business rates that are killing the high street.

The fundamental flaw of modern conservatism. The refusal to take sides between large and small businesses. The fact Amazon is unprofitable is no mistake. Destroy the competition and then be in a position of global dominance.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,044
    IanB2 said:

Because an incompetent disloyal and dishonest "liberal" (sic) with erratic judgement is just what the country wants right now?
    Still available at 6.8 on BF.

Way long imho. I may stock again.
  • Scott_P said:
    This story looks more shaky than others...but regardless even if it was true, Jezza the terrorist sympathizer is not news and totally factored in. There seems to be a large proportion of the country who are willing to give him a pass on the fact him and McDonnell have snuggled up up to terrorists for the past 40 years.

Where as nick an offensive joke out the Guardian about burkas and you are the main news story for the next 7 days.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082
    edited August 2018

The UK has traded lawyers and bankers for Mercedes with Germany. If the trade gets more complicated with Brexit who will suffer more? So far the markets are betting on the UK and the pound is dropping

@rcs1000 points out that trade deficit is caused by low savings rate. If Britons save rather than consume then the imbalance will resolve.

The deficit with Germany is about £30bn on trade without services. This is in my view not healthy. I disagree with the video. We need to address it.
    As neither British governments nor the British people have shown any inclination to live within their means then the UK requires a lower exchange rate.

Firstly to reduce consumption of imported consumer tat and foreign holidays.

Secondly to make British produced goods and services more affordable in other countries.
  • Well we know why Jezza won't adopt the full internationally recognized definition of anti-Semitism...

Jeremy Corbyn has likened Israel’s actions in the West Bank to the Second World War Nazi occupation of Europe, a comparison that breaches the international definition of anti-Semitism.

Speaking at the Palestinian Return Centre in 2013, the Labour leader, then a backbench MP, said many would recognise the state of affairs Palestinians were under in the West Bank as being similar to those “who suffered occupation during the Second World War”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/08/10/corbyn-likened-israels-west-bank-actions-nazi-occupation-europe/

IanB2 said:

Still available at 6.8 on BF.

Way long imho. I may stock again.
    Agree. Reckon it needs special pleading to get him above 3s. If he gets to the ballot of members, he is in pole position. The betting at 6.8 is that he won't get say 90 MPs to get into the top 2. So who are the two to stop him? Javid and ???

Assuming he stands. And hard not to conclude he is "on manoeuvres" for the top job now.
    107 isn't looking too shabby a score now....
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    Assume this has been done?

https://twitter.com/rebroger/status/1027921747780272128

'After the last couple of weeks we need to to steady the ship'

'Hold my beer'

The UK has traded lawyers and bankers for Mercedes with Germany. If the trade gets more complicated with Brexit who will suffer more? So far the markets are betting on the UK and the pound is dropping

As neither British governments nor the British people have shown any inclination to live within their means then the UK requires a lower exchange rate.

Secondly to make British produced goods and services more affordable in other countries.
    But German goods ARE artificially cheap due to the Euro of course.
    Person who commits the most egregious atrocity against the ethos of the Olympic movement = "someone suspect", huh?

Maybe they save their outrage for people who committed the Holocaust?

Oh....

• Its not that simple. Life isn't absolutes - that's cultist thinking. Life is shades of grey and one thing being a little better or worse than another thing. Can I represent a party that's caught in the Black Sleep of the Kali Ma Corbyn cult? Absolutely - because locally very few of us drunk the blood, we have an award-winning council successfully protecting people from the Tory cuts. And the alternative is to put local Tories in charge and end up like Northamptonshire.

So everything including local Labour parties comes in different shades of grey except for the Tories who are the same in Rochdale as they are in Northamptonshire?
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    edited August 2018
    We’re going to be leaving the customs union, after a decent transition, it is the only workable solution.

But probably not here, after our devaluation gets finished.

My favourite Germany story this week:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45150298
    “German police save man from baby squirrel terror”....
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,547

Selling less and affording to buy less aren't solutions to a balance of payments deficit.

Which is leading to economic imbalances throughout Europe.

And as the Germans are unwilling to provide the financial transfers the Southern European countries then transfer people to the Northern European countries.
This discussion has been closed.