Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » We need to talk about Brandon Lewis

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Anazina said:

RobD said:

Anazina said:

I think it is fairly clear now that the nation has turned against Brexit. May has a clear opportunity for a BINO fudge. She should grab it with both hands.

Wait, I thought the Leave/Remain split was still about the same?
    I’m no believer in polls. They are a very blunt instrument, at best. The mood music is a better indicator. Brexit is no longer popular.
    While the absolute number may be inaccurate, the trend is probably good. And the trend has been static.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited August 2018

O/T Just been dipping into the European Championships...

How did Britain become so good at sport? I seem to remember in the 30 or 40 years ago we were always embarrassingly poor compared with (both East & West) Germany; but this time Britain 25 golds, Germany only 12 !?

All thanks to John Major and the National Lottery.

Allowed sport to funded like never before.

Blair deserves an honourable mention, biding and winning the Olympics also helped focus the minds and allow new funding streams.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,231

How did Britain become so good at sport? I seem to remember in the 30 or 40 years ago we were always embarrassingly poor compared with (both East & West) Germany; but this time Britain 25 golds, Germany only 12 !?

Lottery money. Just walked the 4x100m in both men and women as well. Good to see. Interesting that Russia won overall though.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

RobD said:

Anazina said:

I think it is fairly clear now that the nation has turned against Brexit. May has a clear opportunity for a BINO fudge. She should grab it with both hands.

I’m no believer in polls. They are a very blunt instrument, at best. The mood music is a better indicator. Brexit is no longer popular.
    I’m no massive believer of polls either; but down here in Dorset the mood music is that people want to get on with Brexit.

You see the problem with ‘mood music’?
    Mood music is simply an unweighted, heavily biased form of polling.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

HYUFD said:

Trump was moving in that direction of course but it was Bannon who provided the intellectual heft behind the Trump message based on Bannon's economic nationalist beliefs in reducing immigration and restricting free trade with China and Mexico and an opposition to military interventions overseas.

He is a populist nationalist conservative rather than a fiscal conservative, he even supports raising income tax on those with incomes of over $5 million dollars a year. Indeed despite his Harvard MBA and his position as a VP at Goldman Sachs and as an executive producer in Hollywood Bannon despises the California, New York, Ivy League and DC coastal elites all of whom voted heavily for Hillary

In other words Trump won on his own philosophy, not Bannon's.
    20 years ago Trump was a Clinton Democrat
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

National Lottery funding
  • Options

Brexit is collapsing before our eyes.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/11/brexit-swansea-leave-voting-turns-against-brexit-remain?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Politic is a tough business. You've got to have a programme, win people over to it and implement it. If you aren't in that game you are just posturing. Winning a referendum isn't enough. You need to be able to put the plan into action.

I think that is wishful thinking. May and Corbyn are not going to agree a second vote, indeed May would be gone the minute she suggests it.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

HYUFD said:

Trump was moving in that direction of course but it was Bannon who provided the intellectual heft behind the Trump message based on Bannon's economic nationalist beliefs in reducing immigration and restricting free trade with China and Mexico and an opposition to military interventions overseas.

He is a populist nationalist conservative rather than a fiscal conservative, he even supports raising income tax on those with incomes of over $5 million dollars a year. Indeed despite his Harvard MBA and his position as a VP at Goldman Sachs and as an executive producer in Hollywood Bannon despises the California, New York, Ivy League and DC coastal elites all of whom voted heavily for Hillary

Bannon had been having regular calls with Trump since 2013! Bannon molded Trump in his own image.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Anazina said:

RobD said:

Anazina said:

While the absolute number may be inaccurate, the trend is probably good. And the trend has been static.
    Pre EU referendum the polls tended to be 50-55% Remain, 45-50% Leave.

• Options
    Anazina said:

I expect that is very likely
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Since we started spending a lot of money on it.
  • Options

Anazina said:

It is called the Chequers Deal
  • Options

Anazina said:

You're right of course. Good job it's such a safe pair of hands... Oh, sh*t...
    Come on now - she is the only grown up and is more than likely to get a deal, probably helped by the EU's fear of Boris
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,040
    Foxy said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Why are we talking about Boris' intention? His intentions are clear - it's all about him and his career. Anyone who doesn't understand that fact is as thick as shit!

The c*nt knifed his so-called friend David Cameron. He's far from stupid and came to the conclusion that staying in the EU was the most appropriate and logical choice at the referendum but decided to play against that retaliation purely for HIS own political ambitions.

The same viz-a-viz the burka/niqab. It's all about him folks!

Brexit = a calamity
    Bexiteers = xenophobes / little Englanders / thickos (delete as appropriate).

Why do you continue to demean yourself with your language.
    Calling Boris a c*nt is hardly demeaning!
    I would agree, but with different reasoning.

While I appreciate that the C word is used as the most offensive form of swearing, I see it as inherently misogynistic to do so. It implies that the sexual organs of women are the most shameful and dirty thing possible. To use such language suggests a deeply held fear of female sexuality. Being a dick or a prick is mild in comparison. I personally think female sexuality should be respected and celebrated so would not use the C word as a term of abuse.

So, while I have a low opinion of Boris, I would prefer other terms to describe him, indeed in the flowery archaic language that Boris favours, I would suggest that he is a cad, blackguard and mounteback.
    In Glasgow 'prick' is more derogatory than 'cunt'. In fact the 'c' word is almost neutral, e.g. 'that boy's a good cunt' is quite normal. 'Prick' tends to be vehemently negative. Of course Glasgow has its own fine store of insults from which to draw.
  • Options
    Just seen Boris on Sky giving all the journalists a cup of tea with a big smile but no controversial comments.

He is a showman and is clearly in a relaxed place
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Does anyone agree with me that this years Premiership will be a procession for City with Liverpool coming second but not on the same planet as City

As a Man Utd supporter since 1953 I can only say that City deserve all the praise they are receiving, even after only one round of matches

Many Premier league teams are just not up to the standard and some are going to get hammered. The PL runs the risk of becoming one long predictable bore

I wouldn't be so sure about City winning easily. I certainly wouldn't judge them too much on what they did today.

That is the worst Arsenal performance at the Emirates. By a mile. It's early days, but Emery needs to figure out what he wants the players to do because today I didn't have a clue what the tactics were.

I didn't see the Liverpool game but I reckon they could give City a run for their money. But they absolutely have to be in touch with City come their first meeting in October.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Anazina said:

You're right of course. Good job it's such a safe pair of hands... Oh, sh*t...
    Come on now - she is the only grown up and is more than likely to get a deal, probably helped by the EU's fear of Boris
    Agreed.
  • Options
    Woods could be just one back in the PGA soon. Off to watch it on the bloody laptop - farcical that we can’t watch it on telly.
  • Options

Getting prepared for Brexit !!!!!
    I think you'll find our improvement has been during our EU membership :)
    I was joking Ben !!!
    Sorry, couldn't stop myself biting! :wink:
    Good to have a humour though
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

It is called the Chequers Deal
    Hope so
  • Options
    Has there ever been a more patronising member of PB than ‘Mortimer’ ?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Does anyone agree with me that this years Premiership will be a procession for City with Liverpool coming second but not on the same planet as City

As a Man Utd supporter since 1953 I can only say that City deserve all the praise they are receiving, even after only one round of matches

Many Premier league teams are just not up to the standard and some are going to get hammered. The PL runs the risk of becoming one long predictable bore

Yes, everyone agrees with you. Nip down to your local betting shop and look at the odds.

Man City 8/13
    Liverpool 7/2
    Man Utd 12
    Chelsea 14
    Spurs 16
    Arsenal 33

Those are the big six. Next in the betting comes Everton at 250/1 and it is any price the rest.
    https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/winner

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,054
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

20 years ago Trump was a Clinton Democrat
    His political philosophy has been very consistent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1H0wnX2JjE
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Woods could be just one back in the PGA soon. Off to watch it on the bloody laptop - farcical that we can’t watch it on telly.

I find it amazing that it is not on Sky
  • Options

Anazina said:

They're more interested in pissing our money up the wall on studio graphics that makes it look like they're not at the ground when, in fact, they are.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Was great to see the sportsmanship at the European Games.

After the victory in the men's 4x100m the team could hardly give an interview without being mobbed by the other countries' teams congratulating them.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I wouldn't be so sure about City winning easily. I certainly wouldn't judge them too much on what they did today.

That is the worst Arsenal performance at the Emirates. By a mile. It's early days, but Emery needs to figure out what he wants the players to do because today I didn't have a clue what the tactics were.

I didn't see the Liverpool game but I reckon they could give City a run for their money. But they absolutely have to be in touch with City come their first meeting in October.
    We were fab against West Ham who liked they had never met each other nor were they aware of the dangers of a playing a high line against Liverpool.

My own view is that we massively underpaid for Keita.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

They're more interested in pissing our money up the wall on studio graphics that makes it look like they're not at the ground when, in fact, they are.
    We were visiting family in Scotland during the open and had to invite ourselves round on the Sunday to see the final round live on Sky, not that it was difficult as they held a BBQ for us
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    In relation to the thread article done by TSE. I find it amazing that Johnson seems to be getting away with saying that an ethnic minority looks like Bank Robbers. I don't have a problem with Letter Boxes jibe but Johnson in saying that Women wearing a particular type of headdress look like Bank Robbers is inciting hatred of an ethnic minority! I think only the Great Train Robbers have been perceived (Wrongly as a man was murdered) in a positive light. So what was Boris Johnson doing if he was not inciting hatred of an ethnic minority in linking Bank robbers with Muslim women?

Johnson should not get away with this, Livingstone was rightly ostracised by Labour for his Zionist comments and forced out after a long time. I think Boris Johnson has done far worse by inciting hatred against an ethnic minority due to their dress.

• Options

In relation to the thread article done by TSE. I find it amazing that Johnson seems to be getting away with saying that an ethnic minority looks like Bank Robbers. I don't have a problem with Letter Boxes jibe but Johnson in saying that Women wearing a particular type of headdress look like Bank Robbers is inciting hatred of an ethnic minority! I think only the Great Train Robbers have been perceived (Wrongly as a man was murdered) in a positive light. So what was Boris Johnson doing if he was not inciting hatred of an ethnic minority in linking Bank robbers with Muslim women?

Johnson should not get away with this, Livingstone was rightly ostracised by Labour for his Zionist comments and forced out after a long time. I think Boris Johnson has done far worse by inciting hatred against an ethnic minority due to their dress.

Getting away with it? Perhaps you’ve not read a newspaper this week... :p
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

We were visiting family in Scotland during the open and had to invite ourselves round on the Sunday to see the final round live on Sky, not that it was difficult as they held a BBQ for us
    That's a mighty big chair, Big_G!
  • Options

He has raised an issue but in a clumsy manner. 60% support him with 26% against

He did not suggest banning them which, judging by the reactions, would have been popular and allied us to France, Denmark, Belgium and other EU Countries
  • Options

tlg86 said:

We were fab against West Ham who liked they had never met each other nor were they aware of the dangers of a playing a high line against Liverpool.

I haven't seen much o Keita; all I remember about him is that he had a bit of a disciplinary issue at one time.

What's going to mix things up is the Champions League. The competition should be a bit stiffer in the group stage and Liverpool could find themselves in Pot 3 and potentially a really nasty group.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

That's a mighty big chair, Big_G!
    A lovely comfy chair at Sofitel in Terminal 5
  • Options

He did not suggest banning them which, judging by the reactions, would have been popular and allied us to France, Denmark, Belgium and other EU Countries
    I met some people this afternoon who agreed with Johnson, I am not saying it has not got popular appeal.

What I am saying is he is inciting hatred. That cannot be right however you look at it and he needs to suffer consequences. The lower echelons of society might start attacking women with head dress due to Johnsons comments.

I have witnessed a few weeks after Brexit a woman spitting at an Irish man and throwing a glass bottle at him due to nationalistic rhetoric, she said she thought Brexit meant people like him should have gone!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

tlg86 said:

Was watching that in the car on the way back, completely insane decision to play a high line against that attack. Surely sit deep and go for counter attacks. It's the only way to play against Liverpool.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,040
    edited August 2018
    I would love to think this won't be an anticlimax (as the dominatrix said to the future chancellor), but...

https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe/status/1028741959521894406
  • Options

I met some people this afternoon who agreed with Johnson, I am not saying it has not got popular appeal.

What I am saying is he is inciting hatred. That cannot be right however you look at it and he needs to suffer consequences. The lower echelons of society might start attacking women with head dress due to Johnsons comments.

I have witnessed a few weeks after Brexit a woman spitting at an Irish man and throwing a glass bottle at him due to nationalistic rhetoric, she said she thought Brexit meant people like him should have gone!
    As I said his words were clumsy and it is very regretable if women are attacked

However, it is unlikely anything further will happen to him as the Met have said he has no case to answer
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    Anazina said:

I am sure that I can give the youngster a run for his money :)
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

What ethic group has he incited hatred against?
    I read that of Muslims in the UK only 0.1% wear the Burka/Niqab.
    Are Burqa wearers an ethnic group?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

It does look like Liverpool vs Man City to me for the title, but holding onto the Championahip while competing in the CL is a tough prospect.

I was quite heartened by my own teams performance at Old Trafford. A little short of cutting edge until Vardy came on, and fragile defensively until our new unpronounceable Centrebacks start, but nonetheless dominated the possession for much of the game.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

So it's ok to discriminate against a minority, if it's a small enough one? And discrimination in itself is not bad, only discrimination against ethnic groups? And it is beyond your wit to see that muslim immigrants into this country tend to belong to one of a short listof ethnic groups?

What a preposterously silly post.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

It does look like Liverpool vs Man City to me for the title, but holding onto the Championahip while competing in the CL is a tough prospect.

I was quite heartened by my own teams performance at Old Trafford. A little short of cutting edge until Vardy came on, and fragile defensively until our new unpronounceable Centrebacks start, but nonetheless dominated the possession for much of the game.
    And yet the press reckon Puel is on thin ice. Weird.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

West Ham bottom of the table already - not a good look :(
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Any one looking forward to the new BBC six part drama about a ruthlessly ambitious female Home Secretary who will do anything to get the top job. It stars Keeley Hawes as Theresa May - sorry Julia Montague - and Richard Madden as her bodyguard

Looks like something worth watching!

https://youtu.be/jZj4M_Qz-mI

• Options

I would love to think this won't be an anticlimax (as the dominatrix said to the future chancellor), but...

The 'story' is not anything we did not really know about Boris before.

However she did come out with this classic line in an earlier tweet, even if a bit too much information

https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe/status/1028673551115665411
  • Options

I see they give anyone blue ticks these days.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

So it's ok to discriminate against a minority, if it's a small enough one? And discrimination in itself is not bad, only discrimination against ethnic groups? And it is beyond your wit to see that muslim immigrants into this country tend to belong to one of a short listof ethnic groups?

I've never seen Yasmin Alibhai-Brown wear burqa, or Saira Khan, or Samira Ahmed, or Tulip Siddiqui, or Baroness Warsi, or Rushanara Ali. Need I go on?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I will repeat the point what "ethnic" group do Burka wearers belong to. It is a fashion choice, just like some women like to wear mini-skirts, some men like to wear pointy shoes.
    Some Muslim immigrants have no hair covering, some head coverings partial or full.
    It is like saying the BBC is inciting a hate crime for depicting poor people in the UK wearing shells suits, or sports wear.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

In relation to the thread article done by TSE. I find it amazing that Johnson seems to be getting away with saying that an ethnic minority looks like Bank Robbers. So what was Boris Johnson doing if he was not inciting hatred of an ethnic minority in linking Bank robbers with Muslim women?

However, it is unlikely anything further will happen to him as the Met have said he has no case to answer
    I would not say they were clumsy but deliberate!

Don't be fobbed off by the popular appeal angle. This man could be PM in weeks, his judgement is terrible and if white folk incite hatred against a section of society do not be surprised if we have another Manchester type attack because of it. The two play off each other. Believe me I am not a bleeding heart liberal but it is not sensible to push people into a corner through ostracization for a marginal political gain. Johnson does these things for political gain, often he rides two opposing issues at the same time. He is so full of contradictions it makes me wonder what the true Boris Johnson is like. I see people taken in by them, they have this stupid expression on their face where they are impressed by him. It is like a trance. Cannot people see right through him? He is just like Gordon Brown in 2007 getting adulation for little political effort and he is just as Clueless as Brown should he get power.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    Anazina said:

Some of us try quite hard...
  • Options

In relation to the thread article done by TSE. I find it amazing that Johnson seems to be getting away with saying that an ethnic minority looks like Bank Robbers. So what was Boris Johnson doing if he was not inciting hatred of an ethnic minority in linking Bank robbers with Muslim women?

Don't be fobbed off by the popular appeal angle. This man could be PM in weeks, his judgement is terrible and if white folk incite hatred against a section of society do not be surprised if we have another Manchester type attack because of it. The two play off each other. Believe me I am not a bleeding heart liberal but it is not sensible to push people into a corner through ostracization for a marginal political gain. Johnson does these things for political gain, often he rides two opposing issues at the same time. He is so full of contradictions it makes me wonder what the true Boris Johnson is like. I see people taken in by them, they have this stupid expression on their face where they are impressed by him. It is like a trance. Cannot people see right through him? He is just like Gordon Brown in 2007 getting adulation for little political effort and he is just as Clueless as Brown should he get power.
    So Boris’ comments could be used for justification for another terrorist bombing? Those lunatics need no such reason.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

We hear a lot about the rights of Muslim women to 'choose' to wear the Burqa - in reality the Niqab in the UK which exposes the eyes - - but very little about the rights of women who are forced to wear it by their husbands and fathers and brothers by direct and indirect pressure. I expect few of them have a voice. Or is it only white middle class women who are victims of the patriarchy and me too?

I almost never saw women wearing niqabs in east London - which has a relatively large Muslim population - until the last year or two and now it's a regular and often multiple times a day occurrence. The numbers are increasing and that percentage share you quote (assuming there is any data behind it) is only likely to rise.

For many the debate is a theoretical concept as they rarely come across it in their white middle class liberal suburbs and shires - but who speaks up for the women in the UK and elsewhere for whom is not a choice.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

I don’t believe it was in the slightest bit clumsy. I think it very carefully calibrated to give offence, and appeal to islamophobes, while retaining a shred of defensibility.

That he’d recently consulted with Bannon tends to support that belief.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

And yet the press reckon Puel is on thin ice. Weird.
    Certainly the fans were against him by April, but seem now to have got behind him.

Our Thai owners are increasingly astute, and if they wanted to sack Puel would have done so before the summer. Instead they backed him and so far his new signings look very good indeed, particularly Maddison. Ndidi just gets better and keeping Maguire was the correct decision. We may be a little light up front but top 10 will see him safe, though the owners want to be back in Europe.

The owners are pretty intolerant of a manager who drops into the the relegation zone, but I think that his 4231 system is looking better after Puel has had a proper pre season.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Wearing shell suits is not a criminal offence (Although some might claim it should be!). Robbing a bank is a criminal offence.

Don't be pedantic about ethnic groups, it shows how valid the argument that he was inciting hatred that you skate on a pin. Indeed, I would go further still in that he was using the head dress as a veiled attack on all Muslims as guess what head dress most people associate most commonly with Muslims (Despite it being a small number actively wearing them). The only white woman I can think of who wears head gear in the UK is Lauren Booth who converted to the Muslim faith IIRC.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I don’t believe it was in the slightest bit clumsy. I think it very carefully calibrated to give offence, and appeal to islamophobes, while retaining a shred of defensibility.

I just do not see any connection with Bannon other than some who are trying to make out he is supporting the alt right
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Wearing shell suits is not a criminal offence (Although some might claim it should be!). Robbing a bank is a criminal offence.

Don't be pedantic about ethnic groups, it shows how valid the argument that he was inciting hatred that you skate on a pin. Indeed, I would go further still in that he was using the head dress as a veiled attack on all Muslims as guess what head dress most people associate most commonly with Muslims (Despite it being a small number actively wearing them). The only white woman I can think of who wears head gear in the UK is Lauren Booth who converted to the Muslim faith IIRC.
    I've never seen Yasmin Alibhai-Brown wear burqa, or Saira Khan, or Samira Ahmed, or Tulip Siddiqui, or Baroness Warsi, or Rushanara Ali. Need I go on?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I just do not see any connection with Bannon other than some who are trying to make out he is supporting the alt right
    I think the truth is more than Bannon is trying to present himself an an omnipotent Svengali and is latching onto anyone who looks popular. Unfortunately the media buy into it.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

I think to be classified as inciting hatred he would have needed to say something along the line of "All burka wearers are bank robbers."
  • Options
    RobD said:

So Boris’ comments could be used for justification for another terrorist bombing? Those lunatics need no such reason.
    True, but there is no good to be had in giving them an excuse for an attack. If a sub section of society feels oppressed by a larger group of individuals bad things happen, just look what happened in Northern Ireland. Catholics felt oppressed by the protestants and it led to violence.

What utility other than political expediency for Boris is there in marginalising them?

People need to wake up about this.
  • Options

RobD said:

Cannot people see right through him? He is just like Gordon Brown in 2007 getting adulation for little political effort and he is just as Clueless as Brown should he get power.
    True, but there is no good to be had in giving them an excuse for an attack. If a sub section of society feels oppressed by a larger group of individuals bad things happen, just look what happened in Northern Ireland. Catholics felt oppressed by the protestants and it led to violence.

What utility other than political expediency for Boris is there in marginalising them?

In Western Europe where we have questioned, ridiculed and come to an arrangement with religion, it is unacceptable that you can not cartoon or mock a religion because the guys with AK47's will turn up.
  • Options
    Boris is laying out his policy platform. This weeks article is about the housing market. Criticises house builders and government policy.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Ishmael_Z said:

I never said they did.

Don't be taken in by Johnson. It's easy to believe "He didn't mean it" and think he has altruistic motives. But he does mean it and more people than the intended target get sucked into the negative fallout. I should not care I am from a white background but what if other sections of society are targeted in this way.

Boris is playing a whistle and it is not a nice tune!
  • Options

Boris is laying out his policy platform. This weeks article is about the housing market. Criticises house builders and government policy.

That's a topic Rees-Mogg was talking about in his FT interview too.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

I never said they did.

Don't be taken in by Johnson. It's easy to believe "He didn't mean it" and think he has altruistic motives. But he does mean it and more people than the intended target get sucked into the negative fallout. I should not care I am from a white background but what if other sections of society are targeted in this way.

Well, Taxman, I'm a tad "different" or "browner" than you, and I sympathise with Boris. So too, anecdotally, does my mum. This has nothing to do with race.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

Ishmael_Z said:

How do you know?
  • Options
    Time to say good night

Have a pleasant nights rest everyone
  • Options

RobD said:

In relation to the thread article done by TSE.

Cannot people see right through him? He is just like Gordon Brown in 2007 getting adulation for little political effort and he is just as Clueless as Brown should he get power.

In Western Europe where we have questioned, ridiculed and come to an arrangement with religion, it is unacceptable that you can not cartoon or mock a religion because the guys with AK47's will turn up.
    The letterbox jibe is acceptable IMO, some people might find it funny. What on the other hand is funny about linking something to bank robbers? It is not about humour but has something more sinister in its utilisation. Some things are acceptable and some are not, Ken Livingstone said Hitler was a Zionist. He was forced out in the end due to this comment. Boris Johnson equated wearing a Burka/ Hijab to being a bank robber.

I think Johnson should be punished for this in a harsh way. He wrote it under free will and the DT published it. I might also point out he breached the ministerial code in taking that job on as well. Johnson is just a charlatan, we don't want a puppet mini Trump as PM.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,198

I think it is safe to say he is officially running.

Will he strike at Party conference? Time is running out for the 54 year old.
  • Options

RobD said:

In relation to the thread article done by TSE.

The letterbox jibe is acceptable IMO, some people might find it funny. What on the other hand is funny about linking something to bank robbers? It is not about humour but has something more sinister in its utilisation. Some things are acceptable and some are not, Ken Livingstone said Hitler was a Zionist. He was forced out in the end due to this comment. Boris Johnson equated wearing a Burka/ Hijab to being a bank robber.

I think Johnson should be punished for this in a harsh way. He wrote it under free will and the DT published it. I might also point out he breached the ministerial code in taking that job on as well. Johnson is just a charlatan, we don't want a puppet mini Trump as PM.
    I agree with you halfway so to speak. Boris Johnson was boorish and nasty, I just do not agree that he was inciting hate.
  • Options
    Boris kids are called: Lara Lettice, Milo Arthur, Cassia Peaches and Theodore Apollo

How will this play in Mansfield?
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Ishmael_Z said:

Don't be pedantic about ethnic groups, it shows how valid the argument that he was inciting hatred that you skate on a pin. Indeed,
    I never said they did.

Well, Taxman, I'm a tad "different" or "browner" than you, and I sympathise with Boris. So too, anecdotally, does my mum. This has nothing to do with race.
    It may not be anything to do with race with you but it does to people who are white folk. This is classic Johnson, he appeals to one group whilst he is trying to appeal to another in contradiction to the first group. All I will say is this has echoes of Hispanics voting for Trump in the US and they are left wondering why he does things they do not like. Some might say useful idiots but I am to polite to expand upon that.
  • Options

Boris kids are called: Lara Lettice, Milo Arthur, Cassia Peaches and Theodore Apollo

How will this play in Mansfield?

Also he has Muslim ancestry and his brother is married to a lady from Afghanistan and their children speak Farsi.
    What a tangled world we live in.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1028762801656004609

Pathetic? Or brilliant?

Do I detect the whiff of panic in the Jezza camp?
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Don't be pedantic about ethnic groups, it shows how valid the argument that he was inciting hatred that you skate on a pin. Indeed,
    I never said they did.

It may not be anything to do with race with you but it does to people who are white folk. This is classic Johnson, he appeals to one group whilst he is trying to appeal to another in contradiction to the first group. All I will say is this has echoes of Hispanics voting for Trump in the US and they are left wondering why he does things they do not like. Some might say useful idiots but I am to polite to expand upon that.
    The Hispanics who vote for Trump are there legally and are US citizens. Perhaps that might explain why - after all they did it the legal way.
  • Options
    Boris has dipped to 5.9 on BF.

6.6 last night.

• Options
    Perhaps May could say she's recognised where Boris's true talents lie and make him party chairman.
  • Options

Perhaps May could say she's recognised where Boris's true talents lie and make him party chairman.

I also think the max he should aspire to is DCMS.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,722

True. But it's everything to do with religion.
  • Options

Secretary of State for Scotland would send a strong signal... that "now is the time" for IndyRef2.
  • Options

Chapeau sir! You got us back on topic.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Suspect he would say no. Feels like he strikes this autumn or never. Has he learnt the David Milliband lesson?
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    If you read the whole article it was just a blatant attempt to smear Millibars when clearly the fault over Syria lies firmly at the door of the then prime minister. The affair weakened Cameron badly.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    (replicated)
  • Options

Pathetic? Or brilliant?

I don’t think this is really about Corbyn’s camp panicking about Boris as a potential threat. Corbynistas generally complain about the media (on this, I think Owen Jones has point as well). Boris has also been criticised by many who aren’t Corbynistas this week, so criticism of him isn’t really a Corbynista thing.

If Corbynistas are panicking about anyone, it’s their internal rivals within the Labour Party, that’s where they have the breakdown - when anyone questions Corbyn at all.
  • Options

geoffw said:

Suspect he would say no. Feels like he strikes this autumn or never. Has he learnt the David Milliband lesson?
    Suspect Mr Glenn's comment was tongue-in-cheek.
    But Brandon Lewis himself has a cheek, demanding an apology while disingenuously exculpating himself from the "pairing mistake".
  • Options
    I don’t agree with that at all. Why is it hubris that Ed Miliband believed in himself but not David or Ed Balls, or Burnham? There’s no guarantee that David Miliband would have won against David Cameron, especially since the anecdotes posted about him by various journalists et al on twitter suggests someone with very bad people skills. He was hardly that charismatic, either.

It’s amazing how moderates will blame everyone but themselves for nominating Corbyn.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Consequences would be that Andy Burnham would be leader of the Labour Party and the piles of rubble in Syria would be a few inches higher. Doesn’t sound that much better than what we have got to be honest?
  • Options

Pathetic? Or brilliant?

I don’t think this is really about Corbyn’s camp panicking about Boris as a potential threat. Corbynistas generally complain about the media (on this, I think Owen Jones has point as well). Boris has also been criticised by many who aren’t Corbynistas this week, so criticism of him isn’t really a Corbynista thing.

If Corbynistas are panicking about anyone, it’s their internal rivals within the Labour Party, that’s where they have the breakdown - when anyone questions Corbyn at all.
    They may be dealing with two threats then, Boris and a break-away party.

Stephen Bush writes that it was touch and go with Hodge. If she had been disciplined, then several MPs would have walked.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    valleyboy said:

If you read the whole article it was just a blatant attempt to smear Millibars when clearly the fault over Syria lies firmly at the door of the then prime minister. The affair weakened Cameron badly.

It's incredible that anyone still wishes we were involved in Syria.
  • Options

Secretary of State for Scotland would send a strong signal... that "now is the time" for IndyRef2.
    There will never be indyref2 while May is PM
  • Options

Pathetic? Or brilliant?

Stephen Bush writes that it was touch and go with Hodge. If she had been disciplined, then several MPs would have walked.
    I don’t think they see Boris as that much of threat, and I can’t blame them. Given how many L’s Corbyn has been taking as far as terrible headlines go, the fact that Boris in that Times poll couldn’t improve that much on the Con VI with his name recognition (hypothetical scenario in which he is leader) is unbelievable.

As for a breakaway party, while I get the sense that some Corbynistas want to have their cake and eat it (criticise moderates loads but not want them to leave) others I think are more than happy to purge ‘Blairites’ out of the Party. Bush IIRC had mentioned prior to this week that 12-15 MPs were thinking of walking, I’m not to surprised at that figure. He’s a much more reliable source on this than Hodges.
  • Options

Consequences would be that Andy Burnham would be leader of the Labour Party and the piles of rubble in Syria would be a few inches higher. Doesn’t sound that much better than what we have got to be honest?
    Burnham would have been running a Government in waiting. Not this shower of cult nutjobs who spend most of their time saying close the BBC because it doesn't run 24/7 Jezza fawning operation and it's best interviewer sometimes sits next a Tory at dinner.
  • Options

I don’t agree with that at all. Why is it hubris that Ed Miliband believed in himself but not David or Ed Balls, or Burnham? There’s no guarantee that David Miliband would have won against David Cameron, especially since the anecdotes posted about him by various journalists et al on twitter suggests someone with very bad people skills. He was hardly that charismatic, either.

It’s amazing how moderates will blame everyone but themselves for nominating Corbyn.
    Cameron would have beaten David Miliband, whether May would have beaten Andy Burnham is more debateable
  • Options

Pathetic? Or brilliant?

The interesting thing is the MPs quoted as being possible defectors actively do not want to win the next general election and Corbyn to become PM, they were praying for Corbyn to lose heavily to May in 2017 so centrists could pick up the pieces of a shattered party.

After the electorate refused to do their dirty work for them they are in despair led by a man none of them in their gut truly believe in.
  • Options

Pathetic? Or brilliant?

I don’t think they see Boris as that much of threat, and I can’t blame them. Given how many L’s Corbyn has been taking as far as terrible headlines go, the fact that Boris in that Times poll couldn’t improve that much on the Con VI with his name recognition (hypothetical scenario in which he is leader) is unbelievable.

As for a breakaway party, while I get the sense that some Corbynistas want to have their cake and eat it (criticise moderates loads but not want them to leave) others I think are more than happy to purge ‘Blairites’ out of the Party. Bush IIRC had mentioned prior to this week that 12-15 MPs were thinking of walking, I’m not to surprised at that figure. He’s a much more reliable source on this than Hodges.
    The Tories were 4% ahead of Corbyn Labour under May this week with YouGov, so as long as she gets reasonable polling like that there will be no need to replace May with Boris
This discussion has been closed.