Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn got through GE2017 without his back-story becoming an i

Comments

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

I really like Emily Thornberry, I’d enthusiastically vote Labour if she was leader!

Fingernails going down a blackboard for me. Excruciatingly condescendingly awful. Metropolitania run riot. Just appalling.

Still a vast improvement on Corbyn or his Shadow Chacellor though. I loathe her, but she’s sane.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

I really like Emily Thornberry, I’d enthusiastically vote Labour if she was leader!

I also like her a lot, and my local party (which is mainly dominated by more elderly, longtime members, rather than Momentum'ers) also thinks very highly of her.

However, I'm sceptical whether she'd have as much appeal to the general public as Corbyn.
  • Options
    I'm really at the point of utter despair this evening. All of these people are awful.

I'm not in my cups, but am rapidly reaching the conclusion that the only people I'd feel positive about voting for are deceased (Charlie Kennedy, John Smith or Barbara Castle).
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

There you go... Corbyn's accusers are kid killers.
    https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1029113265866121218

Classic stuff. All Corbyn's accusers are facilitating state terrorism are they? And that's the bar to being LoTo? Must not be a kid killer? Low standards.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

has he officially accused most of PB of being child killers? we should sue
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Thornberry has a bit more gravitas than Long Bailey I will give her that but she is too centrist for Corbynistas, not anti Brexit enough for 'People's Voters' and still too leftwing for Tory swing voters

Swing voters who previoulsy voted Tory might well vote for her, if the alternative is JRM or even Boris. She's not obviously bonkers, cynically careerist, or living in the 18th century, which is a good start.
    No, at least Boris or JRM could be PM even if zany ones.

Long Bailey would be so out of her depth she would need waterwings in the shallow end.

Can you imagine Long Bailey going head to head with Trump, Putin, Macron, Xi, Merkel etc? She makes even Justin Trudeau look heavyweight
    I meant swing voters might be happy with la Thornberry, who comes across quite well.
  • Options

I'm really at the point of utter despair this evening. All of these people are awful.

I'm not in my cups, but am rapidly reaching the conclusion that the only people I'd feel positive about voting for are deceased (Charlie Kennedy, John Smith or Barbara Castle).

There's probably a lot of good MPs, but they're probably the ones too humble to ever try to become PM!
    Danny565 said:

I also like her a lot, and my local party (which is mainly dominated by more elderly, longtime members, rather than Momentum'ers) also thinks very highly of her.

However, I'm sceptical whether she'd have as much appeal to the general public as Corbyn.
    Perhaps not, but she might get lucky in her opponent of course, and factor in more years of government to weigh down the Tories.
  • Options
    Off topic, but in the past few days I have found dealing with the despair that is our modern politics by periodically loading up some Doom - something about a hyper cartoonishly violent FPS in short bursts really lets off some pent up rage.
  • Options

So no Israelis are innocent? He at least passively condones their annihilation.
  • Options
    "I had nothing to do with the wreath-laying ceremony. As everyone knows, I am a keen gardener, and I was merely inspecting the flowers making up the wreath. Honest."

J. Corbyn MP, (explanation number 415)
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Netanyahu might be the one man to save Corbyn. An odious, corrupt Jewish liar condemning a stupid, dangerous British liar: people may just shrug and think "politicians, what can you do".... Plus: ugh Israel.

Anti-Semitism is hideous but the Jewish state, right now, is hardly a thing of beauty.

BUT I think long term this does terminal damage to Corbyn (no idea what it does to Netanyahu). It's bad mainly because he can never escape it: his enemies will always use it, and it will always be crippling if not ever fatal. i.e. He can never win a GE and the Labour Hard Left know that their one big chance of winning a GE is the next one. They've got one shot, and that's it. JC won't deliver.

I suspect Milne and McDonnell will move against JC before 2022.

I agree with the commenter below who says that a 2022 election will probably see all three parties under new leaders.

PS Boris' tea gag went down well. He's playing this adroitly.

A good post from you, it’s been a while. Beats Muslim bashing and white pride anyday.

Who do you think M&M see as Corbyn’s anointed successor? It will be a woman. Long-Bailey to shore up the heartland vote? (She is often cast on here as a blonde barmaid, by those who really need some diversity training)
    I would never vote for him in a million years but at least Corbyn has a bit of gravitas, Long-Bailey would be overpromoted if she was made leader of Salford Council let alone PM of the UK
    She has issues, but Thornberry has gravitas.
    Thornberry has a bit more gravitas than Long Bailey I will give her that but she is too centrist for Corbynistas, not anti Brexit enough for 'People's Voters' and still too leftwing for Tory swing voters
    She has never struck me as in any way leftwing, it’s more that she has been able to remain within the Corbynite tent, and has a very rich leftie constituency and a gigantic majority.
    She is left liberal, see her St George's flag comments
    She made no comment. She merely posted a picture of some bellend who had covered his house in England flags in the middle of November. So what? I wouldn’t like to live next to that and neither, I dare say, would you. And if you do like it, ask your wife/girlfriend whether she would.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

There needs to be one connection, just one, a person, or organisation which has a link with a recent UK terrorist incident and *then* he would be toast.

Maybe the Mail has it. What is their MO on such exposés?

I have been saying this for a while. I don’t think it will be in the Mail, though. And it might well be a link to a European or US terror incident.
    If it's in the US I can see it being as damaging as the current spat with Israel. ie not at all.
    Not if it involves the murder of British citizens. The US authorities have been interested in persons living here and have taken action against some re incidents involving US and British citizens in third countries.
  • Options

Memo to Owen: The charge in this matter isn't that he 'condoned' or 'incited' terrorism, it is that he laid a wreath in memory of murderers of innocent civilians.

That's forgivable in Corbynista morality, is it? This is not a trick question, I just want to get the moral boundaries clear.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Netanyahu might be the one man to save Corbyn. An odious, corrupt Jewish liar condemning a stupid, dangerous British liar: people may just shrug and think "politicians, what can you do".... Plus: ugh Israel.

Anti-Semitism is hideous but the Jewish state, right now, is hardly a thing of beauty.

BUT I think long term this does terminal damage to Corbyn (no idea what it does to Netanyahu). It's bad mainly because he can never escape it: his enemies will always use it, and it will always be crippling if not ever fatal. i.e. He can never win a GE and the Labour Hard Left know that their one big chance of winning a GE is the next one. They've got one shot, and that's it. JC won't deliver.

I agree with the commenter below who says that a 2022 election will probably see all three parties under new leaders.

A good post from you, it’s been a while. Beats Muslim bashing and white pride anyday.

Who do you think M&M see as Corbyn’s anointed successor? It will be a woman. Long-Bailey to shore up the heartland vote? (She is often cast on here as a blonde barmaid, by those who really need some diversity training)
    I would never vote for him in a million years but at least Corbyn has a bit of gravitas, Long-Bailey would be overpromoted if she was made leader of Salford Council let alone PM of the UK
    She has never struck me as in any way leftwing, it’s more that she has been able to remain within the Corbynite tent, and has a very rich leftie constituency and a gigantic majority.
    She made no comment. She merely posted a picture of some bellend who had covered his house in England flags in the middle of November. So what? I wouldn’t like to live next to that and neither, I dare say, would you. And if you do like it, ask your wife/girlfriend whether she would.
    Someone choosing to cover their house in flags doesn't mean they are a bellend. What do you care what someone else chooses to do with their house?

That said I think Ed M overreacted to the storm when he sacked her over it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Swing voters who previoulsy voted Tory might well vote for her, if the alternative is JRM or even Boris. She's not obviously bonkers, cynically careerist, or living in the 18th century, which is a good start.
    No, at least Boris or JRM could be PM even if zany ones.

Long Bailey would be so out of her depth she would need waterwings in the shallow end.

Can you imagine Long Bailey going head to head with Trump, Putin, Macron, Xi, Merkel etc? She makes even Justin Trudeau look heavyweight
    I meant swing voters might be happy with la Thornberry, who comes across quite well.
    Labour members are going to stick with Corbyn who is not going anywhere soon.

I doubt Thornberry really does much to shift the Leave Remain divide either, I expect Labour would be polling much the same under her as they are now
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

She didn't need to make a comment. Posting the picture was enough - and it cost her a job in the Shadow Cabinet.

She would never have returned to the SC under any leader other than Corbyn.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

I live in Essex, there are no shortage of England flags round here
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Meanwhile, Brexit tick tock .
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,300
    edited August 2018
    Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Surely he has as much right to cover his house in England flags as a certain subset of Muslim women have the right to cover themselves in the burqa?
  • Options
    May's people currently wise enough not to comment on this on her twitter yet I see.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

I think you miss the point.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Someone choosing to cover their house in flags doesn't mean they are a bellend. What do you care what someone else chooses to do with their house?

I think it’s a fair indicator of bellendry. If any of my neighbours did that, I think them completely inconsiderate. Wouldn’t you?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

Memo to Owen: The charge in this matter isn't that he 'condoned' or 'incited' terrorism, it is that he laid a wreath in memory of murderers of innocent civilians.

That's forgivable in Corbynista morality, is it? This is not a trick question, I just want to get the moral boundaries clear.
    At least Corbyn didn't supply the weapons!
    https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1029123111252369408
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I doubt Thornberry really does much to shift the Leave Remain divide either, I expect Labour would be polling much the same under her as they are now

I agree on the first point.

Not sure on the second. It's true that the nutjob Corbynistas would be less enthusiastic, precisely because she seems fairly sane, but an awful lot of middle-ground voters, repelled by the Tory lurch into la-la land, might be up for a vaguely credible alternative.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

I think it’s a fair indicator of bellendry. If any of my neighbours did that, I think them completely inconsiderate. Wouldn’t you?
    In what way is flying your national flag inconsiderate?

Demonstrating a sense of national pride is surely not something to condemn.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Er no. The ones who missed the point of the hypocrites who traduced her for posting the image.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Why was she sacked then?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

No I wouldn't consider it inconsiderate. I wouldn't do it with mine (just the one will do), but they can do with their property what they like and I would be a bellend to act as though I have some right to judge their character because they like to festoon their house with flags. They're not blasting vuvuzelas 24/7, what harm does putting flags up do anyone?
  • Options

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Surely he has as much right to cover his house in England flags as a certain subset of Muslim women have the right to cover themselves in the burqa?
    Well neither practices are illegal and nor should they be, but both practices can be oppressive, and it’s reasonable not to like them.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Well neither practices are illegal and nor should they be, but both practices can be oppressive, and it’s reasonable not to like them.
    Not liking it is not the same as suggesting anyone who does it is a bellend being inconsiderate of others.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Why was she sacked then?
    I have no idea. A poor decision by Miliband.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Scott_P said:
    'The splendid wreath' - perhaps my favourite ever Swedish novel!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Anazina said:

No I wouldn't consider it inconsiderate. I wouldn't do it with mine (just the one will do), but they can do with their property what they like and I would be a bellend to act as though I have some right to judge their character because they like to festoon their house with flags. They're not blasting vuvuzelas 24/7, what harm does putting flags up do anyone?
    Fair enough, I think you are rather unusual - what does your wife think?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

welshowl said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Er no. The ones who missed the point of the hypocrites who traduced her for posting the image.
    Ok. You continue to think that.

• Options
    Anazina said:

It's oppressive to put up a St George's cross, the flag of England? Are you completely mad?
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Scott_P said:
    Well don't keep us in suspense now the central hook has been spoiled for us - how was the wreath used to kill?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I agree on the first point.

Not sure on the second. It's true that the nutjob Corbynistas would be less enthusiastic, precisely because she seems fairly sane, but an awful lot of middle-ground voters, repelled by the Tory lurch into la-la land, might be up for a vaguely credible alternative.
    Against Boris maybe, not against May. Plus Boris could win over working class Leavers from Labour against Thornberry to cancel out middle class Remainers he lost to a Thornberry led Labour
  • Options

Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

There is national pride and there is rank tastelessness. During a football tournament, fair enough. But outside one? It’s naff.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    kle4 said:

brendan16 said:

Scott_P said:
    Well don't keep us in suspense now the central hook has been spoiled for us - how was the wreath used to kill?
    Crushing. It was the size of a house.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Anazina said:

Not currently applicable, but it will clearly be an important question for me to ask any future potential paramour. I wouldn't want to be 10 years in to a relationship and discover a divergence of views on flag festoonation.

Anazina said:

It's oppressive to put up a St George's cross, the flag of England? Are you completely mad?
    I presume it was meant in the sense of being visually oppressive, or overbearing.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Anazina said:

Unspoofable isn’t it.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Why was she sacked then?
    Allegedly he'd never been so angry when he made it. Why do you think he was so angry?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Scott_P said:
    Hang on, their defence is that it didn't cost £300?

I know you could get a steal to Tunisia in 2014, but really?
    Maybe he cycled.
  • Options

Anazina said:

All those burger vans on A roads are in trouble then aren’t they?

Incredible isn’t it?
  • Options

Anazina said:

No. I didn’t say that. This guy covered his house in THREE giant flags. I’d find it aggravating and hard to bear if I lived next door.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Anazina said:

Not currently applicable, but it will clearly be an important question for me to ask any future potential paramour. I wouldn't want to be 10 years in to a relationship and discover a divergence of views on flag festoonation.

Anazina said:

I presume it was meant in the sense of being visually oppressive, or overbearing.
    Yes, I assumed Richard N was being deliberately obtuse and rude.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

No. I didn’t say that. This guy covered his house in THREE giant flags. I’d find it aggravating and hard to bear if I lived next door.
    Why? You wouldn't be able to see them from inside your house.
  • Options
    Thornberry sent this tweet two years before the one that got her in trouble.
    https://twitter.com/EmilyThornberry/status/269113381968048129
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina: "Well neither practices are illegal and nor should they be, but both practices can be oppressive.."

Richard N: "It's oppressive to put up a St George's cross, the flag of England? "

Anazina: "No. I didn’t say that."

Anyway, time for bed. We'll have to leave it to another day to discover whether it would be oppressive for an American to put up a Stars and Stripes, or for Lord Adonis to festoon his house with EU flags.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Anazina said:

Incredible isn’t it?
    It’s like arguing with children on here. I think it’s fair to say that lots of neighbours would dislike a house being covered in three giant England flags. You, Richard N and ‘Mortimer’ want to encourage your next door neighbour to do it, fine. Go for it. Send us the pictures.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

And how are they harming you? Do they make a loud noise? Do they glow at night making it hard to sleep?

I grant you it would be weird next door to me to have an England flag ( but not a problem)- but I live in Cardiff. That said, plenty of Dragons fluttering from masts across all kinds of buildings in the city. The castle. City hall. The museum. some in people’s gardens. Are they oppressing non Welsh folk?

Clearly you are struggling to see why Ms Thornberry’s tweet was so bad and why Ed ( rightly) saw the potential damage.

Still enough. To bed for me.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Why was she sacked then?
    Allegedly he'd never been so angry when he made it. Why do you think he was so angry?
    Probably because it gave the right wing press an easy story? Who cares?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Thornberrot anti Brexit enough for 'People's Voters' and still too leftwing for Tory swing voters

There is national pride and there is rank tastelessness. During a football tournament, fair enough. But outside one? It’s naff.
    Some people find burqas to be "naff".
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

She certainly has a lot of gravity.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina: "Well neither practices are illegal and nor should they be, but both practices can be oppressive.."

Richard N: "It's oppressive to put up a St George's cross, the flag of England? "

Anyway, time for bed. We'll have to leave it to another day to discover whether it would be oppressive for an American to put up a Stars and Stripes, or for Lord Adonis to festoon his house with EU flags.
    P
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Yes, if you can’t see the difference between three giant England flags covering the house and occasionally putting up one England flag, then it is indeed time for you to get some sleep.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Anazina said:

welshowl said:

Anazina said:

Incredible isn’t it?
    It’s like arguing with children on here. I think it’s fair to say that lots of neighbours would dislike a house being covered in three giant England flags. You, Richard N and ‘Mortimer’ want to encourage your next door neighbour to do it, fine. Go for it. Send us the pictures.
    I’m honoured to have the chief patronising badge and inverted commas.
  • Options
    BannedOnTheRunBannedOnTheRun Posts: 58
    edited August 2018
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Why was she sacked then?
    Probably because she was too stupid to realise it gave the right wing press an easy story? Who cares?
    Fixed.
  • Options

Thornberry sent this tweet two years before the one that got her in trouble.
    https://twitter.com/EmilyThornberry/status/269113381968048129

That house is arguably even worse - if only for the weird peekaboo face in the top window!!
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

I am not housebound.

Nor am I particularly weird for caring how my neighbours decorate their houses - it’s fairly normal.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited August 2018
    Danny565 said:

Cyclefree said:

Danny565 said:

I see the Tory commentariat are bungling their attacks on Corbyn once again, by accusing him of being deliberately evil and malicious (a charge which seems patently ridiculous even to most members of the public who wouldn't vote for him), rather than accusing him of well-meaning but incredible, and perhaps dangerous, naivete, and too willing to see good in people even when they're obviously unpleasant (a charge which even I, as a paid-up Labour member, think there's some truth to).

What good would even the most naive well-meaning person see in people who took innocent men hostage, castrated one, tortured others and then killed them all?
    I can't be bothered arguing the substance of the issue - I am just saying as far as public perceptions go, the idea of cuddly-but-hapless Corbyn being a cartoon villain who celebrates people dying and masterminds evil plots seems laughably implausible. As the Tories found out last year
    This certainly got some traction a few months ago. YouTube - It's never awkward being Jeremy Corbyn - Tracey Breaks the News - BBC https
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

I am not housebound.

Nor am I particularly weird for caring how my neighbours decorate their houses - it’s fairly normal.
    Temporary flags bother you? I could understand a swastika being offensive, but a george cross?
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821

They arm the criminal Saudi regime, which was responsible for a massacre of children in Yemen only last week.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

I am not housebound.

Temporary flags bother you? I could understand a swastika being offensive, but a george cross?
    Godwinned. And goodnight.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

I am not housebound.

Also, this was in the same week that england played scotland at football.

Do you you and Colonel Thornberry object to england flags during the football?
  • Options
    daodao said:

They arm the criminal Saudi regime, which was responsible for a massacre of children in Yemen only last week.
    Maybe Owen was thinking of the Ariana Grande concert?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

I am not housebound.

Godwinned. And goodnight.
    Don't be always quite so stupid, please.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,773

kle4 said:

I know I am pessimistic on these things, but that it didn't resonate 14 months ago doesn't fill me with confidence about now. I mean, the Boris stuff knocked it off the papers for a bit, what chance it sticks around once september kicks off, particularly if he concedes on other things.

Could be a black September for him
    I see what you did there...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Swing voters who previously voted Tory might well vote for her, if the alternative is JRM or even Boris. She's not obviously bonkers, cynically careerist, or living in the 18th century, which is a good start.
    I would disagree about Emily Thornberry not being cynically careerist, you just have to watch some of her recent performances on BBC QuestionTime and the audiences broad reaction to her to see she fits that label.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

I know I am pessimistic on these things, but that it didn't resonate 14 months ago doesn't fill me with confidence about now. I mean, the Boris stuff knocked it off the papers for a bit, what chance it sticks around once september kicks off, particularly if he concedes on other things.

And I posted that just before I saw the retaliatory tweet of his to Netenyahu. He seems to be painting it black
  • Options

Anazina said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Thornberry is by far the best candidate, hence why I am sceptical that she will be chosen!
    Her property empire will do her considerable damage
    Champagne Socialist immediately springs to mind... Speaking of the family's property empire, didn't she have a run in with Guido Fawkes a few years ago about one particular property?
  • Options

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

And I posted that just before I saw the retaliatory tweet of his to Netenyahu. He seems to be painting it black
    Wasn't Black September the massacre of Palestinians by King Hussein of Jordan?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_September

• Options

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Wasn't Black September the massacre of Palestinians by King Hussein of Jordan?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_September

Which led to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_September_Organization
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

I see the Tory commentariat are bungling their attacks on Corbyn once again, by accusing him of being deliberately evil and malicious (a charge which seems patently ridiculous even to most members of the public who wouldn't vote for him), rather than accusing him of well-meaning but incredible, and perhaps dangerous, naivete, and too willing to see good in people even when they're obviously unpleasant (a charge which even I, as a paid-up Labour member, think there's some truth to).

For a man who is not evil and malicious, he seems remarkably keen to associate with evil and malicious men.
    A bit like Thatcher and Pinochet.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    Am in despair. And Thornberry is not the answer.
  • Options

I wonder how long before polling companies are investigating how people might vote with a different Labour leader.

Surely someone has some money to pay for such things.

And yes, I know these things are not terribly reliable - but it would be interesting to test out various candidates.

The Labour party are now facing the same problem that we faced in the Conservative party during the Blair years, asking Conservative inclined voters or swing voters will give you one answer, but asking the current grassroots members might well give you a very different answer. Its worth remembering that the first sign that the Conservatives might finally move out of the core vote box they had languished in during the Blair years was during the 2005 Leadership contest when they seemed to finally start taking notice and gave a tentative heads up to Cameron as his campaign gained traction during the contest.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    welshowl said:

Fingernails going down a blackboard for me. Excruciatingly condescendingly awful. Metropolitania run riot. Just appalling.

Still a vast improvement on Corbyn or his Shadow Chacellor though. I loathe her, but she’s sane.
    Seconded, not sure that she would mop up the female vote in a GE campaign either.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

I wonder how long before polling companies are investigating how people might vote with a different Labour leader.

Surely someone has some money to pay for such things.

And yes, I know these things are not terribly reliable - but it would be interesting to test out various candidates.

The Labour party are now facing the same problem that we faced in the Conservative party during the Blair years, asking Conservative inclined voters or swing voters will give you one answer, but asking the current grassroots members might well give you a very different answer. Its worth remembering that the first sign that the Conservatives might finally move out of the core vote box they had languished in during the Blair years was during the 2005 Leadership contest when they seemed to finally start taking notice and gave a tentative heads up to Cameron as his campaign gained traction during the contest.
    I agree it is not an easy survey to design but it would be possible to test names against a membership panel, a Labour voting panel and a general voting panel.

I suspect we will get some polling on this before much longer.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    BMG poll in Independent has Con 37% Lab 39%.
  • Options
    What you going to do, John? What happens to people who cross your line in the sand?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

For a man who is not evil and malicious, he seems remarkably keen to associate with evil and malicious men.
    A bit like Thatcher and Pinochet.
    So a good reason not to vote for him then. If he's a bit like Thatcher.....?
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Danny565 said:

Cyclefree said:

Danny565 said:

What good would even the most naive well-meaning person see in people who took innocent men hostage, castrated one, tortured others and then killed them all?
    I can't be bothered arguing the substance of the issue - I am just saying as far as public perceptions go, the idea of cuddly-but-hapless Corbyn being a cartoon villain who celebrates people dying and masterminds evil plots seems laughably implausible. As the Tories found out last year
    This certainly got some traction a few months ago. YouTube - It's never awkward being Jeremy Corbyn - Tracey Breaks the News - BBC https
    Oops, sorry link did not work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYcPGsscVmI
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    Mr Grieg happy to keep running 'not Brexit' stories:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1029120997637677058
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Mr Grieg happy to keep running 'not Brexit' stories:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1029120997637677058

And that late night intervention from John McDonnell on twitter has just thrown more petrol on the fire and upped the ante for both Jeremy Corbyn and Netanyahu, just as it has the position of moderate Labour MPs stuck in the middle of the current Labour anti-Semitic scandal as it moves from a domestic issue onto the global stage ...

For all those that think that Corbyn is safe this year... Just remember that like the largish group of moderate pragmatic Conservative Westminster MPs backing May's Chequers deal instead of No deal despite the risks to their own individual seats. There is also a similar group of Labour MPs sitting outside the Corbyn Shadow Cabinet wondering how best to save the Labour party whilst surviving as individual constituency MP's.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

BMG poll in Independent has Con 37% Lab 39%.

Got a link to that please? Couldn't find it.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    The latest line of defence appears to be that he is not as bad as Netanyahu!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

But would you sneer at them publicly?

And then expect millions like them to vote for you?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Aggravating I get

Hard to bear, really? I mean l, really?

Try going in the back door or closing your eyes as you walk up the garden path.

People really have forgotten how to live in a community.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

HYUFD said:

Swing voters who previously voted Tory might well vote for her, if the alternative is JRM or even Boris. She's not obviously bonkers, cynically careerist, or living in the 18th century, which is a good start.
    I would disagree about Emily Thornberry not being cynically careerist, you just have to watch some of her recent performances on BBC QuestionTime and the audiences broad reaction to her to see she fits that label.
    The key qualifier in @Richard_Nabavi post is “obviously... cynically careerist”

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Charles said:

Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Are there millions like them? What a depressing thought
  • Options
    felix said:

I doubt they're claiming that's a high bar!

But thoughtful of Bibi to keep it in the news.....
  • Options
    Roger said:

Charles said:

Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

Are there millions like them? What a depressing thought
    Probably hundreds of thousands.

But the probability of you encountering any is pretty small, so don’t worry too much
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Corbyn makes me feel sick in the pit of my stomach. That feeling has got worse over time, such that I loathe him even more than I loathed Brown, and that's saying something. Even Labour voters think this IMHO/.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

felix said:

I doubt they're claiming that's a high bar!

But thoughtful of Bibi to keep it in the news.....
    I hope all the Conservatives who kept Boris in the news all last week realise that this Corbyn story could have been three straight weeks of front pages by now.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Corbyn antisemitisim crisis, day 1,432....
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Kieran Pedley:

Show me the photo of Corbyn at a wreath laying ceremony for those dead Israeli athletes and I’ll believe he is really about ‘peace fairness and justice’. In reality, he has his side and that’s who he supports. Merely stating he’s a saint doesn’t make it so.

Why doesn't he just go and join the Tories :)
This discussion has been closed.