Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Comedy Central’s answer to the Vote Leave Brexit bus

1235»

Comments

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    Scott_P said:
    Forgive me for being dim but what difference are these 10,000 entryists going to make? I thought it was already accepted that the current Tory part membership would vote for Boris or JRM (should either make the final two) over any remainer anyway.

In any event, Theresa the limpet is going nowhere this side of the GE.
  • I know you'll all be shocked to know that Chris Grayling shows another sector he is as useful as a marzipan dildo

Road haulage firms have accused Chris Grayling, the transport secretary, of failing to put in place any credible contingency plans for a 'no-deal' Brexit scenario, as well as "knowing nothing" about their industry.

Speaking to the Telegraph, industry leaders said they were left astonished in recent meetings with Mr Grayling where he appeared to be unaware that British lorry drivers would not be able to carry goods on the continent if the UK crashes out of the bloc.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/08/15/chris-grayling-has-no-credible-plan-no-deal-brexit-road-hauliers/

Grayling is inept and should have been booted out of cabinet ages ago
    Grayling is the epitome of the donkey with the blue rosette!
    That is unkind to a donkey - he is much worse than that
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,722

I know you'll all be shocked to know that Chris Grayling shows another sector he is as useful as a marzipan dildo

Road haulage firms have accused Chris Grayling, the transport secretary, of failing to put in place any credible contingency plans for a 'no-deal' Brexit scenario, as well as "knowing nothing" about their industry.

Speaking to the Telegraph, industry leaders said they were left astonished in recent meetings with Mr Grayling where he appeared to be unaware that British lorry drivers would not be able to carry goods on the continent if the UK crashes out of the bloc.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/08/15/chris-grayling-has-no-credible-plan-no-deal-brexit-road-hauliers/

The donkey doesn't normally get given a job in the cabinet though.
    He was quite aggressive against David Blunkett. As a consequence pomoted well above his abilities.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2018

How many British Pakistani child rape gangs are there? I've lost count, and have a horrible feeling we're only scratching the surface so far.

Is there a number where someone will admit it's a British Pakistani problem rather than a child rape problem?

I don't think the powers that be want to address or discuss it - it's too difficult and just causes upset and undermines community relations. Where did raising it get Sarah Champion or Ann Cryer or the social workers at Rotherham council - if you get too upfront about it you might even get a 13 month jail sentence before you can open up your you tube page.

Poor young girls from up north don't really matter as much as the me too middle class women of London it seems.
  • Scott_P said:
    Forgive me for being dim but what difference are these 10,000 entryists going to make? I thought it was already accepted that the current Tory part membership would vote for Boris or JRM (should either make the final two) over any remainer anyway.

In any event, Theresa the limpet is going nowhere this side of the GE.
    Exactly - but maybe TM will not be in place long post Brexit but the agenda will hopefully have moved on by then
  • Counter-extremism campaigner Maajid Nawaz told the Telegraph the Muslim Brotherhood was to Muslims 'what the BNP are to the English – bigoted, identitarian and dangerous'.

But a spokesman for Mr Corbyn said he had been 'standing up for democracy' when he used the Rabbi'ah symbol.

Jezzas excuses are getting more laughable....he is like a kid that is the only person in a house when it was trashed blames it on the cupboard monsters.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Counter-extremism campaigner Maajid Nawaz told the Telegraph the Muslim Brotherhood was to Muslims 'what the BNP are to the English – bigoted, identitarian and dangerous'.

But a spokesman for Mr Corbyn said he had been 'standing up for democracy' when he used the Rabbi'ah symbol.

Jezzas excuses are getting more laughable....he is like a kid that is the only person in a house when it was trashed blames it on the cupboard monsters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-45200674

He really does have cupboard monsters. Let's not forget Corbyn's one good point - he isn't Gordon Brown. (Admittedly Brown's only good point is not being Corbyn, and aside from that neither of them have claim to the lowest rung of any ladder of achievement or merit)
  • Omnium said:

Counter-extremism campaigner Maajid Nawaz told the Telegraph the Muslim Brotherhood was to Muslims 'what the BNP are to the English – bigoted, identitarian and dangerous'.

He really does have cupboard monsters. Let's not forget Corbyn's one good point - he isn't Gordon Brown. (Admittedly Brown's only good point is not being Corbyn, and aside from that neither of them have claim to the lowest rung of any ladder of achievement or merit)
    Brown kept us out of the Euro by setting criteria which would never be met - which fooled Blair.
  • A really soggy Independence Day in southern India:

https://news.sky.com/story/worst-floods-in-a-century-kill-67-in-indias-kerala-state-11473567

Strange that there's no mention of this on the BBC's "World" webpage.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Omnium said:

Brown kept us out of the Euro by setting criteria which would never be met - which fooled Blair.
    And Brown was lucky in having Hague and IDS as his leading opponents, rather than Ken Clarke who’d have happily voted to join the Euro.

Omnium said:

I don't imagine we'd have ever adopted the Euro anyway. Brown kept us out for entirely personal reasons anyway - being Chancellor would be much less important as a role had we joined the Euro.
  • Omnium said:

At least Brown was PM for a couple of years :)
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

I'll have you know that the working classes have been oppressed by the cupboard monsters constantly under Tory governments (including the NewLabour Tory governments), and thank goodness St Jeremy is here to call them out.
  • I know you'll all be shocked to know that Chris Grayling shows another sector he is as useful as a marzipan dildo

The donkey doesn't normally get given a job in the cabinet though.
    Chris Bray-ling?

A really soggy Independence Day in southern India:

https://news.sky.com/story/worst-floods-in-a-century-kill-67-in-indias-kerala-state-11473567

I heard a story that an airport had been closed, but not much more.

Happy Independence Day to India.
  • Sandpit said:

Cochin Airport, one of India's busiest - and, I have to say, smartest. I flew via Cochin back in November/December.

These floods are really unprecedented. As far as I'm aware all my relatives living across the state are OK.
    Do you think he'd win against Boris? (I don't think head to head polling is particularly compelling in such cases, as I'd think each candidate would get a chance to reinvent their image for the contest as even most members won't have paid too close attention)

Omnium said:

At least Brown was PM for a couple of years :)
    He was indeed. To be honest I just have a personal dislike of Brown. He can't win in terms of my opinion. If I was being fair and objective I think I'd dislike him anyway, but not quite as strongly as I do.

Vice versa I rather liked Tony Benn, despite disagreeing with almost every word he ever said. I thought he was a real danger should his views ever become currency.
  • kle4 said:

Do you think he'd win against Boris? (I don't think head to head polling is particularly compelling in such cases, as I'd think each candidate would get a chance to reinvent their image for the contest as even most members won't have paid too close attention)
    To be honest I do not know but he would be an excellent choice
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Anyone going to Trent Bridge at the weekend?
  • AndyJS said:

Anyone going to Trent Bridge at the weekend?

Ben Stokes !!!

Sandpit said:

Cochin Airport, one of India's busiest - and, I have to say, smartest. I flew via Cochin back in November/December.

These floods are really unprecedented. As far as I'm aware all my relatives living across the state are OK.
    Good to hear everyone is okay, as you say often big disasters in certain parts of the world are barely reported in others.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,972
    edited August 2018
    Changes since April

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/1029834027363168256

Our latest voting poll puts Labour two points ahead of the Conservatives. Labour have 40 per cent of the Great Britain vote, up two from our previous poll. The Tories are on 38, down five.

The interviews were conducted from Thursday to Monday. As the fieldwork was frontloaded, most of it took place before the Corbyn wreath controversy became a major story (and all of it pre-dated the Westminster incident).

The changes represent a 3.5 per cent swing from the Conservatives to Labour since late March and early April, which coincided with the height of the antisemitism row.

https://www.ncpolitics.uk/2018/08/poll-alert-labour-edges-ahead.html/

I'm only a trainspotter and not very experienced in these matters but surely there must be some folks out there with an almond fetish? :open_mouth:

kle4 said:

To be honest I do not know but he would be an excellent choice
    Unfortunately being PM is probably one of those jobs it is impossible to tell for sure if someone will be good at it before they actually have a go (though it is probably easier to see if someone would be terrible). I don't know about Javid's campaigning skills or public charisma, and how well they'd do in the leading role, but he's moved himself to the front of the 'Not Boris' pack since becoming Home Secretary it seems.
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

I know you'll all be shocked to know that Chris Grayling shows another sector he is as useful as a marzipan dildo

A couple of vertically challenged planks beat Chris Grayling in an IQ test this week.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    eek said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

I've had a bit of think for a while in light of the investigation into Boris. I'm going to stay a member of the party and still actively campaign. I have cancelled my monthly standing order and I'm now down to just the £25 per year. This Conservative party no longer represents anything I'm in favour of.

Lewis received 100+ complaints. Do you think they should have been ignored? Doesn't working in financial services encourage the view that all complaints should be investigated?
    Did the investigation need to be announced? Just because you are investigating something doesn't mean you need to pour oil unto the fire by announcing it...
    Except that if it hadn’t then the media would have kept asking and it would have given “what about” ammo to the Cult
  • Changes since April

Our latest voting poll puts Labour two points ahead of the Conservatives. Labour have 40 per cent of the Great Britain vote, up two from our previous poll. The Tories are on 38, down five.

The interviews were conducted from Thursday to Monday. As the fieldwork was frontloaded, most of it took place before the Corbyn wreath controversy became a major story (and all of it pre-dated the Westminster incident).

The changes represent a 3.5 per cent swing from the Conservatives to Labour since late March and early April, which coincided with the height of the antisemitism row.

Broken sleazy Labour on the slide!

EDIT: Oh, dear, ooops!

Changes since April

And before anyone crows about that, I think plenty of people assumed said row would not impact the polling, particularly while the Tories engage in their intermittently hot Brexit war. Whether it hurts Labour in the polls is, like Boris' comments, secondary as to whether it is a serious issue worthy of criticism.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Anazina said:

A couple of vertically challenged planks beat Chris Grayling in an IQ test this week.

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1029823055885938688

I'm only a trainspotter
    You've been keeping that pretty quiet.
  • kle4 said:

I'm only a trainspotter
    You've been keeping that pretty quiet.
    Um, I worried it might be an addiction - used up some annual leave to do the Blaenau Ffestiniog line yesterday (Conwy Valley). Didn't do the steam railway, but luckily saw the little train pull into the station before my main line train headed back northbound. However, I felt I had to postpone Pwllheli because of today's weather.
    Anazina said:

That's an odd phrase - if it's 'as thick as' why does it need short planks? One imagines that long planks are equally as thick.

If though the matter is about length then even a short plank is pretty 'deep', and of course there's no merit in having two, unless you lay them end-to end.

• You mean you didn't like my Chris Bray-ling donkey pun???

*goes off and sulks*
    kyf_100 said:

Good afternoon, everyone.

I suspect this won't make a difference. Without watching the video, one suspects arch-Remainers will titter at the mockery of the heretics, arch-Leavers will think it's just ContinuityFear, and most people in between will never see it.

Mr. Root, the Newcastle rape gang sent down a while back got sod all coverage compared to the Westminster village journalists wetting themselves over the shock of Julia Hartley-Brewer's knee being touched 20 years ago.

And they wonder why trust in the media is declining.

On topic, I very much agree with Mr Dancer's assessment of this video.

I wouldn't worry about it "catching on" - it speaks only to the converted. It's an attempt to stretch out a ten second gag into a two minute short and it lacks the punch of, say, Cassetteboy's Cameron rap, which again only speaks to the converted but is genuinely funny.

The Momentum videos of the 2017 election campaign remain the gold standard for me. The one with the nurse and the banker really hit home, while I've done well out of the last few years it really made me stop and think about all the people who haven't. Good ads have empathy, and this had it in spades.

https://www.facebook.com/PeoplesMomentum/videos/457075104637882/

Their one with the definitely-not-Branson talking about the railways was brilliant too, and hard to argue against.

https://www.facebook.com/PeoplesMomentum/videos/458423314503061/

Those are videos to worry about, because they give staunch Tories like me pause for thought.
    I hadn't seen those (not watched Titanic) – very well done. One thing Labour will miss if the Corbynites are ever ousted from power this the millennial digital talent of Momentum. It's a powerful weapon.
    I think the nation would breathe a sigh of relief if Javid became PM. Whatever one's politics he is sane, sensible and clearly a decent man.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    kle4 said:

Changes since April

And before anyone crows about that, I think plenty of people assumed said row would not impact the polling, particularly while the Tories engage in their intermittently hot Brexit war. Whether it hurts Labour in the polls is, like Boris' comments, secondary as to whether it is a serious issue worthy of criticism.
    My inkling is that the public are, sensibly, tuning out the hysterical rubbish over both Corbyn's "terrorist-sympathising" and Boris's "Islamophobia" (I mean, on the latter, I think he's a grade-A arsehole, but a juvenile joke hardly constitutes "hate speech").

I would guess that there's more chance that the increase in train fares have had / will have an impact on the polls than either of those two episodes.
    kyf_100 said:

I suspect this won't make a difference. Without watching the video, one suspects arch-Remainers will titter at the mockery of the heretics, arch-Leavers will think it's just ContinuityFear, and most people in between will never see it.

Mr. Root, the Newcastle rape gang sent down a while back got sod all coverage compared to the Westminster village journalists wetting themselves over the shock of Julia Hartley-Brewer's knee being touched 20 years ago.

I wouldn't worry about it "catching on" - it speaks only to the converted. It's an attempt to stretch out a ten second gag into a two minute short and it lacks the punch of, say, Cassetteboy's Cameron rap, which again only speaks to the converted but is genuinely funny.

The Momentum videos of the 2017 election campaign remain the gold standard for me. The one with the nurse and the banker really hit home, while I've done well out of the last few years it really made me stop and think about all the people who haven't. Good ads have empathy, and this had it in spades.

Their one with the definitely-not-Branson talking about the railways was brilliant too, and hard to argue against.

Those are videos to worry about, because they give staunch Tories like me pause for thought.
    Agreed. Now of course it’s entirely made up - in 20 years I’ve never come across a banker like the one in their film. But it’s excellent advertising
  • Anazina said:

I think the nation would breathe a sigh of relief if Javid became PM. Whatever one's politics he is sane, sensible and clearly a decent man.
    I have no doubt he would be very popular and maybe could axe many of the cabinet including Grayling and bring in new blood
  • Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Changes since April

My inkling is that the public are, sensibly, tuning out the hysterical rubbish over both Corbyn's "terrorist-sympathising" and Boris's "Islamophobia" (I mean, on the latter, I think he's a grade-A arsehole, but a juvenile joke hardly constitutes "hate speech").

I would guess that there's more chance that the increase in train fares have had / will have an impact on the polls than either of those two episodes.
    That does seem rather optimistic and polls in the summer holidays are not known for reliability though Graylings cack handed approach to transport may need the COE in the Autumn budget to take action on this years rise
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Charles said:

kyf_100 said:

Agreed. Now of course it’s entirely made up - in 20 years I’ve never come across a banker like the one in their film. But it’s excellent advertising
    Exactly. Who would brag about flying first class instead of business as if he's never turned left before?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043

Anazina said:

I have no doubt he would be very popular and maybe could axe many of the cabinet including Grayling and bring in new blood
    Can he beat Jezza though? Maybe Boris is the only one who could out campaign JC?
  • Anazina said:

Can he beat Jezza though? Maybe Boris is the only one who could out campaign JC?
    They can both beat Corbyn if he doesn't actually beat himself
    Scott_P said:

Anazina said:

Yes, having this quarterwit in charge of a department so vulnerable to Brexit as transport might not be the wisest idea.
    Scott_P said:
    It just keeps coming. As many of us on here warned, way back when JC first ran, with the immortal words to John McD - 'make sure I don't win'.

Scott_P said:
    It just keeps coming. As many of us on here warned, way back when JC first ran, with the immortal words to John McD - 'make sure I don't win'.
    It keeps coming and he keeps on keeping on, as it were.
  • Anazina said:

Scott_P said:

Anazina said:

Yes, having this quarterwit in charge of a department so vulnerable to Brexit as transport might not be the wisest idea.
    He is utterly clueless

Charles said:

kyf_100 said:

Exactly. Who would brag about flying first class instead of business as if he's never turned left before?
    Very few bankers fly first class. They either go premium economy / business or in their own plane
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    And I wonder who released that little nugget? And why?

The pieces are moving on the chess board.
  • Omnium said:

Anazina said:

That's an odd phrase - if it's 'as thick as' why does it need short planks? One imagines that long planks are equally as thick.

If though the matter is about length then even a short plank is pretty 'deep', and of course there's no merit in having two, unless you lay them end-to end.

Most sayings don't make any sense when you think them through. Like what's the point of having a cake if you don't intend to eat it.

A lot of that is because either the sayings or the language have evolved separately thus divorcing the literal phrase from what we understand it. Eg for cakes the original expression was that "you can't eat your cake and (still) have it" ... that actually makes sense unlike the modern expression. Not sure the etymology of the 2 short planks expression.
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    It keeps coming and he keeps on keeping on, as it were.
    Indeed. He is becoming the Teflon Trot.

Nothing seems to matter.
  • NEW THREAD

• Good! Our intelligence agencies should be getting put to good use. If they want to continue to get out intelligence too then they need to make a deal.

Omnium said:

Anazina said:

Most sayings don't make any sense when you think them through. Like what's the point of having a cake if you don't intend to eat it.

A lot of that is because either the sayings or the language have evolved separately thus divorcing the literal phrase from what we understand it. Eg for cakes the original expression was that "you can't eat your cake and (still) have it" ... that actually makes sense unlike the modern expression. Not sure the etymology of the 2 short planks expression.
    It is curious how an expression could change from making sense to not making sense, not even from some evolution of culture or language which makes it no longer understandable, but just because the word order has been mixed up over time. Says something about the limitations of logical development of anything relating to humanity perhaps!

And I wonder who released that little nugget? And why?

The pieces are moving on the chess board.
    It's tricky - anyone who wants the job needs to be making an impression now since while we don't know when a contest will come, there is a chance it is very soon, but so long as they are not rebelling they cannot be too obvious.

I wonder what the direction was for his pose in that photo, it's not bad or anything but I'm unsure what he's going for.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    Omnium said:

He was indeed. To be honest I just have a personal dislike of Brown. He can't win in terms of my opinion. If I was being fair and objective I think I'd dislike him anyway, but not quite as strongly as I do.

Vice versa I rather liked Tony Benn, despite disagreeing with almost every word he ever said. I thought he was a real danger should his views ever become currency.

FWIW I'm a mirror image on both, based on moderate acquaintance. I often agreed with Tony but I found him too self-satisfied - too many people had told him he was a lovable elder statesman. I was disappointed in Gordon as PM for lack of vision (although I thought he rose to the occasion on the crisis), but at a personal level I thought him a nice (if surprisingly shy) man. In general I think politicians in private are often very different to their images!
  • Charles said:

Charles said:

kyf_100 said:

Very few bankers fly first class. They either go premium economy / business or in their own plane
    First Class = Snob Class
    Business = Spiv Class
    Economy/Standard Class = Steerage

:)
    Ok, now I'm pissed.

Brown was Chancellor, and key architect of THREE Labour election victories. The most in their history and likely the last for a very long time. He was thinking how Labour could actually win in a real election before Bastani was in trousers.

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1029842404009041922
    NEW THREAD
This discussion has been closed.