Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Silly season. What conspirac

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854

daodao said:

viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

It's clear that most of the attacks on Corbyn are having almost no effect on his support. The reasons for that would be interesting to analyse.

@Foxy is correct: it's priced in. Corbyn is a mad old Lefty who likes espousing bien-pensant fashionable causes because crazy fool. This is not news. Saying he's a hypocritical anti-semite was informative the first few times. But after the first couple of thousand repetitions it's become counterproductive.
    Bibi's intervention was definitely counter-productive. British people don't like being told what to think by despised foreign leaders. The UK public generally doesn't care if Corbyn sympathises with Hamas; they know he tends to support the underdog.

Voting choice is mostly determined by domestic issues, or foreign policy issues that have a direct impact (such as Brexit and overseas interventions).

As for the EU, why doesn't someone just emanate previous distinguished leaders and just say "Non, Non, Non". No deal would be a good deal for the EU.

I doubt if more than a tiny minority of British voters noticed Bibi's intervention, or even know what Bibi means.
    please enlighten me on meaning of Bibi, sounds extremely childish nickname.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

More utter bollx:

https://twitter.com/James4Labour/status/1029799018686230528

After three terms, a party loses. These cultists have no idea about political history or how electorates work or, well, frankly, how to sit on the toilet the right way around.

As I recall from wikipedia Brown wrote his doctorate on the history of the Labour Party in Scotland - definitely a man who knows his party inside and out.

Not to say he has the solutions for the party now of course, but even so people really don't like it when former leaders chime in, do they?

I preferred him to Blair, frankly, certainly style wise.
    Brown is a nasty egotistical talentless no-user. How anybody listens to the loser is hard to believe, he makes Trump look like a genius. A lying no good toerag.
    Ah, but I preferred his style (or lack there of) over Blair's phoney charm (I assume it worked on people in 1997, but by 2005 when I first started paying attention to politics it was offputting)
    malcolmg said:

Mind you, it's instructive to see history being rewritten so quickly. Anyone who thinks this government is unusually dysfunctional has already completely forgotten the Brown years.

Gordon Brown was hit by the global financial crisis. Brexit is a purely Conservative concoction. That's the difference. Brexit was not "started in America" nor foisted on us by Brussels. Gordon Brown led the international response to the GFC. Theresa May is leading what exactly?
    It's a bit rich to blame Theresa May for Brexit, even if you do think it's a Conservative concoction (a remarkable stretch in itself, given that there was a referendum).

Gordon Brown led nothing.

What's more, he was warned, in terms, of how stupid this was. We should never forget Peter Lilley's prophetic words from 1997.
    I think Alastair Darling is hugely underappreciated.
    He was the dumb to Brown's Dumber, a pair of useless cretins.
    So at least one was better!
    Splitting of hairs there KLE4
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. kle4, Sindy Reg sounds like a Scottish drag queen.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    currystar said:

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

The pound has endured its longest losing streak against the dollar since the financial crisis a decade ago because of mounting fears that the UK will crash out of the European Union in March and amid signs that the economy is struggling to gather momentum.

Sterling has fallen for 12 consecutive trading sessions, dipping 0.3 per cent to as low as $1.2689 yesterday, its weakest since June 2017. The last time the currency fell for 12 days running was in August 2008, weeks before Lehman Brothers went bust, tipping the global economy into recession.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/business/sterling-has-its-worst-run-since-crash-f8mq0m7td

I love all this stuff trying to talk the economy down. Remind me what were the unemployment figures like the other day? I sure they were at the lowest for 40 years, yet apparently the economy is struggling. What would they be like if the economy was doing well?
    It’s very odd, isn’t it. Unemployment appears to be low, yet people are still having to turn to foodbanks, homelessness is is rising, and wages in the middle and below are stagnant.

Services are being cut ‘because they’re unaffordable’ left right and centre.

Something's very wrong with the current economic model
    There remains a massive Public Sector Debt that has to be cleared, however in terms of wages I really think they are rising much quicker than being reported. Companies simply cannot get staff, there are vacancy notices everywhere. I do think something needs to be done about the mad high salaries for those in the upper ecehlons of Companies as these are now completely out of hand. I watched a show on Housing Associations the other day and some of their CEs earn three times as much as Theresa May, how crazy is that?

In terms of food I think it is now as cheap as it has been in my working life. In Tescos last night they had a whole range of vegetables for just 39 pence for a big bag. If you shop carefully you can easily feed yourself very well for less than £20 per week, which compared to the average wage is quite remarkable.
    The National Debt to GDP ratio remains lower than throughout the period stretching from World War 1 to the mid-1960s - much lower than when Macmillan informed us in 1957 that 'we had never had it so good'
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    malcolmg said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

The one that does my head in is carrot and stick. The carrot is on a stick held in front of the donkey to motivate it to walk forwards it's not a question of giving the donkey one or beating it with the other. Gah!

That is quite wrong, the expression means a combination of threat and bribe. Where is the threat in your version?
    Agree his is the snowflake version , in reality it was comparison of using threat or reward.
    No it wasn't. @williamglenn even posted a link for the hard of understanding to understand.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

I don't know what you mean - as my totally unedited post shows I clearly wrote SindyRef ;)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    TOPPING said:

Neither as in neither anti-semitic nor terrorist sympathiser?

One of the reasons why the Graun article was so good yesterday is that he is now compromising his own ideals. I find it difficult to believe that you don't think he was a terrorist sympathiser. He has associated with and has made many public statements in support of at least two terrorist groups (Irish, pro-Palestinian). You say he didn't check on wiki to see if they were terrorists - well that comes down to him being either malevolent or ignorant. Neither are good looks for the LotO.

If such associations does not constitute sympathy then I don't know what does.

As the Graun article says - his USP of honesty is ineluctably compromised because the honest thing to say is that he does sympathise with them because he shares their objectives and approves of or doesn't disapprove of their methods.

But then he seems not to want to be honest in this particular instance.

With Corbyn, we have the following options:

1. He was too stupid to know who he was associating with, who he was honouring. But it didn't matter, because he was only ever going to be some fringe player, a big fish in his own little pond of leftist politics.

2. He knew exactly who he was associating with, who he was honouring. It was done because he knew it would enhance his right-on credentials. But it didn't matter, because he was only ever going to be some fringe player, a big fish in his own little pond of leftist politics.

3. He didn't really give a shit, as long as he was on a jolly.

Hard to know which of those options makes him least suitable to control the lives of sixty million people.

• Options
    justin124 said:

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

The pound has endured its longest losing streak against the dollar since the financial crisis a decade ago because of mounting fears that the UK will crash out of the European Union in March and amid signs that the economy is struggling to gather momentum.

Sterling has fallen for 12 consecutive trading sessions, dipping 0.3 per cent to as low as $1.2689 yesterday, its weakest since June 2017. The last time the currency fell for 12 days running was in August 2008, weeks before Lehman Brothers went bust, tipping the global economy into recession.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/business/sterling-has-its-worst-run-since-crash-f8mq0m7td

I love all this stuff trying to talk the economy down. Remind me what were the unemployment figures like the other day? I sure they were at the lowest for 40 years, yet apparently the economy is struggling. What would they be like if the economy was doing well?
    It’s very odd, isn’t it. Unemployment appears to be low, yet people are still having to turn to foodbanks, homelessness is is rising, and wages in the middle and below are stagnant.

A lot of people in work are effectively being forced to work part time on an involuntary basis , and earn relatively little albeit enough to get them removed from the headline unemployment figures. Some economists have implied that when account is taken of 'underemployment' that the underlying unemployment level is 7% - 7.5%. That could explain the lack of upward pressure on wages.
    Can you name these economists and links to them saying this so we can evaluate their work.

I mean if it is Danny Blanchflower...
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    edited August 2018
    justin124 said:

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

A lot of people in work are effectively being forced to work part time on an involuntary basis , and earn relatively little albeit enough to get them removed from the headline unemployment figures. Some economists have implied that when account is taken of 'underemployment' that the underlying unemployment level is 7% - 7.5%. That could explain the lack of upward pressure on wages.
    If underlying employment is 7-7.5% why are there vacancy signs everywhere, why can't companies get staff?
  • Options
    Asking on behalf of a working class Yorkshireman.

How does one pronounce ‘Towcester’?

Is it ‘toaster’?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

So much of the attack on Corbyn over the last fortnight has reminded me of the Hillary attacks on Trump. He did this, he said this, he supported that, he is a complete moral reprobate and not fit to hold the office. How could you possibly vote for him?

Such attacks certainly stir up those who already think he is morally contemptible. I have been disgusted by recent revelations but in truth they rank somewhat lower than his vile, near treasonous behaviour with the IRA. It hasn't changed my mind or made me less likely to vote for him. That was never going to happen even before.

The effect on those who don't hold him in such contempt is much less marked. There is some evidence that his personal rating has fallen somewhat but whether that is because of the accusations or the fact that Labour once again looks like a disorganised, incoherent, disunited mess is hard to say. What I think is clear is that the lesson of 2017 has still not been learned. There is a law of diminishing returns on this stuff and we are a long way down the curve.

None of it should be forgotten, and labour mps shoukd continue to pressed for their views on it (after all if someone has done wrong thstistrue whether the polls move or not), but no-one cares enough for it to effect their vote, and the Tories need a good candidate with a positive message which chimes with people.
    What the last fortnight has exposed is the extreme lengths that Corbyn's army of supporters and his team at Labour will go to. I found the way they defended what was clearly a falsehood to be extremely chilling. Even the official press office was at it.

Imagine this lot in action when JC is PM and he does something the public don't agree with.
    Imagine the other lot making up a load of lies about what Jezza's dad did in the war, or do the Tories only use that line against Jews?
    The other lot doing awful things doesn't make the creepy adoration of Corbyn, including calling smears things he said were not smears, any less creepy. All parties certainly do bad things and have terrible supporters, which deserve calling out every time. The extent or nature of it, including how divorced from reality it gets, can differ.
    The trouble is the press has been crying wolf for so long over Kinnock, Blair, Brown and Ed Miliband, that now there really is one, well, you know how the story ends.

There is a line in the Shipman Brexit book where a "Number 10 source" looks at the hostile press and reflects it must be like this for Labour in every general election.
  • Options

Is it ‘toaster’?

Yes
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

surby said:

Another balanced tweet from the Useful idiot in Chief:

https://twitter.com/DerbyChrisW/status/1029843856102252563

I think this poll is an outlier too! But Labour vote has improved in the last two weeks or so.
    Looks like Labour will be wooing the SNP soon
    Aren't the SNP due to announce their formal campaign for a new SindyRef this autumn? I wonder if Lab might agree it is time for another one, as part of that wooing? IIRC Corbyn is more open to that than SLAB.
    I would imagine that would be the price for propping up Westminster Labour and Corbyn would dump the regional branch office to get it as well for sure.
  • Options

Is it ‘toaster’?

yes
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

The one that does my head in is carrot and stick. The carrot is on a stick held in front of the donkey to motivate it to walk forwards it's not a question of giving the donkey one or beating it with the other. Gah!

That is quite wrong, the expression means a combination of threat and bribe. Where is the threat in your version?
    Agree his is the snowflake version , in reality it was comparison of using threat or reward.
    No it wasn't. @williamglenn even posted a link for the hard of understanding to understand.
    You mean like this one...........

The "carrot and stick" approach (also "carrot or stick approach") is an idiom that refers to a policy of offering a combination of reward and punishment to induce good behavior. It is named in reference to a cart driver dangling a carrot in front of a mule and holding a stick behind it.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    currystar said:

If underlying employment is 7-7.5% why are there vacancy signs everywhere, why can't companies get staff?

It's easy to assume the economic conditions in, say, south Hampshire are being replicated across the whole country. I certainly agree with your previous there are labour capacity issues especially but not exclusively in skilled sectors and these may well, if they aren't already. going to drive up wage inflation.

In my part of London the continuing influx of migrants (the new arrivals now seem to be from sub-Saharan Africa especially Nigeria and Ghana) mean low-pay low-skilled jobs are quickly filled as there is the labour supply available but shortages in key skilled areas are evident.

I hear this anecdotally across the public sector in the south and south east where posts for engineers, architects, property managers and IT professionals can't be filled because the private sector can offer so much more money. A newly-graduated surveyor isn't going to go into local Government when they can earn £30-£50k more in the West End.

I'm also hugely sceptical of the unemployment figures which are partly reflective of changes to welfare provision since 2010 which make eligibility for benefits harder. Yes, there are more people working but there are plenty of economically inactive people as well. It's a complex area for which the current statistical arrangements are inadequate.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2018

justin124 said:

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

Can you name these economists and links to them saying this so we can evaluate their work.

Here in the sticks there are vacancies everywhere. However, they're nearly all for minimum wage, and there appears to be no route to anything but minimum wage. Jobs are good, but I can't get enthused about mcJobs in shops and pubs and so forth.

However, I've not seen anything with serious provenance that supports Justin's assertions.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

The "carrot and stick" approach (also "carrot or stick approach") is an idiom that refers to a policy of offering a combination of reward and punishment to induce good behavior. It is named in reference to a cart driver dangling a carrot in front of a mule and holding a stick behind it.
    Nah. Just this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrot_and_stick

The one you reference is just for people who are unable to understand basic metaphors and hence jump to the first conclusion that their tiny minds can manage.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    John_M said:

justin124 said:

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

Here in the sticks there are vacancies everywhere. However, they're nearly all for minimum wage, and there appears to be no route to anything but minimum wage. Jobs are good, but I can't get enthused about mcJobs in shops and pubs and so forth.

However, I've not seen anything with serious provenance that supports Justin's assertions.
    One problem with the minimum wage is that whilst it provides a floor, it also provides in many cases a ceiling too.
  • Options

Is it ‘toaster’?

Yes
    TOPPING said:

Is it ‘toaster’?

yes
    Ta.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956
    edited August 2018
    John_M said:

justin124 said:

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

It's anecdotal but I know a lot of people with children who work 16 hours or so and the rest is topped up with Tax credits.

Equally I know at lot of people who now own their houses who are now earning just enough to live on and not bothering earning more than that as it's just wasted on tax credits - hence why work hard when you could just join them..
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985
    DavidL said:

If you were in any doubt you might have listened to any of the speeches being made at the Conference. Corbyn was there because he supports the Palestinians in their violent struggle against Israel. He clearly finds men of violence sexy, hence his affection for members of the IRA. It has nothing to do with peace and everything to do with support for the anti western underdog.

I agree with this analysis but Corbyn is far from alone in this. There are plenty of men (they are almost always men in my experience) who go giddy in the presence of killers. Look at how knock kneed and doe eyed the Fireplace Salesman gets when presented with a couple of squaddies to patronise.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    eek said:

John_M said:

justin124 said:

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

It's anecdotal but I know a lot of people with children who work 16 hours or so and the rest is topped up with Tax credits.
    I'm currently wading through the ONS stats to see if there's anything on underemployment. The trouble with national statistics is...that they're national. I'm sure the 'real' picture varies widely by locality.
  • Options

Is it ‘toaster’?

Yes
    TOPPING said:

Is it ‘toaster’?

yes
    Ta.
    And if anyone is wondering, you need to look out for the downhill open ditch.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    John_M said:

eek said:

John_M said:

justin124 said:

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

I'm currently wading through the ONS stats to see if there's anything on underemployment. The trouble with national statistics is...that they're national. I'm sure the 'real' picture varies widely by locality.
    There is in the unemployment data. Part time workers and the reasons people have listed.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

Bell and Blanchflower come to mind. A detailed discussion can be found in ' The likely scale of underemployment in the UK '

Employment & Welfare: MW 446. provided by Migration Watch UK. The final paragraph states 'Conclusion

Record numbers of people working and record rates of employment in the UK do not give a full picture as to whether individuals are able to get work, or if they have some work whether they are able to work as much as they would like or, indeed, if it is the work they want. Underemployment, on a variety of measures, remains considerably elevated compared with the period before the economic downturn. The evidence suggests that during the downturn employers continued to increase their use of migrant labour while a considerable number of those in the UK-born population lost their jobs and were unable to find new work. Headlines that suggest that there has since been recovery to full employment overlook the evidence that very large numbers of people in the UK, quite possibly as many as 5 million, are still unable to get as much work as they would wish to do.'
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

Nah. Just this one.

The one you reference is just for people who are unable to understand basic metaphors and hence jump to the first conclusion that their tiny minds can manage.
    LOL, this from the genius who is unable to read the garbage he is promoting , look at this from your article jackass.

This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Is it ‘toaster’?

Yes
    TOPPING said:

Is it ‘toaster’?

yes
    Ta.
    And if anyone is wondering, you need to look out for the downhill open ditch.
    And don't park on the downhill grass slope unless you have a fourwheel drive.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

If you were in any doubt you might have listened to any of the speeches being made at the Conference. Corbyn was there because he supports the Palestinians in their violent struggle against Israel. He clearly finds men of violence sexy, hence his affection for members of the IRA. It has nothing to do with peace and everything to do with support for the anti western underdog.

I agree with this analysis but Corbyn is far from alone in this. There are plenty of men (they are almost always men in my experience) who go giddy in the presence of killers. Look at how knock kneed and doe eyed the Fireplace Salesman gets when presented with a couple of squaddies to patronise.
    Him, Grayling, Fox. Not exactly a cabinet of all the talents is it?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Has Corbyn a wreath around his neck?

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1030020904187830272
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

I wouldn't say it is just men. Look at women who want to marry murderers and rapists on death row, or just women which 'love a bad boy'.

Violence has always been attractive.
  • Options

Reminds me of Ben Doon and Phil McCavity.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Bell and Blanchflower come to mind. A detailed discussion can be found in ' The likely scale of underemployment in the UK '

Employment & Welfare: MW 446. provided by Migration Watch UK. The final paragraph states 'Conclusion

Record numbers of people working and record rates of employment in the UK do not give a full picture as to whether individuals are able to get work, or if they have some work whether they are able to work as much as they would like or, indeed, if it is the work they want. Underemployment, on a variety of measures, remains considerably elevated compared with the period before the economic downturn. The evidence suggests that during the downturn employers continued to increase their use of migrant labour while a considerable number of those in the UK-born population lost their jobs and were unable to find new work. Headlines that suggest that there has since been recovery to full employment overlook the evidence that very large numbers of people in the UK, quite possibly as many as 5 million, are still unable to get as much work as they would wish to do.'

So Blanchflower's previous five million unemployed has morphed into a very convenient five million under-employed?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

The problem with that analysis, which probably had some truth in the early years of the recovery, is that over the last few years there has been a consistent trend of FT employment increasing faster than PT employment. Indeed, from time to time, there has even been falls in PT employment.

This is what you would expect in an increasingly tight labour market. Part timers are incentivised to take FT work and employers improve peoples' terms and conditions to ensure they keep staff that they want. My niece, for example, got a job in a Tescos call centre as agency staff but has now got a FT position with Tesco as have the rest of her cohort who were any good.

Is there still some people who would work more hours if they could? Almost certainly. Are there some people stuck in the gig economy who would like secure employment? Beyond a doubt although it is noticeable that the gig economy seems to be shrinking as well at the moment. Do we have full employment and skills shortages in quite large parts of the country? Who could seriously doubt it?
  • Options

Is it ‘toaster’?

Yes
    TOPPING said:

Is it ‘toaster’?

yes
    Ta.
    We'll never get him arrested as a German spy if you lot keep teaching him how to pronounce Towcester, Leicester and the rest. Come to think of it, wasn't that a scene in a Will Hay film?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK
    Our latest voting intention poll gives Labour a two point lead:

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

Fieldwork 9th-13th Aug (changes vs 27th Mar to 5th Apr)

PB Tory despair Fieldwork all during Wreath Smear.

People dont care or dont believe

Change is coming.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

currystar said:

Scott_P said:

and making up the shortfall in debt. This has been a public and private sector problem.

We have not yet learned to control our expenditure to what we earn, hence the poor savings ratio and the enormous trade deficit, and, more disappointingly, we have been very unsuccessful in increasing output by productivity. The latest figures did contain a jump in productivity but whether this is a blip or the start of a very necessary change is unclear.

There is also the question of the allocation of the cake. Overall our gini coefficient has fallen and there was that chart linked to on here recently showing that we were the only EU country where inequality had fallen across all age groups. And yet we have the 11% increase for FTSE bosses to an average of £4m. It is a pity in some respects that we are missing an opposition to ask questions about that. But I am sure Labour has more important things to do.
    The top 10% have generally seen the biggest rises in taxation and biggest cuts in benefits of any income group since 2010, but maybe within that group, there's a much smaller element (perhaps the top 0.5%) who have seen their incomes soar.

This is an interesting article, based on the Resolution Foundation's recent report.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-5985783/Millions-low-income-families-worse-15-years-ago-says-Resolution-Foundation.html

Real household incomes rose sharply for all groups between 1997 and 2003, and then, went into reverse for the poorest 50% of households for ten years, and the rate of growth for the top 50% slowed markedly, before falling sharply from 2009 to 2013. No income group, other than pensioners, was better off in 2013 than in 2003.

Since 2013, real household incomes have risen across the board, but at a much slower rate than between 1997 and 2003.

Economic growth between 2003 and 2007 simply didn't feed through into income growth.

It did for web site designers, bankers, plumbers, electricians and other workers with skills.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

Nah. Just this one.

LOL, this from the genius who is unable to read the garbage he is promoting , look at this from your article jackass.

This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
    I didn't have you down as an intellectual dolt, Malcolm. Read the entry. Or better still, if you are so convinced of your argument, why not remove the article.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

I wouldn't say it is just men. Look at women who want to marry murderers and rapists on death row, or just women which 'love a bad boy'.

Violence has always been attractive.
    Are you saying that Chelsea are a particularly violent team?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    dr_spyn said:

Public opinion moves slowly - cant fatten a pig in a day.

Corbyn toasting is slow.
  • Options

That may be true for the midwinter meeting but I went one October when it was on the hard side of firm back in the early 1990s. First meeting of the season, opening race was a four runner selling hurdle. At the first, one fell and one refused.

There has been a void race - a novice chase if memory serves - when none of the horses completed. My recollection is the clear leader came to the last and unseated and the horse behind jinked right and dropped his jockey as well.

Free admission for all meetings except Boxing Day and Easter Monday was a brave move but it's catchment area wasn't really large enough.

The dog track is the key - it's highly regarded and has staged the Greyhound Derby for the last two or three years. I could envisage saving the dog track and the horse track going into oblivion.
  • Options
    stodge said:

That may be true for the midwinter meeting but I went one October when it was on the hard side of firm back in the early 1990s. First meeting of the season, opening race was a four runner selling hurdle. At the first, one fell and one refused.

There has been a void race - a novice chase if memory serves - when none of the horses completed. My recollection is the clear leader came to the last and unseated and the horse behind jinked right and dropped his jockey as well.

Free admission for all meetings except Boxing Day and Easter Monday was a brave move but it's catchment area wasn't really large enough.

The dog track is the key - it's highly regarded and has staged the Greyhound Derby for the last two or three years. I could envisage saving the dog track and the horse track going into oblivion.
    Would be a shame. It's a lovely track and a pity the free admission strategy didn't work.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Last YG had Tories ahead by 4%

Wonder what VI will be after Wreath Smear!!!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,938

Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

Change is coming.

Change, as you well know, can be for better or for worse.

I see little reason how having a passive anti-Semite as PM, especially one who seems to quite like those who dislike us, will be a change for the better.

Especially when he comes accompanied with addled followers such as yourself.

Last night I watched "Himmler: the decent one". I might suggest that you do the same and see where acceptance of anti-Semitism leads. Not that you care ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Decent_One
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

Change is coming.

When did a photo showing Corbyn laying a wreath become a smear?
  • Options
    Patrick Stewart, boldly gone.

From this, 2016:

As a self-proclaimed socialist and activist, he doesn’t shrink from expressing his opinion on the current government and the state of the Labour party.

“I think that Jeremy [Corbyn] has begun to find a voice that’s clearly authentic and passionate,” he states with conviction. “I’m beginning to have a feeling that there’s a route for Labour that might be very exciting for the country.

https://www.readersdigest.co.uk/culture/celebrities/patrick-stewart-im-having-so-much-fun

To this, 2018:

"I ask him if he will be voting Labour again, and, after a long pause, he says, in a quiet and sad voice, probably not – so long as it supports Brexit and seems unable to deal swiftly and decisively with obvious evils such as anti-Semitism.

“I think I will vote Green next time around as they have got it right about Brexit and other issues that should concern us all, such as climate change. To be perfectly honest, I find it difficult to understand what Labour really stands for or what it represents right now. It doesn’t feel like my party any more."

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/sir-patrick-stewart-i-find-it-difficult-to-know-what-labour-stands-for-1-5653286
  • Options

Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

Change is coming.

I see little reason how having a passive anti-Semite as PM, especially one who seems to quite like those who dislike us, will be a change for the better.

Last night I watched "Himmler: the decent one". I might suggest that you do the same and see where acceptance of anti-Semitism leads. Not that you care ...

Victoria Derbyshire says no Labour leader has done as much to tackle Anti Semitism as Jezza and confirms he is not a passive Anti Semite.

FYI I abhor AS too. Just the accusers have a track record of attacking Corbyn with lies and smears.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

dr_spyn said:

Corbyn toasting is slow.
    Slow or in reverse?
    Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

• Options

TGOHF said:

dr_spyn said:

Corbyn toasting is slow.
    Slow or in reverse?
    Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

Patrick Stewart is not the change you are looking for.......
  • Options

Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

Change is coming.

Victoria Derbyshire says no Labour leader has done as much to tackle Anti Semitism as Jezza and confirms he is not a passive Anti Semite.

FYI I abhor AS too. Just the accusers have a track record of attacking Corbyn with lies and smears.
    Well, if Victoria Derbyshire says so, then it must be correct? (And a linky for that, please, as it seems slightly at odds with her role at the BBC).

To be clear, you don't abhor anti-Semitism: you excuse it when it's from *your* side. You turn a blind eye.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

dr_spyn said:

Corbyn toasting is slow.
    Slow or in reverse?
    Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

3.5% swing to Lab

Thats the change i am looking for.

Jezza bounce in GE still to come when Universal Income support kicks in.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    edited August 2018

dr_spyn said:

Last YG had Tories ahead by 4%

Wonder what VI will be after Wreath Smear!!!
    Read the YouGov analysis. Only about a quarter of people say they are following this story. Of those, a fair chunk don't believe it. Of the remainder, a small proportion say their opinion of him has improved. Of the remaining slice (that are following the story and that believe it and that say their opinion of him has worsened), very few of them are Labour voters in the first place.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

3.5% swing to Lab

All's well then. You don't need to expend so much effort trying to debunk the 'smears' which you show are completely ineffective. Hell, maybe they are even helpful: the more pictures of Jezza celebrating terrorists, the better, eh?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

dr_spyn said:

Corbyn toasting is slow.
    Slow or in reverse?
    Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

I don't think he recovered from being Locutus. The hive mind is still strong.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

dr_spyn said:

Corbyn toasting is slow.
    Slow or in reverse?
    Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

3.5% swing to Lab

Or Tory voters are away on holiday.

It's a brave person that takes anything from August polling.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Foaming level: elevated.

https://twitter.com/montie/status/1030030982894772224

All this based on a Stewart Jackson quote and "sources" that seem to emanate from a UKIP MEP.
  • Options

Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

Change is coming.

Well, if Victoria Derbyshire says so, then it must be correct? (And a linky for that, please, as it seems slightly at odds with her role at the BBC).

To be clear, you don't abhor anti-Semitism: you excuse it when it's from *your* side. You turn a blind eye.
    Afraid i know whether i abhor AS more than you do.

Why do you think only 22 out of 600000 members have been charged with AS (0.003%)
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Is the BBC now the mouthpiece for RT?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-45204246
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Would be a shame. It's a lovely track and a pity the free admission strategy didn't work.

I'm making a few assumptions to be honest. The problem is a race-day has fixed costs (ambulance staff, security personnel, racing officials) even if no one turned up to watch. The racecourses get media rights money but if there are fewer than six runners in a race I believe there is no payment. Towcester has lost fixtures over the past two or three years and as an independent it suffers from the vice-like grip ARC and JCR have on the fixture list.

As a racing fan, if I'm being blunt, there is too much racing but the big problem now is or are the all-weather tracks. Why do we need six all-weather venues? We managed for years with three and the argument for one in the north, one in the midlands and one in the south is valid.

AW venues were meant as a stopgap to keep racing going when turf racing was halted in the winter due to frost, snow and watlerlogging and that's fine. I can also see an argument for them as a contrast to prevailing ground conditions so in the summer harrow them deep to get slower ground to provide an alternative to fast summer turf.
  • Options

From this, 2016:

As a self-proclaimed socialist and activist, he doesn’t shrink from expressing his opinion on the current government and the state of the Labour party.

“I think that Jeremy [Corbyn] has begun to find a voice that’s clearly authentic and passionate,” he states with conviction. “I’m beginning to have a feeling that there’s a route for Labour that might be very exciting for the country.

https://www.readersdigest.co.uk/culture/celebrities/patrick-stewart-im-having-so-much-fun

To this, 2018:

"I ask him if he will be voting Labour again, and, after a long pause, he says, in a quiet and sad voice, probably not – so long as it supports Brexit and seems unable to deal swiftly and decisively with obvious evils such as anti-Semitism.

“I think I will vote Green next time around as they have got it right about Brexit and other issues that should concern us all, such as climate change. To be perfectly honest, I find it difficult to understand what Labour really stands for or what it represents right now. It doesn’t feel like my party any more."

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/sir-patrick-stewart-i-find-it-difficult-to-know-what-labour-stands-for-1-5653286

The Wreath of Khan.
  • Options

Foaming level: elevated.

https://twitter.com/montie/status/1030030982894772224

All this based on a Stewart Jackson quote and "sources" that seem to emanate from a UKIP MEP.

What a ridiculous comment from Tim there - the beginning of the end for her was quite some time ago.
  • Options
    There's been a new Swedish opinion poll that doesn't seem to have got much coverage:

S 23.6
    M 19.7
    SD 19.6

You can still lay the Sweden Democrats at 1.89 on Betfair, though they've been third in the last three opinion polls.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

dr_spyn said:

Corbyn toasting is slow.
    No he isn't. That was what we thought pre-GE 2017. No, history doesn't repeat itself, but we can see that even decent chaps like bigjohn calling everything smears,even the stuff he has said, that Corbyn is safe as houses, since his core aren't toasting slowly, they aren't even being heated.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Lol, not even Picard is switching to the Lib Dems.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

dr_spyn said:

Corbyn toasting is slow.
    Slow or in reverse?
    Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

JCICIPM?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

3.5% swing to Lab

All's well then. You don't need to expend so much effort trying to debunk the 'smears' which you show are completely ineffective. Hell, maybe they are even helpful: the more pictures of Jezza celebrating terrorists, the better, eh?
    Looks like the general public doesn't care much. It's a long term problem that really started with the smearing of Ed Miliband:

http://ponyonthetories.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-cry-wolf-election.html
  • Options

TGOHF said:

dr_spyn said:

Corbyn toasting is slow.
    Slow or in reverse?
    Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

JCICIPM?
    JCIASIPM Surely!!!!!
  • Options

From this, 2016:

To this, 2018:

The Wreath of Khan.
    LOL

But I fear the chances of the Patrick Stewarts of this world being brought back on board by the outrageous behaviour of the Tories in [insert some distorted anecdote with a flexible relationship to the truth here] and the desperate need to stop them before the last NHS hospital is closed are high. It is not something they can rely upon.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Looks like the general public doesn't care much. It's a long term problem that really started with the smearing of Ed Miliband:

I think the main impact is that it cuts Labour out of segments whom they might otherwise be able to target: Jewish voters, older voters, voters who expect the PM to be able to apply some moral clarity to the world. It will also hugely firm up the votes of centrist Conservatives who otherwise might be tempted to stay at home or even vote for a party other than the Tories.
  • Options
    So now the BBC is talking up Corbyn propaganda as well as RT. Admittedly this is by a daytime tv hack so only seen by .....?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,304

From this, 2016:

To this, 2018:

Just a typical luvvie.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    stodge said:

TOPPING said:

I'm making a few assumptions to be honest. The problem is a race-day has fixed costs (ambulance staff, security personnel, racing officials) even if no one turned up to watch. The racecourses get media rights money but if there are fewer than six runners in a race I believe there is no payment. Towcester has lost fixtures over the past two or three years and as an independent it suffers from the vice-like grip ARC and JCR have on the fixture list.

As a racing fan, if I'm being blunt, there is too much racing but the big problem now is or are the all-weather tracks. Why do we need six all-weather venues? We managed for years with three and the argument for one in the north, one in the midlands and one in the south is valid.

AW venues were meant as a stopgap to keep racing going when turf racing was halted in the winter due to frost, snow and watlerlogging and that's fine. I can also see an argument for them as a contrast to prevailing ground conditions so in the summer harrow them deep to get slower ground to provide an alternative to fast summer turf.
    Totally agree on the surfeit of racing. Far too much. And I fear that the AW has some tangential link to the need for bookies to run racing all through the evening to get punters in for FOBTs although I appreciate they have cartoon racing for that as well.

Having said that, take out the AW and there is still too much racing.
  • Options
    Quite skilfully cut there. And that's her giving the opposing view in an interview, not her 'confirming it'.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I think the main impact is that it cuts Labour our of votes which they might otherwise be able to target: Jewish voters, older voters, voters who expect the PM to be able to apply some moral clarity to the world.
    The first two groups lean heavily conservative (Finchley should be a safe hold), and the third is tiny.
  • Options

Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

Change is coming.

Why do you think only 22 out of 600000 members have been charged with AS (0.003%)
    Then act like you abhor it, and don't come out with cr~p excuses when it occurs - at least by your own side!

BTW, how do you know how much I abhor it?

You're being a fool on this issue.

(And your last line is utterly irrelevant; a fish rots from its head.)
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

Change is coming.

Then act like you abhor it, and don't come out with cr~p excuses when it occurs - at least by your own side!

"Nobody has ever done more to combat AS"
  • Options

From this, 2016:

To this, 2018:

Just a typical luvvie.
    so self-important and hypocritical then, and given far too much air time by the establishment media - all of it, not just the BBC.
  • Options

Quite skilfully cut there. And that's her giving the opposing view in an interview, not her 'confirming it'.
    I doubt daytime tv viewers would be able to recognise that
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I think the main impact is that it cuts Labour our of votes which they might otherwise be able to target: Jewish voters, older voters, voters who expect the PM to be able to apply some moral clarity to the world.
    The first two groups lean heavily conservative (Finchley should be a safe hold), and the third is tiny.
    spoken like a socialist
  • Options

She also claims Lord Sheikh was at the wreath laying ceremony whereas he has denied even knowing about it, far less being there.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited August 2018
    Corbyn is an anti-imperialist.

His worldview is that the whole global order strains under an Anglo-US hegemony, whose effects are most visible in Latin America (Cuba, Venezuela), Northern Ireland, and Israel/Palestine.

He will always give the benefit of the doubt to enemies of the West, whether Russia, Iran, or Hamas.

This doesn’t make him an anti-Semite per se. His view on Munich (although he would not say this out loud) is probably that the victims do not merit special consideration compared to the victims of Western imperialism, and indeed that they are have been over-recognised compared with victims of US/Israeli aggression.

All this, along with his anti-EU and far left economic thinking, was baked in when he ascended to the leadership.

It is only Brexit that sustains this lunatic at the top. Only a fringe of the population actually support his views. Labour polling is held up by this fringe, plus the “dumb Labour” vote, plus a clear 10% of the population who simply despair at the government’s Brexitism.

He is “one of the prices worth paying” along with the 15% fall in the pound to date, our downgraded credit rating, stalled investment and growth, a diminution in our hard and soft power, the collapse of effective policy making, succour to Irish and Scottish nationalism, and a rise in anti-foreign abuse.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Trump tends to blame the media for everything, but at least, he has a point. They don't like him, He is uncouth and he doesn't show them respect - the cardinal sin.

But it is an effective shield. It's the Millwall syndrome. All the media has bias, even our beloved OGH, The BBC have their well-known biases, but they do try to reduce them, even if they fail occasionally.

So even if a story is true, it can be dismissed as a smear.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,298

TGOHF said:

dr_spyn said:

Corbyn toasting is slow.
    Slow or in reverse?
    Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

JCICIPM?
    Hmm. We seem to be witnessing Teflon Jezza here. His opponents must be concerned that the following characterisation has taken hold in the public consciousness: that in his youth he was merely a champion of unfashionable causes but has now matured into a lovable old granddad. If so then his opponents might truly be stuffed.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

spoken like a socialist
    tbh this all seems a bit cynical at best, and verging on unintentional antisemitism with both sides treating Jews as a block vote. Of course, there is a real tension because normal demographic analysis does lump voters together in various ways, no doubt wrongly at the individual level.
  • Options

At what point does she say that?
  • Options

His worldview is that the whole global order strains under an Anglo-US hegemony, whose effects are most visible in Latin America (Cuba, Venezuela), Northern Ireland, and Israel/Palestine.

He will always give the benefit of the doubt to enemies of the West, whether Russia, Iran, or Hamas.

This doesn’t make him an anti-Semite per se. His view on Munich (although he would not say this out loud) is probably that the victims do not merit special consideration compared to the victims of Western imperialism, and indeed that they are have been over-recognised compared with victims of US/Israeli aggression.

All this, along with his anti-EU and far left economic thinking, was baked in when he ascended to the leadership.

It is only Brexit that sustains this lunatic at the top. Only a fringe of the population actually support his views. Labour polling is held up by this fringe, plus the “dumb Labour” vote, plus a clear 10% of the population who simply despair at the government’s Brexitism.

He is “one of the prices worth paying” along with the 15% fall in the pound to date, our downgraded credit rating, stalled investment and growth, a diminution in our hard and soft power, the collapse of effective policy making, succour to Irish and Scottish nationalism, and a rise in anti-foreign abuse.
    VD seemingly holds a contrary opinion
  • Options

VD seemingly holds a contrary opinion
    Not sure she does. She’s talking about anti-Semitism.

Anyway, I don’t think VD is relevant one way or another. Anyone who knows a little about the “Left” knows what Corbyn is.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

spoken like a socialist
    tbh this all seems a bit cynical at best, and verging on unintentional antisemitism with both sides treating Jews as a block vote. Of course, there is a real tension because normal demographic analysis does lump voters together in various ways, no doubt wrongly at the individual level.
    It's the other way round - the Jewish vote is not a 'block' vote, which is exactly why it's unhelpful from Labour's point of view that Jezza is going out of his way to make them so (and not on his side!)
  • Options

TGOHF said:

dr_spyn said:

Corbyn toasting is slow.
    Slow or in reverse?
    Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

JCICIPM?
    Hmm. We seem to be witnessing Teflon Jezza here. His opponents must be concerned that the following characterisation has taken hold in the public consciousness: that in his youth he was merely a champion of unfashionable causes but has now matured into a lovable old granddad. If so then his opponents might truly be stuffed.
    But is he a useful idiot and does the real threat lie elsewhere?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    edited August 2018
    Message for Malcomg.
    Thanks for the tips for Tuesday. You clearly know what you are doing when it comes to horse racing!.

pm also sent!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

spoken like a socialist
    Lol, I went the extra mile to keep Corbyn out at GE17.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/labour-support-just-13-per-cent-among-uk-jews-1.439325

The vote skewing Tory towards older cohorts is also well documented.

Just saying it'd be daft to rule out the possibility of a Corbyn Gov't at this point in time just because it isn't what I want to happen.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Totally agree on the surfeit of racing. Far too much. And I fear that the AW has some tangential link to the need for bookies to run racing all through the evening to get punters in for FOBTs although I appreciate they have cartoon racing for that as well.

Having said that, take out the AW and there is still too much racing.

AW has a role and I wouldn't want it gone but there seems to be an AW fixture every day and sometimes two.

The changes to FOBTs will impact the high street bookies. At the moment the shops are open from 8am to 11pm here in East Ham High Street and there are players on the FOBTs from dawn to dusk and beyond. In a retail commercial sector being hollowed out by other factors the loss of a number of betting shops isn't going to do wonders for commercial rates and rents.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

spoken like a socialist
    Lol, I went the extra mile to keep Corbyn out at GE17.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/labour-support-just-13-per-cent-among-uk-jews-1.439325

The vote skewing Tory towards older cohorts is also well documented.

Just saying it'd be daft to rule out the possibility of a Corbyn Gov't at this point in time just because it isn't what I want to happen.
    Far from ruling it out, it is surely odds on.

All things being equal.

Of course it is difficult to make predictions for an election still 4 years away, but the polling is consistently telling us that Labour will form the next government, possibly with some agreement from the SNP.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807

TGOHF said:

dr_spyn said:

Corbyn toasting is slow.
    Slow or in reverse?
    Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

JCICIPM?
    No, he is very badly rated by the public, (down to 20% according to YouGov).
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    stodge said:

The changes to FOBTs will impact the high street bookies. At the moment the shops are open from 8am to 11pm here in East Ham High Street and there are players on the FOBTs from dawn to dusk and beyond. In a retail commercial sector being hollowed out by other factors the loss of a number of betting shops isn't going to do wonders for commercial rates and rents.

I logged on to the National Lottery website the other day. I knew they had some instant win games there, but I had not realised there is one that costs £10 a go!
  • Options

Number Cruncher Politics
    @NCPoliticsUK

LAB 40 (+2)
    CON 38 (-5)
    LD 8 (=)
    UKIP 5 (+2)
    SNP 4 (=)
    GRN 2 (-1)

Change is coming.

Asperger Syndrome?

Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Astigmatism?

Aortic Stenosis?

He truly must be the Messiah. Who needs the NHS any more.....
This discussion has been closed.