Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Outsiders have rarely become PM – but that doesn’t mean they c

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Outsiders have rarely become PM – but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t have done

By Photo: Sergeant Tom Robinson

Read the full story here

Comments

• David Herdson on a Thursday, my whole world is askew.
  • But yes Gove is the one to watch
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959

But yes Gove is the one to watch

Michael Gove has somewhat less chance than George Osborne.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    Third like Boris
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    IanB2 said:

Third like Boris

Fourth like Diane Abbott.

I understand Osborne is backing Gove whereas Dave is vehemently opposed to Gove.

What is a Cameroon supposed to do in those circumstances?
    Ben Stokes pls note: Danny Cipriani is how to handle a court case.
  • I wonder if our politics will become more like the USA as we leave the EU. Leadership candidates campaign to the edges of their parties, stand for election on slightly more centrist platforms then move to the centre in government as the constraints apply. Unless we have Corbyn or JRM who would be Trump like.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    Afternoon all :)

Whether on a Thursday or a Saturday it's always good to read a piece from David H for which as always many thanks.

The other side of the question is the degree to which the CoE is a potential leadership contender. There have been "non-political" Chancellors such as Barber, Lawson, Darling and arguably Hammond who are not leadership contenders but occupy the post either because of their technical knowledge or as a compromise.

No. The next Tory leader must (a) be comfortable in their own skin, (b) communicate well on TV and (c) sell sunny uplands. Anyone who cannot do this will lose the election.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    When a party in government is choosing a new leader, it is choosing someone who is going to be Prime Minister. It should feel a responsibility to choose someone who has already demonstrated competence at the highest level.

That said, I agree with David Herdson that in practice the next in-government replacement of Prime Minister might well see a relative novice take over. Both main parties are showing collective irresponsibility and might well choose to indulge their party prejudices rather than consider the needs of the country.
    edited August 2018
    The real problem for the Tories is that to sort out their predicament they need to be in opposition, yet they are lumbered in government with a leader who, despite her skills to tackle the current challenges (which are being under-appreciated amidst all the frothy-mouthed accusations), has already proven herself utterly unsuitable for taking the party into the next GE (barring, of course, the scenario where she is widely seen to have rescued the country from potential Brexit disaster). They need somebody new from left field like Cameron, yet such a person would be judged (and found wanting) as an immediate replacement PM.

Personally I think that the 'powers that be' are seeing Javid as the only answer to this conundrum.

I understand Osborne is backing Gove whereas Dave is vehemently opposed to Gove.

I assume, unite against Boris?

I just can't see Gove as a PM. How could he enforce Cabinet discipline when he has been such a notorious leaker himself?
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Dave's memoirs have been postponed for another year (what on earth does the man do all day?) so the nineteen chapters of reasons for not supporting Gove for deputy chief dog warden might not be in MPs' hands or minds by the time of the ballot.

No. The next Tory leader must (a) be comfortable in their own skin, (b) communicate well on TV and (c) sell sunny uplands. Anyone who cannot do this will lose the election.
    You better take TSE's belt and shoe-laces. You've just described Boris....

I just can't see Gove as a PM. How could he enforce Cabinet discipline when he has been such a notorious leaker himself?
    Gove, Brexit apart, is a One Nation Cameroon to his core, he'd be appealing if the alternatives were JRM or Boris.

I suspect Gove might be the only one able to sell a pragmatic Brexit to the country and the Tory Party.

I know he has huge flaws, I mean there was polling by Sir Lynton Crosby back in 2014 showing how badly Gove polled with the public, so Dave moved him from Education. That said Gove did help win the referendum.

The other issue many will have is Sarah Vine, aka Lady Macbeth without the charm.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    For me:

1. Javid/Hunt
    2. Hammond
    3. Gove
    300. Johnson

All presentation and no content? Are we the voters really so shallow?

Serial rebel Corbyn is still there, and Tory whip-dodger IDS hung around a bit too. There are better reasons for opposing Gove: the main ones being the public does not like him and he could start a fight in a phone box. Though it must be admitted that Dominic Cummings as head of the civil service might add to the gaiety of the nation.
  • felix said:

For me:

1. Javid/Hunt
    2. Hammond
    3. Gove
    300. Johnson

For me

1) Javid
    2) Hunt
    3) Johnny Mercer
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211

felix said:

For me:

1. Javid/Hunt
    2. Hammond
    3. Gove
    300. Johnson

For me

1) Javid
    2) Hunt
    3) Johnny Mercer
    Aye, great, indeed illustrious, minds think alike. Won’t be Johnny though....but Defence Secretary under Sajid or Jeremy in a few years time? Tom Tugendhart is also impressing.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401

felix said:

For me:

1. Javid/Hunt
    2. Hammond
    3. Gove
    300. Johnson

For me

1) Javid
    2) Hunt
    3) Johnny Mercer
    Can I join in?

1) Patel
    2) McVey
    3) Truss
    4) Mogg
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

Support JRM.

Keep voting Lib Dem?
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

felix said:

For me:

1. Javid/Hunt
    2. Hammond
    3. Gove
    300. Johnson

For me

1) Javid
    2) Hunt
    3) Johnny Mercer
    Can I join in?

1) Patel
    2) McVey
    3) Truss
    4) Mogg
    1) Lidington
    2) Gauke
    3) Hunt
    4) McVey
    5) Javid

But tbh anyone other than Boris Johnson or Jacob Rees-Mogg will do me.

felix said:

For me:

1. Javid/Hunt
    2. Hammond
    3. Gove
    300. Johnson

For me

1) Javid
    2) Hunt
    3) Johnny Mercer
    I've backed Javid, Hunt and Hammond.

I had backed Boris but have laid it back after the Corbyn antisemitism row because Boris is vulnerable on similar grounds so MPs won't risk him.

I still think Hammond is value provided we get any sort of smooth Brexit as reality converges with what he said (or read from a Treasury brief) when all this kicked off. After Brexit MPs will be looking for a safe pair of hands and a quiet life, not more excitement from a true believer.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

felix said:

For me:

1. Javid/Hunt
    2. Hammond
    3. Gove
    300. Johnson

For me

1) Javid
    2) Hunt
    3) Johnny Mercer
    What about Penny Mordaunt?
  • JohnO said:

felix said:

For me:

1. Javid/Hunt
    2. Hammond
    3. Gove
    300. Johnson

For me

1) Javid
    2) Hunt
    3) Johnny Mercer
    Aye, great, indeed illustrious, minds think alike. Won’t be Johnny though....but Defence Secretary under Sajid or Jeremy in a few years time? Tom Tugendhart is also impressing.
    I like Tom very much.

I suspect he'll be the next leader but one.

He'd nail Corbyn's bollocks to the wall on foreign and military policy.

felix said:

For me:

1. Javid/Hunt
    2. Hammond
    3. Gove
    300. Johnson

For me

1) Javid
    2) Hunt
    3) Johnny Mercer
    Can I join in?

1) Patel
    2) McVey
    3) Truss
    4) Mogg
    Haha lol roflmao. The other contributors were taking the question seriously.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    TOPPING said:

Ben Stokes pls note: Danny Cipriani is how to handle a court case.

Cipriani clearly has escapology talents beyond those of Stokes: "picked up by police but managed to escape from his cuffs...".
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043

felix said:

For me:

1. Javid/Hunt
    2. Hammond
    3. Gove
    300. Johnson

For me

1) Javid
    2) Hunt
    3) Johnny Mercer
    Can I join in?

1) Patel
    2) McVey
    3) Truss
    4) Mogg
    what's this? a list of the most right people in parliament?
  • Danny565 said:

felix said:

For me:

1. Javid/Hunt
    2. Hammond
    3. Gove
    300. Johnson

For me

1) Javid
    2) Hunt
    3) Johnny Mercer
    My wallet would be happy, but I'm not a fan.

She's not my cup of tea, and she was one of the organisers of the March for Leadsom.

Honestly had I been Tory leader/Chief Whip at the time, I'd have expelled from the party anyone who attended that rally.
    edited August 2018
    From my perspective, I would probably prefer Gove to be next Tory leader. I feel he'd be a pretty good opponent for Labour to face at the next election, but he also seems semi-sane by Tory standards, so he wouldn't f' up the country in the meantime. Maybe Jeremy Hunt for similar reasons.

If I was a Tory supporter, concerned purely with who gives the best chance of winning an election, I'd probably go for Boris tbh (much as I think he'd be a God-awful PM). I just don't see anyone in the current Cabinet who is any more 'user-friendly' than Mrs May is; Javid seems to be the latest commentariat darling, but he comes across as incredibly charmless in interviews.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211

JohnO said:

felix said:

For me:

1. Javid/Hunt
    2. Hammond
    3. Gove
    300. Johnson

For me

1) Javid
    2) Hunt
    3) Johnny Mercer
    I like Tom very much.

Hope so...but needs a Ministerial job first - ditto Mercer - and one on the domestic/economic side to show he has what it takes.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Just who you need to calm the markets.

https://twitter.com/brexit/status/1030042828238286848?s=21
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    Boris is the only show in town. Burka-Gate was a masterstroke: it painted the rest of the Tory party as craven, politically-correct ninnies, whilst Boris alone was the speaker of forbidden truths and champion of the downtrodden and the silenced. He has the membership eating out of his hand, and the Brexit Ultras in parliament are already his. He just has to persuade the remaining MPs that dull but capable won't be enough to defeat the looming horror of Jezza and he's there.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

1) Lidington
    2) Gauke
    3) Hunt
    4) McVey
    5) Javid

That's an interesting selection because you've rightly identified some cabinet ministers who are currently off the radar, but are gaining the vital experience of how government at the highest level actually works. This is the crucial reason why it has to be current or past cabinet minister, and preferably a senior one, for a mid-term in-government switchover.

For me, as things stand today, I don't think there are many who do have the right experience and who are potentially capable of commanding the support of colleagues and the party. I'd go:

1) Hunt or Javid, with Hunt just edging it
    2) Gove

300) Boris
    Aaagh no!) JRM

There are however several others who in a year or so's time might be up to speed, so this is a fluid situation.

Pity about Amber...

Danny565 said:

felix said:

For me:

1. Javid/Hunt
    2. Hammond
    3. Gove
    300. Johnson

For me

1) Javid
    2) Hunt
    3) Johnny Mercer
    My wallet would be happy, but I'm not a fan.

She's not my cup of tea, and she was one of the organisers of the March for Leadsom.

Honestly had I been Tory leader/Chief Whip at the time, I'd have expelled from the party anyone who attended that rally.
    And wouldnt the world have been better as a consequence
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

JohnO said:

felix said:

For me:

1. Javid/Hunt
    2. Hammond
    3. Gove
    300. Johnson

For me

1) Javid
    2) Hunt
    3) Johnny Mercer
    I like Tom very much.

Anybody who was Green Slime in Afghanistan and Iraq might have a few enhanced interrogated skeletons in the cupboard...
    I'm still morbidly intrigued to see what a Gavin Williamson leadership campaign would look like. I hope his political standing doesn't plunge so low that he doesn't even attempt to run.

Boris is the only show in town. Burka-Gate was a masterstroke: it painted the rest of the Tory party as craven, politically-correct ninnies, whilst Boris alone was the speaker of forbidden truths and champion of the downtrodden and the silenced. He has the membership eating out of his hand, and the Brexit Ultras in parliament are already his. He just has to persuade the remaining MPs that dull but capable won't be enough to defeat the looming horror of Jezza and he's there.

Looks that way to me now. I have upped my exposure on Boris. Hunt would be big pay day, but honestly, at the moment, I think only Boris can beat Jezza, and the backbenchers will come to the same conclusion.
  • Danny565 said:

I'm still morbidly intrigued to see what a Gavin Williamson leadership campaign would look like. I hope his political standing doesn't plunge so low that he doesn't even attempt to run.

He'd play the role of Zanzibar in The Anglo-Zanzibar War.
    Danny565 said:

I'm still morbidly intrigued to see what a Gavin Williamson leadership campaign would look like....

'Lonely' is the word that first comes to mind.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401

The problem for him is that most MPs will think that "dull but capable" will be fine to beat Corbyn, and that after 6 years of ideologically-driven Brexit, the electorate might appreciate a bit of dullness.

That said, it's not an either-or.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    That was a genuinely funny opening tweet from the toady. First time for everything.

That was a genuinely funny opening tweet from the toady. First time for everything.
    Yeh, Owen should have just shot back with a joke, rather than, as ever, going all class war.

How about, "I know I look young because I've managed to keep all my own hair, but..."
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

As someone professionally impressed by Gove, I don't get the hostility among some Tories and indeed the wider public. Yes, teachers don't like him. But otherwise, what seems to be the problem?
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Danny565 said:

He'd play the role of Zanzibar in The Anglo-Zanzibar War.
    You think he'd last the full 38 minutes? Big call.

felix said:

For me:

1. Javid/Hunt
    2. Hammond
    3. Gove
    300. Johnson

For me

1) Javid
    2) Hunt
    3) Johnny Mercer
    Can I join in?

1) Patel
    2) McVey
    3) Truss
    4) Mogg
    Preferred Tory leader.

Remember, I'm a Labourite.

felix said:

For me:

1. Javid/Hunt
    2. Hammond
    3. Gove
    300. Johnson

For me

1) Javid
    2) Hunt
    3) Johnny Mercer
    Can I join in?

1) Patel
    2) McVey
    3) Truss
    4) Mogg
    It's the list of a Labour supporter with a high sex drive!

The problem for him is that most MPs will think that "dull but capable" will be fine to beat Corbyn, and that after 6 years of ideologically-driven Brexit, the electorate might appreciate a bit of dullness.

A family member, who I regard as a bell-weather voter, who like most voters only pays fleeting attention to these things, told me the other day that 'Boris was right, we should ban the burkha, like France'. This person was stunned to be told that Boris had actually said it should not be banned.

I wonder how many other voters have thought the same?
  • I see Morris Dancer has been tutoring Ainsley Earhardt in history.

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1030041181164658688

1) Lidington
    2) Gauke
    3) Hunt
    4) McVey
    5) Javid

That's an interesting selection because you've rightly identified some cabinet ministers who are currently off the radar, but are gaining the vital experience of how government at the highest level actually works. This is the crucial reason why it has to be current or past cabinet minister, and preferably a senior one, for a mid-term in-government switchover.

For me, as things stand today, I don't think there are many who do have the right experience and who are potentially capable of commanding the support of colleagues and the party. I'd go:

1) Hunt or Javid, with Hunt just edging it
    2) Gove

300) Boris
    Aaagh no!) JRM

There are however several others who in a year or so's time might be up to speed, so this is a fluid situation.

Pity about Amber...
    Yup they got rudd of her!
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401

David Herdson on a Thursday, my whole world is askew.

Yeah - I was on holiday last week, hence the absence of weekend articles. I'm still on annual leave so thought I'd drop an extra one in. Normal service will be resumed on Saturday.

Yes - little Owen clearly stung!
  • kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393
    Dura_Ace said:

JohnO said:

felix said:

For me:

1. Javid/Hunt
    2. Hammond
    3. Gove
    300. Johnson

For me

1) Javid
    2) Hunt
    3) Johnny Mercer
    I like Tom very much.

Anybody who was Green Slime in Afghanistan and Iraq might have a few enhanced interrogated skeletons in the cupboard...
    this might not be the disadvantage you seem to think it is.

I see Morris Dancer has been tutoring Ainsley Earhardt in history.

I think that makes them 'special' rather than 'great'...
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766
    I used to buy the telegraph. It has become a joke. It is now just a porn-mag for Colonel Blimps and neo-fascist Brexit fanatics. The odd thing is that in spite of all it's jingoistic rhetoric, it can't tell the difference between a Spitfire and Hurricane when it has a picture on its front page!

A family member, who I regard as a bell-weather voter, who like most voters only pays fleeting attention to these things, told me the other day that 'Boris was right, we should ban the burkha, like France'. This person was stunned to be told that Boris had actually said it should not be banned.

A neat illustration of how dogwhistles work.
    edited August 2018
    The other very important point to note - especially if you're betting - is that the sands can shift much more rapidly than people expect. Javid is now one of the front-runners, but when I surveyed the contenders as recently as April 27th he was 50/1 for Next Leader at Ladbrokes (and longer for Next PM, of course):

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/1905983/#Comment_1905983
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    Nigelb said:

A neat illustration of how dogwhistles work.
    Yep I have had the same conversation.
    It happened to me all those years ago :( . Where is she now I wonder?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718

Took until Easter for me, but I’m sure the feeling’s the same.

It happened to my wife's then boyfriend...
  • As a good Muslim boy I went to university without a girlfriend back home.
    Nigelb said:

Who won in Vietnam? Just asking!

As someone professionally impressed by Gove, I don't get the hostility among some Tories and indeed the wider public. Yes, teachers don't like him. But otherwise, what seems to be the problem?
    A good question. He has more credibility and integrity than his erstwhile chum and fellow journo-politician, but there is something slightly unpleasant about him that it is difficult to put one's finger on. Maybe it is smugness.

Was he a very handsome lad from Rutland by any chance?

Was he a very handsome lad from Rutland by any chance?
    LOL, no!

A good question. He has more credibility and integrity than his erstwhile chum and fellow journo-politician, but there is something slightly unpleasant about him that it is difficult to put one's finger on. Maybe it is smugness.
    TBH, his wife doesn’t come acoss as particularly pleasant, either. Which doesn’t help him.
  • IanB2 said:

All presentation and no content? Are we the voters really so shallow?
    Yes they are. We live in an era of dumbed down education, Love Island and Trump. Those of us on PB are an irrelevance to society - we are outnumbered. It's bread and circuses now.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    During my first week at BRNC the Commander of the College told us that those that had girlfriends at home should "stop being c***struck and get rid pronto". It was interesting to note that 100% of those that failed to follow this pithy advice failed to complete the course.

Gove has one of those things which is the ultimate curse of a politician - a punchable face.

He also seems to try a bit too hard to be your mate. Faux chumminess is another curse.

But he is very bright and he seems to have settled in well to Environment. My lefty chums find him surprisingly acceptable in that post.

Nigelb said:

The Vietnamese. Every time.
    edited August 2018
    On reflection I suppose I did the reverse; dumped my then girl-friend when I went off to college.
    Experience from the previous year when I was the dumped suggested it there’d be many new opportunities......
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2018
    For me, Gove falls into the trap of believing that all you need to do to succeed is be the smartest guy chap in the room. I've met many like him, and they never quite make it, due to their lack of emotional intelligence.

That said, I do rather admire him, and a Govite government would undoubtedly be more than a dull tinkerocracy.
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    The standout candidate is Gavin Williamson.

Mature, erudite, personable and insightful, he the man with the wit and ideas to lead Britain out into the world.
    Anazina said:

Mature, erudite, personable and insightful, he the man with the wit and ideas to lead Britain out into the world.

Nurse!

Gove has one of those things which is the ultimate curse of a politician - a punchable face.

He also seems to try a bit too hard to be your mate. Faux chumminess is another curse.

But he is very bright and he seems to have settled in well to Environment. My lefty chums find him surprisingly acceptable in that post.
    Haha, yes you probably have nailed it. As someone who generally doesn't believe in violence (except when I used to play No6 when I was still young enough to play rugby), I have often worried how some public figures do have faces that bring out violent thoughts. I guess it will also align to some extent with one's values. The "Punchable face" top three for me would be Trump, Farage, Corbyn. The last one really troubles me as Corbyn is clearly such a weed, even when he was young. Perhaps a small slap or poke in the eye might be more appropriate?

TBH, his wife doesn’t come acoss as particularly pleasant, either. Which doesn’t help him.
    You read my mind. I was literally thinking the same thing.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

Gove does rather love plotting and gossip, perhaps explaining some of his popularity on PB.

He is rather Quixiotic in his undertakings, and while he does create change, is not a good finisher and leaves a mess behind for others to clear up. Brexit is just one of several examples of this.
    Anazina said:
    Let's just call them alt-dealers and be completely down with the kids.
    John_M said:

Anazina said:

Nurse!
    It's the Green Light for Gavin – the people's choice.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Not only is it a sin for Corbyn to attend a pro-Palestinian conference, it's now also a sin to attend a conference which Corbyn attended:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/16/conservatives-call-for-lord-sheikh-to-be-expelled-from-party

Can you really blame the sector of the public who say they're not following this stuff?
    edited August 2018
    Anazina said:

John_M said:

Anazina said:

Nurse!
    What is it about the Williamsons on either side of the political divide?

Both *******.

(IMO).
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

Nigelb said:

Indeed have the Yanks ever defeated the Communists in a hot war? Korea was a draw, Cuba a defeat, Vietnam a defeat, Nicaragua too.

edited August 2018
    Anazina said:

John_M said:

Anazina said:

Nurse!
    It's time for my favourite picture of Gavin, the lobotomised person's thinking man.

The thought bubble above every squaddie's head reads 'Knob'.
  • PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Anazina said:

Don`t you find him sexy as well?
    TOPPING said:

Anazina said:

John_M said:

Anazina said:

Nurse!
    What is it about the Williamsons on either side of the political divide?

Both *******.

(IMO).
    Imagine Chris and Gavin leading a Government of National Unity – 

Williamson and Williamson, brothers from a different mother, the perfect match for UK Plc.
This discussion has been closed.