Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Outsiders have rarely become PM – but that doesn’t mean they c

Comments

• BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    John_M said:

Anazina said:

John_M said:

Anazina said:

The standout candidate is Gavin Williamson.

Mature, erudite, personable and insightful, he the man with the wit and ideas to lead Britain out into the world.

Nurse!
    It's the Green Light for Gavin – the people's choice.
    It's time for my favourite picture of Gavin, the lobotomised person's thinking man.

The thought bubble above every squaddie's head reads 'Knob'.
    disagree.

one on the far left: "will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?"
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082
    Anazina said:

TOPPING said:

Anazina said:

John_M said:

Anazina said:

Mature, erudite, personable and insightful, he the man with the wit and ideas to lead Britain out into the world.

Nurse!
    What is it about the Williamsons on either side of the political divide?

Both *******.

(IMO).
    Imagine Chris and Gavin leading a Government of National Unity – 

Williamson and Williamson, brothers from a different mother, the perfect match for UK Plc.
    Chris Williamson would be a good Minister of War. Defence would be too supine for him.
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

I see Morris Dancer has been tutoring Ainsley Earhardt in history.

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1030041181164658688

I think that makes them 'special' rather than 'great'...
    Who won in Vietnam? Just asking!
    Indeed have the Yanks ever defeated the Communists in a hot war? Korea was a draw, Cuba a defeat, Vietnam a defeat, Nicaragua too.

Grenada.
  • surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    John_M said:

For me, Gove falls into the trap of believing that all you need to do to succeed is be the smartest guy chap in the room. I've met many like him, and they never quite make it, due to their lack of emotional intelligence.

That said, I do rather admire him, and a Govite government would undoubtedly be more than a dull tinkerocracy.

Have you seen him walk ?
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Foxy said:

Anazina said:

TOPPING said:

Anazina said:

John_M said:

Anazina said:

Nurse!
    What is it about the Williamsons on either side of the political divide?

Both *******.

(IMO).
    Imagine Chris and Gavin leading a Government of National Unity – 

Williamson and Williamson, brothers from a different mother, the perfect match for UK Plc.
    Chris Williamson would be a good Minister of War. Defence would be too supine for him.
    He'd be the first undead cabinet minister, a victory for diversity if nothing else.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725
    Scott_P said:
    Dan Hodges and Guido read the morning Star

What next FU edits SkwawkBox!!!

Interesting article on there about Sussex FOI BTW but i will spare you!!
    surby said:

John_M said:

For me, Gove falls into the trap of believing that all you need to do to succeed is be the smartest guy chap in the room. I've met many like him, and they never quite make it, due to their lack of emotional intelligence.

That said, I do rather admire him, and a Govite government would undoubtedly be more than a dull tinkerocracy.

Have you seen him walk ?
    Well, no. I've always assumed he was bipedal and therefore didn't take much of an interest.
  • Chris Williamson shouldn’t be near any positions of power. He’s totally nuts.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766

Not only is it a sin for Corbyn to attend a pro-Palestinian conference, it's now also a sin to attend a conference which Corbyn attended:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/16/conservatives-call-for-lord-sheikh-to-be-expelled-from-party

Can you really blame the sector of the public who say they're not following this stuff?

I don't think anyone regards attending a pro-Palestinian conference necessarily as a "sin", or even necessarily stupid, unless you are seen to be given succour to terrorists. Apologists for Corbyn continue to suggest that his behaviour is forgivable, or that any criticism is a "smear", and neither assertion has any credibility. If TMay was seen at a gathering that attempted to excuse or honour members of the Apartheid regime she would be rightly condemned by people like you. Moderate Labour figures like you Nick make me very angry as you are doing nothing to remove this cancerous leader from your party thereby condemning the country to hideous choice at the next election. Do something about it rather than sucking up to him.
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Chris Williamson shouldn’t be near any positions of power. He’s totally nuts.

Williamson is PM in waiting. In fact PM is probably beneath him. I would see him more as a sort of world president, empowered by the US, EU, Nato and UN to lead our planet into a better future.

David Herdson on a Thursday, my whole world is askew.

Yup. I didn't realise he was away. David is always a good read.
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Indeed have the Yanks ever defeated the Communists in a hot war? Korea was a draw, Cuba a defeat, Vietnam a defeat, Nicaragua too.

Grenada - but they had Clint Eastwood to help them there.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

But yes Gove is the one to watch

Michael Gove has somewhat less chance than George Osborne.
    As someone professionally impressed by Gove, I don't get the hostility among some Tories and indeed the wider public. Yes, teachers don't like him. But otherwise, what seems to be the problem?
    A good question. He has more credibility and integrity than his erstwhile chum and fellow journo-politician, but there is something slightly unpleasant about him that it is difficult to put one's finger on. Maybe it is smugness.
    TBH, his wife doesn’t come acoss as particularly pleasant, either. Which doesn’t help him.
    She made such a compelling case for Brexit before the referendum.

https://twitter.com/WestminsterWAG/status/741018080290217985
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961

But yes Gove is the one to watch

Michael Gove has somewhat less chance than George Osborne.
    As someone professionally impressed by Gove, I don't get the hostility among some Tories and indeed the wider public. Yes, teachers don't like him. But otherwise, what seems to be the problem?
    A good question. He has more credibility and integrity than his erstwhile chum and fellow journo-politician, but there is something slightly unpleasant about him that it is difficult to put one's finger on. Maybe it is smugness.
    Gove has one of those things which is the ultimate curse of a politician - a punchable face.

He also seems to try a bit too hard to be your mate. Faux chumminess is another curse.

But he is very bright and he seems to have settled in well to Environment. My lefty chums find him surprisingly acceptable in that post.
    Haha, yes you probably have nailed it. As someone who generally doesn't believe in violence (except when I used to play No6 when I was still young enough to play rugby), I have often worried how some public figures do have faces that bring out violent thoughts. I guess it will also align to some extent with one's values. The "Punchable face" top three for me would be Trump, Farage, Corbyn. The last one really troubles me as Corbyn is clearly such a weed, even when he was young. Perhaps a small slap or poke in the eye might be more appropriate?
    A Chinese burn might be appropriate....
    Anazina said:

Sorry, thought that was your "punchable face" winner.....
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited August 2018

Not only is it a sin for Corbyn to attend a pro-Palestinian conference, it's now also a sin to attend a conference which Corbyn attended:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/16/conservatives-call-for-lord-sheikh-to-be-expelled-from-party

Can you really blame the sector of the public who say they're not following this stuff?

I don't think anyone regards attending a pro-Palestinian conference necessarily as a "sin", or even necessarily stupid, unless you are seen to be given succour to terrorists. Apologists for Corbyn continue to suggest that his behaviour is forgivable, or that any criticism is a "smear", and neither assertion has any credibility. If TMay was seen at a gathering that attempted to excuse or honour members of the Apartheid regime she would be rightly condemned by people like you. Moderate Labour figures like you Nick make me very angry as you are doing nothing to remove this cancerous leader from your party thereby condemning the country to hideous choice at the next election. Do something about it rather than sucking up to him.
    Interesting also, that in Nick's mind and in his post this morning, Corbyn's anti-Westernism has become "anti-Americanism". Because of course the country that Corbyn wants to be Prime Minister of is a part of the West and it would be ridiculous, would it not, for someone to want to become PM of a country which is part of the problem.

That is how Nick and others like him weasel all this away. I like Nick an awful lot (PB Nick that is, never actually met the real Nick), but this IMO is a huge blind spot for him.

Corbyn allegedly met terrorists. Whereas Menachem Begin was a proper terrorist. He bombed the King David's Hotel in which 28 Britons were killed. In all, 91 died.

I do not think it was appropriate for Prince William to stay at that hotel.

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,586

John_M said:

Anazina said:

John_M said:

Anazina said:

Nurse!
    It's time for my favourite picture of Gavin, the lobotomised person's thinking man.

disagree.

one on the far left: "will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?"
    I thought - horse unable to tell difference between root vegetable & Williamson’s bonce.
    The long and winding road to Irish unity

https://sluggerotoole.com/2018/08/16/the-long-and-winding-road-to-irish-unity/

How this will all look, and sound of course, is anyone’s guess. However, for anyone who watched it, a tantalising glimpse of this future was given in the recent “leaders debate” at the Feile an Phobail, during which political leaders and representatives of all the main parties North and South shared a platform together, and faced this very topic coming at them first off the bat. I’ll admit, as something of a undecided voter myself, the sheer novelty and dynamic of seeing our well-known politicians having to up their game before a Belfast audience with professional and heavyweight operators such as Simon Harris from Fine Gael, and Lisa Chambers from Fianna Fail, seemed like another milestone in itself: like journey-men football players getting a taste of the Champions League for the first time, and the results were fascinating. Currently, there’s a massive political crisis blowing up across the water, but outside of the Northern Irish aspect to the Brexit debate, the wider machinations of British politics – which cabinet minister said what, who is plotting against who, and who’s next in line to be sacked – has never really felt relevant or spoke to me in the way this did. It was fresh, exciting, and the audience loved it; in short, a world away from the tedious drudgery and never-ending pettiness that has put many of us off any real interest in Northern Ireland politics until Brexit came along and changed everything. And I watched it, I thought to myself, for the first real time in my life, is this what this debate is going to look and sound like? And has some degree of All-Ireland politics already arrived?
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

It doesn't alter the fact of what Corbyn is and stands for. It says a lot negatively that you support such a man.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725
    I don't have anyone on a punchable face list.

I am a man of peace like Jezza

Though I did download ding dong the witch is dead which in hindsight was pretty childish
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    I’d be happy to see any of the following win the leadership:

Gove
    Javid
    Hunt
    Hinds
    McVey

I think Hammond would be a disaster, a nice chap but basically invisible. Makes May look like a PR guru. Appointing from the back benches won’t work unless it’s a unity candidate.

Anazina said:

You are right, 'Gazza' Williamson packs a real punch. He's the face of the future.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    Waahey, haven't had a 'Paddys are just like us reely' cretinism for a wee while.

https://twitter.com/KeohaneDan/status/1030006274811936768
  • ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,501
    edited August 2018
    Anazina said:

<*sarc*>Mature, erudite, personable and insightful, he the man with the wit and ideas to lead Britain out into the world.<*/sarc*>

Fixed it for you.

Seriously his voice is so bad that you can't actually listen to what he's saying. Plus the film clip of his interview being terminated will follow him forever.
    https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/05/watch-gavin-williamson-gets-terminated/

Waahey, haven't had a 'Paddys are just like us reely' cretinism for a wee while.

We should be begging the RoI to take NI off our hands. "No really, it would break our hearts to see a united Ireland, but tell you what, three packets of Jaffa Cakes and it's all yours".
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

You are right, 'Gazza' Williamson packs a real punch. He's the face of the future.
    I had him down more as the most kickable arse, which would make him..
    John_M said:

We should be begging the RoI to take NI off our hands. "No really, it would break our hearts to see a united Ireland, but tell you what, three packets of Jaffa Cakes and it's all yours".
    It’s the DUP you need to bribe, and it will take more than three packets of Jaffa Cakes.

Anazina said:

<*sarc*>Mature, erudite, personable and insightful, he the man with the wit and ideas to lead Britain out into the world.<*/sarc*>

Fixed it for you.

Seriously his voice is so bad that you can't actually listen to what he's saying. Plus the film clip of his interview being terminated will follow him forever.
    https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/05/watch-gavin-williamson-gets-terminated/
    Williamson transcends verbal communication and media interviews. Those who are on his higher plain immerse themselves in his ideas without the use of primitive discourse.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,724

John_M said:

It’s the DUP you need to bribe, and it will take more than three packets of Jaffa Cakes.
    A lifetime supply of bowler hats?
    Mortimer said:

I’d be happy to see any of the following win the leadership:

Gove
    Javid
    Hunt
    Hinds
    McVey

I think Hammond would be a disaster, a nice chap but basically invisible. Makes May look like a PR guru. Appointing from the back benches won’t work unless it’s a unity candidate.

McVey is obviously crackers, Gove unelectable and I have never heard of Hinds. Gavin "The G-Dog" Williamson is the man you need – if you can persuade him to stand. I suspect he has his eye on greater things than UK PM.
    Turkish Lira continues its bounce back. Now close to $1 = TL 5.75.

Meanwhile, the Indian Rupee is tanking.

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

There is more innovative talent in Big Willy's left bum cheek than in the rest of Westminster combined. Kick his arse, he farts ideas.
    Nigelb said:

John_M said:

Anazina said:

John_M said:

Anazina said:

Nurse!

disagree.

I thought - horse unable to tell difference between root vegetable & Williamson’s bonce.
    Good one!

- _-
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,545
    Criminal stupidity:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45205880

Using your own phone to call in a bomb hoax ...
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I see that 97.6% of A Level students managed at least an E grade pass this year. Under the earlier Relative Marking system 30% of pupils failed to get an E grade or higher. No sign of grade inflation there!

Criminal stupidity:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45205880

Using your own phone to call in a bomb hoax ...

He is French!
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    When is London going to get dedicated cycle lanes?

https://news.sky.com/story/queens-doctor-peter-fisher-dies-in-cycling-collision-11474003

"Queen's doctor Peter Fisher dies in 'cycling collision'
    Police are investigating the death of a 67-year-old cyclist in central London following reports of a collision with a lorry."
  • Nigelb said:

John_M said:

Anazina said:

John_M said:

Anazina said:

Nurse!

disagree.

The picture is basically a Giles cartoon
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    John_M said:

Does the Republic want the £9bn cost of bankrolling NI to the same level the UK does or the cost of raising pensions to the more generous ROI levels. Do people in NI want to lose the NHS and pay 50 euro to see a GP or 70 euro a night in hospital if they earn over 15000 euro as a family - even children over 7 have to pay unless they have cancer!

Like Scottish independence it isn't a win win - any transition will be messy.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I see it's student totty news day.
    brendan16 said:

John_M said:

Does the Republic want the £9bn cost of bankrolling NI to the same level the UK does or the cost of raising pensions to the more generous ROI levels. Do people in NI want to lose the NHS and pay 50 euro to see a GP or 70 euro a night in hospital if they earn over 15000 euro as a family - even children over 7 have to pay unless they have cancer!

Like Scottish independence it isn't a win win - any transition will be messy.
    Won’t some of the £9bn come from the EU?

Agree though that it’ll be messy. I do wonder if some Norn Protestants will decide to come to rUK!
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    AndyJS said:

When is London going to get dedicated cycle lanes?

https://news.sky.com/story/queens-doctor-peter-fisher-dies-in-cycling-collision-11474003

"Queen's doctor Peter Fisher dies in 'cycling collision'
    Police are investigating the death of a 67-year-old cyclist in central London following reports of a collision with a lorry."

There Are lots of them - and for much of the day they are barely used while buses and taxis and cars are stuck in gridlock as they move along at a snails pace in one lane.

Good afternoon, everyone.

I see it's student totty news day.

The BBC lead has a picture of a bloke in a hijab.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

I'd say that Korea was an allied victory, if not a complete victory.

I can't remember if the US took part in anti-communist fighting in Greece in 1947/48.
    Aretha Franklin has died. RIP
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Oh dear, I'm not sure this is the smartest of moves if they want to move the story on:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/16/labour-complains-to-regulator-over-coverage-of-cemetery-visit
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Sad news.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited August 2018
    Zac Goldsmith has called for the sacking of Lord Sheikh. ........

The same Zac Goldsmith whose mayoral campaign was described by fellow Conservatives as 'disgusting'

Chancing his arm isn't he?

Oh dear, I'm not sure this is the smartest of moves if they want to move the story on:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/16/labour-complains-to-regulator-over-coverage-of-cemetery-visit

"the media has seriously misrepresented the event, misidentified those buried in the cemetery and underplayed the role of mainstream Palestinian leaders conducting the ceremony."

No more raking over those images then...much.

Say a little prayer.....
    AndyJS said:

Sad news.
    Pancreatic cancer is one of the bad ones!

"the media has seriously misrepresented the event, misidentified those buried in the cemetery and underplayed the role of mainstream Palestinian leaders conducting the ceremony."

And they didn't check the veracity of J. Corbyn's statement that J. Corbyn hadn't been involved in laying a wreath. They obviously need to apologise for that.
    edited August 2018
    King Cole, well, people have their own preferences. I'm not going to judge anyone who's into transvestite religious stuff.

Edited extra bit: for that matter, there's some religious cross-dressing in the third chapter of Sir Edric's Kingdom.

#progressive
    F1: Sainz to McLaren:
    https://twitter.com/Carlossainz55/status/1030065947476934656

Not unexpected, although I thought that Alonso might go to Red Bull.

Gasly very strong favourite now for that seat.

King Cole, well, people have their own preferences. I'm not going to judge anyone who's into transvestite religious stuff.

Edited extra bit: for that matter, there's some religious cross-dressing in the third chapter of Sir Edric's Kingdom.

#progressive

LOL. Had to think about that for a minute!
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    justin124 said:

I see that 97.6% of A Level students managed at least an E grade pass this year. Under the earlier Relative Marking system 30% of pupils failed to get an E grade or higher. No sign of grade inflation there!

Not sure you have an A grade handle on how relative marking works.
    King Cole, only done it the once (not ordered much recently) but a pancreatic cancer charity was the one I nominated for my Amazon Smile order (it's just Amazon but they donate 0.5% the value of your order to a charity).

It's amongst the worst funded areas for cancer research. Breast cancer gets feminists going, testicular cancer has comedy value, but there's no real hook people have for the pancreas. It's just a squidgy lump hidden a little below the right rib. Rather sad that lack of a strong sense of it means funding is poor so people who get that cancer are significantly more likely to die.

[Obviously, you can die of any cancer but the rates vary significantly].
    AndyJS said:

Sad news.
    Indeed, a great talent
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited August 2018

F1: Sainz to McLaren:
    https://twitter.com/Carlossainz55/status/1030065947476934656

Not unexpected, although I thought that Alonso might go to Red Bull.

Gasly very strong favourite now for that seat.

I would have said there was never a chance as they are going for Honda power.
    Alonso and Honda are incompatible
    Roger said:

Zac Goldsmith has called for the sacking of Lord Sheikh. ........

The same Zac Goldsmith whose mayoral campaign was described by fellow Conservatives as 'disgusting'

Chancing his arm isn't he?

Silly boy. Once more making a thorough prat of himself
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    justin124 said:

Clearly a sign of Gove's brilliance as EdSec. Next year they should let boys take A-levels too (annual joke).

Can we please start having IQ and EQ tests for MPs before they are allowed to take their seats. What an utter idiot.
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Ishmael_Z said:

justin124 said:

Any exam where less then 2.5% of candidates fail is pitched too low in terms of difficulty. I don't want any student to fail unnecessarily. But A levels are there to test people, to push them.

Designing an exam where near enough 100% of candidates pass is just wrong.

King Cole, only done it the once (not ordered much recently) but a pancreatic cancer charity was the one I nominated for my Amazon Smile order (it's just Amazon but they donate 0.5% the value of your order to a charity).

It's amongst the worst funded areas for cancer research. Breast cancer gets feminists going, testicular cancer has comedy value, but there's no real hook people have for the pancreas. It's just a squidgy lump hidden a little below the right rib. Rather sad that lack of a strong sense of it means funding is poor so people who get that cancer are significantly more likely to die.

Prostate cancer for me. At the moment anyway, until I get told they don’t want to check me any more. then it’s back to MND, which took our daughter.
    edited August 2018

If this is the Labour complaint verbatim copied from: (https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/16/labour-complains-to-regulator-over-coverage-of-cemetery-visit )

it rather undermines the claim they make

The Labour party has formally complained to the press regulator, Ipso, about the coverage by several British newspapers of Jeremy Corbyn’s decision to lay a wreath at a cemetery in Tunisia.

by saying it was his decision to lay a wreath......

justin124 said:

Clearly a sign of Gove's brilliance as EdSec. Next year they should let boys take A-levels too (annual joke).
    It should make anyone with two Grade E's at A Level feel better.....

Ishmael_Z said:

justin124 said:

Any exam where less then 2.5% of candidates fail is pitched too low in terms of difficulty. I don't want any student to fail unnecessarily. But A levels are there to test people, to push them.

Designing an exam where near enough 100% of candidates pass is just wrong.
    Seem to recall being told by an military man that failing a course was a reflection on the instructor. He had beenon a Cambridge Uni course where the Professor apparently.... this was some years ago..... failed everyone on principle, just to show he could.

Seem to recall being told by an military man that failing a course was a reflection on the instructor. He had beenon a Cambridge Uni course where the Professor apparently.... this was some years ago..... failed everyone on principle, just to show he could.

Does he now work for Michel Barnier? ;)
    Mr. H, well, we'll never know now.

King Cole, my condolences on your loss.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Can we please start having IQ and EQ tests for MPs before they are allowed to take their seats. What an utter idiot.
    In Andrew Bridgen's case I'd be surprised if he could pass a cycling proficiency test.
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

justin124 said:

I will always be grateful to the Croydon Advertiser for the way in which they covered the annual A-Level results story in 2000. The theme was "twins" and one of the photographs they used to illustrate the article was this photo of a pair of twins who got 9 A-grades between them:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkuArk9WsAEeHI1.jpg

philiph said:

If this is the Labour complaint verbatim copied from: (https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/16/labour-complains-to-regulator-over-coverage-of-cemetery-visit )

it rather undermines the claim they make

The Labour party has formally complained to the press regulator, Ipso, about the coverage by several British newspapers of Jeremy Corbyn’s decision to lay a wreath at a cemetery in Tunisia.

by saying it was his decision to lay a wreath......
    Hush! Don't tell BJO....

justin124 said:

I am not sure Comrade Corbyn will be commenting on this story. Though he might say "I went to one of the top grammar schools in the country, and some say I only got two Es, but I don't think I was involved"
    Mr. Foremain, surely it'll be his teachers saying he was present, but not involved?

Mr. Foremain, surely it'll be his teachers saying he was present, but not involved?

The examination board certainly seemed to think so
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265

Moderate Labour figures like you Nick make me very angry as you are doing nothing to remove this cancerous leader from your party thereby condemning the country to hideous choice at the next election. Do something about it rather than sucking up to him.

I'm not a centrist, you know - I'm pragmatic, a different thing. It led me to support Blair and Brown because I felt that what they were doing was insufficient but mostly good (though we were all wrong about Iraq). But I'd like Labour to stand for more - by 2010 I felt we'd really run through the New Labour agenda and were thinking "Er, now what?". Tony's answer seemed to be "more privatisation and continued international intervention" and there we parted company, though I still like him personally.

I think of Corbyn as a personal friend (I've known him on and off for 40 years), I agree with most of his views, I approve of his mild style, and I note that he has a decent shot of winning. The suggestions that he's anti-semitic, pro-KKK, a terrorist sympathiser etc. seem to me obviously nonsense. So why would I seek to remove him? I can see it's different if you don't know him and believe in the accusations, but we're in different places.

As for sucking up, do you think I'm pursuing a career? It's a lovely thought, but I'm 68, with an interesting non-partisan job. Party politics is just a private hobby these days. I might stand for the council next year, but that's it.
  • King Cole, only done it the once (not ordered much recently) but a pancreatic cancer charity was the one I nominated for my Amazon Smile order (it's just Amazon but they donate 0.5% the value of your order to a charity).

I thought that the main reason that pancreatic cancer has such high mortality rates is that it tends to be diagnosed at a late stage. Lumps in the breasts and testes are noticeable; lumps in the pancreas less so.

Oh and breast cancer doesn't just get the feminists going. As one of the major killers of young women, it also gets their widowers, like me, going.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Just pausing a moment to mark Aretha Franklin’s death.

My favourite voice. Could listen to, do listen to, for hours on end.

RIP.
    Mr. Glenn, schade. Ab und zu, spiele ich Videogamen auf Deutsch.

An elderly near(ish) neighbour saw me with my Ferrari/Schumacher cap, and asked me, in German, if I spoke German. Was mildly amused she saw it as a German rather than Italian cap.
    Haha, indeed Mr Glenn. If Andrew Bridgen might fail an IQ test, if there were such a thing to get into parliament, Gisela might fail the EQ test. That said, she is probably still seen as the darling of the more jingoistic leaver fraternity even though they probably snigger "achtung Spitfire" behind her back
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    John_M said:

Jaffa Cakes and NI both having smashing orangey bits in the middle?
    Does Tom Watson approve of the decision to report the papers to the Press Regulators or not? It is hard to tell

https://twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1030097429486624768
    The pressing question is who will England leave out of the squad for Trent Bridge, and to stay on topic, how will it influence the choice of the next Conservative Party leader?
  • FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Something to do with idiots like you promoting Brexit?
    Mr. Enjineeya, I didn't mean to imply that only feminists care, what I meant was that because they in particular especially care it helps with publicity and fundraising, advancing medical research (likewise, testicular cancer is a serious thing etc).

My condolences on your loss.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Moderate Labour figures like you Nick make me very angry as you are doing nothing to remove this cancerous leader from your party thereby condemning the country to hideous choice at the next election. Do something about it rather than sucking up to him.

I'm not a centrist, you know - I'm pragmatic, a different thing. It led me to support Blair and Brown because I felt that what they were doing was insufficient but mostly good (though we were all wrong about Iraq). But I'd like Labour to stand for more - by 2010 I felt we'd really run through the New Labour agenda and were thinking "Er, now what?". Tony's answer seemed to be "more privatisation and continued international intervention" and there we parted company, though I still like him personally.

I think of Corbyn as a personal friend (I've known him on and off for 40 years), I agree with most of his views, I approve of his mild style, and I note that he has a decent shot of winning. The suggestions that he's anti-semitic, pro-KKK, a terrorist sympathiser etc. seem to me obviously nonsense. So why would I seek to remove him? I can see it's different if you don't know him and believe in the accusations, but we're in different places.

As for sucking up, do you think I'm pursuing a career? It's a lovely thought, but I'm 68, with an interesting non-partisan job. Party politics is just a private hobby these days. I might stand for the council next year, but that's it.
    You seem to be mistaking Jeremy Corbyn's mild style with moderation. If you look at his acts there is nothing moderate about them at all. Why do you think that the idea that he's a terrorist sympathiser is obvious nonsense? He has certainly got caught up regularly with terrorist causes and doesn't seem to have been interested in distancing himself from them. And for a man who you think obviously isn't anti-Semitic, he's spent a surprising amount of time with people who could readily be labelled anti-Semites and yet managed to spare no time with the other side of the fence.

The very best gloss that one could put on it is that he is in George Orwell's category of those who "would feel more ashamed of standing to attention during ‘God save the King’ than of stealing from a poor box. All through the critical years many left-wingers were chipping away at English morale, trying to spread an outlook that was sometimes squashily pacifist, sometimes violently pro-Russian, but always anti-British.”

But on the basis of his acts, that seems like a mightily charitable interpretation.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401

justin124 said:

I am not sure Comrade Corbyn will be commenting on this story. Though he might say "I went to one of the top grammar schools in the country, and some say I only got two Es, but I don't think I was involved"
    "I was present at the exams but I don't think I was involved in answering the questions"?
    philiph said:

The pressing question is who will England leave out of the squad for Trent Bridge, and to stay on topic, how will it influence the choice of the next Conservative Party leader?

We asked Gavin Williamson to open the batting, but he said it wouldn't be fair on India.

A man that refuses to unequivocally condemn the antics of the IRA and other terrorist thugs, plus more recently the despicable behaviour of Momentum followers with their intimidation, abuse and casual anti-Semitism is not "mild". Refusal to condemn is tacit approval and one does not need to know the man personally to see this is the case. Corbyn is an extremist, and potentially along with Mcdonnell, a serious danger to our democracy. If you are not sucking up, you have definitely been suckered if you think there is anything decent about him and his acolytes.
    O/T. No disrespect to Aretha Franklin, her family and her fans - but I fail to see how her death really qualifies as being sufficiently newsworthy to be the lead story on the BBC website with a live thread dedicated to reaction.

Yes, she was a significant recording artist and performer. Yes, she broke barriers. But there are far more important things going on in the world.

A respectful story on the news website - appropriate.

Making it the lead story? Too much.
    Labour's complaint about the Mail story is certainly 'brave':

https://medium.com/@anyabike/corbyns-open-secret-22a70fa03254
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669

John_M said:

Quite right, it's always been the majority Protestant population of Northern Ireland that has been adamantly against a united Ireland.
    https://www.nytimes.com/1981/02/07/world/paisley-and-500-protestants-stage-ulster-show-of-force.html
    And then.... McCluskey puts his foot it in - AGAIN

https://twitter.com/mattlpfoster/status/1030109004515684353

justin124 said:

"I was present at the exams but I don't think I was involved in answering the questions"?
    Perhaps he was concerned about his school exploiting any surplus value that he might deliver by getting any grade above a pass
This discussion has been closed.