Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It might not be his objective but the Arron Banks plan makes T

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    SeanF: "I think one should always be prepared to question one's assumptions.

All things being equal, I think the impact of Brexit, over the course of 10-15 years will be that economic growth over that period will be very slightly less than would otherwise have been the case. However, I think the main determinant of economic growth rates will be the policies pursued domestically over that period.

My main concern about the EU has always been political, that's its institutions have obtained too much power, and show no sign of being prepared to return powers to member States.</"

No one knows for certain, though the balance of probability does not justify your optimism, so it is therefore, just hope. I share that hope even if that means I am wrong and I will be massively relieved.

The EU is of course political. It has never pretended to be otherwise. There has been a lot of myths and lies built around the UK Eurosceptic position where they have pretended that EU officials claimed it was only a trading block. It isn't, and never was, but it also need not be ultra federalist either as that is only a strand of opinion in Europe. Without the UK that strand of opinion will only get stronger, so when we inevitably go back in again we will go back in a lot weaker than we are now to what will be a lot more federalist as a result of our absense.

But hey, who knows, the disgraced former GP may win us loads of trade deals all over the world and we may even get a deal with the US where they don't treat us as a very junior partner.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994
    My view remains as it was before the referendum: the UK could be a success inside, or outside, the EU.

IMV we've picked the harder course, but it will still be possible for Brexit to turn out 'well' (and pick your own measure for that).

However IMO the Brexiteers (e.g. the ERG) are actively heading us in the other direction. They are making a messy Brexit that really hurts people (*) much more likely.

(*) Surprisingly enough, many of them will be insulated from the worst if the sh*t hits the fan.
  • Options

How is that relevant to what I wrote? What I wrote is the data shows the UK outperformed all other EU27 nations in a year of maximum uncertainty.

Am I a little bit concerned? Yes.

Same question reversed ars you even a little bit optimistic that the country may have made a seriously positive decision?

No, as per my other comment a second ago, I accept that there is a possibility it could turn out to be benign, but the balance of evidence and my common sense as a business person tells me that is highly unlikely. As for it being positive I cannot accept that from my perspective and values it cannot ever be viewed as positive or optimistic as it is something that was based on nationalistic tendencies and for many (though I accept not all) base instincts of dislike or even hatred of foreigners. I am fundamentally an internationalist and one nation Tory and I look forward to the day when I may be in my 80s or 90s when the UK is readmitted to it's natural family of European nations.
    So you accuse me of being like a flat-earther or religious zealot for thinking Brexit will be positive but could be negative ... but you think that Brexit will be negative and can't be positive? Seema that you're the more zealous one refusing to see any alternative to your beliefs.

As for being a European nation I find that rather parochial. The UK is a global nation not a European one. I see no reason we can't be in the same global family of nations as Australia, New Zealand, Canada etc... or Singapore, Malaysia, Brazil or many other successful non European nations. Why do you limit internationalism to one small continent?
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

One of the issues is that the whole discussion has been based on GDP. I do not want to imply that I speak for all leavers but to me their are more important issues than whether GDP growth in 2030 is +34% or +27% (treasury severe shock forecast).
    I want to be able to fire the people that make the laws, I want to empower our lawmakers, I want transparency in the law making process not some hidden negotiation, that was never questioned by the MP's until agreed and could not be changed and was then signed by the PM skulking into a darkened room. I believe that one input makes better decisions than 28 competiting interests, I believe bilateral trade agreements where the UK represents itself with result in quicker and better deals for both sides. I do not believe that the EU with its regional funds or its input on the environment across 28 countries is beneficial or efficient.
    I could go on, but I will trade all these for 7 points of GDP growth over 14 years.
    Remain need to make the case that 28 inputs make better decisions, that we have more influence around the world being in the EU, etc, etc. They have made none of these arguments.
    I also believe all this discussion about the future with the Miller case, the Lords nailing their flags to the mast the MP's that have suddenly had to discuss their core feelings and principles about who governs the UK has been fantastic. We have started the process of transparency and IMO this is a good first move.

Don`t you think that all the criticisms you level at the EU can be leveled at the UK, in spades

For example, I cannot "fire the people that make the laws". Most of us cannot.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

surby said:

Scott_P said:
    So it's a win-win for every country except the UK. Brexit dividend.
    But not dramatic enough for (m)any people to notice, perhaps completely invisible to the man on the street.

And we voted for it in return for..what? Being forced to allow more non-EU migrants to come to this country.
    Yes it does sum up Brexit perfectly. Brexit Britain is outperforming all EU27 nations.
    ?
    So far, no.

That doesn't mean that there isn't potential for a car crash Brexit to do damage.
    Thank you for your honest answer. As someone that thinks the whole idea has been sold on a false prospectus and will lead to serious damage to our economy I do accept that there is a chance I could be wrong and it all turns out to be benign. For something that is this big it does seem rather quasi-religious to have such faith that you are not in the slightest concerned that it could possibly be a serious mistake?
    One of the issues is that the whole discussion has been based on GDP. I do not want to imply that I speak for all leavers but to me their are more important issues than whether GDP growth in 2030 is +34% or +27% (treasury severe shock forecast).
    I want to be able to fire the people that make the laws, I want to empower our lawmakers, I want transparency in the law making process not some hidden negotiation, that was never questioned by the MP's until agreed and could not be changed and was then signed by the PM skulking into a darkened room. I believe that one input makes better decisions than 28 competiting interests, I believe bilateral trade agreements where the UK represents itself with result in quicker and better deals for both sides. I do not believe that the EU with its regional funds or its input on the environment across 28 countries is beneficial or efficient.
    I could go on, but I will trade all these for 7 points of GDP growth over 14 years.
    Remain need to make the case that 28 inputs make better decisions, that we have more influence around the world being in the EU, etc, etc. They have made none of these arguments.

I also believe all this discussion about the future with the Miller case, the Lords nailing their flags to the mast the MP's that have suddenly had to discuss their core feelings and principles about who governs the UK has been fantastic. We have started the process of transparency and IMO this is a good first move.
    We were always sovereign, sunshine.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2018
    Let's refight the EUref campaign all over aga- godammit, you started without me.
  • Options
    DavidL: "That question is not directed to me and sorry to butt in but it is an interesting one.

As a leaver I always accepted that leaving the EU would cause a period of uncertainty and some forgone growth if that uncertainty would not have occurred (although a decision to remain on a 52:48 basis would perhaps have had its own uncertainties). I think that foregone growth was greatly exaggerated. So far I have been right but we haven't left yet, the negotiation process has been conducted sub-optimally and there is still a risk of things being disrupted more severely.

Looking forward I think that there is a good chance that a UK not burdened with the excessive bureaucracy of the EU and focussed on its own requirements might make better decisions and have better results. But this is only a chance, it is by no means impossible that our political class will not continue to screw things up even without the EU distracting them.

Is it possible that instead we will find ourselves subject to much lower growth falling behind an EU no longer held up by UK intransigence? Yes, it's possible.

I am not sure we will ever know but in 10 years time we will be able to compare the performance of the EZ and the UK. Even if we have grown faster (and I think we will) that does not prove that leaving was a good idea in GDP terms because we might have grown faster inside as well (probably would have done in my view). If we have grown more slowly then we will need to think about why and whether this was such a good idea. But the EU we would consider rejoining at that point may not look like the EU we are leaving. "

Thank you, a good answer that is balanced and thoughtful. Without parallel universes we will never know if everything remains as benign as you hope. If I had more time than I have I would answer the "bureaucracy question" in more detail, but suffice it to say I suspect we will end up with considerably more rather than less which ever end of the brexit spectrum we end up with. This is the nature of Britain's ruling class. Business will still trade with Europe however damaging the Brexit process, so most of the "red-tape" will be precisely the same. I believe we will rejoin, maybe in 30 years due to shifting public opinion, cultural shift and demographics, but on greatly less favourable terms than we leave.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    PClipp said:

Don`t you think that all the criticisms you level at the EU can be leveled at the UK, in spades

Not can you sack members of your local town council, but I suspect that people are less bothered about that than having zero input on the members of the commission, for example.
  • Options
    Well said Mr Topping. Nothing gets me more "triggered" than Leave supporter's sovereignty deception
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    PClipp said:

Even though most in both parties would likke to fire their own leaders, let alone the opposition.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

She wants the party Chairman to stop people from joining the party?
    Surely Soubry needs to accept that as a remainer she's in the minority within the Tories ? My ex local MP Lee Rowley is becoming quite anti-fracking but he obviously observes it is Gov't policy within England to not be against development on a national level.
    She should 'accept' it in the same way that the bastards accepted John Major's policies on the EU in the mid-1990s. ;)
    The membership of the Tories has always been highly eurosceptic though. It's like recognising the sun rises in the east.
    The membership has a history of being homophobic. Should the party follow suit?
    The party and the government's policy on homosexuality is equality, same sex marriage and respect. People who don't have those views should not be welcomed into the party (and before TUD makes the point that includes some Scottish councillors with "interesting" views). But to try to stop people joining because they support the declared policy of the government is demented.
    Och, you're no fun.

It's odd that the SCons with certainly the best known gay leader in UK politics also seem to have an ambivalent attitude to having those people with 'interesting' views as elected members (what the wider membership is like God only knows).
    LOL. In reality I think it is largely a generational thing. I think it is really surprising and welcome how completely uncontroversial gay marriage now is.
    Is general societal and legal acceptance of homosexuality the biggest societal change in the last twenty years - not just in the UK, but in many countries around the world? If so, it's happened remarkably quickly and easily.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited August 2018

Kohli century.
    India 447 runs ahead
    Prediction: Jennings will be out before the end of the day
  • Options
    Keaton Jennings couldn’t catch a cold.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    Kohli gets his 100. Do they declare or go berserk?

If I were India I would do the latter and look to crush any remaining morale in the England camp. This series is going to be up for grabs after this humiliation.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Hear hear.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

We were always sovereign, sunshine.
    Except we chose not to exercise that, for the purposes of EU membership.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Flight details having to be written by hand at Gatwick after the computers break down:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/20/gatwick-staff-resort-writing-flight-information-whiteboards/
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

Keaton Jennings couldn’t catch a cold.

That’s a bit harsh on the cold.
  • Options
    RobD said:

PClipp said:

Not can you sack members of your local town council, but I suspect that people are less bothered about that than having zero input on the members of the commission, for example.
    Another Leave deception. "You" cannot, but the Commissioners (clue in the name) report to the Council of Ministers that are the elected leaders of the member states. You do not directly elect the Commissioners, but they are appointed by your elected reps. It is a bit like you don't directly elect your Prime Minister, though I wish that were not the case
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2018

Without the UK that strand of opinion will only get stronger, so when we inevitably go back in again we will go back in a lot weaker than we are now to what will be a lot more federalist as a result of our absense.

I find it amusing how many Remainers find it inevitable we will rejoin.

Why would it be inevitable? Why will we inevitably be in the EU but Canada won't inevitably be in the USA?

I think we will be Canada to the EU's USA and there are worse fates than that.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Let's refight the EUref campaign all over aga- godammit, you started without me.

More of a debate about whether it was wise, though there is still the issue to be fought over hard Brexit or Soft!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    edited August 2018
    DavidL said:

If I were India I would do the latter and look to crush any remaining morale in the England camp. This series is going to be up for grabs after this humiliation.

Let him get to 6,000 test runs then declare, put England in for a couple of hours tonight chasing more runs than have ever been chased before.

(This post completely unrelated to me having a large pile of cash on India at 1/10).

Edit: We got him!
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    Pulpstar said:

Sweden, Inizio poll:

S-S&D: 25%
    M-EPP: 21% (+1)
    SD-ECR: 19%
    C-ALDE: 9% (-1)
    V-LEFT: 9%
    MP-G/EFA: 5%
    KD-EPP: 5% (+1)
    L-ALDE: 5% (+1)

Field work: 10/8/18- 16/8/18
    Sample size: 2049

#val2018

When is the election ? The Sweden Democrats are falling.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

No I don't think that. The option of firing lawmakers is possible in a General Election. Just because you may not win the election doesn't mean we don't have the choice collectively as a nation. There is no EU equivalent to our General Election.
  • Options
    surby said:

Pulpstar said:

Sweden, Inizio poll:

#val2018

Good. Let's hope it continues to fall.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,059

Without the UK that strand of opinion will only get stronger, so when we inevitably go back in again we will go back in a lot weaker than we are now to what will be a lot more federalist as a result of our absense.

Why would it be inevitable? Why will we inevitably be in the EU but Canada won't inevitably be in the USA?

The EU is fundamentally different to the USA, and what’s the equivalent of the Good Friday Agreement between Canada and the US? Who are “we” in your scenario?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

DavidL: "That question is not directed to me and sorry to butt in but it is an interesting one.

demographics, but on greatly less favourable terms than we leave.

Looking forward I think that there is a good chance that a UK not burdened with the excessive bureaucracy of the EU and focussed on its own requirements might make better decisions and have better results. But this is only a chance, it is by no means impossible that our political class will not continue to screw things up even without the EU distracting them.

Is it possible that instead we will find ourselves subject to much lower growth falling behind an EU no longer held up by UK intransigence? Yes, it's possible.

I am not sure we will ever know but in 10 years time we will be able to compare the performance of the EZ and the UK. Even if we have grown faster (and I think we will) that does not prove that leaving was a good idea in GDP terms because we might have grown faster inside as well (probably would have done in my view). If we have grown more slowly then we will need to think about why and whether this was such a good idea. But the EU we would consider rejoining at that point may not look like the EU we are leaving. "

Thank you, a good answer that is balanced and thoughtful. Without parallel universes we will never know if everything remains as benign as you hope. If I had more time than I have I would answer the "bureaucracy question" in more detail, but suffice it to say I suspect we will end up with considerably more rather than less which ever end of the brexit spectrum we end up with. This is the nature of Britain's ruling class. Business will still trade with Europe however damaging the Brexit process, so most of the "red-tape" will be precisely the same. I believe we will rejoin, maybe in 30 years due to shifting public opinion, cultural shift and demographics, but on greatly less favourable terms than we leave.

With your comment of most of the "red-tape" will remain just because we trade with Europe is incorrect. EU "red-tape" splits into three main areas product, social and environmental. If you are outside the EU to sell goods into the EU you only need to comply with the product regs. So stuff like working time directives or the environmental requirements of REACH are not required.
    So the "red-tape" remaining depends on the deal.
  • Options

I don't think it is inevitable, just very likely. I find it very amusing that those of you that hate the EU so much as you do, might find yourselves back in a version of it that is less benign to nationalists than it currently is. I say it as often as I can as I know that nationalists (not all leavers fall in that camp) are essentially negative people who fear the Germans haha
  • Options

RobD said:

PClipp said:

Another Leave deception. "You" cannot, but the Commissioners (clue in the name) report to the Council of Ministers that are the elected leaders of the member states. You do not directly elect the Commissioners, but they are appointed by your elected reps. It is a bit like you don't directly elect your Prime Minister, though I wish that were not the case
    How much luck did our representative have last time?
  • Options
    Would he recommend joining Rees Mogg's Conservative party; or Johnson's; or Farage's?
  • Options
    surby said:

Pulpstar said:

Sweden, Inizio poll:

#val2018

Second week of September I think.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    DavidL said:

The UK market share of financial services in 2016 was 24%: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/BRIE/2016/587384/IPOL_BRI(2016)587384_EN.pdf
    table 1.

Whilst I would have a concern about how easy it will be to get the relevant figures my expectation is that by 2020 that percentage will at least have been maintained and is more likely to grow than shrink. Approximately 90% of the growth in financial services will be outside the EU in that period and London is well placed to benefit.

Why is London better placed than Hong Kong, Singapore or any city in the EU like Dublin, Frankfurt, Paris or Wall Street ?
  • Options

The EU is fundamentally different to the USA, and what’s the equivalent of the Good Friday Agreement between Canada and the US? Who are “we” in your scenario?
    The GFA is going to force us to rejoin the EU?
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:
    Och, you're no fun.

It's odd that the SCons with certainly the best known gay leader in UK politics also seem to have an ambivalent attitude to having those people with 'interesting' views as elected members (what the wider membership is like God only knows).
    LOL. In reality I think it is largely a generational thing. I think it is really surprising and welcome how completely uncontroversial gay marriage now is.
    Is general societal and legal acceptance of homosexuality the biggest societal change in the last twenty years - not just in the UK, but in many countries around the world? If so, it's happened remarkably quickly and easily.
    In the west it has. In other countries with more rapidly growing populations homosexuality remains illegal and in some they get thrown off buildings. But enough about Corbyn's friends.

In the UK it has in my view been a consequence of the increasing weakness of organised religion. Once your morality is no longer determined by centuries old social concepts written in a book it becomes difficult to understand why people's' sexual orientation is a matter for anyone but themselves and why we should treat them differently as a result. The US has found it harder because religion has more of a grip there.

I would say the biggest societal change is that we no longer accept the heads of our church as being entitled to determine morality. Same sex marriage is only one consequence of that.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Yes but what if as well as always having been sovereign, Canada also had a powerful voice in the US House of Representatives and Senate?

That is what we have just given up.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Full figures from yesterday's Opininum:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    UK, Opinium poll:
    CON-ECR: 39% (+3)
    LAB-S&D: 38% (-2)
    LDEM-ALDE: 7% (-1)
    UKIP-EFDD: 7% (-1)
    Field work: 14/08/2018-17/08/2018
    Sample size: 2,003"
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

PClipp said:

The same luck as all 28 have. It is not luck, it is called International diplomacy and it takes tact and diplomatic skill - something that is necessary in high office and traits that are demonstrably completely lacking in the charlatan Boris Johnson
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Yes but what if as well as always having been sovereign, Canada also had a powerful voice in the US House of Representatives and Senate?

Then it wouldn’t be sovereign. Unless you think South Dakota is sovereign.
  • Options

demographics, but on greatly less favourable terms than we leave.

With your comment of most of the "red-tape" will remain just because we trade with Europe is incorrect. EU "red-tape" splits into three main areas product, social and environmental. If you are outside the EU to sell goods into the EU you only need to comply with the product regs. So stuff like working time directives or the environmental requirements of REACH are not required.
    So the "red-tape" remaining depends on the deal.
    You are quite correct, though a Corbyn government which has been made more likely by Brexit will not water down the other two areas, and it is even unlikely a Tory one will either. Bad luck!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. P, quite a quote to choose.

It ends, of course, "wrong us, do we not revenge?".
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,059
    RobD said:

The GFA means that the definition of “us” and “them” is necessarily fuzzy.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

PClipp said:

The same luck as all 28 have. It is not luck, it is called International diplomacy and it takes tact and diplomatic skill - something that is necessary in high office and traits that are demonstrably completely lacking in the charlatan Boris Johnson
    Doesn’t change the fact that the leadership of the EU is not elected, and you, as a voter, have zero recourse on the matter. We could have even binned Cameron and Juncker would still have be President.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2018

John_M said:

More of a debate about whether it was wise, though there is still the issue to be fought over hard Brexit or Soft!
    I genuinely don't think there will be a single answer to that question. Over the next five years, certainly 'unwise', in economic terms - you don't unpick two decades of economic and supply chain integration without pain. After that, it's ineffable. As we have discussed on here to the point of nausea, whether the UK prospers or not depends on many factors.

However, like Pascal's wager, the smart money should always be on backing Remain; Brexit is going to be the albatross hung round the neck of every negative event from now until eternity or Scott gets bored of posting tweets on PB, whichever comes first.
  • Options

The USA is the ambition for the EU and in many ways is already more interventionist and protectionist than the USA is. For example on labour laws the EU is more prescriptive than the federal government is.

There are many treaties between Canada and the USA: https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/Canada–United_States_border.html

We are the UK.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

You're right. It was better than that. We are and were sovereign *and* we had a say in our neighbouring large trading bloc.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

RobD said:

The GFA means that the definition of “us” and “them” is necessarily fuzzy.
    It really doesn’t. All it talks about is our continued partnership within the EU. The EU part is no longer valid, but the partnership bit is.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:
    Och, you're no fun.

In the west it has. In other countries with more rapidly growing populations homosexuality remains illegal and in some they get thrown off buildings. But enough about Corbyn's friends.

In the UK it has in my view been a consequence of the increasing weakness of organised religion. Once your morality is no longer determined by centuries old social concepts written in a book it becomes difficult to understand why people's' sexual orientation is a matter for anyone but themselves and why we should treat them differently as a result. The US has found it harder because religion has more of a grip there.

I would say the biggest societal change is that we no longer accept the heads of our church as being entitled to determine morality. Same sex marriage is only one consequence of that.
    One could however, imagine a non-religious society deciding to persecute homosexuals on eugenic grounds, as Stalin and other communists did.

What is curious is that 50 years ago, the Middle East and North Africa was generally far more accepting of homosexuality than Western societies were at the time.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

EU states are sovereign to the same extent US states are.

Every Canadian I know is content not to have Representatives and Senators. We've given up what they don't want. On purpose and without regret.
  • Options
    surby said:

DavidL said:

The UK market share of financial services in 2016 was 24%: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/BRIE/2016/587384/IPOL_BRI(2016)587384_EN.pdf
    table 1.

Whilst I would have a concern about how easy it will be to get the relevant figures my expectation is that by 2020 that percentage will at least have been maintained and is more likely to grow than shrink. Approximately 90% of the growth in financial services will be outside the EU in that period and London is well placed to benefit.

Why is London better placed than Hong Kong, Singapore or any city in the EU like Dublin, Frankfurt, Paris or Wall Street ?
    Several of those will do well but London has significant advantages. It speaks English. It has an economically important timezone largely to itself. It has huge liquidity and expertise. It has English law which is increasingly applied internationally. It has skilled, flexible and experienced regulators. It is very open to new money (sometimes overly so) and new ideas. It is a place where a lot of people want to live. It has critical mass in a range of complimentary areas. It has a Bank of last resort capable of responding to a crisis. It has a relatively stable and predictable tax system. It has good infrastructure for Financial Services.

Most of your alternatives tick some of these boxes. Very few, if any, tick them all.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Every Canadian I know is content not to have Representatives and Senators. We've given up what they don't want. On purpose and without regret.
    No they're not. Kentucky couldn't vote to leave the US tomorrow, now, could they?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PClipp said:

Doesn’t change the fact that the leadership of the EU is not elected, and you, as a voter, have zero recourse on the matter. We could have even binned Cameron and Juncker would still have be President.
    How could I have "binned Cameron"?

Certainly not, with the UK`s failed electoral system.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    PClipp said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PClipp said:

By voting Labour.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    PClipp said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PClipp said:

No, as with any electoral system, you would have had to persuade a large number of other voters. As it happens, they didn't agree on much, except that they wanted to bin the LibDems.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PClipp said:

We have these things called General Elections. Something that the Commission is lacking.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Oh dear, I'd better explain the sovereignty thing again. Member states of the EU are sovereign as they have the right to leave, which, regrettably to my taste 52% of our electorate chose. By contrast, Scotland, like South Dekota, is not sovereign. It cannot choose to have a referendum on leaving UK or EU without reference to Westminster. It cannot declare war. It does not have a seat at the UN or other supra national bodies. Sovereign states may choose to pool sovereignty and law making by international treaty, such as EU, NATO, UN. Britain chooses to have a foreign country (USA) have its armed forces based on our soil, a situation which many would regard as a much bigger surrender of sovereignty that being a member of the EU. Anyone that voted Leave on the sovereignty ticket was well and truly conned.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Scott_P said:
    That's deeply worrying. On a related not, I learnt last week that my employer is going to move its entire logistics operation to the Netherlands. This is purely due to Brexit and will be done regardless of what, if any, Brexit deal is eventually done. What struck me was how casual everyone was about it; it was just treated as something that obviously has to be done. I imagine a similar thing is going on in businesses up and down the land.
    Yep. Can confirm.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

complete rubbish
  • Options

NEW THREAD AND I DECLINE THE OPPORTUNITY OF A FIRST

• Options

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

Oh dear, I'd better explain the sovereignty thing again. Member states of the EU are sovereign as they have the right to leave, which, regrettably to my taste 52% of our electorate chose. By contrast, Scotland, like South Dekota, is not sovereign. It cannot choose to have a referendum on leaving UK or EU without reference to Westminster. It cannot declare war. It does not have a seat at the UN or other supra national bodies. Sovereign states may choose to pool sovereignty and law making by international treaty, such as EU, NATO, UN. Britain chooses to have a foreign country (USA) have its armed forces based on our soil, a situation which many would regard as a much bigger surrender of sovereignty that being a member of the EU. Anyone that voted Leave on the sovereignty ticket was well and truly conned.
    Yeah, the UK agreed not to exercise its sovereignty in certain areas for purposes of EU membership. I think we all get that bit.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Let him get to 6,000 test runs then declare, put England in for a couple of hours tonight chasing more runs than have ever been chased before.

(This post completely unrelated to me having a large pile of cash on India at 1/10).

Edit: We got him!
    Who is this "we", India backer?
  • Options
    Cheque is in the post, TSE :smiley:
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No they're not. Kentucky couldn't vote to leave the US tomorrow, now, could they?
    It could if the USA passed a Constitutional Amendment introducing an Article 50 equivalent like the Lisbon Treaty did. We aren't leaving via our own unilateral measures but instead via a mechanism within the EU's constitution.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

It could if the USA passed a Constitutional Amendment introducing an Article 50 equivalent like the Lisbon Treaty did. We aren't leaving via our own unilateral measures but instead via a mechanism within the EU's constitution.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

ie no it couldn't.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

ie no it couldn't.
    Philip does raise an interesting point. What was the situation before Lisbon?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    surby said:

DavidL said:

table 1.

Three things. One is geography and rotation of the earth. Basically, you end up with financial centres being in New York, somewhere near London, and the Far East so that trading can follow the sun, round the clock. London is basically competing with the rest of Europe for our time zone.

Second is language. We speak English and so does New York and Hong Kong. To be fair, so does Dublin and well, everywhere in Europe speaks English in dealing rooms.

Third is tradition, infrastructure and network effects. There are lots of banks in London because there are lots of banks in London (and support firms like specialist accountants, lawyers, brokers and so on). Just as there are lots of software companies in Silicon Valley and film studios in Hollywood.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

ie no it couldn't.
    First, it's not interesting. He is saying that if his uncle was a woman....

As to before Lisbon? No idea. We could of course always have left (having always been sovereign :wink: ) but I imagine we'd have gone straight to no deal. Who knows!?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

ie no it couldn't.

As to before Lisbon? No idea. We could of course always have left (having always been sovereign :wink: ) but I imagine we'd have gone straight to no deal. Who knows!?
    Much like how the US states would have left, without a deal?
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

ie no it couldn't.

No because I'm pretty sure (someone correct me) that if Kentucky decided to secede then they would have found a large amount of military hardware heading towards them pronto.

But I've no idea.

I'd say use the battleship that's coming over the hill.
  • Options
    RobD said:

PClipp said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PClipp said:

We have these things called General Elections. Something that the Commission is lacking.
    The European Commission (see my posts earlier) has considerably more democratic accountability than many of our institutions: The Monarchy (sorry Ma'am), The House of Lords, numerous QUANGOs. We do not have general elections for these bodies (some might argue we should) and it is extreme of ignorance and arrogance for us to accuse the EU of being "undemocratic". The Commission is more akin to the Secretary General and supporting staff of the UN and NATO. They draw their authority by delegated powers through heads of government.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

ie no it couldn't.

No because I'm pretty sure (someone correct me) that if Kentucky decided to secede then they would have found a large amount of military hardware heading towards them pronto.

But I've no idea.

We'll call it leaving in a disorderly fashion, shall we?
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Yes en up.

ie no it couldn't.

But I've no idea.

We'll call it leaving in a disorderly fashion, shall we?
    They wouldn't be able to leave.

https://quora.com/What-would-happen-today-if-a-state-tried-to-leave-the-United-States-and-become-an-independent-nation-How-would-other-states-and-the-federal-government-react-Would-they-use-the-military-to-suppress-this-independence
  • Options

RobD said:

PClipp said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

PClipp said:

The European Commission (see my posts earlier) has considerably more democratic accountability than many of our institutions: The Monarchy (sorry Ma'am), The House of Lords, numerous QUANGOs. We do not have general elections for these bodies (some might argue we should) and it is extreme of ignorance and arrogance for us to accuse the EU of being "undemocratic". The Commission is more akin to the Secretary General and supporting staff of the UN and NATO. They draw their authority by delegated powers through heads of government.
    Of course, our Head of Government came there by highly questionable means. Although all of them were completely acceptable to our PB Tories.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Floater said:

Todays WTF moment

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/kindergarten-in-indonesia-dresses-children-as-armed-jihadis-for-parade-sparks-backlash?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&xtor=CS1-10#Echobox=1534761374

The excuse is another WTF moment

"The costumes had been used in previous parades to teach students about the Prophet Muhammad's faith and beliefs, she added."

Remember this is Indonesia

"Indonesia has endured a spate of deadly militant violence in recent years.

The 17,000 island archipelago, which has the world's biggest Muslim population, suffered its worst attack in a decade in May after ISIS-inspired suicide bombers attacked several churches.

Indonesia's deadliest terror attack was the 2002 Bali bombing which killed over 200 people."

Please someone sack this moron

Perhaps this is where they got their inspiration - https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/proud-parents-film-under-fives-12639869
  • Options
    Thanks Mr Topping. , How many times does this need to be explained to brexiters? It is because US states are not independent sovereign states. Sadly it is a sad indictment of the Remain campaign that no-one nailed this sovereignty argument. As I said earlier anyone who voted Leave because of sovereignty was seriously juped
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Yes, which is there because we are (as are the other 27) an independent sovereign state, and we, unilaterally, as is our right under an international treaty chose to give a referendum question to our electorate which came back with a self harming answer. We are/were, always have been since the dark ages a SOVEREIGN STATE!!! The suggestion we did not have sovereignty while part of the EU is a massive lie
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

ie no it couldn't.

But I've no idea.

Indeed, when 11 States did secede 150 years ago, there was a bit of a fracas.
This discussion has been closed.