Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Voting intention polls – the fools’ gold of predicting electio

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Voting intention polls – the fools’ gold of predicting elections. Leader ratings do it better

TMay's lead over Corbyn on YouGov "Best PM" tracker has dropped 25 points in past 2 months pic.twitter.com/olqsZ74eSp

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    First?
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Second - very interesting and something I'll bear in mind for future elections. GE17 still gives me nightmares even now. I simply didn't believe that public opinion could shift so much over the course of a campaign. Lesson learnt the hard way!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    On another note, watch out for a lot of earthquake activity around the world over the next 3-4 weeks. There was the deep 8.2 earthquake near Fiji at the weekend, which is going to put an enormous amount of pressure around the world, plus some other really deep but smaller quakes. Have a look at Dutchsinse on YouTube, who's got a really good record predicting them - I hope people near seismic zones are aware of the threat in order to avoid unnecessary loss of life.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

On another note, watch out for a lot of earthquake activity around the world over the next 3-4 weeks. There was the deep 8.2 earthquake near Fiji at the weekend, which is going to put an enormous amount of pressure around the world, plus some other really deep but smaller quakes. Have a look at Dutchsinse on YouTube, who's got a really good record predicting them - I hope people near seismic zones are aware of the threat in order to avoid unnecessary loss of life.

How's the next ice age coming on? :wink:
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    At the moment with the voting polls pretty much tied I would say the worry for Labour is that Corbyn is still quite some way down on the best prime minister ratings.

Not way down enough to be confident that the hard-left monster can't emerge from its slumbers, though.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    I think the Leader Ratings simply confirm that if Corbyn becomes PM he may not even lead the largest party but be reliant on minor parties like the SNP and the LDs
  • Options
    edited August 2018

hunchman said:

It's coming on well. I know you don't understand the first thing about weather, but there we go. There has been much record cold weather recently in South America (many Llamas killed), Australia, South Africa and NE Canada as well as Siberia. Never makes the mainstream news, funny that - doesn't quite fit in with the AGW agenda. More importantly, its doing real damage to crop yields around the world, with the meridional jet stream patterns that occur under very low solar activity conditions like we have now. Yes Western Europe has had some very warm weather granted this summer, but governments around the world don't want any of us to know just how under pressure our food supplies are right now.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,597
    Given the present state of the Conservatives, is a ratings match up of current leaders relevant to predicting a future GE? May v Corbyn is not particularly relevant - about as relevant a predictor of the next GE as Thatcher v Kinnock was to that in 1992.
  • Options

Given the present state of the Conservatives, is a ratings match up of current leaders relevant to predicting a future GE? May v Corbyn is not particularly relevant - about as relevant a predictor of the next GE as Thatcher v Kinnock was to that in 1992.

As long as Boris is the main alternative to May not impossible it could be a May v Corbyn rematch next time
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

It's coming on well. I know you don't understand the first thing about weather, but there we go. There has been much record cold weather recently in South America (many Llamas killed), Australia, South Africa and NE Canada as well as Siberia. Never makes the mainstream news, funny that - doesn't quite fit in with the AGW agenda. More importantly, its doing real damage to crop yields around the world, with the meridional jet stream patterns that occur under very low solar activity conditions like we have now. Yes Western Europe has had some very warm weather granted this summer, but governments around the world don't want any of us to know just how under pressure our food supplies are right now.
    Australia in July 2018
    In brief
    Daytime temperatures exceptionally warm for Australia as a whole, second-warmest July on record...
    http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/month/aus/summary.shtml
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2018
    "Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

Germany, INSA poll:
    CDU/CSU-EPP: 28% (-1)
    SPD-S&D: 17% (-1)
    AfD-EFDD: 16% (-1)
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 14% (+1)
    LINKE-LEFT: 12% (+1)
    FDP-ALDE: 10%
    Field work: 16/08/18 –20/08/18
    Sample size: 3,129"
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    hunchman said:

Yes Western Europe has had some very warm weather granted this summer, but governments around the world don't want any of us to know just how under pressure our food supplies are right now.

Dem lizards out to get us again.
  • Options

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

Australia in July 2018
    In brief
    Daytime temperatures exceptionally warm for Australia as a whole, second-warmest July on record...
    https://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andrew-bolt/record-cold-in-australia/news-story/6545967e12ba597ca4f9de97fecd788c

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-06/melbourne-shivers-through-coldest-start-to-winter-in-36-years/9840460

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/brisbane-wakes-to-coldest-2018-day-records-tumble-across-queensland-20180714-p4zrgy.html

Australian Bureau of Meterology is in the lap of the crazy Australian government to promote AGW at any cost, including that of reliable energy to its citizens, just ask people in South Australia about the reliability of their energy supplies, thanks to the crazy dogma of AGW.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    HYUFD said:

I think the Leader Ratings simply confirm that if Corbyn becomes PM he may not even lead the largest party but be reliant on minor parties like the SNP and the LDs

Quite possibly. That said, note that even after the slump May led Corbyn by 13 on election day, significantly more than she does now (6 IIRC). The sitting PM has an advantage in "Who would be best PM?", simply because you don't have to imagine it.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    FPT, IanB2 wrote:

Left-right conflates a view of economics (state control v free markets) with other dimensions such as authoritarian-libertarian or collective-individual. Most serious analysis takes place over two dimensions, but there are varying models as to what the two dimensions should be. Economically left/right and authoritarian/libertarian is perhaps the most common 2D plot, putting communism and fascism as the ultimate authoritarian parties top left and top right. Identifying truly libertarian parties is the difficult bit - the LibDems would be closest to libertarian centre; Labour is heading authoritarian left, the Tories arguably mid-scale right. UKIP might once have been a libertarian right party (as under Sked) but its manifesto can't really be described as libertarian. Libertarian left doesn't really seem to exist.

(there were clearly other posts, but the above is worth requoting)

-----

I find it odd that the 'libertarian left' hasn't been a force - that's pretty much 'trendy lefty' after all. I imagine Corbyn is not so far from that?

It's interesting that the lines are traditionally drawn r/l on the basis of market freedom. I guess if you set out to control the markets then other things are easy game. However that rather supports my initial contention (FPT).

For what it's worth I'm a 'small government'-libertarian, or at least I think I am.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Interesting that Yanis Varoufakis met Corbyn today and decided to tweet against a second Brexit referendum.

https://twitter.com/yanisvaroufakis/status/1031541103554650122?s=21
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

As long as Boris is the main alternative to May not impossible it could be a May v Corbyn rematch next time
    Not impossible, but unlikely. More unlikely than was the possibility in 1989 of a Thatcher v Kinnock rematch.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Omnium said:

FPT, IanB2 wrote:

Left-right conflates a view of economics (state control v free markets) with other dimensions such as authoritarian-libertarian or collective-individual. Most serious analysis takes place over two dimensions, but there are varying models as to what the two dimensions should be. Economically left/right and authoritarian/libertarian is perhaps the most common 2D plot, putting communism and fascism as the ultimate authoritarian parties top left and top right. Identifying truly libertarian parties is the difficult bit - the LibDems would be closest to libertarian centre; Labour is heading authoritarian left, the Tories arguably mid-scale right. UKIP might once have been a libertarian right party (as under Sked) but its manifesto can't really be described as libertarian. Libertarian left doesn't really seem to exist.

-----

I find it odd that the 'libertarian left' hasn't been a force - that's pretty much 'trendy lefty' after all. I imagine Corbyn is not so far from that?

It's interesting that the lines are traditionally drawn r/l on the basis of market freedom. I guess if you set out to control the markets then other things are easy game. However that rather supports my initial contention (FPT).

For what it's worth I'm a 'small government'-libertarian, or at least I think I am.

The only voters who gave Libertarianism a net positive rating in that Opinium ideologies survey recently were LDs and Plaid voters, confirming all the sandal wearers have gone to Corbyn Labour.

Labour, Tory, SNP, Green and UKIP voters all gave Libertarianism a net negative rating

https://www.opinium.co.uk/political-polling-10th-july-2018-2-2/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    Whatever might happen next time if Corbyn does stick it out until then his supporters will be unfazable given what did happen in terms of the best leader ratings last time. Sure it might not be the case again even if he goes in with not that great figures for an opposition leader (and messiah) going up against a divided, chaotic and very very tired government, but they'll have plenty of reason to assume things will improve later.
  • Options

Interesting that Yanis Varoufakis met Corbyn today and decided to tweet against a second Brexit referendum.

https://twitter.com/yanisvaroufakis/status/1031541103554650122?s=21

He's right about the complications, but if he was influenced by Jeremy I would suspect that Jeremy cares a lot more about becoming PM than he does sorting out , before becoming PM, what happens with Brexit, hence why the assumption a GE would resolve things, which is far from clear as well. (This is not to suggest he has always sought being PM, clearly that is not the case, but having gotten this close he won't want to miss his chance)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Not impossible, but unlikely. More unlikely than was the possibility in 1989 of a Thatcher v Kinnock rematch.
    No more likely, May is polling much better than Thatcher was in 1990
  • Options
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

Australia in July 2018
    In brief
    https://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andrew-bolt/record-cold-in-australia/news-story/6545967e12ba597ca4f9de97fecd788c

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-06/melbourne-shivers-through-coldest-start-to-winter-in-36-years/9840460

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/brisbane-wakes-to-coldest-2018-day-records-tumble-across-queensland-20180714-p4zrgy.html

Australian Bureau of Meterology is in the lap of the crazy Australian government to promote AGW at any cost, including that of reliable energy to its citizens, just ask people in South Australia about the reliability of their energy supplies, thanks to the crazy dogma of AGW.
    If you look at these reports there were more high temperature records broken than low temperature records in Australia in May and June this year.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/mwr/aus/mwr-aus-201805.pdf

Now, I appreciate you think the Australian Bureau of Meterology is "in the lap of the crazy Australian government" but are you seriously suggesting they are fiddling the records?

• Options

HYUFD said:

Quite possibly. That said, note that even after the slump May led Corbyn by 13 on election day, significantly more than she does now (6 IIRC). The sitting PM has an advantage in "Who would be best PM?", simply because you don't have to imagine it.
    Incumbency helps yes
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

FPT, IanB2 wrote:

-----

The only voters who gave Libertarianism a net positive rating in that Opinium ideologies survey recently were LDs and Plaid voters, confirming all the sandal wearers have gone to Corbyn Labour.

Labour, Tory, SNP, Green and UKIP voters all gave Libertarianism a net negative rating

Which probably says that, contrary to the delusions of some on the far right, the general population does not daily feel opressed by too much government.

Indeed, most probably feel government is doing too little, rather than too much.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

FPT, IanB2 wrote:

-----

Indeed, most probably feel government is doing too little, rather than too much.
    Probably. I generally think people have simultaneous and contradictory feelings about such things, in the same vein as the oft lamented demands of more and better services, but not wanting to pay for it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

FPT, IanB2 wrote:

-----

Probably. I generally think people have simultaneous and contradictory feelings about such things, in the same vein as the oft lamented demands of more and better services, but not wanting to pay for it.
    Agree, though most are happy for someone else to pay for it (which is a message that Labour will continue to push with some success).
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Omnium said:

FPT, IanB2 wrote:

-----

Missed the previous thread, but I consider myself on the libertarian wing of the Left. If that makes me a trendy lefty, then so be it. I am naturally suspicious of the desire to ban anything we don't particularly like. Drugs, immigration, trans rights, sex work and yes gambling are big philosophical dividing lines on the Left.
    That does carry over to markets too. I am in favour of the government taking a view on what it should provide, such as health care and education and running it on evidence based criteria. And not putting unnecessary restrictions on private business. They will fund a decent welfare state.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

FPT, IanB2 wrote:

-----

Which probably says that, contrary to the delusions of some on the far right, the general population does not daily feel opressed by too much government.

Yes, the left feels the government is not spending and taxing the rich enough and the right feels the government is not taking a tough enough line on controlling our borders and cracking down on crime and supporting traditional values
  • Options
    "Against Identity Politics
    The New Tribalism and the Crisis of Democracy

By Francis Fukuyama"

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/americas/2018-08-14/against-identity-politics
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

hunchman said:

Australia in July 2018
    In brief

If you look at these reports there were more high temperature records broken than low temperature records in Australia in May and June this year.

Now, I appreciate you think the Australian Bureau of Meterology is "in the lap of the crazy Australian government" but are you seriously suggesting they are fiddling the records?

You've not run across hunchman before, have you?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    hunchman said:

hunchman said:

Why do you discount the ocean heat content numbers? To my mind they are by far the most compelling evidence that the earth has warmed in the past fifty years, and the measurements come out the same way, whether by point measurements of temperature or calculation of overall thermal expansion.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,631
    AndyJS said:

By Francis Fukuyama"

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/americas/2018-08-14/against-identity-politics

An interesting read, Andy: thank you.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Omnium said:

FPT, IanB2 wrote:

-----

I would contend that for most purposes “left-libertarian” equals “anarcho-syndicalist” but those of both the left and right that want power structures to exploit have managed to associate anarchists with “bomb-throwing lunatics” in most people’s minds.

My problem with most libertarians is that they’d happily replace the power of the state with the power of money or at least of those best able to amass resources to themselves. That’s just replacing one tyranny with another to my mind.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

FPT, IanB2 wrote:

-----

I think you are getting a bit mixed up, Mr HY, in your eagerness to big up the doomed Tory position.

If Corbyn`s Labour are described as "authoritarian", then there is no way that the Liberal Democrats can be seen as having gone to Labour - nor to the authoritarian Tories either. The clue is in the word "liberal" and the axis is liberal - authoritarian.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

By Francis Fukuyama"

Pleased you found it interesting. (I had to register in order to get the one free article a month offer). I've thought identity politics was a disaster from the first time I heard about it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Has anyone else read Everything Trump Touches Dies : it's by a Republican strategist and is a real hoot
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    rpjs said:

Omnium said:

FPT, IanB2 wrote:

-----

I would contend that for most purposes “left-libertarian” equals “anarcho-syndicalist” but those of both the left and right that want power structures to exploit have managed to associate anarchists with “bomb-throwing lunatics” in most people’s minds.

My problem with most libertarians is that they’d happily replace the power of the state with the power of money or at least of those best able to amass resources to themselves. That’s just replacing one tyranny with another to my mind.
    Many people's libertarianism lasts only so long as they don't have any power over others. Then it is all too easy to discover that being libertarian for oneself is much easier than being so for other people.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Incumbency helps yes
    Not needing to imagine it isn't always an advantage, nevertheless.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good morning, everyone.

Interesting stats.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Scott_P said:
    I think that's the happiest I've every seen him look.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Has anyone else read Everything Trump Touches Dies : it's by a Republican strategist and is a real hoot

https://www.msnbc.com/weekends-with-alex-witt/watch/why-everything-trump-touches-dies-1301831747546

Corbyn is Trump. Everything this man says about Trump is how I feel about Corbyn.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

By Francis Fukuyama"

It’s thought-provoking, isn’t it!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    edited August 2018
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_P said:
    That’s actually just what I thought.

Surrounded by like minded souls, super relaxed, excited, saving the oppressed, and sticking it to the western military imperial industrial complex also.

Heaven.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    Corbyn's latest, his long time secretary (since 1994) wrote a pamphlet about reading the Jewish press to see who not to vote for: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7059820/jeremy-corbyn-aide-oust-pro-israel-mp-guide/

The purpose of this was apparently to reduce the power of the Israeli lobby in Parliament. And as a means of reaching out to both sides in search of peace, natch.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    No mention of Vince Cable in the PM ratings. Sad!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_P said:

Surrounded by like minded souls, super relaxed, excited, saving the oppressed, and sticking it to the western military imperial industrial complex also.

Heaven.
    "And how many Zionists did you kill?"
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_P said:

Heaven.
    "And how many Zionists did you kill?"
    Indeed.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

https://www.msnbc.com/weekends-with-alex-witt/watch/why-everything-trump-touches-dies-1301831747546

Corbyn is Trump. Everything this man says about Trump is how I feel about Corbyn.
    3-4 minutes of that man was enough for me. I don't know if that is reflective of his book but the frothing/analysis ratio was not in his favour.
  • Options

What were Nick Clegg’s ‘satisfaction ratings’ in the run up to the 2015 election?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    DavidL said:

Corbyn's latest, his long time secretary (since 1994) wrote a pamphlet about reading the Jewish press to see who not to vote for: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7059820/jeremy-corbyn-aide-oust-pro-israel-mp-guide/

The purpose of this was apparently to reduce the power of the Israeli lobby in Parliament. And as a means of reaching out to both sides in search of peace, natch.

I am more worried about the Tories turning anti-business.
  • Options
    F1: Gasly to join Red Bull next year.

He's a good driver but I think Sainz would've been better. Perhaps that was the problem...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

DavidL said:

Who in the Cabinet is anti-business?

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

3-4 minutes of that man was enough for me. I don't know if that is reflective of his book but the frothing/analysis ratio was not in his favour.
    It's only 6:42 minutes long.
    What he said seems pretty mainstream, he's a Bush type Republican.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The one I just heard on the radio.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Why, because of Boris' outburst about certain business lobbies and their remainer agenda? What other evidence is there of this supposed anti-business approach? Maybe cutting CT to 20%, or the modification of the rating review? Or is it just because the government is committed to delivering the result of the referendum and this is supposedly anti business?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

He's a good driver but I think Sainz would've been better. Perhaps that was the problem...

Yep both that and the fact Max and Sainz don't get on as was shown when both where at Toro Rossa
  • Options
    Bank of England figures show consumer borrowing reached £213bn in June, rising much faster than workers’ pay.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Bank of England figures show consumer borrowing reached £213bn in June, rising much faster than workers’ pay.

Hence the very slow and erratic progress in reducing the trade deficit despite the fall in Sterling. We just don't seem to learn.
  • Options

What were Nick Clegg’s ‘satisfaction ratings’ in the run up to the 2015 election?
    Interesting article here.

https://academic.oup.com/pa/article/68/suppl_1/70/1403259
  • Options
  • Options
    eek said:

Yep both that and the fact Max and Sainz don't get on as was shown when both where at Toro Rossa
    Gasly is the obvious bum to fill the seat. Red Bull have a clear development programme for drivers, if they think they are good enough to step into a vacant seat thats what they do. Remember that Mad Max Verstappen wasn't (and still isn't) the finished article when they finally lost patience with Kvyat.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The one I just heard on the radio.
    That's nice and specific!
  • Options
    We export $100 billion less than France each year and $60 billion less than Italy, according to Wiki.
  • Options
    I think 2017 was an extreme case where there was very little apparently happening in the voter intention figures and this absolutely huge shift in the best leader numbers showing enthusiasm for May dying very fast. In such circumstances the leadership numbers certainly have something to tell us.

Whether they tell us anything specific in a more normal case is less clear. The most likely effect is that they reflect voter enthusiasm and lead to differential turnout. So in the cases of both Cameron in 2015 and Major in 1992 Tory supporters were more enthused about voting than their opposition either because they liked their leader or were determined to stop his opponent.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I think 2017 was an extreme case where there was very little apparently happening in the voter intention figures and this absolutely huge shift in the best leader numbers showing enthusiasm for May dying very fast. In such circumstances the leadership numbers certainly have something to tell us.

Whether they tell us anything specific in a more normal case is less clear. The most likely effect is that they reflect voter enthusiasm and lead to differential turnout. So in the cases of both Cameron in 2015 and Major in 1992 Tory supporters were more enthused about voting than their opposition either because they liked their leader or were determined to stop his opponent.
    It was an unusual election since it was called for a reason that half the electorate (and probably more than half of regular voters) didn't support.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    dixiedean said:

Missed the previous thread, but I consider myself on the libertarian wing of the Left. If that makes me a trendy lefty, then so be it. I am naturally suspicious of the desire to ban anything we don't particularly like. Drugs, immigration, trans rights, sex work and yes gambling are big philosophical dividing lines on the Left.
    That does carry over to markets too. I am in favour of the government taking a view on what it should provide, such as health care and education and running it on evidence based criteria. And not putting unnecessary restrictions on private business. They will fund a decent welfare state.

I have a piece that's vaguely relevant to this discussion being posted as a PB header later today.
  • Options
    Mr. eek, I'd forgotten that.

Anyway, that's most of the big driver decisions taken now. Still uncertain who'll drive alongside Sainz.

2019 will be the first time since I think 1994 that McLaren doesn't have a race-winning driver (unless Sainz's team mate is one). According to Twitter, anyway.
  • Options

We export $100 billion less than France each year and $60 billion less than Italy, according to Wiki.
    The man is a complete arse and an embarrassment but increasing our exports by another £120bn is indeed what is required to eliminate our trade deficit given that some of these exports will in turn suck in more imports of semi manufactured goods. It is an essential task for our long term standard of living. I just wish government efforts to help in the delivery of such a task was in the hands of someone competent.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The test is what weight are given to the interests of business when they come up against other political priorities.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

It was an unusual election since it was called for a reason that half the electorate (and probably more than half of regular voters) didn't support.
    That's very true. I loved the story that May told the 1922 Committee that she was going on another walking holiday and received shouts of "no" in reply. What was she thinking?
  • Options
    May had a truly horrible camapaign. From calling an election she said she wouldn't, through approving a suicidal Manifesto and to the debates no-show. Just awful.

That chart is the reason that May will never, ever be allowed by Tory MPs to go into another election as PM.

She is working her notice.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Why, because of Boris' outburst about certain business lobbies and their remainer agenda?p
    How very Corbyn of you David.

Businesses don't have a Remainer agenda. They have a shareholder value increasing, efficiency promoting, maximising return on investment agenda.

You Leavers are letting Brexit overwhelm your otherwise sound judgement.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    DavidL said:

The man is a complete arse and an embarrassment but increasing our exports by another £120bn is indeed what is required to eliminate our trade deficit given that some of these exports will in turn suck in more imports of semi manufactured goods. It is an essential task for our long term standard of living. I just wish government efforts to help in the delivery of such a task was in the hands of someone competent.
    A complete arse?

To be complete humans have to have a brain.

May I ask what evidence you have for the existence of Liam Fox's cortex?
  • Options
    Shows that when people pay attention they want to be entertained and engaged.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, I agree May is terrible at campaigning but she may yet remain (ahem).

If she and the anti-Boris faction fear he'd win an election, would that give her the support to continue, if she wanted to?
  • Options
    Just voted in the NEC elections. Wazzocks will probably win (including that utter tool Willsman) but what the hell, got to try and stop them.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Just voted in the NEC elections. Wazzocks will probably win (including that utter tool Willsman) but what the hell, got to try and stop them.

Mr Pioneers, objection.

That post is grossly unfair to wazzocks.
  • Options

May had a truly horrible camapaign. From calling an election she said she wouldn't, through approving a suicidal Manifesto and to the debates no-show. Just awful.

That chart is the reason that May will never, ever be allowed by Tory MPs to go into another election as PM.

May still got a higher voteshare than any Tory leader since Thatcher and no Tory polls better than her bar Boris and Davidson, the latter is distrusted by many MPs and the latter is not even an MP
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    PClipp said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

FPT, IanB2 wrote:

-----

I think you are getting a bit mixed up, Mr HY, in your eagerness to big up the doomed Tory position.

If Corbyn`s Labour are described as "authoritarian", then there is no way that the Liberal Democrats can be seen as having gone to Labour - nor to the authoritarian Tories either. The clue is in the word "liberal" and the axis is liberal - authoritarian.
    Except most of the sandal wearing Corbynite ex LDs were never liberals anyway but authoritarians, at least in the economic sphere, peaking under Blair when the LDs were seen as the socialist, anti Iraq War alternative to New Labour and now firmly back in the Labour fold under Corbyn
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

May still got a higher voteshare than any Tory leader since Thatcher and no Tory polls better than her bar Boris and Davidson, the latter is distrusted by many MPs and the latter is not even an MP
    Its first past the post. National vote tallies / share are an irrelevance. Its seats that count. And she lost your majority. You're doing the same nonsense the Kali Ma Corbynites do - "don't look at what happened, look at this irrelevant stat!"
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    Interestingly, there's a more solid link between Joe McCarthy, of McCarthyism 'fame', and Donald Trump than one might expect.
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/08/19/trump-mcarthyism-joe-mccarthy-219373
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Right now I’d be happy if I were confident that Leavers could fart and chew gum at the same time.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Its first past the post. National vote tallies / share are an irrelevance. Its seats that count. And she lost your majority. You're doing the same nonsense the Kali Ma Corbynites do - "don't look at what happened, look at this irrelevant stat!"
    Even on seats May still got the second highest number of Tory MPs elected after 2015 for the last quarter of a century
  • Options

Thanks for that; a damning critique of the policies and, worse, procedures of the party during the coalition.
    I always thought that the LD’s should have left to Coalition after about two years, especially as the Nasty Party tendency in the Tories became ever more evident.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

A complete arse?

To be complete humans have to have a brain.

May I ask what evidence you have for the existence of Liam Fox's cortex?
    Well he got into medical school and qualified as a GP. That probably puts his intelligence in the top 10% at a minimum, probably higher. But he hides it extremely well.
  • Options
    I see the Australian pm survived a challenge to his leadership. It's been at least a few years since the last one but probably not so much until the next one given how easy it is there- ,he himself came to power by doing so I believe.
  • Options

Thanks for that; a damning critique of the policies and, worse, procedures of the party during the coalition.
    I always thought that the LD’s should have left to Coalition after about two years, especially as the Nasty Party tendency in the Tories became ever more evident.
    They agreed not to under the Coalition agreement and kept their promise. Look how far that got them.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

They agreed not to under the Coalition agreement and kept their promise. Look how far that got them.
    History may be kinder to them than the voters were.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I see the Australian pm survived a challenge to his leadership. It's been at least a few years since the last one but probably not so much until the next one given how easy it is there- ,he himself came to power by doing so I believe.

Yes PM Malcom Turnbull survived a Liberal leadership spill 48 votes to 35 for his right wing opponent Peter Dutton as concern over his energy emissions bill and the rising One Nation vote and Labor poll lead grow.

You are right that Turnbull toppled Abbott after Abbott earlier toppled Turnbull. The same pattern as the ALP where Gillard toppled Rudd then Rudd retoppled Gillard

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-21/politics-live-malcolm-turnbull-sees-off-peter-dutton-challenge/10146280
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The difference is that it is pretty obvious that there will be a serious leadership challenge to May in the relatively near future, but probably next year rather than this. By contrast, in 1989 (i.e. a year before Hesletine kicked things off in 1990), Thatcher personally still looked pretty impregnable within the Tory Party despite the preparations for the poll tax, so it did seem unlikely that she would not be leading the Tories in 1991/92.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Even on seats May still got the second highest number of Tory MPs elected after 2015 for the last quarter of a century
    That one is a keeper. The ‘second highest’ for a ‘quarter of a century’. Absolutely brilliant work.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That one is a keeper. The ‘second highest’ for a ‘quarter of a century’. Absolutely brilliant work.
    And true
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The difference is that it is pretty obvious that there will be a serious leadership challenge to May in the relatively near future, but probably next year rather than this. By contrast, in 1989 (i.e. a year before Hesletine kicked things off in 1990), Thatcher personally still looked pretty impregnable within the Tory Party despite the preparations for the poll tax, so it did seem unlikely that she would not be leading the Tories in 1991/92.
    Yet Heseltine and Major polled better than Thatcher by 1990
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    HYUFD said:

Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And true
    A stunning effort.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How is that challenge going to happen unless there's an attempt to oust TMay? She wants to stay.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    v
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cameron agreed not to open up the Europe debate under the Coalition agreement and kept his promise. Look how far that got him....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

History may be kinder to them than the voters were.
    History will know what came next.
This discussion has been closed.