Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Is Ruth Davidson the new Alec Douglas-Home?

Comments

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    rcs1000 said:

Ruth Davidson is about as different from Alec Douglas Home as it's possible to imagine!

She would be a fantastic choice for leader, but the logistical hurdles are considerable, even if she does want the job.

Both married a woman. Both Scottish. Both Conservatives. Both took over following a period where Britain's position on the world stage was... changed.
    Only one played first-class cricket.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Labour 33,558 76.9%
    Conservative 8,044 8.4%
    Liberal Dem. 1,118 2.6%
    Green 943 1.8%

Good luck with the By Election Frank

Oh your not calling one

Surprise Surprise

Don't remember you asked Jared O'Mara to call one. How odd.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    John_M said:

kinabalu said:

Frank Field has for many years been every Conservative's absolute favourite Labour MP. I wonder who will assume that now vacant position? Contenders must (i) be white working class and (ii) be strongly in favour of Brexit and (iii) be a Conservative.

I like Mike Gapes, though he's a Remainer. He's not afraid to call a spade a spade when he's being lambasted by Corbynites on Twitter.
    He's just a timeserver who enjoys too many lunches and foreign jollies.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Anazina said:

It has never been clear to me what Tory principles Davidson holds dear. She always strikes me as a liberal social democrat, not a conservative.

Her not inconsiderable trick is to manage to triangulate between Tories in general, right wing fruitcakes, loonies & closet racists (to the point of having them as elected members), and dewy eyed, progressive media types in London. I'm not sure that trick can be sustained while having to string together some coherent policies or bearing the responsibilities of government.
    She can, at least, hopefully work out what are the Twitter accounts of her political opponents, and which are spoof ones.

It's quite a useful trick for politicians to have. Or people who comment on politics.

(And yes, I've done the same in the past...)
    On what planet would anyone possibly think that was Ruth Davidson's twitter account, and that she'd be highlighting her own tendency to duck difficult questions? That's the fecking point you tumshie!
    Yeah, you got it wrong.
    Do you reallllly think that? Divvie was pointing out the much commented on tenancy for Davidson to disappear from the media when any tough questions are being asked.
    Yes, I do think he got it wrong. Besides, I'm unsure it is 'much commented on' aside by some silly Conservative-hating people north of the border.

He got it wrong.
    FWIW I'm pretty sure Divvie knew it was a fake, but was being somewhat impish in posting it without mentioning the fact.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    rather upbeat press conference in Brussels
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989

Alistair said:

What's the Scottish sub sample.

This site should report naught but the Scottish subsample.
    SNP 34, Con 27, Lab 24, LD 8, UKIP 3, Greens 3
    SNP down 3% on the 2017 general election on that subsample
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989

Sean_F said:

YouGov have Conservative 39%, Labour 37%, Lib Dem 10%, UKP 5%, taken on Tuesday and Wednesday.

May leads as 35% to 23% as best PM.

Last GE was 48% to 18% at the start of the campaign.
    Tory vote was little changed from the start of the campaign it just lost its gains and Corbyn has already squeezed the left
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

CD13 said:

It would be interesting if Frank Field goes for a by-election.

I admit that I would vote for him, even if I'm no longer a labour Loyalist. He represents what Labour used to be and I suspect he'd have good support in Birkenhead.

It would be a tricky election for Labour. Who would they select? A shouty student Corbynite, or a Mrs Rochester candidate? it was a narrow Leave victory there too.

Suspect he would attract a lot of the 8,000 conservative votes
    Best thing the Tories and LDs can do is stand aside, they have no chance of winning the seat but every chance to seriously embarrass Labour.
    Parties should never stand aside in parliamentary elections. Voters should always have the chance to back a party that represents their views, rather than offering a false forced choice as a result of clever-clever game playing. The public is perfectly capable of voting tactically without the need to rig the ballot paper.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I also suspect Frank may not stand in 2022, but he doesn't like threats to de-select him.

He may not want to hurt the Labour Party and hopes the threat is enough. The political pygmies may be daft enough to call his bluff. if they do - although I seldom bet on politics - I may do so then..
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    edited August 2018

Alistair said:

There was a time on PB when merely mentioning Caledonian Cross Sections ushered in the ban hammer.

Just ask Stuart Dickson.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Lets hope so. Alec Douglas-Home lost.

(I think she is more likely Ted Heath)

By so little that it could have absolutely gone either way. Had the election been on the Friday - after Khrushchev's overthrow and the detonation of the first Chinese atomic bomb - it's quite possible that foreign policy / security could have pushed the election back to the Tories.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    CD13 said:

I think Frank would win a by-election. I think Frank knows this, and I suspect the constituency body who pick their Labour candidate know this too.

If they de-select Frank, he will probably go ahead with a by-election and they will lose the seat, and that is the reality they face.

Basically, he's called their bluff. He holds the ace, and they have an idealistic two of clubs.

There's also risk versus reward to be weighed up. They probably really want to get rid of him, but they might lose the seat. It'll also keep the story in the news for longer, and might even generate some more sympathy for him amongst others in Labour - especially when the more stringent Crobynites go over the top, as they will.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    IanB2 said:

John_M said:

kinabalu said:

Frank Field has for many years been every Conservative's absolute favourite Labour MP. I wonder who will assume that now vacant position? Contenders must (i) be white working class and (ii) be strongly in favour of Brexit and (iii) be a Conservative.

I like Mike Gapes, though he's a Remainer. He's not afraid to call a spade a spade when he's being lambasted by Corbynites on Twitter.
    That description probably fits around 500 MPs. What do you want him to be?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Ruth Davidson is irritatingly wet. If I think that, she’s probably got a good chance of appealing to the median voter who will win us a majority.

I suppose her military service mitigates her Brexit heresy.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

EU contemplates adopting permanent summer time.

It would have been worth staying in for that alone. Important not to underestimate how much practical nuts and bolts stuff like this, and free mobile roaming across the EU, affects the quality of life.

And what stops Westminster deciding that adopting permanent summer time is right for the UK?
    Scottish children going to school in the dark.

Had the indyref gone the other way, we'd be on GMT+1 all year round by now.

Why not retain GMT for Scotland and possibly NI (Glasgow Mean Time) and keep BST year round for England and Wales? Other states manage perfectly well with multiple time zones and I have never grasped why we cannot. The Scottish border makes an obvious and sensible choice for a time zone border.

GMT is just bonkers down here, it makes no sense on any level.
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    Ruth Davidson gets a free ride from the overwhelmingly unionist MSM in Scotland. That would not happen in England. She hits all the right PR notes but has no policies other than "No" to a second independence referendum.

I think the claims of her supporters from down South about her golden political future will prove every bit as inaccurate as their similar claims that Jim Murphy (lost 40 out of 41 seats) was going to save the British labour Party in Scotland.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Alistair said:

Anazina said:

It has never been clear to me what Tory principles Davidson holds dear. She always strikes me as a liberal social democrat, not a conservative.

Her not inconsiderable trick is to manage to triangulate between Tories in general, right wing fruitcakes, loonies & closet racists (to the point of having them as elected members), and dewy eyed, progressive media types in London. I'm not sure that trick can be sustained while having to string together some coherent policies or bearing the responsibilities of government.
    She can, at least, hopefully work out what are the Twitter accounts of her political opponents, and which are spoof ones.

It's quite a useful trick for politicians to have. Or people who comment on politics.

On what planet would anyone possibly think that was Ruth Davidson's twitter account, and that she'd be highlighting her own tendency to duck difficult questions? That's the fecking point you tumshie!
    Yeah, you got it wrong.
    Do you reallllly think that? Divvie was pointing out the much commented on tenancy for Davidson to disappear from the media when any tough questions are being asked.
    Yes, I do think he got it wrong. Besides, I'm unsure it is 'much commented on' aside by some silly Conservative-hating people north of the border.

He got it wrong.
    FWIW I'm pretty sure Divvie knew it was a fake, but was being somewhat impish in posting it without mentioning the fact.
    If that's true, then it's quite a low thing to do, especially as at least one poster believed it.

I might even call it SNP fake news. ;)
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    A by-election would be really unpleasant at the moment. It would be a really dirty, nasty fight with the constituency being flooded with people determined to do for Field rather than putting forward a positive case for Labour as it currently presents itself. It would be bitter, personal and aggressive.

If I were a resident, I would be begging Field to save them from that by staying put.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Let's say Labour go ahead and de-select Frank. They stand an ardent Corbynite against him. Labour vote splits 50 -50 (I think Frank will have the edge). Who's the better campaigner? This is a leave constituency, and has mentioned earlier, the Tories can't win so many well vote to annoy Corbyn.

That's why Field will not be de-selected. Emergency for Labour party over.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    John_M said:

IanB2 said:

John_M said:

kinabalu said:

That description probably fits around 500 MPs. What do you want him to be?
    How about we simply try and big up one of the remaining 150?

Gapes will retire at the next GE, anyhow, and the local party will select a Muslim candidate as his replacement, as they have long agitated for.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Anazina said:

IanB2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It would have been worth staying in for that alone. Important not to underestimate how much practical nuts and bolts stuff like this, and free mobile roaming across the EU, affects the quality of life.

And what stops Westminster deciding that adopting permanent summer time is right for the UK?

Why not retain GMT for Scotland and possibly NI (Glasgow Mean Time) and keep BST year round for England and Wales? Other states manage perfectly well with multiple time zones and I have never grasped why we cannot. The Scottish border makes an obvious and sensible choice for a time zone border.

Scotland does more trade with the rest of the U.K. than the rest of the world. Having a separate timezone is an absolutely daft idea.

It’s almost as mad as Spain being on the same time zone as Poland.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

You'll all be delighted to know I've got 3 (three) Scottish themed threads coming up in the next week.

You'll be delighted to know I'll annoy every Scot across those three pieces, I think there's a danger I might patronise the Scottish Nats to within an inch of their lives.

One of them should be about this:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9476004/Scottish-universities-offer-places-to-fee-paying-foreigners-only.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/27/poor-scots-squeezed-out-of-university-by-snp-cap-on-places/

The most astonishing act of life-chance-destroying apartheid against their own young, for the sake of a slogan - the sort of thing one used to think happened under Chairman Mao. This is the biggest scandal in UK politics today.
    A disgrace.

Why do the SNP hate Scots?
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Anazina said:

IanB2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Scotland does more trade with the rest of the U.K. than the rest of the world. Having a separate timezone is an absolutely daft idea.

How does trading rest upon time zones?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,296
    kinabalu said:

Kate Hoey.

Tally Ho away.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,859
    Anorak said:

Labour 33,558 76.9%
    Conservative 8,044 8.4%
    Liberal Dem. 1,118 2.6%
    Green 943 1.8%

Oh your not calling one

Surprise Surprise

I did he should

LD Gain
  • Options
    "I am the manager of one of the greatest clubs in the world but I am one of the greatest managers in the world."

Three guesses who said this at their press conference today...
  • Options

Anorak said:

Labour 33,558 76.9%
    Conservative 8,044 8.4%
    Liberal Dem. 1,118 2.6%
    Green 943 1.8%

Oh your not calling one

Surprise Surprise

I did he should

LD Gain
    Nailed on Tory gain if I was the Tory candidate.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Anazina said:

IanB2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Wut? Timezones are for longitudinal differences. I don't care if it's 6pm in Edinburgh when it's 5pm here, or vice versa.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

Anazina said:

IanB2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

What utter rot. One hour difference makes sod all difference to trade. You are talking complete nonsense. I'm looking forward to your exposition of the economic time zone penalty between Atlanta and New Orleans; Chicago and Indianapolis.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2018
    The research showed abusive tweets made up:
    ■ 6.6% of Boris Johnson's Twitter timeline in 2015 - and 9.3% in 2017
    ■ 4.6% of Jeremy Hunt's timeline in 2015, rising to 8.6%
    ■ 2.5% of Diane Abbott's timeline in 2015, rising to 3.4%

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45363720
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,925

"I am the manager of one of the greatest clubs in the world but I am one of the greatest managers in the world."

Three guesses who said this at their press conference today...

Three, three. More guesses than the rest of the premier league mangers combined.
  • Options

CD13 said:

I think Frank would win a by-election. I think Frank knows this, and I suspect the constituency body who pick their Labour candidate know this too.

If they de-select Frank, he will probably go ahead with a by-election and they will lose the seat, and that is the reality they face.

Basically, he's called their bluff. He holds the ace, and they have an idealistic two of clubs.

There's also risk versus reward to be weighed up. They probably really want to get rid of him, but they might lose the seat. It'll also keep the story in the news for longer, and might even generate some more sympathy for him amongst others in Labour - especially when the more stringent Crobynites go over the top, as they will.

Corbynites are agitating for Galloway to run if FF calls a by election
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    IanB2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Why don't the Scots just get up and start work/school an hour later instead of inflicting a poor alternative on those south of the border...although I suppose we could just do the opposite. It is only an hour difference afterall!
  • Options
    Independent

Frank Field has said he still wants to stand as a Labour MP under Jeremy Corbyn at the next election, despite resigning the whip and issuing a fierce attack on the party leader.

Basically if Birkenhead CLP were persuaded not to deselect him he would return

Man of principle/ Entitled

You decide
  • Options

CD13 said:

That would be stupid
  • Options

A by-election would be really unpleasant at the moment. It would be a really dirty, nasty fight with the constituency being flooded with people determined to do for Field rather than putting forward a positive case for Labour as it currently presents itself. It would be bitter, personal and aggressive.

If I were a resident, I would be begging Field to save them from that by staying put.

In Birkenhead, I think Field's voting record of propping up the Tory government would be hard to counter.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, comrades.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Labour 33,558 76.9%
    Conservative 8,044 8.4%
    Liberal Dem. 1,118 2.6%
    Green 943 1.8%

Oh your not calling one

Surprise Surprise

I did he should

LD Gain
    Well obviously

Did you enjoy BlackKklansman?

Were you writing an Anti Semitism thread?

Was it even you??
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Labour 33,558 76.9%
    Conservative 8,044 8.4%
    Liberal Dem. 1,118 2.6%
    Green 943 1.8%

Oh your not calling one

Surprise Surprise

Field will look stupidly and cowardly if he fails to call one now. If he wasn't 100% sure he was going to call one, he ought not have floated the idea.
    He isn't in anyway obliged to. He is perhaps hoping (as I do) that others might join him. There may only be a few, but a new "Independent Labour" group that is prepared to reaccept the Labour whip after a change of leadership will be an interesting dynamic that could last all the way to the GE, and possibly even beyond
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Well that's boring
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    @ Topping.

Yes, Kate H must be the clear fav.

Per the Shipman tome on the Ref she gets on famously with Nigel Farage.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Labour 33,558 76.9%
    Conservative 8,044 8.4%
    Liberal Dem. 1,118 2.6%
    Green 943 1.8%

Oh your not calling one

Surprise Surprise

Field will look stupidly and cowardly if he fails to call one now. If he wasn't 100% sure he was going to call one, he ought not have floated the idea.
    He isn't in anyway obliged to. He is perhaps hoping (as I do) that others might join him. There may only be a few, but a new "Independent Labour" group that is prepared to reaccept the Labour whip after a change of leadership will be an interesting dynamic that could last all the way to the GE, and possibly even beyond
    Agree on all counts.

(And yes, he isn't obliged to, I was merely examining the optics)
  • Options

Independent

Frank Field has said he still wants to stand as a Labour MP under Jeremy Corbyn at the next election, despite resigning the whip and issuing a fierce attack on the party leader.

Man of principle/ Entitled

You decide

Probably both in equal measure
  • Options

Good afternoon, comrades.

Fraternal greetings, comrade Dancer. I trust you have met the Wordsmith committee's literary quota this fine socialist Friday?
  • Options
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    CD13 said:

Be interesting to know how many of his local party would canvass for him - and not the official Labour candidate. He's been there since 1979 - since Maggie became PM for God's sake! That is a couple of generations of voters he must have helped. And he would be calling an election for the very best of reasons - his party has become the party of anti-semites.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,577
    "considering the position he inherited...."

A neat double entendre.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Labour 33,558 76.9%
    Conservative 8,044 8.4%
    Liberal Dem. 1,118 2.6%
    Green 943 1.8%

Oh your not calling one

Surprise Surprise

I did he should

LD Gain
    I stand corrected. Apologies.
  • Options

That's interesting, thanks.

It certainly contradicts the meme propagated on here that Diane Abbott faces more abuse than any other MP (mainly by people who couldn't be bothered to read the original research).

It also seems Conservatives MPs may be facing more abuse than Labour MPs - and TBF, I'd expect the governing party to get more abuse.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Be interesting to know how many of his local party would canvass for him - and not the official Labour candidate. He's been there since 1979 - since Maggie became PM for God's sake! That is a couple of generations of voters he must have helped. And he would be calling an election for the very best of reasons - his party has become the party of anti-semites.
    Independent

• Options

Anorak said:

Labour 33,558 76.9%
    Conservative 8,044 8.4%
    Liberal Dem. 1,118 2.6%
    Green 943 1.8%

Oh your not calling one

Surprise Surprise

I did he should

LD Gain
    Well obviously

Was it even you??
    I loved BlacKKKlansman.

I only went to see it for the anti-Semitism in it, gave me a feel for what a meeting of Labour members is like.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Anorak said:

Alistair said:

Anazina said:

Yeah, you got it wrong.

He got it wrong.
    It's an incredibly obvious fake account, what with the mass of numbers after the twitter handle and the single posting topic, and the #darkmoney hashtag. It's not like the subtle Nicola Sturgeon fake account that Carlotta keeps being fooled by. The only purpose of the fake Davidson account is to count how long it is since she's done an interview.
  • Options
    It is interesting that even centre ground politics has its own "splitters"
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

CD13 said:

The by-election would come down to an unseemly spat between Frank Field and the Corbynistas. A lot would depend on whether voters decided he was being treated unfairly by the party. No doubt the slavering Corbynista attack-dogs laying into him would push voters towards him. I think he'd have a good chance of winning.
  • Options
    Mr. M, greetings, comrade.

Unfortunately my literary output recently has been less than I would hope, though naturally I have met the people's daily word count for the proletariat guideline.
  • Options
    JPJ2 said:

Ruth Davidson gets a free ride from the overwhelmingly unionist MSM in Scotland. That would not happen in England. She hits all the right PR notes but has no policies other than "No" to a second independence referendum...

I think most of us - and certainly the vast majority of the electorate - would be hard pressed to say what exactly policies Nicola Sturgeon has other than "yes" to a second independence referendum.

If you're considering her ability to achieve the leadership of the Tory party, it's hardly relevant. Were she to get a place in the cabinet, things would change, of course.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,066
    edited August 2018

Alistair said:

Anazina said:

Yeah, you got it wrong.

He got it wrong.
    Please give me the benefit of your enormous intellect and explain why a) anyone would think Ruth Davidson would be tweeting that she hadn't been interviewed by the BBC for 102 days, and b) append that with the hashtags #darkmoney, #Brexit, #windrush, and #indyref2, three of which are subjects that are precisely the things she doesn't want to be asked about by the BBC, or anyone else?

In your own time.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Labour 33,558 76.9%
    Conservative 8,044 8.4%
    Liberal Dem. 1,118 2.6%
    Green 943 1.8%

Oh your not calling one

Surprise Surprise

I did he should

LD Gain
    Well obviously

Was it even you??
    I loved BlacKKKlansman.

I only went to see it for the anti-Semitism in it, gave me a feel for what a meeting of Labour members is like.
    Strangely it confirmed to me that real AS is of the Right

And that the devaluation of the term by Corbyn haters is dangerous stuff.

Good film though and the Trump bit was chilling
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I note 'The Rangers' are to be reunited with Villarreal in the Uefa Cup.

Keen followers of the Glasgow branch of the UVF will remember that the last time these charmers visited they livened up the occasion by singing anti-catholic anthems at the Spanish fans.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2345623/Rangers-plead-with-fans-over-chants.html
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

"considering the position he inherited...."

A neat double entendre.

The original version was 'considering he had to clean up the mess created by a degenerate sex obsessed former Bullingdon boy'
  • Options

It is interesting that even centre ground politics has its own "splitters"
    Unfortunately there are people, across the political spectrum, who think that a large amount of money can deliver them a shortcut to political power. Thankfully our political system isn't yet so biddable as that in the US.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Anorak said:

Alistair said:

Anazina said:

Yeah, you got it wrong.

He got it wrong.
    It's an incredibly obvious fake account, what with the mass of numbers after the twitter handle and the single posting topic, and the #darkmoney hashtag. It's not like the subtle Nicola Sturgeon fake account that Carlotta keeps being fooled by. The only purpose of the fake Davidson account is to count how long it is since she's done an interview.
    Yet at least one person thought it was real. We are surrounded by so much information it's hard to check all of it. If someone is going to make silly or pathetic points, don't do it by posting false Twitter accounts without saying they're fake.

That's just fake news. :)
  • Options

Anorak said:

Labour 33,558 76.9%
    Conservative 8,044 8.4%
    Liberal Dem. 1,118 2.6%
    Green 943 1.8%

Oh your not calling one

Surprise Surprise

I did he should

LD Gain
    Well obviously

Was it even you??
    I loved BlacKKKlansman.

Yeah, the Trump bit was very chilling.

America First.
  • Options

Mr. M, greetings, comrade.

Unfortunately my literary output recently has been less than I would hope, though naturally I have met the people's daily word count for the proletariat guideline.

Mr Dancer good F1 news about Suzuka today
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,268
    tlg86 said:

Jennings can bowl?

Worth a try. Certainly can't bat. Or catch.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited August 2018
    Anazina said:

Keen followers of the Glasgow branch of the UVF will remember that the last time they visited they livened up the occasion by singing anti-catholic anthems at the Spanish fans.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2345623/Rangers-plead-with-fans-over-chants.html

Not like their neighbours have ever been in trouble before...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40674198
  • Options

CD13 said:

Ha. I read that as Fianna Fail.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

It certainly contradicts the meme propagated on here that Diane Abbott faces more abuse than any other MP (mainly by people who couldn't be bothered to read the original research).

It also seems Conservatives MPs may be facing more abuse than Labour MPs - and TBF, I'd expect the governing party to get more abuse.
    Not that it particularly matters since all abuse is bad, but I think it's talking about percentage of abusive tweets, rather than overall amounts.

In any case - there was evidence that Dianne Abbott (and women in general) are particularly abused on twitter in a report by Amnesty International here (which looked at only a small window of time coming up to the last election):
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/05/diane-abbott-more-abused-than-any-other-mps-during-election

• Options

CD13 said:

That would be stupid
    It would be stupid not because he might lose but because he might win.
  • Options
    Interesting poll results: 60% disapprove of Trump; 61% think he likely committed a crime; 49% think impeachment proceedings should get underway -
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/page/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2018/08/31/National-Politics/Polling/release_528.xml
  • Options

Alistair said:

Anazina said:

Yeah, you got it wrong.

He got it wrong.
    Please give me the benefit of your enormous intellect and explain why a) anyone would think Ruth Davidson would be tweeting that she hadn't been interviewed by the BBC for 102 days, and b) append that with the hashtags #darkmoney, #Brexit, #windrush, and #indyref2, three of which are subjects that are precisely the things she doesn't want to be asked about by the BBC, or anyone else?

In your own time.
    Because they made an hilarious faux pas that they now are too proud to admit to?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Anazina said:

Yeah, you got it wrong.

He got it wrong.

In your own time.
    Oh, grow up. You either got it wrong or went out to deliberately mislead. Choose either.
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, indeed, though I must admit I wasn't aware there was a question mark over the circuit (although that seems practically the default setting for old classic tracks nowadays).

I still remember being very annoyed when Japanese qualifying was rained off due to some sort of cyclone.
  • Options

CD13 said:

The by-election would come down to an unseemly spat between Frank Field and the Corbynistas. A lot would depend on whether voters decided he was being treated unfairly by the party. No doubt the slavering Corbynista attack-dogs laying into him would push voters towards him. I think he'd have a good chance of winning.
    As opposed to the current unseemly spat ?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Jennings can bowl?

Sounds a bit like the Adam Ant song.
  • Options
    If Nadine Dorries dislikes her, I like her even more
  • Options

CD13 said:

That would be stupid
    Agreed in a straight fight with FF he probably would.

I would have to abstain or vote Green
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    rkrkrk said:

Not that it particularly matters since all abuse is bad, but I think it's talking about percentage of abusive tweets, rather than overall amounts.

In any case - there was evidence that Dianne Abbott (and women in general) are particularly abused on twitter in a report by Amnesty International here (which looked at only a small window of time coming up to the last election):
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/05/diane-abbott-more-abused-than-any-other-mps-during-election
    Ahem. You might want to read the research behind that. For one thing, it looked at female MPs only, and therefore 'women in general' will tend to feature rather highly. This magically got changed to 'all MPs' by some, when this new research seems to show that men get more abuse by women.

Still, the more research on this topic, the better.

I've just skimmed this new research. It looks interesting, and although I haven't dug deeply into their methodology (and might have similar problems to the Amnesty one), it seems to have interesting data and findings.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/324218979_Online_Abuse_of_UK_MPs_in_2015_and_2017_Perpetrators_Targets_and_Topics

But yes, Twitter abuse says something rather sad about our society, whoever it is targeted at.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

You have to remember that their little green helpers will probably only stand in a token seat or 2 at a GE.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Jennings can bowl?

England are getting put to the sword at the moment (and if that doesn't cause a wicket to fall I give up).
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    I had no idea about Owen Jones and his history of editing Wikipedia...

https://twitter.com/NudderingNudnik/status/987090024700182528

Scary
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Anorak said:

Labour 33,558 76.9%
    Conservative 8,044 8.4%
    Liberal Dem. 1,118 2.6%
    Green 943 1.8%

Oh your not calling one

Surprise Surprise

I did he should

LD Gain
    Well obviously

Was it even you??
    I loved BlacKKKlansman.

You cannot be allowed to get away with that. the claim that calling Corbyn antisemitic "devalues" the term implies that there are levels of antisemitism low enough that they are permissible, or do not count, or are within some sort of de minimis rule. And anyone who thinks that is quite simply a c**t, and an antisemite. Sorry, but there it is.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Anazina said:

Yeah, you got it wrong.

He got it wrong.

In your own time.
    Oh, grow up. You either got it wrong or went out to deliberately mislead. Choose either.
    Ah, I got it wrong because I thought an account highlighting Ruth Davidson's media cowardice was actually Ruth Davidson highlighting Ruth Davidson's media cowardice, or I was misleading people into thinking an account highlighting Ruth Davidson's media cowardice was real? Fascinating.

You'll be resorting to snitty little replies starting with 'Look' next.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Anazina said:

Yeah, you got it wrong.

He got it wrong.

In your own time.
    Because they made an hilarious faux pas that they now are too proud to admit to?
    Are you talking about me? If you notice, I was the one who pointed out to Divvie that it wasn't her account. So what 'hilarious faux pas' are you referring to?
  • Options

Ah, I got it wrong because I thought an account highlighting Ruth Davidson's media cowardice was actually Ruth Davidson highlighting Ruth Davidson's media cowardice, or I was misleading people into thinking an account highlighting Ruth Davidson's media cowardice was real? Fascinating.

Look, (*) someone got confused by it, as a reply to your original posts shows.

(*) Since it seems to annoy you.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,296
    Anazina said:

Keen followers of the Glasgow branch of the UVF will remember that the last time these charmers visited they livened up the occasion by singing anti-catholic anthems at the Spanish fans.

Dear god don't get BJO started on Israel/Palestine again.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Jennings can bowl?

England are getting put to the sword at the moment (and if that doesn't cause a wicket to fall I give up).
    Given the scoring rate, it's more like slow torture.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,925
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

Jennings can bowl?

Given the scoring rate, it's more like slow torture.
    3.46 is a good run rate for a test.
  • Options

CD13 said:

It would be interesting if Frank Field goes for a by-election.

I admit that I would vote for him, even if I'm no longer a labour Loyalist. He represents what Labour used to be and I suspect he'd have good support in Birkenhead.

It would be a tricky election for Labour. Who would they select? A shouty student Corbynite, or a Mrs Rochester candidate? it was a narrow Leave victory there too.

Suspect he would attract a lot of the 8,000 conservative votes
    He would need all 8000 plus 13000 Labour defectors to win,

You are in dreamland Big G

Birkenhead is deep OHHHHHHH JEEEERRRRREMY COOOORRRRBBBYN territory.

What manifesto will Frank have voting with the Tories on BREXIT

With UKIP on Immigration

and with JHB on Musllim matters
    Just caught up on this BJO.

Reporting from his constituency indicates strong local support for him.

The Echo is going big on the story and the factions tearing the local party apart.

He only needs just over one third of the labour votes plus tactical voting to win

It is not as easy as you may think

• Options
    edited August 2018

Fair enough, if you were confused you were confused.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204
    edited August 2018
    kinabalu said:

So that's Corbyn, Abbott, Pidcock, Thornberry, Long-Bailey, Smith and Starmer out under (I) and (II) and Rayner out under (II).

There is only one man who is white working class, hates the EU like poison (however much he tries to hide it) and wants to take us back to the 50s.

Step forward John Macdonnell MP.
  • Options
    On topic I can see a time when Ruth ends up leading the Conservatives but it won't be until after Brexit is over because of her position on that. She is personable, witty and an excellent organiser. Whether she can actually run a public institution is an unknown because she has never had to.

She does benefit considerably from being a big fish in a small pond up here. Nicola is a skilled and dogged politician but other than her the competition is very modest bordering on embarrassing. She would find Westminster a lot more testing but she is young enough and clever enough to learn.

I think that there is an argument that she has taken the Scottish Tories as far as she can (much further than most of them ever dreamed was possible). Davidson for FM looks a pretty much unbridgeable stretch and my guess is the Tories will be playing defense rather than offense at the next GE. There is still ground to recover in local government but that is about it.
  • Options

Fair enough, if you were confused you were confused.

Look, (*) I was the poster who first pointed out that was not her account. If you think that makes me 'confused', then the problem is yours.

(*) Again, does this annoy you? ;)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

You have to remember that their little green helpers will probably only stand in a token seat or 2 at a GE.
    What about Ruth's little Kipper helpers? Yougov subsamples aside, are they now completely assimilated into the racist fruitcake wing of the SCons?
  • Options
    Fecking hell, England's slips have just caught one.
  • Options

CD13 said:

That would be stupid
    Agreed in a straight fight with FF he probably would.

I would have to abstain or vote Green
    He probably would what?

I'm far from convinced that the one thing needed to close down Labour's antisemitism problem is George Galloway on their benches.

This discussion has been closed.