Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Further thoughts on Chris Williamson succeeding Jeremy Corbyn

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

We’re the ones that keep on saying no deal is better than a bad deal.

This is the reality of that.

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1038343133531197442
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,367

This is Ivan Rogers' view of No Deal.

http://www.britishirishchamber.com/2018/09/07/sir-mark-ivan-rogers-kcmg-speech-at-british-irish-chamber-of-commerce-annual-gala-dinner/

Advocates of “no deal” know this really. They know that a genuine “no deal” would bring several key sectors of the economy to a halt. So they argue that European self-interest will be the deus ex machina which delivers a whole set of legal mini deals ensuring that it’s all alright on the night.

This is, I fear, simply delusional.

I am all for knowing in any negotiation what, in negotiators’ jargon, one’s Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement – one’s BATNA – is. It is particularly important in a negotiation like this one, where the default if there is no deal is not the status quo.

But it is simply not the case that the best alternative here is a set of negotiated mini deals!

Let’s think it through.. The reality, in any breakdown scenario, is that any UK PM who felt obliged to say that the Withdrawal negotiations had reached a dead end, would refuse to pay the exit bills.

And the inevitable response to that from all 27 in the Council the following day would be to say there would be no resumption of normal trading relations with the UK unless and until it had agreed to honour its full debts.

In the meantime, the 27 would no doubt enact, at 27, the emergency provisions, which enabled whatever continuity in whichever sectors it deemed in its interests. That would not mean the complete cessation of all business. Of course not. It just means an entirely unilateral and deliberately asymmetric selection by the EU of where there will be continuity and where there will not.

That is not taking back control. That is giving it up.

The EU would calculate that the UK would be back at the table with its chequebook out within the week.
    I sat in a meeting with David Davis where he said it would be alright.

That there’s be no disruption.

He’s like my boxer shorts, full of bollocks.
    Do you have many of them, or are they just very large ?
    (a rhetorical question which I’d rather you didn’t answer.)

@DavidL The ball is doing disappointingly little for the English bowlers.
    Well done, sir. You played a blinder while I was away this afternoon.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    edited September 2018
    notme said:

HYUFD said:

notme said:

HYUFD said:

notme said:

This is Ivan Rogers' view of No Deal.

But it is simply not the case that the best alternative here is a set of negotiated mini deals!

Let’s think it through.. The reality, in any breakdown scenario, is that any UK PM who felt obliged to say that the Withdrawal negotiations had reached a dead end, would refuse to pay the exit bills.

And the inevitable response to that from all 27 in the Council the following day would be to say there would be no resumption of normal trading relations with the UK unless and until it had agreed to honour its full debts.

In the meantime, the 27ntrol. That is giving it up.

The EU would calculate that the UK would be back at the table with its chequebook out within the week.

There’s a lot of truth in that a true not economy from the global trading system.

I think the most likely deal now is a Withdrawal Agreement based on Chequers Plus ie we stay aligned with single market rules as well as EU goods rules but with the ability to do our own trade

That will get us the transition period but we will basically be in the single market and customs union rules wise for the most part
    arket if we so desire.

Complete cock up.
    No, it is the only proposal whictable to the DUP and at least does some change on free movement unlike EFTA/EEA
    We could do free movement restrictions if we wanted. We have zero restrictions. It’s free movement of labour not people. We impose none of the rules that are allowed. And we have a welfare system that rewards low pay. If after three months they have no work or means to support themselves we are entirely free to deport them. We don’t now. Why would we in future.
    No we could not have any free movement restrictions for the first 3 months under EEA free movement rules, only after 3 months.

The Chequers Deal proposed work permits or study places on arrival not after 3 months, similar to the transition controls we could have had in 2004 but Blair refused to introduce. It is also a myth to say nobody in the UK without a job offer or study place from the EEA after 3 months is not deported at the moment.

If they are staying longer than 3 months they cannot really claim to still be tourists.
  • Options
    A thought on Boris: might this 'leak' not be from his camp?

He's just announced he's getting divorced, and his mind is bound to be more elsewhere than usual. Might someone have decided that now is a good time to see him off, especially as some would-be supporters might be put off by activities in his personal life?

He can probably only march his men to the top of the hill once before he starts to look like a cowardly-custard, and this story might force him to launch an attempt before he's ready, and at a time he's not looking particularly good.

It'd be a risky strategy...
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Scott_P said:

For some reason the words emperor and clothes slipped into my mind.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Do you have many of them, or are they just very large ?
    (a rhetorical question which I’d rather you didn’t answer.)

(Snip)
    There are other alternatives. For instance, TSE's boxer shorts might be *very* small. Or they might be a bikini-style thong to hold his bollocks, leaving everything else to hang free.

But if they're 'full' of bollocks, there is no room for any of the usual things kept in boxer shorts. Therefore they must be elsewhere in his body. So next time someone accused him of talking out of his arse, it'll be because his tiny boxer shorts are full of bollocks and his arse has migrated to where his mouth should be...

I'll leave where the meat went to the imagination of others ... :)
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    He is quite simply the dumbest f*cker ever to hold the office of President*.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If Corbyn goes and is succeeded by Williamson it is difficult to see how the Labour Party does not split as Williamson has been pushing the deselection of Labour moderates. A Williamson leadership would likely see Umunna and other moderates defect en masse to a new centrist party formed with the LDs and maybe a few pro EU Tories

And history and fptp shows that’s the end of them. A suitable end for New Labour - flushing themselves down the pan of history.

Free from baggage and division of New Labour, You will, You WILL then have a United Labour Party as the party of first opposition and then government. So all the Tories enjoying this moment... the last laughs on you :)

Watch. I’ll now demonstrate what I mean by calling out New Labour in terms they can’t answer.

“Call off your dogs” is extremely insulting language to use on colleagues. About as diplomatic as Trump on a “being nice, being very very nice” day.

Why the word dogs Chuck? Why not the word vermin? Animals? Scum? All those words interchangeable in your schoolboy rant with it’s ridiculous “we have unquestionable divine right to be here” stink about it.

Fact. The people (note I say people, the word you should have used instead of dogs) who will be deselected in the coming weeks and months, actually have no unquestionable divine right to be Labour candidates to be honest with you. Two thirds of the PLP are born in blood New Labour, who bankrupted Britain and killed millions whilst destabilising Middle East with unnecessary wars, they do not represent the Labour Party membership or broader Labour movement one iota. Why are they even hanging around in politics, the country will never allow New Labour to form a government again, quite rightly.

Fact. What is actually wrong with Democratic reelection of candidates, so constituency members actually have candidate who represents their views?

Is there New Labour anywhere capable of addressing these facts with intelligent answer, without merely being as unconvincing undiplomatic and insulting as Chuck your spokesman has been today?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

an undertaking of great advantage but no-one to know what it is!!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619

viewcode said:

Good to see Julie Burchill doing her bit for the Remain campaign.
    https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1038185017103400960

“It’s very easy for people in the affluent South to be Remainers. It’s a purely selfish vote, no matter how much they talk about brotherhood of man and internationalism. It’s purely because their lives are going just fine for them. I reverted to my old self which was a very poor working class girl from the West Country, where my people have been treated like dumb pawns in the European game for many generations. I reverted to my class type and voted for Brexit as a protest, because their vote is all they have and Brexiteers are the true democrats. Their vote is all they have and they used it.”

The old gifts never die. Julie can still use language like a rapier, when the mood takes her.

You could hardly find a better skewering of the monied Toppings and Meeks and WilliamGlenns.

And the desolation of “Their vote is all they have and they used it” still tugs the heart.
    If I may politely disagree for a moment. Goodwin is clear on the coalition that carried Leave over the line: Left Behind Leavers (middle-aged working-class, struggling financially),
    Blue-Collar Pensioners (retired not struggling financially) and Affluent Eurosceptics (wealthy social conservatives)
    . Burchill is in the third category, hasn't been working-class for decades and is famously careless in her relationships. @TheScreamingEagles is more qualified to be working-class.
    What's the split of that coalition?
    Genuinely don't know.

Parenthetically, it might be worth finding out. @CarlottaVance has been nagging me to understand why Leavers voted Leave. I shied away at this on the grounds that comprehension doesn't lead to agreement (there's a PJ O'Rourke quote about "the more you understand, the less you forgive") and since the vote's done ("war's over. We lost") there's no profit in it. However as an academic exercise it might be worth looking into it. There are four approaches

* The Ashcroft polls: why did individuals vote Leave?
    * The Goodwin groups: why did categories vote Leave
    * The Dennison[1] countries: why did the UK Leave, as opposed to Ireland, Sweden, Greece, etc
    * The British Election Study subcategories: why did races, classes, ages vote Leave

Give me a couple of weeks, see what I can throw together.

[1] https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/conference/fac-socsci/epop-2017/documents/epop-2017-programme-final.pdf
  • Options

Boris at 4.1 on BF.

That's the lowest for a long time iirc.

And higher prices with the books, which suggests someone is backing Boris on Betfair to create the story rather than to maximise winnings.
  • Options
    glw said:

Though his policy of demanding plants and jobs be brought back to the USA is popular with his base
  • Options
    edited September 2018

HYUFD said:

If Corbyn goes and is succeeded by Williamson it is difficult to see how the Labour Party does not split as Williamson has been pushing the deselection of Labour moderates. A Williamson leadership would likely see Umunna and other moderates defect en masse to a new centrist party formed with the LDs and maybe a few pro EU Tories

And history and fptp shows that’s the end of them. A suitable end for New Labour - flushing themselves down the pan of history.

Free from baggage and division of New Labour, You will, You WILL then have a United Labour Party as the party of first opposition and then government. So all the Tories enjoying this moment... the last laughs on you :)

Watch. I’ll now demonstrate what I mean by calling out New Labour in terms they can’t answer.

“Call off your dogs” is extremely insulting language to use on colleagues. About as diplomatic as Trump on a “being nice, being very very nice” day.

Why the word dogs Chuck? Why not the word vermin? Animals? Scum? All those words interchangeable in your schoolboy rant with it’s ridiculous “we have unquestionable divine right to be here” stink about it.

Fact. The people (note I say people, the word you should have used instead of dogs) who will be deselected in the coming weeks and months, actually have no unquestionable divine right to be Labour candidates to be honest with you. Two thirds of the PLP are born in blood New Labour, who bankrupted Britain and killed millions whilst destabilising Middle East with unnecessary wars, they do not represent the Labour Party membership or broader Labour movement one iota. Why are they even hanging around in politics, the country will never allow New Labour to form a government again, quite rightly.

Fact. What is actually wrong with Democratic reelection of candidates, so constituency members actually have candidate who represents their views?

Is there New Labour anywhere capable of addressing these facts with intelligent answer, without merely being as unconvincing undiplomatic and insulting as Chuck your spokesman has been today?
    You will also see a number of centrist anti Brexit Labour voters move to this new party and if some anti Brexit Tory MPs move to it the Tories will be more united as well
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Parenthetically, it might be worth finding out. @CarlottaVance has been nagging me to understand why Leavers voted Leave. I shied away at this on the grounds that comprehension doesn't lead to agreement (there's a PJ O'Rourke quote about "the more you understand, the less you forgive") and since the vote's done ("war's over. We lost") there's no profit in it. However as an academic exercise it might be worth looking into it. There are four approaches

* The Ashcroft polls: why did individuals vote Leave?
    * The Goodwin groups: why did categories vote Leave
    * The Dennison[1] countries: why did the UK Leave, as opposed to Ireland, Sweden, Greece, etc
    * The British Election Study subcategories: why did races, classes, ages vote Leave

Give me a couple of weeks, see what I can throw together.

[1] https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/conference/fac-socsci/epop-2017/documents/epop-2017-programme-final.pdf

Other sources might be poll movements in relation to daily developments and news headlines, and what Cummings has said was shown in the Leave camp's data in response to different messages.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    You may be right but you will need to explain why rather than just make an assertion.
  • Options

Boris at 4.1 on BF.

That's the lowest for a long time iirc.

And higher prices with the books, which suggests someone is backing Boris on Betfair to create the story rather than to maximise winnings.
    Having said that, Shadsy has just chalked up 3/1.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

glw said:

Though his policy of demanding plants and jobs be brought back to the USA is popular with his base
    Most of what goes into an iPhone is not made by Apple, even the Apple badged bits are mostly manufactured by other companies. Almost all of those companies are not US companies. Apple manufactures their phones where labour costs are low, and where they are close to their suppliers. If Apple manufactured all of their phones in the US, 1. labour costs would be way higher, 2. they'd still pay a lot of tariffs on the components, and 3. they would be far away from their main suppliers.

Trump's understanding of the issues, which I am no way claming to be an expert on, is childish. Trump is really, really f*cking stupid.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

Most of what goes into an iPhone is not made by Apple, even the Apple badged bits are mostly manufactured by other companies. Almost all of those companies are not US companies. Apple manufactures their phones where labour costs are low, and where they are close to their suppliers. If Apple manufactured all of their phones in the US, 1. labour costs would be way higher, 2. they'd still pay a lot of tariffs on the components, and 3. they would be far away from their main suppliers.

Trump's understanding of the issues, which I am no way claming to be an expert on, is childish. Trump is really, really f*cking stupid.
    His supporters will approve though. The only area where has begun to have the glimmering of a point is IP theft.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45460143

McDonnell isn't really paying attention to what is actually going on within his party. Or he is just pretending that it isn't happening.

And to those parroting his lines about 'dogs' - it is clearly a rhetorical reference to 'attack dogs' or 'the dogs of war' - it is not imputing the the people doing the attacking are actually canine. But then you know that, it is just the best/worst you can come up with to try to deny the reality of the aggression being exhibited by the Hard Left.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

I did not necessarily say I agreed with his policy, I just said it would be popular with his rustbelt base, which it will.

It may make sense for Apple to use manufacturers in the Far East where labour is cheaper and they are closer to their suppliers but for someone in Pennsylvania and Michigan who is working at Walmart or unemployed and used to have a reasonably well paid manufacturing job Trump's message will resonate
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    viewcode said:

“It’s very easy for people in the affluent South to be Remainers. It’s a purely selfish vote, no matter how much they talk about brotherhood of man and internationalism. It’s purely because their lives are going just fine for them. I reverted to my old self which was a very poor working class girl from the West Country, where my people have been treated like dumb pawns in the European game for many generations. I reverted to my class type and voted for Brexit as a protest, because their vote is all they have and Brexiteers are the true democrats. Their vote is all they have and they used it.”

The old gifts never die. Julie can still use language like a rapier, when the mood takes her.

You could hardly find a better skewering of the monied Toppings and Meeks and WilliamGlenns.

And the desolation of “Their vote is all they have and they used it” still tugs the heart.
    If I may politely disagree for a moment. Goodwin is clear on the coalition that carried Leave over the line: Left Behind Leavers (middle-aged working-class, struggling financially),
    Blue-Collar Pensioners (retired not struggling financially) and Affluent Eurosceptics (wealthy social conservatives)
    . Burchill is in the third category, hasn't been working-class for decades and is famously careless in her relationships. @TheScreamingEagles is more qualified to be working-class.
    If I may disagree impolitely, that is bollocks.

TSE went (as I understand it) to a private school and Cambridge University.

Julie Burchill left a comprehensive school at 16 and didn’t go to University.

By what crazy metric do you conclude a privately educated Oxbridge graduate from the most affluent part of Sheffield is more working class than someone who left school at 16 with no A levels and no degree from the shittiest part of Bristol ?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

I agree with all you say from a business perspective. But Trump is playing politics. I remember The Apple CEO saying "We will never manufacture in the US." Trump points are that the Globalist Democrats and their friends in business do not care about American Jobs (even though they create a lot of them). Trump - I do care about American jobs and I am fighting for you and your children's jobs.

Intel can have factories in USA. Samsung have announced a semi conductor factory in the USA. Trump will keep asking the questions to Apple why do you not?
  • Options

viewcode said:

If I may disagree impolitely, that is bollocks.

TSE went (as I understand it) to a private school and Cambridge University.

Julie Burchill left a comprehensive school at 16 and didn’t go to University.

By what crazy metric do you conclude a privately educated Oxbridge graduate from the most affluent part of Sheffield is more working class than someone who left school at 16 with no A levels and no degree from the shittiest part of Bristol ?
    I was pointing out the ludicrousness of a careless multimillionairess sincerely believing herself to be working class by comparing her to @TSE, who often claims to be working-class for purposes of comedy. Both claims are ludicrous, but at least @TheScreamingEagles is self-aware when he does it.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    I've been a bit torn but having just seen Chukka Umuna and John McDonnell it's clear McDonnell is making a big mistake. Ummuna is not a Blair Clone but what most on the centre left hope for from their Labour MPs. Heavyweight throwbacks to the 70's like McDonnell is voter poison. Gone was the avuncular uncle and what we saw was very ugly indeed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It may make sense for Apple to use manufacturers in the Far East where labour is cheaper and they are closer to their suppliers but for someone in Pennsylvania and Michigan who is working at Walmart or unemployed and used to have a reasonably well paid manufacturing job Trump's message will resonate

They wouldn't get a "reasonably well paid manufacturing job" in the sort of place that makes the bits that go into an iPhone. That's an issue to do with education, and skills, and has little to do with international trade.

Trump spews an endless stream of lies and BS to his base, and is in practice doing nothing to help them, and by loading costs onto all sorts of goods he will likely make most of them worse off. I've read several anecdotes about all sorts of US businesses that use steel being completely screwed by Trump's policies.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I've been a bit torn but having just seen Chukka Umuna and John McDonnell it's clear McDonnell is making a big mistake. Ummuna is not a Blair Clone but what most on the centre left hope for from their Labour MPs. Heavyweight throwbacks to the 70's like McDonnell is voter poison. Gone was the avuncular uncle and what we saw was very ugly indeed.

Good honest comment - thank you
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    viewcode said:

I was pointing out the ludicrousness of a careless multimillionairess sincerely believing herself to be working class by comparing her to @TSE, who often claims to be working-class for purposes of comedy. Both claims are ludicrous, but at least @TheScreamingEagles is self-aware when he does it.

I think you are wrong. Julie’s attitudes, background and instincts are working class.

Oh, for sure, she became famous and she lost her way.

But the passion and fury of Julie’s articles about politics and Thatcherism in the 80s are still heart-wrenching.

Maybe nowadays you have to dig deep for the ore, but Julie Is working-class.

She fought her way up from a shitty life on a shitty council estate, without the help or advantages of a fancy education and a degree.

And she can still craft a heartbreaker of a line like:

"Their vote is all they have and they used it.”
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Intel can have factories in USA. Samsung have announced a semi conductor factory in the USA. Trump will keep asking the questions to Apple why do you not?

Sp applying Trump "logic" the dozens if not hundreds of international companies supplying Apple are all supposed to open plants in the US, presumably employing MAGA hat wearing Americans?

Honestly Apple might be better off leaving the US. Find a country not run by a bloody lunatic.

No wonder Trump wrote "Trade is bad" on his notes. He actually seems to think that.
  • Options

viewcode said:

I think you are wrong. Julie’s attitudes, background and instincts are working class.

But the passion and fury of Julie’s articles about politics and Thatcherism in the 80s are still heart-wrenching.

She fought her way up from a shitty life on a shitty council estate, without the help or advantages of a fancy education and a degree.

I think she left her roots behind a long time ago, and cares little. That ore you refer to was mined out long ago.
  • Options

Perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick and that's what you're referring to, but I thought JB was very much for Thatcher and her politics in the 1980s?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    glw said:

Sp applying Trump "logic" the dozens if not hundreds of international companies supplying Apple are all supposed to open plants in the US, presumably employing MAGA hat wearing Americans?

Honestly Apple might be better off leaving the US. Find a country not run by a bloody lunatic.

No wonder Trump wrote "Trade is bad" on his notes. He actually seems to think that.
    And then what happens when Apple outsources from China to say India where labour is even cheaper, perhaps China will get its own Trump? (or a Communist Party version)
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    You may be right but you will need to explain why rather than just make an assertion.
    I do ?

• Options
    edited September 2018
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

They wouldn't get a "reasonably well paid manufacturing job" in the sort of place that makes the bits that go into an iPhone. That's an issue to do with education, and skills, and has little to do with international trade.

Trump spews an endless stream of lies and BS to his base, and is in practice doing nothing to help them, and by loading costs onto all sorts of goods he will likely make most of them worse off. I've read several anecdotes about all sorts of US businesses that use steel being completely screwed by Trump's policies.
    I agree most of the problem has to do with too few Americans having reached a sufficient level of education and skill and technical training to get the types of reasonably well paid manufacturing jobs available now especially with automation of more routine roles but in political terms Trump goes for the gut of resentment and anger which is still there in the rustbelt Midwest at the jobs people feel entitled to which are no longer theirs as of right
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

glw said:

And then what happens when Apple outsources from China to say India where it is even cheaper, perhaps China will get its own Trump? (or a Communist Party version)
    There are plants making iPhones in India now.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

I think she left her roots behind a long time ago, and cares little. That ore you refer to was mined out long ago.
    My father grew up on a shitty council estate. He died some years ago, a wealthy man.

But, he remained working class in instinct, outlook, sympathies and politics -- for better or for worse -- till the day he died.

Mentally, emotionally, he never left the grim & hopeless Valleys council estate on which he grew up, though he died in a rich man’s house in the Home Counties.

Burchill is working class.

She is habitually, emotionally working class. It just doesn’t matter what is in her bank account,
  • Options
    That is a very neat tweet. Someone in the office is having a good day.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    glw said:

Trump is playing politics. He wants something off China and the EU. With the EU he made a lot of noise and all the business experts said "he would be stupid to apply tariffs." I agree from an economic point of view, but Trump is using them politically. He wants something from the EU and he is applying his leverage and that is, you all have a trade surplus with us so I am going to attack it.
    Then when he gets what he wants off the EU and it has been reported in the press, that Germany is very concerned about 25% tariffs on cars, he will tweet "Trump winning for America again."
  • Options

Perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick and that's what you're referring to, but I thought JB was very much for Thatcher and her politics in the 1980s?
    Julie was certainly passionately anti-Thatcherite in the essays in “Love it or Shove it” written in 1985.

I haven’t followed her politics since, but some of the essays in that book are fine, and strongly critical of the greed and duplicity of the Thatcher years.

Julie was in favour of ‘the Falklands War’, on the grounds that it was a war against fascism.

Of course, cocaine and sex and money may well have warped Julie's vision since.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You will also see a number of centrist anti Brexit Labour voters move to this new party and if some anti Brexit Tory MPs move to it the Tories will be more united as well
    Labour didn’t lose to Thatcher in 79 and 83 because it was too left wing and divided, it lost then because it had been in power majority of the previous twenty years. If you can’t see the Tories are about to hand keys to no10 to Labour for a generation then you are blind.
  • Options

Yes that's quite a good bit of self deprecation.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Excellent! I’m glad you’ve made yourself available to answer the question. Now answer the question.

Q) What is actually wrong with Democratic reelection of candidates, so constituency members actually have candidate who represents their views?
  • Options
    glw said:

Yes that's quite a good bit of self deprecation.
    Could well be a good line for them to follow. It works well
  • Options
    This is quite good on the economy and Brexit, though damning on British policy of the last 25 years. Supposed to be from right leaning Policy Exchange, but certainly reads left leaning.

Somewhere in here is the future. Not that I see anyone from Lab, Con, or LD with such a clear eyed perspective.

https://twitter.com/hanskundnani/status/1024388932186918914?s=21
  • Options

Roger said:

Excellent! I’m glad you’ve made yourself available to answer the question. Now answer the question.

Q) What is actually wrong with Democratic reelection of candidates, so constituency members actually have candidate who represents their views?
    MPs are there to represent their constituents - not the tiny number of party activists.
  • Options
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

And then what happens when Apple outsources from China to say India where it is even cheaper, perhaps China will get its own Trump? (or a Communist Party version)
    Which just reinforces the point
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

My father grew up on a shitty council estate. He died some years ago, a wealthy man.

But, he remained working class in instinct, outlook, sympathies and politics -- for better or for worse -- till the day he died.

Mentally, emotionally, he never left the grim & hopeless Valleys council estate on which he grew up, though he died in a rich man’s house in the Home Counties.

She is habitually, emotionally working class. It just doesn’t matter what is in her bank account,
    We will have to disagree. I do not concur that wealthy people still have a hold to a status they left behind decades before.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Julie was certainly passionately anti-Thatcherite in the essays in “Love it or Shove it” written in 1985.

I haven’t followed her politics since,

This may explain your previous quotes. She's been passionately pro-Thatcher and pro-Thatcherism for decades now.

• Options

Roger said:

MPs are there to represent their constituents - not the tiny number of party activists.
    An answer so lame, it’s almost LibDem policy! :)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    glw said:

I think Warren Harding is usually assigned that accolade.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    The disco number was quite entertaining, but despite its retro feel. I don’t think it owed anything to Theresa ....

• Options
    edited September 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And history and fptp shows not represent the Labour Party membership or broader Labour movement one iota. Why are they even hanging around in politics, the country will never allow New Labour to form a government again, quite rightly.

Fact. What is actually wrong with Democlomatic and insulting as Chuck your spokesman has been today?
    You will also see a numbemove to it the Tories will be more united as well
    Labour didn’t lose to Thatcher in 79 and 83 because it was too left wing and divided, it lost then because it had been in power majority of the previous twenty years. If you can’t see the Tories are about to hand keys to no10 to Labour for a generation then you are blind.
    Labour lost in 1979 as we had high inflation, one of the lowest GDP per capitas in western Europe and frequent strikes. Labour lost in 1983 because it was too leftwing and a new centrist party took many of its votes.

If Labour loses the next general election it will be because Corbynism led to a repeat of the latter, if Labour win the next general election we will likely see a repeat of the former. As long as Labour remains in the grip of the hard left and no centrist party is capable of challenging for power the Tories will always be in contention. See France where Hollande and the Socialists won on a leftwing platform in 2012 after being out of power in the legislature for a decade and the Elysee for 17 years and soon the centre right had huge leads in the polls and it was only the centrist Macron and his new En Marche party which ensured the centre right did not return to power in 2017
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Have to agree with that
  • Options
    Is Boris about to pounce?
    If so, he will lose. But perhaps he is simply laying down a marker for the future: “Brexit would have been amazing if I had been PM”.
  • Options
    Julie Birchall has become one of those former lefties who has become a reliable cantankerous righty of the most reactionary kind.

She’s a washed up old drunk and should be ignored.
  • Options

I haven’t followed her politics since, but some of the essays in that book are fine, and strongly critical of the greed and duplicity of the Thatcher years.

Julie was in favour of ‘the Falklands War’, on the grounds that it was a war against fascism.

Of course, cocaine and sex and money may well have warped Julie's vision since.
    I daresay part of the reason she was nice about Thatcher was to annoy luvvies; I tend to find permanent contrarians almost as untrustworthy as the greasy men for all seasons, their positions can be as shallow and ephemeral. I certainly remember Burchill being a fanatical (to the point of being sentimentally saccharine) worshipper of Stalin. How the antisemitic old brute fits in with her current Judeophillia I don't know.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    HYUFD said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

The bulk of the costs accrue in the plants making components, final assembly is a relatively low cost and simple process. Yes Apple could technically open US plants, but most of the work and costs that goes into an iPhone would still be done in plants overseas at Samsung, SK Hynix, TSMC, and many more.

There are a huge number of companies involved in making an iPhone. Donald "Trade is bad" Trump has no more understanding of what Apple does than a small child.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And history and fptp shows not represent the Labour Party membership or broader Labour movement one iota. Why are they even hanging around in politics, the country will never allow New Labour to form a government again, quite rightly.

Fact. What is actually wrong with Democlomatic and insulting as Chuck your spokesman has been today?
    Labour lost in 1979 as we had high inflation, one of the lowest GDP per capitas in western Europe and frequent strikes. Labour lost in 1983 because it was too leftwing and a new centrist party took many of its votes.

If Labour loses the next general election it will be because Corbynism led to a repeat of the latter, if Labour win the next general election we will likely see a repeat of the former. As long as Labour remains in the grip of the hard left and no centrist party is capable of challenging for power the Tories will always be in contention. See France where Hollande and the Socialists won on a leftwing platform in 2012 after being out of power in the legislature for a decade and the Elysee for 17 years and soon the centre right had huge leads in the polls and it was only the centrist Macron and his new En Marche party which ensured the centre right did not return to power in 2017
    The next GE when it comes will be about affordable homes, NHS, education, and the all the pain Brexit has inflicted. I have already worked out the result of such an election, you are still to work it out.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

glw said:

I think Warren Harding is usually assigned that accolade.
    I know he was considered to be corrupt, but as dumb as Trump?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    On topic: in my opinion, no. Chris is much liked by serious activists (not least animal welfare people like me) but I think most members will be looking for a reassuring left-winger to carry on after JC, and I wouldn't say he fits what they'll be looking for.

Wildly off-topic: a friend doing British Council work in Erbil (Kurdish Iraq) recollects a big novel written quite a while back on the area: "It was about a city, built on a tell or mound which itself was built on all the mud of houses built and disintegrated over centuries, and about Jews living there, and how their fate rose and fell with the city through sieges and good times over centuries of different invasions and rules and regimes." She'd love to read it again with her fresh experience of the area. Can anyone help?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

This may explain your previous quotes. She's been passionately pro-Thatcher and pro-Thatcherism for decades now.

There is a beautiful essay in “Love it or Shove it” on her sorrow on 1983 General Election Night.

I think is easy for people who went to University to underestimate what Julie did.

It is so, so hard to come from a council estate without any real qualifications, without a degree, and even get a half-way decent job, let alone rise to the very top of the UK media world. Those jobs are normally reserved for the Oxbridge editor of Varsity or President of Footlights.

My cousins and their families are all still stuck on the council estate that my father left.

So, I still swoon for Julie, though probably the Julie of 1985.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The next GE when it comes will be about affordable homes, NHS, education, and the all the pain Brexit has inflicted. I have already worked out the result of such an election, you are still to work it out.
    Wow. You can see four years ahead into the future?

Tell us, how have you managed to acquire this amazing skill?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well it isn't by the application of reason - his postings make that perfectly clear
  • Options

Wildly off-topic: a friend doing British Council work in Erbil (Kurdish Iraq) recollects a big novel written quite a while back on the area: "It was about a city, built on a tell or mound which itself was built on all the mud of houses built and disintegrated over centuries, and about Jews living there, and how their fate rose and fell with the city through sieges and good times over centuries of different invasions and rules and regimes." She'd love to read it again with her fresh experience of the area. Can anyone help?

The Source by James A. Michener?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    HYUFD said:

glw said:

You don’t build apple plants...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With the greatest respect no one can possibly have any idea about who wins the next election. We do not know from day to day what is happening and certainly Brexit will play out but possibly to an unrecognisable labour party.

Chuka's antics today were pathetic but he would not have done this without a reasonable amount of support from his fellow mps. Labour has torn themselves apart throughout the summer when they had an open goal to attack the government.
  • Options

Julie Birchall has become one of those former lefties who has become a reliable cantankerous righty of the most reactionary kind.

She’s a washed up old drunk and should be ignored.

Thats a bit unkind
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    edited September 2018
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

The bulk of the costs accrue in the plants making components, final assembly is a relatively low cost and simple process. Yes Apple could technically open US plants, but most of the work and costs that goes into an iPhone would still be done in plants overseas at Samsung, SK Hynix, TSMC, and many more.

There are a huge number of companies involved in making an iPhone. Donald "Trade is bad" Trump has no more understanding of what Apple does than a small child.
    All of which is true. But the only thing Trump cares about is that companies like Apple create American jobs in manufacturing (and construction). Preferably in the States where he just squeaked home at the last election.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Roger said:

Because those who turn up are not representative of activists let alone members or voters
  • Options

viewcode said:

There is a beautiful essay in “Love it or Shove it” on her sorrow on 1983 General Election Night.

I think is easy for people who went to University to underestimate what Julie did.

It is so, so hard to come from a council estate without any real qualifications, without a degree, and even get a half-way decent job, let alone rise to the very top of the UK media world. Those jobs are normally reserved for the Oxbridge editor of Varsity or President of Footlights.

My cousins and their families are all still stuck on the council estate that my father left.

So, I still swoon for Julie, though probably the Julie of 1985.
    We all change over time. We are not now what we were, and not what we will be. My father used to say "Every 80yr old was 18 once". People change, and eventually they change into dead people. A rather sad truth, I fear.
  • Options

Roger said:

Because the democracy is limited to party members.
  • Options

Roger said:

And the problem with that is?

The number one reason to have political parties is to educate the voters on issues. You are crazy to even consider circumventing that.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2018
    Greens almost get second place in a German poll for the first time:
    "Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    2h2 hours ago
    Germany, Forsa poll:
    CDU/CSU-EPP: 31% (+1)
    SPD-S&D: 16% (-1)
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 15% (-1)
    AfD-EFDD: 14% (-2)
    LINKE-LEFT: 10% (+2)
    FDP-ALDE: 9% (+1)"
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320

The Source by James A. Michener?
    Ah, perhaps that's it. Thanks - I'll pass it on!
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

You don’t build apple plants...
    Apple has plants and factories which supply it, just mainly in China not the USA

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-04-24/inside-one-of-the-world-s-most-secretive-iphone-factories
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well it isn't by the application of reason - his postings make that perfectly clear
    It’s actually really easy for me. Just read and understand history.

Let’s start with 83. When it came to 83 election result, voters, polling and byelections had shown alliance had taken from Tories, voted Tory, yet alliance boosted in vote share, though obviously not seats, in votes from Labour, but this outcome was because of exactly the reason I just gave you, after just 4 years of fresh conservative government too soon to dump it and go back to what had dominated previous twenty years.

Let me put it another way so hopefully the penny drop for you.

Labour lost in 79 for the same reason Churchill lost in 45.

45, 79, 97 and the next one are part of a set.
  • Options

Most men having a midlife crisis buy a motorbike or a sports car, this buffoon thinks he should run the country.
    I just do the UK rail network :)
  • Options
    edited September 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Corbyn campaigned on all those issues at the last general election and lost plus he backed Brexit and in any case we are heading for a BINO Brexit transition period under May anyway.

The Tories have also promised more money for the NHS and are pushing councils to build more affordable homes since then too
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

When Labour left office in 1979 inflation was significantly lower than the level inherited from the Tories in March 1974. Throughout 1978 RPI inflation had hovered around 8% - though it had ticked up to 10% in May 1979 .
  • Options

Roger said:

Because that's what we all want... MPs who are representative of the tiny minority of the public who not only belong to a party but are also have sufficient time on their hands to go mob handed to a church hall in Dunstable on a Wednesday evening.

Often, the role of MPs (and councillors) is to say to party members, "hold on, I'm elected to represent the whole area, including non-members and including non-supporters, so I'll listen to you but not bend to your every whim".
  • Options
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

'Yes Apple could technically open US plants', point made and until they do Trump will keep hitting them
  • Options

Roger said:

Because that's what we all want... MPs who are representative of the tiny minority of the public who not only belong to a party but are also have sufficient time on their hands to go mob handed to a church hall in Dunstable on a Wednesday evening.

Often, the role of MPs (and councillors) is to say to party members, "hold on, I'm elected to represent the whole area, including non-members and including non-supporters, so I'll listen to you but not bend to your every whim".
    +1
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If Labour loses the next general election it will be because Corbynism led to a repeat of the latter, if Labour win the ne

Let’s start with 83. When it came to 83 election result, voters, polling and byelections had shown alliance had taken from Tories, voted Tory, yet alliance boosted in vote share, though obviously not seats, in votes from Labour, but this outcome was because of exactly the reason I just gave you, after just 4 years of fresh conservative government too soon to dump it and go back to what had dominated previous twenty years.

After 1945 the Tories were back in power after 6 years under Churchill again who beat the leftwing Attlee, after 1979 Labour were out of power for 18 years and only got back with a centrist leader in 1997, after 1997 the Tories were out of power for 13 years and only got back in when Labour replaced their centrist PM with the more leftwing Brown
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

When Labour left office in 1979 inflation was significantly lower than the level inherited from the Tories in March 1974. Throughout 1978 RPI inflation had hovered around 8% - though it had ticked up to 10% in May 1979 .
    Thatcher and Major reversed both the economic failures of Heathism as well as Labour that is true
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If Labour loses the next general election it will be because Corbynism led to a repeat of the latter, if Labour win the ne

After 1945 the Tories were back in power after 6 years under Churchill again who beat the leftwing Attlee, after 1979 Labour were out of power for 18 years and only got back with a centrist leader in 1997, after 1997 the Tories were out of power for 13 years and only got back in when Labour replaced their centrist PM with the more leftwing Brown
    Churchill did not win the popular vote in 1951 and only returned to office courtesy of the Ulster Unionists who then took the Tory Whip.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

'Yes Apple could technically open US plants', point made and until they do Trump will keep hitting them

It wouldn't do what Trump thinks it would do, unless most of Apple's major suppliers shift production to the US as well. Trump doesn't grasp quite why Apple manufactures iPhones overseas. Trump is reducing the complexities of a hugely complicated manufacturing pipeline to a soundbite.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,248
    edited September 2018

Roger said:

The number one reason to have political parties is to educate the voters on issues. You are crazy to even consider circumventing that.
    I've been an active member of a party for 25 years, and I'd defend our campaigns, leaflet contents and so on. But I'm not going to pretend for one second that they are educative.

You might as well say washing powder ads are designed to inform rather than sell - they do have to be technically accurate, but they aren't meant to be a public information campaign.
  • Options

Roger said:

That is so arrogant
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Thatcher and Major reversed both the economic failures of Heathism as well as Labour that is true
    The economy was in better shape in May 1979 when compared with March 1974. Likewise when Labour left office in June 1970 it bequeathed a Budget Surplus and a Balance of Payments Surplus to the incoming Tory Government. No Tory Government has managed to do either - and Heath frittered away his inheritance.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Not now he has an MI5 file......
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    HYUFD said:

"Word has reached me from the Commons' tea room that Boris Johnson is about to go public with a full-frontal leadership bid to topple Theresa May and install himself in Downing Street.

Johnson, enabled by Tory election mastermind and new sidekick Lynton Crosby, has mapped out a timeline to power which will torpedo the PM's Chequers plan for Brexit.

Having scanned the Trump playbook for inspiration (see letterbox attack on Muslim women), Johnson cleared the decks on his personal life after his marriage break-up story appeared in The Sun on Friday.

I am told that Johnson's MP backers are now compiling the requisite 48 names required to send to the backbench 1922 Committee to trigger a no confidence vote in Mrs May. One source even says this will happen on Monday.

Look out for Johnson's Monday column in the Telegraph (invoice £5,000 a time) in which many of his colleagues expect him to fire the gun."

May will win any no confidence vote at the moment, the question will only be her margin of victory
    I agree. I'd go further: I think that a challenge by Boris would increase May's margin of victory, compared to 48 letters going in without a "plot".
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

Did you watch my video on the US-China Trade deficit?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201
    edited September 2018
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Let’s start with 83. When it came to 83 election result, voters, polling and byelections had shown alliance had taken from Tories, votrvative government too soon to dump it and go back to what had dominated previous twenty years.

Churchill did not win the popular vote in 1951 and only returned to office courtesy of the Ulster Unionists who then took the Tory Whip.
    There were only 9 UUP seats, so the Tories on 312 would still have beaten Labour on seats. And don't forget the National Liberals on 17.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Let’s start with 83. When it came to 83 enny drop for you.

So what, Wilson did not win the popular vote in February 1974 but still returned to power as in the UK we have a parliamentary system where whoever wins the largest number of MPs in the Commons forms a government.

Support from the Ulster Unionists then for Churchill is no different to support from the DUP for May now
  • Options
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

It wouldn't do what Trump thinks it would do, unless most of Apple's major suppliers shift production to the US as well. Trump doesn't grasp quite why Apple manufactures iPhones overseas. Trump is reducing the complexities of a hugely complicated manufacturing pipeline to a soundbite.
    Trump wants to get re elected, for that he needs the rustbelt who want more jobs brought back from overseas, so he will keep blasting the likes of Apple as a result
This discussion has been closed.