Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s gains in Scotland were mostly down to the SNP misplac

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s gains in Scotland were mostly down to the SNP misplacing nearly half a million voters, not because of some great love for Corbyn.

The SNP lost nearly half a million votes since the GE2015, Labour only gained fewer than 10,000.

Read the full story here

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    First :o
    For some reason I really enjoy looking at that first graph.
  • Good afternoon, everyone.

Ah, Jeremy Corbyn. Makes the SNP look pro-British. :p
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2018
    Were those direct SNP->Ruth converts, or was it SNP->StayAtHome on one side, and StayAtHome->Ruth on the other? Or indeed some other more complex churn?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    India batting rather well at the moment at The Oval.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2018
    With the greatest of respect to TSE, I think this is simplistic.

Yes, Labour's net change in votes in Scotland in 2017 was pretty minimal. But the net change glosses over that, by common consent, Labour suffered MASSIVE losses to the Conservatives in Scotland, and logically the only way those losses could've been compensated for was by gains from the SNP.

The final Scottish YouGov of 2017 (which came pretty close to the real result) had 21% of Labour's 2015 vote defecting to the Tories, but made up for by them gaining 13% of the 2015 SNP vote (which, in real numbers, is a heck of a lot considering the SNP had half of all voters in 2015):- https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/bgdq83jllw/TimesResults_170605_Scotland_WestminsterVI_LeadersApproval_Independence_W.pdf

And it's also backed up by Labour's patterns in individual seats. Their vote generally went up quite a lot in 2017 in independence-voting areas, while falling in heavily No-voting areas (admittedly Edinburgh South is an exception to that).
  • Interesting stats. Reanimating the Scottish Labour Party could be a tougher job than reanimating the Scottish football team.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited September 2018
    FPT:
    RobD said:

You can bet your bottom dollar that they would report you if they saw something suspicious. So it's an inspection in all but name.

Well... good?

Primary teachers are the frontline of social work these days. First-tier councils are so underfunded and understaffed that their children's services departments are perennially fire-fighting - and that means they miss most reports of concern. Sometimes the only way a real, life-threatening problem will be acted upon is when a primary teacher or head repeatedly harasses children's services until they do something (yes, I am thinking of a real example here... one involving a knife).

Over and above that, though, seeing the kid in his home environment is the fastest way to find out where he/she has got to developmentally - they'll be comfortable and can demonstrate what they can do with their toys, books etc. I hear the comment about "invasive" but that's the last word I'd use of any reception teacher I've ever known!

At any point we are only a few days from another Baby P. It will happen again sooner or later.
  • Good afternoon, everyone.

Ah, Jeremy Corbyn. Makes the SNP look pro-British. :p

haha. He makes Gerry Adams look pro-British

FPT:

RobD said:

You can bet your bottom dollar that they would report you if they saw something suspicious. So it's an inspection in all but name.

Well... good?

Primary teachers are the frontline of social work these days. First-tier councils are so underfunded and understaffed that their children's services departments are perennially fire-fighting - and that means they miss most reports of concern. Sometimes the only way a real, life-threatening problem will be acted upon is when a primary teacher or head repeatedly harasses children's services until they do something (yes, I am thinking of a real example here... one involving a knife).

Over and above that, though, seeing the kid in his home environment is the fastest way to find out where he/she has got to developmentally - they'll be comfortable and can demonstrate what they can do with their toys, books etc. I hear the comment about "invasive" but that's the last word I'd use of any reception teacher I've ever known!

At any point we are only a few days from another Baby P. It will happen again sooner or later.
    If you’ve got nothing to hide, etc....
  • FPT:

RobD said:

Well... good?

Sadly, something like it is bound to happen again. If I remember correctly (which might not be the case), then wasn't the Baby P case so egregious because social services were involved, but the people involved lied to them, and manipulated them? E.g. by someone who shouldn't be living there hiding in the garden when they visited.

I doubt this will ever help prevent a Baby P-style case. It might well flag up other issues, though.

But again I wonder if this is just a Cambridgeshire thing, or if other counties / regions do it?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715

FPT:

RobD said:

Well... good?

Sadly, something like it is bound to happen again. If I remember correctly (which might not be the case), then wasn't the Baby P case so egregious because social services were involved, but the people involved lied to them, and manipulated them? E.g. by someone who shouldn't be living there hiding in the garden when they visited.

I doubt this will ever help prevent a Baby P-style case. It might well flag up other issues, though.

But again I wonder if this is just a Cambridgeshire thing, or if other counties / regions do it?
    I’m sure my Primary-School teacher grandson doesn’t visit parents houses. Nor, in urban S Essex does he want to!
  • But again I wonder if this is just a Cambridgeshire thing, or if other counties / regions do it?

If I remember rightly, at Mrs Capitano's school (Oxfordshire), the home visit is before the kid starts school. I'll ask her when she's home.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,838
    edited September 2018
    Edinburgh South is a curious one. It looks on the surface like tactical Tories and Lib Dems voting for Murray...
    But the Tories gained votes there, though only 1000 or so.
    So taking the 323k additional Tories and splitting them gives 5489 per constituency - But that's what Murray went up by roughly (+ a few Lab)
    Conclusion:
    Extra voters came out the woodwork for Murray in Edinburgh South, they'd have probably voted Tory elsewhere but decided to vote Labour as the best way to stop the SNP there.
    Existing Tory voters kept voting Tory.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    edited September 2018
    All four parties have had strong showings in Edinburgh South and Ian Murray’s vote significantly benefited from tactical voting to thwart the SNP surge. The election was effectively SNP versus all-comers with Ian standing for the latter.

p.s. same point as Pulpstar's
    edited September 2018
    geoffw said:

All four parties have had strong showings in Edinburgh South and Ian Murray’s vote significantly benefited from tactical voting to thwart the SNP surge. The election was effectively SNP versus all-comers with Ian standing for the latter.

The only sense I can make from it is that he got tactical votes from non-voter GE15 unionists.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

FPT:

RobD said:

Well... good?

It happens in West Devon, at least it did 15 years ago.
    Pulpstar said:

geoffw said:

The only sense I can make from it is that he got tactical votes from non-voter GE15 unionists.
    I think a significant portion of LibDems went for Murray too.
    Scott_P said:
    In the first tweet he criticises the plan, saying crashing out without a deal would lead to job losses. I don’t think crashing out without a deal is the plan. And it’ll be cheaper to build in Slovakia deal or no deal (or remaining in the EU).
    edited September 2018
    The above graph also leads to two 'broadly possibles'
    Either SNP voters switched to Tories (There may have been a couple of fishermen in Banff that did this), but 'broadly' it is a nonsense I think.
    There's plenty of people that come out when one's side is perceived to be doing well (SNP 15 voters) but then stay at home the next time, and a different bunch headed out next time (Ruth's new Tories). So one of the pieces of perceived wisdom/apparent common sense I've encountered non voters don't vote isn't actually correct.
    The non voters in GE15 and GE17 aren't the same people.

Perhaps perception that you're going to create an earthquake is key to getting out fickle voters.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Remarkable from India. Draw now 2/1. Wonder what is was when they were 2 for 3?
    Anorak said:

Remarkable from India. Draw now 2/1. Wonder what is was when they were 2 for 3?

England have been as low as 1.06
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Scott_P said:
    Defeatist remainer poujadist talk. He needs to get enthused about the prospect of Global Britain. They're screaming for fucking F-Types in South Sudan.
  • Curious attempt to discredit both Alexander Downer and Britain from Papadopoulos. Not to be taken at face value.
    https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1039334058084458497
    Anorak said:

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1039510137524826112

twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1039510795942391809

twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1039511194791362562

twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1039511520261038080

Remainer lies. What does he know about car manufacturing, international trading, and customs?
    Not much, apparently. He could have ramped up his profit margin by moving to Slovakia years ago. ;)
  • India need just under 200 runs from just over 41 overs, which is roughly five runs per over.

India are 32 on Betfair.

I can feel it in my waters.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    It's entirely possible they are going to move production to Slovakia anyway and are using Brexit as white phosphorous obscurant. Never let a good crisis go to waste and all that.

India need just under 200 runs from just over 41 overs, which is roughly five runs per over.

India are 32 on Betfair.

I can feel it in my waters.

This is amazing batting from India.
  • England bogged down. Forget the draw, what odds on India actually winning
    England have 41 overs to go at 3 PM. Implies they'll get through the overs just after 6.
    That seems unusual to me, normally they're miles behind on overs.

England bogged down. Forget the draw, what odds on India actually winning

They were 500/1 with Betfair just a couple of hours ago.
    Speth seems very worried about the possible loss of protection. I would take that as a sign to unload shares in JLR.
  • AndyJS said:

India need less than 200 (198)
    AndyJS said:

Still the draw more likely than an Indian win. India would be delighted with a draw here so they'll block out when it gets near 6. Mind you wish I'd had that 500-1 earlier.
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Still the draw more likely than an Indian win. India would be delighted with a draw here so they'll block out when it gets near 6. Mind you wish I'd had that 500-1 earlier.
    Those who laid India at 500/1 must be getting a bit nervous.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2018

Were those direct SNP->Ruth converts, or was it SNP->StayAtHome on one side, and StayAtHome->Ruth on the other? Or indeed some other more complex churn?

Stay at home conversion is the most likely explication. In the Holyrood election the year before there was very, very clear differential turnout. SNP vote percentage falling back in constituencies despite losing very few votes (or indeed in some cases gain raw votes) but losing double figure percentage points of vote share.

SCons are a very motivated voter base.
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Those who laid India at 500/1 must be getting a bit nervous.
    Still a huge task for India here. The evening sessions have all yielded plenty of wickets.
  • Dura_Ace said:
    Just project fear mate, I tell you. They need us more than we need them. Bloody Slovaks, coming over here and stealing all our employers
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,545

Dura_Ace said:
    Just project fear mate, I tell you. They need us more than we need them. Bloody Slovaks, coming over here and stealing all our employers
    And surely the Slovaks will want to leave the EU and join us (and Ireland of course) as soon as they see the good times here? If you don't believe that, you don't believe in Britain. Slexit - you heard it hear first.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Dura_Ace said:
    *Cringe*
  • tpfkar said:

Dura_Ace said:
    And surely the Slovaks will want to leave the EU and join us (and Ireland of course) as soon as they see the good times here? If you don't believe that, you don't believe in Britain. Slexit - you heard it hear first.
    Watching the news, Huxit looks more likely.
  • Pant is on fire
  • The last Scottish election was effectively a rerun of nationalists vs unionists, with the SNP again playing the role of Braveheart and the Edward II role being taken by the Conservatives, Labour and the Lib Dems in different constituencies. With nationalist enthusiasm off its 2014/15 peak, the SNP slipped back quite a way.

The Conservatives have become the default party of unionism, which is a bit of a problem for Labour until new themes become more dominant in Scottish politics.

Pant is on fire

As he hits a massive six.
  • Found the picture for all future PB Brexit threads

https://twitter.com/DelMody/status/1039495616638926848
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    tpfkar said:

Dura_Ace said:
    They cannot leave, their banking system would be shut down to make sure they stayed a good member of the EU.

The last Scottish election was effectively a rerun of nationalists vs unionists, with the SNP again playing the role of Braveheart and the Edward II role being taken by the Conservatives, Labour and the Lib Dems in different constituencies. With nationalist enthusiasm off its 2014/15 peak, the SNP slipped back quite a way.

The Conservatives have become the default party of unionism, which is a bit of a problem for Labour until new themes become more dominant in Scottish politics.

Yes, Edinburgh South is the exception that proves the rule here.
  • India need 182 runs to win.

Five wickets left.

If they get close at the end there could be an exciting run chase/collapse.

Found the picture for all future PB Brexit threads

Even Mogg in the background :D. Any idea what the context is?
  • Pant is on fire

Liar, liar.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited September 2018
    RobD said:

They've just realised the beatings coming from the voters in the event of a bad Brexit.
    Pant playing for the win and Rahul for the draw lol
  • Found the picture for all future PB Brexit threads

Looks like they are all trying to avoid making eye contact when Tezzie is looking round the room for a dance partner.
  • Rashid 6.0 overs 38 for 0 at 6.33
    Root 6.0 overs 17 for 0 at 2.83

Bring on Root to bring the scoring rate down.

RobD said:

They've just realised the beatings coming from the voters in the event of a bad Brexit.
    I thought they were at the part of the report discussions potential pineapple shortages post Brexit. I’d be depressed too...
  • But again I wonder if this is just a Cambridgeshire thing, or if other counties / regions do it?

If I remember rightly, at Mrs Capitano's school (Oxfordshire), the home visit is before the kid starts school. I'll ask her when she's home.
    Thanks to you and all the respondents. The school starts are staggered, so some are having them before their first day, and some after; it's probably just coincidence that we had ours on his first day.

Well, it's over; it was about half an hour with one of his class teachers and another teacher. We had a nice chat about what would happen this year (which we had already been told at an evening event), and they watched him play with his toys and went up to see his bedroom.

All slightly bizarre, but it may have helped. Somehow. ;)

Thanks to you and all the respondents. The school starts are staggered, so some are having them before their first day, and some after; it's probably just coincidence that we had ours on his first day.

Well, it's over; it was about half an hour with one of his class teachers and another teacher. We had a nice chat about what would happen this year (which we had already been told at an evening event), and they watched him play with his toys and went up to see his bedroom.

No tutting when they saw your collection of gimp masks? Interesting.... :p
  • Rashid 6.0 overs 38 for 0 at 6.33
    Root 6.0 overs 17 for 0 at 2.83

Bring on Root to bring the scoring rate down.

Root brings on Rashid who is hit for 6 first ball by Pant who then goes on to advance to his century.
  • Commentators have a habit of going on about 464 being well beyond the highest-ever successful test run chase. While true, they should acknowledge that (leaving aside the oddity of England scoring 654-5 in the final innings of a timeless test), at least 10 innings would have been likely to go on to at least that score had the team batting last not had to stop batting either because they won or because the game ran out of time.

The new ball is critical now.

The teachers need to check you have enough room to park the new Jag.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-45481438
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952
    RobD said:

It's as they listen to the Prime Minister outline just how well the Chequers deal is going to be received in the Conservative Party....
  • Pulpstar said:

Pant playing for the win and Rahul for the draw lol

I've played in games like that before. Going down half guns blazing. England (2.06) should still win here, imho.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952
    Must be having much better weather in London - doubt we would have had 10 overs bowled in Devon today.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,550

Pant is on fire

The record for the youngest test centurion at the Oval is absolutely Pant's.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,879
    Articles like this really show why this site is superb.
    rkrkrk said:

Articles like this really show why this site is superb.

+1
    RobD said:

No tutting when they saw your collection of gimp masks? Interesting.... :p
    Those and the katanas ?
    Clearly Tarantino fans.
    Geoff Boycott on Test Match Special: "I don't know what's going on out there".
    Down to five an over.... get it in singles.
    Lesson: never count your chickens in Test Match Cricket.
  • Hammond's absolutely monstering Minford here.
  • Winviz gives India a 20% win probability and increasing rapidly.
    I like Adil, but he's clearly under Pant's control.
    India's batting today has been absolute Pant's.
    I doubt he's doing his leadership prospects any good, mind.
    Mr Hammond is putting the country ahead of his own personal ambitions.

He's the anti-Boris.
    AndyJS said:

India's batting today has been absolute Pant's.

Oi !
    Maybe doing the right thing comes first
    I just hope bad light doesn't mess up the end of the match.
  • I see my pep talk to Adil Rashid did the trick.
  • Got him - well played Rahul
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Game over India

Hammond's absolutely monstering Minford here.
    Which might well, in the long run, do his leadership prospects a power of good.
  • Brom said:

Game over India

Not with Pant at the other end.

Pant's on fire.
  • Betting odds changed dramatically

Betting odds changed dramatically

Jadeja’s no slouch with the bat.
    The more I hear from ERG the more determined I am to support TM Chequers deal. And Jaguar Land Rover warnings today will scare a lot of their workers. No deal/WTO has to be stopped

Got him - well played Rahul

Bit like Shane Warne's first ball to Mike Gatting in 1993.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

Looks like they are all trying to avoid making eye contact when Tezzie is looking round the room for a dance partner.
    Tezza's Strictly mastertweet has associated that dancing issue with a positive image of her in a good way for ever more.
    The more I hear from ERG the more determined I am to support TM Chequers deal. And Jaguar Land Rover warnings today will scare a lot of their workers. No deal/WTO has to be stopped
    Talking of Jaguar Land Rover, today's hard Brexit report directly contradicts the warning from the CEO:

Wouldn’t opening the UK up to global competition spell disaster for British manufacturing?

No, quite the opposite.

Most British ‘manufacturing’ is, in fact, high-tech and, in some cases, services-oriented – the type of business sectors that should flourish post-Brexit. And, many of these businesses already compete successfully with non-EU competitors and export globally – eg, JLR, Rolls Royce, and JCB.

Betting odds changed dramatically

Jadeja’s no slouch with the bat.
    Doubt they'll go for it now, a draw would still be a monumental achievement.
    Talking of Jaguar Land Rover, today's hard Brexit report directly contradicts the warning from the CEO:

Wouldn’t opening the UK up to global competition spell disaster for British manufacturing?

No, quite the opposite.

Most British ‘manufacturing’ is, in fact, high-tech and, in some cases, services-oriented – the type of business sectors that should flourish post-Brexit. And, many of these businesses already compete successfully with non-EU competitors and export globally – eg, JLR, Rolls Royce, and JCB.
    Well I know who I believe and it is not JRM or Boris
This discussion has been closed.