Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There will be no second referendum whether Labour backs it or

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    edited September 2018
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

I wonder what people argued about before Brexit.

1) Is Die Hard a Christmas film

2) In pineapple an acceptable topping for pizza

3) Is FPTP superior to AV

4) Is Hannibal a superior general to Caesar

The correct answer to all of the above is no.
    Die Hard IS a Christmas film ("Now I have a machine gun! Ho ho ho!")

AV isn't proportional and was rejected by the UK voters in 2011.

Sultanas in curries is infinitely worse than pineapple on pizza.

Alexander ventured as far east as India, much further than either Hannibal or Caesar.
    Alexander was of course the first Caesar.

He saw Roxanne and he seized 'er.
    I see you’re introducing a new class to the history of paronomasia, starting with the really ancient examples...

• Options

theakes said:

My guess is that the result will be decisive one way or another, much easier for those who lose to accept.The issue will then be decided one way or another, unlike the present mess.

Why would people who won a “once in a lifetime” first vote accept a second that went against them?

Why would people who refuse to accept the result of one referendum that went against them suddenly accept the result of a second referendum that went against them?
    During the campaign the Leave side predicted the Remainers would do this were Leave to win, whilst the Remainers were busy telling everyone there would be no second referendum no matter what. How can people like John Major, Paddy Ashdown, and Nick Clegg have such a low level of integrity that they would call for another vote? It is shameless beyond belief

JM "If we come out, we are out, that's it. Its not politically credible to go back, we've reconsidered lets have another referendum"

PA " I will forgive no one who does not accept the sovereign voice of the British people once it has spoken whether it is by 1% or 20%"

NC "There will be some people who, like those Japanese soldiers who kept fighting the last war because no one had told them it had ended, in some pacific island, who carry on arguing and arguing... the rest of us will just move on, carry on with the rest of our lives"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IpvkJaKJwY

Conversely Nigel Farage was gearing up for a fresh campaign on the referendum night when he thought Leave had lost.
    Which would have been the equivalent of a referendum to rejoin once we had left.

Nobody is saying that people cannot campaign for that.

But that's not what the second referendum supporters want is it.
    I see. So Leavers could run campaigns continuously till they won while Remain supporters had to shut up till Leave supporters determined they could speak again. I can see why that argument appeals to Leave supporters.
    Actually your point re Farage would only hold water if he had explicitly said the result of the referendum was final, and another one would be "not politically credible", and would "not accept the sovereign voice of the British people" , then gone on to demand second referendum.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

FF43 said:

Nice to see Brexit going along swimmingly.

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1040709108008202242

When a "fucking nightmare" meets a "bloody difficult woman".who wins ?
    Bloody nightmare children?
    Sounds more like a sado-masochist's wet dream.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Bloody nightmare children?
    Bloody fucking chaos ?

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    This struck me too. Voting against the rule of law in Hungary to curry favour with a authoritarian government and undermine the interests of the other EU members is not just craven and lacking any moral basis. It's completely stupid.

https://twitter.com/hhesterm/status/1040582408242954240
  • Options

theakes said:

My guess is that the result will be decisive one way or another, much easier for those who lose to accept.The issue will then be decided one way or another, unlike the present mess.

Why would people who won a “once in a lifetime” first vote accept a second that went against them?

Why would people who refuse to accept the result of one referendum that went against them suddenly accept the result of a second referendum that went against them?
    During the campaign the Leave side predicted the Remainers would do this were Leave to win, whilst the Remainers were busy telling everyone there would be no second referendum no matter what. How can people like John Major, Paddy Ashdown, and Nick Clegg have such a low level of integrity that they would call for another vote? It is shameless beyond belief

JM "If we come out, we are out, that's it. Its not politically credible to go back, we've reconsidered lets have another referendum"

PA " I will forgive no one who does not accept the sovereign voice of the British people once it has spoken whether it is by 1% or 20%"

NC "There will be some people who, like those Japanese soldiers who kept fighting the last war because no one had told them it had ended, in some pacific island, who carry on arguing and arguing... the rest of us will just move on, carry on with the rest of our lives"

Conversely Nigel Farage was gearing up for a fresh campaign on the referendum night when he thought Leave had lost.
    Which would have been the equivalent of a referendum to rejoin once we had left.

I see. So Leavers could run campaigns continuously till they won while Remain supporters had to shut up till Leave supporters determined they could speak again. I can see why that argument appeals to Leave supporters.
    If Remain had won then the result would have been applied.

What the second referendum supporters want is for the result to be blocked..

Which is totally different.
    The result is bein applies. The Leavers are making a complete balls-up of it.

The prime difference is that Leave currently want Remain’s silence while if Remain had won Leave would have wanted the right to be noisy. The commitment to the right to democratic dissent is tissue thin.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Alexander ventured as far east as India, much further than either Hannibal or Caesar.

I see you’re introducing a new class to the history of paronomasia, starting with the really ancient examples...

Well, with everyone kicking off over Brexit, the first full week of school behind us, the Test series over and Warwickshire stealing, oops, signing all our best bowlers - even the ones still under contract - one must find something to joke about.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    FF43 said:

Usually, the divorce lawyers....
  • Options

FF43 said:

Usually, the divorce lawyers....
    And that, of course, is through no fault of their own.

I'll get my coat...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Well, with everyone kicking off over Brexit, the first full week of school behind us, the Test series over and Warwickshire stealing, oops, signing all our best bowlers - even the ones still under contract - one must find something to joke about.
    You have a point.
    Was the first week back that bad ?
  • Options

theakes said:

The prime difference is that Leave currently want Remain’s silence while if Remain had won Leave would have wanted the right to be noisy. The commitment to the right to democratic dissent is tissue thin.
    Before the vote, Remain campaigning politicians said there would be no second referendum, this is a once in a generation vote, it would not be politically credible to rerun the vote, people should just get on with their lives and accept it etc etc... but they are not sticking to that now.

On the other hand, it is blindingly obvious that the likes of UKIP/Farage would have continued campaigning to Leave had Remain won, and they never once said that wouldn't be the case
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Those halcyon days when we used to discuss Cameron buying fish in Morrisons, Ed's grave stone or the other Miliband holding a banana.

We were all so innocent ... ;)
    You've forgotten the bacon sandwich.
    Even my faulty memory couldn't forget the bacon sandwich. It is seared onto my subconscious.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

You have a point.
    Don't ask...

(And I mean that, unfortunately.)

Edit - mind you, it could be worse, I could support Middlesex, whose fans seem to be a little frustrated to judge by this message:

Would it help is were [sic] to select two players at random (probably not Murtagh or Harris) and hang them from the floodlights? I don't wish to overreact but it might be somewhat motivational.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Those halcyon days when we used to discuss Cameron buying fish in Morrisons, Ed's grave stone or the other Miliband holding a banana.

Even my faulty memory couldn't forget the bacon sandwich. It is seared onto my subconscious.
    You have to be cruel to be "rind"?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847

Dura_Ace said:

Don’t forget George being on a boat. That kept tim occupied for months!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

You have to be cruel to be "rind"?
    That's a pig of a pun to top.

But I shall smoke something out shortly.
  • Options

The result will be applied once we have left the EU and that is what the second referendum supporters are trying to block.

To give a general election equivalent Farage was acting like an opposition leader promising to continue to campaign for his beliefs even if defeated.

While the second referendum campaigners are the equivalent of a government which has lost a general election saying that the vote needs to be rerun.

Nobody is saying that EU supporters cannot campaign to rejoin but it is fair to point out the anti-democratic hypocrisy of those who are trying to stop the Referendum result being applied.

Of course campaigning to rejoin the EU would require making a positive case for doing so instead of the pedalling of lies so not something that second referendum supporters have much experience of.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

You have a point.
    Don't ask...

(And I mean that, unfortunately.)

Edit - mind you, it could be worse, I could support Middlesex, whose fans seem to be a little frustrated to judge by this message:

Would it help is were [sic] to select two players at random (probably not Murtagh or Harris) and hang them from the floodlights? I don't wish to overreact but it might be somewhat motivational.
    I wish you a better second week. And now I must be off.

(edit) Even Yorkshire in the depths of their Boycott crisis never went quite that far.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Am I the only one who looks at that picture and sees Alan B'Stard?
    I was just looking for a good clip when I saw your post. His only saving grace..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAxEJEODbvc
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    edited September 2018
    Interesting and well-argued article, as always from David. The one point I'd throw into the mix is that if a referendum is on the cards with Remain a possibility, the EU will emphatically do what they can to facilitate it - delay A50, promise to cancel the process without requiring anything, etc. They see it as akin to having a relative who you're quite fond of who has been deranged but is showing signs of recovery - naturally you do all you can to encourage it, and you certainly don't start creating difficiulties. Getting agreement from the EU27 is a hurdle, but overcoming such hurdles when there's a clear consensus is an EU speciality and it'll be done.

That means that the time factor is a lot less critical than David suggests. Conversely, the belief in Government circles that we can just ask for a few months' extension is risky, because the EU are as fed up with it all as the average British voter, and they'll only agree to an extension if the deal has basically been done and time is needed for loose ends - not because we say we haven't quite made up our minds what we want about the Irish border.
  • Options
    By the way, did we ever get the necessary confirmation that @TSE had actually fulfilled his wager and eaten a pineapple pizza after the Rose Bowl Test?
  • Options

The result will be applied once we have left the EU and that is what the second referendum supporters are trying to block.

To give a general election equivalent Farage was acting like an opposition leader promising to continue to campaign for his beliefs even if defeated.

While the second referendum campaigners are the equivalent of a government which has lost a general election saying that the vote needs to be rerun.

Nobody is saying that EU supporters cannot campaign to rejoin but it is fair to point out the anti-democratic hypocrisy of those who are trying to stop the Referendum result being applied.

Of course campaigning to rejoin the EU would require making a positive case for doing so instead of the pedalling of lies so not something that second referendum supporters have much experience of.
    It’s not anti-democratic to point out that it’s not working out as advertised and it’s time to rethink. The public is entitled to change its mind at any time, not just when Leavers allow them to.
  • Options
    JohnRussellJohnRussell Posts: 297
    edited September 2018

Interesting and well-argued article, as always from David. The one point I'd throw into the mix is that if a referendum is on the cards with Remain a possibility, the EU will emphatically do what they can to facilitate it - delay A50, promise to cancel the process without requiring anything, etc. They see it as akin to having a relative who you're quite fond of who has been deranged but is showing signs of recovery - naturally you do all you can to encourage it, and you certainly don't start creating difficiulties. Getting agreement from the EU27 is a hurdle, but overcoming such hurdles when there's a clear consensus is an EU speciality and it'll be done.

That means that the time factor is a lot less critical than David suggests. Conversely, the belief in Government circles that we can just ask for a few months' extension is risky, because the EU are as fed up with it all as the average British voter, and they'll only agree to an extension if the deal has basically been done and time is needed for loose ends - not because we say we haven't quite made up our minds what we want about the Irish border.

Albeit the relative considers themselves not deranged at all and the interfering family member to be a pain in the arse they want rid of
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    How offensive. I knew someone who died in a car crash
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Mr. Jessop, I have some sympathy with that perspective but would add two points:
    1) Cameron could've insisted on an 'official' Leave perspective ahead of calling a referendum.
    2) May is ultimately responsible for the unholy cocktail of prevarication and capitulation that has characterised the negotiations to date. She undercut her [Leave] Brexit Secretary with a proposal that has drawn criticism from EU-sceptic Conservatives, pro-EU Conservatives, and the EU. That cannot be considered the fault of Leave generally or any Leave politician in particular.

On 1), that would have been manna form heaven for the leave campaigns, who for obvious reasons couldn't agree on a line even if they had wanted - which they didn't. Having a line 'forced' on them by a remain-campaigning government would have just led to yet more febrile complaints from leavers about betrayals - even if they agreed with that line. Because that was the way to win.

Basically, you're saying Cameron should have done what leavers were too lazy to do, and something that would have actively helped leave.

On 2), May is in a fairly impossible situation; *whatever* decision her government makes will upset large parts of her government, party and the wider country. It might have been good if the leave ministers who have flounced out had produced a credible plan, or in fact done any effing work, in their two years in position. As they didn't, my sympathy for them is about as high as Corbyn's is for Israelis.

They had more than two years, they had decades. But it turns out the buccaneering Brexiteers couldn’t be arsed to do the hard work of learning about how the EU functions, about UK trade flows, about just in time supply chains, about the WTO, about how trade deals are done, about the Irish border and so on. They preferred to make speeches about liberty and tyranny, and to leave the difficult stuff to others certain in the knowledge that whatever happened they’d be fine.

The leave side published a 1,000 page document, "Change or Go?" in 2015. It went into masses of detail. Can you direct me to the equivalent from the pro-EU side?

https://brexitcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/ChangeorGo.pdf
  • Options
    This tweet has a picture of Matthew Parris's comment on this thread, which he accidentally posted into the Times CMS instead of the vanilla comment box:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeFreemanMP/status/1040873355279327232
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Fuck off
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Fuck off
    Charming
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, I have some sympathy with that perspective but would add two points:
    1) Cameron could've insisted on an 'official' Leave perspective ahead of calling a referendum.
    2) May is ultimately responsible for the unholy cocktail of prevarication and capitulation that has characterised the negotiations to date. She undercut her [Leave] Brexit Secretary with a proposal that has drawn criticism from EU-sceptic Conservatives, pro-EU Conservatives, and the EU. That cannot be considered the fault of Leave generally or any Leave politician in particular.

On 1), that would have been manna form heaven for the leave campaigns, who for obvious reasons couldn't agree on a line even if they had wanted - which they didn't. Having a line 'forced' on them by a remain-campaigning government would have just led to yet more febrile complaints from leavers about betrayals - even if they agreed with that line. Because that was the way to win.

Basically, you're saying Cameron should have done what leavers were too lazy to do, and something that would have actively helped leave.

On 2), May is in a fairly impossible situation; *whatever* decision her government makes will upset large parts of her government, party and the wider country. It might have been good if the leave ministers who have flounced out had produced a credible plan, or in fact done any effing work, in their two years in position. As they didn't, my sympathy for them is about as high as Corbyn's is for Israelis.

They had more than two years, they had decades. But it turns out the buccaneering Brexiteers couldn’t be arsed to do the hard work of learning about how the EU functions, about UK trade flows, about just in time supply chains, about the WTO, about how trade deals are done, about the Irish border and so on. They preferred to make speeches about liberty and tyranny, and to leave the difficult stuff to others certain in the knowledge that whatever happened they’d be fine.

The leave side published a 1,000 page document, "Change or Go?" in 2015. It went into masses of detail. Can you direct me to the equivalent from the pro-EU side?

And the IEA Brexit Prize published a winning and five runner-up essays, and the likes of Hannan and Carswell wrote books on the subject over more than a decade.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

"The #peoplesvote campaign has several obstacles to get a parliamentary mandate, not least changing Labour party policy, then collapsing the May government, but these are worthwhile objectives in their own right."

You - as a so-called Lib Dem - would prefer a Labour anti-Semite as PM rather than May.

An anti-semitic party being one which this week backed the openly anti-semitic Hungarian government? No, that's OK, it's whether the party leader has over the years been too pally with Palestinians.

There are people with perfectly genuine concerns about anti-semitism who need to be listened to, and then there are people and media who use it selectively to criticise those they don't like.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Fuck off
    Charming
    Let me rephrase. You're not going to emotionally blackmail people out of using metaphors, please go away.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    I rather think the meaningful vote is going to be a damp squib. A withdrawal agreement and sufficiently ambiguous definition of the future relationship will pass the Commons relatively easily with grudging support from the ERG and abstentions from the opposition parties who fear being held responsible for whatever chaos might follow a no vote or killer amendment.

The fun starts during the transition period when the future relationship is actually hammered out and during which ther is time for a leadership election, GE, referendum... whatever. I’ve had it confirmed by a pretty senior member of the Government that the party will sit on its hands to get the WA over the line and, after March, it’s all to play for.
  • Options

I agree about the article but not sure your comments do anything but inflame the issue. It is patronising and if that is the attitude I believe voters will reject their overtures.

I only see a second referendum in the event TM deal is voted down and WTO looms. How we get to it is a different matter and there must be a chance we crash out.

The most important news of the day is the Irish waking up to armageddon awaiting them on the 29th March in no deal case and they are now open to compromise. It appears they have blinked first and a dose of realism set in.

What is not surprising is neither Sky or BBC are reporting it

I still remain confident TM will get the deal and it will pass the HOC despite Emily Thornberry comments that labour will 'probably' vote against it
  • Options

It’s not anti-democratic to point out that it’s not working out as advertised and it’s time to rethink. The public is entitled to change its mind at any time, not just when Leavers allow them to.
    By that theory every time someone thinks a government isn't working out as advertised we should rerun the previous general election.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Fuck off
    Charming
    Let me rephrase. You're not going to emotionally blackmail people out of using metaphors, please go away.
    You fool. I was joking about the phrase being offensive by way of parodying McDonnell's offence taken at Chuka's "Call off the Dogs" and Tom Tugendhat's at Boris's "Suicide Vest", although one of my friends did die in a car crash.
  • Options

By that theory every time someone thinks a government isn't working out as advertised we should rerun the previous general election.
    Thereby fulfilling the sixth and only outstanding demand of Feargus O'Connor's famous Charter - annual elections.
  • Options

Every time the opposition takes the lead in an opinion poll, we have a GE! We are told the mid terms mean nothing... unless it's Brexit, in which case all previous comments are struck from the record
  • Options

You’ve already said that it would be fine for Leavers to continuously campaign for Brexit if they had lost. Sooner or later you will stumble accidentally into some consistency.
  • Options

theakes said:

Because it's far from clear what the first referendum meant?
    The first referendum meant we should "Leave the EU"

Beyond that "what future relationship should we have with the EU" was characterised by dishonesty on both sides - Leave a host of mutually exclusive offers and Remain flat out denial of what the future of the EU looks like.

I understand Gove's point that we should 'get over the line' and get out of the EU - then lets debate what form of relationship we should have going forward - from WTO to rejoining. At the moment some are seeking to use that debate to subvert the outcome of the referendum - which in my view is much more damaging than Brexit itself.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Thereby fulfilling the sixth and only outstanding demand of Feargus O'Connor's famous Charter - annual elections.
    That would end up worse than the US House, where two-year terms mean that everyone’s focussed on their own re-election, rather than actually doing the job they were elected to do.
  • Options

You’ve already said that it would be fine for Leavers to continuously campaign for Brexit if they had lost. Sooner or later you will stumble accidentally into some consistency.
    You are missing the point. Remainers explicitly said a second referendum was not politically credible, there wouldn't be one, and the result of the 2016 referendum was final. Now they are campaigning for a second referendum.

Hardcore leavers never said they would stop, so the comparison doesn't exist. Remainers are entitled to campaign still, and we can note their hypocrisy.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

In fairness, the hardline pro-EU side doesn't need a plan other than, 'enthusiastically sign up to whatever half-baked nonsense was dreamt up in Brussels this week'. I paraphrase of course.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    edited September 2018

I see logic has no place in the Meeksian world.

Rejoiners can continually campaign as well.

What we don't have though in this country is for elections or referendums to be rerun if one side doesn't like the result.
  • Options
    Has Steven Walker, er, JWisemann hacked about 50 accounts or is everyone just in a very bad mood this morning?

Honestly, I'm hoping for SeanT and MalcolmG to turn up and raise the tone a bit.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, fret not, I have returned!

Third practice underway.
  • Options

Reality breaks out in Ireland

https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/government-puts-brexit-deal-ahead-of-bulletproof-guarantee-of-avoiding-hard-border-37318788.html

"Brexit sources say they recognise London won’t be able to sign off on the Border guarantee as it currently stands, and Ireland will face economic “catastrophe” if the UK leaves the EU with no deal.

“If we carry on the way we’re going, we’ll have no transition, no deal, just economic catastrophe,” said one source."

What took them so effing long to see the blatantly obvious?
  • Options

You are missing the point. Remainers explicitly said a second referendum was not politically credible, there wouldn't be one, and the result of the 2016 referendum was final. Now they are campaigning for a second referendum.

Hardcore leavers never said they would stop, so the comparison doesn't exist. Remainers are entitled to campaign still, and we can note their hypocrisy.

The hypocrisy is of Leavers wanting Remainers to shut up, especially when the wheels are coming off the Leave wagon.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

This spectacle makes me wonder how far the establishment will go to get rid of Corbyn when he forms the next government.

I would never have thought a military coup would be possible in this country but now I'm not so sure...

Airbus kick up a stink over PM Jezza? Send in the army! :D
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

I rather think the meaningful vote is going to be a damp squib. A withdrawal agreement and sufficiently ambiguous definition of the future relationship will pass the Commons relatively easily with grudging support from the ERG and abstentions from the opposition parties who fear being held responsible for whatever chaos might follow a no vote or killer amendment.

The fun starts during the transition period when the future relationship is actually hammered out and during which ther is time for a leadership election, GE, referendum... whatever. I’ve had it confirmed by a pretty senior member of the Government that the party will sit on its hands to get the WA over the line and, after March, it’s all to play for.

Theresa will be on her bike on 30th March, Con will get a new leader and then general election sometime next Summer is my guess.
  • Options
    My daughter in law's sister in Vancouver has just posted on her facebook page a lovely all fruit pizza.

So from pineapple to banana to all fruit pizzas
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Rexel56 said:

Theresa will be on her bike on 30th March, Con will get a new leader and then general election sometime next Summer is my guess.
    I very much doubt it
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, fret not, I have returned!

Third practice underway.

Interestingly, the tyres here are Soft, Ultrasoft and Hypersoft. Mercedes are doing qualifying runs on the Soft, the hardest tyre, thinking that they might be able to run them in Q2 and therefore start the race on them. The Hypers are going to be good for no more than half a dozen laps in the race, and the Ultras aren’t much better.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    When you have the ergers in your shell-like, a tin ear is an asset.
  • Options
    Sunlight is a great disinfectant (thread):

https://twitter.com/MarkUrban01/status/1040904369837928448
  • Options

Old 'tin ear' at it again:

ttps://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1040907613372862464

I don’t get what Hammond is playing at. Everything he says seems to directly contradict the PM and the collective cabinet view.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    edited September 2018

My daughter in law's sister in Vancouver has just posted on her facebook page a lovely all fruit pizza.

The pub I am just passing on the bus sells chocolate pizzas. Indeed its only main courses are stonebaked pizzas so those who stay for dessert eat pizza after pizza.

I stick to beer.
  • Options

"The #peoplesvote campaign has several obstacles to get a parliamentary mandate, not least changing Labour party policy, then collapsing the May government, but these are worthwhile objectives in their own right."

You - as a so-called Lib Dem - would prefer a Labour anti-Semite as PM rather than May.

An anti-semitic party being one which this week backed the openly anti-semitic Hungarian government? No, that's OK, it's whether the party leader has over the years been too pally with Palestinians.

There are people with perfectly genuine concerns about anti-semitism who need to be listened to, and then there are people and media who use it selectively to criticise those they don't like.

We are at a point where both our leading parties are happy to provide succour to anti-Semites. It is awful and utterly depressing. I don’t know whether Tory expediency is worse than Labour conviction.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Sandpit said:

I don’t get what Hammond is playing at. Everything he says seems to directly contradict the PM and the collective cabinet view.
    Does it?

Who can say what the PM's view really is... Remember when "Brexit meant Brexit" ?

My guess is that everything Hammond says is with the connivance of Theresa May. The "differences" between 10 and 11 Downing St. are entirely manufactured as Theresa continues to string everyone along.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, hmm. That does risk Mercedes losing out on the start line, though. And if everyone's in the same boat with a one stop, I wonder if that would prove advantageous.

Does increase the safety car window, but if one comes early on, starting on the soft tyre could be a serious problem.
  • Options
    I do not normally watch Dateline London on BBC but both EU contributors confirmed there has been a big change in Europe and that Merkel and Macron want to keep TM in power as they consider Boris or Corbyn as unacceptable

The panel see a deal
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

Does it?

Who can say what the PM's view really is... Remember when "Brexit meant Brexit" ?

My guess is that everything Hammond says is with the connivance of Theresa May. The "differences" between 10 and 11 Downing St/ are entirely manufactured as Theresa continues to string everyone along.
    He was only talking about a delay of a few weeks, to allow time for the actual legislation to pass, according to the Sun report. This was after Leadsom had warned there may not be enough parliamentary time.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

If I'm reading the report right this is something he said in a cabinet meeting. Presumably in cabinet meetings you can say things that aren't the collective cabinet view, because that's how the cabinet considers things and works out what its view is.

So the story seems to be that someone else says, "ruh roh, maybe we won't have time to get stuff through parliament", and Hammond says, "well that's up to us, we could extend things for a few weeks if we wanted to", and somebody calls the Spectator and gets them to write a hostile piece about him.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited September 2018
    Scott_P said:

CD13 said:

I think you're forgetting the practicalities of this.

I think you're forgetting the practicalities of this.

If, for example, the civil service had produced a paper that laid out the practical effects of leaving Euratom, Brexiteers would have cried Project fear and treachery.

It was not possible to produce a sensible plan for leaving then, or indeed now.
    There are many sensible plans for Brexit, but they all involve trade-offs between different priorities and no-one wants to admit to those trade-offs.

This prevents us from having a rational debate about these trade-offs - though in fairness so does the Remain attitude that any choice with negative economic impacts is only for the insane.
  • Options

I do not normally watch Dateline London on BBC but both EU contributors confirmed there has been a big change in Europe and that Merkel and Macron want to keep TM in power as they consider Boris or Corbyn as unacceptable

The panel see a deal

Of course they want her in power - they know she will sell out on Chequers if she can. Despite all your attempts at spin, nobody is reporting anything about HOW the issues will be resolved, other than the desperate hopes of Remainers that May will simply roll over on everything.

If you can explain how the NI backstop and customs partnership can be resolved, go for it. Otherwise you are just pissing in the wind.
  • Options

And those who ignore evil because it suits their ideology. That's the position too many in Labour find themselves in.

For the record - again - i think what the Conservative MEPs did this week was stupid and utterly self-defeating. I won't defend it.
    *You* choose to defend the sickness in your party, and the person responsible for allowing it to fester.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

If I'm reading the report right this is something he said in a cabinet meeting. Presumably in cabinet meetings you can say things that aren't the collective cabinet view, because that's how the cabinet considers things and works out what its view is.

So the story seems to be that someone else says, "ruh roh, maybe we won't have time to get stuff through parliament", and Hammond says, "well that's up to us, we could extend things for a few weeks if we wanted to", and somebody calls the Spectator and gets them to write a hostile piece about him.
    Very succinct
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2018
    What I think might happen is this:

1. A deal, loosely based on Chequers, blanketed in plentiful fudge, is agreed between the UK government and the EU negotiating team (don't forget that it will still need approval by the EU parliament and by EU27 governments, BTW).

2. Theresa May and her ministers are all over the airwaves saying it's a good deal for Britain which will implement Brexit but protect the economy. There will also be a huge and very public sigh of relief from business and from independent economic commentators. The pound will rise. It will look like very good news indeed that there is a deal.

3. Meanwhile the ultras will be crying 'Betrayal!' as usual, but they will have a difficult calculation to make, because:

4. Labour will be saying it's a rotten deal, and they could have picked unicorns out of hats, and that they are minded to vote against it, and:

5. There will be an proposed amendment in parliament seeking to make the deal subject to a referendum.

6. The Leavers, and most of the Conservative Party generally, won't want that. Soft Remainers will want to get the deal agreed, and will be aware that once you go down the referendum bolthole you could end up with Brexit with No Deal. I think the likelihood is that the amendment will be rejected.

7. .. and that therefore the deal will be grudgingly approved, faute de mieux, with a stream of MPs saying that they don't like the deal but will reluctantly support it because either they want Brexit to happen to respect the referendum result and don't want a delay to Article 50, or because they don't want a chaotic No Deal.

Of course, there is plenty or room for all this to be dislodged by 'events'.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That would be the same Mr Hammond that the PM wanted to sack last year?

I don't think May can expect loyalty from him.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Actually, on reflection you’re right. The quotes attributed to Hammond were made in Cabinet, where of course debate should be encouraged.
  • Options

https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/government-puts-brexit-deal-ahead-of-bulletproof-guarantee-of-avoiding-hard-border-37318788.html

"Brexit sources say they recognise London won’t be able to sign off on the Border guarantee as it currently stands, and Ireland will face economic “catastrophe” if the UK leaves the EU with no deal.

“If we carry on the way we’re going, we’ll have no transition, no deal, just economic catastrophe,” said one source."

Well Varadkhar is very dim. But once again, I am not hearing anything about how the NI backstop will be resolved. They seem to still be saying they want the same thing. What if anything has actually changed?
  • Options
    Anazina said:

The pub I am just passing on the bus sells chocolate pizzas. Indeed its only main courses are stonebaked pizzas so those who stay for dessert eat pizza after pizza.

I stick to beer.
    Why the hell would you bother with a main course if you can have chocolate pizza pud?

I suspect some people might not find a Chocolate Turkish Delight pizza overly appealling. But lets face it, they'll be the sort of po-faced people on a permanent diet....
  • Options

Anazina said:

I stick to beer.
    Why the hell would you bother with a main course if you can have chocolate pizza pud?

I suspect some people might not find a Chocolate Turkish Delight pizza overly appealling. But lets face it, they'll be the sort of po-faced people on a permanent diet....
    Chocolate pizza just sounds like a giant soggy chocolate digestive.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Miss Blundell up at the Lib Dem conference ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOq5IJgXkhg
  • Options

The panel see a deal

Of course they want her in power - they know she will sell out on Chequers if she can. Despite all your attempts at spin, nobody is reporting anything about HOW the issues will be resolved, other than the desperate hopes of Remainers that May will simply roll over on everything.

If you can explain how the NI backstop and customs partnership can be resolved, go for it. Otherwise you are just pissing in the wind.
    Not sure if you read the earlier thread but the Irish government have blinked and are to negotiate the deal as they recognise it would be armageddon for them from 29th March.

And by the way, your sell out is another person acceptance. The problem you have is that you are in a minority fighting for a lost cause and tend to become aggressive at the prospects of a deal that will command majority support in the UK. Also your tendency to become abusive is unnecessary.

• Options
    edited September 2018

Mr. Sandpit, hmm. That does risk Mercedes losing out on the start line, though. And if everyone's in the same boat with a one stop, I wonder if that would prove advantageous.

Does increase the safety car window, but if one comes early on, starting on the soft tyre could be a serious problem.

It’s very difficult to overtake and it’s a short run to the first corner, it’s a strategy that could work if they can get through Q2 on the hardest tyres. Starting on them could allow a one stop strategy, while everyone else makes two stops.

Safety car is nailed on by the the way, 10 from 10 races and it’s not Monaco where there’s a crane every 50m. Betfair are 1.16 but not really woken up yet, I’m hoping for 1.25-1.3.
    Under 15.5 finishers is 1.57, that looks value but again not really woken up yet. I’m going to hold off the bets until the morning.
  • Options

1. A deal, loosely based on Chequers, blanketed in plentiful fudge, is agreed between the UK government and the EU negotiating team (don't forget that it will still need approval by the EU parliament and by EU27 governments, BTW).

2. Theresa May and her ministers are all over the airwaves saying it's a good deal for Britain which will implement Brexit but protect the economy. There will also be a huge a very public sigh of relief from business and from independent economic commentators. The pound will rise. It will look like very good news indeed that there is a deal.

3. Meanwhile the ultras will be crying 'Betrayal!' as usual, but they will have a difficult calculation to make, because:

4. Labour will be saying it's a rotten deal, and they could have picked unicorns out of hats, and that the are minded to vote against it, and:

5. There will be an proposed amendment in parliament seeking to make the deal subject to a referendum.

6. The Leavers, and most of the Conservative Party generally, won't want that. Soft Remainers will want to get the deal agreed, and will be aware that once you go down the referendum bolthole you could end up with Brexit with No Deal. I think the likelihood is that the amendment will be rejected.

7. .. and that therefore the deal will be grudgingly approved, faute de mieux, with a stream of MPs saying that they don't like the deal but will reluctantly support it because either they want Brexit to happen to respect the referendum result and don't want a delay to Article 50, or because they don't want a chaotic No Deal.

When May pushed through Chequers, Remainers went into orgasms because they finally got their soft Brexit, they went on about how the grown ups were now in charge and how this was a good compromise that everyone sensible would accept.

May and her team were all over the airwaves pushing her deal. Business groups were piling in to support her. We were told by Remainers that the public would be happy with a solution because they were fed up with Brexit and just wanted it done.

What happened? The public didn’t fall for it at all, May miscalculated that Cabinet members would not resign and the whole thing unravelled in a few days. Tory members and the public saw straight through it. Polling shows that almost everyone think it sucks.

Go back to Cameron and the re-negotiation - same plan, same outcome.

Sorry, predicting that May will be able to spin a pile of poo is ignoring reality. The public won’t fall for it. Leavers won’t fall for it. If she backs down on Chequers there will be more resignations. There will be uproar and May will be in deep trouble. Labour will vote against and and probably the DUP as well.

ERG will not need many to vote it down.
  • Options

2. Theresa May and her ministers are all over the airwaves saying it's a good deal for Britain which will implement Brexit but protect the economy. There will also be a huge and very public sigh of relief from business and from independent economic commentators. The pound will rise. It will look like very good news indeed that there is a deal.

4. Labour will be saying it's a rotten deal, and they could have picked unicorns out of hats, and that they are minded to vote against it, and:

The fun anad games will come when some really unpleasant aspects of the deal have to be put in a Treaty that binds Parliament..... If the "ultras" put their line in the sand - in a provision that Parliament is not bound in perpetuity - and Corbyn agrees that he doesn't want to have to be beholden to Brussels, so agrees to support it... Will it fail in the EU Parliament? Because then it becomes an interesting constitutional clash.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, why would others make two stops?

If you start on the softs and there's an instant safety car, everyone else could switch to the softs. You then either follow suit but for hypers/ultras and have to make another stop, screwing yourself, or you stay out, everyone's right behind you with no stop to make, and you lose out when you have to make your single stop later.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited September 2018

+1

That is how I see it only the European leaders including Tusk, Junckers, Merkel, Macron, the Irish and others will be adding positively to the conclusion.

This is why I do not see labour holding their mps together to vote it down
  • Options

The panel see a deal

Not sure if you read the earlier thread but the Irish government have blinked and are to negotiate the deal as they recognise it would be armageddon for them from 29th March.

And by the way, your sell out is another person acceptance. The problem you have is that you are in a minority fighting for a lost cause and tend to become aggressive at the prospects of a deal that will command majority support in the UK. Also your tendency to become abusive is unnecessary.

Er - there is NO evidence that the public support your ‘compromise’. In fact, the vast majority of leavers support No Deal. Remainers support remain. Nobody supports Chequers.

I read the report, but as I said, there is no information at all about what has actually changed. What are the Irish government now prepared to accept?

I keep asking you to explain HOW you think the issues will be resolved. You have no idea. So this stuff is nonsense.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Sandpit said:

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Hammond in the same breath as Hunt and Javid as a likely candidate for next Tory leader. He doesn't have a cat's hell of a chance I'd suggest. His narrow minded accountants approach to politics exemplified by his attempted attack on the self employed in his ill fated 2017 Budget and his perceived deviousness on the EU exemplified by the above has put paid to that.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

If you start on the softs and there's an instant safety car, everyone else could switch to the softs. You then either follow suit but for hypers/ultras and have to make another stop, screwing yourself, or you stay out, everyone's right behind you with no stop to make, and you lose out when you have to make your single stop later.

The hypers are good for only half a dozen laps in the race, no other available tyre can make the remainder of the race distance so they’ll need two stops.

But if the safety car isn’t on the first lap or two, everyone else needs to stop after only half a dozen laps whereas you can continue for an SC pit window further into the race.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    FF43 said:

This struck me too. Voting against the rule of law in Hungary to curry favour with a authoritarian government and undermine the interests of the other EU members is not just craven and lacking any moral basis. It's completely stupid.

https://twitter.com/hhesterm/status/1040582408242954240

This is surely profoundly delusional. How exactly does voting against the vast majority of the EU in favour of a renegade government who are gradually demolishing democracy there and which might be thought to be indicative of a desire on our part to weaken or divide the EU win us "brownie points" ?

I find the Tory vote on this surprising and disappointing but if that is their idea of a cunning plan to get a deal with the people we have just pissed off its time to pass the negotiations over to Baldrick.
  • Options

Anazina said:

I stick to beer.

Chocolate pizza just sounds like a giant soggy chocolate digestive.
    You make that sound like a bad thing. Just pre-dunked is all....
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Well Varadkhar is very dim. But once again, I am not hearing anything about how the NI backstop will be resolved. They seem to still be saying they want the same thing. What if anything has actually changed?
    The "Cojoined Twins" strategy. Varadkar gets his backstop deal in the WA keeping NI in the customs union but there is another agreement saying that only GB stays in the customs union as well concurrently to the first agreement.
  • Options

Sorry, predicting that May will be able to spin a pile of poo is ignoring reality. The public won’t fall for it. Leavers won’t fall for it. If she backs down on Chequers there will be more resignations. There will be uproar and May will be in deep trouble. Labour will vote against and and probably the DUP as well.

Which is why, contrary to David's lead article, the chances of a second referendum are very high.
  • Options
  • Options

Which is why, contrary to David's lead article, the chances of a second referendum are very high.
    This is also the suggestion in the Matthew Parris article. The problem I have with this - apart from finding the Richard Nabavi logic about how MPs will behave generally convincing - is that I'm a bit hazy on how you get from everybody hating the hypothetical TMay-Barnier Deal to having a referendum on something. I mean, I get the grand narrative arc that a referendum is the only way to get out of the impasse, but who proposes it when, and who votes for it?
  • Options
    He really should focus on doing as little as possible in the Treasury. After all, the economy is responding quite well to that approach.
  • Options
    Norm said:

Sandpit said:

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Hammond in the same breath as Hunt and Javid as a likely candidate for next Tory leader. He doesn't have a cat's hell of a chance I'd suggest. His narrow minded accountants approach to politics exemplified by his attempted attack on the self employed in his ill fated 2017 Budget and his perceived deviousness on the EU exemplified by the above has put paid to that.
    Agreed, he’s got no chance. He may well end up third in the MPs’ ballot though, as the “remain candidate”. Two of Javid, Hunt and Gove are most likely to go to the members, depending on the timing of the contest.
  • Options
    I agree with the header. Public enthusiasm for Brexit is in irrevocable decline and the Leavers' morale is shattered. I'll wager even Boris wants it done and dusted now with whatever fudged, vassal-state arrangement Theresa is able to wrangle. Brexit has been disastrous for Boris's career and he'll want it out of the way and forgotten before he even attempts a comeback.
  • Options

This is also the suggestion in the Matthew Parris article. The problem I have with this - apart from finding the Richard Nabavi logic about how MPs will behave generally convincing - is that I'm a bit hazy on how you get from everybody hating the hypothetical TMay-Barnier Deal to having a referendum on something. I mean, I get the grand narrative arc that a referendum is the only way to get out of the impasse, but who proposes it when, and who votes for it?
    I think the most plausible scenario is that the cabinet makes the political calculation that they are better off preempting all of this by proposing a referendum before we get to the meaningful vote.

The people's vote campaign is building a crescendo, and by the time there is a withdrawal agreement on the table, if they've succeeded then there will be a broad consensus about the necessity of a further democratic mandate before proceeding.
  • Options
    Frank Field thrown out of the labour party

Consulting his lawyers
  • Options

I think the most plausible scenario is that the cabinet makes the political calculation that they are better off preempting all of this by proposing a referendum before we get to the meaningful vote.

The people's vote campaign is building a crescendo, and by the time there is a withdrawal agreement on the table, if they've succeeded then there will be a broad consensus about the necessity of a further democratic mandate before proceeding.
    Good try but not going to happen before the meaningful vote
  • Options

The only problem with that scenario is 2. When has May ever been "all over the airways" trying to win support for any of her ideas? It's just not her style. At best she will probably make a speech and then the odd reference back to her speech as if recalcitrant pupils are not studying hard enough.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The hypers are good for only half a dozen laps in the race, no other available tyre can make the remainder of the race distance so they’ll need two stops.

But if the safety car isn’t on the first lap or two, everyone else needs to stop after only half a dozen laps whereas you can continue for an SC pit window further into the race.
    It’s a strategy, but likely a sub optimal one, as it necessarily involves sacrificing pace. Singapore can be something of a lottery, but the fastest cars on the circuit tend to win.

While you’re around, what would the likely effects of a hurricane hitting Dubai be ?
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/15/hurricane-category-6-this-is-how-world-ends-book-climate-change
  • Options

Frank Field thrown out of the labour party

Consulting his lawyers

Why? Do they read PB and therefore understand the politics of this better than he does?
This discussion has been closed.