Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Et tu, John? Is another JC set to get stabbed in the back by a

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited September 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Et tu, John? Is another JC set to get stabbed in the back by a close ally?

Well this is very interesting. 'Allies of McDonnell claim he has become increasingly frustrated with Corbyn and his team over their botched handling of the anti-semitism row this summer, which overshadowed a carefully planned grid of policy announcements'. https://t.co/WlZKpJoRxK pic.twitter.com/wyCug9xTV6

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JenSJenS Posts: 91
    Corbyn doesn’t really want the job anyway does he? The problem will be squaring the membership which is now a JC fan club.
  • Options
    JenSJenS Posts: 91
    Oh, and first.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Unless Corbyn is convinced that it is more likely for a left wing Labour government under someone else or health reasons come into play I can't see it. John won't make a move and if he did it just probably wouldn't help anyone, on the left anyway.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    Third like Boris
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    edited September 2018
    NPex-MP yesterday mentioned that the only true Corbynites - Abbott & McDonnell would not want to replace him for health reasons. Ms Abbott’s health challenges have been openly discussed - I hadn’t heard anything about McDonnell?

Edit - Wiki mentions a 2013 heart attack.
  • Options
    Grauniad profile of McDonnell from 3 years ago (Wiki source for heart attack):

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/15/john-mcdonnell-unreconstructed-on-the-left-but-with-allies-on-the-right
  • Options

Unless Corbyn is convinced that it is more likely for a left wing Labour government under someone else or health reasons come into play I can't see it. John won't make a move and if he did it just probably wouldn't help anyone, on the left anyway.

Agree. I suspect the “people around McDonnell” will be getting a bit of a talking to this morning from their boss.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    Ted Cruz is perhaps in trouble:
    https://www.newsweek.com/ted-cruz-beto-orourke-texas-election-midterms-letters-1123146
    TED CRUZ CAMPAIGN IS MAILING DONATION REQUESTS DISGUISED AS LEGAL SUMMONSES

• Options

What might it take to convince him ?
  • Options
    Nothing on Ruth Davison ruling herself out of a run for Conservative Leader though I see TSE?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited September 2018

Nothing on Ruth Davison ruling herself out of a run for Conservative Leader though I see TSE?

I tried writing a thread on that but I failed.

What I wrote ended up being rather callous, or patronising, or somewhat cynical towards Ruth Davidson.

It was very hard to get the right tone on such a moving and sensitive topic.

Is for the same reasons I haven’t done a thread on Alex Salmond’s recent issues.
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    It seems a pretty clear non-denial denial.
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    What was it Yes Minister said about denials?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

She could

a) have her baby

b) spend some time with her child away from politics, to get perspective - then, if it still matters

c) get a safe Westminster seat (maybe Ken Clarke could hand her the baton?)

d) do a stint as Health Secretary - bringing her own experience to the provision of mental health treatment especially

e) re-appraise any leadership desire
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

During the 2016 coup he said it was the supporters that kept him going, my guess would be losing them, which seems highly unlikely.

Aside from possibly a few people in parliament McDonnell is closer politically to Corbyn than anyone else, Corbyn succeeding is McDonnell succeeding unless he just personally wants to be PM, even if he just wanted power and politics is unimportant (which seems unlikely given his career to date) a more likely route would be sticking with Corbyn and having a route to possibly become chancellor rather than striking out on his own.

Not that it can't be betrayed but they are pretty good friends as well.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,175
    edited September 2018
    I did clearly state that the one person inside the bunker with enoigh stature to put his arm around Jezbollah and say "for the good of all we have acjieved so far you have to go" was John McDonnell. Not that he wants the job himself - he wants to be chancellor
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    Those quotes don't sound to me like someone who is close to John McDonnell. If he wanted to take power, a coup against Jeremy doesn't seem likely to succeed.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    Foxy said:
    Yes Minister also gave us the phrase 'it is necessary to get behind someone before you can stab them in the back.'

But - for a large number of reasons I would be surprised if this story is accurate. All other considerations aside, Macdonnell would have a snowflake's chance in hell (or possibly just @Snowflake's chance) of winning a leadership election. Until somebody emerges on the left who can replace Corbyn, or unless he retires, Labour are stuck with him.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

During the 2016 coup he said it was the supporters that kept him going, my guess would be losing them, which seems highly unlikely.

Aside from possibly a few people in parliament McDonnell is closer politically to Corbyn than anyone else, Corbyn succeeding is McDonnell succeeding unless he just personally wants to be PM, even if he just wanted power and politics is unimportant (which seems unlikely given his career to date) a more likely route would be sticking with Corbyn and having a route to possibly become chancellor rather than striking out on his own.

The way he will lose supporters is by a significant reversal in a general election - and realisation there is no prospect of that changing whilst he is in charge. And even then, it will be their gradually walking away from politics, through disillusionment that anything can change.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Intriguing article. What happens to the Cult?

I imagine the PLP will pretend things might get better with a new chairman in town and use it as an excuse to justify their vacillation, yet again.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:
    Yes Minister also gave us the phrase 'it is necessary to get behind someone before you can stab them in the back.'

But - for a large number of reasons I would be surprised if this story is accurate. All other considerations aside, Macdonnell would have a snowflake's chance in hell (or possibly just @Snowflake's chance) of winning a leadership election. Until somebody emerges on the left who can replace Corbyn, or unless he retires, Labour are stuck with him.
    What will be true is that he is pissed about the anti-semitism row distracting from a summer of hammering the Government though. He might have some of Corbyn's advisors in his sights for that....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503

Nigelb said:

I could only see McDonnell running for leader in the unlikely event of Jezza developing health issues.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    John McDonnell is a Corbyn under the bus candidate if the left don't find anyone better. I don't believe for a moment that he would turn on Corbyn. He may well be pretty pissed off with some of the idiots that Corbyn insists on surrounding himself with but who amongst those who want Labour to do well, isn't?

• Options
    DavidL said:

John McDonnell is a Corbyn under the bus candidate if the left don't find anyone better. I don't believe for a moment that he would turn on Corbyn. He may well be pretty pissed off with some of the idiots that Corbyn insists on surrounding himself with but who amongst those who want Labour to do well, isn't?

You mean, those idiots who make themselves look both ridiculous and unsavoury by pulling out copies of Mao's Little Red Book in the House of Commons?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

You mean, those idiots who make themselves look both ridiculous and unsavoury by pulling out copies of Mao's Little Red Book in the House of Commons?
    I've watched an interview where he explains what he was doing... can't really remember much of it aside from the original little laugh he gives as he is remembering the event before he accounts for it. Makes me laugh thinking about it now, almost a mischievous slightly proud of what he's done tone.

@MarqueeMark

A big election loss is the most sure fire way for Corbyn to lose support and go.

@Foxy

Only for health issues would be my guess as well but even then I could possibly see him staying as chancellor to someone else as leader.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Yeah, that wasn't a particularly clever trick. I believe Osborne still has the copy chucked in his direction. But in this case I think he has a right to be frustrated with those who have managed to keep the anti-Semite story going for the best part of 2 months whilst the government struggles over Brexit.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

What will be true is that he is pissed about the anti-semitism row distracting from a summer of hammering the Government though. He might have some of Corbyn's advisors in his sights for that....
    Yes, it is just possible that John may turn out to be an unlikely Neil Kinnock, and lean on Jezza to demote some of his backroom nutters.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I've watched an interview where he explains what he was doing... can't really remember much of it aside from the original little laugh he gives as he is remembering the event before he accounts for it. Makes me laugh thinking about it now, almost a mischievous slightly proud of what he's done tone.

@MarqueeMark

A big election loss is the most sure fire way for Corbyn to lose support and go.

@Foxy

Only for health issues would be my guess as well but even then I could possibly see him staying as chancellor to someone else as leader.
    I'd like to see his reaction if a Conservative got a cope of Mein Kampf and threw it in his direction: there is not much to choose between Hitler, Mao and (say) Stalin when it comes to outright evil.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

@MarqueeMark

@Foxy

I'd like to see his reaction if a Conservative got a cope of Mein Kampf and threw it in his direction: there is not much to choose between Hitler, Mao and (say) Stalin when it comes to outright evil.
    Mao didn't use human corpses for soap, or kill people on the grounds of their race.

In almost every other conceivable way he was more destructive, more malevolent and more dangerous than Hitler.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    You mean this John Mc Donnell...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za5GYbfRmWo

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited September 2018

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

@MarqueeMark

@Foxy

Fauxrage galore before a return to Jew-baiting.
  • Options

What I wrote ended up being rather callous, or patronising, or somewhat cynical towards Ruth Davidson.

Is for the same reasons I haven’t done a thread on Alex Salmond’s recent issues.
    Ruth Davidson has continued to build street credibility amongst the young especially in Scotland. She has so far been loyal to TM but clearly hates BJ. She is part of the reason that Boris will never by PM of the UK.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
  • Options
    matt said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

@MarqueeMark

@Foxy

Fauxrage galore before a return to Jew-baiting.
    ???
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    I agree with the consensus here - McDonnell is undoubtedly more pragmatic and a more familiar type than JC for fellow-MPs (personally he reminds me a lot of Ed Balls) and undoubtedly frustrated over the way the anti-semitism row dragged on: He has no strong views on the Middle East but even if he had he'd have cheerfully signed the IHLR right away instead of pondering the exact meaning, whereas JC never agrees to say anything that he hasn't been 100% persuaded about - something I find simultaneously impressive and frustrating. But McDonnell has said repeatedly that he doesn't want the leadership (because of the heart attack) and their mutual loyalty has never been questioned.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    Michael Heseltine wasn't Lady Thatcher's ally, and he stabbed her in the front, not the back.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

I agree with the consensus here - McDonnell is undoubtedly more pragmatic and a more familiar type than JC for fellow-MPs (personally he reminds me a lot of Ed Balls) and undoubtedly frustrated over the way the anti-semitism row dragged on: He has no strong views on the Middle East but even if he had he'd have cheerfully signed the IHLR right away instead of pondering the exact meaning, whereas JC never agrees to say anything that he hasn't been 100% persuaded about - something I find simultaneously impressive and frustrating. But McDonnell has said repeatedly that he doesn't want the leadership (because of the heart attack) and their mutual loyalty has never been questioned.

Jezza must spend an awfully long time reading the terms and conditions of various apps and electronic services.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited September 2018
    John McDonnell V Boris johnson would be the ultimate contest between a Dung Beetle and a Skunk.

Something put out by Corbyn or May's PR team i'll wager.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

@MarqueeMark

@Foxy

Mao didn't use human corpses for soap, or kill people on the grounds of their race.

In almost every other conceivable way he was more destructive, more malevolent and more dangerous than Hitler.
    Though still lies in his mausoleum at the heart of his capital. History is complex.

I was rather more disturbed by the German neo-nazi interviewed on the C4 news last week who refused to condemn Hitler.

https://www.channel4.com/news/the-rise-of-the-far-right-in-germany

Sometimes we are asked in history, "How would you have acted to events in 1930's Europe?" Well the answer is what are we doing right now about these same dark undercurrents.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    McDonnell would be easier for moderates to beat than Corbyn though, polling of Labour members last year showed the likes of Umunna and Cooper much closer to McDonnell in any potential leadership election than Corbyn
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691

Ruth Davidson has continued to build street credibility amongst the young especially in Scotland. She has so far been loyal to TM but clearly hates BJ. She is part of the reason that Boris will never by PM of the UK.
    Ruth Davidson is impressive : young, female, gay, liberal, taking on a Scottish Tory institution that is none of those things and more or less winning them over. She is also clever and amusing and when agree chooses can run rings around Nicola Sturgeon, much to the irritation of the SNP.

It's not clear where she goes from here though. I suspect she will leave politics sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

They've got quite a back story these new challengers!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

@MarqueeMark

@Foxy

Though still lies in his mausoleum at the heart of his capital. History is complex.

I was rather more disturbed by the German neo-nazi interviewed on the C4 news last week who refused to condemn Hitler.

https://www.channel4.com/news/the-rise-of-the-far-right-in-germany

Sometimes we are asked in history, "How would you have acted to events in 1930's Europe?" Well the answer is what are we doing right now about these same dark undercurrents.
    There are problems with both extreme left and extreme right - though in this country the former appears to be ascendant. The answer is not to harness the power of the other extreme, but use liberalism and centrism to show *why* both of the extremes are wrong.

And the hideous anti-Semitism coursing through Labour is a good place to start.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Ruth Davidson is impressive : young, female, gay, liberal, taking on a Scottish Tory institution that is none of those things and more or less winning them over. She is also clever and amusing and when agree chooses can run rings around Nicola Sturgeon, much to the irritation of the SNP.

It's not clear where she goes from here though. I suspect she will leave politics sooner rather than later.
    Ruth Davidson is clear she wants to challenge Sturgeon again at the 2021 Holyrood elections, she has clearly made great progress for the Scottish Tories who now dominate rural and market town Scotland and have made inroads into Scottish suburbia but I still think the next Unionist First Minister is more likely to be Richard Leonard than Ruth Davidson simply because the SNP still have a majority of FPTP seats in Scotland largely due to Glasgow and the central belt and it is still Labour rather than the Tories who are most likely to beat the SNP there
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Nigelb said:

I think he’s being positioned as the compromise candidate (acceptable to both sides) *if* something happens to Corbyn
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    Roger said:

They've got quite a back story these new challengers!
    It was Viscount Hailsham, back in the 70’s who coined (or at least popularised) the phrase ‘elective dictatorship’. Under such a regime, the only effective opposition is popular demonstration, since the governments Parliamentary supporters vote for whatever the government proposes.
    Look at the history of the poll tax.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    My take on the 20th century totalitarians, fwiw:

Stalin and Mao were generally unwilling to risk full-scale wars with other great powers, whereas Hitler was willing, and actually started two (with the Soviet Union and the United States) himself. So on international relations, one can perhaps marginally prefer those two to Hitler.

On domestic repression, there is nothing to choose between them. They were of course all utterly ruthless psychopaths who attached no value whatsoever to human life.

On economic matters, Hitler was less incompetent than Stalin and Mao. His policies may have somewhat revived the German economy in the mid-1930s, albeit largely accidentally, since their purpose was to rearm. He never achieved anything like the Great Leap Forward or the self-imposed madness of collectivisation, and ditched the socialist part of National Socialism fairly quickly. As a result, the German economy only started to collapse in the final two years of the war.

But overall, three blights on humanity and we can at least be glad that no leaders of any great power dares to be quite as bad as them today.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Michael Heseltine wasn't Lady Thatcher's ally, and he stabbed her in the front, not the back.

I was thinking about Sir Geoffrey Howe’s resignation speech and then two thirds of the cabinet telling her to stand down after the first round.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Fishing said:

Stalin and Mao were generally unwilling to risk full-scale wars with other great powers, whereas Hitler was willing, and actually started two (with the Soviet Union and the United States) himself. So on international relations, one can perhaps marginally prefer those two to Hitler.

On domestic repression, there is nothing to choose between them. They were of course all utterly ruthless psychopaths who attached no value whatsoever to human life.

On economic matters, Hitler was less incompetent than Stalin and Mao. His policies may have somewhat revived the German economy in the mid-1930s, albeit largely accidentally, since their purpose was to rearm. He never achieved anything like the Great Leap Forward or the self-imposed madness of collectivisation, and ditched the socialist part of National Socialism fairly quickly. As a result, the German economy only started to collapse in the final two years of the war.

But overall, three blights on humanity and we can at least be glad that no leaders of any great power dares to be quite as bad as them today.

Stalin had his own wars - Poland, Finland
    Mao took on the UN in Korea and fought border wars with the USSR and India
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

I think he’s being positioned as the compromise candidate (acceptable to both sides) *if* something happens to Corbyn
    *taps nose significantly*
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

@MarqueeMark

@Foxy

Killing according to race may be open to debate? From a random internet page:

Mao ordered the invasion of Tibet and East Turkestan and the establishment of Han (One of China's ethnic groups) colonies in the regions to pacify them. Mao also ordered that the cultures of these regions be suppressed and replaced with Han culture, by force if required.

This resulted in the death of several million ethnic Tibetans and Uighur (Ethnic Turkmen native to East Turkestan) over the years. This is genocide by anybody's definition of the word.

Mao did similar things all over China. He ordered the local ethnic people either killed or dispersed, and that the local cultures replaced by Han culture.

Mao also lead a campaign of ethnic cleansing against over two million ethnic Japanese and Chinese of Japanese origin in North East China. The casualties were appalling and it was one of the biggest peace time acts of ethnic cleansing of the century.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Ruth Davidson is clear she wants to challenge Sturgeon again at the 2021 Holyrood elections, she has clearly made great progress for the Scottish Tories who now dominate rural and market town Scotland and have made inroads into Scottish suburbia but I still think the next Unionist First Minister is more likely to be Richard Leonard than Ruth Davidson simply because the SNP still have a majority of FPTP seats in Scotland largely due to Glasgow and the central belt and it is still Labour rather than the Tories who are most likely to beat the SNP there
    You keep saying an Englishman will be first minister when in truth Ruth is the only challenger to Nicola as labour sinks to third party status and stays there
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

white powder got stuck ? :-)
  • Options

Indeed, that's why I limited it to full-scale wars with other great powers. Mao's border wars don't remotely compare to Operation Barbarossa.

Incidentally, with Stalin's aggressions there are also the Baltic states, Bessarabia and Poland in 1939.

And with China, Tibet and Vietnam and the pointless shelling of Taiwan.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Mao was deemed to have committed three errors for every seven things he did right. Whatever else he did wrong (it was a lot) he nevertheless lifted China out of poverty where previously 20,000 people a day were dying in Shanghai, and lead the overthrow of course of the Japanese oppressors.

After that, to borrow a popular colloquialism, he went a bit mad. The Great Leap was shocking and callous although at heart was an intention to leap forward greatly and it was often the local cadres, admittedly in fear, who overstated the returns and hence ensured the death and chaos. As for the Cultural Revolution, yes absolutely guilty, repressive, horrible.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Indeed, that's why I limited it to full-scale wars with other great powers. Mao's border wars don't remotely compare to Operation Barbarossa.

Incidentally, with Stalin's aggressions there are also the Baltic states, Bessarabia and Poland in 1939.

Hitler had a blue print for Lebensraum

The communist dictators while not having one for the spread of world communism were opprtunistic aggressors and would take the risk of ending up in conflict with other major powers.
  • Options

Fishing said:

I was thinking about Sir Geoffrey Howe’s resignation speech and then two thirds of the cabinet telling her to stand down after the first round.
    Neither really qualifies as stabbing someone in the back imho. If Sir GH had told her he'd be nice to her after he resigned and then had delivered that speech, it might. And her ministers were giving her sensible tactical advice when she asked for it. But I appreciate that's semantics.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    HYUFD said:

McDonnell would be easier for moderates to beat than Corbyn though, polling of Labour members last year showed the likes of Umunna and Cooper much closer to McDonnell in any potential leadership election than Corbyn

He's still not as well known, and would no doubt get the left-wing vote if there was a contest, but by the same token he's no doubt got a back story like anyone in lefitst politics for decades - for that matter, every Laboiur leader goes through the media fire.

Not sure there's much point in pondering the relative horrors of historical demons, but FWIW I think Hitler's eagerness to kill people merely for what they born as (rather than what they said or did) makes him stand out in atrocity. Stalin was a murderous paranoiac but if you stayed out of politics and did what you were told you were probably OK. I know less about Mao but my impression there too is that if you kept your head down and put up with humiliations you would probably survive.

The reason both the latter still have their domestic fans is that they were also associated with some successful national periods. My Tory-voting Russian-born mother felt Stalin had his good points (although we had at least one family member - the most political and indeed left-wing of the family - who died in Siberia) - "at least he stuck it out in Moscow when it was threatened and beat the Nazis". Churchill may have felt much the same. My impression is that many Chinese associate Mao with the emergence from chaos after WW2, though most would accept that the Cultural Revolution was insane. With Hitler, people associate him with both horror and national catastrophe, so only a few racist contrarians have anything to say for him.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Why would that immediately come to your mind, Alan?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    TOPPING said:

Fishing said:

Mao was deemed to have committed three errors for every seven things he did right. Whatever else he did wrong (it was a lot) he nevertheless lifted China out of poverty where previously 20,000 people a day were dying in Shanghai, and lead the overthrow of course of the Japanese oppressors.

After that, to borrow a popular colloquialism, he went a bit mad. The Great Leap was shocking and callous although at heart was an intention to leap forward greatly and it was often the local cadres, admittedly in fear, who overstated the returns and hence ensured the death and chaos. As for the Cultural Revolution, yes absolutely guilty, repressive, horrible.
    People were dying of starvation in their hundreds and thousands, millions in fact, under Mao while he was taking the Chinese out of poverty. If you’re dead I suppose you are no longer poor but it seems to me to be nonsense to say that Mao lifted China out of poverty as if it was to his credit. Lots of other countries lifted themselves out of poverty during the same period - but without the death and bloodshed. Mao was a monster.
  • Options
    Mr. Fishing, isn't there a concentration camp for gay people, in Chechnya?

I agree no major power's leader are as bad as those three, but it's eminently possible to be better than Stalin and still atrocious.
  • Options

Fishing said:

The communist dictators while not having one for the spread of world communism were opprtunistic aggressors and would take the risk of ending up in conflict with other major powers.
    Early in the rise of the Soviets it was expected that Communism would become the dominant world philosophy and if war was necessary to promote it, so be it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Im shocked

As one who has dwelt among ulster folk ( allbeit in the sheughs and hedgrows ) you are well aware we would never pass the chance to slur an englishman.

You need a refresher course - two weeks in Augher should sort you out :-)
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Fishing said:

Early in the rise of the Soviets it was expected that Communism would become the dominant world philosophy and if war was necessary to promote it, so be it.
    they tried in 1920 but couldnt get past the poles
  • Options
    Morning in all,

I log on to see a thread header about John McDonnell, and then a long discussion about totalitarians of the 20th century.

Coincidence obviously.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He's still not as well known, and would no doubt get the left-wing vote if there was a contest, but by the same token he's no doubt got a back story like anyone in lefitst politics for decades - for that matter, every Laboiur leader goes through the media fire.

Not sure there's much point in pondering the relative horrors of historical demons, but FWIW I think Hitler's eagerness to kill people merely for what they born as (rather than what they said or did) makes him stand out in atrocity. Stalin was a murderous paranoiac but if you stayed out of politics and did what you were told you were probably OK. I know less about Mao but my impression there too is that if you kept your head down and put up with humiliations you would probably survive.

The reason both the latter still have their domestic fans is that they were also associated with some successful national periods. My Tory-voting Russian-born mother felt Stalin had his good points (although we had at least one family member - the most political and indeed left-wing of the family - who died in Siberia) - "at least he stuck it out in Moscow when it was threatened and beat the Nazis". Churchill may have felt much the same. My impression is that many Chinese associate Mao with the emergence from chaos after WW2, though most would accept that the Cultural Revolution was insane. With Hitler, people associate him with both horror and national catastrophe, so only a few racist contrarians have anything to say for him.
    I think that the Chinese associate Mao with the ending of the national century of humiliation, starting with the Opium Wars, and ending with the total victory of his forces over the Japanese and the Chinese Nationalists. China regards that century of chaotic civil wars, warlordism and exploitation by colonial powers as a very bad period.

Mao is respected as a national leader who restored unity and great power status, rather than for his economic policy. Ho in Vietnam, and even Stalin or Mugabe get some similar respect in their own lands. Hitler and Mussolini do not because they broke their countries, not fixed them.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Im shocked

As one who has dwelt among ulster folk ( allbeit in the sheughs and hedgrows ) you are well aware we would never pass the chance to slur an englishman.

You need a refresher course - two weeks in Augher should sort you out :-)
    haha Augher, Clogher, Fivemiletown no thanks although I'm sure it is a charming tourist area these days.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Fishing said:

People were dying of starvation in their hundreds and thousands, millions in fact, under Mao while he was taking the Chinese out of poverty. If you’re dead I suppose you are no longer poor but it seems to me to be nonsense to say that Mao lifted China out of poverty as if it was to his credit. Lots of other countries lifted themselves out of poverty during the same period - but without the death and bloodshed. Mao was a monster.
    As I mentioned yes, they were, millions of them, as the Great Leap ended up as a shocking exercise, callously implemented.

I am far from a Mao apologist but there is no comparison with Hitler.
  • Options
    This morning's Metro has a great image of Theresa May and Philip watching ITV's 'The Chase' while she does her red boxes in the Chequers Lounge from tonight's Panorama
  • Options

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

You keep saying an Englishman will be first minister when in truth Ruth is the only challenger to Nicola as labour sinks to third party status and stays there
    That requires the Tories to gain central belt seats first
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited September 2018
    From the Guardian:

Theresa May says UK will leave with no deal if MPs reject Chequers plan

Theresa May is either very very clever or very very stupid. I suspect it will turn out to be the latter.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    I see that Boris has been stealing lines from Morris Dancer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45543609?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_source=facebook&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_mchannel=social

"But Mr Johnson's column in Monday's Daily Telegraph criticises her strategy to leave the EU.

He says Mrs May's Chequers plan "would mean for the first time since 1066 our leaders were deliberately acquiescing in foreign rule".

He describes a backstop for the Irish border as "an attempt to annex Northern Ireland" by Brussels in creating a border down the Irish Sea."
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    edited September 2018
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Fishing said:

As I mentioned yes, they were, millions of them, as the Great Leap ended up as a shocking exercise, callously implemented.

Mao, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Franco, Mussolini - not a fag paper between them, frankly, in their effect on the unfortunates peoples who came within their orbit. Monsters all. Anyone who thinks their ideologies have anything at all to commend them is an idiot with no moral sense whatsoever.

Anyway work to do - I have a new project on and my larder to be filled so the Cyclefrees don’t starve after next March so I will not be on here as frequently but will drop by from time to time.
  • Options
    Irish presidential elections latest poll

Gavan Reilly

@gavreilly

POLL: SBP/Red C #aras18
    (Margin of error 3%)
    Michael D Higgins 67
    Sean Gallagher 15
    SF candidate 7
    Gavin Duffy 6
    Joan Freeman 3
    Peter Casey 1
    Gemma O’Doherty 1
    9:49 AM - Sep 16, 2018

• Options

HYUFD said:

"Stalin was a murderous paranoiac but if you stayed out of politics and did what you were told you were probably OK."

As far as I'm aware that's very wrong. Stalin's paranoia repeatedly imprisoned people or worse regardless of politics. It's just that we don't notice the millions of poor people who were mistreated because they didn't have a voice.

I find your slanted horror of Hitler funny given that so many people in the Labour party are following anti-Semitic memes that Hitler and his followers would have recognised and approved of. I mean, Corbyn allegedly didn't even recognise that mural as being in any way anti-Semitic ...
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, hmm. Ever read Wild Swans, by Jung Chang?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Fishing said:

Mao, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Franco, Mussolini - not a fag paper between them, frankly, in their effect on the unfortunates peoples who came within their orbit. Monsters all. Anyone who thinks their ideologies have anything at all to commend them is an idiot with no moral sense whatsoever.

Anyway work to do - I have a new project on and my larder to be filled so the Cyclefrees don’t starve after next March so I will not be on here as frequently but will drop by from time to time.
    Pretty facile view of those people but enjoy your larder-filling project.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Mr. Fishing, isn't there a concentration camp for gay people, in Chechnya?

I agree no major power's leader are as bad as those three, but it's eminently possible to be better than Stalin and still atrocious.

Absolutely.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Fishing said:

Good luck with the new project, Ms Free.

I too, am undertaking a new project: more-free-time-now-son-is-at-school. Unfortunately it seems mainly to consist of sewing labels onto clothes and cleaning the house ...
  • Options

It's a great book. The Cultural Revolution was an abomination.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Fishing said:

Anyway work to do - I have a new project on and my larder to be filled so the Cyclefrees don’t starve after next March so I will not be on here as frequently...
    Another malign consequence of Brexit ?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Just a simple question here.

If the technology works in one location (ie British Ports) in what way is it unable to work in other locations, such as ROI / NI border?
  • Options
    In the (apparently somewhat unlikely) event of McDonnell sticking in the knife, it would hardly be comparable to the Ides of March.
    After all, Caesar was murdered for being too attached to power, rather then insufficiently committed to achieving it.
  • Options

Morning in all,

I log on to see a thread header about John McDonnell, and then a long discussion about totalitarians of the 20th century.

Coincidence obviously.

Perhaps the intro line should be "Et tu, brutish?"
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Mao’s predecessor, Chiang Kai-shek, was no saint, either. Millions died as a result of his actions.

For the avoidance of doubt, that sentence should not be read as excusing such Maoist actions as the Cultural Revolution.
  • Options
    philiph said:

If the technology works in one location (ie British Ports) in what way is it unable to work in other locations, such as ROI / NI border?
    Roads are more porous than ports. Don't boast tend to have a manifest already while roads don't?
  • Options
    philiph said:

It’s unable to work on the ROI/NI border because it means infrastructure and checks which have been ruled out.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Mao’s predecessor, Chiang Kai-shek, was no saint, either. Millions died as a result of his actions.

For the avoidance of doubt, that sentence should not be read as excusing such Maoist actions as the Cultural Revolution.
    Indeed. It is possible to have a contextual and layered view of Mao. To say that he and Hitler et all were the same is untypically superficial of @Cyclefree - like saying Fred West and the Unabomber are the same because they were both murderers.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Indeed. It is possible to have a contextual and layered view of Mao. To say that he and Hitler et all were the same is untypically superficial of @Cyclefree - like saying Fred West and the Unabomber are the same because they were both murderers.
    I cannot speak for Ms Free, but I'd argue that the differences are essentially irrelevant when discussing the millions of personal little tragedies they caused.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    On the Hitler/Stalin scale of evil I'd probably mark it 49/51 to Stalin in a tight contest.
    Both were paranoid genocidal maniacs but the murder weighed heavier on Hitler and he needed barbiturates to survive. Stalin, by contrast, looked relatively at peace with the torture and murder of even his immediate associates.

It's still a remarkable historical footnote that Hitler was gentle with children, a great lover of dogs and could be personally very caring to his secretarial staff. Meanwhile, Stalin read copiously, wrote charming poignant poetry and enjoyed watching Hollywood movies.

I suppose you can only be a complete psychopath to be that way whilst murdering tens of millions of people!
  • Options
    Also, "our leaders" - who were all French for hundreds of years.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

It is possible to have a nuanced view of bad people, the drug addict, the mugger, the paedophile, the serial killer, Mao and then Hitler probably all belong on slightly different levels of the scale.

In fact much of the recent statue argument, should we tear down all statues seems somewhat related to that, many of our great historical figures are morally compromised by today's standards. That doesn't mean we just call them bad and leave it at that. Mao is on a totally different level to most but we have had some terrible (morally) leaders that have also done good things that we can appreciate or acknowledge without it meaning we disregard the bad.
  • Options

philiph said:

It’s unable to work on the ROI/NI border because it means infrastructure and checks which have been ruled out.
    checks already take place on agricultural products on the Britain Ireland border. The island of Ireland is treated as one for the purposes of stopping contamination of the eco system - anthing from invasisve non native plants to foot and mouth. The DUP farming base strongly supports this.
  • Options
    For those who like historical twitter accounts, @TBTFLive seems to be shaping up well.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

For those who like historical twitter accounts, @TBTFLive seems to be shaping up well.

https://twitter.com/TBTFLive for those trying to find it...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

It is possible to have a nuanced view of bad people, the drug addict, the mugger, the paedophile, the serial killer, Mao and then Hitler probably all belong on slightly different levels of the scale.

In fact much of the recent statue argument, should we tear down all statues seems somewhat related to that, many of our great historical figures are morally compromised by today's standards. That doesn't mean we just call them bad and leave it at that. Mao is on a totally different level to most but we have had some terrible (morally) leaders that have also done good things that we can appreciate or acknowledge without it meaning we disregard the bad.
    If you travel too far down the road with the truly evil, you end up excusing the evil. The problem is that the few good things they did are hard to disentangle from the evil - the good can be a result, at least in part, of the consequences of the evil.
This discussion has been closed.