Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Chequers is dead, so should

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited September 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Chequers is dead, so should Labour offer a ‘people’s vote’?

As Labour heads to Liverpool, Keiran Pedley and Leo Barasi look at the polling and ask whether it is in Labour’s interests to offer another vote on Brexit. They lay out the case for and against and debate what happens next.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    I think Theresa may be having Regrexit over Salzburg,,,
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    You have to admire May’s enormous self-belief in her ability to convince people of a deal that literally everyone had been publicly ridiculing for two months. There’s a certain level of delusion there that takes on an impressive quality.

So May has been humiliated, and that was crushingly inevitable. Her total failure to listen to anyone at all except for the oleaginous Olly Robbins practically guaranteed that some kind of massive humiliation was on the cards.

Even then, I’m surprised at the savageness of the EU’s response. I think we can safely say the EU27 have decided that no political capital can be made from humouring May. They’ve given up on her too.

If I were May I’d just cut my losses and run. There is nowhere left to hide.

When May’s political epitaph is written it will be the history of a woman who ignored all advice except the terrible wisdom of a few sycophantic spads who told her exactly what she wants to hear.

Remember in Jan 2017, Sir Ivan Rogers was forced out by May as U.K. ambassador to the EU for being to pessimistic and for publicly saying the U.K. government was dangerously unaware of the hostility of the EU27 to Brexit?

When you look at what has been being briefed by the commission and the EU27 over the last month about Salzburg, the platitudes, the kind noises off... they’ve been laying this trap, planning this violent political buggery for months. And nobody in No 10 had any idea.

It has all been so crushingly inevitable. The 24/7 ongoing political slow motion car crash that has been May's Brexit "negotiation" has just run, suddenly predictably, out of road and it's obvious that May has no idea where to go next.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

murali_s said:

TOPPING said:

V nice Big G; sad to say or perhaps it's just as well you don't get to say what the "British character" is. Your post, understandably, is desperate. Because you have realised finally what Brexit means - no longer a rich man's plaything but undermining real people who can least afford it.

So what if you and your family have had enough? Now you want to walk away? And Airbus? And the rest?

This is a gruelling negotiation with an entity who at every stage has told us what Brexit would and could actually mean. Archie may have realised this, so did many others. It's reality bites time.

I would take a chill pill if I were you - the British public has voted to f&ck the nation (cf voting in a Labour government) and those of us on the losing side must just suck it up.

So are you saying the British character is not one of fair play and decency. I am not desperate just angry at the behavior of the EU

It is TM deal or no deal for me and I would expect for many
    Don't be angry at the EU. Be angry at the disingenuous lying politicians that inhabit the Conservative party.
    And in labour but my anger with the EU is the way they belittled our Prime Minister and it would be the same if it had been any other Prime Minister. I see no reason to roll over to them
    How did they belittle her? They disagreed with her in public on a point of substance. That's a failure of diplomacy.
    Come on. I don't like TM and I hate Chequers, but I won't stand to see the UK PM treated like that. I question her judgement but her behaviour has been impeccable. If the EU had wanted to reject Chequers there were a million more appropriate ways of going about it. Their failure of diplomacy.
  • Options
    i.e. Chequers lives as long as it looks EXACTLY like what the EU wanted all along and especially as long as May makes a humiliating volte face on her "red lines" and accepts total ECJ jurisdiction and the integrity of the single market, and the utter repudiation of everything she represents?

Not a big ask then.
  • Options

You have to admire May’s enormous self-belief in her ability to convince people of a deal that literally everyone had been publicly ridiculing for two months. There’s a certain level of delusion there that takes on an impressive quality.

So May has been humiliated, and that was crushingly inevitable. Her total failure to listen to anyone at all except for the oleaginous Olly Robbins practically guaranteed that some kind of massive humiliation was on the cards.

Even then, I’m surprised at the savageness of the EU’s response. I think we can safely say the EU27 have decided that no political capital can be made from humouring May. They’ve given up on her too.

When May’s political epitaph is written it will be the history of a woman who ignored all advice except the terrible wisdom of a few sycophantic spads who told her exactly what she wants to hear.

Remember in Jan 2017, Sir Ivan Rogers was forced out by May as U.K. ambassador to the EU for being to pessimistic and for publicly saying the U.K. government was dangerously unaware of the hostility of the EU27 to Brexit?

When you look at what has been being briefed by the commission and the EU27 over the last month about Salzburg, the platitudes, the kind noises off... they’ve been laying this trap, planning this violent political buggery for months. And nobody in No 10 had any idea.

It has all been so crushingly inevitable. The 24/7 ongoing political slow motion car crash that has been May's Brexit "negotiation" has just run, suddenly predictably, out of road and it's obvious that May has no idea where to go next.

I am wondering if she will resign. Maybe at the conference. Everyone has a limit.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503

Spot on.

She failed by surroundering herself with sycophants and refusing to listen to legitimate objections.
  • Options
    Why would Macron be remotely interested in Brexit voters? He's talking to the French electorate.
  • Options
    Macron was speaking the truth, but people prefer lies.
  • Options

Why would Macron be remotely interested in Brexit voters? He's talking to the French electorate.
    Why would PeoplesVote think it smart to promote his comments.

They're more interested in saying 'we were right, you were wrong' than winning a second vote.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Foxy said:

'For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.' :-)
  • Options
    Still listening to the podcast but my immediate thought is that Labour need to get on the news talking about something that doesn't involve Jews, and it seems like spending a while airing both sides of the argument about a re-referendum would do the job.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    He was speaking the truth. Yes I know it hurts but it's the truth.

We are up sh*t creek and the best that you and the like minded fools you quote from is to blame dirty foreigners for the parlous state of this country.

FFS I give up with people like you!
  • Options
    edited September 2018

They're more interested in saying 'we were right, you were wrong' than winning a second vote.
    Yes, I think we're moving towards letting the gammons reap the whirlwind of their own stupidity. I think that it's an idea that has merits.

The British body politic is starting to realise, as a whole, that actions have consequences. This, they've decided, is just Not Cricket and completely unfair.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

So why are PeoplesVote pushing it? They keep trying to prove they're cleverer than the ghastly proles Leave voters, than persuade them of the merits of staying in the EU.
  • Options

He's also trying to distract from the Senate enquiry into his "bodyguard" and his dire poll ratings.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    Gerald Batten telling UKIP Conference (me neither) that the British people are decent, fair, upstanding....

Has anyone seen Big G???
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,976
    Foxy said:

He's a terrific speaker in French. That's how you do le registre soutenu, mes amis.
  • Options

He's also trying to distract from the Senate enquiry into his "bodyguard" and his dire poll ratings.
    Polling doesn't matter when years away from the next French elections. We do not get to choose those on the other side.
  • Options
    murali_s said:
    For this relief much thanks.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    If there is no deal it makes sense for Labour to join the LDs and demand a 'People's Vote'.

If on the other hand a BINO transition period is agreed it makes much less sense
  • Options
    Gerard Batten at UKIP conference 'We are going to hit Remainers hard'
  • Options
    Interesting way of looking at things:

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1043048147327574016

Pity not enough self-identified as 'evil'.....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    I am sure they will, I don't see the downside for them as they can fudge being some kind of leave or remain, and since the gov needs to split for it to happen it's all upside.
  • Options
    Also, I have decided that I somewhat fancy the savage Insta-DILF himself, Donald Tusk.

Is that weird?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,976

The missing bottom three are easy:

JRM - Gove - Farage
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Whoops, I didn't notice the last thread was long dead when I posted this:

This morning I have had time to consider the events of yesterday and my reaction to them.

The one constant in the British character is a desire for fair play and decency and the EU leaders failed that test yesterday. They showed that they are a little better than children, laughing smugly as they humiliated the female Prime Minister of a sovereign state, a group of men huddled closely together bearing down on her, as has been displayed on the front pages of most newspapers today.

Tusk thinks it is funny to publicly offer her a tray of cakes with the cherries removed while they all giggle like children, Macron parrots Adonis’s line word for word, and Juncker’s makes his normal pathetic and disingenuous words of welcome.

I have had enough of them and not only my wife but my family Whatsapp messages are equally furious with them and all back TM sticking to her guns or walking away.

They think they are so clever but they misjudged the British when they think they can attack with glee our Prime Minister and I would expect this misjudgment will rebound in ways they do not expect.

The question now is do we want to have anything to do with them other than trade which if necessary will be on WTO and right now I would imagine a resounding voice of be gone would rise from the Country.

If the second referendum (dishonest people’s vote) campaign think they will have even a remote chance of getting a referendum, far less winning, they are not facing how much the EU will now be despised.

They had their chance yesterday to act professionally and negotiate accordingly and instead they acted out an ambush and put turbo boosters under the ERG and Farage. I have apologised to Aussie Archer for some of my disagreements with him as yesterday’s events seem to have shown he was on the ball with a lot of his posts

This is a very sad day for the whole of Europe and I hope the Irish PM is ready for the consequences of a hard Brexit and his land bridge to Europe closed.

They have way overplayed their hand and there will be consequences for them and especially many tens of thousands of EU workers

Chequers was DOA. Pretending otherwise is nothing but a scam that May was perpetrating on her own party. There's only one project she's ever cared about and it's not Brexit, it's Operation Keep May In Power. If it took some dramatics from the EU to stop her from recklessly running down the clock even further then we should be grateful.

I get the impression from your comments that you see May as a fundamentally decent person doing her best in impossibly difficult circumstances. And as beset on all sides by enemies as she is, you feel a chivalrous protectiveness towards her. That's admirable, but I think it might be warping your perspective.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359

I don't think they think the outcome of a second referendum is any doubt. Just like they didn't think the result of a first referendum was in any doubt. The only people they talk about Europe with agree with them, so they underestimate the number of people who disagree with them, and they are unable or unwilling to understand the reasons why people voted against the EU, so they ascribe it to ignorance or spite.
  • Options

The Neutral picks are all really strange, which makes me think very few people identified as Neutral.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Gerald Batten telling UKIP Conference (me neither) that the British people are decent, fair, upstanding....

Has anyone seen Big G???

I am at home here in North Wales and I did not write his speech, maybe he saw my post !!!!!
  • Options

Still listening to the podcast but my immediate thought is that Labour need to get on the news talking about something that doesn't involve Jews, and it seems like spending a while airing both sides of the argument about a re-referendum would do the job.

Labour are too busy being eaten alive by Momentum.

See this, from retiring NEC member Ann Black:

"The Times We Live In

But underlying the whole open/mandatory reselection argument is the fact that a significant number of members hate Labour MPs, individually and collectively , especially for trying to get rid of Jeremy in 2016, and would be happy to purge the lot of them. Just one of the Momentum mails, sadly not untypical, from member Sue Hyett (she is happy to be named) is headed Back Stabbing Fat Cats and says:

“There is no home in Labour for these incumbents we need reselection not jobs that allow you to stick your nose in the trough for the rest of your working career.”

The party constitution says, in Clause I, that :

“its purpose is to organise and maintain in Parliament and in the country a political Labour Party”

and it is increasingly difficult to do both.

And finally a comment in support of an applicant for membership:

“Saying that your MP is a wanker and being generally critical of him in front of other party members may be disrespectful, but if everyone who insulted each other thus were to be asked to leave the party, there would be no-one left.”

This is not the kinder, gentler politics which Jeremy promised in 2015. The next report, after conference, will be my last as a member of the NEC, and it is now for others to find a way back from the edge."

(my boldings)

https://www.annblack.co.uk/reports_of_meetings/nec-meeting-18-september-2018/
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Spot on.

She failed by surroundering herself with sycophants and refusing to listen to legitimate objections.
    Maybe we could give Elizabeth Holmes a shot at sorting out Brexit.
  • Options
    I'm got a bad feeling about this....
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

I am wondering if she will resign. Maybe at the conference. Everyone has a limit.
    I wondered that too, if not before.

If she does have to abandon Chequers or something that can be spun as at least Chequers minus, surely she has to have someone else do the next move whatever it is. Having hung her hat on Chequers and lost two senior ministers ( yes I know, but if it is sunk totally, they’ve been proved right, even if possibly for a different set of reasons to the ones they were thinking), surely she cannot be the one who says “ok it’s now plan B”.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I'm got a bad feeling about this....

Relax - Mike is back from Holiday :-)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Gerard Batten at UKIP conference 'We are going to hit Remainers hard'

Bring it on. We are not scared of pea-brained racists like Gerard Batten!
  • Options
    Is it time to bet on no brexit in 2019?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Afternoon all :)

As I said on here last night, a pathetically predictable response from elements of the Conservative heartland.

The usual media suspects have gone overboard on their anti-European ranting pulling out all the old stereotypes and re-enforcing them because they dared not to strew rose petals on the path of the beloved Britannia.

Do I feel "insulted" or "humiliated" ? Not in the least. May's a grown up - she's been in politics long enough to know how the game is played and the dance is danced. Yesterday was a reality check - we've heard nothing but the mantra of "hard work" from the Prime Minister since July 2016 but has that work been done? It seems not.

We've gone there puffed up by our own expectations that the EU will roll over and do a deal - no, they won't. It's vital for them to make it as difficult as possible for us - "you can have the Euro any time you like but you can never leave".

None of this means a deal can't or won't be done but the deal will be a tough sell for May as it will mean more concessions even than Chequers and while it seems the red line for her isn't immigration but "our precious union" that might not be where other people's red lines are.

It now seems for some "no deal IS better than a bad deal" once again.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Spot on.

Or Elizabeth Montgomery?

(showing my age)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    edited September 2018
    welshowl said:

Foxy said:

Spot on.

Or Elizabeth Montgomery?

(showing my age)
    @EssexIt would no doubt suggest staunch Brexiteer Elizabeth Hurley.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    welshowl said:

Foxy said:

Spot on.

Or Elizabeth Montgomery?

(showing my age)
    Or Elizabeth I?
  • Options
    stodge said:

As I said on here last night, a pathetically predictable response from elements of the Conservative heartland.

The usual media suspects have gone overboard on their anti-European ranting pulling out all the old stereotypes and re-enforcing them because they dared not to strew rose petals on the path of the beloved Britannia.

Do I feel "insulted" or "humiliated" ? Not in the least. May's a grown up - she's been in politics long enough to know how the game is played and the dance is danced. Yesterday was a reality check - we've heard nothing but the mantra of "hard work" from the Prime Minister since July 2016 but has that work been done? It seems not.

We've gone there puffed up by our own expectations that the EU will roll over and do a deal - no, they won't. It's vital for them to make it as difficult as possible for us - "you can have the Euro any time you like but you can never leave".

None of this means a deal can't or won't be done but the deal will be a tough sell for May as it will mean more concessions even than Chequers and while it seems the red line for her isn't immigration but "our precious union" that might not be where other people's red lines are.

This article from Peston is interesting: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:p4O61br6TisJ:https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/09/chequers-goes-pop-theresa-mays-salzburg-catastrophe/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk
    “We were so ready to help” says one. But she and her officials made two serious miscalculations, they say:

1) She was too aggressive, both in her article setting out what she wants in the German newspaper, Die Welt, and at last night’s dinner;

2) She was naive in thinking she could appeal above the heads of Barnier, Juncker and Tusk to EU leaders, when those leaders have more pressing issues on their plates and delegated the substance of talks to Barnier for a good reason.

Which means May has driven Brexit talks into a dark cul de sac, and goodness alone knows how she’ll get her – and the UK – out of it.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

welshowl said:

Foxy said:

Spot on.

Or Elizabeth Montgomery?

(showing my age)
    @EssexIt would no doubt suggest staunch Brexiteer Elizabeth Hurley.
    Oo now you’re talking.....
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

The missing bottom three are easy:

JRM - Gove - Farage
    That's cheating - only 'Lawful' favoured Leave, while Chaotic favoured Remain - Neutral were, well, neutral.

Who's you 'Evil Chaotic' - Adonis?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    stodge said:

She went to Austria puffed up by widespread Tory and media expectations that the EU will roll over and do a deal. They've now realized, shockingly late, that this isn't in fact the case. And since that was the sole assumption underlying May's entire strategy (if you can call it that) it's difficult to overstate how much of a personal, UTTER disaster this has been for her.

You know what they say, never get high on your own supply. That applies to Brexiteer bullshit as well as hard drugs.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Well said. The dimwits who live on this right-wing blog should read this and reflect.
  • Options

welshowl said:

Foxy said:

Spot on.

Or Elizabeth Montgomery?

(showing my age)
    Or Elizabeth I?
    Not quite that old. Even if the negotiations are getting a little ruff.

• Options

Foxy said:

Spot on.

Nah. The leavers act like Elizabeth Holmes.

*) They have a wizard idea for something that will be brilliant (in their minds).
    *) They don't listen to anyone who tells them it is impossible.
    *) They get a load of senile old men to believe and invest in it.
    *) They use lots of PR and press to say how brilliant it is.
    *) They get a few people working on it, but mainly just bask in how awesome they are.
    *) They don't develop the thing and it all goes to pot.
    *) They screech "It's all someone else's fault !!!"

We still have to see if either Theranos or Brexit will end up in any jail time ...
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    edited September 2018
    That would be brilliant but I can't see it. I'm sure all Tories other than the mad Wollaston sorts would prefer no deal to a GE and the prospect of Corbyn but I'd still have a Chequers style deal as being by far the most likely option, the fact the pound showed no real movement suggests little has changed despite all the bluster and posturing.
  • Options

stodge said:

She went to Austria puffed up by widespread Tory and media expectations that the EU will roll over and do a deal. They've now realized, shockingly late, that this isn't in fact the case. And since that was the sole assumption underlying May's entire strategy (if you can call it that) it's difficult to overstate how much of a personal, UTTER disaster this has been for her.

You know what they say, never get high on your own supply. That applies to Brexiteer bullshit as well as hard drugs.
    https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1043039718789861376
  • Options
    Brom said:

That would be brilliant but I can't see it. I'm sure all Tories other than the mad Wollaston sorts would prefer no deal to a GE and the prospect of Corbyn but I'd still have a Chequers style deal as being by far the most likely option, the fact the pound showed no real movement suggests little has changed despite all the bluster and posturing.
    At least one thing has changed. Another week has gone by and another EU meeting gone.

The clock is ticking, thanks to May's original sin of starting A50 without any planning.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    What point is Dominic Raab trying to make? That he has failed to convince the EU of his own case?
  • Options
    Dan Hodges seems to think May is immediately (and brilliantly) going to pivot to No Deal before the conference. Seems extremely unlikely to me, would surely lead to her party no confidencing her (alliance of Remainers and some Leavers who want to be next leader, who'd take the line that they want to negotiate a Canada deal instead), or possibly even the government falling (since I imagine she'd lose the DUP)
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Brom said:

At least one thing has changed. Another week has gone by and another EU meeting gone.

The clock is ticking, thanks to May's original sin of starting A50 without any planning.
    18 months or 2 years is plenty of time to get an agreement in place. Was it ever going to not come down to the wire though? It will suit both parties a great deal I'm sure.
  • Options

stodge said:

Except May's not a Brexiteer. The main Brexiteers (besides Gove) walked off and said this was a terrible idea.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    stodge said:

Of course if Blair had imposed transition controls on free movement from the new accession countries in 2004 as he could have done the immigration problem would have been much less of an issue.

As it is I think May will agree a stay in the single market and customs union through the transition period deal for the UK with a customs union backstop for NI but if that has not produced a FTA by the end of 2020 I think Boris will challenge on a Canada style FTA for GB platform
  • Options
    Brom said:

The pound hasn't moved because Chequers was dead long before yesterday.
  • Options

stodge said:

Except May's not a Brexiteer. The main Brexiteers (besides Gove) walked off and said this was a terrible idea.
    I mean, what is she? I don't have the slightest idea any more. I doubt even she does. I guess, if she seriously believe Chequers could fly, she's best called a unspeakably-terrible-compromisist?

In truth I think she's just useless.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

What point is Dominic Raab trying to make? That he has failed to convince the EU of his own case?
    I've not been impressed by Raab in this job. I know many hail him as the Great Next Leader from that younger generation, but I've not seen any reason for this so far.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

18 months or 2 years is plenty of time to get an agreement in place. Was it ever going to not come down to the wire though? It will suit both parties a great deal I'm sure.
    So you're saying the current state of affairs is actually working for May too?
    🤔
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Of course if Blair had imposed transition controls on free movement from the new accession countries in 2004 as he could have done the immigration problem would have been much less of an issue.

As it is I think May will agree a stay in the single market and customs union through the transition period deal for the UK with a customs union backstop for NI but if that has not produced a FTA by the end of 2020 I think Boris will challenge on a Canada style FTA for GB platform
    Even if Blair had imposed a transition period that would have done nothing other than delay the inevitable. Free movement would still be there. The issues would still be there.

We imposed the maximum possible transition controls on Romania, did that stop a surge in Romanian migrants? No of course it didn't. We now have more Romanians in this country than either Irish or Indians.

Transition controls are not the answer.
  • Options
  • Options
    Rumours of a full-on PM statement this afternoon.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    FF43 said:

No, that the EU has reason for negotiations to fail and may be negotiating in less than good faith I suspect

"to encourage the others" and all that
  • Options

FF43 said:

I've not been impressed by Raab in this job. I know many hail him as the Great Next Leader from that younger generation, but I've not seen any reason for this so far.
    Raab is just living up to (the very low) expectations that is to be expected of a right-wing Tory politician.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Even if Blair had imposed a transition period that would have done nothing other than delay the inevitable. Free movement would still be there. The issues would still be there.

We imposed the maximum possible transition controls on Romania, did that stop a surge in Romanian migrants? No of course it didn't. We now have more Romanians in this country than either Irish or Indians.

Transition controls are not the answer.
    That can't be right. I remember the Guardian's mockery of the suggestion we'd have a surge of Romanians.If they'd actually come I'm pretty sure I'd have heard about it from them.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Raab was set up by May. His sole purpose is to spout Brexiteer platitudes for the delight of the peanut gallery while May drives the whole show careening into a giant political crevasse.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

I wondered that too, if not before.

If she does have to abandon Chequers or something that can be spun as at least Chequers minus, surely she has to have someone else do the next move whatever it is. Having hung her hat on Chequers and lost two senior ministers ( yes I know, but if it is sunk totally, they’ve been proved right, even if possibly for a different set of reasons to the ones they were thinking), surely she cannot be the one who says “ok it’s now plan B”.
    Maybe today?
  • Options
    Election? - nope

Resignation? - maybe

Nuclear strike on Brussels for dissing her? - nailed on
  • Options
    The Government has a Brexit policy? :lol:
  • Options
    Rumours May is to give a steps of number 10, full lectern job at 1:45pm

Think she's calling it a day? I would not blame her one bit.
  • Options

She will restate how wonderful Chequers is and the alternative is No Deal.

Nothing has changed.
  • Options
    I guess we're about to find out what Leavers do when they've shouted "Rule Britannia", when they've sung "God Save the Queen" and when they've finished killing Juncker with their mouths.
  • Options
    My scenario of David Davis getting a coronation to be PM for two years - to implement a Canada plus deal before standing down for a new leader - looks ever closer to reality today....
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

1:45 from inside No. 10
  • Options

Nothing has changed.
    That is my guess...and something about continuing to work hard to try to talk with EU.
  • Options

Nothing has changed.
    "Today I am announcing Chequers 2: Red White and Blue Boogaloo"
  • Options

If so what do we think?

No Deal
    Resigning
    GE
    2nd Ref
  • Options
    Chexit means Chexit.
  • Options
    I don't think there will be a pivot to No Deal. She doesn't do anything unless she's practised it and if this was the plan it would have leaked by now. The only time she did anything suddenly was call a GE. Oh hold on. Only an idiot does the same thing twice expecting a different result. She can't be that desperate to try to alter the parliamentary maths, can she?
  • Options

Chexit means Chexit.

:lol:
  • Options
    I hope it's not a reprise of the one before the election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZCTystM-s0
  • Options

If so what do we think?

No Deal
    Resigning
    GE
    2nd Ref
    My favourite would be "nothing very much other than a lot of huffing and puffing about how rude the EU have been and a restatement of the Mayite position."
  • Options

If so what do we think?

No Deal
    Resigning
    GE
    2nd Ref
    Purely from a betting view, resignation would be good. We've not had much betting action of late.
  • Options

If so what do we think?

No Deal
    Resigning
    GE
    2nd Ref
    My favourite would be "nothing very much other than a lot of huffing and puffing about how rude the EU have been and a restatement of the Mayite position."
    Nothing has changed. Nothing has changed.
  • Options

Chexit means Chexit.

:lol:
    Exit Chequesit
This discussion has been closed.