Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Chequers is dead, so should

Comments

• Options
    Foxy said:

Floater said:

Oh my god panic!!!!!!

or not if you have more than half a brain cell
    Especially if you hold equities. FTSE 100 up over 1% and still rising after the statement.
    Yes, want assets not earning in Sterling at present.

The Brexiteers capacity for incompetence continues to be underestimated.
    As someone who hopes to be in possession of a fairly large amount of cash in the near future, I'm trying to work out how I want to position myself in the short term.
  • Options
    Floater said:

dixiedean said:

So it is no deal unless one side caves.
    No deal then.
    Orderly managed no deal or chaotic now becomes an urgent question.
    Tone and language need to be dialled down on both sides.

Less piss taking posts from EU heavy weights might be a start do you think?
    One European correspondent on WATO suggested European capitals have been a bit taken aback by the domestic reaction in the U.K. and did not intentionally set out to damage May - Tusk’s Instagram being a case in point - I don’t think Tusk relished his role yesterday but was conveying what he had been told by the 27.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Floater said:

dixiedean said:

No deal then.

Indeed. On both sides. Time is short, and the implications of Crash Brexit have not been explained or prepared for adequately, despite being debated ad nauseum on here. A chaotic exit will be bad for both sides, and will have unforeseen outcomes.
    The level of discourse does not suggest we are heading anywhere else.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited September 2018
    There must be a hundred and one issues still to be resolved for a WTO exit so let's focus on getting that pinned down and not waste more time on a half in the EU fudge.

Time for Olly Robins to show he is working to execute the result of the referendum.
  • Options
    Floater said:

What a pathetic spectacle we have become.

Why - time someone stood up to the EU cabal
    It isn't a EU cabal, it is 27 democratic countries who think, quite correctly, that the UK government is being an arse. We are the ones being difficult here. It is a national embarrassment that is descending to humiliation that makes Suez look like our finest hour
    Democratic, the EU? - you are having a laugh
    The member states are democracies and the EU is more democratic than its critics sometimes give it credit for - though not as democratic as it should be. That said, if it *was* as democratic as it should be, those same critics would rail against an elected European government as a grossly overly powerful infringement on Britain's sovereignty.
  • Options

Floater said:

dixiedean said:

No deal then.

One European correspondent on WATO suggested European capitals have been a bit taken aback by the domestic reaction in the U.K. and did not intentionally set out to damage May - Tusk’s Instagram being a case in point - I don’t think Tusk relished his role yesterday but was conveying what he had been told by the 27.
    Whether Tusk relished his role or not his cake tier stunt was puerile. Yesterday was not the day for making pathetic jokes.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2018
    I think I have just found a photo of TSE's iCrap collection...

• Options

Mr. Floater, a second referendum is a plausible possibility, I think.

We are in agreement Mr Dancer. Mr Floater says "It ain't gonna happen" in the same way I said the same about a Leave vote some many months ago. Events, dear boy, events.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Anorak said:
    Trump's position is no surprise.

I was more surprised that the serious party of women's rights sat on an allegation and pulled it out at a theatrical and politically motivated moment, rather than helping the woman seek justice as soon as possible.
    The allegation was 'sat on' for how many weeks after how many years?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

We are in agreement Mr Dancer. Mr Floater says "It ain't gonna happen" in the same way I said the same about a Leave vote some many months ago. Events, dear boy, events.
    I think a second referendum will become odds-on if the Labour party pick up this torch.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited September 2018
    Question for those more knowledgeable about Northern Ireland that I am (i.e. everyone):
    How would a referendum in NI on "staying in the CU to keep an open border" pan out? I understand there is a principle of territorial integrity here, but how would the residents of NI view it? Is there a Unionist/Republican theological/ideological divide here? Or are the public generally more pragmatic?

The travel and trade between both parts of the Island of Ireland must be an order of magnitude greater than between NI and the rest of the UK, which would imply that a harder border would be an order more inconvenient that a line down the Irish sea. (And that ignores the prospect of The Troubles returning, which will focus minds even more, surely).

May does seem to have a habit of painting herself into a corner every time she wants to appear tough...
  • Options

if you are smart enough to write top quality essays in a day, you surely can get a decent job and earn steady money

Not a complete answer, but...

There are quite a few smart, well-qualified people struggling to find decent work, particularly people who graduated about the time of the financial crisis. If you miss out on those graduate schemes you mentioned before, options can be limited. On the other hand, there are also people who actively prefer this kind of self-employment because for personal reasons (ill health, family commitments, lifestyle preference) they dislike the idea of 9-5.

It must be pretty widespread. I occasionally proofread / check the stats in dissertations etc, but that means people occasionally find me who just want a piece written for them. I always say no because that's really not my ethical bag, but interestingly the rates on offer are substantially less than what I can get on an hourly basis from doing other activities with a similar skill-set, which supports your point.
  • Options

Whether Tusk relished his role or not his cake tier stunt was puerile. Yesterday was not the day for making pathetic jokes.

I do agree with that. He also has an irritating tendency to make glib references to pop lyrics.

Juncker is a much better politician.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

if you are smart enough to write top quality essays in a day, you surely can get a decent job and earn steady money

There are quite a few smart, well-qualified people struggling to find decent work, particularly people who graduated about the time of the financial crisis. If you miss out on those graduate schemes you mentioned before, options can be limited. On the other hand, there are also people who actively prefer this kind of self-employment because for personal reasons (ill health, family commitments, lifestyle preference) they dislike the idea of 9-5.

It must be pretty widespread. I occasionally proofread / check the stats in dissertations etc, but that means people occasionally find me who just want a piece written for them. I always say no because that's really not my ethical bag, but interestingly the rates on offer are substantially less than what I can get on an hourly basis from doing other activities with a similar skill-set, which supports your point.
    I guess so, but as self employment goes, writing uni essays on a daily basis, man oh man that is a shit job and by the sounds of it it isn't even that well paid.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

What’s the big one in the middle? :o
  • Options

Floater said:

dixiedean said:

No deal then.

The EU politic simply do not understand the British pysche if they thought it would be different. This will push us to a hard Brexit more than the other way.

We don't like bullies, and we like fair play. The EU is failing on both, and just proves how right we were.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Anorak said:

I was more surprised that the serious party of women's rights sat on an allegation and pulled it out at a theatrical and politically motivated moment, rather than helping the woman seek justice as soon as possible.
    Fair.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited September 2018

Floater said:

Oh my god panic!!!!!!

Especially if you hold equities. FTSE 100 up over 1% and still rising after the statement.>

Markets anticipated May's statement - what else could she have said.

Shares up, the pound down.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TSE's new iPhone XS Max ;-)
  • Options

"You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on." Judging by the snap pb reaction, Theresa May has absorbed George W Bush's wise words.

Leavers are like Charlie Brown with Lucy and the football. No matter how many times they suffer a pratfall, they still keep being fooled by the same trick.

What makes you think she's not genuine?

Theresa May might be many things but dishonesty and duplicity aren't among them - not least because she doesn't have the shamelessness, self-deception or acting ability necessary to carry them off.

If anything, the problem is that others keep believing that she doesn't mean what she says and that it's just 'for show' and to appease others, before revealing her true hand later. They're wrong.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Anorak said:

It’s almost if the alleged victim is being used for political purposes :o... a scandalous suggestion, I know.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/JenniferMerode/status/1043127605153738752

Oh they'll be angry and frustrated will they? Good!
  • Options

RobD said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJezRcy2P8g
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

maaarsh said:

Anorak said:

It was sat on for 2 months. It's impossible to say how many years because the accuser does not recall when she thinks it happened.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited September 2018
    So Mays Brexit policy is broken and she is relying on the EU to get her out of it. It’s not a good look. She could be gone sooner than you think. He only question is what next.
  • Options

Floater said:

It isn't a EU cabal, it is 27 democratic countries who think, quite correctly, that the UK government is being an arse. We are the ones being difficult here. It is a national embarrassment that is descending to humiliation that makes Suez look like our finest hour
    The member states are democracies and the EU is more democratic than its critics sometimes give it credit for - though not as democratic as it should be. That said, if it *was* as democratic as it should be, those same critics would rail against an elected European government as a grossly overly powerful infringement on Britain's sovereignty.
    I think this is a very fair comment. I would add though that the critics are not necessarily being contradictory in this - it's actually a fairly strong argument against supranationalism (which is a fairer description of the EU's style at the moment than federalism) against, say, a system of inter-governmental agreement.
  • Options
    No surrender. We will never surrender.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Anorak said:

It was sat on for 2 months. It's impossible to say how many years because the accuser does not recall when she thinks it happened.
    Seriously? Where do they find these people.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    murali_s said:

I think a second referendum will become odds-on if the Labour party pick up this torch.
    As things stand there is no time.

Plus you do realise Jezzbollah and his cabal need us to leave to allow some of their plans for nationalisation right?
  • Options

"You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on." Judging by the snap pb reaction, Theresa May has absorbed George W Bush's wise words.

Leavers are like Charlie Brown with Lucy and the football. No matter how many times they suffer a pratfall, they still keep being fooled by the same trick.

Theresa May might be many things but dishonesty and duplicity aren't among them - not least because she doesn't have the shamelessness, self-deception or acting ability necessary to carry them off.

If anything, the problem is that others keep believing that she doesn't mean what she says and that it's just 'for show' and to appease others, before revealing her true hand later. They're wrong.
    We've already seen on numerous occasions that she's moveable. What we haven't yet seen is what the least line of resistance ends up being for her, because that's what she'll take.
  • Options
    RobD said:

iPhone plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus plus. S.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

So Mays Brexit policy is broken and she is relying on the EU to get her out of it. It’s not a good look. She good be gone sooner than you think. He only question is what next.

What's this bullsh*t about counter-proposal from the EU. We are the idiots leaving! LOL!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    I strongly support T.May as the best option to achieve a softish Brexit and thus minimise the damage caused by the decision to leave. However, I did not like the strident tone she adopted today - her anger showed through far too strongly and is only likely to provoke a hardening of attitudes. Today was a time for cool heads - not hot words.
  • Options

RobD said:

Still makes me chuckle. Little know fact, he went to the same school as Obama Bin Laden....
  • Options

Floater said:

By all measures it is very democratic. Like the sovereignty issue, it is another myth perpetrated on the gullible by the manipulative. It is considerably more democratic and accountable than the UK is. When I last looked the EU does not have a hereditary president or a House of Lords. It's officials are accountable to the democratically appointed heads of government through the Council of Ministers and its parliament is elected by PR. I would say that makes it about 2x as representative and accountable as the UK executive
  • Options

Floater said:

Can you think of any time the democratic EU might have interfered in any of those democratic nations politics and governance?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854

Especially if you hold equities. FTSE 100 up over 1% and still rising after the statement.

As you clearly don't understand how the stock market actually works, let's make it simple. When the pound falls, shares go up, when the pound goes up, shares fall. Might have something to do with the fact most of the FTSE 100 companies are valued in US dollars and sterling dropping a cent or two makes them more valuable.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited September 2018

I do agree with that. He also has an irritating tendency to make glib references to pop lyrics.

Juncker is a much better politician.
    Tusk being in the job is another David Cameron achievement:
    "By suggesting Tusk’s name for fellow EU leaders at the summit in Brussels on Saturday (30 August), Cameron hopes to influence the incoming federalist European commission president, Jean-Claude Juncker, with a candidate supporting a clear EU reform agenda.

Tusk has previously stated that he is not interested in stepping down as Poland’s prime minister. However, according to The Guardian, Cameron and Tusk discussed his candidacy and the summit over phone on Monday (25 August)."

https://www.euractiv.com/section/eu-elections-2014/news/cameron-to-support-tusk-for-council-president-at-eu-summit/
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Anorak said:

The woman requested and had a right to confidentiality.
  • Options

I guess so, but as self employment goes, writing uni essays on a daily basis, man oh man that is a shit job and by the sounds of it it isn't even that well paid.
    Depends on what your alternatives are I guess; there are certainly graduates working in the retail and food serving industries - even ones with postgrad STEM qualifications, but who had no sense of what to do with it commercially, no industry experience etc. Sad but true.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Her behaviour last year regarding the calling of an election rather contradicts much of that.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

So Mays Brexit policy is broken and she is relying on the EU to get her out of it. It’s not a good look. She could be gone sooner than you think. He only question is what next.

Mixed up sentences - worried she may just have hit the nail on the head today
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Jonathan said:

So Mays Brexit policy is broken and she is relying on the EU to get her out of it. It’s not a good look. She good be gone sooner than you think. He only question is what next.

What's this bullsh*t about counter-proposal from the EU. We are the idiots leaving! LOL!
    If you think a no deal Brexit has no negative consequences for the EU then you may be right. If it does have negative consequences it's worth them doing some thinking about how to move talks forward.
  • Options
    The pound dropped before May's statement.

The pound is actually higher than it was a week ago.
  • Options

I struggle to see how Mr D
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

Who’s worried, you or me?
  • Options

No surrender. We will never surrender.

We already have. We have surrendered to the idiot voices of nationalism that will take our country down a path of decline and irrelevance. It will probably take years but we will need an equivalent of Margaret Thatcher to put right the damage that the headbangers have done to her European legacy
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119

I've seen that performance somewhere before... um...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_84HM1e7RY

No comparison. Mrs T was too good a politician, too good a negotiator and too much of a patriot to have ever allowed us to get into this sorry and embarrassing state
    Under Mrs. T, the Irish Backstop would have correctly been stuffed where the sun don't shine in Brussels...
  • Options

RobD said:

Still makes me chuckle. Little know fact, he went to the same school as Obama Bin Laden....
    Obama or Osama?
  • Options

murali_s said:

Jonathan said:

If you think a no deal Brexit has no negative consequences for the EU then you may be right. If it does have negative consequences it's worth them doing some thinking about how to move talks forward.
    True, but it seems that the EU holds most of the cards.
    Brexit will hurt us more than it hurts them.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

Can you think of any time the democratic EU might have interfered in any of those democratic nations politics and governance?
    It has, but it less times than the sovereign nation known as the United Kingdom has in other countries.
  • Options

murali_s said:

Jonathan said:

Maybe but with every nasty divorce, one side (us) gets pummeled more than the other.

Leavers = thick (ugly) mofos!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Who’s worried, you or me?
    I am better today than I have been for a while - time the EU were called out after yesterdays performance
  • Options
    edited September 2018

RobD said:

Obama or Osama?
    Bloody iCrap auto correct..Osama.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854

It does seem embarrassing today of all days, and he still persists with the dishonesty of a peoples vote, rather than calling it a second referendum which it is

Calling it a "second referendum" is equally misleading. It's a referendum on the outcome of the A50 negotiation, not a re-run of either 2016 or 1975.

It won't happen because IF there is a deal, there is no binary question.

IF there is no deal, there is no provision to stop A50 or withdraw it. Two years plus one day after A50 is triggered, in the absence of any agreed Transitional Period, the UK will leave the European Union, simple.

After then, we can apply to join the EU if we wish but as a new member and on terms stipulated by the EU.

This is why the LD and REMAIN positions are so futile - all the wishing and wanting in the world won't stop A50. The best that can be achieved is a very long transition period or an A50 deal very close to existing membership (Non EU members can sign up to the SM and CU and indeed some have) aka BINO.

I don't doubt an extension of a few days or a week could be mutually agreed if agreement was close.
  • Options
    Good speech from May.

The picture in the thread header sure is powerful.
  • Options

RobD said:

Obama or Osama?
    Bloody iCrap auto correct..Osama.
    Has it been hacked by Trump Inc?
  • Options

murali_s said:

Jonathan said:

That's fair, it will benefit us more than it benefits them.
  • Options
    stodge said:

As you clearly don't understand how the stock market actually works, let's make it simple. When the pound falls, shares go up, when the pound goes up, shares fall. Might have something to do with the fact most of the FTSE 100 companies are valued in US dollars and sterling dropping a cent or two makes them more valuable.
    You can be as insulting and condescending as you like. Which bit of my statement about the FTSE 100 being up including since the statement is incorrect or shows I don't understand the stock market? I'm a pretty hefty investor in equities and have been for many years, incidentally.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Jonathan said:

Maybe but with every nasty divorce, one side (us) gets pummeled more than the other.

And I thought we were no longer ugly motherfuckers. Sad. :(
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Jonathan said:

The only thing ugly I see around here is your personality in your posts.
  • Options

murali_s said:

Jonathan said:

That's fair, it will benefit us more than it benefits them.
    haha. Your blind faith in your religeon is sort of sweet really
  • Options

Floater said:

Floater said:

It has, but it less times than the sovereign nation known as the United Kingdom has in other countries.
    We can vote our politicians out in case you forgot.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TGOHF said:

She also mentioned EU citizens can stay in event of no deal.

She didn't mention paying £39Bn.

I wonder if she has that novelty-sized cheque on standby?
    Chequesit.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Good speech from May.

As is the one where the idiotic Tusk offered her a cake tray with cakes and no cherries giggling like a juvenile
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Floater said:

dixiedean said:

No deal then.

The EU politic simply do not understand the British pysche if they thought it would be different. This will push us to a hard Brexit more than the other way.

We don't like bullies, and we like fair play. The EU is failing on both, and just proves how right we were.
    And the EU does not like being bullied by a nation which is as important to them as a fly on an elephants backside. And far from being taken aback, they were probably fed up with the Thatcher wannabe constantly trying to tell them what to do. Does TMay and her own party not realise that the other 27 countries have embassy's and consulates in London, each sending back reports, probably daily to their own governments, and the governments of the 27 are fully aware of what is happening in Westminster, the UK media and the sentiment on the streets. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they got a lot of their information from this site.
  • Options

RobD said:

Good speech from May.

As is the one where the idiotic Tusk offered her a cake tray with cakes and no cherries giggling like a juvenile
    Tittering like a schoolgirl, don’t you mean? :D
  • Options

May told the EU back in October 2017 that any attempt to solve the NI problem by keeping NI in the customs union would be unacceptable. She has never varied from that position. Since Barnier's plan was exactly that, he was wasting his own time proposing it.

Unfortunately by agreeing the principle of the backstop in December May has made herself a hostage to this issue.
  • Options
    Floater said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Jonathan said:

Oh dear! You don't like my posts - just ignore me.

Our country is on the edge of a precipice having made a monumental error and all you can do is talk about my personality. Jeez!
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Floater said:

dixiedean said:

No deal then.

And the EU does not like being bullied by a nation which is as important to them as a fly on an elephants backside. And far from being taken aback, they were probably fed up with the Thatcher wannabe constantly trying to tell them what to do. Does TMay and her own party not realise that the other 27 countries have embassy's and consulates in London, each sending back reports, probably daily to their own governments, and the governments of the 27 are fully aware of what is happening in Westminster, the UK media and the sentiment on the streets. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they got a lot of their information from this site.
    If we are a fly on the arse that is the EU, what is Scotland?

*innocent face*
  • Options
    As for this peoples vote.

Where were our votes about open door immigration and getting tied to the EU?

These so called democrats basically shouting fuck democracy when I disagree with the result.
  • Options
    What a f888king hypocrite and cretin that man is. "The EU bullies"!! FFS. It isn't the dormitory at Eton Jacob, and it wasn't the 27 sovereign nations that started all this crap.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Good speech from May.

Tittering like a schoolgirl, don’t you mean? :D
    Yes quite right
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Jonathan said:

Whereas your beauty is there for all to see in your avatar.

And your lack of intelligence is there for all to see in every post you make.

Quite the poster boy for Remain.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    murali_s said:

Floater said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Jonathan said:

Our country is on the edge of a precipice having made a monumental error and all you can do is talk about my personality. Jeez!
    Try to be less obnoxious.

You might surprise yourself.
  • Options

May told the EU back in October 2017 that any attempt to solve the NI problem by keeping NI in the customs union would be unacceptable. She has never varied from that position. Since Barnier's plan was exactly that, he was wasting his own time proposing it.

Unfortunately by agreeing the principle of the backstop in December May has made herself a hostage to this issue.
    At least you won’t have to worry about May agreeing to a customs border in the Irish Sea. :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

At least you won’t have to worry about May agreeing to a customs border in the Irish Sea. :p
    That is key, because the moment she does, CETA can never happen. And it is becoming pretty obvious that CETA is the only way out of this situation, one way or another.
  • Options
    Moggster says

"Salzburg was a failure even though European leaders had been briefed about Chequers before it was agreed by the Cabinet. It indicates that the EU is not acting in good faith."

I had forgot that.

She did indeed share it with Merkel at least.
  • Options
    Floater said:

These so called democrats basically shouting fuck democracy when I disagree with the result.

Not really - when the outcome of the referendum was based on a pack of lies then yes, we need to be open to all options including a second referendum/peoples' vote.
  • Options

Floater said:

I think this is a very fair comment. I would add though that the critics are not necessarily being contradictory in this - it's actually a fairly strong argument against supranationalism (which is a fairer description of the EU's style at the moment than federalism) against, say, a system of inter-governmental agreement.
    Yes, I agree with that, and the dilemma over how to engage with a European project that isn't what many instinctive internationalists would like it to be, but which is the only one meaningfully on offer, has been the problem from the start.
  • Options

Anyone seen Tusk and TSE in the same room?
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679

Mr. Foremain, we're being difficult by not wanting to surrender part of our territory to the EU's customs regulation?

If they want the Isle of Wight too is that ok? Scotland? London? Just how much of the UK do you think the EU should be allowed to demand for its customs union?

The difficulty is that the majority of some of those places may prefer being part of the EU than the UK. It's one of the reasons a purely majority based referendum was such a bad idea; almost all other countries need 2/3rds for major constitutional changes, because it is sometimes difficult to reconcile those who have lost. If we had voted leave 68/32 I do not think the vast majority of Remain voters would be willing to campaign again; we would accept the "will of the people". But a 52/48 split is obviously not a consensus, especially when within that 52% people had wildly different views about what they were voting for. If a 52/48 ref meant the UK had more of a leg to stand on to hold another ref 4 years down the line, again, I wouldn't have said no as a Remainer. I would have feared losing, but it would have felt more in line with norms for such revolutionary acts.

That's why we have what we have now. No attempt at building unity; when you know 48% of the country didn't want this binary option, you should at least try to incorporate some sort of halfway measure for them specifically to sign up to. (I partly blame FPTP for this, because as a culture we feel it acceptable to hand large majorities to political parties that earn ~35-40% of the vote without them really having to compromise at any time; unlike our European counterparts who, for all their faults and the fact people are falling out of love with coalitions, understand that politics is all about meeting half way).

Brexit will always be untenable, not because it is impossible to leave the EU, but because instead of a serious conversation about what leaving should look like and what will be done to bring the entire country along with the project, those opposed were deemed Remoaners, traitors and frustrators of democracy. Will there always be ~15-25% of the population who would have never backed leaving, no matter what? Sure. But another ~25-35% were there to be brought on board, and it was never attempted. Tory Party unity was more important than the nation.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Floater said:

Not really - when the outcome of the referendum was based on a pack of lies then yes, we need to be open to all options including a second referendum/peoples' vote.
    Yes, whatever did happen to that promised recession?
  • Options
    Can somebody enlighten me. In the event of a no-deal, no backstop outcome, presumably it's the EU who'll be insisting that there's a border? I mean, couldn't we just say the Good Friday Agreement means that we have to keep an open border with the republic, so if you, EU, want a border, it's up to you to erect it. (Although I can't imagine that hard-line Brexiteers want an open border, might have all those Johnny Foreigners sneaking in and getting the ferry from Belfast).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,591

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Oh my god panic!!!!!!

Yes, want assets not earning in Sterling at present.

The Brexiteers capacity for incompetence continues to be underestimated.
    As someone who hopes to be in possession of a fairly large amount of cash in the near future, I'm trying to work out how I want to position myself in the short term.
    Assuming the Austen quote is inoperative, overseas would probably be the answer.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,838
    murali_s said:

Floater said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Jonathan said:

You can dish it out, but you can't take it.
  • Options
    Rees Mogg still does not understand what a No Deal Brexit is, bless him. It's what happens if the UK does not pay the money the EU believes it is owed. And, among other things, it does mean no planes landing or taking off.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    murali_s said:

Floater said:

You may think it was based on a pack of lies, for the areas I know it was more a "fluff you" to the powers that be....

Brexit came from the same haven'ts as Trump....
  • Options
    RobD said:

murali_s said:

Floater said:

Yes, whatever did happen to that promised recession?
    Brexit hasn't happened yet!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,591
    edited September 2018

I do agree with that. He also has an irritating tendency to make glib references to pop lyrics.....
    Has he ever been seen on live TV at the same time as TSE is posting... ?

(edit) I see I'm not the first to have asked the question, but there is further evidence:
    "Tusk being in the job is another David Cameron achievement..."
  • Options

Floater said:

By all measures it is very democratic. Like the sovereignty issue, it is another myth perpetrated on the gullible by the manipulative. It is considerably more democratic and accountable than the UK is. When I last looked the EU does not have a hereditary president or a House of Lords. It's officials are accountable to the democratically appointed heads of government through the Council of Ministers and its parliament is elected by PR. I would say that makes it about 2x as representative and accountable as the UK executive
    Oh, nonsense. Britain's head of state has practically no political power and the Lords has little.

The EU commission is appointed and wields great power. Some of that is genuine civil servant stuff, and that's fair enough, but the College of Commissioners does a great deal more than administer and in any other equivalent political system would be fully accountable to the parliament (i.e. could be directly removed on a VoNC) and probably selected from and elected by it, consistent with majority support within the parliament.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

Can somebody enlighten me. In the event of a no-deal, no backstop outcome, presumably it's the EU who'll be insisting that there's a border? I mean, couldn't we just say the Good Friday Agreement means that we have to keep an open border with the republic, so if you, EU, want a border, it's up to you to erect it. (Although I can't imagine that hard-line Brexiteers want an open border, might have all those Johnny Foreigners sneaking in and getting the ferry from Belfast).

Notable that TM said she would *guarantee* EU citizens rights, and *try* to avoid a hard NI border today - first confession I've heard that a hard border may be unavoidable.

Was I the only person who thought that "the quiet woman is here to stay and she's turning up the volume" today? Not sure that the time-honoured convention of getting through to Europeans by talking slower and louder is really going to do the trick.
  • Options

The UK would have to treat Ireland as it does any other country. So either some border or no tariffs all round.
  • Options
    eek said:

murali_s said:

Floater said:

You may think it was based on a pack of lies, for the areas I know it was more a "fluff you" to the powers that be....

Brexit came from the same haven'ts as Trump....
    Yes and you think that's a good thing?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

murali_s said:

Floater said:

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Jonathan said:

If you think a no deal Brexit has no negative consequences feeor the EU then you may be right. If it does have negative consequences it's worth them doing some thinking about how to move talks forward.

You can dish it out, but you can't take it.
    Is “unspoofable” appropriate at this moment? :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.