Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay ends the week extending her satisfaction margin over Corb

Comments

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828

Even I dont, but we live in the now and she has grabbed the headlines and stood upto the EU

Quinton Letts just tweeted that a rock solid remainer has just said that is it, I want out.

Wonder how many more

Just because a lot of people say something only makes it popular, not right.

24 hours of anti-EU hysteria in the media will have an impact but when people actually sit down and think about what has happened and what may well happen their euphoria may well crack round the edges.

Last week we were being told a "No Deal" exit would mean house price falls and you came on here after Carney's pronouncements and said the idea of a "No Deal" was finished.

A few days later and you seem to be clamouring for it.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    rpjs said:

The $64,000 question is whether and if so what the Mueller team have shared with the state AGs’ offices, primarily NY and VA. Trump can’t stop a state investigation or pardon himself if convicted by a state court. Probably a state court can’t indict or try a sitting POTUS, but the state offices could disclose eniugh evidence to make successful impeachment a certainty.

Impeachment is only going to happen if the evidence is utterly damning, as it will almost certainly require GOP support in the Senate, it's been about 50 years since one party had enough clout on their own. If the the Special Counsel is terminated early that might not happen.

Relying on the States collering Trump at a later date is not a good plan given how much damage he can do in the meantime.
  • Options
    felix said:

Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

kle4 said:

May cannot even contemplate compromising further for a deal unless the EU give us something in return - even an uneven exchange in their favour can possibly be sold, maybe, but if they don't give anything back then I don't think it matters how cliff edge things are, the numbers won't be there - Labour won't back it, and not enough Tories will as there are enough who support a cliff edge approach.

So the question is what can the EU budge on so that we can budge even more on something else? How it could occur I don't know, but the EU backing down a bit on Ireland could make it work? Yes May would still look bloody silly accepting full customs union or whatever the option would be, given she has trashed that idea too, but it seems easier to get people to accept than the EU's Irish option.

Looking and sounding angry with the EU goes down well with the Conservative vote (as I'm sure she knows) but there will come a point when the road will run out and, as you say, whatever ground the EU gives, the UK will have to go further than May might like and that will be when she has to take the risk - her interest against the country's interests ? It shouldn't be a question at all of course.

I expect that May will now get her own "flounce bounce" before reality strikes again.
    True , similar to the Cameron veto , a few years ago.
    Which hardly anyone can remember now.
    Even I dont, but we live in the now and she has grabbed the headlines and stood upto the EU

Quinton Letts just tweeted that a rock solid remainer has just said that is it, I want out.

Wonder how many more
    I think you are getting carried away. I was unimpressed today - she came across as petulant and playing to the gallery - Her task is hard and I wish her every success - if such a word means anything in the context of Brexit. I'd have preferred her to rise above it and be more stateswoman like. I believe any bounce will be very limited.
    The speech has been well received and made her party conference much easier.

If she pulls this off the bounce will be considerable, especially as there is no functioning labout party. Cnannel 4 tweeted that labour could not put up a spokesperson presumably as they have no idea how to react
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Foxy said:

stodge said:

kle4 said:

So the question is what can the EU budge on so that we can budge even more on something else? How it could occur I don't know, but the EU backing down a bit on Ireland could make it work? Yes May would still look bloody silly accepting full customs union or whatever the option would be, given she has trashed that idea too, but it seems easier to get people to accept than the EU's Irish option.

It shouldn't be a question at all of course.

I expect that May will now get her own "flounce bounce" before reality strikes again.
    She didn’t get much of a bounce from her hysterical speech accusing the EU of interfering in the election.
    Something has changed in the last 24 hours.

The whole dynamic has shifted as the EU get a canning in the UK from the media and press.

The men in suits (apart from 3 women) really have provided a sorry spectacle to the Country and in trying to be clever and ever so childish will have recruited anti EU sentiment more than anything Farage could have done

It is an entirely self administered mistake by them
    I don't think so.

Chequers was strangled at birth due to the way Davis and Johnson walked and the way the PCP rejected it. Realistically why would the EU accept an offer that was built on sand? It is not logical for anybody to accept something that does not have the support at home to be implemented.

The problem for May and now the UK has been the way in recent weeks she has portrayed herself as a tough negotiator and the bloody difficult woman mantra. She has feet of clay politically, behind the rhetoric is bluster. If this were a game of poker she has been called and has nothing to show. Since she called that GE in 2017, with the tacit support of Brexiteers she has screwed up any chance of any positive deal. We are all going to suffer due to this stupid woman and I personally am unwilling to accept quietly the fall in my standard of living for something I never supported.

It is game over for PM May.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Foxy said:

stodge said:

kle4 said:

May cannot even contemplate compromising further for a deal unless the EU give us something in return - even an uneven exchange in their favour can possibly be sold, maybe, but if they don't give anything back then I don't think it matters how cliff edge things are, the numbers won't be there - Labour won't back it, and not enough Tories will as there are enough who support a cliff edge approach.

It takes two to tango and no one is suggesting May runs up the white flag but the attitude and tone adopted at Salzburg, while it may work well with the British public, clearly wasn't going to wash with the EU.

Sometimes politicians have to do things which while not in their best political interests are in the best interests of the country as a whole - that's leadership. This is where I part company with the adherents of May. She seems obsessed with her popularity and image - everything she has done since July 2016 has been around her popularity and the maintenance of her good self in office.

Looking and sounding angry with the EU goes down well with the Conservative vote (as I'm sure she knows) but there will come a point when the road will run out and, as you say, whatever ground the EU gives, the UK will have to go further than May might like and that will be when she has to take the risk - her interest against the country's interests ? It shouldn't be a question at all of course.

She didn’t get much of a bounce from her hysterical speech accusing the EU of interfering in the election.
    Because the EU would never interfere in the affairs of a sovereign nation, right?

oh wait.... yes they did, more than once in fact.
  • Options
    Felix, May absolutely did rise above it today. She gave guarantees to EU citizens already here and made it crystal cleat that she wants a deal with the EU, despite their humiliating her and their pathetic jokes. She also reiterated her red lines. What do you think she should have said today?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Wonder how many more

24 hours of anti-EU hysteria in the media will have an impact but when people actually sit down and think about what has happened and what may well happen their euphoria may well crack round the edges.

Last week we were being told a "No Deal" exit would mean house price falls and you came on here after Carney's pronouncements and said the idea of a "No Deal" was finished.

I have changed - yesterday infuriated both my wife and myself and we both agreed that we want out. Actually this has been mirrored in my whatts ap family and friends group.

I still want TM to do a deal but if not out we go

And by the way I never referred to house price falls, they do not concern me as I own my home and do not intend leaving
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

Do you think the electorate will notice anything Corbyn has to say about Brexit this next week?

Depends what he says. Tactically he can seize the initiative if he wants to by pledging to vote for a referendum, but strategically he may still be better off playing it long and risk disappointing people at the conference. It's so much easier to oppose a concrete deal than oppose any deal in advance.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Wonder how many more

Whilst you are about stodge please can you lecture me as to why the FTSE All Share is up 1.4% today? I assume it's all about the falling pound and foreign earnings, no?
  • Options

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

kle4 said:

Wonder how many more
    I think you are getting carried away. I was unimpressed today - she came across as petulant and playing to the gallery - Her task is hard and I wish her every success - if such a word means anything in the context of Brexit. I'd have preferred her to rise above it and be more stateswoman like. I believe any bounce will be very limited.

If she pulls this off the bounce will be considerable, especially as there is no functioning labout party. Cnannel 4 tweeted that labour could not put up a spokesperson presumably as they have no idea how to react
    In politics it is sometimes better to say nothing and let your opponents incompetence and ineffectiveness be exposed. Today was not a good day for PM May. A few words were said that will be forgotten within a few hours. The fundamental problem is as acute tomorrow as it was yesterday. May and her vacuous rhetoric don't cut the mustard. It is game over for May.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

kle4 said:

Wonder how many more

To be fair , Keir Starker and Stephen Kinnock were on BBC news , this afternoon .
    Both were reacting to the speech .
  • Options

Do you think the electorate will notice anything Corbyn has to say about Brexit this next week?

Depends what he says. Tactically he can seize the initiative if he wants to by pledging to vote for a referendum, but strategically he may still be better off playing it long and risk disappointing people at the conference. It's so much easier to oppose a concrete deal than oppose any deal in advance.
    What do you think he should do?
  • Options

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

kle4 said:

May cannot even contemplate compromising

Wonder how many more

In politics it is sometimes better to say nothing and let your opponents incompetence and ineffectiveness be exposed. Today was not a good day for PM May. A few words were said that will be forgotten within a few hours. The fundamental problem is as acute tomorrow as it was yesterday. May and her vacuous rhetoric don't cut the mustard. It is game over for May.
    Wishful thinking - maybe she upset you by standing up for the UK but she is as secure today as she has been in a long time
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

kle4 said:

Wonder how many more

I'm not sure how much it has been well received other than by the ultras in the Tory party and a few flag wavers here and there. Any bounce will only be sustained if palpable progress is made and there is little sign of that. The eventual fudge will please me but the nation and the Tory party - not so sure.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

kle4 said:

Wonder how many more

To be fair , Keir Starker and Stephen Kinnock were on BBC news , this afternoon .
    Both were reacting to the speech .
    Starmer maybe .
  • Options

Felix, May absolutely did rise above it today. She gave guarantees to EU citizens already here and made it crystal cleat that she wants a deal with the EU, despite their humiliating her and their pathetic jokes. She also reiterated her red lines. What do you think she should have said today?

Her resignation might have been a start.

The EU have called her bluff. They don't take her seriously. She says she is a good negotiator but anyone can say that, they are hollow words. She buckles at every turn. Pathetic.
  • Options

I applaud the guarantee to EU citizens - although I'm unclear about how the 2/3 m of us living in the UK will benefit from that. For the rest I found her tone strident and combative - I'd have preferred calmer rhetoric all round. Yes she has been provoked but she should have risen above it. She didn't.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2018
    Google Workers Discussed Tweaking Search Function to Counter Travel Ban

Days after the Trump administration instituted a controversial travel ban in January 2017, Google employees discussed ways they might be able to tweak the company’s search-related functions to show users how to contribute to pro-immigration organizations and contact lawmakers and government agencies, according to internal company emails.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-workers-discussed-tweaking-search-function-to-counter-travel-ban-1537488472

I am sure Donald won't ever mention this....
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828

Wishful thinking - maybe she upset you by standing up for the UK but she is as secure today as she has been in a long time

Well, that's nice - I can go to bed safe in the knowledge Theresa May is secure and will have a nice Party Conference.

I can also be assured the country is apparently clamouring for a "No Deal" Brexit as we are all apparently fed up with those nasty Europeans picking on poor Theresa and her incredibly generous offering called Chequers (a cake with plenty of cherries on it).

This is the "No Deal" Brexit we were told was off the table last week when Mark carney told us what the consequences would be ut none of us care any more, apparently ?
  • Options

stodge said:

Wonder how many more

Whilst you are about stodge please can you lecture me as to why the FTSE All Share is up 1.4% today? I assume it's all about the falling pound and foreign earnings, no?
    In a word the FTSE rise is totally down to the crashing £.
  • Options
    felix said:

I applaud the guarantee to EU citizens - although I'm unclear about how the 2/3 m of us living in the UK will benefit from that. For the rest I found her tone strident and combative - I'd have preferred calmer rhetoric all round. Yes she has been provoked but she should have risen above it. She didn't.
    Calmer rhetoric is all very well, but that's all tone. But what do you think she should have said that was different to what she did say?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Well, that's nice - I can go to bed safe in the knowledge Theresa May is secure and will have a nice Party Conference.

I can also be assured the country is apparently clamouring for a "No Deal" Brexit as we are all apparently fed up with those nasty Europeans picking on poor Theresa and her incredibly generous offering called Chequers (a cake with plenty of cherries on it).

This is the "No Deal" Brexit we were told was off the table last week when Mark carney told us what the consequences would be ut none of us care any more, apparently ?
    I have answered your last sentence. I back TM for a deal but if not then no deal it is
  • Options
    stodge said:

Basically none of them could organise a piss up in a brewery! IF IT WAS NOT SO SERIOUS - IT WOULD MAKE A GREAT MUSIC HALL FARCE. It is completely beyond parody.
  • Options
    felix said:

stodge said:

Wonder how many more

The All Share? Really? How many companies in the All Share Index have substantial foreign earnings?
  • Options

felix said:

Calmer rhetoric is all very well, but that's all tone. But what do you think she should have said that was different to what she did say?
    I think the tone is very important and she got it wrong. As for what she said - the bluffing about 'no deal' fools no-one and if she means it is dangerously reckless. May has a very difficult hand in the negotiations - it's a 'lose a lot or not so much' scenario at best. She was playing to the party today but it's the nation's future that should be at the forefront of everything.
  • Options
    Wowzers...

Italian rider Romano Fenati has been banned for the rest of the year after pulling a rival's brake lever while travelling at 135mph during a race.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/45607222
  • Options

felix said:

stodge said:

Wonder how many more

The All Share? Really? How many companies in the All Share Index have substantial foreign earnings?
    I'm referring to the FTSE 100.
  • Options

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

kle4 said:

Wonder how many more

She was not standing up for the country as it was "her deal" she was standing up for. This is all about PM May. The deal can wait for new leadership. She is a busted flush. She could not negotiate her way out of a paper bag. I am sorry for the country that we are so poorly represented by May, she is diabolical.
  • Options

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

kle4 said:

Wonder how many more

She was not standing up for the country as it was "her deal" she was standing up for. This is all about PM May. The deal can wait for new leadership. She is a busted flush. She could not negotiate her way out of a paper bag. I am sorry for the country that we are so poorly represented by May, she is diabolical.
    The polls and her ratings are ahead of any of the alternatives
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

stodge said:

Wonder how many more

Then you replied to my post without reading it properly.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    glw said:

nunuone said:
    This story looks like very bad news, primarily intended to give Trump and the GOP cause to fire Rosenstein (who has already rejected the article as misleading) and in turn fire/neuter the Special Counsel.

I have absolutely no doubt that Trump is personally up to his neck in it, the only thing that would convince me otherwise would be Mueller clearing Trump, but if he fires him I'm going to take it as red that essentially all the allegations against Trump are true, whether they originated with the FBI/CIA investigation, or the later Steele dossier.
    The story is complete kack, as it seems almost entirely based on anonymous sources who are reporting a conversation they didn’t even witness - so third hand anonymous sources.
    https://www.emptywheel.net/2018/09/21/nyt-gives-trump-his-excuse-to-fire-rod-rosenstein/

The NYT’s reporting standards have been piss poor.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

felix said:

stodge said:

Wonder how many more

The FTSE 100 is about 80% by market cap of the All Share, so it comes to the same thing.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    felix said:

stodge said:

Wonder how many more

*Pedant mode ON*

That's nine words and one symbol.

*Pedant mode OFF*
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    felix said:

I think the tone is very important and she got it wrong. As for what she said - the bluffing about 'no deal' fools no-one and if she means it is dangerously reckless. May has a very difficult hand in the negotiations - it's a 'lose a lot or not so much' scenario at best. She was playing to the party today but it's the nation's future that should be at the forefront of everything.

She's a tactician, and rarely seems to look more than a week ahead - perhaps she feels she can't afford to. Her next job is to get through the party conference, and belligerence will be helpful there. After the conference, I suspect we'll see her in ameliorative mode, because her next task will be to talk to the EU again. Big G and all the rest of us would be best advised not to take any of it at face value - let's see what the result is.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

stodge said:

Wonder how many more

*Pedant mode ON*

*Pedant mode OFF*
    Eight words, a symbol and an acronym, shirley?
  • Options

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

kle4 said:

Wonder how many more

In a poll between her as PM and Corbyn as PM, May would get my support. That is just a poll and I have responded to a YouGov in this vain in the past week. Things have changed, her strategy is ineffective and her bluff has been called.

Opinion polls will not keep Tory backbench MPs at bay. They are poised to pounce on her. Her negotiating hand is broken beyond repair. This is a terrible mess and still we have Brexiteers saying we should just walk away and the economic damage does not matter.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

stodge said:

Wonder how many more

*Pedant mode ON*

*Pedant mode OFF*
    Eight words, a symbol and an acronym, shirley?
    Are you playing footsie with my pedant mode, Ishmael?
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

stodge said:

Wonder how many more

The all share contains substantial numbers of companies which earn in dollars. But yes you are correct I didn't read it properly. Hope that cheers you up.
  • Options
    While the media have been going big on Kavanaugh story, I hope nobody has money on Keith Ellison for any senior positions of power...the allegations against him appear to be have lots of legs.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

stodge said:

Wonder how many more

*Pedant mode ON*

*Pedant mode OFF*
    You forgot the full stop!
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

stodge said:

Wonder how many more

The all share contains substantial numbers of companies which earn in dollars. But yes you are correct I didn't read it properly. Hope that cheers you up.
    Thanks. Actually I'm cheerful enough tonight. Happy with the PM's statement, a nice Rioja with dinner. the wife asleep on the sofa whilst I enjoy PB and a certain victory for Hull City away to Reading tomorrow. What more could a man want?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929
    Completely off topic but an American women has broken the record for cycling quickly - she did 183.9 miles per hour! It involves being towed behind a dragster until they reach 100 mph - she then draughts behind the car until she reaches top speed which she keeps up for one mile. Awesome!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532
    felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

stodge said:

Wonder how many more

Eyeballing the risers in the All share does show mostly miners and other Forex earners, while the fallers include housebuilders, retailers and airlines.

Looks like hedging in Sterling depreciation and lack of belief in the domestic market to me, my portfolio certainly moved that way. I have moved to that position myself over the summer, albeit a fair bit in cash for bargain hunting later.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

Very interesting thread which is ominous for May.
    https://twitter.com/timothy_stanley/status/1043205358372761601?s=21

Looks like you will have to give up your idea that she has a secret plan for a second referendum to reverse Brexit as PM
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

kle4 said:

Wonder how many more

In a poll between her as PM and Corbyn as PM, May would get my support. That is just a poll and I have responded to a YouGov in this vain in the past week. Things have changed, her strategy is ineffective and her bluff has been called.

Opinion polls will not keep Tory backbench MPs at bay. They are poised to pounce on her. Her negotiating hand is broken beyond repair. This is a terrible mess and still we have Brexiteers saying we should just walk away and the economic damage does not matter.
    Tory MPs poised to depose TMay? Haven't we heard that somewhere before... like just about every day since the GE? I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    felix said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

stodge said:

Wonder how many more

*Pedant mode ON*

*Pedant mode OFF*
    You forgot the full stop!
    You don't bother with those for stage actions surrounded by stars.

*Exit, pursued by a bear*
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited September 2018

felix said:

She's a tactician, and rarely seems to look more than a week ahead - perhaps she feels she can't afford to. Her next job is to get through the party conference, and belligerence will be helpful there. After the conference, I suspect we'll see her in ameliorative mode, because her next task will be to talk to the EU again. Big G and all the rest of us would be best advised not to take any of it at face value - let's see what the result is.
    Most likely it will be a stay in the single market and customs union transition deal and try and negotiate a FTA in the transition. She can save face by saying Chequers will be the basis of the FTA negotiations.

If May does not accept the above and risks No Deal the Tory Party will likely do it for her and oust her and put David Davis in by coronation to get the Withdrawal Agreement and Transition Period and start negotiations on a Canada style FTA in the transition with Chequers firmly dumped in the bin.
  • Options
    slade said:

Completely off topic but an American women has broken the record for cycling quickly - she did 183.9 miles per hour! It involves being towed behind a dragster until they reach 100 mph - she then draughts behind the car until she reaches top speed which she keeps up for one mile. Awesome!

If we want to stay off topic, what the fuck does Keaton Jennings actually have to do to get dropped?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

slade said:

If we want to stay off topic, what the fuck does Keaton Jennings actually have to do to get dropped?
    I would literally pick anybody else....he looks totally clueless against test level bowlers.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

slade said:

I would literally pick anybody else....he looks totally clueless against test level bowlers.
    Jennings is struggling. I think the selectors should have persevered with Adam Lyth a few years back.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

slade said:

Jennings is struggling. I think the selectors should have persevered with Adam Lyth a few years back.
    Well Denly and Burns are reasonable picks. But surely it would be better to start completely afresh with them and see what happens?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

stodge said:

Wonder how many more

I have changed - yesterday infuriated both my wife and myself and we both agreed that we want out. Actually this has been mirrored in my whatts ap family and friends group.

I still want TM to do a deal but if not out we go

And by the way I never referred to house price falls, they do not concern me as I own my home and do not intend leaving
    How does resurrecting the "Up Yours, Delors" mentality actually help in practical term? It might make some people feel better to beat their chests and sing Rule Britannia but we are still in a worse mess than we were even 2 two days ago.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

slade said:

He was technically flawed. The best technical opener that has been selected in recent years is Hameed, but man oh man his form since breaking his finger has gone downhill quicker than Jezza's standing in the Jewish community.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

slade said:

Well Denly and Burns are reasonable picks. But surely it would be better to start completely afresh with them and see what happens?
    I am not sure picking an untried 32 year old is a good pick. If you are going to pick a 30+ player you might as well just pick Bell as you know what you get.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

slade said:

I am not sure picking an untried 32 year old is a good pick. If you are going to pick a 30+ player you might as well just pick Bell as you know what you get.
    He's an experienced cricketer with a good record this season. I don't expect him to be a latter day Gordon Greenidge or Len Hutton, but I don't think there's any reason to believe he will let England down.

And pretty well all other options have been tried and failed. Joe Clarke may be a prospect, but if as is rumoured he is off to Notts we can expect three dud seasons from him.
  • Options
    The front pages tomorrow are good for TM but the Sun is a classic

Check it out on twitter
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

slade said:

He's an experienced cricketer with a good record this season. I don't expect him to be a latter day Gordon Greenidge or Len Hutton, but I don't think there's any reason to believe he will let England down.

And pretty well all other options have been tried and failed. Joe Clarke may be a prospect, but if as is rumoured he is off to Notts we can expect three dud seasons from him.
    I wish they would have just picked talented youngster and put them in and see what happens. Curran brothers have shown that they might not be world beaters, but they certainly as good as what we already have.

England really need to look to the future quickly as Cook has gone and Anderson / Broad aren't going to last much longer.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

slade said:

His place appears to be as firmly fixed as his feet are when batting.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

slade said:

And that is as hard to understand as his hands are while fielding?
  • Options
    Not sure Lyth was technically flawed. After a ton against New Zealand he batted against a good Aussie attack and seemed to attract a lot of very good deliveries. I've seen him a lot in the last few years and would back him against any of the openers England have tried since, including Hameed. War of the Roses and all that.

For Sri Lanka Burns has earned his place. I'd like to see Gubbins given a chance.

On early inspection the PM will probably be happy with the front pages I've seen this far.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Not sure Lyth was technically flawed. After a ton against New Zealand he batted against a good Aussie attack and seemed to attract a lot of very good deliveries. I've seen him a lot in the last few years and would back him against any of the openers England have tried since, including Hameed. War of the Roses and all that.

For Sri Lanka Burns has earned his place. I'd like to see Gubbins given a chance.

On early inspection the PM will probably be happy with the front pages I've seen this far.

He had a technical fault that led to him to play at balls he could leave. That is why he was dropped.
  • Options

Nick Gubbins, averaging 31 with one hundred in the second division? Admittedly he plays for a Middlesex side that seem to be making a determined bid for minor county status. Denly has three and averaged 36. Or Miles Hammond, who scored two centuries and also averaged 36, if you want youth.

I think he other concern they have with Cook retiring is a lack of experience in the batting line up. Denly, Ali and Burns are all county captains de facto or de jure.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

slade said:

I actually like Jennings - the kid is not without character - but test opener he is not.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

slade said:

I actually like Jennings - the kid is not without character - but test opener he is not.

To quote my Jeeves, 'I am saying nothing against his moral character, sir.'
  • Options

He had a technical fault that led to him to play at balls he could leave. That is why he was dropped.
    Think we'll have to agree to disagree on Lyth. You could say Cook also played at an awful lot of balls he could have left, especially in the last 2 or 3 years. Notwithstanding his great career, and his last test, he would have struggled to keep his place in the last 2 years had there been much competition for his place.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on Lyth. You could say Cook also played at an awful lot of balls he could have left, especially in the last 2 or 3 years. Notwithstanding his great career, and his last test, he would have struggled to keep his place in the last 2 years had there been much competition for his place.
    Cook of the past 2 years is a sad reflection on the Cook of early career.
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Its all a massive smear setup by MI5 / the deep state....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nick Gubbins, averaging 31 with one hundred in the second division? Admittedly he plays for a Middlesex side that seem to be making a determined bid for minor county status. Denly has three and averaged 36. Or Miles Hammond, who scored two centuries and also averaged 36, if you want youth.

I think he other concern they have with Cook retiring is a lack of experience in the batting line up. Denly, Ali and Burns are all county captains de facto or de jure.
    Oh I agree Gubbins has not had a great season. However, whilst runs scored is the currency he looks to me to be a good player, and certainly better than Jennings. In fact, I'd rather select Stoneman again than Jennings and let him open with Burns. At least they bat together regularly.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Floater said:
    I think we have our new England opener!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

slade said:

To quote my Jeeves, 'I am saying nothing against his moral character, sir.'
    Harsh, but fair.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

felix said:

stodge said:

Wonder how many more

It’s market cap weighted
  • Options
    I think Mrs May will prefer tomorrow's front pages:

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1043246540469534720
  • Options
    The dearth of good English/Welsh opening batsmen is worrying. I'm old enough to remember Alan Jones, Hugh Morris, Steve James, Alan Butcher, Richard Lumb, Ashley Metcalfe and doubtless others all of which would have been automatic selections nowadays. I doubt they got half a dozen caps between them. There were a few good players ahead of them mind.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:
    Its all a massive smear setup by MI5 / the deep state....
    Its ok - they have a plan for a peoples militia to take on the State .....

• Options
    Charles said:

felix said:

stodge said:

Wonder how many more

It’s market cap weighted
    Yes I know. It's only 1 in 6 companies though.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

The dearth of good English/Welsh opening batsmen is worrying. I'm old enough to remember Alan Jones, Hugh Morris, Steve James, Alan Butcher, Richard Lumb, Ashley Metcalfe and doubtless others all of which would have been automatic selections nowadays. I doubt they got half a dozen caps between them. There were a few good players ahead of them mind.

Gooch had a slow start. Took him about 10 years to become a great opening batsman. Maybe Jennings will be the same.
  • Options
    Well that means they are nailed on not to resign...because Peston is pretty much wrong about everything.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802
    This got lost at the tail end of the last thread. Big G"s very sharp about turn was in the fore of my thinking, writing this.

On another note, it was great to see The Flying Scotsman pootle past my office window in Salford this afternoon.
    Pro_Rata said:

Strange how we comment endlessly on every last bit of UK political intrigue and faction on here and then just see the EU as if it is some monolith.

My opinion is that the EU negotiators have been trying, in good faith, to see a way through Chequers, and that though they were liaising with their paymasters, the nation states, this did not get the amount of bandwidth with the heads of those states until this summit. The heads of state did not like what they saw. Tusk's tone at the press conference was not off the cuff, but reflected accurately the concensus of those sovereign nations to kill off Chequers.

It is not like UK ministers never send their advisors scurrying back to think again on crucial matters and the EUs institutional limitations do not bad faith make.

I expect Barnier's team to, in good faith, attempt to meet May's challenge of devising something of their own between FTA and SM - a kind of Chequeheures deal, if you like. But, in good faith, that cupboard may be bare.

Where the EU can take blame yesterday is in two respects - Tusk's Instagram post was poor but more egregiously, and this is where my case for good faith is stretched, what the hell is all this '10 minutes at the end of dinner' rubbish? Cameron had it, now May. Is that the general rule for any national special pleading, like supplication is supposed to be a small part at the end of prayer, or is it just for us?

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    Charles said:

Fenman said:

HYUFD said:

I don’t think most of the EU leaders (with the possible exception of Macron - though it’s worth reading his full remarks) wanted to damage May-who herself may have misjudged things at the end of a dinner after a long tiring day - and will have been taken aback at how their cozy chat in Salzburg was presented in the U.K. They are not unaware of the risks of a hostile resentful U.K. on their western border with Putin’s kleptocracy on their eastern border - and apart from some idealogues in Brussels want things sorted out with as little fuss as possible and to remain on good terms afterwards. Salzburg hasn’t helped that.
    The last time a large European nation was humiliated in a Treaty 20 years later it did not end too well.

For God's sake if anyone is humiliating anyone, it's us humiliating ourselves. The EU position is and always has been clear. We should stop the silly Oxbridge semantics and make up our minds to stay and accept the rules or just piss off. I'm afraid what Salzburg symbolises is that the rest of the EU is just bored with this.
    The issue is that they have refused to engage constructively on the Irish border question. A technological solution might have been possible - it might not have been. But without a working party to examine it it isn’t going to happen.

Instead I think they genuinely believed they could force the Brits into cancelling Brexit (encouraged by some politicians and media folk in the UK). I don’t believe that it’s going to happen

As s result of intransigence and stupidity on the EU’s side there’s a real risk of a bad outcome for everyone
    This. Specifically the political and media types in London and Brussels who want a second referendum and spend all day talking to each other, give the EU side of the negotiations the feeling that we can be talked out of Brexit somehow... Meanwhile the rest of the country reacts by saying f**k the EU and the horse they rode on, and No Deal happens by accident.
  • Options

Well that means they are nailed on not to resign...because Peston is pretty much wrong about everything.
    We may disagree on Lyth, but we agree on Peston.
  • Options
    I though the one above NewtonDunn’s scoop was better:

In A Stew With The Irish
  • Options

Charles said:

felix said:

stodge said:

Wonder how many more

It’s market cap weighted
    Yes I know. It's only 1 in 6 companies though.
    Well the oilys, pharma and miners all gave less than 5% of revenues in the U.K.
  • Options
    Numerous people and bodies have called for a people’s vote. Scratch a little below the surface, and it becomes apparent that many of these are either uncertain, or perhaps deliberately vague, about the circumstances in which it should be held.

They are also uncertain – or again perhaps deliberately vague – about the nature of the question to be put, the timing, and indeed the consequences which should flow from such a vote. As the Leave campaign can testify, there are pros and cons for groups who take this sort of stance. A vague plan might elicit support from a wide range of people. But then, it might turn out not to be able to deliver what the people were hoping for.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/09/18/the-peoples-vote-is-not-the-answer-to-the-brexit-riddle/
  • Options

Amen. Literally anything he speculares about bet on the opposite happening.
  • Options
    How much easier would her life be if she hadn't called the snap election? She really has boxed herself in thanks the outcome of her decision to call it.
  • Options
    Another momentous day in politics and many more to come

It is getting past my bedtime so time to wish everyone a very relaxed nights rest

Good night folks
  • Options

Days after the Trump administration instituted a controversial travel ban in January 2017, Google employees discussed ways they might be able to tweak the company’s search-related functions to show users how to contribute to pro-immigration organizations and contact lawmakers and government agencies, according to internal company emails.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-workers-discussed-tweaking-search-function-to-counter-travel-ban-1537488472

As someone else said earlier, US politics is designed to make U.K. politics seem normal.

Google and Facebook are staring down the barrel of some serious regulation if they can’t prove they’re being impartial over the US elections.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Gooch had a slow start. Took him about 10 years to become a great opening batsman. Maybe Jennings will be the same.
    Not that slow.

And that’s an argument which could have been deployed for any of the half dozen openers we’ve tried - than all of whom Jennings has already had a longer run at it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

As someone else said earlier, US politics is designed to make U.K. politics seem normal.

Google and Facebook are staring down the barrel of some serious regulation if they can’t prove they’re being impartial over the US elections.
    There is a serious problem with silicon valley where a particular world view has formed in the bubble. They are big on encouraging diversity, as long as as it isn't diversity of opinions.
  • Options

How much easier would her life be if she hadn't called the snap election? She really has boxed herself in thanks the outcome of her decision to call it.
    History turns on such moments.
  • Options

So you're wishing we could just f##k over the Northern Irish? Sounds like it might be a good job that we got the result we did then?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

There is a serious problem with silicon valley where a particular world view has formed in the bubble. They are big on encouraging diversity, as long as as it isn't diversity of opinions.
    I assume you saw this:
    https://quillette.com/2018/09/21/the-preachers-of-the-great-awokening/
  • Options

Just as well she did and thank God for the DUP. She really should have known better than to ever think it would be acceptable to make permanent commitments on NI in the absence of an agreed outcome.
This discussion has been closed.