Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris got a leadership betting lift from his speech but he’s n

124»

Comments

• Options
    RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

Michael Gove says No Deal Brexit would be 'suboptimal' and 'did not expect the head of steam' behind the 'People's Vote' campaign

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45725615

God that man is shameless. Translation - “I don’t really care about the outcome of Brexit, all I really care about is trying to gain favour with the Remainers in the party so I can be the next leader. So I will support whatever rubbish May comes back with so Brexit will be out of the way and then I can take over. In the meantime I will tell some lies about improving Brexit later to keep the Leavers onside.”

Unlike you, Gove lives in the UK and would have to deal with the consequences of a No Deal Brexit.

Can you please stop these mind-numbingly tedious references to archer’s location? It is perfectly possible to be British, resident overseas and concerned for one’s country, unless you’re a knuckle-dragging nativist. I know you’re a member of the Labour Party under Corbyn’s leadership, but I wouldn’t call you that.

Would you like it if posters here suggested your anti-Brexit stance was motivated solely by the pile of money you recently made, and concern that it might be devalued?

It is a fact that archer lives and works in Australia, and so will be entirely unaffected by the Brexit he advocates. I do not see a problem in pointing that out, so I will continue to do so.

If you wish to say that I decided to oppose Brexit during the referendum campaign because I knew what the consequences would be for sterling two years later, then please feel free to do so. It may not be making the point you think it is.

As for rejoining the Labour party - it was a big mistake. That's why I left again.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. NorthWales, I agree that Boris is an oaf and don't want him to become PM. That said 'Little Englander' was a dumb line for Cameron to use and it hasn't become any smarter (unless you're campaigning to become the president of France).
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

Michael Gove says No Deal Brexit would be 'suboptimal' and 'did not expect the head of steam' behind the 'People's Vote' campaign

God that man is shameless. Translation - “I don’t really care about the outcome of Brexit, all I really care about is trying to gain favour with the Remainers in the party so I can be the next leader. So I will support whatever rubbish May comes back with so Brexit will be out of the way and then I can take over. In the meantime I will tell some lies about improving Brexit later to keep the Leavers onside.”

Unlike you, Gove lives in the UK and would have to deal with the consequences of a No Deal Brexit.

I believe Mr Archer is a UK citizen, which I would have thought gave him the right to comment without this point being made against him every time. He is upfront in his username as to where he comes from. But perhaps you regard his posts as unwelcome immigrants which should be turned away at the UK's cyberboundaries and sent back where they came from?

He has every right to comment. I encourage him to do so. And I have every right to point out that he will be totally unaffected by a No Deal Brexit. Just as I have every right to point out that those who will be most affected by such a departure will not be the wealthy, but those who work in manufacturing and various other sectors, as well as those who rely on public services such as the NHS and education, as well as the poor, the vulnerable and the left behind.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

'Little Englander' was a dumb line for Cameron to use

Painfully accurate though
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    What time are they plugging in the Maybot ?
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited October 2018
    Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

I believe Mr Archer is a UK citizen, which I would have thought gave him the right to comment without this point being made against him every time. He is upfront in his username as to where he comes from. But perhaps you regard his posts as unwelcome immigrants which should be turned away at the UK's cyberboundaries and sent back where they came from?
    Southam doesn't deserve to be picked out for this as quite a few people do it but I agree that Archers location shouldn't be used against him.

I disagree with most of the things he says but he has just as much right as anyone else. PB also contains many other Brits abroad who don't quite seem to get it as much.

There can be some justified usage of it, someone who hasn't lived here for a few years might be missing some information or the lived experience but it feels like it is not just used for that.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. P, I pointed out at the time it was a daft line. As I pointed out Obama's comments, contrary to the views of some here, would help Leave.
  • Options

Mr. NorthWales, I agree that Boris is an oaf and don't want him to become PM. That said 'Little Englander' was a dumb line for Cameron to use and it hasn't become any smarter (unless you're campaigning to become the president of France).

They do come over as having no care for the union including some who would be happy to lose NI and Scotland, hence little englander
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

What time are they plugging in the Maybot ?

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Mr. P, I pointed out at the time it was a daft line. As I pointed out Obama's comments, contrary to the views of some here, would help Leave.

Again, both statements were painfully accurate.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

:+1: Mr @archer101au does seem to be on the receiving end of somewhat more crap than most of the PB expatriate contingent. It shouldn’t be particularly surprising that Brits who have spent a lot of time living outside the EU realise more than most that there’s a big world of opportunity out there.
  • Options

I agree. I think English nationalists is a far more accurate description of the majority inside the Conservative party - and of the majority of Brexit supporters generally. The polling shows that most Brexiteers would choose breaking up the UK over not leaving the EU.

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

He has every right to comment. I encourage him to do so. And I have every right to point out that he will be totally unaffected by a No Deal Brexit. Just as I have every right to point out that those who will be most affected by such a departure will not be the wealthy, but those who work in manufacturing and various other sectors, as well as those who rely on public services such as the NHS and education, as well as the poor, the vulnerable and the left behind.
    I don’t follow. We all know that you’re wealthy, but I wouldn’t say you’re unaffected. It seems to have had a profound effect on your mental state.

As for those social groups you list, a sizeable chunk of them, if not a majority in some cases, voted for Brexit. Do you know what’s better for them than they do?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,573

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

he will be totally unaffected by a No Deal Brexit.
    How do you know that? You know all his personal circumstances, family members, investments, pensions and so on?

Your 'blood & soil' nationalism is frankly surprising and I would have hoped beneath you.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

rpjs said:

Only good for polar orbits though, although I have a feeling GPS/Galileo/GLONASS satellites are in very highly-inclined orbits anyway. In any case, I expect the biggest obstacle to building a British Galileo (Newton?) system will be establishing the ground station network. Perhaps Pitcairn Island will prove useful at last.

There are also plans for a horizontal-launch facility from Cornwall, near Newquay, potentially along with other sites in North Wales and near Glasgow. I think Virgin Galactic are involved with at least one. AIUI the planes can carry only small payloads into orbit, but by flying over the sea they can get a wide range of orbits unavailable from land.

So I guess the question is how big GPS satellites are compared to VG's capability. According to Wiki each GPS satellite weighs about 2t at launch and 1t once on orbit (presumably the difference being propellant), whilst Gallileo sats weight about 700kg. It looks as though VG's LauncherOne will not be able to loft anywhere near that weight.
    The issue with any horizontal launch capacity from the UK is that:

- The launcher would have to fly out over the Atlantic for a way, then do a U-turn, and take its run up towards the east, ensuring it was out of the atmosphere and far enough along its trajectory that if anything went wrong, it wouldn't rain chunks of burning propellant and booster all over France, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc. This is extremely fuel-inefficent - it'd probably have to be about half-way to Canada before it turned around, shed all its existing horizontal velocity, and started its eastward acceleration*

- The orbits you can reach are (to a first approximation) limited to those with an inclination equal to or greater than your latitude. At the equator, you can launch to any orbit. At the latitude of Kennedy Space Centre in Florida, any orbits inclined at 28.5 degrees to the Equator or greater. You can fudge this a bit by shaping your trajectory as you go up (at a fuel cost) but not by much. You can, of course, do an orbit plane change once in orbit, but these are so fuel costly, rocket engineers sometimes joke that it's often easier to just land and relaunch into the new orbit**

*This is for "normal" prograde orbits (in the direction of the Earth's rotation). This is both vastly easier than going the other was as you start off with some eastward velocity due to the Earth's rotation (while going the other way, you have to effectively start by "braking" that velocity away and then build up from scratch) and is in the direction of the overwhelming majority of existing satellites and agreed orbits

**You can, if you're lucky or clever, get a "free" plane change if you swing around an existing massive body, like the Moon.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

:+1: Mr @archer101au does seem to be on the receiving end of somewhat more crap than most of the PB expatriate contingent. It shouldn’t be particularly surprising that Brits who have spent a lot of time living outside the EU realise more than most that there’s a big world of opportunity out there.
    I think I am one of the few posters who have actually apologised to Archer. He is a passionate fighter for Canada ++ but I have not been able to understand for those promoting Canada ++ how a hard border in NI is prevented and how just in time manufacturing is maintained. I believe the Swindon car plant receives 350, yes 350, hgv deliveries a day
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

I don’t follow. We all know that you’re wealthy, but I wouldn’t say you’re unaffected. It seems to have had a profound effect on your mental state.

As for those social groups you list, a sizeable chunk of them, if not a majority in some cases, voted for Brexit. Do you know what’s better for them than they do?

Disagreeing with you does not make someone mentally unbalanced, I'm afraid.

As for understanding the consequences of a No Deal Brexit, yes I think I have a better handle on it than most people in this country.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The theme of this conference was supposed to be opportunity. A pretty vacuous word at best but what has any minister said that is relevant to it?

Where are the announcements of the extension of homework clubs, pupil premiums and incentivisation of teachers to go to "difficult" schools, what has been said (other than by Boris) about the difficulties with housing, with the unfairness of student grants, with funding social care, etc etc? Where is this opportunity that they speak of?

I confess I have not been glued to the Conference, it is entirely possible that I have missed something but the 2 announcements I have picked up on are (a) waiters get to keep their tips and (b) EU citizens in the future will be treated the same as applicants from the rest of the world. (b) is obviously subject to the terms of deal with the EU so it doesn't exactly leave a program for government does it?

One of May's most serious failings as a leader (definitely top 3) is that she thinks the job of government is to keep buggering on through difficult circumstances without wasting too much time wondering where they are going and why. No doubt she will unveil a vision of a shining city on a hill at 10am today...

Sky saying it is 11.30
    Well that gives her another 90 minutes to come up with something.
    Im hoping she has a tap dance routine
    She definitely looks more like a strictly sort of girl to me.

I think the best May could manage would be an out of time hand jive.

How could you forget her performance in SA so quickly? For shame.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929

HYUFD said:

May has stopped reading newspapers in the morning 'to preserve her wellbeing'

https://mobile.twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1047251687411515392

Same as everyone else in the country then. Only the old and the mad still read newspapers, and mostly those in the overlapping part of the Venn diagram.
    'If you don't read the newspapers you are uninformed; if you do you are misinformed.'
This discussion has been closed.