Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Kavanaugh Supreme Court nomination: Trump ups the ante by

Comments

• geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    Call the essay crisis expert!
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Ooh

Tory MP: We need a strong leader

James Duddridge has submitted a letter of no confidence in Theresa May.

The MP for Rochford and Southend East says in his letter to Graham Brady, chair of the 1922 committee: “I am normally a loyalist, served in the Whip’s Office for nearly five years and have never voted against the government.

“However, there comes a point that blind loyalty is not the right way forward.

“We need a strong leader, someone who believes in Brexit and someone to deliver what the electorate voted for.

“The Prime Minister seems incapable of doing this.

“I have not met a single MP who thinks she will lead us into another election after the last disastrous snap election.

“We will fail to cut through on issues other than Brexit until we are beyond Brexit, yet the can is kicked further and further down the road.

“I write this with heavy heart, however we now need a proper leadership election and to move on.”

Why do this the morning of the speech and not after she's given it? Surely her speech will move the agenda on unless another letter comes out? Whereas if done after the speech this would come across more as a reaction.

Insread backstabbing her this morning looks like a cowards way of doing it to me. Not quite Mark Reckless but not far off.
    Because his immediate prime interest is in disrupting May's speech.

Stupid stunt.
    He will only get headlines about this in his family newsletter that goes out with his Christmas cards
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,693

GIN1138 said:

Ooh

The MP for Rochford and Southend East says in his letter to Graham Brady, chair of the 1922 committee: “I am normally a loyalist, served in the Whip’s Office for nearly five years and have never voted against the government.

“We need a strong leader, someone who believes in Brexit and someone to deliver what the electorate voted for.

“I have not met a single MP who thinks she will lead us into another election after the last disastrous snap election.

“We will fail to cut through on issues other than Brexit until we are beyond Brexit, yet the can is kicked further and further down the road.

“I write this with heavy heart, however we now need a proper leadership election and to move on.”

Oh dear... Just what Theresa needs 20 minutes before she gives her speech! :D
    He’s on team Boris. What do you expect from a rat?
    Who does #TeamGeorge hate more? #TeamTheresa ? Or #TeamBoris ?

Nobody falls out quite like the Tories? :D
  • Ooh

He believes Boris is the answer. He is wrong.
    Sadly they do not have the intellect to see that actions like this rally mps for TM.

Sky reporting even more Chequers sceptics are supporting her
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

OchEye said:

Trump is a tosser.

Who knew?

Just found this, looks like the NYT has trumped 46-1

https://youtu.be/60zE7B-09cM
    The male presenter playing the expert role seems to be confused by the NYT having adjusted the figures to today's dollar values.

ETA it might explain why Trump is so keen to get Kavanaugh's bottom on the Scotus bench, if he is worried about being prosecuted for tax evasion.
    As I pointed out last thread, that won’t matter much, other than possibly delaying the inevitable until he’s out of office, if he gets prosecuted by the State of New York for fraud or evasion of his state taxes.

Speech now 11.45.

Maybe she'll just cancel it and tell everyone to go home?
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401

Ooh

Why do this the morning of the speech and not after she's given it? Surely her speech will move the agenda on unless another letter comes out? Whereas if done after the speech this would come across more as a reaction.

Insread backstabbing her this morning looks like a cowards way of doing it to me. Not quite Mark Reckless but not far off.

Stupid stunt.
    They are pathetic. Hope TM takes them on and wins a vnoc easily
    If she did win comfortably, she'd probably serve through to 2022 which is also a sub-optimal outcome.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

This is what he tweeted yesterday

twitter.com/jamesduddridge/status/1047096909750517762?s=21

Seriously - how can anybody imagine Boris as PM? Admittedly it would be a coin toss to decide who would make the worst PM - Boris or Corbyn.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Conservatives queing to get into the auditorium

The queuing will be staged - seems to have been well leaked to various sources...
    How do you stage queuing
    shut the inside doors G, very simple. I watched a bit last night and it was like a graveyard and the audience that was there were in the waiting room, no young faces to be seen.
    Morning Malc.

Are you saying Mother Theresa's Faking It? :D
    Hello GIN, she should just pack it in whilst she has a shred of credibility left , let some of the other losers get pelters instead. I do think she is useless but is also on a hiding to nothing with the dingbats she has to deal with on either side of the divide in the Tory party. She chose to keep all the deadwood there and so must accept the pelters, anybody with a pair would have chosen a bunch of newbies for cabinet and got rid of all that deadwood from the start.
    Yep - keeping on Hammond was a big mistake. She was following the Gordon Brown approach of sidelining the talent and surrounding herself with mediocrity in an attempt to stifle a challenge.

Hopefully long gone by next Summer.
    She didn't have a choice. Well, she did - she could have resigned but given that she didn't resign, she wasn't strong enough to replace Hammond immediately post-GE. Indeed, by all accounts, she was planning to replace him so while she can be blamed for a lot, I don't think you can lay the whole of the blame for that one at her door. You can of course blame her for the election result and for not then quitting.

She won't be long gone by next summer - there's too much going on to take two months out on a leadership election - but I do think she'll go during next summer.
    Meh - what was Hammond going to do ? He has a following of approximately 1 MP - the MP for Runnymede and Weybridge.

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Ooh

I’m quite amazed that we’ve gone through pretty much the whole conference season without a single MP defecting. The extra large bags of popcorn remain in the larder.

Speech now 11.45.

Why does it keep moving?

Speech now 11.45.

It was trailed as being at 10am a few hours ago. Really annoying for those of us who have work to do and had tried to schedule meetings and calls around the PM’s speech.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,747
    GIN1138 said:

Speech now 11.45.

Maybe she'll just cancel it and tell everyone to go home?
    That would probably be the best idea.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited October 2018
    Scott_P said:
    What a fool. I don’t think this MP knows the voluntary party very well if he thinks we will appreciate this.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Boris was a tolerable Mayor of London, but only because other than his pet vanity projects he was too lazy to interfere much and just let things run themselves. That’s the best we can hope for if he became Prime Minister.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,261
    TGOHF said:

Yep - keeping on Hammond was a big mistake. She was following the Gordon Brown approach of sidelining the talent and surrounding herself with mediocrity in an attempt to stifle a challenge.

Not my business, but Hammond seems competent to me. Not a great PR man, but better than most at pursuing his brief. Who would you like to see doing it?

Ooh

Stupid stunt.
    They are pathetic. Hope TM takes them on and wins a vnoc easily
    If she did win comfortably, she'd probably serve through to 2022 which is also a sub-optimal outcome.
    Fine tuning needed. What is the best date for her departure? Before or after 29/3/2019?
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Ooh

Oh dear... Just what Theresa needs 20 minutes before she gives her speech! :D
    He’s on team Boris. What do you expect from a rat?
    Who does #TeamGeorge hate more? #TeamTheresa ? Or #TeamBoris ?

Nobody falls out quite like the Tories? :D
    This isn't even close to the mass resignations Corbyn faced. Or the No Confidence vote that Corbyn lost. Or many of his MPs denouncing him as an anti-semite.

Labour has fallen out in a far more spectacular fashion.
  • Iain Dale has said a conservative mp has just said Duddridge is a 'copper bottomed sh-t' and it is a view of most conservative activists who are questioning how anyone could do something like this.

Strengthens TM even more
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited October 2018
    The Nobel Prize for chemistry has gone to two Americans and a plucky Brit boffin from TSE's alma mater.

The 2018 Nobel Prize in Chemistry has been awarded to three scientists for their discoveries in enzyme research.

Americans Frances Arnold and George P Smith will share the prize with Briton Gregory Winter, who is based at Cambridge University.

This year's winners used a technique called directed evolution to create new enzymes - which accelerate chemical reactions in biology.

These enzymes are used to manufacture new drugs and green fuels.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45655152

ETA what price enzymes in the speech bingo?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Sorry have I missed this I thought she was going to speak at 10am?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670

Speech now 11.45.

Why does it keep moving?
    Being edited as each knife goes in her back
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Seriously - how can anybody imagine Boris as PM? Admittedly it would be a coin toss to decide who would make the worst PM - Boris or Corbyn.
    Corbyn would be worse - think of the man and his team and policies combined.

Iain Dale has said a conservative mp has just said Duddridge is a 'copper bottomed sh-t' and it is a view of most conservative activists who are questioning how anyone could do something like this.

Strengthens TM even more

I'd wait and see how many more letters are going in after her speech (if she ever actually gives it)

Ooh

He believes Boris is the answer. He is wrong.
    Sadly they do not have the intellect to see that actions like this rally mps for TM.

Sky reporting even more Chequers sceptics are supporting her
    Boris’ antics seem to have gone down with the membership in the same way as Obama’s comments went down so well before the referendum. Vast majority of the PCP now behind the PM.
    Floater said:

Boris's policies could cost us hundreds of billions of pounds, so Jezza nationalising manhole covers might look cheap at the price.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

Scott_P said:
    Yes, and so far job done. I was surprised to see people saying it's been a disaster, it seems to me to have gone OK. Nothing memorable, but that's probably a good thing in the circumstances, and Boris has fallen rather flat, which is helpful.

Of course things might change in the next hour or so.
    May may also benefit from low expectations, anything north of adequate may be hailed a “triumoh”!
  • GIN1138 said:

Iain Dale has said a conservative mp has just said Duddridge is a 'copper bottomed sh-t' and it is a view of most conservative activists who are questioning how anyone could do something like this.

Strengthens TM even more

I'd wait and see how many more letters are going in after her speech (if she ever actually gives it)
    Bring it on and of course she is making her speech. The cameras are already following her and Philip
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. NorthWales, May has a habit of being late for her own speeches.
    Could Duddridge's be the 48th?
  • Floater said:

I agree with that even though I dislike Boris with a passion
  • TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

The queuing will be staged - seems to have been well leaked to various sources...
    How do you stage queuing
    shut the inside doors G, very simple. I watched a bit last night and it was like a graveyard and the audience that was there were in the waiting room, no young faces to be seen.
    Morning Malc.

Hello GIN, she should just pack it in whilst she has a shred of credibility left , let some of the other losers get pelters instead. I do think she is useless but is also on a hiding to nothing with the dingbats she has to deal with on either side of the divide in the Tory party. She chose to keep all the deadwood there and so must accept the pelters, anybody with a pair would have chosen a bunch of newbies for cabinet and got rid of all that deadwood from the start.

She didn't have a choice. Well, she did - she could have resigned but given that she didn't resign, she wasn't strong enough to replace Hammond immediately post-GE. Indeed, by all accounts, she was planning to replace him so while she can be blamed for a lot, I don't think you can lay the whole of the blame for that one at her door. You can of course blame her for the election result and for not then quitting.

She won't be long gone by next summer - there's too much going on to take two months out on a leadership election - but I do think she'll go during next summer.
    The members will definitely need to have a say next time. That means the windows for May's departure are realistically Summer 2019. Summer 2020, Summer 2021 or after the next election.

While she could go in Summer 2019, I think it would look quite harsh, particularly if she has managed to get a deal with Brussels. Also there would be pressure on a new leader to have an early election.

I wonder if it would be better for the Cons to change in 2020. That would allow the new leader 2 years to make a mark but not so long as to become stale.

I also think the Cons should aim to have the parliament go to 2022 as it allows more time for Lab splits to develop. There would also be the issue of the Corbyn succession
    Maybe May will surprise us all by announcing a serious policy ?
  • TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

How do you stage queuing
    Morning Malc.

The members will definitely need to have a say next time. That means the windows for May's departure are realistically Summer 2019. Summer 2020, Summer 2021 or after the next election.

While she could go in Summer 2019, I think it would look quite harsh, particularly if she has managed to get a deal with Brussels. Also there would be pressure on a new leader to have an early election.

I wonder if it would be better for the Cons to change in 2020. That would allow the new leader 2 years to make a mark but not so long as to become stale.

I also think the Cons should aim to have the parliament go to 2022 as it allows more time for Lab splits to develop. There would also be the issue of the Corbyn succession
    You make good points there.
  • geoffw said:

Fine by me. Bring it on
    TOPPING said:

Postponed twice now till 11.45 so either there's breaking news -- maybe Cameron was right and Brexit has triggered a third world war -- or the PM's lost her voice again.
    geoffw said:

The problem with the system is that if you get to 48, you have to go back to the other 47 to make sure that their letters still stand.

This is all about Duddridge being a fangirl for Boris and trying to raise his own profile. Nothing more.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

Elizabeth Taylor was literally “late for her own funeral” - her coffin arriving 30 minutes after the service started.
  • TGOHF said:

I'd guess something about a statute of limitation on prosecutions of British soldiers in Northern Ireland. It would be very popular with members, and it's also the right thing to do.
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,545
    Isn't James Duddridge's claim to fame trying to oust John Bercow? I think he created an Early Day Motion or similar, and said that there would be 200 signatures in a week which would create overwhelming pressure for Bercow to stand down?

He got 5 as I recall.

TGOHF said:

I'd guess something about a statute of limitation on prosecutions of British soldiers in Northern Ireland. It would be very popular with members, and it's also the right thing to do.
    Better late than never.

TOPPING said:

Postponed twice now till 11.45 so either there's breaking news -- maybe Cameron was right and Brexit has triggered a third world war -- or the PM's lost her voice again.
    tyvm

Elizabeth Taylor was literally “late for her own funeral” - her coffin arriving 30 minutes after the service started.
    That is the way to make an entrance. It is all about the antici.............

...........pation.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

TGOHF said:

and it would keep Arlene on side
  • Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    rpjs said:

Boris was a tolerable Mayor of London, but only because other than his pet vanity projects he was too lazy to interfere much and just let things run themselves. That’s the best we can hope for if he became Prime Minister.

Well, he's 50% of the way at least towards being suitable for the highest leadership duties, according to Von Hammerstein-Erquord's classification.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_von_Hammerstein-Equord#Classification_of_officers
  • TOPPING said:

Or maybe so many are trying to get into the auditorium
  • TGOHF said:

and it would keep Arlene on side
    Yep.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,879
    tpfkar said:

Isn't James Duddridge's claim to fame trying to oust John Bercow? I think he created an Early Day Motion or similar, and said that there would be 200 signatures in a week which would create overwhelming pressure for Bercow to stand down?

He got 5 as I recall.

Stretching the definition of fame a bit there...
    Is there a market up for buzzwords?
  • TOPPING said:

Ladbrokes have one. Not sure if it's still available though.

TOPPING said:

Ladbrokes have one. Not sure if it's still available though.
    thx
    tpfkar said:

He got 5 as I recall.

He sounds a bit flaky...
    TOPPING said:

https://twitter.com/LadPolitics/status/1047065718225809413
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    At least I have now actually heard of Geoff Cox...
    btw while we're waiting, just caught up with Liam Fox on Pienaar this last weekend.

What an utter, utter moron. So many contradictions I'm amazed he didn't walk into the studio facing backwards.

I agree with your first two paragraphs but I'm afraid some sensible and purposeful ruthlessness is necessary.

I don't believe that May has an adequate domestic reforming agenda, and it's on domestic politics that the next election will be won and lost. Therefore the new leader needs either as long as possible to put policies into place that can be seen to be delivered, or an immediate election. That, to me, says next summer. There is no value to giving May a lap of honour for having brought home a not-very-good deal from Brussels, particularly as that's not the end of that process: the transitional deal is still only scheduled to run through to December 2020, so a change early in that next phase would be less disruptive than towards the end of it.

However, to return to domestics, what's the big offer on housing? A bit more tax on foreign ownership. It's tinkering at the edges. There needs to be an offer on the scale of right-to-buy, which will heavily tilt the housing market back towards owner-occupiers and away from private landlords (I accept that taking on private landlords will be politically harder than taking on local councils but it needs to be done anyway if the 'party of aspiration' tag is to be meaningful). It's big, bold offers which are needed and she won't do it.
    Sandpit said:
    link not working for me. Must have been taken down...
  • Iain Dale has said a conservative mp has just said Duddridge is a 'copper bottomed sh-t' and it is a view of most conservative activists who are questioning how anyone could do something like this.

Strengthens TM even more

Reminds me of Mark Reckless...... turned out well for him....
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:
    link not working for me. Must have been taken down...
    Swansong 100/1 ?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,950
    Polruan said:

Ooh

Possibly because there are a few other MPs scheduled to announce their letters after the speech to keep it top of the agenda?
    Unless she cans Chequers in her speech.....
    GIN1138 said:
    Precisely.

I now know he is the Attorney General.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,539
    GIN1138 said:
    Noel Coward was a famous entertainer.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    There are bad times just around the corner...

Polruan said:

Ooh

Possibly because there are a few other MPs scheduled to announce their letters after the speech to keep it top of the agenda?
    Unless she cans Chequers in her speech.....
    The verb is 'to chuck', not 'can' :lol:
  • And we all thought that twatish comedian doing the p45 stunt last year looked bad, now a genuine mp has taken it as inspiration.

And we all thought that twatish comedian doing the p45 stunt last year looked bad, now a genuine mp has taken it as inspiration.

Hodges thinks its great.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136

Ooh

Stupid stunt.
    I don't get it, if you were trying to damage TMay, why would you try to distract attention from one of her speeches?
  • There are bad times just around the corner...
    Very apposite to current circumstances:

It's as clear as crystal
    From Bridlington to Bristol
    That we can't save democracy and we don't much care.
    If the Reds and the Pinks
    Believe that England stinks
    And that world revolution is bound to spread,
    We'd better all learn the lyrics of the old 'Red Flag'
    And wait until we drop down dead.
  • Ooh

Stupid stunt.
    I don't get it, if you were trying to damage TMay, why would you try to distract attention from one of her speeches?
    LOL!

Surely everyone is "late" for their own funeral or else they would not be dead?

:D:D:D
    BBC unhelpfully reshowing her problems last time

There are bad times just around the corner...
    "Just say the lines and don't trip over the furniture." Noel Coward
    PM’s intro playing now...

I don't believe that May has an adequate domestic reforming agenda, and it's on domestic politics that the next election will be won and lost. Therefore the new leader needs either as long as possible to put policies into place that can be seen to be delivered, or an immediate election. That, to me, says next summer. There is no value to giving May a lap of honour for having brought home a not-very-good deal from Brussels, particularly as that's not the end of that process: the transitional deal is still only scheduled to run through to December 2020, so a change early in that next phase would be less disruptive than towards the end of it.

However, to return to domestics, what's the big offer on housing? A bit more tax on foreign ownership. It's tinkering at the edges. There needs to be an offer on the scale of right-to-buy, which will heavily tilt the housing market back towards owner-occupiers and away from private landlords (I accept that taking on private landlords will be politically harder than taking on local councils but it needs to be done anyway if the 'party of aspiration' tag is to be meaningful). It's big, bold offers which are needed and she won't do it.

You're still thinking about politics as if it's normal. It's not, there's Brexit and Corbyn. Corbyn means the only thing the Tories have to do to win is avoid setting fire to the economy, and Brexit means that absent some fairly deft base-disappointing, that's what they're going to do.
    Dancing Queen - genius move!
    Dancing queen!!!
  • Dancing Queen
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,950
    Oh dear...Dancing Queen.....oh dear....
  • FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Oh my word. LOL.
    Geoffrey Cox getting a big reaction on Twitter. I'm not watching - what goes?
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Dancing Queen? OK?
    Dancing Queen music - excellent start! Slightly milking it that said.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    ****'s sake.
    She seems as happy and relaxed as I have seen her.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Oh good on her. At least she has a very British sense of the ridiculous.
    TOPPING said:

Maybe she's going to resign and the weights been lifted? :D
  • GIN1138 said:

TOPPING said:

Maybe she's going to resign and the weights been lifted? :D
    Give over
    She's setting the scene for a Brexit that's somewhat less bad than WW1, this is what she should have been doing from the beginning.

You're still thinking about politics as if it's normal. It's not, there's Brexit and Corbyn. Corbyn means the only thing the Tories have to do to win is avoid setting fire to the economy, and Brexit means that absent some fairly deft base-disappointing, that's what they're going to do.
    If the leadership election can be managed by MPs keeping their head, it will still be something approximating to politics-as-normal come 2022.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TOPPING said:

Boris has blown his load. She is untouchable. Jack Whosdale is a twat.
  • OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    I thought it was a replay of last year, then I realised had the tv on mute....

Kavanaugh now 1/7 to be confirmed; 7/2 not to be. That's a huge change since the start of this thread.

Kavanaugh 1/6 yes; 7/2 no.
This discussion has been closed.