Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » To win the next election LAB need to find converts and it’s ha

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    I have Sarah Newton on, am I live ?
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Question:

Does this man, Michal Tusk, look like an antichrist to you?

http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/8f/0c/bb/z12258447V,Michal-Tusk.jpg

Honestly he looks like a competitor on The Apprentice, which is good enough for me.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984
    welshowl said:

The problem, as far as the DUP is concerned, is that the whole thing stems from the Treaty of Rome.
    Therefore an extreme negative view is the default position.

I suspect for the DUP it’s not so much the Treaty of Rome 1957, as the break with Rome 1536. I wonder if Brussels has quite worked out it may as well be in 1690 as 2018 and that’s what they are dealing with.

That said the DUP, for all their faults, are consistent and have an entirely logical position, they wish to be in the U.K. , U.K. single market and all, and handing them over without the consent of NI to the EU SM over which they would have no say is democratic non starter. If they are to pay customs dues to Brussels it’s taxation without representation. And that tends to lead to trouble for those trying to do the taxing.
    I don’t think 1536 comes into it; it’s more John Knox.
  • Options

Question:

Does this man, Michal Tusk, look like an antichrist to you?

http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/8f/0c/bb/z12258447V,Michal-Tusk.jpg

Honestly he looks like a competitor on The Apprentice, which is good enough for me.

When you see him do you see a second coming?
  • Options
    TM takes her place.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    Pulpstar said:

I have Sarah Newton on, am I live ?

Up to a point....
  • Options

I'd argue they don't have to get any new converts to win.
    They merely need the Tories to lose votes. Whether to UKIP, the Lib Dems, the Greens, a new party, or even just sitting on their hands at home, it doesn't matter.

For example, if you got exactly the same votes for everyone other than the Tories, and the Tories lost 2 million votes:

Tories lose 41 seats to Labour, 3 to the Lib Dems, 2 to the SNP.

Con 271
    Lab 303
    SNP 37
    LD 15

That on its own would make Labour favourite to take 10 Downing Street. Given as well that many of the SNP/Labour seats are very close in terms of majority, a handful of SNP voters staying home could put Corbyn very close to going over the top - with not a single extra vote being won.

I don't think Labour has anything like the appeal that it had on June 8th last year. I'm in what could be the tightest constituency in the UK and have tactically voted in the past two elections. that won't happen again.
    Do you mean Mike that you voted for Corbyn at the last election and against free markets? And you a Liberal Democrat!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

justin124 said:

If there’s an election campaign both the LibDems and the Greens will get a lot more attention. That might change the picture somewhat.

The LibDems should get less broadcasting time allocated to them at the next election on account of their poor performances in both 2015 & 2017. They are also unlikely to qualify for as many PPBs as in recent elections.
    But they will be at the debates, and an appearance at one leaders' debate is potentially worth fifty PPBs. (Indeed, the time has really come to scrap PPBs, which are pointless in the age of social media and multi-channel-TV).
    There is also a case for restricting social media activity but while both parties think they have an advantage there, it won't happen.
    I don't think that's possible, and it's probably not desirable. Social media is the equivalent of the press, not the electronic media in the monopoly era. There was a good argument for having enforced neutrality on the BBC/ITV when they were the only two providers of TV services, and when the BBC dominated the radio; I'm doubtful that there's a good argument any more, other than that changing it could produce a race to the bottom with the likes of Fox News and RT.

That said, regulation of all forms of media is in need of reform and there is a case for bringing all under the same legally-enforceable code.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

welshowl said:

The problem, as far as the DUP is concerned, is that the whole thing stems from the Treaty of Rome.

I suspect for the DUP it’s not so much the Treaty of Rome 1957, as the break with Rome 1536. I wonder if Brussels has quite worked out it may as well be in 1690 as 2018 and that’s what they are dealing with.

That said the DUP, for all their faults, are consistent and have an entirely logical position, they wish to be in the U.K. , U.K. single market and all, and handing them over without the consent of NI to the EU SM over which they would have no say is democratic non starter. If they are to pay customs dues to Brussels it’s taxation without representation. And that tends to lead to trouble for those trying to do the taxing.
    I don’t think 1536 comes into it; it’s more John Knox.
    Take your point. I’m sure he could bellow from a pulpit with the best of them.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715

Did we get any of those 4 things?
    I must have missed the Antichrist.
    Would everything really be so bad under the antichrist? Would rail fares and timetables be as bad?
    Would the Brexit negotiation really be so bad if led by the whore of Babylon? Would they duck leadership debates, or ride in on a seven headed beast and steal the show?
    Sounds marginally worse than Brexit.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715
    Scott_P said:
    Inevitable I suppose, but depressing nevertheless.
    It's an impossible job, but kicking the can can't go on and blaming others isn't helpful.
  • Options
    So we are still going to get a deal then?

Hey ho.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Scott_P said:
    Oh for the love of God, no!

She has fucked up royally, is continuing to fuck it up and needs to go.

Sorry for the profanity. But it is just embarrassing what our pitiful political class is doing to us.
  • Options
    OH MY FUCKING CHRIST

SHE IS ACTUALLY PRETENDING THAT EVERYTHING IS FINE

Please, for the love of jiggling fuck, somebody please VONC her now.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Slackbladder, perhaps "an inability to get anything agreed let alone win a vote on it means an inability to get anything agreed let alone win a vote on it"?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Theresa May keeps using the word "remain". #Freud
  • Options
    No sound here, how's the bingo card doing ?

https://twitter.com/Pulpstar/status/1051808304236781569
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:
    If this is true then why haven't they made so much more if it since last December when it was agreed?
    Because it was changed in December to all U.K.

The EU has gone back on the agreement and May has caved
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

I'd argue they don't have to get any new converts to win.
    They merely need the Tories to lose votes. Whether to UKIP, the Lib Dems, the Greens, a new party, or even just sitting on their hands at home, it doesn't matter.

For example, if you got exactly the same votes for everyone other than the Tories, and the Tories lost 2 million votes:

Tories lose 41 seats to Labour, 3 to the Lib Dems, 2 to the SNP.

Con 271
    Lab 303
    SNP 37
    LD 15

That on its own would make Labour favourite to take 10 Downing Street. Given as well that many of the SNP/Labour seats are very close in terms of majority, a handful of SNP voters staying home could put Corbyn very close to going over the top - with not a single extra vote being won.

I don't think Labour has anything like the appeal that it had on June 8th last year. I'm in what could be the tightest constituency in the UK and have tactically voted in the past two elections. that won't happen again.
    Do you mean Mike that you voted for Corbyn at the last election and against free markets? And you a Liberal Democrat!
    As I recorded at the time I did a vote swap with an old Labour friend who lives is Twickenham. Both that seat and Bedford were CON losses.
  • Options
    The House seems to be indulging in what could charitably called "mocking laughter".
  • Options
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:
    If this is true then why haven't they made so much more if it since last December when it was agreed?

The EU never agreed to all UK.
  • Options
    Is that it?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Pulpstar said:

No sound here, how's the bingo card doing ?

https://twitter.com/Pulpstar/status/1051808304236781569

It doesn't matter. It's all sound and fury, signifying nothing.
  • Options
    Corbyn: " This is beginning to feel like Groundhog Day"
  • Options

justin124 said:

If there’s an election campaign both the LibDems and the Greens will get a lot more attention. That might change the picture somewhat.

The LibDems should get less broadcasting time allocated to them at the next election on account of their poor performances in both 2015 & 2017. They are also unlikely to qualify for as many PPBs as in recent elections.
    But they will be at the debates, and an appearance at one leaders' debate is potentially worth fifty PPBs. (Indeed, the time has really come to scrap PPBs, which are pointless in the age of social media and multi-channel-TV).
    Why should they attend the debates

They have between 1/3 and 1/4 of the votes of the 2 largest parties. They have less than 10% of the MPs of the 2 largest and are substantially smaller than the SNP and about the same size as the DUP

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Does PB think the bell has tolled for May?
  • Options
    The house feels full of riotous contempt. I like it when the House is like this.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Pulpstar said:
    The EU really is badly advised on domestic UK politics. Got it wrong on Cameron's renegotiation, getting wrong on the Article 50 process. Who's talking to them - our civil service?
    Who`s talking to the EU? Only the people at the top of the Conservative Party, none of whom has a clue about the real world, and all seem to think that whatever they wish for will be given them. Spoilt brats! And they are certainly not well briefed. How about that idiot talking about acquiring Irish nationality! A leading Tory!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    May is gaslighting everyone. That statement bore no relation to reality.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited October 2018

OH MY FUCKING CHRIST

SHE IS ACTUALLY PRETENDING THAT EVERYTHING IS FINE

Please, for the love of jiggling fuck, somebody please VONC her now.

Rather than VONC, better to achieve 48 letters to the 1922 Committee so that a Conservative leader challenge takes place.
  • Options

Seems to have been tolling for a long time. But she is still there
  • Options
    Pound level for the day
  • Options
    Bercow asking for "calm" might just be pissing in the wind today.
  • Options
    And of course we have Corbyn - hopeless beyond hopeless
  • Options

It really is shit or get off the pot. She can't delay reality any longer - the other leaders have already had to be told the UK haven't got anything to talk about at this week's summit. So surely one of a few remaining options

1. Delusion. "I am going to cross my arms and stamp my feet and say "shan't. Then we'll win"
    2. Desperation. "We are going to stay in the EEA/CU and MPs either have to accept this or I will put it to the people"
    3. Resignation. "I cannot reach an agreement that will honour the deal. I am therefore going to Her Majesty at the conclusion of this statement and resign as PM"
    4. Annihilation. "The EU are beasts. There can be no deal and leaving the EU with No Deal is now the policy of this government"

Option 1 it was. At which point does she get removed from the pot to allow Boris Johnson to try and move his bowels instead?
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

That was the clang of a can receiving another desultory kick
  • Options

Ask not for whom the bell tolls.
  • Options
    Oh my, Corbyn is enjoying this.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Turns out Sam Coates was misinformed.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816

She's been well and truly tolled.
  • Options

Bercow asking for "calm" might just be pissing in the wind today.

His Mr X is normally such a reasonable fellow line, please calm down, is so tired, its pathetic.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,668

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

In all circumstances, the United Kingdom will continue to ensure the same unfettered access for Northern Ireland's businesses to the whole of the United Kingdom internal market.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/joint_report.pdf
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

justin124 said:

There is also a case for restricting social media activity but while both parties think they have an advantage there, it won't happen.
    I don't think that's possible, and it's probably not desirable. Social media is the equivalent of the press, not the electronic media in the monopoly era. There was a good argument for having enforced neutrality on the BBC/ITV when they were the only two providers of TV services, and when the BBC dominated the radio; I'm doubtful that there's a good argument any more, other than that changing it could produce a race to the bottom with the likes of Fox News and RT.

That said, regulation of all forms of media is in need of reform and there is a case for bringing all under the same legally-enforceable code.
    The PEB quotas went hand-in-hand with a bar on paid television advertising and spending limits generally and those wheels have come off. Email, Tweets and Likes are effectively free, and Facebook and Youtube videos are in essence targeted television adverts.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

In all circumstances, the United Kingdom will continue to ensure the same unfettered access for Northern Ireland's businesses to the whole of the United Kingdom internal market.

That’s a unilateral commitment on the part of the UK. What does it have to do with the EU?
  • Options

He's still in cake and eat it mode.... which is idiotic.
  • Options
    The blindfold Brexit they are cooking up is a bridge to nowhere... I lost track of the metaphors after that.
  • Options
    Sir Desmond Glazebrook on the front bench for Lab these days...
  • Options

It worked for Leave, why not for Corbyn?
  • Options

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

That’s a unilateral commitment on the part of the UK. What does it have to do with the EU?
    Clearly the UK cannot agree to anything which breaches it.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Corbyn being pretty clear that there is a deal Labour would support.
    Not sure that will play too well with his MPs and supporters who don't want Brexit at all.
  • Options

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Clearly the UK cannot agree to anything which breaches it.
    The UK cannot commit to something that the UK proposed in order to backstop a previous proposal that the UK proposed but cannot commit to.
  • Options

It worked for Leave, why not for Corbyn?
    Ones about winning vote, one's about actually doing it. As we've seen you can't.

So if Corbyn beleives what he said he's both a liar and stupid.

Which he is....
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    DavidL said:

Hey ho.

Its been interesting watching the Irish govt. Normally they dont say much but today has been full of dire warnings. They sound rattled.

Normally they dont have much contact with the DUP, their style is to go over their heads and paddywhack the english. Now they are facing the real McCoy and are having to solve a totally avoidable problem of their own making. The DUP will take more delight in screwing the Irish economy if they can.
  • Options
    Theresa May isn't familiar with the phrase "Nothing is agreed till everything is agreed".

Theresa is an idiot.

Don't be like Theresa.
  • Options
    IDS....

enough of europe for me...
  • Options

DavidL said:

Hey ho.

Its been interesting watching the Irish govt. Normally they dont say much but today has been full of dire warnings. They sound rattled.

Normally they dont have much contact with the DUP, their style is to go over their heads and paddywhack the english. Now they are facing the real McCoy and are having to solve a totally avoidable problem of their own making. The DUP will take more delight in screwing the Irish economy if they can.
    Leo is having dinner with Arlene tonight.....should be fun....
  • Options
    The House is noisy - they simply cannot behave - we deserve better
  • Options
    A boring Scot has just killed the mood.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

It's fine for an opposition - or indeed a third party - until you come up against the reality of government.

There's a reason that most of the cabinet and pretty much all of the shadow cabinet were in favour of Remain, while Leave were led by people who'd by and large never held high national office.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984
    The SNP speaker isn’t going to set the Thames on fire.
  • Options

He is terrible
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

The House is noisy - they simply cannot behave - we deserve better

Agreed. Its embarrassing. Like a class of school children.
  • Options

It seems to be his SNP colleagues gassing the most....
  • Options

He is dull. I miss Angus Robertson.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    Oh for the love of God, no!

She has fucked up royally, is continuing to fuck it up and needs to go.

Sorry for the profanity. But it is just embarrassing what our pitiful political class is doing to us.
    Another damp squib. Another fake moment of crisis. Will it ever end?
  • Options
    Arrrrgggh someone stop this mumbling scot
  • Options

DavidL said:

Hey ho.

Will Arlene ask for Cheddar Cheese and Pineapple on a stick? 😂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEsFtiruIok
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

DavidL said:

Hey ho.

Menu

Assiette de merde

Crow with bitter herbs

Humble Pie - no sweetners

• Options
    Boris talking and the House is out of control

I just despair
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    Raab, in his body language, is less than wholehearted in his support for the PM.
  • Options
    The bench around Hilary Benn looks like an alternative front bench. Sigh
  • Options
    May still has not let the word "Chequers" pass her lips.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Whether her government survives that announcement remains to be seen. Will Labour ask for a vote of no confidence? They probably should.

Who might vote against the Gov't if Labour do ask for the vote ?
    Tory MPs who think a no deal outcome is completely against the national interest and should not be the policy of the government. I'm thinking Clarke, Soubry, Grieve, etc. It really won't take many.
    Clarke has fought against socialism his entire life. He’s not going to help usher it in now
  • Options

Of course not. Its long since died and been dropped.
  • Options

I dont think she will use the word again
  • Options
    Freggles said:

First one to ask a decent question too.....
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

An SNP speaker would need subtitles.
  • Options
    Amber Rudd talking sense. At least a grown up
  • Options
    Freggles said:

An intelligent question from him. It kinda stands out.
  • Options
    TM put down Vince. He is so hopeless
  • Options
    Lol @ Dodds behind Strong and
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

An SNP speaker would need subtitles.
    Not for me fortunately
  • Options
    Government benches noticeably fuller than the opposition's - though of course some of the Scottish MPs will have had further to travel, so may not have been able to get back in time.
  • Options
    Cash for questions.
  • Options
    Really stupid question from the zombie.

Quelle surprise, as our continental friends might say.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Sounds like the Government have pulled all business after the ministerial statements - the first (well latest) sign of the parliamentary party fragmenting?
  • Options

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

They agreed to no barriers between NI and the rest of the UK
  • Options
    Another intelligent question by Yvette Cooper. There is talent in the Labour party, its just not on the front bench.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Has Theresa May resigned yet? :D
  • Options
    Nigel Dodds heard in near silence - clearly worth paying attention to.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Sounds like the Government have pulled all business after the ministerial statements - the first (well latest) sign of the parliamentary party fragmenting?

No, just that May is going to be answering questions for hours yet.
  • Options
    Anna Soubry not looking very happy.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anna Soubry not looking very happy.

I think that is her default position
This discussion has been closed.