Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Many Democrats are viewing the November 6th Midterms in same w

Comments

• AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rpjs said:

Alistair said:

Never mind that it was not intended that Senators be elected by popular vote.

appointment of Senators by state legislators had widely come to be seen to be corrupt.
    Feature not a bug. Or something.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

An unintended and negative consequence of a feature is still a bug.

It wasn't what the founders had in mind. They disapproved of faction (or at least, or organised faction), never mind Party, and the kind of triangulation you're talking about there is certainly not an 18th century way of thinking.

Whenever people try and laud the intellect of the American Founders I like to bring up their desire to wish away political parties as an example of their naive idiocy.
    To be fair, it wasn't completely naive. There weren't (AFAIK) any permanent parties in America pre-1789: those that arose did so around specific issues and tended to break up when that issue subsided. British politics at the time, and for 50 years or so, had been marked more by factions of Whigs with smatterings of Independents rather than what we would recognise today as party politics (the Queen Anne era Tory/Whig division had long since fallen into irrelevance as that Stuart Toryism became badly tainted with Jacobitism).

By and large, the Founding Fathers did a pretty good job and there were some outstanding individuals. Didn't get everything right though and made the odd shocker, such as making the runner-up in a presidential election the vice-president.
    No, I think the 2nd place gets vice president was awesome and they should definitely revert to doing that.
    Hillary Clinton would have the deciding senate vote !
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

timmo said:
    Ernest Saunders, that’s one.

I can name more if you’d like.
    I'm surprised you're here and sober given the day.
    Well.

I found out the MD of my new firm is French.

This will be awkward.

I only popped on here to reply to a message, now back to Agincourt Day celebrations.

Personally speaking Waterloo, Trafalgar, and Mers-el-Kébir do it more for me.
    How much due diligence did you do?
    I did a cursory check, and now I’m doing the detailed due diligence.
    Well, I hope this firm does proper due diligence on the people it employs before it offers them a job.

It's one of my bugbears. Most of the crooks I've had to deal with had warning signs in their background, CVs etc that should have been picked up but weren't because.... well, because people saw it as a tick box exercise and outsourced it to a 14 year old somewhere in Poland and, more importantly, because the people at the top don't realise that the single most important quality to look for is the right character, the right moral character, judgment, whatever you want to call it.

So they ignored the warning signs and then rued the enormous losses and egg on faces several years later. Twits.
    edited October 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

It wasn't what the founders had in mind. They disapproved of faction (or at least, or organised faction), never mind Party, and the kind of triangulation you're talking about there is certainly not an 18th century way of thinking.

Whenever people try and laud the intellect of the American Founders I like to bring up their desire to wish away political parties as an example of their naive idiocy.
    To be fair, it wasn't completely naive. There weren't (AFAIK) any permanent parties in America pre-1789: those that arose did so around specific issues and tended to break up when that issue subsided. British politics at the time, and for 50 years or so, had been marked more by factions of Whigs with smatterings of Independents rather than what we would recognise today as party politics (the Queen Anne era Tory/Whig division had long since fallen into irrelevance as that Stuart Toryism became badly tainted with Jacobitism).

By and large, the Founding Fathers did a pretty good job and there were some outstanding individuals. Didn't get everything right though and made the odd shocker, such as making the runner-up in a presidential election the vice-president.
    No, I think the 2nd place gets vice president was awesome and they should definitely revert to doing that.
    Hillary Clinton would have the deciding senate vote !
    Fair and equitable as the founders intended.

Checks and balances.
    In case Trump's tweets seem particularly angry today. It is the first day of the slam dunk NY case against the Trump Foundation

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1055451104404758530?s=19
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,777
    currystar said:

Totally O/T, my experience of the NHS today. My friend whis 72 and lives alone was diagnosed with prostate cancer. On Tuesday I dropped him off at the QA hospital in Portsmouth as he was having his prostate removed. He had a five hour operation. I spoke to him yesterday at Lunchtime and he sounded shot away and visited him last night. He said that the nurses had been hassling all day trying to discharge him. He has two incisions on his belly one four inch and one three inch. He has a catheter fitted and a piss bag attached to his leg. So one day after 5 hours of surgery to remove his prostrate they wanted to send him home. It was only his pleading of the pain he was in what stopped them. This morning at 7 am the nurse made him get dressed and wheeled him to the discharge lounge. They gaive him 30 syringes and told him to inject himself daily for 30 days. He called me to pick him up. They have moved the discharge lounge at the QA to the 4th floor, but have not told anyone. I asked 13 NHS workers before finally someone told me where to go. There was my mate sat by himself. As he stood up he winced in anquish, he was in horrendous pain, hardly surprising as his belly had been opened up less than 48 hours before. There was no one to ask for a wheelchair so my mate had to walk over 500 meters to the exit, (They could not have put the Discharge Lounge in a worse place) and then up steps to the car. He is not someone who shows emotion but he had tears in his eyes as he was walking the pain was so bad. His two wounds on his belly were leaking blood. The only aftercare he is getting is an appointment in 10 days to have his catheter removed. No visits have been arranged from a district nurse and no one from the hospital is going to call him to see how he is.

So just two days afer major life changing surgery he is alone at his house in terrible pain trying to work out how to empty his piss bag and having to inject himself.

This is the NHS in 2018, apparently they are all heroes.

Just had my first ever CT scan which was an interesting experience. Now waiting to be seen to discuss what was found in the day ward where I spent 5 hours yesterday. This place is not exactly a hive of activity.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited October 2018
    Foxy said:

The problem is the number of beds. This leads to premature discharge of recovering patients.

I agree it is poor care, but we do not have the bed or nursing numbers to keep patients in while they recover. If your friend was kept in, then someone elses prostate cancer operation would be cancelled.

It is only going to get worse. Our winter bed crisis is now year round.

The problem is not the number of beds.

I recently had experience of a friend who went in to hospital with a condition that needed admittance under blue lights to a stroke unit. After a CT scan, an MRI was performed. They ruled out a stroke but had to wait for a radiographer (?) to look at the MRI. They waited for 72 hours without said radiographer looking at the MRI and then, as all seemed to be well, the friend self-discharged. All the time they were in a much needed bed and tbf the nurses were as powerless as anyone else in getting any report that the ward doctor could act on.

I can't believe this is an isolated example and hence there is not a shortage of beds. There is either a shortage of radiographers, or there is a shortage of radiographers who can manage their workload, or there is a woefully bad process for radiographers to come to examine MRI scans.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,585
    I notice Belgium has just chosen to buy the F-35 rather than the Eurofighter - on grounds of cost.
    Interesting.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    Afternoon all :)

As no two days are the same so are no two people's experience with the NHS it would seem.

I didn't realise Mr Eagles had changed jobs - I didn't know he had a job - I don't even know what he does for a living - I met him once (I think).

I don't know who has been named and what they have supposedly done. I don't think I care that much.

As for Newport West, the UKIP rise mirrored the LD fall in 2015 which makes the whole UKIP-CON vote move much more and less than it appears. Last time the UKIP vote collapsed to both LAB and CON who got over 90% of the vote between them.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2018
    errrhhh cough bullshit cough....a brief look at her twitter feed and you get what her views are...apparently all whiteys, especially men, are ignorant racists.

errrhhh cough bullshit cough....a brief look at her twitter feed and you get what her views are.
    I don't know - seems fair enough.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Urquhart, you might very well think that. I'm afraid I couldn't possibly comment.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

timmo said:

Well.

This will be awkward.

I only popped on here to reply to a message, now back to Agincourt Day celebrations.

Well, I hope this firm does proper due diligence on the people it employs before it offers them a job.

It's one of my bugbears. Most of the crooks I've had to deal with had warning signs in their background, CVs etc that should have been picked up but weren't because.... well, because people saw it as a tick box exercise and outsourced it to a 14 year old somewhere in Poland and, more importantly, because the people at the top don't realise that the single most important quality to look for is the right character, the right moral character, judgment, whatever you want to call it.

So they ignored the warning signs and then rued the enormous losses and egg on faces several years later. Twits.
    Intriguing. What sort of things are the warning signs you look for?
  • currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

The problem is the number of beds. This leads to premature discharge of recovering patients.

I agree it is poor care, but we do not have the bed or nursing numbers to keep patients in while they recover. If your friend was kept in, then someone elses prostate cancer operation would be cancelled.

I recently had experience of a friend who went in to hospital with a condition that needed admittance under blue lights to a stroke unit. After a CT scan, an MRI was performed. They ruled out a stroke but had to wait for a radiographer (?) to look at the MRI. They waited for 72 hours without said radiographer looking at the MRI and then, as all seemed to be well, the friend self-discharged. All the time they were in a much needed bed and tbf the nurses were as powerless as anyone else in getting any report that the ward doctor could act on.

I can't believe this is an isolated example and hence there is not a shortage of beds. There is either a shortage of radiographers, or there is a shortage of radiographers who can manage their workload, or there is a woefully bad process for radiographers to come to examine MRI scans.
    There were planty of spare beds on the ward, its a massive hospital but it did not seem that busy. My friend was the only person in the discharge lounge. I have just called him, he has had to call his local surgery and the doctor is coming out to see him this afternoon.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

errrhhh cough bullshit cough....a brief look at her twitter feed and you get what her views are...apparently all whiteys, especially men, are ignorant racists.
    We should take apologies at face value. At the very least, she has recognised that her previous views were not suitable for public consumption.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,405
    Regarding #Greengate I guessed the wrong person. My bias clouded my judgement on this one.
  • errrhhh cough bullshit cough....a brief look at her twitter feed and you get what her views are...apparently all whiteys, especially men, are ignorant racists.
    We should take apologies at face value. At the very least, she has recognised that her previous views were not suitable for public consumption.
    Yes, it seems a gracious enough apology.
  • errrhhh cough bullshit cough....a brief look at her twitter feed and you get what her views are...apparently all whiteys, especially men, are ignorant racists.
    It would have more standing if the rest of her twitter feed wasn't a diatribe of tweets along similar lines. It is just that she is such a moron that has got caught putting those views onto about something she didn't realize what it actually was.
    It does however use the 'word' firstly, which invalidates everything after word zero.
    edited October 2018

Regarding #Greengate I guessed the wrong person. My bias clouded my judgement on this one.

Likewise. My guess had more facial hair.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

It does however use the 'word' firstly, which invalidates everything after word zero.
    Firstly, "firstly" is a perfectly sensible word

Secondly, it is often followed by "secondly"
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    currystar said:

Totally O/T, my experience of the NHS today. My friend whis 72 and lives alone was diagnosed with prostate cancer. On Tuesday I dropped him off at the QA hospital in Portsmouth as he was having his prostate removed. He had a five hour operation. I spoke to him yesterday at Lunchtime and he sounded shot away and visited him last night. He said that the nurses had been hassling all day trying to discharge him. He has two incisions on his belly one four inch and one three inch. He has a catheter fitted and a piss bag attached to his leg. So one day after 5 hours of surgery to remove his prostrate they wanted to send him home. It was only his pleading of the pain he was in what stopped them. This morning at 7 am the nurse made him get dressed and wheeled him to the discharge lounge. They gaive him 30 syringes and told him to inject himself daily for 30 days. He called me to pick him up. They have moved the discharge lounge at the QA to the 4th floor, but have not told anyone. I asked 13 NHS workers before finally someone told me where to go. There was my mate sat by himself. As he stood up he winced in anquish, he was in horrendous pain, hardly surprising as his belly had been opened up less than 48 hours before. There was no one to ask for a wheelchair so my mate had to walk over 500 meters to the exit, (They could not have put the Discharge Lounge in a worse place) and then up steps to the car. He is not someone who shows emotion but he had tears in his eyes as he was walking the pain was so bad. His two wounds on his belly were leaking blood. The only aftercare he is getting is an appointment in 10 days to have his catheter removed. No visits have been arranged from a district nurse and no one from the hospital is going to call him to see how he is.

So just two days afer major life changing surgery he is alone at his house in terrible pain trying to work out how to empty his piss bag and having to inject himself.

This is the NHS in 2018, apparently they are all heroes.

I believe it is normal to discharge from that operation within 1-3 days depending on how the patient feels.. I cannot speak for the other points regarding his symptoms, etc you mention - my information is from a private health hospital in Spain.
    edited October 2018

Doesn't mean your guess (whoever it was) might not also be correct. Like Green, there are published stories of other well known tycoons acting inappropriately.

What is surprising to me is that the core elements of Telegraph story has previously been published in the Times and in a book. It is all rather odd. Either it is the another example of the Streisand effect or there is something else going on.
    edited October 2018
    currystar said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

There were planty of spare beds on the ward, its a massive hospital but it did not seem that busy. My friend was the only person in the discharge lounge. I have just called him, he has had to call his local surgery and the doctor is coming out to see him this afternoon.
    I sometimes wonder if it is a crutch (!) for NHS people to trot out the "beds shortage" line because they know that lifting the rock on what the underlying causes are would be an exposé too far.
  • steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    It was revealing that yesterday Nick Palmer said that he could only think of the names of 2 prominent businessmen. As Sugar, Ashley, Branson, Bannatyne and Green immediately spring to mind in such context maybe it tells us something about Labour and its interest in business (other than as a cash cow).
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

timmo said:

Well.

This will be awkward.

Great that you've got a new firm already.

Yes perhaps gloss over your long held hatred of the French and emphasise your impeccable EU credentials.
    The ERG have radicalised me into becoming a federalist.
    The loonier Brexiteers did the same for me. The govt's atrocious handling of the Brexit process was merely icing on the cake of my conversion.
    So true impossible to believe that I approached the whole thing with an open mind.

Problem is, with a bit of digging, together with the loons lining up on the, er, loon side, it became a no-brainer.
    Indeed. I am considering some quiet out of the way spot with cr*p communications.

I must ask Cyclefree about Cumbia :D
    - Bloody good WiFi communications here, at least in my neck of the woods.
    - Beach is gorgeous.
    - Mountains ditto. Black Combe is lovely and not trampled over by tourists.
    - Good pubs roundabout.
    - The estuary is spectacular. The views of the moon over the estuary are amazing.
    - Fantastic club in our local small town which gets all the comedians doing their pre-tours tours.
    - Proper butchers.
    - You can see the sky and stars at night.
    - LOTS of sheep. (And no silly Americans shooting them, either.)
    - The Ulverston Music Festival
    - The road over the fells leading down into the Duddon estuary is one of the most beautiful in the whole UK, whatever the weather or season.
    - People talk to each other

And once Cyclefree Towers is completed, friends and nice people can come and stay. Lots of space so no-one need talk to me and can instead admire garden etc and have proper sleeps.

Really, don't all rush at once - :)
    Sounds heavenly! Of course, one hesitates to assert one's own niceness, but should we meet the Cyclefree Niceness threshold, do feel free to pop us on the waiting list ;).

If it’s not it is somewhat superfluous.
    Mr. Topping/Mr. Meeks, generally, I'd agree. However:
    https://twitter.com/CDP1882/status/1055401695805612033

Adam Smith constantly uses "First.....and secondly..."

And if it is good enough for him, it's good enough for me.
    DavidL said:

More important than all the bollocks we've been talking today, I hope all is well with you and that the scans yield nothing of note.
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

More important than all the bollocks we've been talking today, I hope all is well with you and that the scans yield nothing of note.
    Thanks. Much appreciated.
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,921
    A bumper round of by-elections today. There are Conservative defences in South Derbyshire, Suffolk, Hertfordshire, Sutton, East Dorset, and Mendip ( though this was a Conservative elected as a LibDem). There are Labour defences in North Lanarkshire and Basingstoke. I expect some gains and losses.
    "a Conservative elected as a LibDem" Ho ho ! Hijinks in local Gov't.

It was revealing that yesterday Nick Palmer said that he could only think of the names of 2 prominent businessmen. As Sugar, Ashley, Branson, Bannatyne and Green immediately spring to mind in such context maybe it tells us something about Labour and its interest in business (other than as a cash cow).

Also Dyson, and the Wetherspoons Brexiteer, recently in the news...

She's a student, Morris, and students are allowed to do crazy, offensive things; that's that free speech we keep hearing about. She has issued a fulsome apology and if she was completely insincere in issuing it, that's between her and her conscience.

What would you do with her? Have her resign?
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Future citizens will look back at this time and wonder why these numpties were indulged.

edited October 2018
    TOPPING said:

She's a student, Morris, and students are allowed to do crazy, offensive things; that's that free speech we keep hearing about. She has issued a fulsome apology and if she was completely insincere in issuing it, that's between her and her conscience.

These days Union presidents aren't students. It is a full time paid role during which they don't do any studying (in fact most apply for the role for the year after their studies have finished).
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776
    edited October 2018

It would have more standing if the rest of her twitter feed wasn't a diatribe of tweets along similar lines. It is just that she is such a moron that has got caught putting those views onto about something she didn't realize what it actually was.
    Hopefully, she's taken the first step towards maturity. When people acknowledge they've been wrong, that should be welcomed.
  • TOPPING said:

walk of shame, complete with bell.
    TOPPING said:

It's freedom of speech to b able to call such actions 'sick' too on twitter should one wish. Morris hasn't declared that the state (Or one of the big internet corporations) should gag her !
    Mr. Topping, perhaps. If I were in her corner I'd suggest some sort of Remembrance-related act of contrition (fund-raising for the British Legion, helping to work on a new painting etc).

She's not just a student, but a grown woman who was gleefully contemplating desecrating artwork commemorating men who gave their lives fighting for this nation.

Still, I think we need to hear from Godfrey Elfwick to truly know what should happen next.
    Pulpstar said:

In Bish we had a UKIP mayor elected as Labour!
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2018
    Well, of course, it makes perfect sense to think that those poor sods who were gassed and blown to smithereens in rat-infested trenches were beneficiaries of white male privilege.

TOPPING said:

These days Union presidents aren't students. It is a full time paid role during which they don't do any studying (in fact most apply for the role for the year after their studies have finished).
    Wonder what % of students at Soton voted for her. Single % figures I'd wager.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Pulpstar said:

What a marvelous chap/chapess... a model councillor. The TPD could learn or thing or two from them. :smiley:
    edited October 2018

Mr. Topping, perhaps. If I were in her corner I'd suggest some sort of Remembrance-related act of contrition (fund-raising for the British Legion, helping to work on a new painting etc).

She's not just a student, but a grown woman who was gleefully contemplating desecrating artwork commemorating men who gave their lives fighting for this nation.

Still, I think we need to hear from Godfrey Elfwick to truly know what should happen next.

There was a recent Freakonomics episode on apologises. Aside from the interesting academic studies from Uber and medical profession, there was a great tale of a guy in the US, who mocked a Jewish boy crying on twitter that got totally blow out of all proportion.

His response was a very personal apology AND giving up his free time to work at Jewish run foodbanks.
  • Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

timmo said:

Reminds me of a joke.

How come Saunders got 5 years, Parnes got 30 months and Ronson only got 12 months?

Because naturally Ronson got the lighter sentence.

That still strikes me as ignorance.
    Nigelb said:

It’s actually a bit depressing how many well known business men and women there are in this country, especially if you focus on serious business people rather than TV personalities. Who is the MD of Jaguar Cars or any of our pharma companies, for example? If we had more respect for business people we would have a better and stronger economy.
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

It’s actually a bit depressing how many well known business men and women there are in this country, especially if you focus on serious business people rather than TV personalities. Who is the MD of Jaguar Cars or any of our pharma companies, for example? If we had more respect for business people we would have a better and stronger economy.
    Sounds like a bit of a two way street to me.
    Is Mr ABC not a "former" businessman ?
    edited October 2018
    TGOHF said:

TOPPING said:

I have said on here before. In my experience of visiting uni campuses / talking to academics. More than ever, the vast majority of students don't have any interest in his nonsense (or SU politics in general), they are far too concerned with staying out of trouble, getting their 2:1 and a place on a graduate scheme.

The problem is that the small percentage who do take up these type of positions have extreme views and generally a pain in the arse.
    Mr. Alistair, I think that's generous to a fault.

But then, there's huge historical ignorance around. Just look at the crowds of fools who march under Stalin banners. "Yay! Quotas for executions and slave labour!"

It beggars belief.
  • What's the legal position regarding repeating comments made under parliamentary privilege?

The Guardian, BBC, and Sky have named him so we’ll let PBers discuss it.

However if any one goes too far, we’ll withdraw that privilege.

Cf Ryan Giggs.
    I would be interested if any lawyers are around to advise on this. As I said earlier, the qualified privilege to report on what Hain has said, under absolute, applies iirc only to news outfits.

The relevant legislation (Defamation Act 1996 s15) covers any fair and accurate report of public proceedings in Parliament (and, indeed, any other legislature anywhere in the world). It does not limit the protection to news organisations.

Well, of course, it makes perfect sense to think that those poor sods who were gassed and blown to smithereens in rat-infested trenches were beneficiaries of white male privilege.

I'm sure your student days were free of any asinine comments or behaviour.

Although I take the point that apparently she is no longer a student.

Dear god man it is precisely to defend the right of whatever her name is of Southampton University to be an idiot that @Casino_Royale has threatened to join up!
  • TGOHF said:

TOPPING said:

I have said on here before. In my experience of visiting uni campuses / talking to academics. More than ever, the vast majority of students don't have any interest in his nonsense (or SU politics in general), they are far too concerned with staying out of trouble, getting their 2:1 and a place on a graduate scheme.

The problem is that the small percentage who do take up these type of positions have extreme views and generally a pain in the arse.
    I lecture at one of the universities with simultaneously one of the poorer and one of the more diverse cohorts. By and large, this observation is true. I would go so far as to say its the most apolitical student body I have ever taught.

When I was a student, the OUSU lot were properly right-on, to the point of irrelevance.

• What's the legal position regarding repeating comments made under parliamentary privilege?

Cf Ryan Giggs.
    I would be interested if any lawyers are around to advise on this. As I said earlier, the qualified privilege to report on what Hain has said, under absolute, applies iirc only to news outfits.

The relevant legislation (Defamation Act 1996 s15) covers any fair and accurate report of public proceedings in Parliament (and, indeed, any other legislature anywhere in the world). It does not limit the protection to news organisations.
    We don't (just) need protection from defamation, we need protection from contempt of court
  • oh yeah, on this.

1. she can say it.

2. people can tell her she's a moron. The best response is a soldier with some link to the university inviting her to the remembrance parade he will be attending.

3. if we don't tell her she's a moron, she'll carry on being a moron. this nonsense *spreads*

• Alternatively the Democrats could figure out how to appeal to rural states. Which is what the founders basically had in mind when they put this in.

Feature not bug as its by design. Bugs are unintended.

It isn't an unintended consequence though it is a designed consequence. Yes they disapproved of factions but by design they wanted the interests of small states protected from the interests of large ones. By design Wyoming is not less important than California for the Senate. That is a design feature not a bug.
    I do wish people would use the word "wrong" rather than "inappropriate". The latter is when you eat fish with a steak knife or wear thick opaque tights with patent shoes. Even the words "silly" or "foolish" or "stupid" would have been better.

"Inappropriate" just sounds as if it was nearly OK but not quite and not really bad at all, not really.
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

If the business people who pay themselves eye-watering salaries had more respect for the rest of society we would have a better and stronger economy.

Plus they would earn some respect for themselves.
  • volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Democratic party polling-After pulling narrowly ahead in many of these states a few weeks ago, they have now slipped behind by a single point or two in all of them:

Georgia
    Missouri
    Arizona
    Indiana
    Texas
    47-48
    42-43
    46-47
    44-45
    47-49

"It's clear that Republican super PAC money is moving the needle in these states. GOP billionaire Sheldon Adelson has now single-handedly pumped more than $100 million into late waves of attack ads in states like these – and more right-wing ads are going up every single day!"
    edited October 2018

Sorry phone messed that up.

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

If the business people who pay themselves eye-watering salaries had more respect for the rest of society we would have a better and stronger economy.

We don’t have enough interest in business. We seem to have endless interest in which “celebrity “ is sleeping with whom and other endless trivia. If we valued our business people and took more of an interest in what they do some of the valid concerns you have stated might also get more sunlight.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited October 2018
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

timmo said:

Well.

This will be awkward.

I was asked to do a series of ads at a department store. A couple of weeks before a lady who worked with difficult youngsters asked if I could take one of them for a month. I said fine and the next day Wayne arrived. When the agency creative came to my studio to talk about the job Wayne let slip that the "D E INNOCENT" graffiti all over town was his father who had been 'wrongly' accused of an armed robbery at the store I was going to work in.

Later that day I got a call from the creative director telling me that under no circumstances could Wayne go on the shoot. i told him that I would bring whoever I wanted -which would include Wayne-and I was shocked that he would hold the son guilty for the actions of his father. I did the job and took Wayne with me.

Two weeks later Wayne took an expensive piece of equipment of mine and the creative director didn't work with me for a long while afterwards. But Sometimes doing the right thing feels more important than doing what's sensible.

Democratic party polling-After pulling narrowly ahead in many of these states a few weeks ago, they have now slipped behind by a single point or two in all of them:

Georgia
    Missouri
    Arizona
    Indiana
    Texas
    47-48
    42-43
    46-47
    44-45
    47-49

"It's clear that Republican super PAC money is moving the needle in these states. GOP billionaire Sheldon Adelson has now single-handedly pumped more than $100 million into late waves of attack ads in states like these – and more right-wing ads are going up every single day!"

The blue wave does seem to have hit a sandbank of money.
    rpjs said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Intriguing. What sort of things are the warning signs you look for?
    - Lies, of any kind, however small. Amazingly frequent. Usually ignored on the grounds that they are only small or unimportant lies. I usually asked: "So, if they were prepared to lie about something important, what gave you confidence that they wouldn't lie about something important?" I then waited. Sometimes for quite a long time.
    - Whistleblowing or warnings by former colleagues. (There was one for one very famous prisoner and it makes your eyes goggle to think that it was ignored.)
    - Any discrepancy in names / registration at addresses / in the credit checks etc.
    - Evidence of being bad with money e.g. gambling debts
    - Previous criminal convictions
    - Applicants repeatedly promising you documents and then claiming that they don't have them.
    - Unexplained periods when they are doing nothing. It's not the doing nothing that matters but what they tell you about it. If someone has been ill that's fine but if they won't tell you or tell you bullshit that can be an issue.
    - People claiming that they have done this that and the other but leaving no digital trace. Unusual. Bullshit - as opposed to actual lies - can be a problem.
    - Previous disciplinary issues. Again, people can get past this but you need to assess whether they have learnt and moved on or whether they are still in denial.

Oh and interviews need to be taken seriously. None of this:"Tell me about your brilliant CV" nonsense.
  • Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

timmo said:

Well.

This will be awkward.

I was asked to do a series of ads at a department store. A couple of weeks before a lady who worked with difficult youngsters asked if I could take one of them for a month. I said fine and the next day Wayne arrived. When the agency creative came to my studio to talk about the job Wayne let slip that the "D E INNOCENT" graffiti all over town was his father who had been 'wrongly' accused of an armed robbery at the store I was going to work in.

Later that day I got a call from the creative director telling me that under no circumstances could Wayne go on the shoot. i told him that I would bring whoever I wanted -which would include Wayne-and I was shocked that he would hold the son guilty for the actions of his father. I did the job and took Wayne with me.

Two weeks later Wayne took an expensive piece of equipment of mine and the creative director didn't work with me for a long while afterwards. But Sometimes doing the right thing feels more important than doing what's sensible.
    What you have done there is Not the Right Thing.

• Cyclefree said:

I do wish people would use the word "wrong" rather than "inappropriate". The latter is when you eat fish with a steak knife or wear thick opaque tights with patent shoes. Even the words "silly" or "foolish" or "stupid" would have been better.

"Inappropriate" just sounds as if it was nearly OK but not quite and not really bad at all, not really.
    I'm looking forward to Rod and Brendan's take in The Spectator: lauding the right to be offensive and berating the vindictive mania of Twitter mobs.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Same surname but no relation - he appears to have made very different life choices to me:

https://twitter.com/oliviasolon/status/1055470242720186368
    DavidL said:

Georgia
    Missouri
    Arizona
    Indiana
    Texas
    47-48
    42-43
    46-47
    44-45
    47-49

It's another irregular verb

WE grassroots fundraise.
    THEY spend dark money.

Cyclefree said:

I'm looking forward to Rod and Brendan's take in The Spectator: lauding the right to be offensive and berating the vindictive mania of Twitter mobs.
    Not sure anyone is suggesting she should be banned or jailed for tweeting nonsense.

But we can all point fingers and laugh at her stupidity.

• DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

We don’t have enough interest in business. We seem to have endless interest in which “celebrity “ is sleeping with whom and other endless trivia. If we valued our business people and took more of an interest in what they do some of the valid concerns you have stated might also get more sunlight.
    There seemed to be quite a lot of interest in that £50m bonus Persimmon guy, nothing to do with any celebrity or shagging as far as I could see. Unfortunately he was completely uninterested in talking about what he does.
  • archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

What's the legal position regarding repeating comments made under parliamentary privilege?

Cf Ryan Giggs.

Hain's behaviour was a disgrace. Parliamentary privilege is designed to allow freedom of speech in Parliament in particular to avoid circumstances where members are sued for defamation for making comments in good faith or to stop politicians suing each other.

It does not exist to allow showboating little turds to superimpose their judgement over that of the Courts.

I hope, although I do not expect, that the Court of Appeal finds that Parliamentary Privilege is not an unlimited right to commit Contempt of Court (which is what he has done) and jails him.
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Georgia
    Missouri
    Arizona
    Indiana
    Texas
    47-48
    42-43
    46-47
    44-45
    47-49

WE grassroots fundraise.
    THEY spend dark money.
    True. In September it was all about how the Democrats were massively out raising the Republicans.
    John_M said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:
    The ERG have radicalised me into becoming a federalist.
    The loonier Brexiteers did the same for me. The govt's atrocious handling of the Brexit process was merely icing on the cake of my conversion.
    So true impossible to believe that I approached the whole thing with an open mind.

Problem is, with a bit of digging, together with the loons lining up on the, er, loon side, it became a no-brainer.
    Indeed. I am considering some quiet out of the way spot with cr*p communications.

I must ask Cyclefree about Cumbia :D
    - Bloody good WiFi communications here, at least in my neck of the woods.
    - Beach is gorgeous.
    - Mountains ditto. Black Combe is lovely and not trampled over by tourists.
    - Good pubs roundabout.
    - The estuary is spectacular. The views of the moon over the estuary are amazing.
    - Fantastic club in our local small town which gets all the comedians doing their pre-tours tours.
    - Proper butchers.
    - You can see the sky and stars at night.
    - LOTS of sheep. (And no silly Americans shooting them, either.)
    - The Ulverston Music Festival
    - The road over the fells leading down into the Duddon estuary is one of the most beautiful in the whole UK, whatever the weather or season.
    - People talk to each other

And once Cyclefree Towers is completed, friends and nice people can come and stay. Lots of space so no-one need talk to me and can instead admire garden etc and have proper sleeps.

Really, don't all rush at once - :)
    Sounds heavenly! Of course, one hesitates to assert one's own niceness, but should we meet the Cyclefree Niceness threshold, do feel free to pop us on the waiting list ;).
    Of course! Once it is all completed and fit for visitors I will be proudly showing it off.

Long term I want to get my garden open under the NGS. I have several years in which to learn to bake scones people will willingly eat.......

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

There seemed to be quite a lot of interest in that £50m bonus Persimmon guy, nothing to do with any celebrity or shagging as far as I could see. Unfortunately he was completely uninterested in talking about what he does.
    Was there? It seemed to be a 5 minute wonder to me.
  • FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

What's the legal position regarding repeating comments made under parliamentary privilege?

Cf Ryan Giggs.

Hain's behaviour was a disgrace. Parliamentary privilege is designed to allow freedom of speech in Parliament in particular to avoid circumstances where members are sued for defamation for making comments in good faith or to stop politicians suing each other.

It does not exist to allow showboating little turds to superimpose their judgement over that of the Courts.

I hope, although I do not expect, that the Court of Appeal finds that Parliamentary Privilege is not an unlimited right to commit Contempt of Court (which is what he has done) and jails him.
    Bollocks. If anyone deserves what they get it's Green.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,044
    This is interesting in the Telegraph, on the law and recent ruling:

"On Tuesday, in the latest twist in a legal fight which began in July, the court ruled that the confidentiality of contracts was more important than freedom of speech. It overturned a previous High Court ruling – which can now be reported for the first time – which found that publication of the allegations would be overwhelmingly in the public interest and would significantly contribute to debate in a democratic society."

Cf Ryan Giggs.

The decision of the Court of Appeal was both idiotic and troubling.

Cf Ryan Giggs.

Hold up, the other day you were banging on about courts won't interfere with Parliamentary procedure.
    Mr. Pulpstar, ha. There'd be some good ones in history.

The Gauls are war mongers.
    The Romans bring peace.
    edited October 2018
    Or more correctly...people search twitter and other people are smeared in the process. If you do a twitter search there are at least another two individuals who are consistently (incorrectly) named as the person who took out this injunction.
  • Am old enough to remember the Trafigura super injunction.

Georgia
    Missouri
    Arizona
    Indiana
    Texas
    47-48
    42-43
    46-47
    44-45
    47-49

That's very lucky for the Dems. That's the kind of polling that makes complacent Dem activists pull their finger out, donate and go canvas.

Very fortuitous.

Am old enough to remember the Trafigura super injunction.

Another disgraceful decision. It is really long past time Parliament clipped the wings of the courts in respect of these orders.

And you don’t have to be that old to remember that TSE.
    DavidL said:

Cf Ryan Giggs.

The decision of the Court of Appeal was both idiotic and troubling.
    It was nothing of the sort. Firstly, it was an interim decision, not a final determination. Secondly, the CoA quite rightly pointed out the problems with being able to override non disclosure agreements. In most litigation, if an NDA is not enforceable, getting a settlement will become far less practical. In employment law, it may encourage well resourced business executives and companies to simply fight every complaint into the ground rather than make a settlement that both sides accept. Since many of these cases in fact involve differing interpretations of facts and often a lack of corroborating evidence, there is every chance that getting rid of the NDA may mean that victims are unable to practically obtain a settlement and compensation and will lack the financial resources to fight their cases to Court.

The CoA simply said that this matter needed to be heard and considered properly to determine a final position.

If parliamentarians suddenly (because there are press headlines) don't like the application of NDA's, they can pass a new law. But Hain's behaviour, putting himself above the Court of Appeal, is unacceptable and he needs to be removed from the Lords immediately.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,714

Georgia
    Missouri
    Arizona
    Indiana
    Texas
    47-48
    42-43
    46-47
    44-45
    47-49

3/5 of those states are GOP Senate held anyway and all of them.voted for Romney let alone Trump so it was always a big ask for the Democrats to take them
    Fenman said:

Cf Ryan Giggs.

Bollocks. If anyone deserves what they get it's Green.
    And this is why we have Courts, not internet forums and stupid Lords, to determine these matters. You currently have no idea as to the strength or otherwise of the allegations. However, it does appear that at least some of the people who accepted a settlement did not want to breach the NDA.
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Georgia
    Missouri
    Arizona
    Indiana
    Texas
    47-48
    42-43
    46-47
    44-45
    47-49

WE grassroots fundraise.
    THEY spend dark money.
    True. In September it was all about how the Democrats were massively out raising the Republicans.
    In this case, the many vs. the few is actually accurate.
  • DavidL said:

Another disgraceful decision. It is really long past time Parliament clipped the wings of the courts in respect of these orders.

I know, was more aimed at Archer, who clearly doesn't follow our legal system(s).

Cf Ryan Giggs.

Hold up, the other day you were banging on about courts won't interfere with Parliamentary procedure.
    They probably won't here, as I said. But Hain committed Contempt of Court, which is a criminal not a civil matter. I do wonder if parliamentary privilege is absolute. Parliamentarians cannot be above the law.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Cf Ryan Giggs.

I agree. Too many people going around destroying the reputation of well known people. I met one recently who had been to Hell and back. Public humiliation is much underestimated and often it is completely disproportionate.

'Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
    'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
    But he that filches from me my good name
    Robs me of that which not enriches him,
    And makes me poor indeed.

DavidL said:

I know, was more aimed at Archer, who clearly doesn't follow our legal system(s).
    There is a clear difference between injunctions granted on 'privacy' grounds and this case, which involved a temporary injunction whilst a clearly important issue of law was considered, being the freedom of individuals to enter into binding NDAs. I wouldn't expect you to be able to tell the difference.
    You do get that's a fund raising email from the Dems right.

The chance that is real polling is limited.
This discussion has been closed.