Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The budget spread bets – how many times will key words be ment

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Good news for IT companies where most of that school bonus must surely be spent.

Depends on what route schools take. Repairs might be more urgent as there is a backlog.
    If Mrs Capitano's school is anything to go by, it'll be staff. In particular, extra TAs to handle the kids who should be in special schools, were there any left.
    I can't see how 400 million goes far in hiring more staff, particularly not if it's a one off as seems to be implied.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Looking like it might be quite a long budget speech.....
  • Options

Looking like it might be quite a long budget speech.....

For a very short budget, once you strip out the verbiage.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

That wasn't quite the way I expected education to come up.

I wonder how that money for Bergen Belsen programmes will work in practice and how it will be allocated.

Edit - ah, now he's on to education. He's talking rubbish on OFSTED though - in the last three years OFSTED grades have become no better than guesses, so that statistic is meaningless.

A good move to teach children about the horrors of Bergen-Belsen and anti-semitism and remind them about what the British did to rescue them. Personal note here: my father was one of the doctors who had to go into the camp to help. The horror of what he witnessed was something which stayed with him all his life.
    AIUI children ARE already taught about concentration camps. At least one of the teachers in my family has taken parties to such camps.
    And I've done it three times. However, Bergen Belsen is not one of the ones that gets widely taught about. The death camps in the East tend to get more attention (and that includes from Yad Vashem and HET).
    Silly that. Bergen Belsen is so much easier to get to. I went, as an adult, in the 70’s. Horrible.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Good news for IT companies where most of that school bonus must surely be spent.

Depends on what route schools take. Repairs might be more urgent as there is a backlog.
    If Mrs Capitano's school is anything to go by, it'll be staff. In particular, extra TAs to handle the kids who should be in special schools, were there any left.
    I can't see how 400 million goes far in hiring more staff, particularly not if it's a one off as seems to be implied.
    It doesn't go far, but it plugs a hole in the school budget that might otherwise be plugged by laying someone off.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    Someone with an annual budget of £800bn really shouldn’t be wasting time making announcements about £10m spends.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

Boost for mental health with "new" crisis teams.

Who though will staff them?

Bones break the same the world over, but Trick Cyclists need excellent skills in language, culture and body language, as well as understanding the benefits and legal systems. Much harder to import successfully.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Someone with an annual budget of £800bn really shouldn’t be wasting time making announcements about £10m spends.

GO always through in £10m to buy a joke, preferably something about the Milibands
  • Options
    Hammond says he will extend the rules on IR35 to the private sector, but delay the changes until April 2020, and only apply them to large and medium-sized businesses.

Ouch - that's a biggie.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

I wonder how that money for Bergen Belsen programmes will work in practice and how it will be allocated.

Edit - ah, now he's on to education. He's talking rubbish on OFSTED though - in the last three years OFSTED grades have become no better than guesses, so that statistic is meaningless.

A good move to teach children about the horrors of Bergen-Belsen and anti-semitism and remind them about what the British did to rescue them. Personal note here: my father was one of the doctors who had to go into the camp to help. The horror of what he witnessed was something which stayed with him all his life.
    A few years back I went to a talk by the famous pilot, Captain Winkle Brown. Mrs J was heavily pregnant and uninterested in planes, but she went with me. A large part of the talk was about his experiences at the liberation of Bergen-Belsen, and his interrogation of the camp commandant and associates. The description of the horrors he saw there, and hatred of the people who ran the camp, was deeply affecting.

Mrs J regularly says she was glad she went, as hearing about the horrors first-hand was important.

I wonder if Eric Brown met your father there?
  • Options

Hammond says he will extend the rules on IR35 to the private sector, but delay the changes until April 2020, and only apply them to large and medium-sized businesses.

Ouch - that's a biggie.

A few sectors are going to face a big shakeup, like IT.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157

Roger said:

He's impressive and likeable. The Tories have finally got a leader in the wings.

And that's where they are going to keep him.
    A shame. Based on what I’ve seen this pm he looks like a grown up. A pity May keeps undermining him.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Ouch - that's a biggie.

Whats the education count though ? 0 ?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Ouch - that's a biggie.

Makes an awful lot of sense. Easier to go after the businesses for non compliance than the individuals.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DavidL said:

Zzzzz

Hanging in there.

3 minutes in...
  • Options

DavidL said:

GO always through in £10m to buy a joke, preferably something about the Milibands
    One £10m joke is fair game but we’ve had announcement after announcement. It’s really trivia.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ouch - that's a biggie.

I'm not sure, but it's not looking good!
  • Options
    edited October 2018
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Foxy said:

Bones break the same the world over, but Trick Cyclists need excellent skills in language, culture and body language, as well as understanding the benefits and legal systems. Much harder to import successfully.
    iirc we are already struggling to train enough psychiatry doctors, as many meds grads don't want to go into it.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Ouch - that's a biggie.

Two so far.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Ouch - that's a biggie.

Makes an awful lot of sense. Easier to go after the businesses for non compliance than the individuals.
    Yes but there are very difficult questions of definition. It's also manifestly unfair to small consultancy companies because they are hit but the big guys aren't.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Don't we have this debate every time he does a Budget? Oh look he's not too bad, he could be leader.

Forgotten within a few days.

Nope, Private Eye will be out on Wednesday with a Budget edition, plus by the weekend, the papers will have had enough time to tear it to pieces ..
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Ouch - that's a biggie.

Two so far.
    Ah ok, a loss of £2 for me if that holds through.
  • Options
    But those who don't have access to a car, still use public transport. So more benefit.....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Ouch - that's a biggie.

Two so far.
    Ah, OK, so my buy at 2.2 isn't too bad. At least one more please, Phil!
  • Options
    Bloody hell, his puns are as bad as Sunil's.
  • Options
    Oh lord. A rash of the @Ydoethurs
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    Relief, Convenience, Bogged down, Leaks!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Sounds like Portas: the sequel. After the first initiative sank without benefit.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

Foxy said:

iirc we are already struggling to train enough psychiatry doctors, as many meds grads don't want to go into it.
    No less than 93% taking the Psychiatry exams trained overseas as I recall.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

A few years back I went to a talk by the famous pilot, Captain Winkle Brown. Mrs J was heavily pregnant and uninterested in planes, but she went with me. A large part of the talk was about his experiences at the liberation of Bergen-Belsen, and his interrogation of the camp commandant and associates. The description of the horrors he saw there, and hatred of the people who ran the camp, was deeply affecting.

Mrs J regularly says she was glad she went, as hearing about the horrors first-hand was important.

I wonder if Eric Brown met your father there?
    Who knows? My father was a Squadron Leader in the RAF as well as a doctor. His experiences there were one of the few things he told me about the war. He dialled down on the horrors but he always emphasised the importance of not giving in to hatred and what anti-semitic talk led to. He had spent time in Germany before the war and it was what he saw there that led him to volunteering for the RAF on his return.

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Is it me or is Hammond having quite a good time of it?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Are you referring to my posts or his puns?
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    A huge shift in public opinion on cannabis policy reported in The Times is not yet properly represented in our 2 major political parties.The survey suggested that 15 per cent of the population — eight million people — have used cannabis in the past year. A majority of people across almost every age group, gender, social class and region now supports legalisation. Among those aged over 65 support is at 49 per cent.

Blair Gibbs, a former justice and policing adviser to Michael Gove who now works for the Centre for Medicinal Cannabis campaign group, said: “Prohibition is no longer seen as the smart and responsible policy.”

Politicians take note.
  • Options
    Refreshing to listen to a genuine grown up and capable politician. Well done Phil Hammond
  • Options

Yeah: he seems to have a bit of mojo about him.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

But those who don't have access to a car, still use public transport. So more benefit.....
    For those that use buses rather than trains, maybe. But my biggest shock when I caught the bus the other day was "how the **** is this £6.70?" rather than "gosh, there are a few potholes"; and the reason it's £6.70 is because our underfunded county council has removed all bus subsidies. Thanks, Phil.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

madness
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

His toilet related puns. Awful. Really not sure where the adult stuff comes from.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

No FEWER, Doctor, no FEWER!!!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Cyclefree said:

He always does at the budget, to be fair.

Hammond is a decent chap and does a brilliant job at budget and spring statement, but he doesn't seem to see it as his role to talk up the economy throughout the year...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

His toilet related puns. Awful. Really not sure where the adult stuff comes from.
    You are daring to compare my awesome punning with that? Sir, how could you?

You are sentenced to watch The Last Jedi 5 times through while eating a pizza with extra pineapple.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

It doesn't go far, but it plugs a hole in the school budget that might otherwise be plugged by laying someone off.
    Schools are well and truly due a shake up, having had it shockingly easy for the last twenty years. More flab than a super obese fun run.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

No FEWER, Doctor, no FEWER!!!
    Surely a percentage is always "less", not being a discrete number but a proportion? [pedant off]
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Embracing puns and some good humour is not a bad move.

Perhaps he has been advised by the same person who came up with Dancing Queen as entry music.

Either way, there does seem to be a bit more presentational flair going on.

Also he has given Remain MPs lots of mentions so far - greasing the wheels?
  • Options
    notme said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Schools are well and truly due a shake up, having had it shockingly easy for the last twenty years. More flab than a super obese fun run.
    Is that a statement that Gove was a failure?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Can't be the puns, surely ?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916

For those that use buses rather than trains, maybe. But my biggest shock when I caught the bus the other day was "how the **** is this £6.70?" rather than "gosh, there are a few potholes"; and the reason it's £6.70 is because our underfunded county council has removed all bus subsidies. Thanks, Phil.
    The pensioners' bus pass has a great deal to do with this. It has been disastrous for rural bus services in particular.
  • Options

Refreshing to listen to a genuine grown up and capable politician. Well done Phil Hammond

Imagine if he had been unleashed on Labour's manifesto in the 2017 GE.....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

You are sentenced to watch The Last Jedi 5 times through while eating a pizza with extra pineapple.
    Harsh, bordering on brutal. Once for the Last Jedi was more than enough for this life time.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Attractive and substantial sounding bribes for Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    Another £10m joke.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Harsh, bordering on brutal. Once for the Last Jedi was more than enough for this life time.
    You are forgiven sir. I knew however poor your taste in puns, you had some decent instincts.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

notme said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Is that a statement that Gove was a failure?
    A misguided desire to protect education and health funding meant the austerity chop came on much harder on everywhere else.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Another £10m joke.

My crystal ball paying dividends today!!
  • Options
    Have any "key industries" been announced ?
  • Options
    I hope Alastair didn't sell on the length of speech market...
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    He's been speaking for an hour already if he started at 3.30 p.m. - and appears to have plenty left to say.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

All very well for you men. You can go and pee anywhere - and a few weeks ago late at night I saw a man openly relieving himself in front of a Waitrose, without even making any attempt to be discreet, for God’s sake! - but we ladies can’t and don’t want to have to go into a coffee shop and buy their bloody awful cappuccinos just to use the loo.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

stjohn said:

Assured delivery by Hammond. I've had a few quid on him for next Tory leader at 70.0 and 75.0.

In a rational world he would be favourite. However, as you will no doubt be informed by some of our more intense Leavers, the hatred of the Brexit purists for him surpasseth all understanding.
    Other than that he has no discernable ideology, never mind leadership aura about him. And that his political instincts are not always reliable.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    stjohn said:

He's been speaking for an hour already if he started at 3.30 p.m. - and appears to have plenty left to say.

BBC seems to indicate he started at 3:33. Though I'm never sure how accurate they are about incidental details.
  • Options
    Suspiciously quiet so far on the main taxes.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

All very well for you men. You can go and pee anywhere - and a few weeks ago late at night I saw a man openly relieving himself in front of a Waitrose, without even making any attempt to be discreet, for God’s sake! - but we ladies can’t and don’t want to have to go into a coffee shop and buy their bloody awful cappuccinos just to use the loo.
    I wish that was the case for all women. The number of 'squatters' is on the increase. We do need a proper public toilet network - but I can't see that happening sadly.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I'm sure if you ask them very very nicely they will hold the Chocolate sprinkles.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

I hope Alastair didn't sell on the length of speech market...

No, you dissuaded me.
  • Options
    No change on beer and spirits.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Wasn’t there a She-wee device on Dragons Den some years ago? I seem to recall the Army took it up.
  • Options
    Wailing and gnash of teeth at the bookies. Treasury makes up the lost tax from FOTBs by taxing their online business more.
  • Options
    Fixed Odds Betting Terminals (FOBT) stakes to come down to £2. I really hope that happens.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

The predictions were for low growth as far as the eye can see and for the deficit to come down, and the taps have been turned on a bit, so the cash is coming in from somewhere. He's either hiding it in the supplementary papers or the next bit is going to feel like a pre-Halloween massacre.

It's going to be the first of those two, surely?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Wailing and gnash of teeth at the bookies. Treasury makes up the lost tax from FOTBs by taxing their online business more.

That was widely expected.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

DavidL said:

That was widely expected.
    Ultimately paid for by the punter though. Fortunately politics is still "thin". Watch out for more football accumulator offers in particular.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Wasn’t there a She-wee device on Dragons Den some years ago? I seem to recall the Army took it up.
    https://www.flightstore.co.uk/pilot-supplies-c1/convenience-c190/restop-disposable-travel-toilet-3-pack-p850
  • Options
    UC fixes.

Will they be enough?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    On time, weirdly, Ladbrokes had evens for 55-60 minutes and about 5 for over 60. I didn't back anything at all on this market, though, so no idea about that or if the three terms I mentioned earlier came off.
  • Options
    Hammond's on fire
  • Options
    This is a long long budget. Over an hour now.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

On time, weirdly, Ladbrokes had evens for 55-60 minutes and about 5 for over 60. I didn't back anything at all on this market, though, so no idea about that or if the three terms I mentioned earlier came off.

Yes the budget is unusually long, +60 mins looks like a great bet in hindsight though. Not just hindsight, it could have been easily calculated by referring to the SPIN times...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This is a long long budget. Over an hour now.

He waffled on about generalities at the beginning of the speech for a surprisingly long time.
  • Options

The predictions were for low growth as far as the eye can see and for the deficit to come down, and the taps have been turned on a bit, so the cash is coming in from somewhere. He's either hiding it in the supplementary papers or the next bit is going to feel like a pre-Halloween massacre.

He did say at the beginning that he had some extra money. Which he is now spending.
  • Options
    That is a big announcement on personal tax allowances
  • Options
    McDonnell looks really miffed
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, probably upset at the continued existence of capitalism, property rights, and Corbyn's tenure as leader.
  • Options
    This proposal this morning, looks on the nail:

https://twitter.com/NIHargrave/status/1056891139922558977
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

A Waitrose! The horror......
  • Options

Dodds looked even more narked. But I suspect that it more just her natural sour face (and inexplicably bad perm)

I am not looking forward to her becoming my MP post boundary changes.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    A

Many of these announcements are utterly trivial and will make no difference to the public accounts.

IT a bit of a surprise. I wonder if the Scottish government will pass it on this time.
  • Options

UC fixes.

Will they be enough?

Not for the poverty mongerers it wont.
  • Options

Corbyn is responding for Labour I think? Is that unusual? I don't recall
  • Options

Corbyn is responding for Labour I think? Is that unusual? I don't recall
    Yes
  • Options
    Angry shouty Corbyn....
  • Options
    Overall, not a good speech. It was unreasonably lacking in mentions of 'education' and 'pensions'.
  • Options
    Mr. Rabbit, standard for Budgets, I believe.
This discussion has been closed.