Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The budget spread bets – how many times will key words be ment

Comments

• Options

McDonnell looks really miffed

Corbyn is responding for Labour I think? Is that unusual? I don't recall
    It's normal.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,452
    This is a bit splurgey isn’t it?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Shouty McShoutface is on his feet.

Hoyle didn't step in to stop the Labour backchat - so why is he protecting Corbyn?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Dodds looked even more narked. But I suspect that it more just her natural sour face (and inexplicably bad perm)

I am not looking forward to her becoming my MP post boundary changes.
    Don't worry. There's probably only about a 1 in 4 chance of the changes going through.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Oh, I'm listening on the radio. There was nice calm gentleman speaking a few moments ago, now someone else is shouting very angrily.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    edited October 2018
    Corbyn being shouty and vague again. All raw emotions and no facts. He really isn't an impressive commons performer.

Interesting also that Hammond could deflect interruptions and Corbyn just flounders and the Dep Speaker has to intervene.
  • Options
    Phil Hammond for PM.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    Where are these tax cuts for the rich? I’ve seen the exact opposite.
  • Options

No. The LotO usually replies to Budgets. SCotE for Spring/Autumn Statements.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Is corbyn just running through the last years response?
  • Options

Dodds looked even more narked. But I suspect that it more just her natural sour face (and inexplicably bad perm)

I am not looking forward to her becoming my MP post boundary changes.
    Don't worry. There's probably only about a 1 in 4 chance of the changes going through.
    But then I am left with Moran - who is hardly any better.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Simon, that's Chairman Shouty McShoutface!
  • Options
    McDonnell to one side, Abbott to the other and shouty Corbyn in the middle

Just how poor can labour get
  • Options

No, usually the LotO responds, unless they are IDS.

But even he and Letwin weren't this useless.
  • Options

He can't think of his feet.

Some might argue that he can't think full-stop.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Standard form -- Leader of the Opposition responds to the budget statement. The Shadow Chancellor will lead for Labour on the budget debate over the next few days.

The LoTO response is often a bit lame and restricted to generalities because he has had no advance sight of the budget measures, many of which are hidden in the red book which is released only after the budget speech.
  • Options

Phil Hammond for PM.

Hammond has been backed on Betfair.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994
    notme said:

Oh, I'm listening on the radio. There was nice calm gentleman speaking a few moments ago, now someone else is shouting very angrily.

It's hilarious to see all this faux-anger coming from the anti-Semite.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983

McDonnell to one side, Abbott to the other and shouty Corbyn in the middle

Just how poor can labour get

A thorn between two roses?
  • Options

He is just reading a script which I doubt he even understands.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

He is just reading a script which I doubt he even understands.
    He's not very good at reading, either.
  • Options

Standard form -- Leader of the Opposition responds to the budget statement. The Shadow Chancellor will lead for Labour on the budget debate over the next few days.

The LoTO response is often a bit lame and restricted to generalities because he has had no advance sight of the budget measures, many of which are hidden in the red book which is released only after the budget speech.
    In fairness some LotO are very good at responding quickly. Blair, Hague and Howard were all very quick to seize on weaknesses in a budget. Cameron and Miliband rather less so.

Corbyn has now completely lost his way. He doesn't have any thread to this speech at all.
  • Options
    Why is Hoyle stepping in so much? He was silent with all the Labour shouting during the speech that mattered.

He isn't doing his chance of promotion much good.
  • Options
    child mortality changes covered in fullfacts, not really any change at all its about the registering of early term births as live deaths or not. The life expectancy changes (weve discussed it on here) is very targeted in a small number of constituencies.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    There was something on letting of 2nd homes. Did anyone get the details? Can't find anything on the internet yet. Did I imagine it?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

In fairness some LotO are very good at responding quickly. Blair, Hague and Howard were all very quick to seize on weaknesses in a budget. Cameron and Miliband rather less so.

Corbyn has now completely lost his way. He doesn't have any thread to this speech at all.
    It is difficult to watch Corbyn's car crash. Just embarrassing
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

notme said:

It's hilarious to see all this faux-anger coming from the anti-Semite.
    Hammond subtly managed to remind his audience of Labour’s problem in this area while speaking of the money to be spent on remembrance of the end of 2 World Wars.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

One of Cameron's budget responses was jaw droppingly good, possibly the finest performance ive ever seen. Might have been 2009.
  • Options
    We seem to have moved onto a different speech.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    kjh said:

There was something on letting of 2nd homes. Did anyone get the details? Can't find anything on the internet yet. Did I imagine it?

Reduction in capital gains tax relief, I think. From 2020
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If fairly bright and often quick on their feet LotO like Cameron struggle, there is no chance for a total moron like Corbyn.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kjh said:

Reduction in capital gains tax relief, I think. From 2020
    Cheers.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

We seem to have moved onto a different speech.

It isn't a speech. It is an incoherent rant.
  • Options
    kjh said:

He made reference to the capital gains and income tax relief given to primary residences. But he says its been abused (by people claiming to have lodgers and not living there??).

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    kjh said:

Change in letting relief and period of final ownership.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

It is difficult to watch Corbyn's car crash. Just embarrassing
    Just wait until he is actually in charge.....
  • Options
    Homelessness is less than half it was pre crash and child poverty is actually lower than when the tories took office.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Why is Hoyle stepping in so much? He was silent with all the Labour shouting during the speech that mattered.

Because Hammond has the intellect, poise and suavity to deal with it. Corbyn does not. If the House is to function, he needs to shield him to some extent.

He isn't helping his case by making stuff up about this being a budget for the rich when it really isn't though. Big business will be wincing today.

Edit - and now he's on to pensions, which is weak territory for him as Alistair has shown so often.

Mr Corbyn, I used to work with men left homeless by marital breakup. Why are you only concerned with women?

And now calling the PM 'nasty' and 'perverse'. Does anyone still think he doesn't demonise his opponents.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Scott_P said:
    Is this news? Unless the OBR are supposed to be negotiating it...
  • Options

On the contrary. I'd say he was providing reassurance to the key swing vote on the matter.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Oh lord. A rash of the @Ydoethurs

Are you referring to my posts or his puns?
    His toilet related puns. Awful. Really not sure where the adult stuff comes from.
    All very well for you men. You can go and pee anywhere - and a few weeks ago late at night I saw a man openly relieving himself in front of a Waitrose, without even making any attempt to be discreet, for God’s sake! - but we ladies can’t and don’t want to have to go into a coffee shop and buy their bloody awful cappuccinos just to use the loo.
    Wasn’t there a She-wee device on Dragons Den some years ago? I seem to recall the Army took it up.
    https://www.flightstore.co.uk/pilot-supplies-c1/convenience-c190/restop-disposable-travel-toilet-3-pack-p850
    And should I ever join the Army I’ll use it. Meanwhile I want a proper clean toilet with washbasin, good lighting and a mirror when I’m out and about shopping and doing my bit for the economy.
  • Options
    kjh said:

There was a tightening of the rules about CGT exemptions. You will now have to live in the accommodation to select it.
  • Options
    Come on everyone. Let’s do our best Windrush Compo face...
  • Options
    notme said:

Homelessness is less than half it was pre crash and child poverty is actually lower than when the tories took office.

Facts don't matter to Corbyn.
  • Options
    Corbyn is making the classic mistake of shouting over Tory barracking. He forgets the microphone will pick him out over the background noise.
  • Options

On the contrary. I'd say he was providing reassurance to the key swing vote on the matter.
    He doesn't stand a chance against Harman
  • Options
    Who is the minister close to Hammond whose poppy underwent emergency surgery during the budget? It looked like he'd put it in backwards.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

UC fixes.

Will they be enough?

Neil Gray MP
    ‏Verified account @NeilGrayMP
    16m16 minutes ago

Neil Gray MP Retweeted Neil Gray MP

Chancellor just said his tax and #universalcredit changes would help by £690 per year, compared to DWP Sec predicting those transitioning set to be £2400 worse off before interventions. Still a net £1700 loss
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Is this news? Unless the OBR are supposed to be negotiating it...
    It’s almost as if it is going to make little difference. But Faisal can’t have that.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone re my question. Appreciated.
  • Options
    How dare Corbyn go on about womens refuges. He wants to allow self-id thus allowing a violent man to self-id and enter such a refuge and any other safe space for women.
  • Options
    Shops are closed because of job losses??

This is becoming increasingly surreal.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

How dare Corbyn go on about womens refuges. He wants to allow self-id thus allowing a violent man to self-id and enter such a refuge and any other safe space for women.

Because he is an arrogant hypocrite?
  • Options
    May and Hammond just looking smug.

As @SouthamObserver has said so often, with opponents like this they don't need supporters.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

May and Hammond just looking smug.

As @SouthamObserver has said so often, with opponents like this they don't need supporters.

All they are doing is shaking their heads at the stream of nonsense being spewed by Corbyn.
  • Options
    Now he’s banging on about fracking. Wtf?
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Cyclefree said:

Because he is an arrogant hypocrite?
    I think he's there, but he's not really involved.
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, there was some interesting polling a few days ago (I forget if both men and women responded or if it were just women) on things like that, transgender women (that's to say men transitioning to women) being able to enter female sporting contests, women-only prisons etc. There were 4-5 options, your typical Likert scale, and for most things around 50-60% of responses were dead against such entries.
  • Options
    notme said:

Gotta get the soundbite for Facebook to target the Green Party voters.
  • Options
    Bad day for labour and terrible response by Corbyn
  • Options
    notme said:

He's hoping for a political earthquake, based on the amount of gas he's spewing forth.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    So, back to the important business. Where's the weakness in this budget? My instinctive answer is that trouble will come from one of IR35 or UC, both of which strike me as to put it mildly hostages to fortune.

But the tax threshold and business rates will likely be well received. Didn't see either of those coming.
  • Options

I am sure Owen Jones will proclaim its brilliance.
  • Options

Not sure this budget will cut through much. It was far too diffuse with far too many announcements.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, Jones' response will be a cross between Pravda and Madlibs.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    ydoethur said:

I always thought Hague was particularly good at responding to budgets. It didn't do him much good, but I noticed.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

to put Cameron in the same bracket as EdM is an interesting take.

This is the EdM who basically repeated 2011, 2012 and 2013 in his 2014 one.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/10712417/Ed-Milibands-Budget-speech-was-repetitive-admits-Labour.html
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited October 2018

The LOTO response makes no difference. The fine detail will provide the headlines.

On the face of it it's a pretty unexciting budget from an unexciting party in difficult times.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    Cyclefree said:

As the Karen White case shows, that is more than a theoretical risk.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992
    edited October 2018
    Some interesting Budget proposals from Hammond with higher income tax thresholds, new taxes on revenues of the big tech companies and more money for the NHS, potholes, defence and counter terrorism
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited October 2018
    Fenster said:

The LOTO response makes no difference. The fine detail will provide the headlines.

On the face of it it's a pretty unexciting budget from an unexciting party in difficult times.
    Unexciting is what you want in a budget. If it isn’t it usually falls apart when the detail is examined.

BTW is Corbyn still speaking? The Guardian said they would summarise his speech once he’d finished, but that comment was about 40 minutes ago.
  • Options
    The tax allowance increase plus the living wage increase will deliver a big boost to many lower paid workers
  • Options
    Liz Truss is not covering herself in glory here either.

That said Andrew Neil isn't talking about the budget much.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Liz Truss is not covering herself in glory here either.

That said Andrew Neil isn't talking about the budget much.

She rarely does.
  • Options
    An interesting snippet from the briefing paper on the changes to Universal Credit:

Britain is spending more on disability and incapacity benefits as a share of GDP than all other G7 countries except Germany.

Not something which gets prominent coverage on the BBC or in the Guardian!

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/752073/Universal_Credit_web.pdf
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Andrew Neil is hard to handle but Liz Truss is weak.
  • Options
    On the subject of the LOTT doing the budget response: it’s interesting to see the same question come up each time there is a budget. I think this shows two things:
    There is always someone out there who doesn’t know something you think is obvious, and they won’t until someone else tells them. (I can hear my fellow teachers saying ”if you are lucky” at this point).
    The obvious person to do the response ought to be the shadow chancellor. Particularly in this case I expect.
    -
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

So, back to the important business. Where's the weakness in this budget? My instinctive answer is that trouble will come from one of IR35 or UC, both of which strike me as to put it mildly hostages to fortune.

But the tax threshold and business rates will likely be well received. Didn't see either of those coming.

UC, very probably.
    It's not at all clear how much the extra help for transitional relief, together with the extra annual increase, will mitigate the pain
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Fenster said:

Unexciting is what you want in a budget. If it isn’t it usually falls apart when the detail is examined.

BTW is Corbyn still speaking? The Guardian said they would summarise his speech once he’d finished, but that comment was about 40 minutes ago.
    Sorry, but Corbyn tore the Tories apart, the expressions on the cabinet members faces told all, and the general evacuation from the government backbenchers showed it.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    A difficult job but Corbyn was poor. All over the place. He'd have done much better to choose a single theme. Incomprehensible actually and listening on radio it felt eerily quiet.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/10712417/Ed-Milibands-Budget-speech-was-repetitive-admits-Labour.html
    I always felt Cameron became too much the public schoolboy obsessed with generalities ahead of the substance.

But he may have suffered in comparison to Howard, whose dissection of the 2005 budget was masterly, thorough and ultimately in its key soundbite - vote now, pay later - proved spot on.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Fenster said:

Sorry, but Corbyn tore the Tories apart, the expressions on the cabinet members faces told all, and the general evacuation from the government backbenchers showed it.
    Roger said:

A difficult job but Corbyn was poor. All over the place. He'd have done much better to choose a single theme. Incomprehensible actually and listening on radio it felt eerily quiet.

I will content myself with just posting that comparison - from a Corbynista and a Labour voter.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Fenster said:

That's one interpretation.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

UC, very probably.
    It's not at all clear how much the extra help for transitional relief, together with the extra annual increase, will mitigate the pain
    Instant commentary (Corbyn apart) seems to share your view.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

He has spread his seed too thin to get a decent harvest. But I can understand why he has felt the need to do so given the multiplicity of screams he was facing. Social Care and local government will both still be crisis zones.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    edited October 2018
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I always felt Cameron became too much the public schoolboy obsessed with generalities ahead of the substance.

But he may have suffered in comparison to Howard, whose dissection of the 2005 budget was masterly, thorough and ultimately in its key soundbite - vote now, pay later - proved spot on.
    As said before elsewhere in the thread, Cameron had one very good one but is perhaps not in the league of the three very good ones stated.

However EdM's diminishing returns - and for them to be so clunkily obvious - lower him to a different bracket altogether.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Fenster said:

So what were his main points?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

His toilet related puns. Awful. Really not sure where the adult stuff comes from.
    All very well for you men. You can go and pee anywhere - and a few weeks ago late at night I saw a man openly relieving himself in front of a Waitrose, without even making any attempt to be discreet, for God’s sake! - but we ladies can’t and don’t want to have to go into a coffee shop and buy their bloody awful cappuccinos just to use the loo.
    Do what the rest of us do - go into a pub and use their loo without buying anything
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Do what the rest of us do - go into a pub and use their loo without buying anything
    I always feel that I'm taking the piss when I do that.

Edit - oh shit, I'm proving @DavidL right!!!
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Fenster said:

Why would anyone sit and listen to the incoherent ramblings of Corbyn? He didn't make one point that actually responded adequately to the content of the Budget speech. It was preprepared ranting based on discredited statistics and a twisted world view.
  • Options

OchEye said:

Fenster said:

His main point was Austerity Bad, Tories Evil, Me Good.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Hah!

And your viewing plans this evening?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

OchEye said:

Fenster said:

His main point was Austerity Bad, Tories Evil, Me Good.
    Well, I always tell my students to use bullet points...

I assume it was quick then?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Hah!

And your viewing plans this evening?
    Can I make it Carry on Columbus instead? It's a much better film.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,774
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

UC, very probably.
    Early estimates seem to be it will be worth about £750 against a possible loss of £2400 for those switching.
This discussion has been closed.