Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Hammond’s budget: the tabloids react

Comments

• Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,933
    Fishing said:

kyf_100 said:

Serious question for PB'ers:

Would it have been possible for Hammond to have drastically raised the personal allowance (14k? 15k?) instead of raising the higher rate to 50k? Thus taking a huge swathe of the poorest paid out of paying tax entirely while still giving eveyone a tax cut (after all, people on 50k get their first 14k free, too).

I know there is an argument that everybody should contribute to society, but it's always struck me as a good thing to take the poorest in society out of tax to reduce the politics of envy - demonstrating how rich people literally take on the lion's share of the tax burden?

I know where you're coming from, but I don't think it would have that effect. The rich already take on overwhelmingly the lion's share of the burden, but that doesn't stop the Class War crowd, who are impervious to facts, because they argue from emotion. And taking the poorest out of tax increases yet further the number of people with interests in higher taxes and higher spending. Finally, focusing tax on fewer and fewer people makes revenues much more volatile. On this, Hammond was right and Osborne was wrong.
    This sounds about right, I hadn't thought about it this way but I can now see how it could increase class divisions rather than heal them. Thanks to everyone who replied to this!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    blueblue said:

A surprisingly good Budget in these miserable times - although it says a lot about the state of the world that I'm now genuinely suprised that a Conservative Chancellor is actually cutting my taxes.

Wouldn't be surprised to see The Mail put their weight behind "Feel-good Phil" to replace May.....
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382

John_M said:

Not long after the IPCC called for immediate action in reducing CO2, with the UK having previously used Budgets to trumpet "green initiatives" Phil seemed singularly indifferent to Green energy, environmental incentives and efforts from Dave and George, no huskies in this administration......then again, I dont see the environment havign much voice in the current BREXIT climate

Even without the budget, the UK's energy mix is rapidly becoming greener.
    Sometimes, just sometimes, things happen without government assistance. We're getting PV installed and our next car will be, at worst, a hybrid if not full electric. That's because it's increasingly making sense.
    Previous years governments have nudged through taxes and incentives to encourage greener uptake. Now the market is responding in force.

To fiddle with green taxes now would frankly be pissing in the wind. Let the market get on with it.
    I dont think the UN's panel of experts would agree with that,,,,,
    But the market works within the tax framework.

The last time I looked (might have been posted here) the two areas that have not achieved significant greenhouse gas reductions are Transport and Housing.

Electric transport will make a huge difference to transport (assuming renewable growth), but housing will not.

It is tempting to suggest a 2% (say) extra Stamp Duty on properties with an EPC figure of E or worse, or similar, from 2025, and perhaps C from 2030 - to mirror the requirements on rentals. Then they would get renovated.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

The evil Tory bean-counters do nothing to address the grievance of those women born in the 1950s who have had their pensions stolen from them without due notification and consultation.If this was a private sector provider it would involved in a great mis-selling scandal but the government thinks it can get away with it.Working women to their early deaths,including Mrs volcano,is not an acceptable policy.They demand and deserve redress for this grievance.These are hard-working people who may well have worked since the age of 15 and have borne a disproportiate amount of this austerity belief system of the small-state ideology.
    The Tories will pay for this one way or the other.

You lost any credibility as a contributor after three words.....
    To be fair, the first four words seemed fine to me :wink:

The rest... a bit ott imo. Equality means equality, surely?
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Would it have been possible for Hammond to have drastically raised the personal allowance (14k? 15k?) instead of raising the higher rate to 50k? Thus taking a huge swathe of the poorest paid out of paying tax entirely while still giving eveyone a tax cut (after all, people on 50k get their first 14k free, too).

I know there is an argument that everybody should contribute to society, but it's always struck me as a good thing to take the poorest in society out of tax to reduce the politics of envy - demonstrating how rich people literally take on the lion's share of the tax burden?

It wouldn't benefit everyone as a point of order - anyone earning over £125k will have no personal allowance at all still. You may not be unhappy at that of course but it wouldn't benefit 'everyone'
    Pedantically, those over £125k and below £128 k or £130k (dependent on if it was raised to 14k or 15k) would benefit to a degree, as the taper down would be from £100k-£128k/£130k instead of to £125k.
    I was talking about the £12,500 new threshold allowance. it's all gone at £125k pa plus income...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    Interesting that unlike here, the media can talk the vote % of already cast ballots.
    Americans take their free speech rights very seriously.
    Thanks, 538 has the Democrat chance of winning at 62.9%... and that does not include this latest poll !

Have laid the £50 on McSally at 1.90.
    I just got 11/10 on the Dems in AZ at BetFred, but that seems to have triggered a drop to 5/6. You can still get evens elsewhere.
    Fred stopped taking my money some time ago ;)
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited October 2018

A professor of surgery says students have spent so much time in front of screens and so little time using their hands that they have lost the dexterity for stitching or sewing up patients.

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-46019429

I know I write so little these days that my handwriting is appalling.

Last time I wrote a cheque I got stuck halfway through my signature because I could not remember how it ends.

Otoh there have been studies showing that video games help prepare surgeons to operate so it is not all one-sided to the Luddites.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    So £200m or so more money thrown at rural broadband... last time they spent the money reaching rural primary schools with BT Infinity type broadband and houses in the immediate vicinity benefitted too...more remote farms and houses didn’t. This time they are going to spend the money reaching rural primary schools with full fibre and houses in the immediate vicinity will benefit too. More remote farms and houses won’t. Good job we built our own community network with full fibre Gigabit broadband to every property, no matter how remote. Without public money. And we’ve connected the primary school. For free. And the Church. And the village hall.
  • Options

A professor of surgery says students have spent so much time in front of screens and so little time using their hands that they have lost the dexterity for stitching or sewing up patients.

Last time I wrote a cheque I got stuck halfway through my signature because I could not remember how it ends.
    What's a cheque?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

kyf_100 said:

People earning more than roughly £110k don't get any personal allowance at all (I know, heart bleeds, don't know how lucky you are etc etc) so they don't get a tax cut unless the higher rate goes up. Of course in Scotland the last time the Chancellor did this the Scottish government did not pass it on and that might well happen again.

Should I open a Just giving account?
    Sure - Hopefully you are giving to charity and so forth if you're lucky enough to be earning over a hundred grand a year.
    There is a genuine issue with this though as the removal of the allowance of £1 for every £2 earned means there is in effect a 60% band. So it goes 20%, 40%, 60% 40%, 45% which is nonsense. It could easily be done better, even bring it in earlier with a longer taper. The current set up is so extreme it just allows avoidance by those on the cusp by use of AVCs for instance. To change would be fairer and probably bring in more tax.
    Will no one think of the school fees?
    I'm not suggesting reducing the tax burden. The point is with the current structure anyone say on £100,000 - £120,000 won't pay it anyway. They would be mad to. It is so easy to avoid. So change the structure. Bring it in earlier say at £80,000, lengthen the tapering, or do something different with the tax bands. What is the point of doing something that won't raise the revenue. The only people currently paying it will be those on much higher incomes for whom mitigating it is harder and as we know as you go up the income scale the number of taxpayer reduces significantly.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

kyf_100 said:

People earning more than roughly £110k don't get any personal allowance at all (I know, heart bleeds, don't know how lucky you are etc etc) so they don't get a tax cut unless the higher rate goes up. Of course in Scotland the last time the Chancellor did this the Scottish government did not pass it on and that might well happen again.

Sure - Hopefully you are giving to charity and so forth if you're lucky enough to be earning over a hundred grand a year.
    There is a genuine issue with this though as the removal of the allowance of £1 for every £2 earned means there is in effect a 60% band. So it goes 20%, 40%, 60% 40%, 45% which is nonsense. It could easily be done better, even bring it in earlier with a longer taper. The current set up is so extreme it just allows avoidance by those on the cusp by use of AVCs for instance. To change would be fairer and probably bring in more tax.
    I'm not suggesting reducing the tax burden. The point is with the current structure anyone say on £100,000 - £120,000 won't pay it anyway. They would be mad to. It is so easy to avoid. So change the structure. Bring it in earlier say at £80,000, lengthen the tapering, or do something different with the tax bands. What is the point of doing something that won't raise the revenue. The only people currently paying it will be those on much higher incomes for whom mitigating it is harder and as we know as you go up the income scale the number of taxpayer reduces significantly.
    Why not bring the 45% band down to £100,000 for instance and not reduce the personal allowance?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Rexel56 said:

So £200m or so more money thrown at rural broadband... last time they spent the money reaching rural primary schools with BT Infinity type broadband and houses in the immediate vicinity benefitted too...more remote farms and houses didn’t. This time they are going to spend the money reaching rural primary schools with full fibre and houses in the immediate vicinity will benefit too. More remote farms and houses won’t. Good job we built our own community network with full fibre Gigabit broadband to every property, no matter how remote. Without public money. And we’ve connected the primary school. For free. And the Church. And the village hall.

Good stuff. I'm on FTTP in my new house, it is in the sticks.
    I noted that UK broadband (Both mobile and domestic) seemed to be superior to the french offering when I went there a month or so back.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

kyf_100 said:

Why not bring the 45% band down to £100,000 for instance and not reduce the personal allowance?
    That would be too sensible!
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    blueblue said:

A surprisingly good Budget in these miserable times - although it says a lot about the state of the world that I'm now genuinely suprised that a Conservative Chancellor is actually cutting my taxes.

As a higher rate tax payer, married to a basic rate primary school teacher, I am in one sense pleased to see us paying about a grand a year less in income tax. But we are well off in the scheme of things, and I hear on a daily basis about the struggles Mrs S's school has to contend with - I look forward to our discussion this evening about "the little things"! - which often mean she has to provide out of our own pockets some basic resources she needs to make her job easier for which the school budget doesn't extend, ditto the other staff members.

So I do wonder whether giving us a grand back at a cost of >£1bn was the right priority when Universal Credit is a shambles and taking cash from the neediest, and our schools still aren't getting the funding they need.

And I am a lifelong Tory voter.

I thought the tax cuts for the rich would again resonate, until McDonnell's intervention - and I do wonder if McDonnell has mis-spoken, because surely he can't be saying Labour would endorse this too?

Overall though, seemed a pretty sound Budget. But I think it oddly timed given the Brexit impasse and uncertainty. (Unless the "impasse" is a bit of a front and actually we are all being choreographed into a deal which the UK and EU have already stitched up....)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Rexel56 said:

Good stuff. I'm on FTTP in my new house, it is in the sticks.
    I noted that UK broadband (Both mobile and domestic) seemed to be superior to the french offering when I went there a month or so back.
    A quiet revolution in the countryside where my parents are, with a new provider able to offer them 18mb/s and consulting on full fibre at the moment... if it's 1 gb/s then I may need to stay with them more often
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    Andrew said:

Ditto - my current level of handwriting would have seen me get many detentions from the primary school dragon.
    I was taught proper italic handwriting at my primary school. And have had many compliments since. It is actually a very good style to know when writing notes quickly as you can write very fast indeed but still legibly.

I still use a proper pen for writing now, even when doing notes to myself, for work, to the milkman etc.

Hopelessly old-fashioned but still. Why shouldn’t simple every day things bring beauty into the world.

And, frankly, if people were forced to take out pen, ink, paper and slow down a bit before commenting we’d be spared pretty much all of the garbage that is promulgated by email, chat, Twitter etc. Let’s be honest. 99% of what is in peoples’ heads is not worth making public.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152

Otoh there have been studies showing that video games help prepare surgeons to operate so it is not all one-sided to the Luddites.
    You couldn’t remember your own name??
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,595
    stodge said:

I noticed you were jumping around celebrating every syllable offered by Hammond yesterday.
    Forgive me if I don't join you in the euphoria - a very small tax break for lower earners like me which (and no one seems to have noticed the personal allowances will be frozen in 20/21) which will be eaten by inflation in 2020.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-personal-allowance-and-basic-rate-limit-from-2019-to-2020/income-tax-personal-allowance-and-basic-rate-limit-from-2019-20

In addition, very little meaningful help for local authorities looking at some difficult financial settlements this autumn and into next year. It's all very well Hammond saying "650 million for councils" but a) that is a drop in the ocean and b) who decides how that money is allocated.

Yes indeed. It is always unwise to judge a budget by its immediate reception on the first day. This morning's broadcast headlines thanks to the Resolution Foundation's work are rather different than the newspaper front pages written on Monday evening.

It's always the things that Chancellors wish to hide that matter, and they take a day or so to start to come out.

Other than a one-off windfall from tax receipts, Hammond had nothing extra to spend on a sustainable basis in terms of the health of the public finances, as future growth remains anaemic. He has instead decided that balanced budgets aren't after all sacrosanct, after a decade in which the Conservatives told us that they were. Having done that, what is striking is how much of the resultant largess was handed out to those who don't really need it, while those who do received very little. That warped sense of priorities means that Hammond will have squandered much of the political benefit that the Conservatives could have banked from this opening up of the purse strings.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,134
    Cyclefree said:

Andrew said:

Ditto - my current level of handwriting would have seen me get many detentions from the primary school dragon.
    I was taught proper italic handwriting at my primary school. And have had many compliments since. It is actually a very good style to know when writing notes quickly as you can write very fast indeed but still legibly.

I still use a proper pen for writing now, even when doing notes to myself, for work, to the milkman etc.

Hopelessly old-fashioned but still. Why shouldn’t simple every day things bring beauty into the world.

And, frankly, if people were forced to take out pen, ink, paper and slow down a bit before commenting we’d be spared pretty much all of the garbage that is promulgated by email, chat, Twitter etc. Let’s be honest. 99% of what is in peoples’ heads is not worth making public.
    The ink has always dried when I try to use my pen. Best to use it else lose it.
  • Options

stodge said:

I noticed you were jumping around celebrating every syllable offered by Hammond yesterday.
    Forgive me if I don't join you in the euphoria - a very small tax break for lower earners like me which (and no one seems to have noticed the personal allowances will be frozen in 20/21) which will be eaten by inflation in 2020.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-personal-allowance-and-basic-rate-limit-from-2019-to-2020/income-tax-personal-allowance-and-basic-rate-limit-from-2019-20

In addition, very little meaningful help for local authorities looking at some difficult financial settlements this autumn and into next year. It's all very well Hammond saying "650 million for councils" but a) that is a drop in the ocean and b) who decides how that money is allocated.

Yes indeed. It is always unwise to judge a budget by its immediate reception on the first day. This morning's broadcast headlines thanks to the Resolution Foundation's work are rather different than the newspaper front pages written on Monday evening.

It's always the things that Chancellors wish to hide that matter, and they take a day or so to start to come out.

Other than a one-off windfall from tax receipts, Hammond had nothing extra to spend on a sustainable basis in terms of the health of the public finances, as future growth remains anaemic. He has instead decided that balanced budgets aren't after all sacrosanct, after a decade in which the Conservatives told us that they were. Having done that, what is striking is how much of the resultant largess was handed out to those who don't really need it, while those who do received very little. That warped sense of priorities means that Hammond will have squandered much of the political benefit that the Conservatives could have banked from this opening up of the purse strings.
    A political argument that relies on a 0.8% deficit as somehow not being sufficiently close to a balanced budget is never going to fly, especially from an opposition which wants to splurge zillions.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Cyclefree said:

Andrew said:

Am I right in thinking some American schools no longer bother with joined-up writing but go straight from print to typing?
  • Options
    Offtopic - The only people that should be embarrassed by the state of the Wembley pitch are SPURS.
    I'm glad it didn't inhibit Man City too much and they won, but the entire blame for having to play 24 hours after the American Football goes back to Spuds not being able to get their stadium finished on time.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435

John_M said:

Not long after the IPCC called for immediate action in reducing CO2, with the UK having previously used Budgets to trumpet "green initiatives" Phil seemed singularly indifferent to Green energy, environmental incentives and efforts from Dave and George, no huskies in this administration......then again, I dont see the environment havign much voice in the current BREXIT climate

Sometimes, just sometimes, things happen without government assistance. We're getting PV installed and our next car will be, at worst, a hybrid if not full electric. That's because it's increasingly making sense.
    Previous years governments have nudged through taxes and incentives to encourage greener uptake. Now the market is responding in force.

To fiddle with green taxes now would frankly be pissing in the wind. Let the market get on with it.
    I'd have a lot more time for that sort of view if other countries also acted. Remember the ozone hole (as it happens, a British discovery)? At vast expense, governments and industry banned CFCs.

Yet atmospheric CFCs are increasing, and the reason is China and, ironically, insulation:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44738952

China could easily stop this, but they choose not to.
    Blaming other people sometimes makes me feel better for my own shortcomings as well.
    Us banning CFCs is rather pointless if China and others are willing to flout the internationally-agreed bans. Likewise many other environmental issues. (Local environmental improvements are another matter).

It doesn't matter how much self-flagellation you want to put us through: us acting alone is pointless in a global environment. Sadly, you appear more willing to blame ourselves than condemn China over this.

The UN panels should be screaming at China over this.
    The average Chinese citizen produces a fraction of a UK citizen's CO2 output...not sure that blaming Beijing is going to reduce our environmental footprint.
  • Options

John_M said:

I'd have a lot more time for that sort of view if other countries also acted. Remember the ozone hole (as it happens, a British discovery)? At vast expense, governments and industry banned CFCs.

Yet atmospheric CFCs are increasing, and the reason is China and, ironically, insulation:

Blaming other people sometimes makes me feel better for my own shortcomings as well.
    Us banning CFCs is rather pointless if China and others are willing to flout the internationally-agreed bans. Likewise many other environmental issues. (Local environmental improvements are another matter).

It doesn't matter how much self-flagellation you want to put us through: us acting alone is pointless in a global environment. Sadly, you appear more willing to blame ourselves than condemn China over this.

The average Chinese citizen produces a fraction of a UK citizen's CO2 output...not sure that blaming Beijing is going to reduce our environmental footprint.
    CFCs and CO2 output are err.. two different issues.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Pulpstar said:

John_M said:

The point was about climate change, I mistskenly used US figures (16 cubic metres) per head to China's 6........the point stands
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Pulpstar said:

The point was about climate change, I mistskenly used US figures (16 cubic metres) per head to China's 6........the point stands
    Ah yes but some of China's reduced CO2 emission is down to their use of err... CFCs...

CFC-11 makes a very efficient "blowing agent" for polyurethane foam, helping it to expand into rigid thermal insulation that's used in houses to cut energy bills and reduce carbon emissions.
    One seller of CFC-11 estimated that 70% of China's domestic sales used the illegal gas. The reason is quite simple - CFC-11 is better quality and much cheaper than the alternatives.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,134

It doesn't, even in terms of CO2 per head.
    China: 2.05 metric tonnes of carbon per capita
    UK: 1.78 metric tonnes of carbon per capita
    (2017 data)
    Here's a full table.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,595
    He's not the only one. Time for a backbench revolt against the rightwingers of New Momentum.
  • Options

He's not the only one. Time for a backbench revolt against the rightwingers of New Momentum.
    It's reminiscent of GE2017 where McDonnell seemed to want to splash money around on every interest group with the single exception of the lowest-paid on benefits.

It's very odd positioning.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited October 2018
    I believe that the Personal Allowance has already been raised to a level which is too high - particularly during a period of austerity. Whilst the LibDems like to claim credit for this development from the Coalition years, a much more balanced approach would have restricted any increase to that imposed by the Rooker- Wise rules coupled with higher public spending.
    I suspect that Labour would gain in electoral terms from promising a Higher rate of 60% on people earning £500,000 per annum rising to 75% on those earning £1,500,000 pa.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578

It's going full Animal Farm.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977

Cyclefree said:

Andrew said:

Am I right in thinking some American schools no longer bother with joined-up writing but go straight from print to typing?
    Not when I went to school in Washington DC. Which, admittedly, was a million years ago. The only two things that school ever taught me was nice handwriting and excellent marksmanship with a pistol at age 12. The latter has proved of more enduring utility than the former.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    justin124 said:

I believe that the Personal Allowance has already been raised to a level which is too high

Tax allowance "too high" ? - nah you lost me - no such thing.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2018
    justin124 said:

I suspect that Labour would gain in electoral terms from promising a Higher rate of 60% on people earning £500,000 per annum rising to 75% on those earning £1,500,000 pa.

In electoral terms, possibly. But those are true marginal rates (including employee's and employer's NI, which of course have to be included in determining the effect on behaviour) of 75.8% and 90.8% respectively.

One can argue about the exact contour of the income tax Laffer curve, but you can bet your bottom dollar that a 90.8% tax rate is far off to the right of the scale where extra revenues drop towards 0. In fact, it's probably worse than 0: it would be highly negative, as those affected would arrange their affairs so they weren't taxed in the UK at all.
  • Options
    To add to the questioning, just why is McDonnell supporting the 40% shift upward ?
    Needed to hold Warwick and Leamington, Kensington and Canterbury :p ?
  • Options
    edited October 2018

justin124 said:

In electoral terms, possibly. But those are true marginal rates (including employee's and employer's NI, which of course have to be included in determining the effect on behaviour) of 75.8% and 90.8% respectively.

One can argue about the exact contour of the income tax Laffer curve, but you can bet your bottom dollar that a 90.8% tax rate is far off to the right of the scale where extra revenues drop towards 0. In fact, it's probably worse than 0: it would be highly negative, as those affected would arrange their affairs so they weren't taxed in the UK at all.
    What happens if you add student debt payback to the 90.8% ? (Let's assume it is infinite and a more or less true tax for the purposes of argument..)
  • Options

justin124 said:

One can argue about the exact contour of the income tax Laffer curve, but you can bet you bottom dollar that a 90.8% tax rate is far off to the right of the scale where extra revenues drop towards 0.
    But a 60% rate is the same as accepted by Thatcher until 1988 - and even the 75% rate would be well below the levels seen in the 1970s under both Tory and Labour governments.
  • Options

McDonnell saying this morning (and I watched the broadcast live) that he supports the personal allowance changes and the rich getting more was one of those moments in politics that raises the eyebrows. McDonnell's problem is he wants to give everything to everyone and had he been a more honest politician he would have said he would not have given the higher allowance.

However, that boat has sailed and he is, in his own words, happy for the rich to get tax cuts and of course the cost plus the freezing of fuel duty has left him with a big tax deficit in his own plans.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

It's reminiscent of GE2017 where McDonnell seemed to want to splash money around on every interest group with the single exception of the lowest-paid on benefits.

It's very odd positioning.
    Strategically I think it makes sense for Labour to signal that they're going to target wealth and the ultra-rich, over income and the upper-middle, as their source of revenue. But tactically this seems like a terrible way to do that
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Comrades, do not believe the treacherous utterances of the infamous wrecker, former commissar Burnham!

The Politburo has not been infiltrated by Rightists, as this bourgeois capitalist pigdog would have you believe!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,337
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

One can argue about the exact contour of the income tax Laffer curve, but you can bet you bottom dollar that a 90.8% tax rate is far off to the right of the scale where extra revenues drop towards 0.
    But a 60% rate is the same as accepted by Thatcher until 1988 - and even the 75% rate would be well below the levels seen in the 1970s under both Tory and Labour governments.
    And what was the National Insurance rate at the time?

In any case, why do you assume that those ludicrously high tax rates raised revenue?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

Scott_P said:
    So - if 40% of GDP comes in tax, and we're approximately £44.5 billion down economy-wise due to Brexit so far, it's cost us a little under £18bn per year to the Treasury in tax.

The amusing irony is that it's £350 million per week.
    So far, anyway.
    If that was right then the deficit would have increased rather than decreased.
    Nope. It means the deficit would have decreased a lot further.

Scott_P said:
    So - if 40% of GDP comes in tax, and we're approximately £44.5 billion down economy-wise due to Brexit so far, it's cost us a little under £18bn per year to the Treasury in tax.

So far, anyway.
    If they use June 2016 as the Brexit date then that is 28 months.
    So your 18 bil is technically 7.7bil per annum.
    GDP is a flow, not a stock.
    It's a running annual bill that's reached £18 billion per year. The total cost will, of course, be higher (it'd have been less last year and less the year before, so if we assume it was £6bn, £12bn, £18bn, it would have come to £36bn by the end of this year and be standing at a further £18bn per year (assuming it remains unchanged)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

justin124 said:

What happens if you add student debt payback to the 90.8% ? (Let's assume it is infinite and a more or less true tax for the purposes of argument..)
    I expect nothing, since someone earning that much would have already paid it all back.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Lawson cut the top tax rate to 40% in 1988 ie lower than the 45% top income tax rate now.

Returning to a 60% top income tax rate would see the UK with a higher top income tax rate than any other Western economy and lead to a brain drain and a big rise in tax exiles
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

In any case, why do you assume that those ludicrously high tax rates raised revenue?
    It staggers me that people think that anyone would be prepared to pay an income tax of 75% or above
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880

Urrrm, that's not addressing the point I'm making about CFC outputs, which you're ignoring.

Note: I'm not saying we shouldn't do stuff about CO2 and other chemical outputs; just that it's rather pointless us doing it without international agreement to do the same, and it's pointless when China totally breaks it, as they have with CFCs.

What's your answer to that?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

Cyclefree said:

Morning.

I can’t help feeling that this budget is wrongly timed. Surely, we should have been having a budget after Brexit so we could know what what sort of a position we were in and how best to mitigate it/take advantage.

It feels as if we are living in a fool’s paradise when in a few months we may find (I hope not) ourselves in a very difficult position.

On the detail, I can’t say I feel strongly. Schools may complain about the little extras comment but aren’t we always reading stories about schools having to raise money from parents for extras so why can’t this money be used for those sorts of expenses?

Didn't Hammond say he was 'confident' of a good deal ?

Now I wouldn't say that unless I was VERY confident.

But I prefer to under-promise and over-deliver.

Politicians have been known to take a different strategy :wink:
    Betting tip, buy £/$
  • Options
    Good update on the midterms from 538.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-battleground-in-the-house-is-really-big-and-that-makes-life-hard-for-republicans/

"All of this sets up what could be a feast-or-famine evening for Democrats next Tuesday."

As has been mentioned a fair bit on here, the Gerrymander that's built into a lot of republican seats protects them to a large degree if it's a modest swing. Any swing above around +8 for the Dems and a whole load of seats will come into play.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Jeremy Hunt is being curiously evasive:

https://twitter.com/patrickwintour/status/1057243269573341184
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    currystar said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

It staggers me that people think that anyone would be prepared to pay an income tax of 75% or above
    Hollande tried it briefly and saw a mass exodus of the highest earning French people to London and so reversed it and imposed a levy on employers instead.

In the 1970s a lot of wealthy Brits moved to the USA, Monaco etc
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Even today people earning above £892 per week only pay 2% National Insurance on any amount beyond that ceiling.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Even today people earning above £892 per week only pay 2% National Insurance on any amount beyond that ceiling.
    And their employer?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Politico argues that the field is narrowing rapidly (which isn't good for the Hickenlooper type long shots):
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/30/sanders-biden-avenatti-2020-media-primary-943252
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Didn't it used to be zero? I can remember the 1% and then 2% rates being brought in.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Democrat polling.Blues neck-and-neck in 4 Red States but down by 1 point in key

Georgia
    Missouri
    Arizona
    Indiana
    47-48
    42-43
    46-47
    44-45
  • Options
    currystar said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Many would be staggered that anyone needs £1,500,000 per year to live well . Those enjoying such a lifestyle are unlikely to receive much sympathy from the community at large.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Didn't it used to be zero? I can remember the 1% and then 2% rates being brought in.
    Yes - that is correct.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    IanB2 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Yes, it was zero, and employer's contribution above the upper limit was also zero. The limit was removed under Thatcher (and a real blow at the time to small hi-tech companies).
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    justin124 said:

currystar said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Many would be staggered that anyone needs £1,500,000 per year to live well . Those enjoying such a lifestyle are unlikely to receive much sympathy from the community at large.
    I realise that, but they will just make alternative arrangements to ensure that they do not pay such a rate, therefore a rate that high will not raise any money.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    justin124 said:

currystar said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

No doubt the Daily Mail would describe such people as Middle Class.
  • Options
    We don't even need to go back to the 70s to realize that Justin's idea is bonkers...Hollande thought it was a goer and he U-Turned faster than Ed Miliband accidentally walking into a Greggs.
  • Options

We don't even need to go back to the 70s to realize that Justin's idea is bonkers...Hollande thought it was a goer and he U-Turned faster than Ed Miliband accidentally walking into a Greggs.

Heath and MacMillan were content to apply such rates.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2018
    justin124 said:

We live in a different world now and it didn't work then either.

Hollande realized this rather quickly, in a country traditionally far happier to pay higher taxes than us.
  • Options
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    edited October 2018
    On the betting front, Indiana is too close to call,a good opportunity for an arb,and Missouri has some 11-8 on the Blues which looks too big.I can't find any odds for Georgia but Arizona is like Indiana,too close to call,Blues best-priced 11-10,Reds 5-6.I'd take a Blue gain in Georgia for over 6-4 too if i can find a market.
    4 states which could go either way.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

They were higher across the western world, certainly in the 1970s before the Reagan Thatcher era so it did less damage as there were fewer places to move to if income tax was raised nonetheless there was still a brain drain in the 1970s to areas like Monaco and the Bahamas
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    justin124 said:

In practice, hardly anyone paid them, as there were so many reliefs one could claim, and no CGT until 1965.
  • Options
    I wonder what might be the electoral impact of a proposal from McDonnell to raise the standard rate to 25% whilst simultaneously halving VAT to 10%? That would reverse what Howe did in his first Budget in June 1979 when he increased VAT from 8% to 15% with the standard rate down to 30% from 33%. Seeing a significant reduction in the prices of such a wide range of goods & services might be more popular than many assume.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    justin124 said:

currystar said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

They'd also leave.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I wonder what might be the electoral impact of a proposal from McDonnell to raise the standard rate to 25% whilst simultaneously halving VAT to 10%? That would reverse what Howe did in his first Budget in June 1979 when he increased VAT from 8% to 15% with the standard rate down to 30% from 33%. Seeing a significant reduction in the prices of such a wide range of goods & services might be more popular than many assume.

My back of a fag packet calculation suggests raising the basic rate to 25p would only allow for a 5% reduction in the rate of VAT, unless you thought there would be a singificant behavioural effect
  • Options
    Norwegian PM wants 'good cooperation' with Britain but sceptical of EFTA to Canada model 'difficult to join an organisation you want to leave'

https://mobile.twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1057228492352430080
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,504
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Lawson cut the top tax rate to 40% in 1988 ie lower than the 45% top income tax rate now.

Returning to a 60% top income tax rate would see the UK with a higher top income tax rate than any other Western economy and lead to a brain drain and a big rise in tax exiles
    Because of the effect of withdrawing personal allowances, we have an effective 60% band from £100 000 to 123 000
  • Options

Scott_P said:

So far, anyway.
    But the actual government borrowing is very similar to what the OBR forecast in March 2016 and that's not including the OBR's tendency up to then to forecast lower borrowing than what eventually arose.

It seems highly likely if the economy was smaller than what the OBR expected then government borrowing would be substantially higher than it has been.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

blueblue said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see The Mail put their weight behind "Feel-good Phil" to replace May.....
    TMay emphatically denied the possibility of another GE upon being asked by a journalist this morning, while visiting Norway. Her advisers are making sure she doesn't go for a walk in the hills.. . .
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I thought our problem was saving too little - surely the tax burden should be on spending rather than income ?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Because of the effect of withdrawing personal allowances, we have an effective 60% band from £100 000 to 123 000
    It would be interesting to know since that came into force how many people now earn £99k, but take more holidays.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

So far, anyway.
    But the actual government borrowing is very similar to what the OBR forecast in March 2016 and that's not including the OBR's tendency up to then to forecast lower borrowing than what eventually arose.

It seems highly likely if the economy was smaller than what the OBR expected then government borrowing would be substantially higher than it has been.
    And that's before we consider how GDP could have been bigger during the last two years.

Exports would almost certainly have been lower with a higher Sterling exchange rate.

Its difficult to imagine construction increasing more than it has done.

Would government spending have been higher ? I doubt it.

So what does that leave ?

Higher house prices and more consumer spending with borrowed money on imported goods.

Does anyone think that's what the country needs ?
  • Options
    'Brazil shows how the elite responds when forced to choose between Fascism and the Left' - Paul Mason

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/south-america/2018/10/brazil-shows-how-elite-responds-when-forced-choose-between-fascism-and
  • Options

On the betting front, Indiana is too close to call,a good opportunity for an arb,and Missouri has some 11-8 on the Blues which looks too big.I can't find any odds for Georgia but Arizona is like Indiana,too close to call,Blues best-priced 11-10,Reds 5-6.I'd take a Blue gain in Georgia for over 6-4 too if i can find a market.
    4 states which could go either way.

What do you make of the Georgia governor race (the Dem is at 2.44 on Betfair exchange) ?

The runup to the midterms is getting quite uncomfortable for the Republicans:
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/10/2018-midterms-battlegrounds-republican-spending.html
    ...As the New York Times reported over the weekend, Democrats are set to spend $143 million on TV ads through the election compared to Republicans’ $86 million. Democratic candidates aren’t just awash in the most obvious battlegrounds, like those districts with Republican incumbents that Hillary Clinton carried in 2016: They’ve got money up and down the ballot.

Democrats have been disciplined in using that money to bash Republicans over their top issue: that Republicans have tried, and will try again, to repeal protections for people with pre-existing conditions. It’s an issue that works in every district. It works in a coastal Florida district. It’s worked so well in a theoretically safe Wisconsin district that incumbent Rep. Glenn Grothman recently “pleaded with party leaders to invest in a nationwide TV ad that could run in competitive districts like his, defending the House GOP’s Obamacare repeal bill that passed the chamber last year,” according to Politico. (Party leaders said no....
  • Options

justin124 said:

My back of a fag packet calculation suggests raising the basic rate to 25p would only allow for a 5% reduction in the rate of VAT, unless you thought there would be a singificant behavioural effect
    I have done the detailed maths - but in 1979 a 7% VAT increase was accompanied by a 3% reduction in the standard rate and a very significant cut in the higher rates of Income Tax. Doubtless there would be some behavioural effects from such a progressive change in the tax burden with those likely to have a higher Marginal Propensity to Consume being the main beneficiaries.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Standards at Oxford.

https://tinyurl.com/y88nx62c

It is bit depressing that the article starts off with a clearly falsifiable fact: “In summer 2012, English tuition fees suddenly tripled to become the highest in the world”. Highest in Europe, for sure, but not in the world. They are cheaper than US state universities and much cheaper than US private universities.

The article then says something that I agree with: “Labour ... cannot go into an election telling young people that if they are unlucky enough to have started university the day before a Labour government is elected, they will still have to pay off a £30,000 loan, just to cover their fees.’

And it comes to a solution: "How will we pay for this? The answer is another question: if the rest of Europe can do it, why can’t we?”

Is that really it? We are all familiar to our cost with the depressingly low standards of Oxford PPE and the generation of vacuous pols it has produced. It seems that Oxford Geography is as bad. No costing at all, no examination of different alternatives, no serious analysis of the differences between continental Europe and the UK (e.g., in Germany, much lower proportions of the population go to University).

And finally, at the end of the article the traditional Corbynista free lunch, “we could raise taxes on wealth, on corporations and on people receiving the highest incomes to the levels of the rest of western Europe.”

So even at the end, a cop-out. Facebook & Amazon will pay. In fact, there is no reason why higher levels of Income Tax should not fund this. If numbers at University are reduced to German or Swiss levels and the money is raised in a sensible manner, the people benefiting from Universities would (in the main) end up paying.

I.e., the situation needs returning to before New Labour got their sweaty hands on it.

I think they get to their "fact" about highest in the world, even US, by including US community colleges.
    You mean by including things that are not universities ... because Community Colleges don’t offer degrees.
    Well yes, but Gruadian / facts / figures ....

The Guardian quietly issued a sheepish correction last week, admitting they got their benefit cap figures out by a mere 5,100%.

https://order-order.com/2018/10/23/guardian-out-by-5100/

Also, I guess they would argue that a significant number of people go to community college to get an "Associate degree" or then use the grades to transfer to a full university course with those credits.

Edit - According to wikipedia, since 2013, some Community Colleges have offered bachelor's degrees.
    My wife started at community college before transferring to Berkeley on a scholarship
  • Options
    justin124 said:

We'd have to have left the EU (and presumably finished the transitional period) first.
  • Options

justin124 said:

We'd have to have left the EU (and presumably finished the transitional period) first.
    Work in Progress!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Work in Progress!
    Yep!
  • Options
    By the standards of the IFS, probably can be considered a B+ mark, to get such a headline.

The Budget has been branded "a bit of a gamble" by a respected economic research group.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46030166

• Options
    BREAKING: Vandals smash Scout Hut windows in Shanklin

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/17188571.vandals-smash-scout-hut-windows-in-shanklin/
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

I notice that consumer spending in France was 1.5% lower in September than it was a year ago:

https://www.insee.fr/en/statistiques/3639195

By comparison in the UK it was 3% higher.

Now imagine that these numbers were reversed with consumer spending up 3% in France and down 1.5% in the UK.

Would the consequent apocalyptic reporting be blaming Brexit or austerity or both ?

You can always turn an economic statistic to prove the point you want to make. So you could say that the British are having more fun. Or you could say that prices in the UK are higher so people are having to spend more just to keep up.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    IanB2 said:
    Because of Brexit?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    IanB2 said:
    Slow news day, is it?
    Nigelb said:
    Carter's quite right. Given all that's going on on Georgia at the moment, it would be much better to have a third party in charge of arrangements. That is not to say Kemp would rig the ballot, merely that if it's a narrow win he's leaving himself open to accusations of having done so.
  • Options

I notice that consumer spending in France was 1.5% lower in September than it was a year ago:

Now imagine that these numbers were reversed with consumer spending up 3% in France and down 1.5% in the UK.

Would the consequent apocalyptic reporting be blaming Brexit or austerity or both ?

you could say that the British are having more fun.
    The British having more fun than the French? That really would be an inversion of national stereotypes!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

We now have the 1% paying 27% of all income tax. What was that proportion under previous Labour Govts.?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

kyf_100 said:

Pulpster, that was David's tax :)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. B2, Genseric up to no good again, I see.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300

As with Brexit, I suspect it's a fight JMc and JC have chosen to sit out while in opposition. It would turn the debate onto their tax policies ("Corbyn's tax attack on middle England") when they can see hay to be made with the Tories' "little extras" for schools etc.

(That said, I think opposing the higher rate change would hardly have surprised anyone.)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,504
    ydoethur said:

The British having more fun than the French? That really would be an inversion of national stereotypes!
    Perhaps French fun is better value.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Perhaps French fun is better value.
    They'll still all have a good wine about that remark.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Envy is a terrible thing, get out and earn more than £892.
This discussion has been closed.