Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After 30 years the longest lasting poll series in British poli

Comments

• A Labour councillor who tried to smuggle drugs into a music festival has resigned as a councillor having already left his cabinet post.

Ishmael Osamor, 29, had pleaded guilty to having £2,500-worth of drugs, at last year's Bestival event in Dorset.

Osamor, Osamor... haven't I heard that somewhere ;)
  • Worrying how sad this actually makes me.... Not a lot but enough to be disconcerting....
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751

A Labour councillor who tried to smuggle drugs into a music festival has resigned as a councillor having already left his cabinet post.

Ishmael Osamor, 29, had pleaded guilty to having £2,500-worth of drugs, at last year's Bestival event in Dorset.

His mother has bin laden down by her many acts of plagiarism.

She is also noted for her fervent and doubtless sincere desire to clamp down on drug culture.

Good night.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574
    But which one ?
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/413892-bannon-planning-to-campaign-for-brat-in-virginia
    “Bannon planning to campaign for Brat in Virginia...”
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    John_M said:

Is it:

'Let's remain in a reformed (no laughing at the back there!) EU?'

That's one of my favourites.
    The brazen audacity of it is quite something, isn't it.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

There is some weapons grade nerd shit going down on PB today.

I like vi.

Vi should be buried with a note apologising for its existence. Upgrade to Kate or Geany... or if you MUST do legacy stuff, Nano
    Is vi/nano the new leave/remain? :o
    No.

Vi is an abomination unto Nuggan
    You mean like rocks, babies, accordion players and the colour blue?
    Exactly!

It is nice to see someone understands
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

It's my general experience that people who have one very niche, nerdy interest, are highly likely to other very nerdy interests. But for once it's in a direction completely alien to me.
    Are we talking about first class air travel or the best posh English sparkling wines again?
    The first class air travel ‘debate’ is by some distance the most cringeworthy non-political discussion on here. A frequent, yet unwelcome, episode.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    George Osborne on Newsnight.

AndyJS said:

alex. said:

Anyone watching this documentary on pre Grenfell fires on BBC2? Harrowing stuff.

Is it about previous fires in Grenfell Tower or in other places?
    Other places, such as Lakanal House in 2009.
    Thanks.
  • TonyTony Posts: 159
    ydoethur said:

A Labour councillor who tried to smuggle drugs into a music festival has resigned as a councillor having already left his cabinet post.

I'm still amazed the judge accepted that was all for his personal use and that of a couple of friends.
    Something very odd with this judgement, caught with 30g of ecstasy, that's nearly 300 single doses. Wtf.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

It's my general experience that people who have one very niche, nerdy interest, are highly likely to other very nerdy interests. But for once it's in a direction completely alien to me.
    Klingon?
    Might as well be!
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I'm still amazed the judge accepted that was all for his personal use and that of a couple of friends.
    It is either bullshit story or he has an incredible drug problem and needs an immediate intervention.
    The intervention required after imbibing all of that would begin with defibrillators and move to several weeks in intensive care.
    I don’t know, SeanT back in the day would have probably given it a good go without need for namby pamby medical help....

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Are we talking about first class air travel or the best posh English sparkling wines again?
    Well I can at least comprehend those even though I have never experienced them.
  • AndyJS said:

Replacing evan Davis in new job shock?
  • AndyJS said:

They have any old nobodies on these days. Newsnight like QT needs taking out the back and shot.

ydoethur said:

It is either bullshit story or he has an incredible drug problem and needs an immediate intervention.
    Well it cannot be that bad a drug problem, since they didn't quit until after conviction, and was apparently acting as a Cabinet Member until recently too.
  • Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

The first class air travel ‘debate’ is by some distance the most cringeworthy non-political discussion on here. A frequent, yet unwelcome, episode.
    Snob class air travel, surely.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    While Germany is in political turmoil, the Anglo-French alliance can rise up to replace them?
  • ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,501
    edited October 2018

Son of Shadow International Development Secretary Kate Osamor. Sorry for her - must be horrible as a mum. Hope she doesn't go all Elizabeth Pargiter
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

While Germany is in political turmoil, the Anglo-French alliance can rise up to replace them?
    Not while Macron is in charge in France, Sarkozy was more Anglophile than Merkel, Merkel is more Anglophile than Macron
    AndyJS said:

Says the public finances in much better shape than in 2010 and Hammond's statement yesterday a natural endpoint
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Says the public finances in much better shape than in 2010
    I would bloody well hope so!
  • AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Tony said:

ydoethur said:

Something very odd with this judgement, caught with 30g of ecstasy, that's nearly 300 single doses. Wtf.
    This is easy to research on the internet. If it’s 30g it’s 30 doses, not 300. Ten each over a four day festival. Personal use is probably defendable.
    Osborne says Brexit was won by an alliance of the 'insecure' low paid and the 'insulated' retired
    edited October 2018
    Osborne also says the Tories did not win in 2017 by trying to 'outUKIP UKIP' and will not win in 2022 by trying to 'outCorbyn Corbyn' and needs to be fiscally conservative but socially progressive.

Though he says there is a problem of returns to capital being more than returns to income, solved by expanding home ownership and increasing pensions and the minimum wage

Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

I've never had the dubious honour of travelling in anything other than economy class.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    H

This is a disgrace.

I recently donated £100 to the Guardian, in part because of their ICM polls.

Grrr.

Was that for help with the "little extras"?
    I was moved by a recent piece that said most of the good news is behind paywalls, and the people that can't afford good journalism end up with fake news.

The Guardian does some pretty good coverage, and are one of the few papers to hold up their hands and publish corrections and clarifications.
    There’s a difference between can’t afford and won’t pay for. The latter is in the ascendancy, unfortunately. The Times has regular articles from younger journalists bemoaning their position without, seemingly, realising that their contemporaries believe in intellectual property theft as a way of life.
    Polly Toynbee calls Osborne 'despicable' to his face for hitting the poor with benefit cuts after Evan Davis says he maybe closer to her than some Tory backbenchers
  • How
    AndyJS said:

Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

I've never had the dubious honour of travelling in anything other than economy class.
    I thought it was part of the selection criteria for being allowed to post on PB that one regularly travels business or first class and never ever ever uses peasant wagons to get around town.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,067
    AndyJS said:

Anazina said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

I have been bumped to Business or First Class on a number of occasions. It feels even better when you haven't paid for it. My favourite was UTA, now sadly gone but not forgotten.

English Sparkling Wine? waste of money when you can get a case of Thornbridge ale for the same money.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    kingbongo said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

It has a reputation for being hideously slow and resource intensive. Which was what I was alluding to...

And what does it have a reputation for doing well?
    Eclipse is OK. I used it for years with PDT plugins. For Java I used to use the Borland IDE and loved it
    I recall Borland C.

Ok, so Eclipse is just an average sort of a thing?

I'm killing myself currently on a Python cross.
    all these IDEs are good - Eclipse is lumbered with it’s Java heritage - unless you are developing some major enterprise code there really is no need to use anything so heavyweight and so chock full of configuration management issues - if you’re using Python just use Jupiter Notebools or PyCharm or something Pythony
    Why not simply use Sublime Text

Scott_P said:

apt-get install nano (or yum install nano, etc)

Doesn't work like that...
    Back in the days of floppy disks, I used to carry my own editor with me.

Wordstar :o
    I still use joe with Wordstar bindings when editing config files from the command line
  • As we are deploying nuclear weapon level nerdom....gitkraken is the best git client I have found.
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340

As we are deploying nuclear weapon level nerdom....gitkraken is the best git client I have found.

Why use a client? Much better to just use the command line. git reset —hard is your friend :)
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2018

As we are deploying nuclear weapon level nerdom....gitkraken is the best git client I have found.

Why use a client? Much better to just use the command line. git reset —hard is your friend :)
    It really is a lovely product. One click operations, can graphically see branches / merges, state of of local and remote repos etc, built in integration for github, gitlab etc
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited October 2018
    Just been catching up with George Osborne on Newsnight - Key message:

"It's still everyone else's fault but mine..."
    GIN1138 said:

Just been catching up with George Osborne on Newsnight - Key message:

"It's still everyone else's fault but mine..."

He has managed to Blair himself. Totally hated by everyone.

Still a sharp political mind, just no soul.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

This is a disgrace....

Have a word with the Chief Sec to the Treasury.
    I like Liz, always nice to meet another fellow Republican Tory.
    She makes such cheesy speeches though.
    She is also a former LibDem!
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695

O/T Interesting to see Mrs T posting 50% opinion poll ratings just before she introduced the poll tax to Scotland. How different things may have been had she not done so but carried on into the 90s.

Blame Oliver bloody Letwin and David "Two Brain - No Sense" Willets.
  • TonyTony Posts: 159
    Anazina said:

Tony said:

ydoethur said:

This is easy to research on the internet. If it’s 30g it’s 30 doses, not 300. Ten each over a four day festival. Personal use is probably defendable.
    I suggest you look at better research sites, 120mg is standard dose, 1g would put you in hospital.
  • ‪90% of voters supported the cash boost to the NHS, 86% thought it a good idea to increase the living wage and 84% agreed with the increase in the personal allowance to £12,500 next year. Freezing the duty on beer, cider and spirits was supported by 48% of those asked.‬
  • Asked who would make the better chancellor, 26 per cent said Mr Hammond, 10 per cent John McDonnell and 64 per cent did not know. Among Labour voters, 29 per cent said Mr McDonnell, 6 per cent said Mr Hammond but 65 per cent said they did not know.
    edited October 2018
    Odd polling. People seem positive to neutral on budget, but boost for ranty Granddad whose shadow chancellor isn't rated.

What's wrong with the official git command line tools?
    Tony said:

Anazina said:

Tony said:

ydoethur said:

I suggest you look at better research sites, 120mg is standard dose, 1g would put you in hospital.
    Apparently the judge said:

"As it's for personal use, so long as you can consume your 'stash' in the court room before we adjourn to demonstrate this, then you are free to go."
  • rcs1000 said:

What's wrong with the official git command line tools?
    Nothing in particular, just GitKraken adds lots of nice features in a really clean UI. I particularly like the graphical branches / commit view.
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

Odd polling. People seem positive to neutral on budget, but boost for ranty Granddad whose shadow chancellor isn't rated.

Just a guess but maybe Labour weren't 6 points behind to begin with and the latest poll is more accurate?
    edited October 2018

Just a guess but maybe Labour weren't 6 points behind to begin with and the latest poll is more accurate?
    Regression to the mean seems like the most likely explanation, or all the Tories have buggered off abroad on half term.
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Doesn't work like that...
    Back in the days of floppy disks, I used to carry my own editor with me.

Wordstar :o
    I still use joe with Wordstar bindings when editing config files from the command line
    I used Joe and I could still remember the Wordstar key sequences. Scary stuff :O

These days I use Kate for its ability to edit across remote networks using "fish". Very handy and save you the bother of logging in (as long as you have Kwallet running)
    Barnesian said:

Scott_P said:

Vi should be buried with a note apologising for its existence. Upgrade to Kate or Geany... or if you MUST do legacy stuff, Nano

vi is usually the only tool installed on the boxes we have
    I tried that phrase in Google translate. Not sure what language it is. It returned "apt-get install nano(またはyum install nanoなど". Not sure that helps.
    The language is "Geek", linux dialect
    edited October 2018

Beware of Geeks baring Gits :D:D:D

• As we are deploying nuclear weapon level nerdom....gitkraken is the best git client I have found.

Especially ones keen on rebasing..
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,919
    edited October 2018

As we are deploying nuclear weapon level nerdom....

Sunil's Great British Railway Journeys, 2018 edition - all routes Sunil did for the first time ever this year:

February
    Bermondsey Flyover (London Bridge to New Cross Gate)
    Finsbury Park to St Pancras

April
    Chester Zoo monorail
    Ordsall Curve (Manchester Deansgate to Victoria)
    Lancaster to Heysham
    Newport to Swansea

May
    Lee to Grove Park (Lee Spur)
    Northallerton to Sunderland
    Filton Abbey Wood to Patchway
    Newton Abbott to Paignton
    Hawkeridge curve (near Westbury)
    Cardiff Queen St to Cardiff Bay
    Upwey to Yeovil Pen Mill
    Water Orton to Wilnecote via Whitchurch/Kingsbury junctions

June
    Cardiff Central to Barry Island
    Grangetown to Penarth
    Strawberry Hill to Fulwell
    Acton Diveunder (eastbound only)
    Exeter St David's to Barnstaple
    St James' Park (Exeter) to Exmouth

July
    Darlington to Eaglescliffe to Saltburn
    Darlington to Bishop Auckland
    Cardiff Central to Coryton
    Cardiff Central to Radyr via Ninian Park
    Cardiff Queen Street to Merthyr Tydfil
    Pontypridd to Treherbert
    Cardiff Queen Street to Rhymney
    Abercynon to Aberdare
    Willington to Ilkeston (via Castle Donington and Toton)

August
    Cardiff to Ebbw Vale Town
    Barry to Bridgend
    Bridgend to Maesteg
    Llandudno Junction to Blaenau Ffestiniog
    Machynlleth to Pwllheli
    Swansea to Milford Haven

September
    Clarbeston Road to Fishguard Harbour
    Ferryside to Whitland direct (Carmarthen avoider westbound)
    Gowerton to Llansamlet direct (Swansea avoider eastbound)
    Lockerbie (ie. Carstairs south junc.) to Haymarket
    Edinburgh to Tweedbank
    Carlisle to Glasgow Central via Dumfries
    Carlisle to Barrow via Whitehaven
    Glasgow Central to Partick
    Hyndland to Dalmuir via Yoker
    Paisley Gilmour Street to Wemyss Bay
    Newton Abbot to Plymouth
    Plymouth to Gunnislake
    Keyham to Truro
    Truro to Falmouth Docks
    Par to Newquay
    Truro to Penzance
    St Erth to St Ives
    Liskeard to Looe (inc. Coombe southbound only)
    Selby to York (direct)
    Selby to Sherburn-in-Elmet
    Habrough to Barton-on-Humber
    Craven Arms to Llanelli
    Thornaby to Stockton
    Middlesbrough to Whitby
    Wakefield Westgate to Kirkgate
    Hebden Bridge to Burnley Manchester Road
    Whitland to Pembroke Dock
    Pontyclun to Ninian Park (Leckwith Loop)
    Lawrence Hill to Keynsham (Dr Days Curve)

• October
    Kirknewton to Uddingston via Shotts
    Kilwinning to Largs
    Ardrossan South Beach to Harbour
    Troon to Kilmarnock
    Port Glasgow to Gourock
    Glasgow Central to Neilston
    Glasgow Central to Paisley Canal
    Pollokshaws West to East Kilbride
    Glasgow Central to Cambuslang (via Argyle Street)
    Cambuslang to Larkhall
    Polmont to Glasgow Queen St via Cumbernauld
    Greenfaulds to Hamilton Central via Whifflet
    Drem to North Berwick
    Carstairs East junction to Carstairs
    Mount Florida to Kings Park
    Bellshill to Motherwell
    Shieldmuir to Carluke via Wishaw
    Carluke to Lanark
    Rutherglen to Whifflet via Carmyle
    Glasgow Central to Newton via Maxwell Park
    Holytown to Wishaw
    Westerton to Milngavie
    Dalreoch to Helensburgh Central
    Glasgow Queen Street to Anniesland via Maryhill
    Bellgrove to Springburn
    Linlithgow to Dalmeny
    Llangennech to Briton Ferry Up Fast Loop Junction (Swansea District Line)
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787

Don’t look a pushmi-pullyu in the mouth.
    edited October 2018
    "Our rudeness to European allies is shameful

Max Hastings

Brexiteer bluster and triumphalism about the war have led us to treat admirable nations with nothing but contempt" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/our-rudeness-to-european-allies-is-shameful-g9tqtfckg
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    AndyJS said:

Max Hastings

Brexiteer bluster and triumphalism about the war have led us to treat admirable nations with nothing but contempt" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/our-rudeness-to-european-allies-is-shameful-g9tqtfckg

The comments below are interesting
    This sounds like digital crack cocaine:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/29/technology/bytedance-app-funding-china.html
    The app is engineered for swift, maximal addictiveness.

Open Douyin or TikTok and you are plunged right into a video. Swipe up to get another, each refresh of the screen providing a dopamine jolt. The videos fill your phone display entirely, blocking the clock at the top and preventing you from seeing how many hours you have spent watching puppies and comedy skits and synchronized dancing.

Satsuki Hatashita, a 20-year-old college student in western Japan, has been hooked for months. She now knows not to use the app before taking a shower. “I wouldn’t be able to shower for a long time, until I finally stopped watching TikTok,” she said.
    She, too, was surprised to learn that the app was Chinese....

...Weibo, a popular Twitter-like platform, can be wearying. But not Douyin, Ms. Tao said.
    It’s because each video is so short, she said, that she can end up spending hours on what amounts to channel-surfing. “Anything longer than 15 seconds, and I might start to feel tired.”
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

October
    Kilwinning to Largs
    (Snip)

Be careful Sunil, or I'll start posting a list of all the walks I've done ... ;)
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited October 2018
    AndyJS said:

Max Hastings

Who could argue with that? It's putting us in a basket with Trump's Americans which is not a good place to be.
    Roger said:

AndyJS said:

Max Hastings

Who could argue with that? It's putting us in a basket with Trump's Americans which is not a good place to be.
    With the deplorables....

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083

Regression to the mean seems like the most likely explanation, or all the Tories have buggered off abroad on half term.
    I hope said Tories are all enjoying the Italian autumn weather...
    justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

This is a disgrace....

Have a word with the Chief Sec to the Treasury.
    I like Liz, always nice to meet another fellow Republican Tory.
    She makes such cheesy speeches though.
    She is also a former LibDem!
    SDP, to be correct.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    Nigelb said:
    Doesn't sound great for Dems, but the key figure I wanted was how early voting this time compares to early voting previously.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    matt said:

AndyJS said:

Max Hastings

The comments below are interesting
    Almost tempted to sign on to read them!
    Cyclefree said:
    These words proved prescient:

We could treat this like a divorce: a protracted, intermittently painful, detailed haggling over who gets what and on what terms, until bored and exhausted by the hand to hand fighting, we retire from the scene, bruised and trying hard to convince ourselves that all things considered the settlement hasn’t been too bad. Meanwhile the bewildered children look on, wondering what the hell is going on.

But that was always likely to happen the instant de facto control of the talks was ceded by the Council to the Commission.

October
    Kilwinning to Largs
    Troon to Kilmarnock
    Port Glasgow to Gourock
    Cambuslang to Larkhall
    Drem to North Berwick
    Bellshill to Motherwell
    Carluke to Lanark
    Holytown to Wishaw
    Westerton to Milngavie
    Bellgrove to Springburn
    Linlithgow to Dalmeny

Somebody needs to stay in more...
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Interesting take - which omits any analysis of EU action in the event of no deal:

https://twitter.com/CER_Grant/status/1057401554591014912?s=20
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

We could treat this like a divorce: a protracted, intermittently painful, detailed haggling over who gets what and on what terms, until bored and exhausted by the hand to hand fighting, we retire from the scene, bruised and trying hard to convince ourselves that all things considered the settlement hasn’t been too bad. Meanwhile the bewildered children look on, wondering what the hell is going on.

But that was always likely to happen the instant de facto control of the talks was ceded by the Council to the Commission.
    In divorces, choosing the other sides lawyers and positions is not possible.

It is striking how incompetent our side has been though:

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1057269079575289861?s=19
    edited October 2018
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

In divorces, choosing the other sides lawyers and positions is not possible.
    That's not actually what I said. But I'm not going to get dragged into an interminable and fruitless discussion about the EU and how it either doesn't understand or ignores its own rules.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    ydoethur said:

Framing it as a power grab doesn't make sense given that the EU27 leaders have consistently resisted any attempt to go behind Barnier's back.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Tony said:

ydoethur said:

A rave a week for the next 3 years for you and a friend ?
  • Roger said:

AndyJS said:

Max Hastings

Hastings gets the right wing English nationalism that dominates the thinking of the Bucanneers spot on: Cod Churchill and a general dislike of Europeans, who they see as enemies. No wonder they all admire Trump so much.

rkrkrk said:

Nigelb said:
    Doesn't sound great for Dems, but the key figure I wanted was how early voting this time compares to early voting previously.
    The article says that early absentee voting normally favours the Republicans. Early in person voting, which is due to start shortly in Florida, is more usually tilted towards the Democrats.

I'm not sure how much we read into this, frankly. Absentee ballots are likely to be from the most committed party members. That said, the reported very sharp increase in them seems odd.

What we can say is that if the only gubernatorial gain the Dems have is Nevada they will have had a truly dreadful result.

ydoethur said:

Framing it as a power grab doesn't make sense given that the EU27 leaders have consistently resisted any attempt to go behind Barnier's back.
    Indeed, the EU27 have maintained unity behind Barnier that contrasts sharply with our own cabinet, who seem to be unable to agree anything at all.

Witless incompetence is the hallmark of this government.

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1057271466314612736?s=19
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    edited October 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Tony said:

ydoethur said:

I hadn't realised until I read about that case that the whole intent to supply thing is actually intent to supply and make a profit.

Personally I think he should have gone to prison unless he'd provided information that led the authorities to a "proper" dealer.
    For those who are interested, David Axelrod gives his predictions here:

I’ve always thought that Democrats will take the House back. I’ve always thought that 30 seats would be a good showing. On the average, the party out of power wins 32 seats. Given everything—all of the sort of structural obstacles because of redistricting—30 seats would be an accomplishment. I still think they’re going to land in that zone, and I don’t think it’s likely to go much higher. I think the Senate—I’ve said from the beginning that if Democrats could hold the margin at 51-49, given the historic obstacles they face, that would be an accomplishment. It may be that Republicans add a seat or two.

There are a couple of other storylines I’d watch on election night. One is governorships. I think Democrats are going to take a significant number of statehouses, which is not inconsequential going into both the presidential election and redistricting. So, you look at states—including Florida and a crescent from Kansas to Iowa across the Midwest all the way to Pennsylvania—and I think Democrats are going to make some significant gains in governorships. And the last part of that storyline is, when you consider the states that delivered the presidency to Trump—Florida, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania—you’ve got incumbent Democratic senators up in all of those states. I think it’s more likely than not that every one of those senators is going to be reelected, and that you’re going to see governorship[s] shift in several of those states.
    So, I think that should be a sobering result for the White House and for Republicans, and it has some augurings for 2020.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/10/30/david-axelrod-2020-democratic-candidates-trump-harris-gillibrand-bernie-castro-patrick-221951
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    Nigelb said:

Roger said:

AndyJS said:

Max Hastings

With the deplorables....

And phrases like that is why he won.
  • ydoethur said:

I imagine EU27 leaders feel they have better things to do. The Commission takes its orders from the Council.

HYUFD said:

Osborne says Brexit was won by an alliance of the 'insecure' low paid and the 'insulated' retired

Well, many Brexiteers on here are neither.

I wonder if Osborne appreciates the irony that he himself helped to ‘insulate’ the retired with his policies.
  • OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    ydoethur said:

October
    Kilwinning to Largs
    Troon to Kilmarnock
    Port Glasgow to Gourock
    Cambuslang to Larkhall
    Drem to North Berwick
    Bellshill to Motherwell
    Carluke to Lanark
    Holytown to Wishaw
    Westerton to Milngavie
    Bellgrove to Springburn
    Linlithgow to Dalmeny

Somebody needs to stay in more...
    +1
    HYUFD said:

Osborne also says the Tories did not win in 2017 by trying to 'outUKIP UKIP' and will not win in 2022 by trying to 'outCorbyn Corbyn' and needs to be fiscally conservative but socially progressive.

Though he says there is a problem of returns to capital being more than returns to income, solved by expanding home ownership and increasing pensions and the minimum wage

I think Osborne’s view is that it’s hopeless to think you can control immigration numbers, which are economically beneficial anyway, and madness to try. Further, that European integration is inevitable and that the UK must play a strong role right at the heart of that club.

Whilst I respect that point of view it’s pretty clear he’d have offered no answers to the electorate on either of those two questions and just regrets he didn’t put out better spin.

As I’ve said before he’s a blue Blairite, the only difference being he believes in slightly lower taxes.
  • tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Tony said:

ydoethur said:

I hadn't realised until I read about that case that the whole intent to supply thing is actually intent to supply and make a profit.

Personally I think he should have gone to prison unless he'd provided information that led the authorities to a "proper" dealer.

MPs’ kids get treated differently. Many years ago a friend of mine was bottled in the face in a club by the very drunk son of a Tory MP, now deceased. I was flown back from Madrid by the Met to be a witness in the case. On the first day of the trial, the young man submitted a guilty plea and ended up getting 25 hours community service - or whatever that was called in the 1980s.

• SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Indeed, the EU27 have maintained unity behind Barnier that contrasts sharply with our own cabinet, who seem to be unable to agree anything at all.

So easy to sling out comments like that, Brexit is and always was going to be extremely difficult, given the loony right within the Tory party. I think May has done ok. after all she is still there despite all the predictions on here that she would be gone.

What you never here on here is how the critics would have approached Brexit, apart from vague talk of Canada or Denmark solutions.

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

So easy to sling out comments like that, Brexit is and always was going to be extremely difficult, given the loony right within the Tory party. I think May has done ok. after all she is still there despite all the predictions on here that she would be gone.

What you never here on here is how the critics would have approached Brexit, apart from vague talk of Canada or Denmark solutions.
    The Government should have been bold and up front, coming out straight away for a transitional arrangement along the lines of Norway.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    O/t but did anyone else watch ‘The Fires that Foretold Grenfell” onCC2 last night? A frightening tale of what appeared to be official ignoring of warnings from those ‘at the sharp end’.
    Such a pity we’ve got to wait so long for the Report of the Grenfell Inquiry.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

HYUFD said:

I wonder if Osborne appreciates the irony that he himself helped to ‘insulate’ the retired with his policies.
    Osborne states it as if somehow the less well off should nt have the right to vote
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

HYUFD said:

He came across to me as slightly surprised that the insulated retired had, in effect, teamed up with the left behind of the seaside and northern post-industrial towns and voted to leave.

He said he can't see it happening again.

Evan should have asked if that prediction included the 2nd vote...
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

‪90% of voters supported the cash boost to the NHS, 86% thought it a good idea to increase the living wage and 84% agreed with the increase in the personal allowance to £12,500 next year. Freezing the duty on beer, cider and spirits was supported by 48% of those asked.‬

People like more spending and lower taxes

People like money

Colour me shocked
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    For those of us who have been commenting on pb.com since near the beginning it is sobering to realise that the age of this site (14 years and 7 months) is nearly half the age of the Guardian/ICM series (29 years and 9 months).

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Tony said:

ydoethur said:

MPs’ kids get treated differently. Many years ago a friend of mine was bottled in the face in a club by the very drunk son of a Tory MP, now deceased. I was flown back from Madrid by the Met to be a witness in the case. On the first day of the trial, the young man submitted a guilty plea and ended up getting 25 hours community service - or whatever that was called in the 1980s.
    For the many shots, not the few pushers?
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    edited October 2018
    Looks like the fourth Reich is going to have to wait only 1 in 3 german tanks is working

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/inland/nur-jeder-dritte-neue-panzer-der-bundeswehr-ist-einsatzbereit-15866260.html
  • Charles said:

‪90% of voters supported the cash boost to the NHS, 86% thought it a good idea to increase the living wage and 84% agreed with the increase in the personal allowance to £12,500 next year. Freezing the duty on beer, cider and spirits was supported by 48% of those asked.‬

People like more spending and lower taxes

People like money

Colour me shocked

The key thing is that Hammond framed it all as a Deal Dividend, not a Brexit Dividend. How many Tory MPs will vote against a deal that delivers what the budget sets out? How many Cabinet ministers will? It’s very smart politics from Hammond.

This discussion has been closed.