Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The pound rises on the FOREX markets after the BrexSec reports

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited October 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The pound rises on the FOREX markets after the BrexSec reports that a deal maybe only three weeks away

Brexit secretary confirms deal expected by mid-November https://t.co/Xo4xGOB5SG

Read the full story here

Comments

• Hurrah.
  • Shows how incompetent David Davis is that Raab can sort out a deal in a few months whilst Davis couldn’t in two years.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    edited October 2018
    Norman Northern Ireland?

I see. Thanks.
  • Shows how incompetent David Davis is that Raab can sort out a deal in a few months whilst Davis couldn’t in two years.

Absolutely. Davis and Boris were hopeless but they had their chance and blew it
  • FPT
    ydoethur said:

I've often said that if we don't get May's deal, then the alternative is no-deal by default, or no Brexit.

Part of me wants No Deal just so it’ll destroy the British Eurosceptic movement forever.

Short term pain for long term gain.
    It's already been destroyed.

Just as the Anti-Corn Law League was destroyed in 1846, and for the same reason.

Nah, Brexiteers are like Carthage after the Battle of Cannae.

They may have been lucky in winning a battle but all they’ve done is rouse their opponents into giving them a shellacking.

Think Zama meets Kleidion.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    We've been here before. I'm expecting a deal to be done. I'm also expecting a few more turns of the screw first.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

We've been here before. I'm expecting a deal to be done. I'm also expecting a few more turns of the screw first.

Hello !

• We've been here before. I'm expecting a deal to be done. I'm also expecting a few more turns of the screw first.

I expect a deal to be done, too. The alternative is too bleak for all but the most swivel-eyed and insulated of the Buccaneers. But getting to one involves finding a form of words that can be spun domestically by the government as not being a total capitulation. That is surely going to take a while longer yet.

• AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited October 2018

Yep. Also could be seen as a set-up to "we were totally being reasonable and were totally ready to deal, but then that mean M. Barnier double-crossed us. Boooo!" etc, etc.

EDIT: I see M. Barnier has outsourced the meanness and double-crossery to the Irish.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758

FPT

ydoethur said:

I've often said that if we don't get May's deal, then the alternative is no-deal by default, or no Brexit.

Part of me wants No Deal just so it’ll destroy the British Eurosceptic movement forever.

Just as the Anti-Corn Law League was destroyed in 1846, and for the same reason.

They may have been lucky in winning a battle but all they’ve done is rouse their opponents into giving them a shellacking.

Meets Wolf 359?
  • OneArmedBadgerOneArmedBadger Posts: 41
    edited October 2018
    https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1057669902746697728

The speed with which this ferret was reversed is impressive. Suggests very little optimism that any deal will be done in Nov, which hopefully means that the CJEU will have delivered the judgement on Article 50 revocation by the time the bunfight about amendments gets serious.

The speed with which this ferret was reversed is impressive. Suggests very little optimism that any deal will be done in Nov, which hopefully means that the CJEU will have delivered the judgement on Article 50 revocation by the time the bunfight about amendments gets serious.

Oh dear oh dear.
  • ydoethur said:

FPT

ydoethur said:

Meets Wolf 359?
    Meets Solo: A Star Wars Story.
  • https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1057669902746697728

Brexiteers are so incompetent they couldn’t organise a pregnancy on a council estate.
  • https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1057669902746697728

Brexiteers are so incompetent they couldn’t organise a pregnancy on a council estate.
    To a Brexiteer, telling silly lies to Hilary Benn and the Brexit committee is all in the game, yo. It's not a matter of incompetence.

This November 21st date, when it passes with no further progress made is could hurt market confidence in the Gov't.
  • Pulpstar said:

This November 21st date, when it passes with no further progress made is could hurt market confidence in the Gov't.
    Is Dominic Raab a pound shop Elon Musk?

To a Brexiteer, telling silly lies to Hilary Benn and the Brexit committee is all in the game, yo. It's not a matter of incompetence.
    Perhaps Raab can pass the little lies off as rumours ?

ydoethur said:

FPT

ydoethur said:

Meets Wolf 359?
    Could be worse, at least it's not The Last Jedi.

Pulpstar said:

Nah, he's not electrifying enough.

Pulpstar said:

Don't think so - Musk has put a car into space this year. What's Raab done ?
    Perhaps Raab explaining the Brexit strategy to Joe Rogan might be worth a pop at this point.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2018
    *** Betting Post (remember those? ***

I might come to regret this, but I've taken a big punt on the turnout spreads in SPIN's state turnout markets being too high.

I realise that turnout is expected to be higher than normal for mid-term elections, but comparing the spreads with 538's model and the derisory turnout four years ago in a number of states, the uplift looks too big - especially in the southern states where many people just don't vote.

Take TX for example. OK, it's a high-profile and hotly-contested election this time, but the spread at 47-49 compares with 39.4% estimated in the 538 model and 28.5% four years ago. That's quite a difference.

Or take a lower-profile contest like Mississippi Wicker vs Baria: 29.7% last time, 38.9% 538, compared with SPIN's price of 44-46.

DYOR, I might lose my shirt and so might you, spreads are dangerous etc etc,

2014 turnouts here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/12/opinion/the-worst-voter-turnout-in-72-years.html

I might come to regret this, but I've taken a big punt on the turnout spreads in SPIN's state turnout markets being too high.

I realise that turnout is expected to be higher than normal for mid-term elections, but comparing the spreads with 538's model and the derisory turnout four years ago in a number of states, the uplift looks too big - especially in the southern states where many people just don't vote.

Take TX for example. OK, it's a high-profile and hotly-contested election this time, but the spread at 47-49 compares with 39.4% estimated in the 538 model and 28.5% four years ago. That's quite a difference.

Or take a lower-profile contest like Mississippi Wicker vs Baria: 29.7% last time, 38.9% 538, compared with SPIN's price of 44-46.

2014 turnouts here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/12/opinion/the-worst-voter-turnout-in-72-years.html

Thanks for the research Richard, have sold MS at £15 and TX at £10 a point..
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited October 2018
    Pulpstar said:

2014 turnouts here:

I've bought overall turnout at 43.5% with SPIN.

2014 turnouts here:

I simply cannot see the Democrats taking Texas. No Democrat has won a senatorial race there since 1988, and no new (as opposed to incumbent) Democratic senator has won there since 1971. It may be gradually trending back towards them, like Virginia, but I think we have a fair way to go before they retake it.

If they do take it, great, because apart from anything else it's a very important state in the electoral college. It just seems very unlikely.
  • FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    ydoethur said:

2014 turnouts here:

I simply cannot see the Democrats taking Texas. No Democrat has won a senatorial race there since 1988, and no new (as opposed to incumbent) Democratic senator has won there since 1971. It may be gradually trending back towards them, like Virginia, but I think we have a fair way to go before they retake it.

If they do take it, great, because apart from anything else it's a very important state in the electoral college. It just seems very unlikely.
    Demographics say theirs will eventually but this seems four to eight years too early.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Don't think so - Musk has put a car into space this year. What's Raab done ?
    Raab is still a cadet when it comes to the space stuff.
  • There's a good summary of historical turnout in US elections here (including maps you can hover over to see the figures for each state in 2016, 2014, 2012):

https://www.fairvote.org/voter_turnout#voter_turnout_101
  • Always said Essex is a dump.

A United States congressional candidate has used a picture of a British seaside village to show what could happen if voters do not back President Trump.

An advert used an image of Jaywick Sands, near Clacton in Essex, to attack Nick Stella's Democrat opponent.

The campaign picture, which showed an unpaved road and rundown homes, said: "Help President Trump keep America on track and thriving."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-4604749
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

I don't gamble, but I do greatly appreciate the betting posts and the analysis they contain.
  • *** Betting Post (remember those? ***

I don't gamble, but I do greatly appreciate the betting posts and the analysis they contain.
    Thanks. (I don't gamble either, of course - I invest in the political betting markets!)
  • Pulpstar said:

2014 turnouts here:

are there non-spread equivalents anywhere

Thanks. (I don't gamble either, of course - I invest in the political betting markets!)
    Down that road be danger....!
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,084
    At $1.276 saying that the £ has risen is premature
    Some people might look at cases like these and start to worry about the rights of Irish citizens in the UK after Brexit and the trustworthiness of the British state.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/31/home-office-tells-northern-irish-woman-to-prove-right-to-live-in-belfast
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

ydoethur said:

FPT

ydoethur said:

Meets Wolf 359?
    It'll bland them to death?
  • kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

FPT

ydoethur said:

Meets Wolf 359?
    It'll bland them to death?
    A huge financial disaster and a huge disappointment for those waiting for it.

I'm sure there's an analogy to made about Solo and Brexit.

When I started in 2008, it turned out that the bigger danger was investing in nice safe banks like RBS and Lloyds.

When I started in 2008, it turned out that the bigger danger was investing in nice safe banks like RBS and Lloyds.
    Lloyds would almost certainly have been fine if it hadn't tried to swallow HBOS.

RBS on the other hand was approximately as safe as walking into a meeting of Islington Labour Party and announcing you support the existence of Israel.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    This story leaves me strangely conflicted...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-46047494
  • Nigelb said:

Me too.

Essex is a dump.

Hopefully Alastair Meeks will class up the joint.

Nigelb said:

Me too.

Essex is a dump.

Essex is a story of two halves.
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Unsurprising, as he rhymes with the obsolete Saab.

Nigelb said:

Me too.

Essex is a dump.

He’s moving to Illinois ??

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Me too.

Essex is a dump.

Essex is a story of two halves.
    For sure - The Essex Suffolk border is particularly pleasent. OTOH "Grimsby" was filmed in Tilbury.
  • Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Me too.

Essex is a dump.

He’s moving to Illinois ??

That's a punishment and a half.

Last time I went to Chicago it was soooooo cold and a lot more people would have died if the bullets hadn't frozen mid air.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959

Shows how incompetent David Davis is that Raab can sort out a deal in a few months whilst Davis couldn’t in two years.

That post hasn't exactly stood the test of time!
  • Anyhoo time to go trick or treating.
    One US contest to get PB pulses racing:
    Can ranked-choice voting end ugly election battles? This November, Maine hopes to find out.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/10/31/can-ranked-choice-voting-end-ugly-election-battles-this-november-maine-hopes-find-out/
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    That's great. I've a Cruz margin over O'Rourke spread bet sell at 5% with SPIN. If it ends like this I make money.
    Why does the lead say that the £ is rising when it isn't?
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Nigelb said:

One US contest to get PB pulses racing:
    Can ranked-choice voting end ugly election battles? This November, Maine hopes to find out.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/10/31/can-ranked-choice-voting-end-ugly-election-battles-this-november-maine-hopes-find-out/

Isn't this A********** V*** under a different name? Perhaps TSE could run a thread about it this weekend.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Down to the 9000 Saabs were extremely good cars.

With the 93 and 95 they completely lost their way.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    Maybe Dominic Raab just likes playing the currency markets?
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    edited October 2018
    IanB2 said:

Depends on your scale. GBP/USD rises around 50% of the time on all but the longest timeframes. The greater your timeframe the more disappointing cable (gbp/usd) looks.

We still quote these rates in the traditional way though. The question is how many of your ropey old greenbacks would you need to buy one of our nice proper pounds!?

Underpants are priced in pounds. Dollars too :)

• Some of my family come from Jaywick (they did briefly move out to 'murder mile' in Cyprus)

To be honest I'm not sure they would dispute most of what is said about it.

Beats playing with himself like certain other politicians.

With hindsight it is cute that market traders took his letter at face value.

There may come a time when we miss such a trusting reaction.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Down to the 9000 Saabs were extremely good cars.

With the 93 and 95 they completely lost their way.
    Oi, I still have a Saab, the 95 that they introduced just before they went bust. It isn't that bad, but as so few were made I suspect parts will soon become unavailable.

OGH has done an accidental Marketz before.
    ydoethur said:

Beats playing with himself like certain other politicians.
    Err.. Damian Green?
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Some did, some didn't. I can tell you one thing about currency markets - they're not reacting in the way you think they are, and that applies whoever you are.
  • Nigelb said:

Me too.

Essex is a dump.

Whoa! Hang on a second! Rachel Riley is a Southend lass :)
    Off topic.
  • Scott_P said:
    A pity that I can't find online the Spitting Image sketch where they had Major's cabinet in a brewery unable to organise a pissup
  • Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Raab (the city in Hungary) is now known as Gyor.

Scott_P said:
    A pity that I can't find online the Spitting Image sketch where they had Major's cabinet in a brewery unable to organise a pissup
    Just post Corbyn launching his manifesto, that'll be fine.
  • Raab is just testing the government preferred option - simply declare Brexit without any actual deal or anything actually changing.

Brexit means Brexit. A Red White and Blue Brexit.
    But you haven't actually left!
    Yes we have. We are now free to do whatever we want. We want to be a member of the EU
    But how is that Brexit?
    Because Brexit means Brexit. We have left the European Union and instead become EU members
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    LDs just 2% ahead of UKIP. When's Vince going to let someone else take over?

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

UK, YouGov poll:

CON-ECR: 41%
    LAB-S&D: 39% (+3)
    LDEM-ALDE: 7% (-1)
    UKIP-EFDD: 5% (+1)
    SNP/PCY-G/EFA: 4% (-2)
    GREENS-G/EFA: 2% (-2)

Field work: 29/10/18 – 30/10/18
    Sample size: 1,648"
    AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

UK, YouGov poll:

Since he seems incapable of leading perhaps they could apart some kind of party regent?
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    IanB2 said:

Because it was when the header was written? Duh!
  • AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

UK, YouGov poll:

CON's just 2% ahead of LAB. When's May going to let someone else take over?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    Though it did work, he gained a good number of seats and despite the shambles, indeed because of it, he dominated the news agenda for weeks.

Perhaps there really is no such thing as bad publicity.

AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

UK, YouGov poll:

In the next 6 months.
  • NEW THREAD

• AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

UK, YouGov poll:

SNP drop 2%. When's Nicola going to let someone else take over?
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    Though it did work, he gained a good number of seats and despite the shambles, indeed because of it, he dominated the news agenda for weeks.

Perhaps there really is no such thing as bad publicity.
    Major won the 92 election outright!
  • AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects

UK, YouGov poll:

SNP drop 2%. When's Nicola going to let someone else take over?
    You think SNP/PCY = the SNP?
    When are you going to let someone who knows what they're talking about take over your account?
This discussion has been closed.